Review of Hoveround

Sarasota, FL 34232, US
Tel: 1-800-542-7236

richardg238
12/3/17

Hav found chair to be fairly dependable. Batteries last about a year. Go to battery store and get Delco or similar. They will warranty for at least a year. There is really not much to these chairs. 2 batteries, 2 drive motors, controller and frame/seat. Have had some luck sourcing parts on Craigslist or eBay. Lot less expensive than list. Like any vehicle they need maintenance and cleaning. Latest issue is flashing controller lights indicating limit switch on drive motor not making when in drive position. Wiring diagrams are nonexistent but will figure out which wires go to limit switch in motor and probably jumper out. Overall have been satisfied with product but company sounds more like a Medicare scam.

marthat25
11/15/17

We were rear ended the middle of August and my power chair and lift recieved all the damage. It took a month to get the money to repair them from insurance. I had to pay $150 for the tech to come out and give the insurance company an estimate on repairs. I ordered the parts over 2 months ago and have been told twice a part is on backorder for the lift. Twice I have been told that ALL the parts had been sent to the tech. They called 3 weeks ago and scheduled a service call and I asked if he had all of the parts and was told he did for the chair and the lift. This morning he calls before he comes and says he doesn't have the parts for the lift! I am so upset with this company!

robertar22
11/14/17

If i could give them less than a one star I would.I purchased at full price a hoveround for my 88 year old mother. Purchased March 3 2017- 2 batteries and now the arm control. Each time a service rep goes out $140. New arm control installed 4 days later chair not working. I also asked at the last service call to have the speed locked on low both forward and backward, only backwards was done. the condescending call rep just kept telling me the service reps don't go out for free, that's it over and over no solution to the problem that the chair isn't working. I asked to speak to someone else and put me on eternal hold. ARGHHHHHHH.

ktk2
11/3/17

I've been trying to get service for a client's wheelchair for the past four months. I had to report the company to the Better Business Bureau...their response to the Better Business Bureau was a blatant lie...stating that they had fixed the chair and quoted the client stating "it worked great". (I had just talked to the client that morning and he has been stuck in his room for the past three weeks because the chair died and they haven't sent a technician out yet....he has to eat in his room, hobble at fall risk to the bathroom, can not socialize, or seek the mental health treatments he needs for suicidal depression, has missed multiple doctors appointments etc.). If you are going to be a company that sells wheelchairs...inherently those who need wheelchairs are a vulnerable population...have some damn ethics and compassion. Completely horrified that this is happening. Each time I call I'm on hold for over an hour before speaking to someone and nothing gets resolved. I spoke to the resolutions department, the HR department, technicians etc. Everyone had a different story. I cant believe how atrocious this is!!!! If you can DO NOT USE HOVEROUND as a provider...if there were negative stars i would put them.

rosea134
10/18/17

I have been waiting for almost 6 weeks for our chair to be fixed. The motor died and I have been waiting and waiting. Worse service ever!

duanew10
10/17/17

They will tell you anything upfront such as you can get a chair at no cost to you if you are on medicare! You tell them first thing you have no money to pay for a chair!! They have you go to a Dr. to have him fill out lots of forms telling why you need a chair! They call and say you are approved for a chair and again I tell them i have no money! They tell me it says I will owe Zero! They send a man out to check out our house to see if a power chair will work even though we have had a Jazzy for 7 years! He looks at our chair and says the seat is shot! wheels are shot, batteries are shot! The Jazzy looks in new condition but he says if he dont put that down we wont get a new chair because medicare will just say to fix the old one! So hoveround has to lie to medicare to get us anew chair! Then they call and tell you your chair can be delivered and you first payments will be like $130 for like 2 months then like $80 for more months and then $30 some for more months! This is where I said JUST FORGET IT! WHY DID I EVER GET INVOLVED? BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME UPFRONT THEY COULD GET US A NEW CHAIR FREE OF CHARGE! MY ADVICE STAY AWAY AND LOOK ELSEWARE!

paulh307
10/4/17

My dad is 92 years old. He has had his chair almost a year. He has had to replace the batteries three times in a year and the charger twice. They don't tell you that the batteries need to be replaced multiple times a year. In fact, they told us he could use his chair up to twelve miles a day! His trips to the bathroom, kitchen, and back to the bedroom are probably not even a quarter of a mile, but apparently even that wore the batteries out. The first time, his batteries were under warranty but the second time they would not replace because they had replaced them once. Now we are needing a new charger and our warranty will be out in 5 days, but they are refusing to replace it until we 'prove' that it is not the batteries by buying and installing new batteries. Service suggested that I take the chair down to an automotive shop and get the batteries tested. How is a 92 year old and his 90 pound daughter going to get that chair into the car to be tested by an automotive shop? And the batteries will take a few weeks to arrive, at a cost between $200 and $300 including shipping. The service techs on the phone have been rude and unhelpful. Overall, it is disappointing.

emanuelm26
9/30/17

I used to be a spokesman for my Hoveround chair. I even tried convincing 2 people to buy a Hoveround. Now my views have changed due to a service problem. My batteries needed replacement a month ago and I am still waiting. First it was blamed on the storm in Florida (I understood) then my order was sent to another person in a different state. After calling 4 times, each time waiting a least 30 minutes to get through, I was told they ran out of parts for the chair. I pleaded with them to send just the batteries so I could at least use the chair. They told me they could not split the order so now in the fifth week I am still waiting. There was no attempt to try to help me despite my handicapped status. If I ever need a new chair I will definitely consider a new company.

irenes60
9/24/17

My mother purchased a Hoveround chair. It was the biggest mistake we ever made. She had a Jazzy chair for 7 years and had one of their repairman come to fix the joystick because of a recall on it. While he was there he replaced her batteries. That was the only service she needed in 7 years. Once the Jazzy chair was worn out my mother wanted to try a Hoveround chair after being contacted by them saying she was due for a new chair. We had our hoveround chair for 3 years. After the first year we had to have repair work done on it. We called the end of July 2015 and the repairman came September 1, 2015. He fixed the chair and left. The chair broke down 2 hours after he left, leaving her stranded in the yard by herself. The repairman did not come back until September 1, 2015. He stated that the replacement motors were defective.Two years later the chair broke down again. I called June 19 2017 to order the repair. After several weeks the repairman showed up July 26, 2017, to fix the chair. He soon realized there were far more problems with the chair then what the work order stated. The work order was made based on a phone call asking us what was wrong with the chair. I told the woman on the phone that the chair's joystick cap kept popping off. The chair was making grinding noises, shaking and not turning properly. Even though he had all the parts with him he could not fix the chair without preapproval from the insurance. August 2, 2017 the company called for our 20% at $565.00 worth repairs!! I was told we would get a phone call within 48 hours to set up a service call. On August 10, 2017 I called the company to see what was going on with the repair. The company said they were waiting for a warehouse delivery of batteries and then they would ship the batteries to the repairman and then the service department would call to set up a service date. At this point my mother has had no mobility for 7 weeks and that we had one to two more weeks before the chair could be fixed! I called the corporate office to be connected to the company's complaint department and also wanted the legal department. The gentleman on the phone tried to help me instead of connecting me to the complaint department. That is when I realized this company does not have a complaint department! At that point I cancelled the repair order and my brother, who was so upset, went out and bought her a new chair out of pocket. After looking at the paperwork I realized that if we went ahead and had hoveround fix the chair for the 2nd time that the insurance company would have paid more for the repairs of the chair then what they originally paid to purchase the chair. Between the purchase and 2 repairs the insurance would had invested over $7,000.00 into a chair that was only 3 years old. This is how Hoveround makes their money, by charging high prices for cheap parts that are guaranteed to break down frequently. I wrote a letter to place a complaint to the Attorney General and also sent a copy of my letter to 20/20 and NBC. Please take a moment and do the same. This company needs to be held accountable. My question to all who read this, how would you feel if you had a car and the mechanic took at least 6 weeks before he could fix your car leaving you with no mobility for that amount of time. Why is it OK for those with disabilities and our elderly be treated like this! Who is protecting their rights! Shame on Hoveround!!

kenc89
7/31/17

Chair is falling apart in 2 years. We think we were given a used chair, for a new one. When we checked the batteries after 3 months, one was disconnected. The controls have gone bad, and a motor is going out. No help from the company. Go elsewhere.

bobm239
7/31/17

My father purchased a hover round in 2016. The chair is supposed to be warranted for a year but as we found out after waiting on hold for an hour this does not include the battery. This is on top of the questionable practice of leading him to believe that the chair would be covered by Medicare when it was not.

cindyp81
7/26/17

I have been trying to get a replacement Hoveround with a recliner seat from this company for 7 months now. After at least 25 phone calls within this time, I am told they are finally ready to ship and told me how much we have to pay out of pocket which we agreed to. Now I find out after all this that the seat they ordered does not have a reclining back which is what my dad needs, so we have to go back to square 1. The company is great about just transferring you to another department or leaving you on hold or cutting you off. Their IVR always says they have extreme call volume so to call back later in the week, even if you call on a Friday. I would say look anywhere else, but not with this company to get a chair.

marlar1
7/7/17

I got my chair in 2006. I need sercice on the chair and it has been 4 months now!!! I cannot go from the bedroom to the kitchen without it dying!! They get a 1 because 0 is not an option!!!!!!

patricab
6/30/17

5 months 4 sets of defective batteries china made 1 set motors wiring harness same problem within 3 weeks cant make it to the mailbox and back called co rep said made in usa repairman says made in china that's whats labled on batteries good service defective product first hoveround no complaint you cant cure china crap

samueld30
5/27/17

My Hoveround started acting the first day I got it. And when you call for a repair man .You never get one. I had to get set of battery s 3 times in a year. And had to replace the wheels 2 times with in a year. And you had to change the wheels your self the repairman are not responsible for changing tires or batterys so I had to pay someone to do those things. And had to replace joy stick controller and this was in the 1st year. And when you call to get parts they treat you like you don't know what you are talking about. For every parts you need they got to get the doctor approval. And that takes a week to get the paper work. And you can't do anything because your stranded at home because your waiting on parts.

markc292
5/18/17

Junk company,another company that screw over the medicare system,anything for a buck!chair sucks ,no adjustable seats unless you pay extra,freaking retards think people with bad backs can sit on this uncomfortable chair all day wrong

johnr468
5/5/17

Worst service ever. 30 minute hold them hangs up on me. 30 more minutes. Then tells a Parylyzed person to Chang a battery

andreas369
4/15/17

How come your batteries never last anymore. My wife first got your chair in 2005 and it lasted very well for 7 years. Then she received your new chair mpv5 and the batteries are absolute junk. They never last they have had to be replaced 3 times which takes you weeks to come out and replace. I am going to use our FSA to buy a brand new chair from someone NOT hoveround. Also I promise I am not the only customer you will lose. It's just a given with shoddy materials and awful customer service. I complained and asked about the batteries not lasting and the man on the phone just replied in a non empathic way that batteries sometimes are bad. Yeah several times. You lost us. Thanks for the time we had but now I must dump you.

marilynt25
3/30/17

When my husband went from strait medicare to Humana, Hoveround refused to send Humana the paperwork which they had from the doctor which they submitted to get the chair approved to begin with. I called and asked them to do this every week for months. Finally, Humana denied the claim for the rest of the chair because Hoveround would not provide them with the paperwork. We were told we had to make the rest of what was owed (over $1200) in three payments or they were coming out to take back the chair. I was able to borrow the money for 2 months of it. We are on the final month, there is approximately $500 owed and we cannot pay it. They are now going to take back the chair from a totally disabled man that cannot walk at all. Now he will have to crawl on the floor to even go to the toilet.

brandym21
3/20/17

This place absolutely sucks....Do not buy from them, I'd rather crawl everywhere then sit in one of their chairs ever again..Wish I didn't have to give one star

jacklynk
2/27/17

I've had my Hoveround for 3-1/2 yrs. Original batteries lasted 3 yrs. Bought new batteries from Hoveround & technician came out & installed. Batteries went out in 3 months & then Hoveround sent replacement batteries as the batteries are warranted for 6 months. These replacement batteries went out after 2 months & then Hoveround said they only warrant batteries 1 time & after 1st time of sending replacement batteries for a bad set THEY sent, the replacement batteries are not warranted at all. So for 3rd batteries I bought from Amazon - 1/2 price, no shipping cost & 1 yrs warranty. However these still won't hold charge & my son took apart Hoveround & found 1 rear tire had worn out inside & "might" be causing enough drag to cause batteries to discharge when using. Bought new tire on Amazon for 1/2 what Hoveround charges, but didn't help as I still have to charge it every time I use it, after about 10 minutes run time. Very comfortable chair, but their service is almost nonexistent & I would not buy another one. Had to pay entire cost of chair myself as they said Medicare wouldn't cover even tho dr. & 2 different P.T. said I needed it. For it to last only 3-1/2 yrs for what I pd for it is highway robbery. When Sr. home I live in said I needed tie downs, I called Hoveround & they did put metal rods on chair underneath the seat for tie down & much better than cloth tie downs, but had to pay labor & cost of metal tie down rods. These should be on chair before they ever deliver it originally. Still don't know why batteries keep having to be recharged after 10 min of use & don't believe Hoveround will help.

julieb191
2/10/17

My mom has had her power hoveround wheelchair for approximately 2 years now. After 1 year, already had to have a new battery. Now another year later (2 years of owning chair), it now needs a "power stick" to the tune of $900!! This chair is mainly used indoors, so is not exposed to the outdoors much. Expensive and inconvenient ride!!

phoebem7
1/19/17

I transport many people in many different chairs. There are 4 tiedowns to hook to the chair and tighten. A passenger got on with a Hoveround Mpv5, and there was nothing to hook the tiedowns on. Anyone in a chair sees Doctors regularly, how are they supposed to get there, drive their chair 5 miles in traffic? I called Hoveround to find out how to tie the chair down, they told me you cant, it's not built with tiedowns because the insurance won't pay for that. The tiedowns should be standard, like the footrest(??or does Hoveround charge for that also?). Putting hookups for tiedowns would cost the company at the MOST, $10, and I believe in actuality it would be under $5. I'm waiting to talk to the ADA, there's no excuse for this.

And to the lady that said she didn't have the money to sue for the problems with her Moms chair. Talk to a lawyer they usually don't get paid till you win, and it's a percentage of what you win. Good luck, these people need to be shut down.

susany23
12/9/16

I have a jazzy also and I haven't scooter now but I should have gotten to begin with that's what I want it but they decided to send me a crap as chair are we have a chair it's a jazzy it goes everywhere and anywhere you can go in the same can go in the mud go anywhere and it doesn't get stuck they're a bunch of $#*!s they think that there's any good plus what you get flat tires because they couldn't put good tires on there like that that's where all the way through that's what we need we need a flat tire out someplace idiots

charlesb151
10/7/16

Buy from anyone but them, you call for service and your 27 in line, finality get them and they say Charlie will call you... he never do. My lift license light went out in May 16 and i have yet top get them to fix it and its October 16 and they quoted me a price of $630 to fix it.

Well Nancy, Lets say a person goes to the doctor, gets a prescription and goes to pick it up. Unfortunately, the Pharmacist says your insurance provider cannot cover your prescription at the time, yet if you wait, then later you come back after insurance is cleared or you can pay $200 right now to get it, if it is an emergency and hopefully the insurance can reimburse you in due time. Well Hoveround is equal to the Pharmacist! PERIOD!!! It is out of the doctors hands once the order is complete...CORRECT??? The order moves to your facility, and you all have the product to then verify through insurance and call the CONSUMER IF the insurance doesn't go through, the product is on back order, you have to order a different product instead. You NEVER as the product handler give or take away from the order, first with out the customer's consent, 2nd without the doctor's consent...EVER!!! In retail the customer is #1 priority, and should ALWAYS come first!!! I am surprised that you all haven't been a) sued by all of these customers complaining b) reported numerous times to the BBB or the Federal Government or c) shut down for bad customer service or lack there of. I want to say that I was going to try and get my Grandmother a hoveround but I am almost now other wise convinced that she deserves better than that kind of service. You all should be kissing the ground that your customer's walk on, besides aren't they who give YOU (YOUR) paychecks to keep your lights on and feed your babies??? Also, it is fairly obvious to me that NANCY, ANN, ANGELA...ect are on here most likely(as people from the company or mystery shopper/survey takers) making money off of writing good reviews. I hope that you all are happy for set some of these good customers up for sabotage/failure, you name it! So far I have yet to find a positive comment of a person with a picture. Seriously, tires going flat on multiple, not one but, MULTIPLE persons Carts and you all WILL NOT fix them??? If my grandma gets a hoveround on her own and she has on single problem, you all will be hearing from BBB and Lawyers. STOP the mess that you are creating and provide BETTER customer service!!!

Has anyone else in your community or your relatives with had any experience with Hoveround?

By Al M.

mine charge up about same when new I get a shudder feeling if I don't charge my battery`s when chair moves.

By Larry W.

The best answer I have for you is to cancel your order with them and do not accept it if it arrives anyway. Then, go to a local or nearby medical equipment store or pharmacy. By the date of your post, you have probably already taken possession of the Hoveround and have learned what the rest of us did. As for a positive thing about them, at least they have a cup holder, a side bag, and they can get you from point a to b (hopefully).

By Gin P.

I doubt if they are focused on service improvements because the large profit margin is in the initial purchase of the chair, not in doing warranty work or maintenance. Just a thought.

By J H.

Questions? Get answers from the Hoveround staff and other customers.

Hoveround?