Review of AceHardware

Tel: 1-866-290-5334
customersupport@acehardware.com

carmenr103
1/30/19

Worked there. Irate calls due to distribution center sending xmas supplies during a national flood down south instead of generators and much needed supplies. When called, they laughed.

eliasa29
9/25/18

This a great place to get tools of any kind. They have so many kinds of tools to choose from and all of them are offered at such great prices. I want to get them all!

edwardc199
8/15/18

Ace always delivers..They are always knowledgeable, polite, and professional.
They are helpful without being a nuisance . They ask simply if they can help you find something.
Gotta love them..Other businesses would benefit from their work ethic.

johnc705
5/24/18

Ordered a storm door, for 9 days the status kept coming up that it had been located in their warehouse and was waiting to ship. Then I get an e-mail out of the blue saying "hey, your order has been cancelled". Had to call to find out why, waited forever on their terrible phone system, eventually talked to a customer rep who left me on hold for a few minutes before she told me that I'd placed a "regular order" on Ace.com and I need to go into the store and place a "special order" because they don't have the storm door I wanted at their regular warehouse (because of the region I'm ordering in) but they do at their special warehouse.

I ordered on Ace.com after I tried to get a storm door at my local store and they told me they don't carry them (so they're sending me back to where I originally tried to buy the door from).

Sorry Ace, but I'm buying from someone else. You NEED to sort out your supply chain. Next time I need something you're certainly NOT going to be my first choice.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

robertl324
1,148 helpful votes
3/18/18

In a word: Franchised.

What this means to us is that businesses that are a franchise of a "parent" company Must buy their named merchandise from them. In this case the worlds largest hardware corporation. They make nothing, they buy everything, the cheapest possible, mostly from China just like Walmart or any of the rest of that ilk, then sell it to their captive "cooperative partners" at inflated prices, governed only by "all the traffic will bear." And that is 5,008 stores in 2017, even though there was a massive move of their "partners" to get away from them only 2 and 3 years before. To us this means their prices will never be lower, as their goods are already 4th hand by the time they reach the store..that's China, their distributor, the corp, and the store profit all piled onto your pocketbook.

An example of this is a set of three "crafts" tools I bought a few years ago from a New Orleans French Market vendor. This was a pair of thin needle-nose pliers, a diagonal snip, and a pinch shears, all about 5 inches, in a folding case. The set cost me $3, no tax..made in China of course. About two years later I was in Mary's Hardware (Ace) and saw these pliers. The exact same ones. The pliers alone were $12.99. (they now also sell a 6 inch version for $18.99, and a 6½ for $22.99)

If we look at the breakdown of this, the vendor made profit at $3 for three in a case. You have to figure the vendor bought his though a distributor, and the typical markup being 100% for each, makes 300%, meaning the set was 75¢ from the factory, $1.50 at the distributor, and $3 to me. Ace Corp bought these pliers then, without a case, for one third of $1.50 or less, but call it 50¢. Since their retailer can't mark it up more than 100%, that means they sold a 50¢ pair of pliers to Mary's hardware for $6.50..a 700% increase..$13 to us. Can you still wonder why their prices are high, and their own people leaving them in droves?

There are additional factors to this that make virtually everyone besides the Corp Biggies unhappy with this situation, including their own "cooperative" members, which falls down on their employees, which in turn falls on our heads when we go into one of their stores. Have you noticed almost every review on them is negative?

I read literally hundreds for this review from many sites, and the overwhelming majority are negative..at least 50% saying they will Never go back. At the Ace Hardware site itself, I scrolled down through 2018 to 2010 and found 2..yes Two..reviews that were positive out of 8 Years! At Consumer Affairs they have Ace Hardware at a 1.2 rating with 80 complaints out of 95 "votes." Their next (last years) page having 79 out of 94 as complaints for the same 1.2 rating. Still looking I found a single 4.0 rating for a little backwoods store (Kendall's) that came from 9 reviews total.

Out of all these negative reviews around half are about "policy" (Corporate of course), and half about rude employees. I have to sympathize with both those things out of my own experience.

I bought a bike U lock, Masters, from Mary's Ace Hardware, for a premium price, and the key wouldn't open it without jimmying and wriggling. I took it back, with the receipt, and was told I'd have to send it to the manufacturer (at my own expense!) So I said, "I bought it from you, you made the profit, you send it back." "Oh no," she said, "We can't do that, it's store policy." (meaning Corporate policy, and part of their "training"). I asked her, "What about your 100% Satisfaction Guarantee then." Which is written on all their products, But! I searched about 15 versions of that online and and none came up with That, only returns and refund policy.. except there are no "refunds" either, only "In store credit vouchers," meaning once they've got your money you'll never see it again. Then this woman started to get irritated and sharp with me, "That's for 'Our' products. You'll have to send That back to the manufacturer." I told her, "I only want an exchange. Your "policy" doesn't say on selected items, it says 100%. This thing doesn't work, I'm not satisfied. I want another one, not a fob-off that's going to cost me more money and some month or so without a lock on my bike." And she said, "I can't help that. That's the way it is." "So you're not going to honor your guarantee," I asked. "That's the way it is," she replied again. "I want to see the manager." "I Am the manager," is what I got back. "I see. Well I certainly won't be coming back here anymore," I threw at her, and got, "That's fine too," for my trouble.

Amongst these reviews I find they've got some excuse for every contingency: You paid cash? You'll have to wait two weeks for a check in the mail for That. Tax on specials is charged on the original price, Then the discount is taken off..Ace Policy. (That is flat illegal!) Returned machinery, still in it's box, unused, must be sent to their (own) "mechanic" for verification, which (two weeks later) then states it needs repair (Duuh) which You then have to pay for. Ace (Corp) policy plainly states returns to Any store, yet every store claims they are independently owned and will not accept etc. But! EVERY Ace Hardware is franchised or they wouldn't Be an Ace Hardware, thus NONE accept returns from another store.

Why is this? How did this come to be? Well basically because $h!t runs downhill. I have all the figures, which are too much for here, but it costs about a million bucks to get into a franchise. This does not include the $35,000 for the required (corporate of course) "training program" (6 to 9 months) to get a (their) certification so you can even qualify. Unlike virtually every other, Ace franchises do Not come with exclusive territory. They Must buy their stock from Ace Corp. All this so the Corp can make 700% profit while their retailers make 100%. But it gets juicer yet.

Remember their cooperative partners leaving them in droves? Well I'm sure the Corp loves that. You see a store owner can sell the store, if he even owns it, but he can't sell the franchise. Those ppl have to "qualify" and buy in on their own. So every time someone gets out, the Corp gets to sell all that all over again. Pretty tricky huh? But.."there's a sucker born every minute."

You can imagine how unhappy these ppl must be, which comes down on their employees, which lands on Our heads every time one of us enters an Ace Hardware store.

dachsiel
12/18/17

Ace Hardware sent out a coupon for 50 percent off any item. My friend went in to town to buy a $13 bag of chicken feed hoping to apply the 50 percent off coupon discount. The owner of the Ace Hardware franchise store in or near Mineral Springs, North Carolina, said that even though the legal wording on the coupon stated there were no exclusions and according to legal wording on the coupon, it should be good for half off of the chicken feed price, he, the Ace Hardware franchisee / store owner said that he just decided on his own not to apply the coupon because he could not make enough money on such a low priced item.

Needless to say my friend was disgusted with the way the Ace Hardware Store was operating and he told the owner he would not shop there even again. I wrote to the corporate Ace Hardware website two times and asked them to send my friend a coupon for a free bag of chicken feed to make up for their bad illegal treatment of the customer and reneging on the legal coupon offer. They have ignored my emails so I hope they will get themselves enough bad will from people to pay them back by not buying anything from them.

Since they did not make up for their error and make sure my friend got the free bag on chicken feed, I am writing this complaint against all Ace Hardware Stores all over the USA and hoping that people will not shop there because they do not live up to their advertised offers and these Ace Hardware Stores just get to each make up their own policies as they see fit in individual customer circumstances.

The beginning part of this YouTube video tells about what my Friend experienced.

...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHjcLa5s7Y...

erase the leading and trailing three dots for correct address

Mini! van Vs Garage: They Both Lost

These small hardware stores are beginning to act worse that the big box hardware stores so maybe we ought to all just stay away from them as you cannot expect small-town community hospitality or fair customer care.

Ace is NOT the helpful place.

CareCenter@AceHardware.com

I am doing all this complaining on behalf of what happened to my Internet friend totally on my own with no coaxing from anyone solely because I just do not like to see people treated unfairly and dishonestly.

chrissyh4
12/7/16

My local Ace Hardware store is located on Orange Ave in Orlando,Fl. If you need to paint anything, go see their paint specialist! Roger is AMAZING! He is so knowledgeable. The entire staff is awesome. I have never had a bad experience there. Love, love, love the customer service! Its rare these days to ever get to say this. If your local. They are worth the trip

lizs56
10/25/16

My local Ace Hardware is a wonderful store. But I couldn't get into the store in time for a sale, so I looked to see if Ace had an online store. AceHardware.com was the worst experience ever. The site wouldn't take my coupon so I contacted their support person who told me to place the order and she would have the company reimburse me when the order shipped. Guess what? Two follow up calls later, the online site still would not reimburse me. Plus you don't get to speak to the person who denies you, just the phone rep who pretty much knows nothing. Avoid at all costs!!!

ronnyd9
9/22/16

Our local stores are awesome! I use the website to get a general idea of what I want to purchase the go to the store. There is one guy who knows EVERYTHING and a bunch of helpful kids that escort you around to ensure you find everything you need

myronb18
1/25/16

My local Ace Hardware which is on west Francis Ave. in Spokane is the BEST ! Really it is. They are personable , friendly , knowledgeable , and almost all the time greet me at the door as I come in. The owners are there, managers are there helping you all they can. And if they do uotknow the answer, they don't leave you the go through the store with you finding your answer, or they'll get another staffer to give input. They help you find an answer and that's very important when you do all the nDIY projects like I do.. 5 star rating without a doubt !

timj32
12/12/14

Love my local ACE but the online site is horrible. Experience was a disaster from beginning to end. I have looked online and have never seen such horrible ratings for an online store so I guess I am not the only one. Stick to reputable online vendors folks such as Amazon.
Tim J

stevent23
7/31/13

Online site for the offline chain of hardware stores. I grew up going to Ace Hardwares but there isn't one in the town I live in now, so this is my go to online spot for buying random home improvement and other household repair and maintenance products. Paint, nails, duct tape, you name it.

Questions? Get answers from the AceHardware staff and other customers.

AceHardware?