Review of PaintScratch

Tel: 1-800-225-2855
collin.harris@gmail.com

kristink81
7/6/19

I ordered the paint color listed inside my car door. It was WAY too dark.. not even close to the correct color. So I sent the company a sample of the paint that they sent me, and they told me it was an "exact match" with their paint and therefore the problem must be with my car (the paint had faded or the car had been repainted). That's absolute crap. My car is only 4 years old, so there is no way that the paint could have faded to that extent, and it hasn't been repainted. The company doesn't offer refunds for paint, so I'm out $35. Please, don't waste your time or money with these con artists.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Try going to a local auto body shop supply store and compare the color code you sent us with their color chip. You will find they are in fact an exact match.
lore1
7/5/19

I am waiting on a paint pen for my compass Jeep. I am told that I have to wait till 914 orders are filled before they can ship my ONE touch up pen. When I contacted Customer service, can mo talk to an actual person. Got an email from some guy Dave telling me it takes this long to mix and make a single pen! Wanted to cancel, but no response to that, totally ignored me about my request. I usually check reviews before I order anything online. But I really dropped the ball here. This place should really be reported to the BBB . They are getting away with murder here, and to me they are crooks.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
When you provide the excellent service we do, word of mouth spreads and you get lots of orders. You order will be processed in the order received. Summer is a particularly busy time of year and we try our best to ship the orders out as quickly as possible. If you were our only customer, then yes, we could ship it the same day. Thanks for your business.
michaelb2069
7/1/19

I was getting paint for a brand new travel trailer they had all the info. The color they sent me was way lighter than the color of the travel trailers Rockwood only has one beige and they miss it totally and they wouldn't even take back the stuff I didn't open poor poor return policy. Do yourself a favor and buy from anyone else.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Don't you just hate it when a company has a CLEARLY stated policy about paint for motorhomes, travel trailers, boats and motorcycles and then ACTUALLY enforces the policy? You received THREE warnings before you ordered. We have no color chips for these off branded colors and have nothing to compare them to. Please believe our return policy next time!
michaelv298
6/21/19

Any normal business has some kind of return policy. These wise guys don't.
They do communicate with you but at the end of all those threads back and forth you would realize that the bottom line is: if you for any reason are not happy with your purchase, forget it - no return or refund are available.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
If you read our return policy which is quite clear BEFORE you order, it is actually very reasonable. See https://www.paintscratch.com/support/returns.htm There are certain makes and models which we have no color chips for and you receive numerous warnings about these colors...again, before you order. These colors are not returnable or refundable and this information is given many times on our site.

For those of you reading this, the name Sitejabber says it all! For real reviews, look at our feedback rating on Amazon which is 94% which is outstanding for a custom paint business.
billym152
5/20/19

Ordered touch up paint a month ago. They sent paint for model year 2018 vehicle, mine is 2016. After over a month explaining and sending pictures of the issue and the paint color I need, they just ignore my emails. They responded a couple of times but took zero action, and I still do not have the paint. Beyond terrible customer service.....I would avoid using this company at all costs.

Just in case they read this and decide to actually help, my order number is 828157.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
You ordered paint for a 2016 Forest-River Motorhome, Light Sand Gray 338196K. Our site clearly states BEFORE you order:

==============
Make sure you know your Forest-River color code and are not ordering based on the color samples shown which may be inaccurate.. We cannot guarantee a color match for Forest-River colors because we do not have the color chips. More...
In most cases our match for Forest-River colors is excellent, but we simply cannot guarantee it without the factory color chips. The color(s) shown below are approximations and may not be accurate. There are no refunds for these colors, so we recommend ordering a small quantity of paint to check the match first, or send us a part for custom matching. We will not remix this paint even if the color does not match.
==============================================
This warning is given several times on our site BEFORE you order. I believe you probably did not order the correct color code and all we can do is send you what you ordered. We sent you the 2016, not the 2018.
daveh318
5/18/19

THESE THIEVES BASICALLY WILL SEND YOU CRAP MISMATCHED PAINT FOR A 300% PROFIT. THEY ARE TOTALLY SCREWING PEOPLE OVER WITH THEIR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PAINT. PAINT CODES ARE USELESS WITH THESE IDIOTS. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BLACK, NOT GRAY! JERKS. Hey Collin you are one of the inept morons that contribute to this company's utter FAILURE AT MATCHING PAINT CODES. THERE IS ONLY ONE OBSIDIAN PAINT CODE 212. That's it. No choices, no room for mistaking the code. That's why they assign codes to a paint color, You idiot. And what??? You'll be happy to remix it?? HOW ABOUT FLYING OUT HERE AND RE-PREPPING MY BUMPER AND REIMBURSING ME FOR THE HOURS OF TIME I SPENT DOING EVERYTHING PERFECTLY. And by the way, if you dolts did a little R&D on paint codes, you wouldn't have to keep remixing for people. WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING IS REFUNDING MY MONEY. After that, you should drive into a bridge abutment and remove yourself from the human gene pool.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I apologize you did not have a good experience with our company. Most customers have an excellent experience with our service. You can check out our Amazon rating at 92%! I suspect you were one of our customers who guessed at your color code and never actually found it. We can only ship you what you ordered. If you did find your color code and the paint did not match, we are happy to remix the paint.
chrisb1086
4/9/19

Bought 3 paint sticks from them. First none matched , then when I tried to do a spot on my 90k lexus the stick just started leaking paint all over my car. Contacted them through email and was told it was all my fault. These people are so arrogant I will never deal with them again. Would like to see them use this s..t

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I apologize you did not have a good experience with our company. Most customers have an excellent experience with our service. You can check out our Amazon rating at 92%! Did you read the paint pen instructions? If you had, you would not have had the leaking issue. I would take a moment to read through https://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up-paint-directions/paintpen.htm which will also explain why your pen leaked.

I am also confused why you went ahead and used a paint pen which did not match? We have a form at https://www.paintscratch.com/support/returns.htm you can fill out for paint you feel did not match. All we can do is send you the original factory paint for your vehicle.
waynec169
3/9/19

In 2 seperate orders I ordered 2-12oz cans of base coat and 1 can of clear coat using Fleetwood specific paint codes, 745477K & 745473K & high gloss clear coat.. Base coat colors were exact match, maybe a bit darker due to sun fading of original paint. Problem was the high gloss clear coat mix was not clear coat, but instead was reducer. After spraying my base coats and waiting for the base to set I sprayed what was labeled clear coat over the base and the (clear coat) / reducer streamed off leaving a white streaky resldue over the surface, see attached photo. Using Paint Scratch's web site I filed a complaint and they immediately responded stating they are not responsible for paint matches and the clear coat needs to be applied by a professional paint shop. So, I used a good portion of the clear coat to remove the damaged portion of base coat down to the original prepared surface. I'm waiting to hear back from paint scratch to resolve the situation.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
If you had an issue with our clearcoat, you should fill out the form at: https://www.paintscratch.com/support/returns.htm . Also, we do not sell reducer in a spray can so I'm unclear if this was even our product. We would never tell someone to have their paint applied by a professional! The whole idea of our site is for DIY!
jennam63
3/1/19

Sent me a gallon of chroma base that was color perfect, ordered a quart more and it was way off in color, not even close,, from a red to a plum color and told me to read the small print. I am on my own. I am painting two more cars this month and they get jack$#*!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I just looked through our email logs and I did not see where you notified us about the Lotus paint we sent you?
pierrep38
2/14/19

Providing the factory color code, I ordered 4 cans of single part metallic tan spray paint. A gold color, dull paint, easily damaged by rubbing alcohol, was supplied.
PaintScratch (paintscratch.com) refused to provide any help or to fill a suggested new order.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We do not sell rubbing alcohol. We sell rubbing compound which is used to smooth and shine the paint.
steves933
2/1/19

What a joke!!! I put on 10 cotes and the color is off and still doesnt cover the primer. Could use a full can and still not cover. I get better coverage and color match going to ACE Hardware and buying it. Waste of time and money. Thanks for wasting $100, I can do that at a bar!! Second pic is the color I ordered.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Looking at the picture, it looks like the original paint is quite faded. I suspect you tried to cover a much larger area and did not put on two coats of full wet paint.
yanjiez
11/19/18

I bought the pens in July, as soon as I received I opened the color pen and tried on a piece of paper. Then I followed the instruction and cleaned the tip and stored it. I decided to use it after about 4 months, and what surprised me what the pen dried out. I contacted them and they said it was out of 75 days window. So I have to make a new order. No way. Stay away from the crap product otherwise you will regret badly!!!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Our directions are very clear on how to store the paint pen. If you store it in a cool dry place, it will last for years. One hour in a hot glove compartment and it will dry out.
peterm538
9/13/18

Sent me a gold metallic, my color is plain creamy beige....no metallic paint anywhere on vehicle. Read their return policy, no returns EVER, even if they screwed up. Wonder what lawyer wrote this ironclad no return POS! $38.00 for a can of useless paint!!! I suggest you go to auto parts store with color in hand, buy 3 or 4 colors close match. Use the one that's closest and keep the other 3 for hobbies, same amount of $$$ in the long run. In fact I'll give my wife this gold metallic for her hobbies. DO NOT PURCHASE UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE OF THE COLOR YOU WANT MATCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We can only send the color code you ordered. We do not offer returns on paint ordered motorhomes, boats, motorcycles and this is clearly stated on our site BEFORE you order as 2e do not have color chips to compare the paint to. We recommend ordering a very small amount and making sure you have correctly identified your color code.
tonyk108
8/17/18

They sent me paint that was 2 shades lighter than my paint, even the underside of my deck lid that was still in great shape was darker but they will offer no help, a complete waste of time and money, save yourself the trouble and use a reputable paint shop!!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We will remix the paint unless it is an off brand or pre 1986. I wonder if you filled out a trouble ticket to let us know the issue?
billm440
6/22/18

Blame damaged products and late delivery on UPS. They use standard PPG paint that you can get locally for a ton less. Don't bother.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I am curious where you can purchase custom made PPG paint for a "ton less" ? If your package was damaged by UPS, we immediately send out a new order at no charge.
aaronc143
6/18/18

Ordered quarts of primer, base, and clear.
The good: received paint with satisfactory match first try. Provided code and vin
Con: prices are an absolute joke. Find a local autobody supply with quality paint matching capabilities. With limited knowledge of autobody paint I was willing to make this order based on their match guarantee. For 150 dollar base coat quart I was expecting a high quality paint. You will receive ppg Omni matched. I ran out and purchased additional Omni locally for 50 dollars matched. 100 dollar additional markup is in my eyes robbery, and the same goes for their primer and clear. Avoid this company.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
If you can find a quart of PPG paint for $50, I would certainly buy it. This is below our cost for the paint.
seanb138
5/14/18

I ordered spray paint, primer, and clearcoat to repaint the bumper on my 2013 Ford F150. I followed the instructions exactly and my paint code was verified correct by Ford. I tested the paint and the color was a match. When I finished the process and applied the clear coat the paint appeared non-metallic. My truck has a metallic finish. I contacted the company and sent them photos. I sent the paint back at their request and my cost. They sent me a new can of paint which I tested and the metallic finish was correct. I now have to start the process over because they sent the wrong paint to start. I asked them to provide the primer and clearcoat and I was told I would have to buy them. I have wasted numerous hours only to be brushed aside after they had my money. They make mistakes and don't stand by their products. Stay away from this company.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Many paint colors have several formulas. We usually send out the most common formula, unless a VIN is given.
This is a very unfair review. You only had to send a sample of the paint, not the spray can back. We came through with the correct paint and then you wanted free items?? Very unfair!
davidm1238
4/27/18

Dont believe the liars and dont give them your credit card number.There is a good chance they will not send you what you ordered even if you go by there paint code numbers.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I apologize you did not order the correct paint. We have numerous warnings on our site when ordering paint for motorhomes, motorcycles, off makes, etc. as we do not color chips for these makes so we cannot compare the paint to a paint chip. In fact you get three warnings BEFORE you order these colors.. One of warnings says to "Order a small quantity to make sure it matches." So why did this customer order a quart? Did this customer even order the correct paint in the first place?
geoffreyj14
10/20/17

Just finished paint and clear coat on rust repaired areas of my 1993 Subaru Impreza wagon.

For a complete amateur, working outdoors, my repair job was about a 7.5 out of 10.

The paint color match for my 24 1/2 year old vehicle is difficult to believe. Say, 11 out of 10.

Thanks for a great product. Please see (cheap camera) photos attached.

Geoff J
Bay Village, OH

Tip for consumers: I ordered one can of primer, TWO of color and one clear coat.

maxh58
9/18/17

Needed to touch up a scratch on my '99 Audi A4. Ordered the paint pen kit knowing that the fix would be hard considering I'm not a professional. I'm pleased with the product and did a decent job at retouching my vehicle after spending time with all the instructions on the site (who would have thought auto paint was so complicated). Glad to keep the rust from building without breaking the bank at an auto shop. I' definitely recommend this product.

jamess591
8/17/17

I have used their spray paint for several times. This very last time, I ordered the same paint as before, paint came out completely wrong, a blind man can see it was an error. Emailed them pictures of the grossly different color with side by side comparison. They insist you go through the process of sending them a sample, a waste of time and effort. So, if you order from them, and if the color comes out wrong, you are out of luck. No way to talk to a real person. Would not buy from them again.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We are very strict about following our policies for paint which doesn't match. This process has worked for us for nearly 20 years and we feel we serve the customer much better following procedures. I apologize you do not like our terms.
nathanj28
5/11/17

These guy name by Collin really get into your mind and get every dime you have.
imagine 20yrs in business like this way these guys made a millions & millions dollars from hard working Sucker like you and I.....

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Sir, how do we "get every dime you have."?? We sell touch up paint and work very hard providing excellent customer service. We have a 98% approval rating on Amazon from real buyers. Did you actually even purchase our products?
grantf13
4/25/17

I really wished I had read some reviews before ordering. They sent me clear coat and insisted, that was what I had ordered. I can get clear coat for a 4th of what they charge. And their spray tips suck!! (horrible spray pattern). They just keep sending lame emails, rather then just send out another stupid can , morons!! Now we can all go on every site we find so when some one Google's "paint scratch.com" they will get an ear full. Not very smart business people,.....

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
What did you order? Some customers do just order clearcoat. Most know what they are ordering, but occasionally, we get a disgruntled customer who thought "clearcoat" (which is a clear paint designed to go over the actual basecoat), should match their vehicle. Clearcoat is just, well clear and has no color in it at all. In 20 years of business, we have never not sent out what a customer ordered.
andrews260
4/15/17

This is second can, first worked great, perfect match but alas was not quite enough to
finish job. Thanks for a great product.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you follow all of the directions. Some of the comments I read below are from customers who appear disgruntled never read anything on the site.

sunnyc9
1/16/17

Please do not order from them. I order their product and decided it wasn't for me literally 17 hours ago. They still charged me for the base paint.

If you don't believe me please look at their return policy.

I assure you it is not a friendly return policy

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We have this policy because every order is custom made. You must agree to this condition before you can place an order. If we didn't begin working on orders as soon as possible, we would get hopelessly behind. If we have already put time in making your order, I feel we deserve to be compensated.

I would use the paint within six months.

By Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Questions? Get answers from the PaintScratch staff and other customers.

11 Photos for PaintScratch