Review of Marley Spoon

contact@marleyspoon.com
2018 Customer choice award

ashleyw252
3/5/19

ABSOLUTLEY HORRIBLE!! If you are looking for a company that executes poor delivery, auto pay on your credit card (that never stops even after you request cancellation) and customer service filled with excuses this is the company for you! What a gimmick!!!! I responded to a radio advertisement for Martha and Marley Spoon Advertising 3 free meals on your first order. Not only were my meals never credited, but delivery was off track, perishables left outside of my home at weird hours of the day (all day), my credit card being consistently charged over and over even after I requested an immediate cancellation and battling customer service rep's through a 3rd party affiliate located in UK. STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This "service" by far the worst and is awful.

denises302
12/21/18

Through email, customer service promises a 24 hour response to an inquiry. You will most likely never hear from them again. The discount on my first order was never applied and I had to go through my credit card to appeal the charge. Bad experience.

maryw572
11/12/18

Locks you into a suscription and even after I skipped a week's delivery, I was still charged and the company refused to refund.

raeganm
11/1/18

Just don't do it!!! Run far away!

The site requires a subscription prior to you being able to see the recipes and then before you know it, you are on the hook for the first week of meal delivery - prior to seeing what they have to offer. I wasn't able to choose my recipes and was stuck with recipes that contained stuff I am allergic to. I tried cancelling in less than 5 minutes and it would not let me. I had to jump through a bunch of hoops and hurdles to get customer service to agree to cancel. Time will tell if they refund my card.

teresar121
10/22/18

I made up an account just so I could check out their recipes. Next thing I knew I received an email saying my first box was on it's way. I immediately logged in to cancel it. That wasn't an option, so I called. No one ever answered their 800 number. Just listened to classical music while on hold for 30 minutes until it finally cut me off (twice). Used the chat feature on the website and explained that I not only never ordered any food, but I don't even eat the type of meat they were sending me. This was all done on the same day they notified me via email they were sending me food. The chat agent said there was no way to cancel the order. I was just stuck with food I never ordered and food I do not eat and stuck with the bill for it as well.

kaylas100
10/9/18

I recently spent a whole month trying different meal boxes, and Marley Spoon was SO BAD that I had to do my civil duty and attempt to warn anyone who will listen.

The box itself only shipped later in the week (first problem) making it difficult for people who meal plan like myself. Additionally, the photo cards (while pretty) gave the most vague and difficult to follow instructions. In my opinion, these cards should be fool proof and assume that the home chef knows nothing. These were just poorly written all together. Now onto the food - it was not good. Back to the cards, one of the recipes didn't clarify how much garlic was needed and sent a WHOLE HEAD when really only a clove or two was needed. The waste is a problem.

Overall, don't waste your time no matter the deal they offer. If you're curious, the two boxes we enjoyed most were Hellofresh and HomeChef (our personal fav)!

jenniferk306
10/3/18

Since Marley Spoon does not have an option to leave a review on their website I am leaving reviews everywhere else that a I can. I am warning anyone who sees this to NEVER order from them! My box is 2 days late, I've emailed twice and not gotten a response and when you call you get put on hold for 10 minutes and then Martha comes in a ore-recorded message and says that no one is available and to try again later...and then the call drops. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

We have used both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh and were extremely happy with both, and I assumed being that Marley spoon was backed by Martha stewart that it would be a home run. I was sorely disappointed, not with the recipes or food since my box never arrived...but with the lack of customer service, lack of any response and with being left to feel like I was swindled out of my money. Buyer beware with this service!

joycep96
9/11/18

Subject: First order . Cancel my account! Official notification.

Received the first shipment today. Eggplant is all scuffed up and brown on top, romaine has brown edges, thigh meat chicken is swimming in gross blood and by the way I eat chicken Breast.

Most importantly. The box was delivered in front of my house where anyone could have taken it. Your shipping directions said to open gate and leave at front door. Perhaps you can use Fed Ex. They put packages at the door. Your food is super expensive. Use a more reputable delivery method.

Weight of the box. Weighed 16 pounds AFTER I removed the perishables! Felt like 25 lbs when full. Too heavy for me.

Ravioli. I was expecting a Martha Stewart brand not some brand I can purchase at Walmart!!!!! Really you can do better than this!

I wish to cancel my account. Yes even prior to tasting anything. I would never buy lettuce with brown edges, scuffed eggplant. You forgot the radishes altogether. Nothing looks all that fresh and it all needs to be cooked right away!

P.S. I tried to call your 866 228 4513 number. Martha's outgoing recorded message
told me there was no one there to take my call. If you plan to sell to PST, you should keep PST hours. It was bit after 6PM just after opening the package and it is dinner Time!

Attached is a photo of the shipping label and another one of the inside of the box with overkill on the ice packs.

laurae127
8/23/18

Missing spices, but was looking forward to the meal. The steak looked amazing...grass fed beef, dark, dark red. Wow, what a huge disappointment that was! Cooked it exactly like the recipe stated, medium rare on the inside, just how I like my steak. There was not one bite that I could actually chew and swallow. Every bite I chewed until I couldn't any more. Finally had to spit it out. No joke, every single bite.

kellyh291
8/22/18

Our first box was delivered a day late. The outside of the box was "soft" in areas and when I opened it up I saw why. The ice packs were all melted and the condensation left us with wet soggy bags of vegetables which were not cold. The meat was under the melted ice packs and it was cool, but not cold. It was a soggy disappointing mess and I won't be eating the meat products as they have not been maintained at a proper temperature. I tried calling the company and after 10 minutes on hold, I got a busy signal and then the phone just disconnected. This company has no business being in business.

toris31
8/10/18

I'm here because Marley Spoon blocked me on facebook.
here is the review they deleted.
I received a box I paid full price for on 7/25. It was completely busted, the box was leaking, the meat and ice packs mixed and all of the vegetables were covered in it. I couldn't eat any of it.
I immediately contacted customer service and I was to get a refund and a free box for my next one for the inconvenience. Well, I got charged this morning for the "free box" and I STILL DONT HAVE MY ORIGINAL REFUND. This company is shady and I am going to tell everyone who will listen that this is the case.
I talked their customer service rep "Michael" on the chat, since their phone hours weren't posted, was able to cancel my current box (instant refund, crazy) but still nothing about my other box. I will not be receiving the free box for my inconvenience at all. I have cancelled my account and this is the most rude customer service rep I've ever talked to. avoid this company and meal service!!!

graceb103
6/22/18

I have tried pretty much every Cook @ home program out there (Blue apron, Sunbasket, etc) but I havent tried Marley spoon yet so I decided to give them a try. Tried Marley spoon....worst idea ever. The vegetables were of poor shape....I mean I could have picked better veggies from the supermarket myself...obviously I was upset with the quality of food so I tried to cancel and get refund of next shipment of Marley spoon and they REFUSED to give me my money back. I tried to even reach out to their supervisor/CFO and STILL NO RESPONSE! Wow. They really proved to me that they dont give a damn about their clients so obviously I will not be purchasing from them ever again and cannot recommend them to anyone.

allanl44
6/18/18

This service is fine for people who love to cook. For us, we found it to be very stressful and time consuming. Then the food was terrible. Worse steak we have ever eaten. Then there is no way to cancel the next shipment because it is set up for delivery before you receive the first shipment. That is how they screw people over. Plus all the reviews above are staged by their people. So many that most of you will never get this far down the list. Allan

bonnieh123
5/22/18

I would not recommend it to anyone. The meals came1 day late and all ice was melted. The bags were wet and ripped. Ingredients were all over the box. Even at that the veggies were not good quality. Not impressed and disappointed. Needless to say we canceled the subscription.

springk
4/7/18

Martha Stewart like is the only way I can accurately describe the meals that are sent through Marley spoon haha. I tried them for several weeks mainly because I had coupons, and honestly that's the only time I try these food service companies. . The ingredients were very fresh and the packaging was fantastic, the directions for the meals I chose that particular amount of time or a little more on the complex side because I'm not a novice cook. But as is with anything that Martha does the instructions were clear and the presentation was fantastic.

williams732
William S.
9/18/16

All of our meals have been high quality and delicious. The recipe cards are beautiful and easy to follow. We have enjoyed every single meal we have received. I'm cooking food that I normally wouldn't make on my own. We are eating at home more now because of these ready to make dinners. The delivery service is reasonably priced, offers high-quality ingredients and quick and easy to make. I look forward to the delicious meals every week.

barbaraj55
Barbara J.
5/30/16

Of course, leave it to Martha Stuart to join in on the food delivery craze and completely dominate! The meals are delicious! It's like Martha herself planned my dinner and I love that! They are priced better than other food delivery services and the quality is top notch. I've tried many other services and this one takes the cake!

sarahs277
Sarah S.
5/19/16

Each and every box is an opportunity to try something new, fresh, and fast. I have learned how to make a schnitzel, my own healthy salad dressing, and it has been fun, too. I love the food choices, the freedom to order, and the fast recipes. I've been trying to teach myself to eat healthier. It has been nice to have food with real flavor that is not smothered in cheese, gravy, or creamy salad dressing. The little surprise gifts are great too. My girlfriend has been loving that I've actually been the one cooking lately.

davids587
David S.
5/5/16

I'm not a chef, not even close, so I'm always looking for the 'easy way out' - little time, little cost, and nothing fancy! I'm a regular meat and potatoes kind of girl, not looking for fancy dishes (although the options are there), but I just want something quick and healthy that I don't have to 'think about', it's all there! I love the options, been having great salads for the summer and especially love the fact that the instructions are so clear and concise - even I can do it, and that says a lot for a non-chef like me!

frankw80
Frank W.
3/2/16

The service is convenient and cost efficient. The food is fresh, delicious and actually easy to make. It has both simplified and enriched my day to day life. Thanks Marley Spoon!

mariau12
Maria U.
12/20/15

So glad to have Marleys Spoon. The meat, seafood and produce are great quality and the portions are really generous when compared to other popular meal services I've used. The prep time is reasonable and I like that they minimize the cookware I have to use with their one sheet pan meals. The flavors are on the simpler side which allows for the ingredients to shine through. I highly recommend Marleys Spoon!

johni236
John I.
11/17/15

Marley Spoon has amazing recipes, and fresh,organic ingredients. I originally looked at the more well-known competitors but I liked that I was allowed to have a 2 meal per week option instead of 3. The recipes come on large recipe cards with very clear instructions and photos. I have been a member for a few months now. Every meal has been excellent, I'm having fun learning some new cooking techniques and even my teenage son looks forward to the meals! All of the packaging is recyclable and each recipe fits in your fridge in one compact paper bag. I hope you give Marley Spoon a try!!

patriciay16
Patricia Y.
10/16/15

Love the convenience of my Marley Spoon meals! Recipes are inventive yet simple enough that I don't need to spend the entire day prepping. I only wish I could afford to indulge EVERY week!

18 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Marley Spoon staff and other customers.

Marley Spoon?