Norwegian Cruise Line reviews

Tel: 1.866.234.7350
accessdesk@ncl.com

williamc791
4/10/19

We have cruised on several cruise lines including Viking, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Holland America and have never written a complaint. We have not even left on our cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines to Alaska and we have had a horrible experience and we are stuck with what they choose to give us.

We booked a special "Sail Away" mini-suite which was supposed to be larger with a larger balcony. Our confirmation designates the category we paid for. We were not allowed to pick our room which was o.k. as long as we got our category. When we received our room assignment we received a mini-suite that was in a different category which has a much smaller room and balcony. When we called our representative, he called back and left a message claiming we had gotten a better room because of its location. When we called back his personal number, we again left a message that this was not o.k. and to please call us back to talk. He didn't call, we called again. Finally after a week we called and asked for the manager. We were given a supervisor who told us many times that on the "website" it says you can get a different room. We DID NOT book through the website but by phone with a representative and we were not told that. She wouldn't do anything about giving us the category we paid for so we asked to talk to a manager. She said she would have one call us in the next day or so. We received a call from another "supervisor" that afternoon and all they did was give us a man who was more firm (actually was raising his voice while talking) and would not budge on helping us. Therefore, we have not received a suite in the category we paid for but instead received a much smaller suite.

We are stuck going on this trip as we have paid in full but we will never book a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines again, no matter how wonderful the cruise is.

devm4
8/10/18

After travelling all the way from Australia, I was denied entry on the boat as they claimed did not have a valid visa.
This is despite having a letter from the Canadian embassy to say I have been cleared and having travelled all the way from Australia to Seattle with no problems.
I was not the only one who was turned away and there was even a whole family from Brazil who were sent home.
We discussed our situation and we found that we were all told by staff of the Norwegian Guest relations we would have no problems if we did not get off the ship in Canada,.
I had to spend a week on my own expense in US waiting for my family to return.
The guest relations department were no help all told me to read the fine print on my booking form.
I would never travel on this cruise liner ever again-they are criminals and I would be happy to start a class action suit against them if other have found themselves in the same position

lorrainen12
6/3/18

Just came back from the KeyWest/Cuba cruise on the Norwegian Sun. This was mt fourth cruise with NCL. The food was disgusting, the ship was dirty and a lot of the crew was not friendly. They had open bar, but if you wanted top shelf liquor you had to pay 4.99 a drink extra. The drinks were horrible. Not one bartender (other than the Atrium Bar) knew how to make a Mojito correctly. They had drinks already in batches to pour in your glass. What happened to muddling the limes? Getting back to the food, it was absolutely terrible. I lost 2 pounds in 4 days! first time I was so hungry on a cruise ship. There were flies all over the food, I couldn't eat it. I complained to the Matri' D, and he compped me a dinner at the Moderno Restaurant. There were flies there also. He even saw them when he came there to check on us. Upstairs at the buffet, there wasn't much fruit to choose from and what was there was tasteless. Usually there's plenty and very tasty. If you're not picky then it won't matter to you. The dining rooms had the same menu. It all looked like the food they served upstairs in the buffet (cafeteria I call it) Who wants to eat hamburgers, hot dogs or Indian food on vacation? We are not big drinkers, so I feel that the price of this cruise was far more than worth it. If the food was good, I wouldn't care about the alcohol, Also, there wasn't any broadway shows. There actually was't much for entertainment at all. At this point I will probably never travel NCL ever again. I'll stick with Royal Caribbean, where you ALWAYS have excellent food and service.

kevink86
10/21/17

My letter to Norwegian...

Sirs
I would like to bring your attention to our experience on your ship, the Norwegian Jewel, from July 22 to July 29, 2017.
My family of five met up with our best friends (also a family of five) to embark on your ship to Alaska. We were celebrating our oldest kids high school graduation.
This was our 6th cruise, so we were extremely excited, even though it was extremely expensive!
We never spend this much money on a cruise. However, it was Alaska. So, we bit the bullet.
We have always cruised Carnival, we were told that we should try Norwegian because it was better.
It started off great! The boarding process was the best weve ever experienced.
Carnival could learn a thing or two from you.
Afterwards, we arrived in our rooms. We had 2. One inside & one with a balcony. We were very happy with both. At this point, we ventured to the café to find the buffet. We were ready for some fantastic food. Afterall, thats the best part about cruising, right?!

Wrong! This was our first point of disappointment. There seemed to be a good amount and a good variety; however, the taste and quality of the food was mediocre at best. We chalked it up to that it was a buffet, and the first one so maybe it was open for a long time and the food got cold.
For dinner that night, all 10 of us ate together at the Azura dining room. We were all excited about the impending wait staff, the dance routines, and the wonderful culinary creations. However, that soon came to a screeching halt, when the plates were served.

One meal in particular was a steak with peppercorn sauce. Honestly, it was like a Salsbury Steak at Lubys with whole peppercorns thrown in. It wasnt good. All the other meals as well, tasted as if they came from an Elementary School cafeteria - bland and plain.
In subsequent days, we kept trying other places on board. Maybe it was just that restaurant, maybe it was the everyday menu, maybe, maybe, maybehowever, meal after meal, we kept getting the same poor quality food. In fact, I believe that the same peppercorn sauce was revamped each night into something. It almost became comical. It was a brown gravy and each night something new was added within it to make it seem different. It wasnt.
Another meal coming to mind was a crusted flounder. It really tasted like kids fish sticks I kid you not! Gross!
After two days we began to see that the food wasnt getting better, but in fact somehow was getting worse. After a few days, as the wait staff & restaurant managers didnt seem to care about our food concerns, we started taking photos. Unfortunately you cant photograph bland and off putting flavors; however, the presentations started getting ridiculous, too.
We have attached the photos. To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. You will see a hamburger bun with a burnt circle (seriously, a burnt bun black!), a dry piece of meat, and gloppy processed cheese.

You will also see a taco served from a taco bar. The server shoved the meat (you will also see a big coagulated chunk of meat) into the shell and it brokeand he served it anyway.

You will see hot apple pie a la mode. The crust was not flaky, it had been microwaved, and the filling was a coagulated gel. Before we ordered we asked if it was homemade and were assured that it was. If it was, it would be better for the chef to use Mrs. Smiths frozen pies.

You will also see slices of roast beef that were mostly fat.
And the French onion soup looked like a nasty kitchen sponge was floating on top. Ugh!
We asked the main desk if the paid restaurants were any better. They assured us they were. So, we painfully spent even more money & chose the churrascuria. Let down, yet again. We were extremely disappointed in the salad bar and especially the meat! For a point of reference, we are Americans who live in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. The food is gross here as there is very limited access to good meat, fresh produce, or restaurants with flavorful food. We are from Texas, so we miss good food and were excited to cruise. However, even the churrascuria here in the desert has better meats and taste than the ships.
We are extremely frustrated. When one goes on a cruise you expect fun plating, beautiful food, lots of flavor, things cooked to your request (at least in the dining room), and maybe even the Zoes Chocolate that Norwegian has a contract with as seen on the television show, The Profit! Or crazy shapes made of fruit, ice sculptures, etc. And on an Alaskan cruise one would expect lots of salmon! No salmon! Really?! Who doesnt serve bagels & locks?! All of our expectations from former cruises were violently destroyed with the food we had on your ship.

All of the other things were great - the Port Excursions, Onboard Entertainment, Stateroom, Embarking, and Disembarking! However, since the food is the major part of cruising, our experience was dreadful. We will never be selecting Norwegian every again. We were extremely disappointed, especially after dropping nearly $15,000 that week with you. You have let us down greatly. You should be ashamed.

mildreda8
2/8/17

I took the Norweign Cruise from Aregentina i flew in from Houston Texas for my vacations i was taking the Argentina to Rio cruise. I DIDNT know i needed a visa because the travel agency told me i needed a pass port. SO when we got to the ship they say i could not board they made me wait for my luggage 6 hours when i was the 9th person in line to board the ship. There was no wi fi no phones connecting and they said when they give us our luggage we need to leave we had no phone service or internet to make a reservation anywhere . I was nervous sick blood pressure went thu the roof i have high blood pressure and pre diebetic i ask for a bottle of water from Norwegian they told me they can tell me where i can buy a bottle of water.There was 11 people stranded 2 more senior citizens along with myself we were treated like wet dogs on Norwegians porch when they came down off the boat to talk to us they talked to us like we were wet dogs trying to get on there boats not to say they had 2000 dollars of our money on that ship and air fare from Houston to Argentina another 15.000 thousand . He had a cab take us back to the airport where we spent todays at the airport and one night we got some wi fi from the airport and was able to go to holiday inn down there at 400 am in the morning. We had a 30,000 dollar vacation that we planned for a year and worked overtime all year for turn into a 4 day night mare i cruise alot and i am so dissapponted with Norwegian they nothing to help us at all i mean nothing except tall to me with attitude i have another cruise i was taking with them in October i will cancel i tell everyone be very very aware of booking a cruise with Norwegian they are not a customer service company you could die on their step and they wii step over you and leave you there if they already have your money

andil4
2/8/17

I enjoyed the fresh pineapple, dried fruits, and wide array of foreign dishes that were prepared in the buffet, but some of the drinks were pre-made so they weren't as fresh. In certain restaurants, you had to pay an additional $17, even if you pre-paid.

suzaz
3/1/16

5 time cruising with this company ... NO complain.. good prices..excellent services . Plan to go cruise again just Norwegian Cruise line :) FREE STILE !

taavetm
12/27/15

I've been on one cruise and I really enjoyed it. Would go again.

fredl35
12/27/15

They were the first to allow people to have their meals at the time and place of their choosing and not require formal wear.

The rules by cruise lines in this area were set back in the days of Transatlantic liners with First, Second, and Tourist class.Now it is all Tourist class and they were the first to stop pretending that US tourist wanted to dress like First Class on the Titanic.

pamelak7
4/22/14

We are going to take a cruise in 35 days and I find the website and customer service very helpful.

shellyb11
7/4/13

I got back from bridal party getaway, I didn't think I would like being on a cruise ship even though it seemed like they had a lot of offer. I was way off, I love it! It was so much fun! They food was great and we could eat anytime we wanted, we did as many of the shore excursions as we could. We signed up early for most but we did do a couple on a wimp and we were lucky we got to do them, since they fill up fast. My bf and I shared a room and it was plenty big for us. I'm already planning another cruise for a Thanksgiving getaway. If you have try cruising, give it a go, you might just be surprised, like I was.

joanner5
5/21/13

Norwegian Cruise Line is my favorite cruise line, and I have found that their website is often the very best place to find deals on their cruises. Don't forget to take advantage of their many discounts which include the AARP discount (code: AARP1) and my personal favorite the last minute deals http://www.ncl.com/specials-and-promotions/last-minute-deals

16 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Norwegian Cruise Line staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Norwegian Cruise Line