Review of LegalZoom

Over 10 years helping millions of customers
Learn More

heavens1
10/29/18

I was having a hard time understanding the payment option details so I went to the live chat and Mackenzie helped me out so much. I know more now than I originally wanted to ask about.

johnm2430
10/12/18

I had the pleasure of working with Jason Garcia from LegalZoom who was very attentive to my needs when navigating through my business profile. He was extremely responsive and a pleasure to work with.

michaelu44
10/7/18

I signed up to get an LLC package and opted for a payment plan of $136 a month over a 3 month period of time. I was charged a separate charge of $249 that I did not authorize! I made several calls and sent several emails with not response or help. I did how ever talk too 2 different people and was explained that it was a regeistered agent fee. One that's not included in the payment plan that I agreed to and authorized! Now I was also told that $100 of the was for a business license fee from their sister company. When I called them they told me it would cost $299 extra to get the license. All they told me wa go to the tax collectors office and get it there. I was charged $100 for some stupid advice that didn't do a thing to help as everyone knows that's where you have to go! I told them I don't want that service and wanted to be refunded for the charge. I also explained the basic registered agent fee would be fine but not the other stuff and I was told I had to contact the state about it! I want my money refunded for the crap charges the fraudulently made to my account and did not authorize! I filed a complaint with the better business and I'm going to file a complaint with my bank and I'm going to contact the sheriffs department and report them for making fraudulent charges as well if they do not fix what they did! I clearly agreed to the 3 payments not the $249 2 days after the first payment was made! Ya and I never got my company seal as it was included in the package that I am paying for!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Michael, our registered agent service is only an option to our business customers. The website explains it's yearly subscription that begins the moment the company is confirmed as filed with the state and not included in your initial single payment or three pay installment selection. Reason being is because this service does not officially begin until your business entity is active. The yearly fee is outlined in our online questionnaire, the itemized breakdown of charges provided prior to payment, the order confirmation receipt and the welcome letter included in your package. We're very sorry for any misunderstanding & we are more than happy to help you in resolving this matter. We've reached out to you directly but please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
dennism336
10/2/18

I've engaged Legal Zoom in many occasions. Always on time and well within budget. Highly competent professional and knowledgeable staff.

robertal34
9/29/18

This company is a scam they took money out of my account without your permission. The manager is Alex he is a liar. He took money out of my account twice. Sept 2017 and when i called to complain. The first time she said that it was for extra services. I said I did not want so she put the money back into my account. There was no outstanding bill. Sept 2018 they took out $132.99 and said I still owed them this money and it was a computer glich and they did not receive the final payment which made the total amount $500.00 for some papers they typed. There is nothing Legal about this company. My bank has put a complaint in for fraud. They have kept my banking info for two years and the bank said that it was illegal to keep a customer account that long. They never gave me any statement letter or phone call. They lie in wait to rob your bank account. I am also filing a complaint with the IRS regarding there procedures and have them audited. Please do not trust this company

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Roberta, it's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Please contact a manager who can help directly via help@legalzoom.com.
hannys2
9/19/18

Frustrating services and bad quality,It is absolutely fraud. pathetic customer service.It needs to be shut down.Beware anyone who uses this, They are dealing in fraudulent practices.no follow ups to see how is the product is working if I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship. Stay away!I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're sorry to hear you weren't happy with your experience and we would like to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com & we’ll try our best to resolve things. We look forward to making your experience a better one.
zincs
9/14/18

Shame on you, Poor service and a rip-off! I'm disappointed with their customer service.I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship.They are dealing in fraudulent practices, shameful services.

skennisc
9/11/18

I didn't receive any response for more than weeks for which i had to shift on some other services. It is absolutely fraud, never refer to anyone for this, bad customer service , money and time wasting site really bad service not going to recommend to anyone, frustrating services and bad quality.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about your concerns and try to turn things around for the better. Please contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com & we’ll reach out to you right away.
qazaj
9/6/18

Beware of Companies Posing isn't there a law against this Don't call them.Poor service and a rip-off! I'm disappointed with their customer service.Fast response is what they promise but i am shocked to see their bad service. I have been scammed by this company.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Qaza, we're sorry to hear you feel you've been scammed & haven't received the best service. We'd like to investigate this further & provide a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
stephens401
8/15/18

The Operating Agreement that Legal Zoom created was a total of 15 pages and the last two pages were Exhibit's A and B with literally no documentation. It was created in July and I needed to make some adjustments. Of course, I needed to go through one of their contracted companies and in this case it was Dunlap Bennett & Ludwig. Documentation shows that they up charge customers a $39 fee to review documents over 10 pages. Under 10 pages are free. The next break it 11-15 is $39 and more than that is $99. My Legal Zoom document has 15 pages. I was okay with the extra $39, but then Dunlap and Bennett said that their fonts change the document to 17 pages and that they will need to charge me the $99 fee. I told them that I would just rather cancel the service altogether and work with a real attorney. I also cancelled my request to trademark a logo at the price of $815 as well. I need to get this done, but I still think that a local attorney would have that done for me at the same price point if not lower. Thoughts?

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Stephen, we're sorry about what occurred with your attorney consultation and with your customer service experience. Usually the attorney consultations & subscription cancellation process goes more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
rozzir
8/15/18

Very poor management, never refer to anyone for this. Don't call them. It is absolutely scam; I had a very frustrating experience with this company. The website was very late in replying me. Absolutely pathetic customer service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Rozzi, we are very sorry you haven't had the best experience thus far and we would really like to change this around for the better. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com. We assure you will receive a timely response.
danielg355
7/31/18

The most skilled employees are the slick salesmen, not the lawyers. They bait-and-switch to sell you the most expensive products, offer little justifications other than "this is required by fed/state law". "Registered Agent" is perfect example of hooking you into recurring payments. They set themselves up with the state to receive correspondence on your business. If you want to cancel the recurring charge, you have to file the revised paperwork with the state, and they won't help you, saying, "we're not familiar with the laws in all 50 states". When forced to explain legal terms, they are condescending, and stingy with information. Their Website advertises "Setup your business in 7 to 10 days" It actually took 6 weeks, because they misfiled papers, failed to contact us when papers were approved, and blamed it on delays in the state/fed government.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Daniel, we're sorry about this experience and we want to help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
franks367
7/23/18

Worst experience ever!!! They will sit on your documents, say there are delays with your govt agencies, and give you any excuse to make you think it is not their poor service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Frank, we'd really like to review your account & try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager about your concerns directly via help@legalzoom.com.
jacobs216
6/28/18

Don't call them. It is absolutely scam, I had a very frustrating experience with this non-responsive company that seems to do nothing but be intent on ruining reputations.bad experience, no customer service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
It is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We would definitely like to research the full details of your account & make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
clivej4
6/21/18

Kris Wyatt resolved all my questions with a professional and extremely courteous phone call. My business was registered on time and I feel confident with LegalZoom going forward.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Clive, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
beatap3
6/20/18

The main reason I used them is for help to start a business. They never provided me with a business license one of the most important things I need. Spent thousands with no real results

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Beata, we’re very sorry you feel you didn’t have the best experience. We do not offer the services of obtaining business licenses but we do offer a business license package that helps you obtain the forms you need. We apologize for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. We’ve reviewed your account & we’ll reach out to you directly about your package. Please also feel free to contact a manager anytime via help@legalzoom.com.
jackd223
6/14/18

Used them to set up my LLC. All went smoothly. They pressed me hard to become my 'registered agent" for an annual $179 fee which I did not do. From many reviews, I'm happy I made that decision, as it seems very hard to cancel out of it.

I then used them to get an EIN #. This has been terrible. I evidently needed to sign the SS4 IRS form which I only discovered by logging on to my account.....would have been nice if they sent me an email or text message requesting this, so this was a week lost. I signed form and email back directly, but the email address they provided did not work and was difficult to find the proper one. They now claim to have what is needed, but my account status can't be changed, that asks me to call their 800 # because action on my part is required. They claim it's in process, but it's been 2 weeks.

I just looked online to the IRS site and it says that I could have done this online with immediate results for free! So I have given LZ $79 to get all this frustration!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Jack, we like our customers to feel like their entire experience is great and we apologize if this wasn't the case in your situation. We've reviewed your order & your EIN concerns and we will reach out to you directly to make things right. Please also feel free to contact a manager any time via help@legalzoom.com.
gregorys137
5/17/18
• Updated review

LegalZoom reached out to me respectfully and fixed everything that was wrong point for point. our beef is over.
Thank you!

“they must be going broke...”
5/7/18
• Previous review

they over charge for registered agent services then refuse to negotiate and belittle their customers for asking, then they assured me they are not lawyers, ha ha they sure act like em'. I have done a bunch of business with this outfit in the past but rest assured that wont be happening anymore. for $460 i could have hired a local legal firm and made some friends at the same time.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We’ll review your account & reach out to you directly. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.
cynthiak80
5/13/18

I have been trying 4 months to get a simple job done (registered agent) and I was told it could be done quickly. I have called and emailed and was told, when I called, "there is no reason this should be held up.....I will escalate it". Still, nothing. They SUCK and I will cancel the charge on my credit card and start over with someone else!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We’ve reviewed your account & entity status in detail and we will reach out to you directly to resolve. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly anytime via help@legalzoom.com.
royu1
4/13/18

I'm not sure if anyone at this company has a brain. They died me up for two months. A simple corporation set was what I needed. During this time I spoke to 5 different people who all ask the same thing and had the same problem. What state was I in again? What the name of the corporation you wanted? I was amazed how these people found their way to work, On second thought, maybe they were work from home employees. After the 5th person called me I just had my money refunded on the spot. I then went to the secretary of state of my state an less than an hour I have the paperwork sent to me and all filled and in the mail. The folks at your secretary of state will help you. The paperwork is easy and all for 100.00 buck, at least in my state, you can do it too. I then when on line and found the company that makes and sells the corporate documents and corporate seal. This was another 85.00 bucks. Legal wanted around 400.00 for took me less than an hour. I predict Legalzoom won't be around much longer without someone getting a handle on how poorly it is being ran.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We apologize for the poor experience you had while transacting business with our organization. It is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers, such as you are, with exceptional service during every interaction. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate and welcome your feedback. Please be reassured that we will forward your comments to review our operations and determine where improvements need to be made. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.
maeganm5
4/10/18

I have never been so stressed out dealing with a business. Every time I get off the phone with a headache! I spoke to someone in sales that assured me I would have something done by a certain date. That date is a little over a week away and the papers have not left legalzoom to go to the state yet. I wait on hold for many of my lunch hours. I am told everything will be handled. It is not and then I have to call back and start over. I am dealing with a nonprofit so I do not want to spend a ton of money to have everything rushed but I do not know what else to do at this point pay them off to move my papers off their desk!?? I would NEVER recommend them and I am someone that Never writes negative reviews for companies I respect that they are trying but this is unreal!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’ll review your account & reach out to you directly. Please feel free to contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com. I look forward to hearing how we can make this right.
edsonm13
4/3/18

Don't do it. I'm on the phone with them right now trying to figure out why I was billed an extra $467.94 from the initial bill. We're approaching 19 minutes on a hold. This is ridiculous.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Edson, we do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to try to improve your experience with us. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
jt147
3/28/18

Had a registered agent subscription for 159 bucks then got charged 499 in the most recent year. Called to complain and they told me they rolled this new service in where I could talk to a lawyer for 30 min a month into my RA service. I did not order this. I do not want this. Why spend the money to market a service when you can just charge existing customers for it and hope they don't notice. What is the difference between this and theft? None. They refunded the money, but what about the ones who did not notice it? Why use a gun to steal? Get's someone's CC and charge it.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi JT, we're sorry about what your registered agent renewal. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.
mandyb42
3/23/18

I am going on 3 months of dealing with getting a simple last will and trust. It is almost impossible to get a hold of anyone without having to wait an hour, they constantly put your order on hold and then do not let you know what you need unless you call them. Then when you do get to talk with someone they can't help you because they cannot give legal advise. I have scheduled attorney appointments, which I had to wait 2 weeks for the first time because they are only available from 2-5 on certain days. I basically had to take time off work to get their phone call, then they called, the phone was disconnected and when I tried calling back they didn't answer. The second time, which I had to wait for again, I put in my paperwork just as the attorney told me to do and they still denied it. I WOULD NEVER EVER RECOMMEND using Legal zoom. EVER. I have a very simple last will and testament and they can't process it because my wording in a section doesn't pass their initial automated phase. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Mandy, we apologize for the experience you've had with LegalZoom regarding your last will. Our goal is to make every customer happy with our products and service. We want to resolve this for you. We will review your account & contact you directly. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly anytime via help@legalzoom.com.
richarde87
3/19/18

I was recommended by a colleague to contact Legal Zoom to set up my LLC. I will note the process was a smooth, efficient and a pleasure.

Thank you!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Richard, thanks for sharing. We're happy to hear you had such a great experience.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

2 Photos for LegalZoom