Review of LoveShack.org

Levittown, Pennsylvania 19056, United States
webmaster@loveshack.org

priscillap25
2/28/19

These posters are nasty. It's a place for old racist white men who want to act holier than thou and bash women for speaking out.

No wonder these old dudes are single.

Cough cough (salparadise)

billyb176
1/18/19

I tried to post to help others. Instead asanine moderators like Robert are ruining the website. That's why I left. The moderators can take the advice of those on the forum.

fireb3
12/14/18

I agree that the moderation is ruining the forum. One can't be sarcastic or challenge anyone and they randomly close topics. Robert and William/carhill are the worst for sure. No rationale for their decisions.

cardib
12/11/18

Gorillatheatre, salparadise, and fooloftheyear are old geezer nutjobs that need to get a life.

don't trust these men! they are the wizard of oz hiding behind a computer.

i wont be like them when i get that old. :)

keanag1
6/29/18

Loveshack tells you why. Look at all of the middle-aged and older couples on here, who dont know what theyre doing. Even when older posters are giving relationship advice, its flawed.

As a young woman, heres the message that I want to give to young posters who join Loveshack.

Why would you want to trust a bunch of old divorcees, who brag about banging 24-year old women? Why would you trust posters, who cant even type and spell properly? Chances are that you are more educated and informed than the baby boomers on there. Why would you trust people, who dont take responsibility for their failed relationships? Its sad when the original poster will make their ex look crazy, when they are part of the problem.

People are happy that this forum is back, because it enables their dysfunction and insecurity. Youre better off sharing your problems elsewhere. These people arent qualified to help you. This isnt the best relationship forum out there. Its not worth a young persons time.

rimpil
5/18/18

I wouldnt recommend this forum. I went back there the other day. Some poster was telling a girl, who experienced assault, that a real rape victim would fight back. Give me a break. I dont understand why this forum is regarded as wise.

mikem863
5/13/18

Loveshack.org is back in business at the moment.

Still no explanation as to why it went down. So cannot speculate on the various rumors.

pb88
5/12/18

Eh, I was occasionally moderated like the rest of you, but having run a site myself before, I get it. I like Carhill just fine, though his mod personality was necessarily annoying because who likes criticism, right? There were some stupid rules, as if this site wasn't for 18 years old and over but for grade school kids. My biggest gripe is I think adults should be able to use the same cuss words you can see nightly on prime time tv, as long as they're used passively rather than for name calling at the person. I was once moderated for using the word "cucumber." Really? It takes all the humor out of it.

That said, when I ran a site, my site was a total dictatorship. People whined about their "freedom of speech" and I quickly told them my site wasn't a democracy and then banned them if they kept it up. This would mostly be people I found annoying or who challenged everything anyone said. That site, due to the subject matter, attracted lots of trolls (you can't say "troll" at Loveshack) and I know how big a job it is to keep track of them and research and ban them, so I have some sympathy for mods. And as they said over and over, they had to go by the owner's rules.

The mods said back a few months when the site was down for a couple of weeks that it could just vanish one day, and it has. We'll see if anything else happens, new site, whatever. I mean, that one did need to be updated some way. There was an app but it was hard to read on. If I knew how to make an app-friendly site, I'd do it myself. Might anyway sometime when I'm not so busy. If I do, I'll come on here and let people know. I don't have anyone's email.

What I liked best: I thought as a whole, there was usually a very good consensus of advice, especially on serious matters.

What I liked least, people who came on there making basically the same post over and over, got sound advice, ignored it, and kept posting hoping for someone, anyone, who agreed with them. Broken records who would never take advice, who thought everyone in the world was wrong and they were right, would never seek professional help, as is too often the case of people who need it worst. These people were just like a rat on a wheel, hoping to somehow get what they want with no effort or taking responsibility for their own situations. They need someone to be honest with them instead of just sympathizing because they're their own worst enemy. I'd ban those people once it became a hopeless pattern if it was up to me because it demoralizes those trying to help. And sometimes I think LS did. But not enough.

Another thing is you can't judge that a person is a loser because they post a lot. Some of us type as fast as we think. One such person is home with a special needs child. You really want to act like she's nothing because she posts good advice for you on a regular basis? Another was a professional, and she posted excellent advice. These people aren't idle or losers. They're smarter than you and a lot more productive, apparently.

It made me feel good on the rare occasion when someone came on there with a big real-life problem (instead of one in their head) and the forum was able to really support them and show them the way out. It's worth putting up with all the rest if you think you might have really made a difference in one person's life.

janx1
5/12/18

Some reviewers names are familiar, others, not so much. For the ones who are familiar, glad to see that you're all alive and kicking. The site was massacred through over-moderation and especially, by his petty lordship carhill/William. If for nothing else, must admit that I'm experiencing some schadenfreude over the loss of his imaginary fiefdom.

There were some good and bad times. A chapter long forgotten until I happened on this review by accident so I joined to say "hi" to some of you and to add to the chorus of dissatisfied old members....haha.

dichotomyj
5/11/18

Yes there were nasty comments and bad advice. Yes the mods got heavy handed - I often did not know why I get suspended for a day or two. However for me it was a place to vent toxic feelings (no advice needed), and also more importantly to open my eyes to other views, relationship styles and lifestyle choices. I learned alot. Of course nothing ever really goes away on the internet does it ? (wink)

cloudyh
5/8/18

I have been looking for the site and just learned it was gone! So sad! It helped me through a difficult period in my life. Yes, there were trolls and mean comments were made at times (some directed towards me) but that is life. I enjoyed the insight provided by others who endured similar experiences. I wish Loveshack.org was back!

isaiahw10
5/7/18

The posters there are a bunch of broken, sorry ass losers who don't know how to give good advice. I did meet some awesome people on there, too, at the same time, though, so it's not all bad. If you need relationship advice, just go to a family member or friend if you can. People on the internet will never care as much as they do.

heaveno1
5/6/18

Hey everyone! Heavenonearth here... I kinda miss Loveshack! One day it was just GONE -- I don't know why but I hope it will come back one day. I think it is odd that I was frequently talking to so many strangers on there who had a bit of a glimpse into my life - and now these people will forever be strangers. Anyway, I recognize a few names on here who have eulogized LS in their own words. Peace and hugs to everyone! Heaven.

maci2
5/6/18

This site was very helpful in 2013 when I faced my first heartbreak and needed advice, comfort and empathy that I could not find in real life. I did learn a lot about relationships, society and humanity. There were times when people were rude and harmful to those who were seeking out help. Many posters just wanted to be heard rather than help people, or wanted to provide 'tough love' when it was not in order. There were a lot of anti-feminists on there who use the word 'feminist' as an insult. The 'like' button was probably a bad thing. You give some advice and receive 0 likes, and the popular cool kid gives exactly the same advice 3 pages later with 10 likes. It is true about people ganging up on others, and if you stand up to the bullies then they will come after you. I like the spin-off site and found it so good and supportive but didn't realise they were just laughing behind my back. Heaven forbid your political opinions differ, or you challenge someone else's views. Most of the facts of life and relationships seem to be social, not brute facts. For many posters, there is no grey - just their own truth. I am sad that it is gone but I had enough of it anyway. Reading about problems all the time starts to get you down. Hard to let go of the site as it was the last chapter of that relationship I am still clinging to.

sarahk193
5/4/18
• Updated review

I find it very funny that LS mods are now posting here.
I miss LS and i wish it was still around but without the moderation.
Robert, do you really have such little confidence in yourself?

You were fair but i suppose someone has to be the _____

“Head Moderator William-Poster Carhill”
4/9/18
• Previous review

Once good site ruined by a man and his ego and issues of living with his mother for too long.

Backed up by Robert-Art Critic who clearly has his head up Williams buttocks.

Some nice posters but usually fall foul of these two and are never seen again.

Shame.

joej149
5/4/18

I loved Candle's review. I'm proud to admit I used the report post button many times. The reason why the moderators were very "strict" is because of all the abuse going on in the forum. When the new moderators started going to work, there was a lot of flaming, trolling, and cyberbullying. People would insult each other. I've saw one troll intimidate his victim by starting an account pretending to be the victim's mother. I also remember how one woman looking for advice became upset when a vigilante accused her of being a troll. I've also seen people get mobbed.

Kudos to the moderators for cleaning that place up. They decided to center the forum around people looking for advice and support instead of the Jerry Springer crowd that treated the website as a place of entertainment. The last things people going through difficult times need are to be harassed and ridiculed. I didn't give the forum five stars because people in position to give great advice don't go to relationship forums to give advice because they're too busy with their significant others.

Through a simple system of reporting posts for flaming, rude posts, and trolling, the moderators started weeding out all the undesirables. If you want to laugh at people's expense and harass people through the safety of your computer screen, you can go to all the forums that allow people to harass each other. Sorry, but I don't think it's funny when someone talks about castrating the OP of a thread or ridiculing an OP by intentionally giving crude, bad advice like groping his crush.

The moderators were trying to protect the most vulnerable people in the forum I'm going to end my review with my favorite phrase whenever I saw a rude or inappropriate post from a keyboard warrior.

stanm49
5/2/18

There is no way anyone can convince me that someone with 20,000 posts has a life. You would have to employ me to do that. I agree with the person who said the regulars think they own the place and try to tailor the rules to fit their prerogative.

alexandrab55
5/1/18

Ah, so many people's sagas--I'm already forgetting the names. There was a lot of wisdom on that site, and it probably helped curtail some of my foolishness. Don't know much about moderation, but I loved Carhill's posts . . . I took a star off because it is kind of nice to have a clearer head...I was addicted, like one gets to soap operas.

melanger
5/1/18

I've had good times on LS, "met" a few lovely people there, and have had several posters talk to me privately to tell me that I helped them. That, to me, is one of the best feelings in the world - knowing that you made a positive difference in someone else's life.

Unfortunately, for much of the last few years there, I've had a similar feeling while posting there that I did while living in a country that was run by a dictatorship who controlled the media and internet, where you had to watch every word you say otherwise you would be hauled in for questioning and jailed without trial. Having been on several other forums at the same time, I will say that I have never quite encountered such a draconian "enforcement" of rules. That was not the case several years ago, but really ramped up circa 2014 or so.

Yes, of course, there are other forums. I am surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. It's a free world (for most of us) and adults can do as they please. Posting on one forum does not mean you are not allowed to post on other forums. If the mere existence of "another forum" suffices to "pull posters away from LS", perhaps one might want to consider that they are having a better experience in the "other forum" than they are/were at LS, for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, RIP LS, and I hope the owner is doing okay. It's certainly not his fault, what LS became.

margaretl100
5/1/18

Good grief, Loveshack had been around for so long - what? 15 years? More? There were some incredibly insightful posts in certain forums. Study in human nature if you hung around long enough to see the patterns and repeat circumstances.

Yeah, it got bogged down in repetition, and sometimes the moderation seemed arbitrary. But not really. The moderators had a thankless job. Can't imagine what they got out of it, but I always respected the herculean effort. There was a vision of sorts.

I was so shocked at what Paul P. said about the invite-only forum pulling LS members away. So that's where they went! This all now feels like middle school. Real life is better, but it's still disappointing.

And compromising the anonymity of members? That's scary, but how? I'm a bit skeptical about that.

trenaw
4/30/18

Hi guys, Skywriter here. I miss the members of Loveshack and wish there was a site where we could continue to meet up. Anyway, wishing everyone happy days ahead!

candlep
4/30/18

It's a shame that the web forum has gone down and seems to be remaining down, as a long time poster and lurker there I miss it and also miss the connection I had with the posters there.
Moderation was tops and they did what they could do with what they were given as tools to moderate with.
As someone in the know I can say have no idea the tough items they had to deal with on a day by day basis and when you are dealing what some would say 10 year old children who think they can take out their anger on others. Each of those people would take up moderation time and many times not in mins but in hours and as many posters have already mentioned, moderation was voluntary and a gift to the owner of LoveShack
I think it's disgusting that an adult would take out their hate and anger toward another person in the review process of a website instead of just reviewing the website.
William is one of the reasons that LoveShack was still around, when faced with a group of haters who did nothing more on Loveshack than cause trouble for ALL of moderation and other posters he took the appropriate action and took out the trash, at least that is how I saw it or witnessed it happening.
I posted on LoveShack for the better part of 12/13 years and think it was stellar.
BTW, I had and have a rich full life with a full time job and family so the idea that someone has no life to have to post there is just nuts and goes to show more undeserved bitterness bestowed upon the posters there.

Hopefully we haven't seen the last of LoveShack and will one day be back to posting there.

brucew94
4/30/18

William and his other moderators ruined the site with their constant meddling in discussions. Any little thing could get you banned. The site was filled with a lot of feminazis who didn't hesitate to hit the report button because they didn't like a post. William played favorites with a lot of the female members and let them post whatever they wanted. I'm glad the site is gone. It was a very toxic site. Good riddance.

deepr4
4/30/18

I made some massive blunders in my life and came upon the site where others had shared their experiences. I won't say all posts were helpful but they definitely helped me think straight taking all the perspectives shared in the thread. Now that I am somewhat at a better place, it makes me sad that the site is gone. Definitely got the help and support I needed the most at that point of my life.

katiet51
4/29/18

I have been off an on this site since 2006. I wish I could have archived my posts. I will especially miss seeing the ongoing diary of LostintheWild. Her story is something I have become fully invested in over the years. I hope she has a happy ending. I also hope LS'ers migrate elsewhere. The closest thing I can find is enotalone ---

(UPDATE: DO NOT USE ENOTALONE. The moderators here are worse than anything Loveshack has ever seen. Apparently I had made an account in 2007 and posted twice, which I didn't remember, so therefore made a new one. The new account said I was banned for multiple accounts. So I tried again. Again banned. Contacted Admin and he was a COMPLETE JERK telling me that I'm not reading what he's saying and I am banned forever. So ridiculous. So much for a "support system".

I don't know where Loveshackers go from here, but I'm sorry I ever suggested this terrible site.

What's lacking is a life. Have you ever noticed how he goes on and on telling you how wonderful he is and mentioning all that he's accomplished? If he's so great then why the need for the constant ego stroke? He only had people "like" what he was saying because they tried to kiss up. It wasn't because he was nice or funny. He was mostly a little prick. Well he ruined it now. If it comes back up I suggest he change his name from carhill to downhill since that seems more fitting.

By jenna k.

I've not seen another forum like LS, and it would be great if an identical twin were to rise from the ashes, perhaps with a fairer, more even-handed approach to moderation. There are other forums around, one of them is by invite and hosts many former and present LSers. I know because I was a member and find it a bit strange at this point to pretend it doesn't exist. Anyway, they're a close group of friends with a largely very similar outlook on things, and they get to choose who joins them, which is totally fair enough. They have clashes with other posters (nothing out of the ordinary, all fora have their cliques and their bullies) but at least I left of my own accord - I wasn't kicked out or randomly banned. By contrast, my LS account was temporarily restricted for more than a year without any prior restrictions and no return in sight for ONE contentious post. A mix of these 2 sites (freedom to say what you like, to leave and have all your posts deleted whenever you like, open to all, with a fair and open moderation system where all topics are fair subjects of debate) would be perfect. I don't have the first clue about creating a site like that sadly or I'd have done it. Hoping someone does, though...

By Pretty E.

I think somebody called Paul was the actual owner. The moderators often complained that he'd lost interest in the site. I heard that the hosting fees hadn't been paid - therefore presumably the hosting service pulled the site.

By Tara M.
Questions? Get answers from the LoveShack.org staff and other customers.

LoveShack.org?