Review of LegalZoom

Over 10 years helping millions of customers
Learn More

donaldc208
1/16/19

Kris, really awesome. Walk me through some things that I would having a lot of trouble with and made it really easy to understand. If you guys had an entire team of people like Kris you will be really special.

amandan101
1/7/19

Legalzoom did absolutely nothing to dissolve my non profit! In Michigan, you have to get approval from the attorney general and then file the dissolution with LARA. All of which I did on my own. Legalzoom said I needed to do that before they could move forward with the dissolution. I also started this process in September and In December I noticed my case was still not moving forward after several phone calls. It was discovered there was a glitch in their system holding up my case. I finally received the docs from Legalzoom saying the dissolution was complete but the docs they sent ARE THE DOCS I FILED WITH THE STATE!! When I asked for my money back they refused. I do not recommend this service to anyone and you can be sure I will tell everyone I know to never use them!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Amanda, it is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We'd like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com at your convenience.
thea17
1/4/19

LegalZoom has a great concept and what appears to be good customer service. However, it is my experience that my company will NEVER use their services again! First off, my company did our research to find an experienced company to fulfill our needs. In the beginning we chatted with a represented via computer and was treated as though our business was not wanted for the particular service. We brushed it off and went with a different company and decided to use LegalZoom for other needed services. As the transaction continued, we thought it would be a smooth and delightful transaction but was served a headache instead. We did everything that we could to be proactive. We checked on our account day in and day out to see if there was any hold ups and if we could provide assistance at moment's notice. We received an email saying that there was a delay in our order and so we called in and the rep advised us that he didn't know why the system gave us the email because there was nothing wrong with our order and we offered to provide him with extra information just in case LegalZoom may need it to process our order. Within 4 days our account continued to show no movement and Delays. So out of good faith we called in to check for an update and was told that they were having problems behind the scenes with our account. We asked why they did not communicate this to us as we were more than happy to help them resolve any concerns they had ran into. In addition to this, we informed them that the system was saying something totally different on our end. This led us to believe that they were providing their customers with false information about the movements of their (the customer's) accounts. They simply could not provide an answer and when asked to get to a supervisor the rep informed me that I would have to contact the supervisor via email after we had paid this company about $500. In short, we never got to a supervisor, instead we got hung up on 3 times and told that they were sorry about our experience when all we wanted was some affirmation that our business was getting taking care of. We trusted LegalZoom to handle our accounts for our business and in return we was left with a bitter taste in our mouths. We trusted LegalZoom to provide us with superior service especially when we forked out $500 to this company for the best package they had. Unfortunately, they were not able to deliver. So we canceled our order. To make matters worse the next rep we spoke to about cancelling our order informed us that they were having system issues and our cancellation confirmation and refund will be sent to us. Nevertheless, we gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited until the next day to see if they would deliver on their word. The next day came and no form of communication about the cancellation or refund was communicated to us. Again, we called to get some insight on the mishaps of the account just to get told that they do not know what we were talking about and the rep started to inform us of prior incidents on our account that had nothing to do with our order cancellation and told us that our refund was on the account in a form of a store credit! Mind you that this transaction took place recently and nothing had been processed. Again, we were hung up on 4 times after requesting to speak with the higher ups about our concern. After a little over an hour and a half we was refunded our money. To be honest with those who read thisBeware of this company for 8 reasons:
1. They do not value new clients businessyou are just another number.
2. Communication is not a value that they embody.
3. They seem to be very unorganized.
4. The frontline associates do not have a clue on how to help you. It doesn't seem like they are given much training to help you as a customer.
5. Their interest is not in the best interest of your business.
6. Upper management is not available for customers to talk with.
The next two points are simply facts. We took our business elsewhere and where able to get done what we were going to pay LegalZoom for 10 times less that what LegalZoom was charging us!
7. They are overpriced.
8. They are a headache to deal with.
We are happy to say that are business is with Northwest Registered Agents and they from beginning to the end were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and more importantly, DID NOT once pressure us into buying anything from them. They were simply there to offer us guidance and truly propel our business forward. We just want to be clear, before this incident we had no relationships with Northwest Registered Agents and are not getting paid to saying this. They were a great help and we felt like they genuinely cared for what we were trying to accomplish without all of the headache! What's more, they helped us without us paying them a dime for the services we were being charged from LegalZoom. This is our experience, our opinion and It is truly up to you to decide if LegalZoom is for you BUT for us we would NEVER give LegalZoom our business now or in the future.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi, we do our best to make sure every customer is happy with our service and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. Usually orders & any cancellation process goes more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. We'd like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please contact help@legalzoom.com & we'll be sure a manager reaches out to you directly.
lilym66
1/3/19

I hired Legal Zoom to be our registered agent. Our new renewal notice came, and I noticed they had nearly tripled the price from last year. I hired someone else for $99 (instead of $399 legalzoom was charging.) I notified them to cancel on Dec 11, 2018, they refused. I notified them again on Dec 27, they again refused. I notified them in writing on Jan 1. My renewal date is supposed to be January 3, but they charged me 6 days early so they could rip me off for $400 by refusing to cancel my service. I have filed a BBB complaint against them since changing the due date was done deliberately to steal money from a customer instead of allowing the customer to cancel. Do not do business with these theives under any circumstance.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Lily, we're so sorry about your experience. Our registered agent subscription fees have recently increased to include additional services that many of our customers find beneficial. Having our registered agent service is always optional and if a agent change has been made, we are more than happy to cancel your LegalZoom subscription. Please feel free to reach out to a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com with your account information so that we may resolve things right away.
danielh474
12/19/18

I have 3 accounts with LegalZoom that go back several years. Unfortunately my experience with thier current staff has been a ridiculous waste of time as the usual interface is dropped calls and over 30 minutes of hold time(and this after they call me). They are incapable of transferring an LLC to an authorized owner and will not consider amending this practice under any circumstances. The notice sent out (email) for SOI compliance is neither monitored or protected as a usable document...so a $250 fine is applicable from the state after 90 days. I'm not the first customer to voice this complaint and will not be the last. I can only surmise the front line employees are poorly trained and without recourse to a manager who gives a $&!#. This practice is usually the result of greed or ignorance...of which neither are good for the future.

sarahp353
11/30/18

My mother created a will using LegalZoom. She died over two months ago, at which time I requested her will from LegalZoom, and still, over 60 days later, have received no legitimate will. When she passed, I called and spoke with a LegalZoom representative and requested a copy of my mom's will be e-mailed to me. I was told that it would be no problem and was asked to e-mail my request and attach a copy of my driver's license and her death certificate. I followed the instructions of this represntative and did as he requested, sending a copy of my personal driver's license and my mother's death certificate. I received a response that, upon review of the document, I was not named the executor of the will and that only that person could request the will. So, knowing that my mother had named her brother as executor, I asked that he request the will and send a copy of his driver's license and my mother's death certificate. After the initial request for a will at the end of September, now, the end of November, he has finally received an unsigned, undated will, with the representative stating that they "have no access to the signed document." What does that mean? Is there a signed document? And if so, who does have access to it? Any legal adviser would know that an unsigned will might as well be a piece of toilet paper. It has no legal legitimacy in any probate court. And this is after routinely waiting 2-3 weeks for responses to email requests, and after being told "2-3 days" several times on the phone over a nearly eight-week timespan. When my uncle complained to LegalZoom that they were not responding and not helping, they said that they had to review the document to make sure he was the executor. And then again a later excuse that it was very important for them to verify who they were sending the document to. It took them one day to determine that I was not named the executor, but weeks to confirm that my uncle was in fact named executor of the will. And to send him an unsigned and undated version. Thanks for making this process as absolutely painful and difficult as possible. Because it has almost been three months since my mother passed and we have not been able to access her will or even determine for certain that she had one, my sisters and I (all ages 21-30) are having to go through the process of having to appoint me the administratrix of my mom's estate, while we pay all of her expenses out-of-pocket. I have consulted a lawyer for legal advise, and if a will does eventually turn up somewhere, my sisters and I have to start the whole process over again. Thanks a lot, LegalZoom! Oh, and not to mention that this illegitimate business has a copy of my driver's license and all of the sensitive information in my mom's death certificate... and for what? I would understand needing that info to provide someone's will. But I don't understand requesting all of this personal info then sitting on it while not completing requests. What are you really in business for?

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Sarah, we are very sorry for your loss and the experience you've had. Please be advised that once LegalZoom creates the document, it's provided directly to the customer for execution (signing) and storage. We typically recommend that a copy is given to the executor to safe keeping as well. If you mother had the legal advantage plan, she may have also used the estate planning app to upload a copy into her cloud storage. We are happy to help in any way we can. Please feel free to reach out to a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
fahdt
11/20/18

Great experience with Kara , she helped with many questions i had in mind
and provided me with a lots information !

allysonb12
11/20/18

I had a very frustrating experience with my copyright applications. I had to spend 4 weeks calling legalzoom and still getting voicemails stating my copyright applications had problems and could not be processed, after being assured every time over the phone that everything was corrected. Should have done it myself for less money and stress.

lisas961
11/19/18

I had LOTS of questions on setting up my S-corp and Kara was incredible. I feel as if she saved my days of research!

miriamf13
11/15/18

I had a question regarding setting up an LLC with an effective date. I had tried finding whether my state allowed an effective date and couldn't find clear information. Mackenzie was very helpful and asked all the questions she needed to get a clear picture of where I was in the process.

kennetha81
11/14/18

They placed their email in my state filing instead of mine. Notices for state annual renewals were sent via email to them not me. I had to re-instate the business with the state at a cost of $750. They refused to admit their error and blamed me. Sad customer service. AVOID!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We couldn’t be more apologetic about your experience with LegalZoom. When we make a mistake we want to fix it. In reviewing your account, it appears LegalZoom is not listed your registered agent and you do not have a compliance subscription. Any correspondence from the state would be sent directly to the registered agent’s physical address. We apologize for any misunderstanding and we’re happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com for further assistance.
heavens1
10/29/18

I was having a hard time understanding the payment option details so I went to the live chat and Mackenzie helped me out so much. I know more now than I originally wanted to ask about.

johnm2430
10/12/18

I had the pleasure of working with Jason Garcia from LegalZoom who was very attentive to my needs when navigating through my business profile. He was extremely responsive and a pleasure to work with.

michaelu44
10/7/18

I signed up to get an LLC package and opted for a payment plan of $136 a month over a 3 month period of time. I was charged a separate charge of $249 that I did not authorize! I made several calls and sent several emails with not response or help. I did how ever talk too 2 different people and was explained that it was a regeistered agent fee. One that's not included in the payment plan that I agreed to and authorized! Now I was also told that $100 of the was for a business license fee from their sister company. When I called them they told me it would cost $299 extra to get the license. All they told me wa go to the tax collectors office and get it there. I was charged $100 for some stupid advice that didn't do a thing to help as everyone knows that's where you have to go! I told them I don't want that service and wanted to be refunded for the charge. I also explained the basic registered agent fee would be fine but not the other stuff and I was told I had to contact the state about it! I want my money refunded for the crap charges the fraudulently made to my account and did not authorize! I filed a complaint with the better business and I'm going to file a complaint with my bank and I'm going to contact the sheriffs department and report them for making fraudulent charges as well if they do not fix what they did! I clearly agreed to the 3 payments not the $249 2 days after the first payment was made! Ya and I never got my company seal as it was included in the package that I am paying for!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Michael, our registered agent service is only an option to our business customers. The website explains it's yearly subscription that begins the moment the company is confirmed as filed with the state and not included in your initial single payment or three pay installment selection. Reason being is because this service does not officially begin until your business entity is active. The yearly fee is outlined in our online questionnaire, the itemized breakdown of charges provided prior to payment, the order confirmation receipt and the welcome letter included in your package. We're very sorry for any misunderstanding & we are more than happy to help you in resolving this matter. We've reached out to you directly but please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
dennism336
10/2/18

I've engaged Legal Zoom in many occasions. Always on time and well within budget. Highly competent professional and knowledgeable staff.

robertal34
9/29/18

This company is a scam they took money out of my account without your permission. The manager is Alex he is a liar. He took money out of my account twice. Sept 2017 and when i called to complain. The first time she said that it was for extra services. I said I did not want so she put the money back into my account. There was no outstanding bill. Sept 2018 they took out $132.99 and said I still owed them this money and it was a computer glich and they did not receive the final payment which made the total amount $500.00 for some papers they typed. There is nothing Legal about this company. My bank has put a complaint in for fraud. They have kept my banking info for two years and the bank said that it was illegal to keep a customer account that long. They never gave me any statement letter or phone call. They lie in wait to rob your bank account. I am also filing a complaint with the IRS regarding there procedures and have them audited. Please do not trust this company

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Roberta, it's important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Please contact a manager who can help directly via help@legalzoom.com.
hannys2
9/19/18

Frustrating services and bad quality,It is absolutely fraud. pathetic customer service.It needs to be shut down.Beware anyone who uses this, They are dealing in fraudulent practices.no follow ups to see how is the product is working if I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship. Stay away!I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're sorry to hear you weren't happy with your experience and we would like to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com & we’ll try our best to resolve things. We look forward to making your experience a better one.
zincs
9/14/18

Shame on you, Poor service and a rip-off! I'm disappointed with their customer service.I am happy or unhappy truly sad customer relationship.They are dealing in fraudulent practices, shameful services.

skennisc
9/11/18

I didn't receive any response for more than weeks for which i had to shift on some other services. It is absolutely fraud, never refer to anyone for this, bad customer service , money and time wasting site really bad service not going to recommend to anyone, frustrating services and bad quality.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We try to do our best to make sure every customer is happy and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. We’d like to learn more about your concerns and try to turn things around for the better. Please contact a manager via help@legalzoom.com & we’ll reach out to you right away.
qazaj
9/6/18

Beware of Companies Posing isn't there a law against this Don't call them.Poor service and a rip-off! I'm disappointed with their customer service.Fast response is what they promise but i am shocked to see their bad service. I have been scammed by this company.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Qaza, we're sorry to hear you feel you've been scammed & haven't received the best service. We'd like to investigate this further & provide a resolution. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
stephens401
8/15/18

The Operating Agreement that Legal Zoom created was a total of 15 pages and the last two pages were Exhibit's A and B with literally no documentation. It was created in July and I needed to make some adjustments. Of course, I needed to go through one of their contracted companies and in this case it was Dunlap Bennett & Ludwig. Documentation shows that they up charge customers a $39 fee to review documents over 10 pages. Under 10 pages are free. The next break it 11-15 is $39 and more than that is $99. My Legal Zoom document has 15 pages. I was okay with the extra $39, but then Dunlap and Bennett said that their fonts change the document to 17 pages and that they will need to charge me the $99 fee. I told them that I would just rather cancel the service altogether and work with a real attorney. I also cancelled my request to trademark a logo at the price of $815 as well. I need to get this done, but I still think that a local attorney would have that done for me at the same price point if not lower. Thoughts?

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Stephen, we're sorry about what occurred with your attorney consultation and with your customer service experience. Usually the attorney consultations & subscription cancellation process goes more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact us via help@legalzoom.com.
rozzir
8/15/18

Very poor management, never refer to anyone for this. Don't call them. It is absolutely scam; I had a very frustrating experience with this company. The website was very late in replying me. Absolutely pathetic customer service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Rozzi, we are very sorry you haven't had the best experience thus far and we would really like to change this around for the better. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com. We assure you will receive a timely response.
danielg355
7/31/18

The most skilled employees are the slick salesmen, not the lawyers. They bait-and-switch to sell you the most expensive products, offer little justifications other than "this is required by fed/state law". "Registered Agent" is perfect example of hooking you into recurring payments. They set themselves up with the state to receive correspondence on your business. If you want to cancel the recurring charge, you have to file the revised paperwork with the state, and they won't help you, saying, "we're not familiar with the laws in all 50 states". When forced to explain legal terms, they are condescending, and stingy with information. Their Website advertises "Setup your business in 7 to 10 days" It actually took 6 weeks, because they misfiled papers, failed to contact us when papers were approved, and blamed it on delays in the state/fed government.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Daniel, we're sorry about this experience and we want to help resolve things. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
franks367
7/23/18

Worst experience ever!!! They will sit on your documents, say there are delays with your govt agencies, and give you any excuse to make you think it is not their poor service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Frank, we'd really like to review your account & try to make things right. Please feel free to contact a manager about your concerns directly via help@legalzoom.com.
jacobs216
6/28/18

Don't call them. It is absolutely scam, I had a very frustrating experience with this non-responsive company that seems to do nothing but be intent on ruining reputations.bad experience, no customer service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
It is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. We would definitely like to research the full details of your account & make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

2 Photos for LegalZoom