Review of NorthernTool

Tel: 1-800-221-0516
intlenglishsales@northerntool.com

philipj53
3/19/19

I will never buy from Northern Tool again. They are totally incompetent and have absolutely no interest in solving the customer's problem, even when it is caused by them.

Save your money and shop elsewhere.

+++

I bought some items from Northern Tool through two orders placed in response to an email marketing message notifying me of a sale they were having.

The suggested delivery dates came and went so I emailed customer "care" asking if there was a revised delivery date.

Rather than just admitting that they'd overlooked my order, I was told that they had just cancelled my order. When I challenged why they had done this rather than just fulfill it they said that there was a problem with the delivery address.

I send them a screenshot of the order as placed showing that there was no error with the delivery address.

Customer "care" then changed their story do a different fictitious excuse - now it was allegedly due problem with my payment. Again I sent a screen shot showing the transaction as having been approved by PayPal with the funds still sitting available for them to complete the transaction.

Now the customer "care" excuse changed to that they couldn't see the status on their screens so there would not help me further and I would need to re-do the order.

I asked if Northern Tool would honor the sale pricing as the error was clearly on their side. Customer "care"s response that it was my problem that they had messed up my orders and that I would need to re-purchase my items at the non-sale price. Despite several messages suggesting that in the circumstances it would be reasonable to ask that they take my order on the original terms, they flatly refused to do this. Their position was that the cost of their mistake was going to be my responsibility.

I told them that they had lost a customer for life and that I had no interest in doing business with them.

These people simply don't care about the buyer and just invent bogus reasons for their own incompetence.

It would have been simple matter just to admit that there had been a glitch and that they'd get things back on track and I would have been perfectly happy.

But their approach to taking care of the customer is to blame the buyer for their incompetence and expect the consumer to cover the cost of their mistakes.

You would be well advised to AVOID this company and shop somewhere that handles service issues professionally, and which does not invent false excuses for their own inadequacies.

winstonn5
2/27/19

Received snowblower a week late and after using it twice over 10 days, Northern Tool refused a return. So I have this expensive elephant which is unsatisfactory.

walters160
2/8/19

If you buy something from here make sure it's not something you use everyday or rely on to run your business because the tools though cheap will not last. You get what you pay for!!

nathanr98
12/28/18

Ordered scaffolding 3 weeks ago and am still waiting. To make things worse I called to verify and was told it was on the truck waiting to ship out so I ordered another section. My second order was delivered over a week ago. Every time I call to find out a status I get nothing but lies from customer service.

katiec159
12/27/18

This year I have purchased over $1200 in merchandise from Northern Tool. Recently, I ordered work bench on December 2, 2018 to be delivered to store on December 11, 2018 for a project to be completed buy December 16. Called store on 11th, order not in. Store said call back the next day, order still not come in. Store said check back in on 15th, I also called Customer Service and store with no satisfaction, order not come in. Store said check back in another 2 days, called Customer Service and store, order still not come in. I called customer service, they said to wait another day and that the order had been delivered to a warehouse (7 miles) near me on December 7, but it still did not come into store. By this time it's a week past delivery date of December 11. No offer or satisfaction received from Customer Service or the store to resolve this matter of late delivery. Eventually I received a notice on December 23, 2018 that my order was at store. This is way past the December 11 delivery date. The work bench had been on pallets from December 7 to December 23!!

On December 27, 2018 I had not picked up order. Extremely upset. Called Customer Service the would not let me talk to someone in management. Customer Service offers $7 dollars of order or $10 off next order. I said I will not be ordering anything else from Northern Tool because of how Customer Service handled my order. Customer Service seemed not to care if they lost a customer. I felt offended with their offer and being refused to be able to talk with a manager. I'M THROUGH WITH NORTHERN TOOL

tammyh195
12/27/18

Do not order from this company! We placed an order for tool boxes over $1800.00 worth on 12/14/18 to be delivered on 12/20/18. On 12/21/18 with no show we contacted the company customer service only to be told they had no idea where it was, who it was shipped by or what the tracking number was. I was told she would call me back. Never did. I made several more calls only to be transferred to customer service over and over again because the phone number for customer service on my receipt is apparently not customer service. Each time being placed on hold for over 20 min. Because of the Christmas holiday I had to wait till the next business opened date. I called again. Same story. I emailed Alan in Customer Service, same story. I called again the next day and was told the Manufacture company that was suppose to have "shipped" my order was canceled and again they did not know where it was, no shipping company name and no tracking number. I was also told they would not charge my card until it was "shipped" the card was charged before Christmas. I contacted them again on 12/26/18 still same story. by 12/27/18 I am fed up and requested my funds be returned as I was able to located the boxes I need from a much more reliable Company. Now I am told I cannot get my money back and if I refuse the shipment they will charge me 15% for refusal of something they don't even know where it is!
Now as of 12/27/18 at 2:11pm I am told it was shipped on 12/26/18 - and may or may not be delivered on 1-3-2019. imagine that! yesterday they knew nothing. The people in customer service I have spoke with are Lisa, Hattie, and Alan, Requested a manager but they would not give me that information. Trust me - Stay away from this Company, there are many others out there that want your business.

liefh
12/24/18

DO NOT SHOP AT NORTHERN TOOL!!! If you have any last minute Christmas shopping to do, DO NOT shop at Northern Tool & Equipment!!! I bought a brand new 3300 psi pressure washer 9 days ago and the pump leaked water into the pump oil reservoir causing it to leak oil onto the ground and most likely ruining the pump! Same thing as having water in your engine oil! Now it has a warranty and I even bit on the extended warranty up-sale they push so hard for, bring it back expecting they would swap it for a new one, hey it's just NINE days old!! Nope!!! They want to look it over and most likely just replace the seal and then I have a pump that most likely will not last because of water in the oil!! I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars with this company over the years but that won't happen again!! Home Depot, Lowe's, Stein's even Walmart would have exchanged it! Spend your money where you get service, not at Northern Tool!! Especially not the one on Ambassador Caffery in Lafayette La.

christopherm568
12/18/18

After I discovered that the item I ordered was dangerous (unvented gas stove) I had to pay 113 dollars to ship back a 350 dollar stove. Also had to pay 44 to get it to my house. Reached out to them to try and get a partial refund on shipping. Got a rude response for "Shaun" I gave them the option of a partial refund or they can keep my money and fire Shaun. No success yet.

montea12
12/14/18

I have a panel cart that is so poorly designed that it's dangerous. I tried to submit a review and it just keeps rejecting. When I called customer service, they kept passing me around on hold. Every 10 minutes I would hear someone pick, clear their throat and then put me on hold again.
They have good carts for sale as well but this one should be discontinued (#52880). People need to know about the problem.

pavloss
11/29/18

no respect for returning customers, horrible customer service as well. also was charged 9.00 for a shipping order than contained 1 fuse for a pellet stove, this fuse is basically weightless, smaller than a penny, and lighter too.

perryb29
11/28/18
• Updated review

After a few more emails to northern tool they did make things right and I am happy with the out come. Thanks northern tool and the one customer service women that I finally got that wanted to help me out, they have at lease one good person there.

“NorTrac hydraulic valve”
4/7/17
• Previous review

I bought a NorTrac 2 spool hydraulic valve for a spare about a year and a half ago. Two days ago I needed to use it so I took it out of the box and installed it, but right away I knew there was something wrong with the valve. It only will move hydraulic fluid in one direction. It was bought as a 3-Position, 4-Way, Open Center, but it isn't. Contacted northern tool yesterday and got the runaround. The person I was talking to had no expertise or even knowledge about there products. Especially when they told me to get a hydraulic company to look at my machine, even when I was tired of telling them that the problem is with there valve. So than they said that it was my problem now because it is over a year old. But the valve is new and it is not what I had ordered, or they advertise the product wrong. Then they were very bold and not very good customer service when they asked me if I had any other questions on another item and I said you never solved this problem , when they actually hung up on me. So I guess I have a hydraulic valve for a heavy paper weight. Never will shop there again.

josephc467
11/16/18

Purchased a air compressor for home use received a e-rebate 6/28/18 for $200.00 made 1 purchase, balance $163.00, went to local store 11/15/ to purchase item; told date on form 10/31/18 was a expiration date, no reference to what date is. Called customer service told date would be extended till 11/21/18 but store would haft to call to process. Returned 11/16/18 to complete purchase customer supervisor denied claim. Reason for delay in use wife sick for 3 months than passed. Order # was 56776347

blairm50
11/14/18

I placed an order on 10/31 for a trash pump. I received an email on 11/1 asking me to confirm my shipping address. I called on 11/1 to confirm my shipping address. On 11/8, I called customer service because I never received tracking information and was told that whomever I spoke with on 11/1 did not remove the "hold" on my account. I was told my information is accurate and that the item would be shipped on 11/8 or 11/9. I still did not receive shipping information so I emailed customer service on 11/10, 11/11, and 11/12. I kept getting the same response that it takes 5-7 days for the order to be "received." It is unclear whether this means it takes the vendoe 5-7 days to receive your order from Northern Tool (which makes no sense), or that it takes 5-7 days for the item to arrive at your door. It is 11/14, and my order is still "processing." I cannot fathom why it is so difficult for an order to be placed, received, and shipped. Unfortunately, Northern Tool seems to be the only company that sells the trash pump I need and I am at their mercy. I have been unable to live in my lakehome for 3+ weeks now because my septic is full and the trash pump is the only way to clean it out (as we live down a hill and a septic truck cannot drive down). I would highly recommend that nobody order an item from this company if you have other options.

robertc1126
11/5/18

I ordered tires mounted on wheels for my John Deere lawn tractor. One was advertised @$27.55 and then two tires advertised @ $69.99 both with free shipping. Well I ordered two at $27.55 it took forever. Three weeks ito the order I called, they said they would notify me when they shipped. I said disregard I'm cancelling the order. Then they sent me an email 5 minutes later telling me I can't cancel the order because the tires and wheels have been shipped. I'm happy with the wheels and tires but not the customer service. BTW they changed the cost of the tires and wheels.

steveo122
11/1/18

They send me an Email titled In Store Fall Savings. Made special trip to store and nobody knew what I was talking about and wouldn't give me the prices in the email. False advertising and rude people. Will take my business somewhere else.

edwardh172
10/15/18

If I could give a negative number I would. I ordered a roof cover for my Polaris EFI 570 Ranger and they sent me the roof for a 900. They admitted to their mistake in the order and yet charged me $50 dollars to send it back. I reordered the roof part again the zipper broke on the first day right after it was put on. I called them and told them about the zipper and they say I have to wait to see if they will give me a full refund! I would run away from this company and go somewhere else with a reputable business name, even if the cost is higher.

karens772
10/10/18

I bought a $550 pump, installed it right out of the box, added gas (because you need gas to run it) and it did not work. So happy that I had purchased an extended warranty I returned it to the store for another one as it was one week old. Although I had drained it They were testy with me abut having gas in it but I had to see if it worked. Not only would they not exchange it but they charged me !0% to restock a machine that did not work. Unbelievable!k I have bought warranties on weed eaters as well and they always found an excuse to claim 'user error' so they did not have to fix it but instead directed me as to what I should purchase to fix it myself. I will NEVER buy anything from this company again. Great sale prices but when you need help with a piece of their equipment (with warranty in hand) they give you every excuse of why they will not fix it.

jimk231
9/16/18

Am sure they will be clossing down soon. Too many gentle customers ripped off. Kept my machine for alittle over two months as they initially gave me at most 2weeks to repair it. Their old mechanic could not finger out how to attach my parts so they bought their tripling prices. They then charge terrible labour just because someone took their sweet time to do a 45min job. On asking him, he had no clie how to run the machine. They then give me a bill equivalent to a new machine of the same. A rude manager namely steve tries to give me a rude face!! He needs to get fired. Am taking it with their head office then edit this. I should have read their reviews!!!

bobbim3
9/11/18

I placed an order via Amazon which indicated freight by a trucking company but did not indicate I would have to remove a 240lb product myself off of the truck. I submitted email request for accommodation with a response to call and pay $85 to have truck with lift deliver it. My follow up email indicated I could not physically remove the item and further requested copy of the verbiage stipulated in the company's response. My response from them was the same (to pay $85 to have delivered). The unprofessional tone of their C/S email had me livid; so I called and waited 25 minutes to hang up because CS left me on hold. I emailed to cancel the order and refused delivery. They "strive" to make the customer happy yet treat customers in this manner. Ridiculous! Hope to prevent this from occurring to another consumer.

teresam238
8/30/18

Purchased a post hole auger back in November used once, still under warranty, went to the store for repair was asked to come back in one week to drop off, they were 3 weeks behind, if I come back in one week then you will be 4 weeks behind, manager Robert Bruch got snotty , made the statement"Ya'll got all the answers" talking about me/us the customer. He finally said you can leave it but we want look at it for 3 weeks. I ask for his managers number after hesitation he gave me a number scratched on one of his business cards. I AM DONE!!!!

scottl279
8/28/18

I bought a 1/2 titan ratchet there and was a lifetime warranty and they would exchange it with no questions asked,well they now don't sell it and was told I have to go to titan company itself. That's not good business.They now sell clutch and could have replaced it with something equal the same.Well they lost me as a customer.I drove out of the way there to get stuff.

rayl118
8/21/18

After returning the same item 3 times, I'm done!
All idiots work there. No common sense!
CucmuejnclhuxjghlhgjvfjvhvcglkdkxkxuxcffjawhqkpcghnjhfuyfjochchhbvkggfjnkxGhjdlvvjhoxvchg kgjhghdlghtkvgjiffokhougkg

elycee
8/10/18

I ordered a planar combo for $600 which was supposed to be delivered by this past Wednesday. When I called after 30 minutes of holding, they told me that it was back ordered for another month. I asked them to cancel my order and I was assured that they would. Two days later I get a call saying it's still on it's way. Wont get it for at least another week, and if I dont want it, I have to refuse delivery and lose 15% of my money to a restocking fee. I thought I was dealing with a reputable company but their customer service and attention to detail has been negligible. They couldn't even provide a tracking number for this order.

jiml277
7/28/18

Finally had to cancel my order. Worse customer service to deal with and all they want is your money. Canceled after waiting and waiting.

marvinw35
7/25/18

Had our companies power washer for over two months without results. Had to send general manager of our company to the store to get any king of results. As of right now our company will not spend another dime with this company. Northern Tool doesn't place any valve on customer service and it shows. A pitiful bunch to say the least.

really bad ! They tok my money and deliver a cap worth 15 usd and keep 320 usd

By Svante K.

Questions? Get answers from the NorthernTool staff and other customers.

5 Photos for NorthernTool