NewspaperArchive reviews

Tel: 1607-2016108
customerservice@newspaperarchive.com

janj17
5/25/19

I guess there is no customer service associated with this website. Too bad that I didn't realize this until too late. Do not do business with this company. They do not respond to any type of communication.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Jan,

Simply untrue.

We handle several hundred customer interactions a day in minutes. Just email us at customerservice@newspaperarchive.com

NewspaperArchive®
doriss74
5/15/19
• Updated review

Chris wrote there was "nothing" wrong with my account and they did try to help me. Yes he did send me a link to reset my password after I suggested it and after he cancelled my account. Yes, it is true that I was unable to log in and unable use the search engine. I wasn't lying just to close my account and get a refund. I "wouldn't" do something like that. I wanted to log in. I "wanted" to be able to use it. But newspaperarchives.com was fined $100,000 in 2016 for deceptive practices.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Doris,

We were fined nothing for deceptive practices. The company settled out of court with the Iowa Attorney General with no wrongdoing in 2015. We broke no laws whatsoever and we paid a negotiated settlement to end the issue and move on. How that settlement applies to your issues is that it does not. You still have your account, you still have the access for which you paid, and you have a new password.
“bad customer service”
5/8/19
• Previous review

On May 9, 2019 I was logged in and for awhile everything was great and then suddenly I was unable to see any newspapers. I logged out and logged back in and even rebooted my computer. I sent a customer service ticket and told them what happened. I did this several times. They kept telling me nothing was wrong and I said yes there is. My final request was to let them let me reset my password which they didn't. They kept sending me my old password which I hadn't used in years. I told them that. I finally said either fix it or let me cancel my account and give me whatever money I had left because if I couldn't use it I shouldn't have let my money go toward the rest of my subscription if I couldn't use it. They finally told me there was nothing wrong and they cancelled my account which was subscribed until September and told me I wouldn't get a refund. So I have a cancelled account that is good until September but can't use it. Interesting. I agree with poster and would give zero star rating if I could. They treated me as if I was stupid or lying even though I used their site many times. Well not anymore. They even had their toll free customer phone number cancelled so that alone should speak volumes.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Doris, We did answer every question you asked, including provide you with the password reset link. There is no problem with your account. As you threatened, demanded, and cajoled us that if we didn't solve your non-existent problem you wanted it cancelled, so we obeyed and we did cancel your account. You have used your account very actively and it is non-refundable according to the Terms you Read and Accepted before you subscribed and your account will remain available to you for your use throughout the remainder of your subscription. Our staff is not online to absorb your insults. If you want to reset your password, simply use the password reset link provided. Good day.
maryh756
5/13/19

Search engine is the WORSTt I've ever used. Terms and conditions very tricky and impossible to get any resolution to poor results. They claim I signed up and requested refund which they claim I was given. Then the second time I signed up (why would I sign up again if not happy the first time?) That I used the search engine. I admit I used the search engine because they sent an email claiming they had new results for a search I did. The so called finds were only for the person's middle initial and not even the first or last name.

The view was also very poor.

Just stay away.

lorettab55
4/24/19

Within 24 hours I tried to cancel 6 mo subscription $74 but was charged $80. I did not find anywhere on the site that I could cancel so I sent an email. To this moment no reply. I notified my credit card company and am disputing. I tried numerous searches and found 1 item - a marriage picture I could use. Every search was information I already had and had gotten from Ancestry.com or Newspapers.com. Searching here is extraordinarily difficult and there are many steps you have to go through to even begin searching. I've inquired as to why my 6 months was $80 while they show 6 months as $49.95, hum! If you want great results use anything but NewspaperArchive. I am most likely STUCK with this charge but I will make every effort I can to warn others to stay away, far, far, away. Watch what you check off too as there is something you check and agree to not dispute fee. In my opinion just not worth the effort when I can do better other places.

melv13
4/23/19

Bait and switch. Could not make an individual newspaper page large enough to view photos and to read the actual photo descriptions. Had to upgrade to actually have the image of the newsprint large enough to read. Did not refund even after just 10 minutes as a member... lost 1 month membership.

alanb332
3/25/19

They had promised to remove an article -- and lied through their teeth. The good news is that some in the media are apparently looking at their sleazy practices

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
We make no promises about removing content. Each request is reviewed upon its own merit and the applicable laws in that jurisdiction.
marko176
3/25/19

Tried using the obituary section , my parents no information,uncles and friends no information, could not find any useful information, will try and stop payment with credit card

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Mark, Please try your search again in the newspaper section. There are hundreds of millions of obituaries in the newspapers that no one has clipped yet (to put them in the obituaries section). Any member can cancel at any time. Log in, choose Account, choose Cancel. If you are eligible for a refund according to our Terms you will be offered that option.
williamp751
3/18/19

Do not do business with this company. Newspaperarchive.com has a poor product so they offer a 30 day money back guarantee to get you to subscribe for a longer subscription then ignore your attempts to claim the subscription. They have been fined $100.000 by the Iowa Attorney Generals over deceptive online practices. I paid the subscription with PayPal thinking if I had a problem it would be easy to correct with PayPal help. Wrong!! They seem to not care they are dealing with a dishonest company.

eriks126
2/19/19

All I wanted was to get a copy of my grandfather's obituary and they want to charge for it. I found it on Google. They have several copies of it since it ran in all the local nearby papers and they insist I have to join to view their content. Why?

Tip for consumers: They have a ton of stuff but you will have to subscribe to read it.

davidd896
2/18/19

I saw site that said that this was similar to another site. It's not. This company is horrible. The site doesn't work very well and there is no customer service. Instead there is a Chatrobot that refers you to the same video no matter what your question. It then asks you to give it a thumbs up. Right after I signed up, I was told that I was cancelled. I then wanted to be canceled, but was told that I had to pay for a month. Absolute garbage. They should be shut down.

le90
2/12/19
• Updated review

Newspaperarchive.com agreed to remove their URL found in Google results of my old name searched as one word. It reappeared after being removed twice. Support stated in their email, we are not going to remove it. I complained, and they stated, newspapers have a First Amendment right to freedom of speech, and banned my email. They stated this to the Iowa BBB who closed my complaint as beyond their scope (legal issue), but in a later complaint by someone else, allowed that statement to be stated, and it was not discussed. I know the URL was found in Google results because OCR text was used to duplicate the newspaper page, and only some of it gets duplicated accurately. Later, the URL appeared below a normal search and hyphenated search of my old name and on bing. European countries have the right to be forgotten in the US. Newspaperarchive.com/takedown allows EU residents to remove their name. I had an unique name: it was like two female names and no one else has ever had it except as a typo in two newspapers. I legally changed it a few years ago. Google is taking advantage of that. Although it cannot be found on any other websites, they listed it as oneword as a related search at the bottom of the image that accompanies the URL. There were many athletes on that page, and when their names were searched, you did not get the URL or image in results. If a Russian athlete with a strange name was searched, the URL and image was below his name with other newspapers, but nothing else. If the image is clicked, my name is a related search, and the image must be clicked again to go to the website. This does not sound like freedom of speech, and I do not want to be discriminated against. Because I went to a North American high school in 1975 well before the internet was developed, I could not foresee this, or I would not have let them list my name at the field event; an old tactic to sell newspapers. Several websites make up false information about my name, and it ends up in the search, because they want to make fun of others with the same unusual first name, and one of them is a government official.

Tip for consumers: Used First Amendment as immunity and then banned my email.

“Ruining My Life”
11/28/18
• Previous review

Newspaperarchive.com banned my email after I requested removal of their URL and image of a newspaper page. I do not want them to use my old name and high school name to advertise their website below my old name in Google and Bing searches. I was not in the article I was on a list below the article as no times listed County Finishers.

flowerm1
11/20/18

Requested the website to remove my old name listed in an article which appears in google search. I made payment and requested for a removal of the listing. It went past by 30 days and no resolution yet. I attempted to contact customer service sending over 10 e-mails and still no response. Attempted to contact director and phone describe in BBB does not work. This company doesn't have any customer service or phone contact info. The emails gets generated by an automatic online assistant, which it goes to nowhere. This website is a completely a scam and not sure why BBB hasn't taken down the website with so many complains.

gaill84
11/4/18

I paid for a month yesterday and within hours site told me my account had "expired" and I needed to "upgrade" to utilize. Emailed them immediately. Waiting for a response.Interesting that so many complain of not getting responses to complaints, yet repeatedly on this site "Christian" states complaints can be addressed via email. I don't believe these people/clients are lying, and I saw they have an "F" grade by BBB, as well as had been heavily fined. When I click on my account name, all that comes up is the word "upgrade", so how can I cancel?

(Billing begins:
11/3/2018

Billing amount
$19.95 USD)

I'm waiting, Christian.

lk103
11/4/18

I signed up for a monthly subscription and was not able to use the site at all. It would "grey out" and I was unable to use anything. There was no "Live Chat" feature for me to use. It was NOT in the bottom left corner as they stated. I sent TWO emails to their customer service address a few days apart. They have not responded AT ALL. I have tried the site multiple times thinking it would finally work. It did not. Do not waste your money on a site that has no way of contacting them other than an email system that they obviously ignore or are so inundated with complaints that they are unable to answer. I will be filing a complaint against them with the Iowa Attorney General office. Stay away from them!

davem487
10/30/18

They have been fined by the state of Iowa for deceptive practices. I made the mistake of trusting them. Stay away!

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Dave,

Our site is trusted by more than 2 million people a month. We carefully honor our Terms and Conditions with all customers at all times. If you have a specific issue please let us know at customerservice@newspaperarchive.com.

cathrync6
10/24/18

I hate finding I can only access records if I sign up for an auto-renewing subscription and then find I can access my account to cancel. The quality of the newspaper images is very poor - the one record which I found that was relevant to my research was illegible. Don't waste your money - there are better sites available. Tried to cancel my sub today only to find I can't even access the website! I was looking for Australian records and then discovered Trove - which is free and better

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Cathryn,
Yes, Trove is a wonderful site for old Australian content. NewspaperArchive.com has content from 29 countries including all 50 states in America. We add 5 million pages a month to the archive and have more than 10,000 titles online - we also have more than 100 million obituaries online from many sources that are updated monthly. The quality of our images does vary as they come from many different library partners but the highest quality image is available only by clicking the diskette icon and selecting Download as PDF, so perhaps you didn't try that.

If you would like help to cancel your subscription just send us an email and we will do it for you: customerservice@newspaperarchive.com.

NewspaperArchive.com Customer Service
carola250
10/15/18

This site is a total rip-off. The search engine is completely useless as it returns hundreds of "hits" that have nothing to do with the word searched. By scrolling forever through one search I found an article to view...except it was so blurry it could not be read. The site says you can download a PDF for a clear view, which I did, only to find out that when you do that you have given up any right for a refund.Avoid this site at all costs.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Carol,
Using our search tools you can search "any of these words" or you can do an "exact phrase" search. Both have their uses. I'd suggest you try your search again using Advanced Search and Exact Phrase. If you get too many results limit your search by place and time.

lilliea11
9/15/18

Absolutely useless website with a useless search engine. Would give 0 stars if possible. I guess if you're looking for your grand-uncle's obituary maybe that's the place to go, but if you're trying to find articles on a specific subject in a specific area don't waste your time. I cancelled within 3 hours of signing up, so hopefully I will receive a full refund.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Lillie,
Yes, our site requires a high level of aptitude. If you don't have that we wholeheartedly suggest you don't try to search through our 2.4 billion articles in 1/3 billion documents covering 411 years of history from 30 countries; it will boggle your mind.

Christian
cheryll176
8/2/18

My experience was not good. I ordered a page of a newspaper. I thought I was ordering the entire issue of the newspaper and when I realized that it was just one page, I immediately sent them a message to cancel my order. I was then going to order just the page I needed rather than the front page (which wasn't the page I wanted). I received a message back that my order had been cancelled. I thought that was very good and fast service. However, it was a lie. I actually received the order in the mail of the front page of the newspaper (which was not the page I wanted). I wrote them immediately to tell them of their mistake and they said there was nothing they could do and they would not refund my money OR give me a chance to order the correct page. When I asked to talk to a supervisor, the same person wrote me and said he was the supervisor and there was nothing they could or would do once the order had been shipped. I cancelled it before it was printed or shipped and have the message that it was cancelled but they still would not refund my money. I would stay far away from this website and instead go to the local library to get a photocopy of an old newspaper. I'm very disappointed.

williamb565
5/13/18

The advertisement promises a 30-day full refund. I gave them $49.95 yesterday afternoon for a subscription. This morning at 6:30 a.m. I attempted to sign on and their system rejected my login information. I started an online chat with their customer service (they don't publish a telephone number), and the guy was rude, saying their site was currently "undergoing maintenance" and could not estimate when that maintenance would be completed. He suggested I try to login again in a couple of days. I reminded him I had given him $49.95 only hours earlier, and said I wanted to talk about getting that 30-day refund the website had promised. He said he would cancel my subscription, but he could not refund the money because I had "exceeded the number of downloads allowed" for a refund. (I think I looked at only 3 newspaper articles yesterday.) Then this guy closed the chat box, and has refused to talk to me further. These guys are real losers--don't lose your money like I did!!!

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
William,
Our Terms clearly state that if you download 2 or more full quality images that you give up your right to seek a refund and that is what happened in your case. Based upon feedback from customers like you who didn't read our Terms we have since implemented an "I know I am giving up my right to seek a refund." notice when a new member tries to download their second full quality image that must be clicked to continue. Since then I'm happy to say no one is unpleasantly surprised even if they don't read the Terms.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Chris
janeb221
5/12/18

Because the advertisement promised a 30 day full refund if not satisfied, I decided to give it a try. In order to see what is available, you must pay for six months which they say is fully refundable for 30 days. I will admit that I didn't read the small print on a different page but I did read the small print on the sign up page and there was nothing that said once you actually use the site, you no longer get a refund. The data available is not from major newspapers, so the product is not good. The customer service just kept giving me a broken record response, though I know they could have returned my money as promised in their advertisements. Newspapers.com gives a very good product and is a much better company. I hope people read the reviews here and don't fall for this bait and switch.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Jane,

We have almost 10,000 newspaper titles on our site. If you only want major titles then I do agree Newspapers.com is a better site for you.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Chris
teresaf44
2/17/18

1. Newspaperarchive continues to bill my credit card even though we have spoken and agreed they would cancel.
2. The "chat" only returns a "too sad, system is down
Too bad there is not a minus-five rating for service.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Teresa,

We don't have telephone support so we've not spoken. If you have a copy of correspondence that indicates you did cancel your account before you were billed or within 7 days after you were billed please provide it and we will happily refund your money.

tomj161
2/13/18

Well, I did a google search for a relative, and the name popped up as an obituary. I decided to register for a 7 day trial, I got billed for 6 months, but it was a gift card, so,no great loss.
It turns out that the "result" that they gave was not in their database, it was a generic snippet, probably from the SSDI.
I did 10 searches in a few minutes, nothing I looked for was available.
Cancelled.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Tom,

We don't have a 7 day trial. If you did register and then cancel within a few minutes as you say then you are eligible for a full refund - you are eligible for a full refund for up to 30 days if you don't save 2 or more pages of premium content. Please let us know if you didn't receive your refund.

Yes, we do have SSDI death notices in our archives which are clearly labelled as "from the United States Social Security Death Index". These are very helpful for many visitors and the bottom of each page contains a link to every article we have about that person during their life.

jayc185
10/19/17

I must say that I had a good experience. I notice that the other reviews didn't bother to read the Terms and conditions as we all should when getting a contract. The agent was efficient and answered all the questions. Stop acting like children and read the fine print!

bh486
10/1/17

I kept getting the "chat with me" box showing up as I was researching - very annoying. So I decided to ask if there was a way to shut if off - I typed my question and hit "enter" - the question did not show up so I retyped it thinking it did not go through. The customer service agent then said:

Juan: "The whole reason you are asked question is so we may read it there is no read (spelled that way) to retype. The window keeps coming up because you don't have a subscription"
Me: That was kind of rude, I did not see my question again and thought it didn't go through. And yes, I do have a subscription - I am logged in right now.
Juan: There is nothing rude about providing you information so that you don't loose your time retyping all you need to do is click "x". You may translate it as you wish however, is simple information. Have a great day Barbara.
Then he quit the session. By the way - hitthing the X only closes it for a few minutes - it pops back up again in a short time. So when "Juan" shut me off there was a "rate me" thumbs up or down option. I chose down. Didn't really get my question answered and was shut down before I could clarify.

About 3mn later I get the following email from "Juan"

"To provide information to you the user is not to be rude.
Your question was answered but didnt take the time to read it since you were too busy translating the text which is plain and has no feeling or emphasis.
Please note that besides taking multiple chats we answer emails, process cancellations, renewals, etc.
Every chat that is rated as bad takes 5 % of our customer service percentage to make that up we need three good ratings with a comment.
That is a rarity since most users get assistance and just close the chat.
All bad rated chats are reviewed by the supervisor if rating seems unfair he will place a ban on the user for the amount of time at his discretion.
Thank you.
Juan Hensley.
Customer Service
customerservice@newspaperarchive.com
juan.hensley@newspaperarchive.com
Newspaperarchive.com
4023 Kennett Pike #50005
Bloomington, Delaware 19807"

If this is how this company operates - then I want my money back.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Barbara,

Based upon feedback from members like you clicking the X on the chat box now permanently disables the chat window - you will never see it again.

Thanks for using NewspaperArchive.com. Christian

Shadow, Please use https://newspaperarchive.com/ You will find 1/3 billion historical records at a responsive company that fully honors its Terms for all customers. Best wishes Chris Customer Service NewspaperArchive.com

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative

Margaret, Our subscription is $19.95 monthly or $74.95 semi-annual. There is no other price or additional price (except to order a reprint shipped to you if you choose). You are able to download full quality PDF's or PNG's of all our content once you subscribe. Thanks, Customer Service NewspaperArchive.com

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative

Jenny, You may have chosen to turn Chat off and Agreed with the statement: "Yes. Turn Chat off permanently." To turn chat on, login, choose Account, choose Account Settings - turn LiveChat on. Our site is working perfectly - serving 110,000 visitors a day. NewspaperArchive®

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative

Jenny, There is a Contact Us link on the bottom of every page on the site. NewspaperArchive®

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative

Marjorie, We support customers in about 50 countries and Turks and Caicos is not one of them. Customer Service

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Questions? Get answers from the NewspaperArchive staff and other customers.

1 Photo for NewspaperArchive