Review of LegalZoom

Over 10 years helping millions of customers
Learn More

tiffanyp45
10/9/17

I'm not even sure how this company is even in business still. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. Scammers, 100%.

My fiancé tried to set up a PLLC with them...for 3 months. For 3 months they kept failing to turn the correct documents in and he was calling them every single day to try and sort things out. About 2 months in he was told his PLLC was kicked back because they forgot about a document he needed, which he was required to send to TX (we live in NC). It seemed like every single time something was kicked back he needed to give them more info or another document - they had no idea what they were doing!

The last straw was today when he found out documents that were supposed to be mailed to the Secretary of State last week (he has been waiting for confirmation) were NEVER MAILED in the first place. Best part is when he asked for his money back to go through an actual lawyer he was refunded only a portion of what he paid them.

Unacceptable. Don't waste your money or time. Get real consultation from an actual lawyer...do not get scammed like we did!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Tiffany, we're sorry about what occurred with your PLLC order and with your customer service experience. Usually orders go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We will review your order details & follow up with you directly. Please also feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
andrews304
10/2/17

Julia was very nice, patient, helpful, and knowledgeable. I hope the rest of Legal Zoom goes as smoothly

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Andrew, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. We will do everything possible to make sure your smooth experience is continued.
miguelo16
9/26/17

Signed up and fully paid for a Standard Divorce package with LegalZoom while ago and began filling my documents. Because life circumstances a held the process for a few years and then decided to retake on the case. I logged in and realized the divorce cases where now handled by a third party, I called this company and they said I was not in their system and that I needed to buy a new package, which I found opportunist. So I called LegalZoom back and they bluntly told me that because years has passed they were not refunding me anything. They claimed to had sent an email back in June-July about this change. I went ahead and check all of my inbox and junk mail from that period with no trace of any LegalZoom correspondence. So they just robbed me...

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Miguel, we're sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience with LegalZoom. We want to make it right. We will review your order details & reach out to you directly. Please feel free to also contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
bobb1369
9/23/17

Every 6 months that I go to renew my 6 month real estate lease renewal package the website does not allow me. Then after spending an hour on the phone with a supervisor they tell me it can't be done. Then I tell them to look at my history and tell me how it has been done every 6 months then for the past 3 years. They go...oohh, maybe you are right. An hour or so later they figure it out. They waste more time in labor than what they collect from me. So frustrating as my time is worth more than I am paying for this stupid service.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Bob, we’re sorry to hear your situation wasn’t properly addressed in your first communication with LegalZoom. Your comments and experience are truly valuable to us and we appreciate your feedback. We’re really interested in knowing what kind of resolution you’d like to see and are willing to do anything we can to improve your experience with LegalZoom. Please contact help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing how we can make this situation better.
hyrums6
9/21/17

Nothing is ever perfect but these guys are informative and help you through any hiccups and they were patient with me since I am new to this.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Hyrum, thanks so much for your kind words. We're happy we could help!
lizf30
9/17/17

I wanted a simple DBA and it took almost 2 months to complete via LegalZoom because of all the little mistakes they kept making. And at approx $250 for this service, I was, at the least, expecting excellent, thorough service. I had to keep on top of them every other day just to make sure the administrative stuff was being done, which was stressful and annoying. Also, they weren't very informative up front--only when I submitted my DBA name was I told (a week later) that they recommend choosing a name that can't be mistaken for a proper name. So, I chose a different name. Then discovered (another week later) that they forgot to close out my first order, so now I had double paperwork and was set back a week because they hadn't submitted my second DBA name to the gov. And when I finally got the certificate to sign (a few weeks later), I found out that I needed a notary. Fine, so I went to Citibank to have a notary witness, etc, and guess what I found out? Citibank offers DBA's for FREE! Even if you're not an account holder! (smack forehead) So....my recommendation is, save your money, go to Citibank (or just go to your local council) and get your DBA that way. MUCH easier and MUCH faster (and much less confusion and frustration). Extremely unlikely that I'll ever use LegalZoom again.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Liz, we're so sorry about your experience with LegalZoom. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer, and it seems we fell short of that goal in this situation. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com and let us know if there is anything we can do to make things right.
jilla33
9/12/17

My experience was NEGATIVE. I filled out the form with the required information and ordered a will and the printing. When I got the will and read it through, one of the paragraphs did not apply to my circumstances. It was not contemplated in the form I filled out beforehand. I asked for it to be changed and they would only send me am email copy of the corrected will. I lost the money for the printing on special paper and the shipping. They should have sent me the will and asked me to read it through before sending me the printed version. Time and bother would have been saved.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Jill, it is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We’d like an opportunity to try to turn this experience around. If you’re interested in discussing this further, please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
rickn27
9/11/17

Sony was AMAZING. He was so patient and EXTREMELY knowledgeable.
The entire process to start my LLC was fantastic. Through each step of the process, Sony was there to answer my questions with incredible detail. He also suggested how to expedite everything. Originally, I was only going to get the basic package. After working with Sony and his expertise, I moved up to the Gold Package. Please thank Sony for me. I true company asset.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Rick, thanks so much for sharing your experience. We'll be sure to let Sony know of your kind words.
terib19
8/31/17

Great service. I had them do a living trust for me. Putting your house in the trust is a separate price. Often trust attorneys don't tell you that so you still have to go through the probate process. Legal Zoom did not forget to ask me and they were up front about the additional cost. I will have my successor trustee let you know if this trust is acceptable by the courts.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Teri, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
donaldb96
8/30/17

This was the most difficult process on starting an LLC. They had a bunch of hidden fee's and once they get your credit card you better watch out because they keep charging on it. The customer service is horrible. You pay to have everything done they and then you call and they say you have to call the IRS and other entities that they were suppose to do. This process has been horrible.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Donald, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We'd like to learn more about your situation. Please kindly submit your contact information to help@legalzoom.com and we will review your order history. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.
richardt130
8/29/17

I wanted to cancel an order that I had paid for several hours earlier. Called them and explained my situation and was told no problem--they cheerfully refunded my order.
I absolutely would use again.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Richard, thanks for sharing your experience. We're here when you need us!
susanb309
8/29/17

If you've got to get a customer sales rep, John M. is knowledgeable, quick to respond and patient. Yay John! And thank you...

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Susan, thanks for sharing. We'll be sure to let John know of your kind words!
evann103
8/23/17

This company has been awful at literally every step! They have overcharged me on numerous occasions. All calls require at least an hour of your time and shuffling from one department to the next. They even charged a cancelled card (I canceled with B of A almost a year earlier) and they found a way to reopen my closed credit card and make charges to it due to phantom recurring fees that I expressly opted out of! Awful, awful, awful! I turned to a real accountant and lawyer for my current services and realized that Legalzoom overcharged, overcomplicates. And preys on entrepreneurs at their most vulnerable time (startup)!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Evan, it is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and we’d like an opportunity to try to make things right. Please contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
sih20
8/23/17

I had a simple straight forward question on signing a trademark. I thought the lady on the phone was very rude and condescending. If you ask me, that's probably the worst tone for a customer service agent to have. I would give zero star if this review was strictly for customer service that I just experienced.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We would like to extend our sincerest apology in regards to your recent experience with LegalZoom; our customers are very important to us & you deserve better. We’d like to learn more about your experience & try to make things better. Please feel free to contact a manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.
lucas580
8/15/17

Amazing customer service. Super helpful. Super Clear. Super smart. I would imagine legal zoom would have a 5 star rating all around if all of their reps were all like saul. Give the man a bonus!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Luca, thank you very much for sharing your experience. We work really hard to make sure our customers are satisfied with our service.
carolm40
8/14/17

All we wanted was to trade mark our business name and the website quotes $69.00. What you don't know until they run your card is that the $69.00 is only for the search to be sure the name is not already in use. We entered all or our information, clicked confirm and boom, they charged our card $474.00. They are super fast about charging you but if you have an issue, good luck getting a response. I went straight to my cc company and disputed the charge. This whole experience really had a bait and switch feel too it. They really need to be clearer about the charges prior to charging your.card LegalZoom, we won't be back.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Carol, our website does not have a quoted price of $69.00 for any Trademark services. Our trademark registration package is advertised on our website as starting at $199 + federal filing fees prior to any request for information. Our trademark search packages are also advertised as $199. We fear you may have reviewed a site other than LegalZoom and we apologize for any misunderstanding. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact help@legalzoom.com.
amyt97
8/7/17

Juli was fantastic and by far my favorite rep that has helped me over the phone. She gave me clear direction that helped tremendously.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Amy, we're so happy to hear of your awesome experience. Thanks so much for sharing!
elenam51
8/5/17

Used their service to open business (LLC). It was fast but expensive. Also they signed us up for all kinds of "free trial" services, and then started billing us $40 a month once the free trial, without notice, ended. Shifty practices. Be vigilant if you use them!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Elena, thanks for taking the time to explain your experience. We're sorry that you didn't have a great one and we appreciate your feedback. Talking to unhappy customers helps us do a better job in the future. Please feel free to contact help@legalzoom.com at any time. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to make your experience with LegalZoom a better one.
daniels317
8/2/17

we have requested documents about our company which were formed by LZ, very happy to receive a reply so fast with exact documents we needed.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Daniel, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
surendrap2
7/31/17

they are charging my credit card without my knowledge or any service.i have took service once butafter then they charged my card twice and i am disputing that charge. do not give them your credit card information.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
We're sorry to hear that you were being charged for a service that you were unaware of. If it's something that you specified you didn't want to participate in, you definitely shouldn't have been enrolled, and that's our mistake. Contact a manager for immediate resolution via help@legalzoom.com.
nicolek55
7/28/17

I found it their lawyer team is great. However, for their customer representative team, it depends on your luck. I would say 50% of the time, you got a very nice and knowledgable one. Another 50% don't know what they are doing and won't try to help. I would pay if you want a good advice from their attorney. If you want some answers about all the documents and other things. You probably have to call two or three times to make sure you go the right answer. The customer representative claims that there is no way for them to call us back if the line is dropped. So, it is a good excuse for them to hang up on you if they don't want to speak with you anymore.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Nicole, we're very sorry to hear about your customer service experience; you deserve the best each time you communicate with us. Your comments and experience are important to us and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to contact a manager any time directly via help@legalzoom.com.
sarahh264
7/28/17

Any time you need legal advice or have questions, it is extremely nerve wracking. To know that Legal Zoom is always behind me truly sets my mind at ease. Matthew Moore was able to help me quickly and efficiently! Without him and Legal Zoom, I don't know where I'd be. Thank you so much, Matthew and Legal Zoom! You are truly a phenomenal organization!

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Thanks for sharing your amazing experience Sarah. We really appreciate your kind words & we'll make sure Matthew knows just how much he helped!
jefferyb26
7/20/17

These stupid people have put 3 holds on my Will. Each time they tell me a different reason why. Cant they condense these issues into 1 hold??? Makes zero sense. I regret giving them any of my money and really wish I went elsewhere. BUYER BEWARE

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Jeffery, we're disappointed to hear you’ve had a less than satisfying experience with us, and we want to have an opportunity to make things right. We’re really interested in knowing what kind of resolution you’d like to see and are willing to do anything we can to improve your experience with LegalZoom. Please contact help@legalzoom.com. We look forward to hearing how we can make this situation better.
patiencel
7/19/17

I have been trying to use these guys as a registered agent in Nevada since May and it's been a pain in the butt. They see I have a registered agent in another state and apparently that is very confusing. I submitted paperwork for Nevada and Nevada only... IN MAY!!! Why are we still talking about this going into August.

This should be simple and I'm about to go crazy, I don't have time for this. It's a bunch of very nice people that don't know what the hell they are doing. Get away and save your precious time.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Patience, we're sorry about your experience. Usually things go more smoothly and we apologize that you experienced us at less than our best. It is very important to us that our customers are happy with the products and services we offer. We want you to be satisfied and I'd like to assist you in finding a resolution. Please feel free to contact me directly at help@legalzoom.com.
baljits1
7/13/17

Any other company would be better than legalzoom. I was tricked into signing up for the registered agent service and was charged without them telling me how much it would cost. Then I paid extra for rush delivery for a document that I received 2 weeks earlier by email. The customer service rep was rude and unhelpful. Never using them again. It cost me a total of over $1300, I would've paid less if I got it done with a lawyer.

Response from LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Hi Baljit, it is very important to us to try and correct the situation when a customer feels there has been a misunderstanding or an error in the service and/or product at LegalZoom. Our registered agent service is offered only as an option to our business customers. The online questionnaire offers our service but also allows you to name another (including yourself). The website explains the service is a yearly subscription that begins the moment the company is confirmed as filed with the state. The yearly fee is outlined in our online questionnaire, our pricing page as well as the itemized breakdown of charges provided to every customer prior to any payment request. We are very sorry for any misunderstanding and we are more than happy to help you in resolving this matter. If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com.

Hi Carol, we also offer legal plans where you can speak directly with an Attorney that can help with any advice or legal questions about your trust. Contact us directly at 1-866-738-2980. We are happy to help get you started.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Jason, we are happy to assist you and talk about our LLC packages & process anytime. Feel free to email us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Analisa, we are here to help and happy to answer any questions or concerns. Feel free to contact me directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

It is very important to us to try and improve the situation when there has been a misunderstanding or dissatisfaction with our service. We are constantly striving to ensure the satisfaction of each customer & we are willing to review any concerns for resolution. Please feel free to reach out to the social media manager directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Susan, we are happy to answer any questions or concerns about our product & process. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Today is July 20. 8am. I called Legal Zoom's phone support 800 773 0888 AGAIN. I got the same automated response that their agents are busy. I waited for several minutes. Nada. Left my return call number. lets see if they will call back. Really? at 8 am and everybody is busy to take a call. I understand they start the help line at 5 am. Still, they do not return calls. Since a Legal Zoom staffer monitors these pages, I might as well ask my question here: I recently filed an application for incorporation in CA. I got the paperwork from the Sec of State. It says its been filed. The information at the Sec of State website says my Corp is active. I understand I am to pay the State an $800 registration fee. When am I suppose to pay this. Nobody's billing me yet. I agree w Stan L. LZ is a great idea but poor executed.

By G A.

Hi Philip, we are happy to discuss our packages & pricing anytime. Please feel free to contact us directly via help@legalzoom.com.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Andres, yes we can assist you with both dissolving your current LLC and the filing of your new LLC. Please feel free to email help@legalzoom.com with any questions or concerns, thanks.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Adam, it is LegalZoom's goal to provide its valued customers with exceptional service during every interaction. All comments and experiences are important to us; we appreciate and welcome feedback. We have many satisfied customers and we are very happy to answer any questions or concerns. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-733-0888.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative

Hi Carol, we can absolutely help you with setting up a living trust. Our packages start at $249.00 or you may benefit even more with an estate plan bundle. Call us at 1-866-738-2980 for more information.

By LegalZoom S., LegalZoom Representative
Questions? Get answers from the LegalZoom staff and other customers.

2 Photos for LegalZoom