Review of MakerGeeks

Republic, MO 65738, US
supportdesk@makergeeks.com

jonb241
3/3/19

I've ordered a lot from MakerGeeks over the years and this last order, placed on Black Friday 2018 for 7 spools, still has not fully arrived. I received 5 out of 7 spools mid-January after multiple emails and here it is early March and I'm still missing the other 2.

Now it appears that all of their domains and emails are non-functional, even the newest one they sent out (geekhelp@makergeeks.net) when the original was shut down. All of makergeeks.com, makergeeks.net and filamentgeeks.com are down. I'm guessing I'll never see that last $44 worth of filament.

Really sad to see them melt down like this. I was excited to order from a USA manufacturer but if this is the result, well...

Tip for consumers: Don't. Just don't. You really can't anyway since their sites are down.

johnd2267
2/27/19

Their filament is great. Pla, petg, raptor, all worked with no problems in my printers. I have usually gotten my filament within 7 business days. In the era of Amazon that might be long but I buy to restock not because I'm out and waiting. And is American made.

davidc1498
1/31/19

I'm currently talking with my bank to get $155.73 written of orders refunded. They charged me but never sent anything. I've reported them with their states Attorney General and the BBB

Tip for consumers: Never order

carltons31
1/28/19

Out the gate so far, Since June 2018 I've only ever ordered grab bag rolls I've never had any problems with it. The Raptor HTPLA works great. I have had one roll where my shipping was delayed but Makergeeks corrected the issue within an hour of my email. I've never ordered bulk orders of 7+ rolls at a time like some people have and since I was ordering grab bags it really gave Makergeeks freedom to just throw whatever they had lying around in the box. I plan on ordering some more Raptor HTPLA very soon to replace what I got in grab bags, fingers crossed I don't have to change this rating from a 5.

robertj463
1/28/19

Ordered filament in September 2018 and only got half the order. They kept making excuses about why it was delayed. Each week was a different excuse. I asked for a different color filament that was in stock and they agreed to send it instead. Filament still did not arrive. In November they said Black Friday orders had pushed back delivery even more. Why are Black Friday orders being fulfilled before orders made back in Septmeber!? I asked for a refund and then never heard back from them again. I had to take matters up with the credit card company. I will never buy from this company again.

averym30
1/28/19

After having my own issues with getting stiffed on orders and never getting refunds I see the BBB has issues a warning and an F rating after 160 similar complaints. Google has also taken down the site.

Any customers who have not been issues refunds should call their banks!

ericp342
1/27/19

This started off so nice. Great products at excellent prices, okay delivery until December 2018. This is when they shipped me poor quality filament (see photo) that was filled with blobs in size that would jam printing. They promised to send a replacement which never came. Before knowing this I had placed an other order that after a month and a half has never shipped. My account was removed from there website too. I can't get through by phone. This morning their website is gone too.

I'll be okay however. I contacted my charge card company and they refunded my missing order. If MakerGeeks comes back I would HIGHLY recommend NOT DOING business with them.

erkvjrk
1/23/19

Ordered a mix of HT-PLA and PETG and PETG-CF. Took 5 weeks and many emails to get the HT-PLA and PETG. I never got the PETG-CF and although they agreed to refund me for it, I have yet to get the refund. I'll be opening a ticket with credit card company ...
If you decide to order from these folks, good luck to you!
Apparently these guys make filament for other companies (according to the info on their website). It seems like the wholesale orders have the highest priority for them. Next comes direct orders for full price, and if you order during a big sale you probably won't get it.

paulf346
1/23/19

Look at the Better Business Bureau! They have an "F" for a reason! After I complained they DELETED MY ACCOUNT!
Purchases placed in SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER. After over 20 emails telling me that it was coming they finally canceled one of my orders. Do not buy from them, it's more reliable to use the cheapest ebay sellers than this company. Save your time and money. Do not do business with them. The "Sales" are just a lure to get you to buy, please don't fall for it.

rudih4
1/22/19

Like many others I tried to take advantage of their black Friday sale which seemed to a be a great deal. Now, two months later I'm still waiting for shipment, they have failed to deliver on multiple promises and have stopped responding to my emails. Now I can't login to my account on their website and am wondering if they are out of business.

I filed a dispute with my credit card company,

porthosl
1/22/19

Since the beginning, I have use Makergeeks for my printing supplies, but not anymore. Although their product is good, their issue is with customer service and timely delivery.

Let's list their issues:

1st - Their web page is a mess, is disorganized and is never up to date.

2nd - When you order a filament it never arrives in time, you can go for months waiting for your order.

3rd - Their customer support is none existent and they take weeks to respond to your email and let not forget, no phone contact number.

4th - They are always having issues with their manufacturing machines.

5th - They hate bad reviews "Sorry but if can't handle the true!! , Well you know the rest".

Eventually they will return your money if you don't get your supplies after months of waiting. I almost lost a major client due to their problems, so I found a different supplier. Is a shame because their product is good.

Would I suggest them for 3d supplies? No right now, Makergeeks need to address their issues and fix it, may be then I would go back to them, but on the mean time I am using different supplier that has a better reputation and so far I am happier.

I say stay away from Makergeeks for know, till they address their issues.

andrews576
1/21/19

We were a bit slow to notice the problems others had been reporting with MakerGeeks, and now we're regretting it. We wanted to support a domestic small business, but they took our money and ran. We got four out of the ten spools we ordered, a promise of a refund for the rest, and then nothing. It's been two months. We've already sent email after email, with no response.

Do NOT buy from MakerGeeks.

jimmers
1/18/19
• Updated review

Their customer service emails are cut-and-paste of the week. The reason changes, but the delay is usually "7-8 business days". My June 2018 refunded in October 2018. My July 2018 order refunded in January 2019. Both times, took an extra month for the refund to actually process. The refund process was driven only by my requests. (Other things: when the latest website changed, lost my user id + rewards. An order was marked as fulfilled when it wasn't. Never received any of the promised "we're sorry" gift cards.) My last refund was only pushed through after a complaint to the BBB.

I used to be a huge fan. Only bought from them for 2+years, reliable ordering>shipping, PETG 2.85 filament was consistent, prices were great. Recommended them every time filament discussion came up. As a hobbyist 3D printer, I usually ordered 6-8 spools at a time. I hope that they get a working system back in place, but don't know what it would take to risk them again.

“Best PETG experience”
2/17/17
• Previous review

I live in the US, and was looking for new PETG filament. I had read some okay reviews about them and figured - sure, I'll try it. I am disappointed in the reviews as their PETG is awesome. I've pretty much stopped using PLA, HIPS, and other brands of PETG. The MakerGeeks prices are better, and the filament has been 100% reliable. If I would make one suggestion their prices are competitive enough, they can probably drop the free shipping.

richardm802
1/15/19

I placed my order Nov 24th and I still have not received it and it is Jan 15th. I email them and they do not reply. They suck. There is no phone number on the website.

donnah370
1/10/19

Ordered the Black Friday box....nothing. Signed up for the monthly subscription and paid for December and NOTHING. When I emailed they said they just shipped the free t-shirt yesterday. I don't care about the free t-shirt. $45 down the drain. Don't know how to cancel further orders. Wish I would have researched first, lesson learned.

nicolef142
1/6/19

This company is terrible. They will take your money but never ship out your items. You can get in contact with them. They only give you an email but never reply. I have had to dispute two different purchases with my credit card company to get my money back. This company is a joke. Don't do any business with them. I know I am done with them.

kyanooshs
12/26/18

Here how it works:
You order one sample to test their product. You get the first one. Then you order more. You never get it.
Their price is so cheap. Their are selling their filament at least 50% less than the market value, but how they can survive if they really produce them in the USA? I have already answer that question: You receive nothing, even they don't bother themselves to answer you email.
To complete their plot, they don't accept Paypal and they haven't put their phone number or address on their website! So it is real hard to get your money back!

I found an address in case you need to go to court(it may be an old address):
810 N $#*!erson Ct
Springfield, MO 65803-2305

Here is my story: they haven't sent my last 3 orders($200).

chrish853
12/18/18

I placed an order on the Black Friday weekend, Now 22, for a really god deal, and they never filled it. My emails asking when it shipped and how, since it was listed as being shipped, were today just met with "Your order was cancelled at your request." Uh, NO, guys, Their website is cryptic, no way to tell if/when it shipped or how. Granted, there was a small delay because there was a snowstorm on the East Coast in the days after I ordered, but that would only affect them if they did not have the filament in stock at all in the first place. ARGH. my whole project has ground to a halt because of them, and now I'm without. They said they refunded my money. I don't see it anywhere in my bank account. Off to Hatchbox.

albiec
12/18/18

Well same problem as the other reviews have. Ordered filaments and did the monthly box subscription. Been getting the monthly subscription. Also received my order of 2 HTPLA. But I got a 100 gift card from them with the monthly subscription. 1st off had to bug them to get the gift card added to my account. 2nd I ordered 4 more of the HTPLA filament using the gift card but am yet to receive them this was in Nov 5. I emailed them 1 response we are back ordered. Ok fine account says unfulfilled. After another week I emailed them no response but account status changed from Unfulfilled to fulfilled but no shipping info. I since been emailing them no response from them. Been sending an email every day so far no response. I am going to keep on emailing them until I get a response ( probably Wont) But I am going to do it anyway. I today canceled my monthly subscription. I will not be doing business with them ever again. Also am going to write a lengthy complaint to the BBB. !Warning do not order from this company you have been warned.

donf262
12/14/18

They don't answer emails and they won't give you tracking information on orders that you never received. They give out gift cards and don't honor them when you want to order their filament. Just a terrible company. I don't understand how they stay in business!

scotts726
12/12/18

Now that I see the same issues others are having with makergeeks, I wish I would have looked before I purchased a few hundred dollars worth of plastic and joined the monthly club (Which I will be cancelling this week) - Like many other reviews, I have multiple orders that are pending over a month and they have excuses for everything, and have promised to ship my orders three times now - not to mention a credit they owe me that has been promised for over three weeks now. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere - even the few spools I did get before my current issues were just OK - one jammed into a print since the spool was not wound correctly, I need to unroll a fair amount of the spool to get it to correctly feed for the remainder of the spool. To recap - I have over 20 spools on order and if I will ever get them remains to be seen - This weekend I will be sending each charge to Visa and I will request that they block Makergeeks from charging my card.. Lets address that one now as well - a Business is not allowed to charge you until they ship your item, but Makergeeks and Josh are all too quick to take your money.... wonder why :)

briang327
12/8/18

These guys are an absolute joke. I've ordered 3 times in the past and every time there's some problem and lies about production being down. I now have two orders purchased on sale over a month ago and no shipment nor a reply to any of my emails or request to cancel. DO NOT BUT FROM HERE!

vincentp70
11/28/18

Placed an order on October 29th... Did not ship for 2 weeks... Cancelled order which they responded via email... Its Nov 29th and I still haven't gotten a refund despite twice a week emails that they said they would... Lousy customer service. This has also happened to a couple other people I know... Frustrating...

jimmyb121
11/26/18

MakerGeeks is offering 50% off site wide coupon. for today Cyber-Monday.

You will regret ever doing business with them. They will take your 50% Cash and that's it! You won't see a darn thing. EVER!

It's been over 2 years, and noda, nothing, crickets. State is so backlogged on these guys that it will take the public to close them down.

You have been warned.

All those fluffy 5 star ratings are Smith's buddies boosting his ratings.

mikeb818
11/15/18

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Don't buy from here. I tried to give them a second chance and they screwed me again. Double charged me one month for my Geek box without delivery, ignored all my emails, out of 7 months subscription, delivered 2 times, and more I'm sure but not worth getting into. Finally had to call the CC company and chargeback for the undelivered product. Oh well... To their credit, the product that did get delivered was worth the prices, but you end up paying double or triple from my experience with there dishonest billing.

One last thing: what company do they produce for as they claim? I've never seen any other distributor carry plastics with the temps they use for PLA. I have to assume that that claim is another bunch of B.S. from a B.S. company.

This question is for reviewer "Scott D." In your review you said: "I just noticed all of the one star reviews below. Not sure who these people are...Not sure what agenda these reviewers have..." I will be happy to tell you my "agenda" for writing a 1-star review: To warn people that MakerGeeks.com is a SCAM business. I can PROVE that I was defrauded by Joshua and I gave that proof to the Better Business Bureau, as have several other customers. Anyone who wants to know the TRUTH, can look up MakerGeeks.com on the BBB site. Search for "MakerGeeks.com" or Maker Geeks" (2 words). The BBB did an INVESTIGATION of MakerGeeks.com and made a report, with the result being a rating of F and 1 star. The BBB says: "The BBB letter grade represents the BBB's opinion of how the business is likely to interact with its customers. The ratings system relies on a proprietary formula that takes into account 17 factors based on objective information and actual incidences of a businesss behavior that have been verified and evaluated by BBB professionals." Considering the BBB's very negative report on MakerGeeks.com, why should anyone trust the 5-star reviews here? Fake reviews are easy to write. Note that in this question section, Joshua continues to ignore my request for his phone # and address. Also note that according to the BBB report, MakerGeeks.com failed to provide valid contact info. It obviously does not want to respond to all the complaints. Hiding from its customers and the BBB--does that sound like a legit business?

Even though BBB is another useless scam, Sally D here is correct. MakerGeeks is a cleverly operated niche scam business that targets customers who do not have time to dispute a $400-$900 charge. They randomly fulfill orders with generic filament, never fulfill larger orders, and seem to employ a few people to run the website, some blogs, and produce fake reviews, like 50% of reviews in this thread. You can help shut them down by complaining to FTC, local MO authorities (assuming that they are in MO) and to domainabuse-AT-tucows.com where their domain name is registered.

By Phil K.

Sally, according to https://bsd.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/BusinessEntityDetail.aspx?page=beSearch&ID=3838579 Maker Geeks Manufacturing, Inc. 810 N $#*!erson Ct Springfield, MO 65803 and MakerGeeks.com 812 E State Hwy 174 Republic, MO 65738

By Roger W.

Joshua b Smith Phone: 417.631.3092 Email: joshua@makergeeks.com 5 Doctors Park Cape Girardeau, MO 63703 Was the last known legally filed address.

By David S.

Questions? Get answers from the MakerGeeks staff and other customers.

12 Photos for MakerGeeks