Review of PaintScratch

Tel: 1-800-225-2855
collin.harris@gmail.com

yanjiez
11/19/18

I bought the pens in July, as soon as I received I opened the color pen and tried on a piece of paper. Then I followed the instruction and cleaned the tip and stored it. I decided to use it after about 4 months, and what surprised me what the pen dried out. I contacted them and they said it was out of 75 days window. So I have to make a new order. No way. Stay away from the crap product otherwise you will regret badly!!!

peterm538
9/13/18

Sent me a gold metallic, my color is plain creamy beige....no metallic paint anywhere on vehicle. Read their return policy, no returns EVER, even if they screwed up. Wonder what lawyer wrote this ironclad no return POS! $38.00 for a can of useless paint!!! I suggest you go to auto parts store with color in hand, buy 3 or 4 colors close match. Use the one that's closest and keep the other 3 for hobbies, same amount of $$$ in the long run. In fact I'll give my wife this gold metallic for her hobbies. DO NOT PURCHASE UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE OF THE COLOR YOU WANT MATCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!

tonyk108
8/17/18

They sent me paint that was 2 shades lighter than my paint, even the underside of my deck lid that was still in great shape was darker but they will offer no help, a complete waste of time and money, save yourself the trouble and use a reputable paint shop!!

billm440
6/22/18

Blame damaged products and late delivery on UPS. They use standard PPG paint that you can get locally for a ton less. Don't bother.

aaronc143
6/18/18

Ordered quarts of primer, base, and clear.
The good: received paint with satisfactory match first try. Provided code and vin
Con: prices are an absolute joke. Find a local autobody supply with quality paint matching capabilities. With limited knowledge of autobody paint I was willing to make this order based on their match guarantee. For 150 dollar base coat quart I was expecting a high quality paint. You will receive ppg Omni matched. I ran out and purchased additional Omni locally for 50 dollars matched. 100 dollar additional markup is in my eyes robbery, and the same goes for their primer and clear. Avoid this company.

seanb138
5/14/18

I ordered spray paint, primer, and clearcoat to repaint the bumper on my 2013 Ford F150. I followed the instructions exactly and my paint code was verified correct by Ford. I tested the paint and the color was a match. When I finished the process and applied the clear coat the paint appeared non-metallic. My truck has a metallic finish. I contacted the company and sent them photos. I sent the paint back at their request and my cost. They sent me a new can of paint which I tested and the metallic finish was correct. I now have to start the process over because they sent the wrong paint to start. I asked them to provide the primer and clearcoat and I was told I would have to buy them. I have wasted numerous hours only to be brushed aside after they had my money. They make mistakes and don't stand by their products. Stay away from this company.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Many paint colors have several formulas. We usually send out the most common formula, unless a VIN is given.
This is a very unfair review. You only had to send a sample of the paint, not the spray can back. We came through with the correct paint and then you wanted free items?? Very unfair!
davidm1238
4/27/18

Dont believe the liars and dont give them your credit card number.There is a good chance they will not send you what you ordered even if you go by there paint code numbers.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I apologize you did not order the correct paint. We have numerous warnings on our site when ordering paint for motorhomes, motorcycles, off makes, etc. as we do not color chips for these makes so we cannot compare the paint to a paint chip. In fact you get three warnings BEFORE you order these colors.. One of warnings says to "Order a small quantity to make sure it matches." So why did this customer order a quart? Did this customer even order the correct paint in the first place?
geoffreyj14
10/20/17

Just finished paint and clear coat on rust repaired areas of my 1993 Subaru Impreza wagon.

For a complete amateur, working outdoors, my repair job was about a 7.5 out of 10.

The paint color match for my 24 1/2 year old vehicle is difficult to believe. Say, 11 out of 10.

Thanks for a great product. Please see (cheap camera) photos attached.

Geoff J
Bay Village, OH

Tip for consumers: I ordered one can of primer, TWO of color and one clear coat.

maxh58
9/18/17

Needed to touch up a scratch on my '99 Audi A4. Ordered the paint pen kit knowing that the fix would be hard considering I'm not a professional. I'm pleased with the product and did a decent job at retouching my vehicle after spending time with all the instructions on the site (who would have thought auto paint was so complicated). Glad to keep the rust from building without breaking the bank at an auto shop. I' definitely recommend this product.

jamess591
8/17/17

I have used their spray paint for several times. This very last time, I ordered the same paint as before, paint came out completely wrong, a blind man can see it was an error. Emailed them pictures of the grossly different color with side by side comparison. They insist you go through the process of sending them a sample, a waste of time and effort. So, if you order from them, and if the color comes out wrong, you are out of luck. No way to talk to a real person. Would not buy from them again.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We are very strict about following our policies for paint which doesn't match. This process has worked for us for nearly 20 years and we feel we serve the customer much better following procedures. I apologize you do not like our terms.
nathanj28
5/11/17

These guy name by Collin really get into your mind and get every dime you have.
imagine 20yrs in business like this way these guys made a millions & millions dollars from hard working Sucker like you and I.....

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Sir, how do we "get every dime you have."?? We sell touch up paint and work very hard providing excellent customer service. We have a 98% approval rating on Amazon from real buyers. Did you actually even purchase our products?
grantf13
4/25/17

I really wished I had read some reviews before ordering. They sent me clear coat and insisted, that was what I had ordered. I can get clear coat for a 4th of what they charge. And their spray tips suck!! (horrible spray pattern). They just keep sending lame emails, rather then just send out another stupid can , morons!! Now we can all go on every site we find so when some one Google's "paint scratch.com" they will get an ear full. Not very smart business people,.....

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
What did you order? Some customers do just order clearcoat. Most know what they are ordering, but occasionally, we get a disgruntled customer who thought "clearcoat" (which is a clear paint designed to go over the actual basecoat), should match their vehicle. Clearcoat is just, well clear and has no color in it at all. In 20 years of business, we have never not sent out what a customer ordered.
andrews260
4/15/17

This is second can, first worked great, perfect match but alas was not quite enough to
finish job. Thanks for a great product.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you follow all of the directions. Some of the comments I read below are from customers who appear disgruntled never read anything on the site.

sunnyc9
1/16/17

Please do not order from them. I order their product and decided it wasn't for me literally 17 hours ago. They still charged me for the base paint.

If you don't believe me please look at their return policy.

I assure you it is not a friendly return policy

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We have this policy because every order is custom made. You must agree to this condition before you can place an order. If we didn't begin working on orders as soon as possible, we would get hopelessly behind. If we have already put time in making your order, I feel we deserve to be compensated.
lenneyh1
11/9/16

Beware off these scammers paint is way off from what u ordered, then thet wont refund your money back but paypal will get your money back for you. Crooks are what these guys are!!!!!!!!!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
If you order paint for a pre-1986 vehicle, an off brand vehicle (i.e. a Morgan), Motorhome, motorcycle or trailer, we have numerous warnings on our site BEFORE you order. In fact, these warnings are shown several times on our site. Since we do not have color chips on these types of paint colors, we will not refund your order even if the paint does not match.

Most of our customers understand this and order a very small amount of paint to make sure it matches before ordering a larger size. There are very few companies even willing to make these types of paint colors and most of our customers are quite happy with our paint matching.
bubbak
10/6/16

Ordered bright silver paint for a Lexus. I provided them with the Vin # and they sent dark gray paint. Then they refused to refund my money. They played games with me by requesting that i fill out their forms and then they wanted me to mail them a sample of the paint that they sold me. Finally i disputed the charge with Paypal and they still refused to refund the purchase price. Fortunately, Paypal ruled in my favor and i received a full refund. I personally believe that these guys are running a scam. Just look at how many others received the wrong color.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
I apologize you never read our instructions on our site. The VIN does NOT give us the color code at all, just a variance on an existing color code. We requested a sample back from you, but you chose not to follow our instructions as agreed on BEFORE you can even place an order.

If you had sent the sample in as requested, we would have sent out a new order at NO charge to you. Most vehicles have more than one formula for an existing paint code. If you had given us another chance, the second paint formula we sent you would have been an excellent match.
rickt25
8/17/15

The paint they sent doesn't even come close to the color on my vehicle. They won't offer refund. They won't send me the correct paint. Just a bunch of emails accusing me that I didn't order the correct paint. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We have instructions on our site when your paint does not match. If you had followed these instructions, we could have solved your paint matching issue.

We trust our customers to send the correct paint code to us. All we can do is match the color code you have ordered from us. If you did not order the correct code in the first place, the paint would not match.
rickb45
4/21/15

Ordered Very Dark Red Metallic paint for my Yamaha, fully knowing they didn't guarantee an exact match. The paint I received was Black Metallic, not even a hint of any red. Was told there is no guarantee. May as well have tried to match some Rustoleum from ACE Hardware. DO NOT order paint from these people.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
If you order paint for a Yamaha, our site comes up with this warning:

====
Make sure you know your Yamaha color code and are not ordering based on the color samples shown which may be inaccurate.. We cannot guarantee a color match for Yamaha colors because we do not have the color chips.

In most cases our match for Yamaha colors is excellent, but we simply cannot guarantee it without the factory color chips. The color(s) shown below are approximations and may not be accurate. There are no refunds for these colors, so we recommend ordering a small quantity of paint to check the match first, or send us a part for custom matching. We will not remix this paint even if the color does not match.
====

This warning is about as explicit as it gets. This warning is repeated several times and you even have to agree to a checkbox warning you again "Are you sure you want to order this??"

The problem with motorcycle paint is often there is no paint code! So often, we will mix these colors according to what you have sent us. This is all we can do.

Fortunately, when most of our customers order for their motorcycles, they are quite pleased with the results.
roryt8
10/6/14

Ordered touch up paint (green silver metallic) and received a dark brown gray metallic. Contacted paint touch up and they said no returns. If you order white and get black to bad. Their screw up and my screw up for buying from them.

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
We have an excellent policy of letting you send in a sample of the paint and we will remix the order for free should the paint we sent you not match our factory chip. How much fairer can we be?
chuckc14
6/20/14

return policy treats all factory color code as custom and wont allow returns for unopened/unused paint

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
There are several hundred thousand paint colors so yes, each order is custom mixed from scratch (even factory colors!) and this is why we do not allow returns. Could anyone imagine stocking all these colors? Some would sit for years until the paint was no longer usable. I would suggest you resell the paint on eBay as this has worked for many of our customers.
nickh21
4/27/12

I have owned several cars over the years and each one always ended up getting a chip or scratch at some point. I first found PaintScratch when my 1997 Subaru Outback got scratched by some skis in a resort parking lot. I ordered touch up paint in a neat little paint pen from them along with some clearcoat and was able to hide the scratch quite well. I've since ordered for another subaru and a toyota and always gotten perfect color matches. Strongly recommend!

Response from Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Thanks for the nice comment! I just discovered this site and wanted to reply to every comment made here.

I would use the paint within six months.

By Collin H., PaintScratch Representative
Questions? Get answers from the PaintScratch staff and other customers.

3 Photos for PaintScratch