Review of LegalZoom

Over 10 years helping millions of customers
Learn More

elenam51
8/5/17

Used their service to open business (LLC). It was fast but expensive. Also they signed us up for all kinds of "free trial" services, and then started billing us $40 a month once the free trial, without notice, ended. Shifty practices. Be vigilant if you use them!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Elena, thanks for taking the time to explain your experience. We're sorry that you didn't have a great one and we appreciate your feedback. Talking to unhappy customers helps us do a better job in the future. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com at any time. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.
daniels317
8/2/17

we have requested documents about our company which were formed by LZ, very happy to receive a reply so fast with exact documents we needed.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Daniel, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
surendrap2
7/31/17

they are charging my credit card without my knowledge or any service.i have took service once butafter then they charged my card twice and i am disputing that charge. do not give them your credit card information.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you were unaware of. If it's something that you specified you didn't want to participate in, you definitely shouldn't have been enrolled, and that's our mistake. Contact a manager for immediate resolution via help@legalzoom.com.
nicolek55
7/28/17

I found it their lawyer team is great. However, for their customer representative team, it depends on your luck. I would say 50% of the time, you got a very nice and knowledgable one. Another 50% don't know what they are doing and won't try to help. I would pay if you want a good advice from their attorney. If you want some answers about all the documents and other things. You probably have to call two or three times to make sure you go the right answer. The customer representative claims that there is no way for them to call us back if the line is dropped. So, it is a good excuse for them to hang up on you if they don't want to speak with you anymore.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Nicole, we're very sorry to hear about your customer service experience; you deserve the best each time you communicate with us. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact a manager any time directly via help@legalzoom.com.
sarahh264
7/28/17

Any time you need legal advice or have questions, it is extremely nerve wracking. To know that Legal Zoom is always behind me truly sets my mind at ease. Matthew Moore was able to help me quickly and efficiently! Without him and Legal Zoom, I don't know where I'd be. Thank you so much, Matthew and Legal Zoom! You are truly a phenomenal organization!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Thanks for sharing your amazing experience Sarah. We really appreciate your kind words & we'll make sure Matthew knows just how much he helped!
jefferyb26
7/20/17

These stupid people have put 3 holds on my Will. Each time they tell me a different reason why. Cant they condense these issues into 1 hold??? Makes zero sense. I regret giving them any of my money and really wish I went elsewhere. BUYER BEWARE

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Jeffery, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We’re really interested in knowing what kind of resolution you’d like to see and are willing to do anything we can to improve your experience with LegalZoom. Please contact help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing how we can make this situation better.
patiencel
7/19/17

I have been trying to use these guys as a registered agent in Nevada since May and it's been a pain in the butt. They see I have a registered agent in another state and apparently that is very confusing. I submitted paperwork for Nevada and Nevada only... IN MAY!!! Why are we still talking about this going into August.

This should be simple and I'm about to go crazy, I don't have time for this. It's a bunch of very nice people that don't know what the hell they are doing. Get away and save your precious time.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Patience, we're sorry about your experience. Usually things go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please feel free to contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
baljits1
7/13/17

Any other company would be better than legalzoom. I was tricked into signing up for the registered agent service and was charged without them telling me how much it would cost. Then I paid extra for rush delivery for a document that I received 2 weeks earlier by email. The customer service rep was rude and unhelpful. Never using them again. It cost me a total of over $1300, I would've paid less if I got it done with a lawyer.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Baljit, it is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Our registered agent service is offered only as an option to our business customers. The online questionnaire offers our service but also allows you to name another (including yourself). The website explains the service is a yearly subscription that begins the moment the company is confirmed as filed with the state. The yearly fee is outlined in our online questionnaire, our pricing page as well as the itemized breakdown of charges provided to every customer prior to any payment request. We are very sorry for any misunderstanding and we are more than happy to help you in resolving this matter. If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com.
sherrye7
7/13/17

Be prepared when you want to cancel a subscription that is included with a premium service you purchase - plan to spend 20 minutes on hold since the extension they tell you to call does not work. Poor poor service. I won't use them again even though my LLC set up went rather smooth. I am too busy for this type of hostage situation.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Thanks for taking the time to explain your experience. We're sorry that you didn't have a great one and we appreciate your feedback. Talking to unhappy customers helps us do a better job in the future. If you have any other questions, suggestions, or concerns, please contact help@legalzoom.com.
williamr153
7/10/17

If you can hold your nose long enough you might get though dealing with a group of yahoos who could care less. The system works if ..you don't need service
I asked for super after I realized Brady was ...well lets say disconnected and she hung up...now I am scared about my trademark filing

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi William, I would like to extend my sincerest apology in regards to your less than great experience with LegalZoom. We will review your account & follow up with you directly. We’d like to change this experience around & try to make things right. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
martinb129
7/8/17

*For starters you cant cancel your subscription online, that one item should tell you everything you need to know.

I really, really wanted to like legal zoom, I am not an attorney but I have experience working with legal documents. I am able to edit most legal forms without an attorneys help to achieve the results I am looking for.

I subscribed to legal zoom in hopes that the forms would provide an excellent basis for me to edit to a final document. I started with a promissory note and found the document to be sub par at best. Numerous basic provisions were missing from each of the forms I downloaded. For example: Late Fee provisions and Notice to cure provisions.

Additionally the forms were very one sided in favor of the lender. As written one late payment (even one day) could trigger full acceleration of the note without any cure period or requirement to notify the borrower. The promissory notes were so bad that I am now unable to trust that other forms they have would be good quality.

The subscription gave me the impression that access to the document library was included. Each of the other forms I was really interested in ended up not being included, DBA forms, Will documents etc.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Martin, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. Please be aware all the legal forms are designed by attorneys & we try our best to ensure each of our customers are satisfied with our products/services. We are very sorry to hear that you were not happy with the forms downloaded. We will review your account & reach out to you directly to discuss any cancellation options. Please also feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com.
veronicas67
7/1/17

They will not transfer you to a "manager" asked for a a manager and just got put on hold for 30 mins and if they know they can not help they will not give you a name.

They sent me to collections with out notifying me (I went back and checked) then I call to have it "resolved" I was told it was then a month later the same collections company (they had updated with legal zoom) is calling me saying that i still owed, so I called and Brad who was helpful let me know I owe nothing then tranferred me to "buisness managment" the guy that answered did not give me a name and just gave me attitude when I wanted them to fix their mistake and instead of transferring me which should have been done he left me on hold.

If you haven't started using this company DO NOT BOTHER.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Veronica, we apologize for the experience you've had with LegalZoom. Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service, we clearly missed the mark this time. I want to resolve this for you. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please contact a manager directly via email at help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
pattyv15
6/28/17

filed a deed change got a document on email with my original copy of quit claim deed with a stamp on it apparently go deeds *(who work for you) thinks this is a copy of the new deed

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Patty, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We'd like to learn more about your situation & try to help with a resolution. Please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
gerardog15
6/28/17

I had the most positive experience working with Kris to expedite our business filing for the State of NY. Kris Wyatt was very accommodating and made sure that all our issues and concerns were properly addressed and resolved in a timely manner. It was very stressful to navigate the complexities of creating a business in a legal manner and Kris was able to put our minds at ease due to her calm demeanor and had shown empathy on our cause wherein she was able to truly help us all throughout the process. She deserves to have acknowledged for her excellent customer service skills that went above and beyond.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Gerardo, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. We'll let Kris know of your kind words and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
wernern5
6/26/17
• Updated review

After I posted my complaint on this website, I got a call within 24 hours from a supervisor at LegalZoom by the name Chris Graham - and the the problem was fixed right there and then. I am satisfied with the overall outcome.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to make your experience a better one.
“Terrible Customer Service”
• Previous review

When I placed the order for their estate planning template, there was no wait on the phone. Also, the attorney was punctual, knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. I told 'em so in a quick survey. In addition, they did a good job in customizing the template to my specific case.

Once the docs came back for signature, notary public, etc - and after i faxed the signed docs to them, communication stopped cold. I had two problems. On their app, they missed to upload the living will of my wife, and they have given me the run-around as it pertains to my desire to either upload the signed docs to the cloud/app, or get them via email so I can upload them myself.

I have literally spent hours on hold, only to then be serviced by people that either didn't understand or didn't care. How complicated is it to complete the upload of the last of 6 docs to my app, and why are they not helpful in letting me have the signed docs I faxed to them - and paid for, mind you.. They have them somewhere, ready to go. One operator told me then that I needed a $119 annual subscription to get the signed docs uploaded to the app/cloud, something I had never heard before.

I have also tried to email my complaint, but all I get is a lot of gibberish that is not even addressing my stated problem.

They are good at the front end, but once they sent the docs ready for signature, they lost interest. I get a knot in my stomach just hearing the name LegalZoom. Their unresponsiveness once they pocketed the money is hard to believe.

I guess you can say that you get what you pay for. Very disappointing experience.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Werner, we're sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience with LegalZoom and we want to make it right. We are reviewing your order to determine exactly what happened & how we can resolve this. We will contact you directly but please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
jamesb553
6/25/17

Legal Zoom is very slow and unreliable. I had them file a Llc for me, it took them well over 2 months to get my EIN and I still don't have the paperwork needed to open my business bank account, now it's going on 3 months

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi James, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
ianb105
6/22/17

Instructed them a month ago, and they did absolutely nothing except take payment. Did not return calls, or advise on (non) progress in any way. They are cheap for a reason!

They have cost me an additional £400.00 in service charge by wasting a month in doing absolutely nothing. Said they were waiting for documents that were not even relevant as an excuse! Asked for a refund and will go elsewhere.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Ian, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We'd like to learn more about your situation. Please kindly submit your contact information to: help@legalzoom.com and we will review your order history. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.
gordonw32
6/20/17

Jason listened to my situation and came up with a solution that met my needs . It is always nice to be able to talk to someone that can actually answer the question witha great solution. Thanks.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We agree Gordon, thanks so much for sharing your experience.
merryk1
6/14/17

Alma is awesome, I had a million questions she gave a Million answers! I emailed a question she emailed me back! Just because of her great attitude ,and customer service you guys have our business!!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Merry, thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. We'll be sure to let Alma know of your kind words!
daniell1404
6/13/17

I'm still beginning the process but to help others out. if your a first time seller stay away as your only interaction is online which is probably fine when you know the all the legal terms but if your a newbie I'd go with people you can speak too. This is rubbish. An annoying thing is that the reference forms they speak of bear no relation to the online forms you are presented with, this makes having an easy conversation about missing information impossible really. I rang the support line and they asked me to tell them the name of my solicitor that's appointed by them what the, that's just stupid they should have all the details to hand. So in summary save yourself a nightmare stay away.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Daniel, we could not be more apologetic about your experience. We would like an opportunity to try to change things around. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
andreac127
6/9/17

I was in the middle of filling out my DBA application form online and a customer service rep called to ask if I had any questions with the application. I asked a couple of questions and got really rude answers. The rep seemed frustrated and ended up hanging up on me!! I've never been hung up on by a customer service rep before until now. I was close to being done with my application but after that call, I decided not to submit the application and won't be using their services ever again. It ended up taking me only 30-45 minutes and was way cheaper to file the DBA myself with the state ($24.60 compared to Legalzoom's $99). I hardly ever write reviews but this was such a terrible experience that I had to let others know to beware of this company.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Andrea, we are so sorry about your entire experience. We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We'd like an opportunity to try & make your experience better. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
johna937
6/7/17

I was looking to work on patenting a device. I signed up and then I was working to make my first prototype. Time passed by of course and it took me longer than expected. By the time I was ready to use Legalzoom to apply for a patent, and speak to a patent lawyer, guess what?? some sort of a legal adviser (not attorney) that I'm not sure how competent they are. On top of that , they DON'T offer a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT, you have to rely on their "word" and reputation. For a legal service, not to offer a nondisclosure agreement is really NOT the way to go and of course I found help someplace else.
Thanks for nothing notLegalZoom for charging me all these years for an under par service (Charged up to date close to $1400 :))))))

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi John, we're sorry about what occurred with your order and with your overall experience. Usually orders go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
chrish310
6/7/17

Had an issue (my fault) where I selected the incorrect legal names (not full legal name of individual LLC holders). To get this corrected I thought legalzoom would help but it became another sale to them and was going to cost around $200 including state filing fees. I write this to let you all know it's worth your time to save your money and do the paperwork with the state yourself when filing an LLC.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Chris, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
marye247
6/6/17

I wish I would have taken the time to read these reviews prior to placing my order. I initiated my order on May 24, Paid a significant upcharge for their "Expedited" and all inclusive service. The order was to be completed in 5-7 days. Today is June 6th, the website claims the order will be completed by June 18. Currently on hold for my second " Request for More Information" call. Been on hold for over 54 min despite the estimated 21-23 min hold time. Had to pay an additional charge, last time I had a "Request for More Information Call" Cant wait to hear this excuse why the order cannot be completed in their advertised "Expedited" time frame. My order number is 48441608 for the poor individual who has the responsibility to respond to these complaints. Still on Hold after 1:06. Called their sales department and got right through.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Mary, I am very sorry you did not have the best experience; you deserve better. I have reviewed your account and will contact you directly to help resolve this expeditiously. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
ethels16
6/6/17

We hired Legal Zoom to set up our LLC. We were not advised of them setting themselves up as our Registered Agent. By them doing so we were being billed $299 per year for this service. I have to go through the Secretary of State website to remove them as our Registered Agent and pay them $15. They will not credit me back the money until they have been officially removed. When I called them and asked them to remove themselves from the LLC they told me I had to do it with the Secretary of State and once they verified it they would credit me back. I asked them what exactly they did for the $299 and they hung up on me. This is crazy. If they put it on there, they should be able to remove themselves. They don't do anything for us for $299 a year.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Ethel, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We'd like to learn more about your situation. Please kindly submit your contact information to: help@legalzoom.com and we will review your order history. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

3 Photos for LegalZoom