Review of MagicJack

Tel: 1-800-624-4252
reportabuse@magicjack.com

privateb
11/8/18

Magicjack website shows calls to Brazil are .05 cents per minute. I paid over $50 total in one month. When I made a call, which lasted a few minutes, the next time I made a call the minutes/money was gone each time.The last time we could not even hear each other and said nothing but what to eachother the whole time. I called magicjack customer service, they told me the money would be refunded back to my credit card. It was not. I spent another 30 minutes on hold and on the phone with them (rude foreigners) and this time they refuse to refund anything. For $50 I should have gotten 1000 minutes or 16 hours of talking for what I paid magicjack.

taylorj11
6/23/16

I guess you get what you pay for which is a year of subscription or possibly five years of subscription. That is probably very affordable and you can take the device anywhere you go. As long as you have an Internet connection to connect to it. It has a USB charger adapter which can plug into a laptop and there is software which interfaces with the laptop. Or you can connect to The Internet without using the computer at all, as long as you have an Ethernet capable router. This device that I have is not Power Over Ethernet. It has a USB with a adapter. But the communication uses the Internet by Ethernet by itself (and the Ethernet router and modem). or WiFi (or perhaps Ethernet) through a Laptop. You are paying for a Magic Jack number only. It is not like Landlines where you are paying for the telephone number and the infrastructure. and since Magic Jack has no infrastructure is why it is so cheap. You have to pay for a separate infrastructure by using and paying for your Internet Service Provider. ALSO you can install it on your mobile telephone device (iPhone and Android ONLY, no Blackberry or Windows Phone) using your Cell Phone coverage, or perhaps tablet, but if your tablet has no Internet connection, then ... again as before ... You need to get a third party Infrastructure such as a MiFi device or Home Internet. Other physical characteristics of this device is that it is very small and only has enough room for the USB to computer or to adapter (both cable and adapter is included) ... The Ethernet Cable (Ethernet Cable Included) and a telephone jack for a telephone. I do not think that the telephone cable is included. It works quite well which is useful for calling myself lol. AND it is VERY NICE to have an "old fashioned" house phone again. I have two very nice shiney black and IMO futuristic looking telephones. One has no phone jack. It only has the adapter to plug into the wall and the dock has an antenna somewhere which interfaces with the main docking station (the one that DOES have the phone jack.)

So why have I had enough of Magic Jack?!

Because I have gone through a legal last name change which I cannot EVER change this on my Magic Jack account. I also talked to the technical support asking if they reveal my name address and telephone is publicly searchable. They say no but I do not believe them because I have already found it! I also want to see about getting a new account if I would have to buy a new device. They say that devices can NEVER be reregistered. I asked if I can return the device so that they can deprogram it and resell it or at least recycle it but they said no. In other words: USED IS TRASH. Is this REALLY the society that we live in?! USED IS TRASH?!?! I have to either have a basically paper weight or throw away an otherwise perfectly good device?! And the most important problem is if they send out the name with the telephone on the caller ID. They said Yes, even if the call goes to Mobile Telephones. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

I have tested this out before and so far ONLY THE NUMBER shows up so perhaps there is not so much to worry about but this is a very cheap company. They might as well call themselves "Apple" who uses a similar practice of depreciation so you can keep buying their "disposable" items.

If somebody has an alternative please let me know.

walterh38
3/8/16

I have not been able to get Majic Jack to send a port request to my telephone co. so I can keep my no.

bradb47
10/12/15

I did several hours worth of "live chats" since they have robots instead of people working for them, obviously, with no customer service number to call for tech support, they know we'd hear there digitized voices and catch on. Well the jig is up Magic Jack we are all onto you! The service works fine for me, on the voicemail outgoing and incoming calls, but no matter what phone i plug into it, even looking at the REN of the phone model that "should work" with the electric output of the magic jack no phone will produce a ringtone, thus meaning i cannot use my cordless phone answering machine i have to use their voicemail. I jiggered mine and downloaded that stupid magic app they have onto a tablet that sits by my phone and now that acts as a "faux" ringer. all and all I give it 2.5 thumbs down and a half puppy paw down. Tootles bots

tinan2
4/16/14

Purchased the magicjack plus a few years back (expensive) ported my number to it, charged me every year to keep the number, had to replace device 3 times last year after 6 months, charged me to replace it each time, now canceling my service they are holding my number not letting me port it out. Not the ecomomical service they boast about, and inconveinent when it goes out have to wait for them to mail it to you

richardj5
9/15/13

magicJack offers virtually no customer support, and no phone contact except a line for billing matters. I answer questions about a great many websites and companies for a help site, and magicJack engenders by far the most complaints. Many of those complaints have to do with not being able to get the device to work (perhaps after it has worked just fine for a while). Others concern renewal nags *after* the renewal has been purchased, or paid renewals that did not renew serviceor, most troubling of all, charges for calls whose cost should according to the company's promotions be covered by the purchase price.

magicJack's justification for these unexpected charges is this provision in the middle of magicJack's extensive hard-to-read Terms of Service:

"We may require prepaid purchase and/or we may charge you for calls to conference lines, platforms and certain high cost calls, or any call wherein we incur a cost from another carrier."

The average consumer, even if he or she were to look over the Terms of Service, will not grasp the import of this nearly-hidden provision.

Some magicJack customers are happy with the product. I don't advise however taking that chance.

giw1
1/4/13

Purchased a standard magic jack on 10/29/2011 from RITE AID in Clayton, NC
totaling $32.01. That does not include the additional years purchased which expire on 10/29/2014. Installed the item and it worked rather well while we lived in a single family residence however upon moving to an extended stay facility on 01/15/2012 we had nothing but problems and issues with incoming and outgoing calls breaking up badly. We got no resolve from magic jack for the numerous contact attempts and since we could not use the device when we called to CLOSE down the account on 01/04/2013 we got NO REFUND for the remaining subscription that did not expire until 10/29/2014 either. Would avoid this web site because of all the hipe over a device that does not work properly.

kellyr10
6/26/12

Magicjack is the coolest thing ever. You can call from your phone to any phone in any state in America. They also provide a device for your computer so that you an pick up calls in any place in Canada and in the U.S. I've researched further more about magicjack and it landed me to a post in a review site called reviewsofwebsites.com. Post saying that services in magijack has expired. I just need to know if that' true. Please leave a cooment.

lisec
12/8/11

I have had the MagicJack for two years now. The product is perfect and works wonderfully well. Saved a bundle on long distance fees. Wouldn't get rid of it for the world! The problem is the Company... When you try to talk to someone to ask a question... I spent over an hour with an "agent" who sent me to another "agent", and all this time, they have prerecorded answers that tell you "Sorry to keep you waiting, I will be right with you"... one after the other, and they have you waiting for an extremely long time before you get the tiniest answer. I got se frustrated, I asked where I could file a complaint. They gave me the same place as the other person mentionned, and when I typed it, it got your site... I will be trying the other site the previous person mentionned. I hope they get a real phone number soon, because the product is genius, the company smells like a dead rat.

lisag14
5/28/11

I think this sites policies and customer service is ridiculous at best, and dirty at worst.
I renewed my magicjack subscription on tuesday (it is now saturday). And I changed my mind because I can not afford it and I wanted to change my plan to a cheaper plan or cancel it. I thought this is fine because I just renewed it 4 days ago so they should let me have some leeway to change my mind like this. Well, on looking that the website there is no security for subscribers. they have no mailing address or phone number. No company contacts and names of real managers who run the site. The only way to contact them is some anonymous "online help" button where you get to chat with any random person with just a first name, who is supposedly a "technician". They will not answer your questions right away and spend at least 5 minutes to give a very vague answer. When you ask them directly for a name or contact of the managers or have a complaint about their services they give you a blanket and very vague answer like "there are company protocols and we must follow them". They do not tell you runs the company and where you can reach a real person by phone or in person, they do not give you a general email to contact, it is something like "customerservicemgr@magicjack.com". I am not even sure if that is a real email. Maybe the "technician" who gave me that email just made it up on the spot to recieve my complaints. Beware of this company!!! It seems like a good deal for phones. But as I have seen in the VOIP business, these companies come and go like travelling circuses, and there is no information on this website to show that the owners of this site can not just disappear anytime with everyones money (they do not put up real business contacts and details). BEWARE!!!

perrye1
11/14/10

I've had the magicjack 2 years an works great, took my long distant off my house phone. I live in missouri an call all my friends all over the USA no charge

michaelr6
8/27/10

The site tells you how wonderfull their product is but offers NO cost information untill after you've provided all your credit card information. IF you go to the next page to learn how much it costs, they send you their product even if you tell them you DON"T want it and then offer you a complex method to return it.
THEY ARE A RIPOFF!

ronnieh
7/7/09

I am trying to find out how to return this thing they call magicjack. It does not work and from some of the things I have read they have fooled A lot of people. I can't find out how to return it so I won't have anything else charged on my card. How can A company sell without having A address for their custmers to contact them. I think they knew this thing didn't work.

Questions? Get answers from the MagicJack staff and other customers.

MagicJack?