NewspaperArchive reviews

Tel: 1607-2016108
customerservice@newspaperarchive.com

le90
2/12/19
• Updated review

Newspaperarchive.com agreed to remove their URL found in Google results of my old name searched as one word. It reappeared after being removed twice. Support stated in their email, we are not going to remove it. I complained, and they stated, newspapers have a First Amendment right to freedom of speech, and banned my email. They stated this to the Iowa BBB who closed my complaint as beyond their scope (legal issue), but in a later complaint by someone else, allowed that statement to be stated, and it was not discussed. I know the URL was found in Google results because OCR text was used to duplicate the newspaper page, and only some of it gets duplicated accurately. Later, the URL appeared below a normal search and hyphenated search of my old name and on bing. European countries have the right to be forgotten in the US. Newspaperarchive.com/takedown allows EU residents to remove their name. I had an unique name: it was like two female names and no one else has ever had it except as a typo in two newspapers. I legally changed it a few years ago. Google is taking advantage of that. Although it cannot be found on any other websites, they listed it as oneword as a related search at the bottom of the image that accompanies the URL. There were many athletes on that page, and when their names were searched, you did not get the URL or image in results. If a Russian athlete with a strange name was searched, the URL and image was below his name with other newspapers, but nothing else. If the image is clicked, my name is a related search, and the image must be clicked again to go to the website. This does not sound like freedom of speech, and I do not want to be discriminated against. Because I went to a North American high school in 1975 well before the internet was developed, I could not foresee this, or I would not have let them list my name at the field event; an old tactic to sell newspapers. Several websites make up false information about my name, and it ends up in the search, because they want to make fun of others with the same unusual first name, and one of them is a government official.

Tip for consumers: Used First Amendment as immunity and then banned my email.

“Ruining My Life”
11/28/18
• Previous review

Newspaperarchive.com banned my email after I requested removal of their URL and image of a newspaper page. I do not want them to use my old name and high school name to advertise their website below my old name in Google and Bing searches. I was not in the article I was on a list below the article as no times listed County Finishers.

flowerm1
11/20/18

Requested the website to remove my old name listed in an article which appears in google search. I made payment and requested for a removal of the listing. It went past by 30 days and no resolution yet. I attempted to contact customer service sending over 10 e-mails and still no response. Attempted to contact director and phone describe in BBB does not work. This company doesn't have any customer service or phone contact info. The emails gets generated by an automatic online assistant, which it goes to nowhere. This website is a completely a scam and not sure why BBB hasn't taken down the website with so many complains.

gaill84
11/4/18

I paid for a month yesterday and within hours site told me my account had "expired" and I needed to "upgrade" to utilize. Emailed them immediately. Waiting for a response.Interesting that so many complain of not getting responses to complaints, yet repeatedly on this site "Christian" states complaints can be addressed via email. I don't believe these people/clients are lying, and I saw they have an "F" grade by BBB, as well as had been heavily fined. When I click on my account name, all that comes up is the word "upgrade", so how can I cancel?

(Billing begins:
11/3/2018

Billing amount
$19.95 USD)

I'm waiting, Christian.

lk103
11/4/18

I signed up for a monthly subscription and was not able to use the site at all. It would "grey out" and I was unable to use anything. There was no "Live Chat" feature for me to use. It was NOT in the bottom left corner as they stated. I sent TWO emails to their customer service address a few days apart. They have not responded AT ALL. I have tried the site multiple times thinking it would finally work. It did not. Do not waste your money on a site that has no way of contacting them other than an email system that they obviously ignore or are so inundated with complaints that they are unable to answer. I will be filing a complaint against them with the Iowa Attorney General office. Stay away from them!

davem487
10/30/18

They have been fined by the state of Iowa for deceptive practices. I made the mistake of trusting them. Stay away!

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Dave,

Our site is trusted by more than 2 million people a month. We carefully honor our Terms and Conditions with all customers at all times. If you have a specific issue please let us know at customerservice@newspaperarchive.com.

cathrync6
10/24/18

I hate finding I can only access records if I sign up for an auto-renewing subscription and then find I can access my account to cancel. The quality of the newspaper images is very poor - the one record which I found that was relevant to my research was illegible. Don't waste your money - there are better sites available. Tried to cancel my sub today only to find I can't even access the website! I was looking for Australian records and then discovered Trove - which is free and better

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Cathryn,
Yes, Trove is a wonderful site for old Australian content. NewspaperArchive.com has content from 29 countries including all 50 states in America. We add 5 million pages a month to the archive and have more than 10,000 titles online - we also have more than 100 million obituaries online from many sources that are updated monthly. The quality of our images does vary as they come from many different library partners but the highest quality image is available only by clicking the diskette icon and selecting Download as PDF, so perhaps you didn't try that.

If you would like help to cancel your subscription just send us an email and we will do it for you: customerservice@newspaperarchive.com.

NewspaperArchive.com Customer Service
carola250
10/15/18

This site is a total rip-off. The search engine is completely useless as it returns hundreds of "hits" that have nothing to do with the word searched. By scrolling forever through one search I found an article to view...except it was so blurry it could not be read. The site says you can download a PDF for a clear view, which I did, only to find out that when you do that you have given up any right for a refund.Avoid this site at all costs.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Carol,
Using our search tools you can search "any of these words" or you can do an "exact phrase" search. Both have their uses. I'd suggest you try your search again using Advanced Search and Exact Phrase. If you get too many results limit your search by place and time.

lilliea11
9/15/18

Absolutely useless website with a useless search engine. Would give 0 stars if possible. I guess if you're looking for your grand-uncle's obituary maybe that's the place to go, but if you're trying to find articles on a specific subject in a specific area don't waste your time. I cancelled within 3 hours of signing up, so hopefully I will receive a full refund.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Lillie,
Yes, our site requires a high level of aptitude. If you don't have that we wholeheartedly suggest you don't try to search through our 2.4 billion articles in 1/3 billion documents covering 411 years of history from 30 countries; it will boggle your mind.

Christian
cheryll176
8/2/18

My experience was not good. I ordered a page of a newspaper. I thought I was ordering the entire issue of the newspaper and when I realized that it was just one page, I immediately sent them a message to cancel my order. I was then going to order just the page I needed rather than the front page (which wasn't the page I wanted). I received a message back that my order had been cancelled. I thought that was very good and fast service. However, it was a lie. I actually received the order in the mail of the front page of the newspaper (which was not the page I wanted). I wrote them immediately to tell them of their mistake and they said there was nothing they could do and they would not refund my money OR give me a chance to order the correct page. When I asked to talk to a supervisor, the same person wrote me and said he was the supervisor and there was nothing they could or would do once the order had been shipped. I cancelled it before it was printed or shipped and have the message that it was cancelled but they still would not refund my money. I would stay far away from this website and instead go to the local library to get a photocopy of an old newspaper. I'm very disappointed.

williamb565
5/13/18

The advertisement promises a 30-day full refund. I gave them $49.95 yesterday afternoon for a subscription. This morning at 6:30 a.m. I attempted to sign on and their system rejected my login information. I started an online chat with their customer service (they don't publish a telephone number), and the guy was rude, saying their site was currently "undergoing maintenance" and could not estimate when that maintenance would be completed. He suggested I try to login again in a couple of days. I reminded him I had given him $49.95 only hours earlier, and said I wanted to talk about getting that 30-day refund the website had promised. He said he would cancel my subscription, but he could not refund the money because I had "exceeded the number of downloads allowed" for a refund. (I think I looked at only 3 newspaper articles yesterday.) Then this guy closed the chat box, and has refused to talk to me further. These guys are real losers--don't lose your money like I did!!!

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
William,
Our Terms clearly state that if you download 2 or more full quality images that you give up your right to seek a refund and that is what happened in your case. Based upon feedback from customers like you who didn't read our Terms we have since implemented an "I know I am giving up my right to seek a refund." notice when a new member tries to download their second full quality image that must be clicked to continue. Since then I'm happy to say no one is unpleasantly surprised even if they don't read the Terms.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Chris
janeb221
5/12/18

Because the advertisement promised a 30 day full refund if not satisfied, I decided to give it a try. In order to see what is available, you must pay for six months which they say is fully refundable for 30 days. I will admit that I didn't read the small print on a different page but I did read the small print on the sign up page and there was nothing that said once you actually use the site, you no longer get a refund. The data available is not from major newspapers, so the product is not good. The customer service just kept giving me a broken record response, though I know they could have returned my money as promised in their advertisements. Newspapers.com gives a very good product and is a much better company. I hope people read the reviews here and don't fall for this bait and switch.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Jane,

We have almost 10,000 newspaper titles on our site. If you only want major titles then I do agree Newspapers.com is a better site for you.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Chris
teresaf44
2/17/18

1. Newspaperarchive continues to bill my credit card even though we have spoken and agreed they would cancel.
2. The "chat" only returns a "too sad, system is down
Too bad there is not a minus-five rating for service.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Teresa,

We don't have telephone support so we've not spoken. If you have a copy of correspondence that indicates you did cancel your account before you were billed or within 7 days after you were billed please provide it and we will happily refund your money.

tomj161
2/13/18

Well, I did a google search for a relative, and the name popped up as an obituary. I decided to register for a 7 day trial, I got billed for 6 months, but it was a gift card, so,no great loss.
It turns out that the "result" that they gave was not in their database, it was a generic snippet, probably from the SSDI.
I did 10 searches in a few minutes, nothing I looked for was available.
Cancelled.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Tom,

We don't have a 7 day trial. If you did register and then cancel within a few minutes as you say then you are eligible for a full refund - you are eligible for a full refund for up to 30 days if you don't save 2 or more pages of premium content. Please let us know if you didn't receive your refund.

Yes, we do have SSDI death notices in our archives which are clearly labelled as "from the United States Social Security Death Index". These are very helpful for many visitors and the bottom of each page contains a link to every article we have about that person during their life.

jayc185
10/19/17

I must say that I had a good experience. I notice that the other reviews didn't bother to read the Terms and conditions as we all should when getting a contract. The agent was efficient and answered all the questions. Stop acting like children and read the fine print!

bh486
10/1/17

I kept getting the "chat with me" box showing up as I was researching - very annoying. So I decided to ask if there was a way to shut if off - I typed my question and hit "enter" - the question did not show up so I retyped it thinking it did not go through. The customer service agent then said:

Juan: "The whole reason you are asked question is so we may read it there is no read (spelled that way) to retype. The window keeps coming up because you don't have a subscription"
Me: That was kind of rude, I did not see my question again and thought it didn't go through. And yes, I do have a subscription - I am logged in right now.
Juan: There is nothing rude about providing you information so that you don't loose your time retyping all you need to do is click "x". You may translate it as you wish however, is simple information. Have a great day Barbara.
Then he quit the session. By the way - hitthing the X only closes it for a few minutes - it pops back up again in a short time. So when "Juan" shut me off there was a "rate me" thumbs up or down option. I chose down. Didn't really get my question answered and was shut down before I could clarify.

About 3mn later I get the following email from "Juan"

"To provide information to you the user is not to be rude.
Your question was answered but didnt take the time to read it since you were too busy translating the text which is plain and has no feeling or emphasis.
Please note that besides taking multiple chats we answer emails, process cancellations, renewals, etc.
Every chat that is rated as bad takes 5 % of our customer service percentage to make that up we need three good ratings with a comment.
That is a rarity since most users get assistance and just close the chat.
All bad rated chats are reviewed by the supervisor if rating seems unfair he will place a ban on the user for the amount of time at his discretion.
Thank you.
Juan Hensley.
Customer Service
customerservice@newspaperarchive.com
juan.hensley@newspaperarchive.com
Newspaperarchive.com
4023 Kennett Pike #50005
Bloomington, Delaware 19807"

If this is how this company operates - then I want my money back.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Barbara,

Based upon feedback from members like you clicking the X on the chat box now permanently disables the chat window - you will never see it again.

Thanks for using NewspaperArchive.com. Christian
shirleyh108
9/27/17

Christopher James sucks, he forgets he is suppose to be representing his company. Can't get ahold of anyone, they hid behind the web.
I would like to know how they can have such a high rating when nothing about this company is worth 100 a year

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Shirley,

I'm sorry for your experience. Yes, our company has an outstanding rating overall. We do what we say we will do. We offer 1/3 billion pages of historical newspapers and obituaries and add several million more each month. We work very hard to honor our Terms and Conditions with the nearly 3 million visitors to our site each month.

mj238
8/17/17

Could not find pricing on website so I emailed and asked and said could not find anywhere on price. The rude rep writes back....".You mention in your email that NOWHERE in the site the prices for the subscriptions are placed/visible.
I beg to differ:" Wow! Never will deal with these people.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
MJ,

The price is shown in very large font right across the top of the subscription page. Our subscription is $49.95 for 6 months of full access. Here is how it appears:
Begin your 6 month premium, unlimited membership for $49.95 USD.

I know it can be hard to take in everything, but we do our very best to inform people before they begin a subscription.

beem27
8/2/17

Signed up for trial. Poor search engine. Pick lists don't work. "Chatted" with customer service rep. Generic answers, no depth. I wish I would have read the reviews first. Live and learn.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Bee,
Our search engine is the same as used by most companies in the world. If the pick lists didn't work for you it was because your session over the internet to our servers was interrupted (by your local service provider). Just hit refresh.

All new members have 30 days to seek a full refund in case they aren't satisfied.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Christian
pauls450
7/17/17

Has to be the worst search engine I have ever used, if it gives you 100 results for 'must contain' half will only contain one of your key words and of the other 50 expect 1/3 will be duplicates of the same article.

Response from Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Paul,
At the time you used our site it wasn't the search engine that was wrong. All your results did contain exactly what you wanted. However, our search snippets were not showing the correct hit. That has been corrected.

Yes, our site does have what appears to be duplicate content for some titles but this is at the request of the newspaper publisher. They print many different editions and want all their editions archived, but some pages are identical. We present them all since they are in fact different newspapers and some of the content on the page may be different.

Thanks for trying NewspaperArchive.com. Christian
pb68
5/3/17

I think it's pretty clear -- based on the reviews here -- that newspaperarchive.com leaves much to be desired (to say the very least!) re. its billing practices. But they're also very disappointing in terms of customer support, or lack thereof. And, they don't have a great rep with the Iowa Attorney General's Office.

First things first: I'd been a subscriber longer than I care to admit (kind of embarrassing, in retrospect), when I began having problems clipping and downloading some articles, and tried to get assistance. Where I'd once been able to put in a quick phone call to resolve something, I discovered they had discontinued phone support; customers must now rely on online support. Well and good, except, it didn't go well and good for me. I admit it: I am not a techie. I needed someone to talk me thru something. They didn't. Two different support people sent me basically the same response -- which I could not comprehend. Again, I'm no techie.

But, I know when someone is blowing me off. One of the support people at first sent me a response that didn't relate to my question ... doubtless because they were having to deal with multiple "calls." You see, with the "live" online support, you type them a Q and they eventually type back an A, though you can find yourself waiting for a lengthy period of time before you hear back. I let the one support person (a gal) know that she'd sent me the wrong response. Whoops! She quickly sent me another.

But, they never did resolve my issue. I later figured out how to do what I wanted to do, on my own.

In the aftermath, I fired off a complaint to the company, letting them know I'd had to deal with "two idiots" (my words, I admit ... ) who weren't able to help me. And lamenting the lack of customer phone support. Ha!!!! Turned out that one of the support people who failed to help me figure things out was the company co-founder, who sent me the following:

Pat, I am one of the total idiots you worked with via chat. I founded the company 20 years ago and understand every line of code, every button, and every one of the 400 million records we have online perfectly. It is you who could use an IQ boost. Your money was refunded April 19th. You have now been blocked from further communications with our company. Chris

Based on some clips I found, I suspect that "Chris" is Christopher Gill, who reportedly started the archive in 1999. Now, on a personal level, I think Chris should have been nicer to an admittedly tech-challenged customer (with a longtime subscription!) who wrote a wacky complaint following a frenzied night of trying to clip and download. On a professional level, as someone whose work requires considerable research (as an author-journalist-sometimes TV producer), I have other concerns: I worry about valued newspaper records being in the hands of this company.

In December 2015, the company was ordered to pay $100,000 as part of a settlement, involving deceptive online practices. This after an investigation by the Iowa Attorney General's Office. Some subscribers were able to get refunds. But that was then. Based on current complaints, is another investigation in order? I am contacting the Attorney General's Office for an update and will file more, when I get a response. In the meantime, I'm going to be contacting the various libraries that utilize the archive, to voice my concerns over the way they treat their customers. (You can do this, too.)

--Pat B in California

margarety12
4/10/17

Do NOT sign up for their 'free' trial. Their seven day count is only 6 days. They do not tell you it is a twice yearly charge. When they informed me my 'free' trial was about to expire, I emailed them telling them I wished to cancel. Imagine my shock to see the charge on my card. They also do not tell you how much they are going to charge!!! Way too expensive for the poor quality of information. I am trying to get my $ back, but not holding my breath!!!

kimp111
3/16/17

While searching yesterday, 3 issues occured: 1) newspaper article would load, but highlighter tool said it could not find my search term. 2) When I finally found what I was looking for, clipping tool would not work to clip the article. 3) Eventually, newspaper articles would not load.

The following is the reply from Christopher James, customer service, "You are so frustrated by our site, why not just quit? Click on your name while logged in and select "Cancel".

Chris

dans194
2/2/17

Signed on for a trial. Have been billed since 2015, twice a year. Very little data, poor search engine, NO CUSTOMER response. Did not catch the twice yearly billing, ok shame on me, did not catch it until this year. Hidden in all the other card bills. Hard time cancelling, non-responsive phone number, questionable e-mail response....
These people sit back and rely on consumer mistakes and billing oversight / lack of close scrutiny to make a good living...

peterm84
1/17/14

They charged a nominal fee to join for 3 days. The site was OK but then I decided to cancel. In order to cancel, you have to call an 888 number. Although I beat the deadline, they billed me for another month. Of course, if I were to complain, they would probably put me on hold for half an hour with their 888 phone number.

bobg8
4/7/13

What a JOKE of a website! They sucker you into thinking your signing up for free viewing of old news articles and after you complete the initial form it send you to a page that wants credit card info but if you decline to pay their unrealistic fees and try to delete your email and other info it holds you hostage and won't release the page!
Thank god my email is set to "exclusive" and I'm sure these jerks will fill my "JUNK" folder.

Margaret, Our subscription is $19.95 monthly or $74.95 semi-annual. There is no other price or additional price (except to order a reprint shipped to you if you choose). You are able to download full quality PDF's or PNG's of all our content once you subscribe. Thanks, Customer Service NewspaperArchive.com

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative

Shadow, Please use https://newspaperarchive.com/ You will find 1/3 billion historical records at a responsive company that fully honors its Terms for all customers. Best wishes Chris Customer Service NewspaperArchive.com

By Christian O., NewspaperArchive Representative
Questions? Get answers from the NewspaperArchive staff and other customers.

1 Photo for NewspaperArchive