Review of Hirt's Gardens

Tel: 1-330-239-0506
greenhousematt@gmail.com

jennb44
4/12/19

I took a chance despite the horrible reviews and ordered several plants. I was so upset upon opening my package as every single plant was damaged. The plants were not packaged properly to say the least resulting in broken stems, spilled soil everywhere, ripped leaves etc. There were also plants that had several brown tips and chemical burns from over fertilizing. When I emailed customer service with pictures, they were unapologetic and did not provide a resolution.

maritesr2
10/24/18

Plants are not in good conditions,damaged and missing orders.call them they wont solve the problem.Very disappointed!!!

tinat126
7/12/18

Hirts Gardens has a LONG history selling dead, dying & false advertised plants, thousands of negative feedback on eBay and Amazon. Rude nasty people

estherc43
6/15/18

This company is a lie. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!! I bought a RED FREDDY GENOVESE BASIL from them but they send a PURPLE BASIL instead. The picture on their website is red and even the tag that came with the plant is red. I was obviously upset and send them an email and the guy kept insisting that the picture on the tag is purple. The picture and the plant look different and they insist on me paying for the return shipping if I want to return it which I believe is not justified since they were the one who send the wrong basil to me. I felt scammed! Very disappointed with their customer service.

suem281
6/13/18

Ordered a plant that arrived in not so good shape. Emailed and so quickly customer service had everything great!! Will order from them again. They refunded my money after sending pics! I give five star rating! Thanks so much hurts gardens! Can't wait to order more.

lawl
6/5/18

i brought munchkin oakleaf hydrangea and they came dying broken and a mess never buy from this place again should've read the review frist

cm210
5/8/18

This company is a joke and the Principal of the company is a complete jerk. I read their reviews and can see where his personally is coming from. They have very very poor rating with the BBB. I read some reviews before I ordered and they were so so. Guess I was looking at the wrong site. They really must SUCK because my review is nothing compared to what some people have said. They should have talked to Alan Hirt such a foul mouth and I was his customer. Guess he never learned customer relations, or business going down the tube really gets to a guy. Showed on the web site that this company was started by Samuel Hirt in the early 30s. Don't you know his family must really be proud of Alan.

mariap194
1/5/18

I wish I could give Hirt's Greenhouse a zero star rating. But I am forced to give it at least 1 star. The company has an F rating with the BBB in its community and countless 1 and 1 1/2 star ratings in plant-related websites, among them the worldwide-respected Dave's plant forum, as well as the Houzz website.

I paid $17.58, which included shipping charges, for what I thought would be a healthy 4" pot Dwarf Alberta Spruce. But what I received was a dying, yellowish brittle sapling, with dry, bent branches and shedding needles. The soil in the pot was powdery-dry, and the sapling had been sealed to the pot not with paper tape which could have been moistened, but with rubbery packing tape. And then, the sapling was crammed in a small USPS box, surrounded by packing peanuts. There was no moisture for the sapling, or protection from the drying packing peanuts.

I phoned and emailed Hirt's about the problem when the sapling came in. No one answered the phone, though Matt Hirt answered my emails. His responses, however, consisted of only several words. They did not address the problem with the sapling. He did ask that I email to him a photo of the sapling, and I emailed four photos and a lengthy explanation of my many unsuccessful attempts to revive it. He then responded with a few laconic words that did not address the problem. I also called PayPal and Walmart because the transaction was conducted through the two companies. But each time a recording informed me that it would be over two hours before I could speak to a representative. And, finally, in desperation, I called my credit card company, where a helpful person assisted me in filing for a chargeback.

Hirt's may have been a great place to purchase plants 66 years ago, but nowadays it is a place where the owners have zero remorse about selling dying or diseased plants and treating customers disrespectfully. And the behave that way because they know that it is nearly impossible to reach anyone at the financial institution that purchase transactions go through. Plus, Hirt's obviously do not care about their dismal ratings

bethl55
11/17/17

Bought bonsai plants from Hirts through Amazon. We're not as described. Went through a lengthy and torturous email conversation and even sent photos of the plants. They refused to acknowledge their error. Thankfully Amazon issued a full refund. Will never buy from Hirts again!!!!

maryannl7
5/15/17

Walmart.com order # Order #4871627-473346 Pappas Grass planted last Fall & ALL ARE DEAD. I DIDN'T EVEN GET ONE SEASON TO ENJOY. I understand your return policy is 15 days but come on they weren't even green this Spring. Can you PLZ send a replacement???

andreaw62
5/13/17

I ordered roses from WalMart to be delivered from Hirt's Gardens. The roses were at the point dying with yellow leaves and powdery mildew. Called and emailed both WalMart and Hirt's Gardens with no positive results. Guess I'll have to say it's a lesson learned. Do not buy from either Hirt's Gardens or WalMart.

margaretb110
4/26/17

An order came in today but its not what I ordered. What I ordered were:Golden Wonder Ice Plant quart pot for $ 5.99, Monarch`s Velvet Cinquefoil Perennial Plant Quart pot for $ 4.99, Pinot Grigio Giant Hibiscus Rose Mallow perennial - huge flowers -gallon pot for $ 11.99, and Brandy Punch Giant Hibiscus Rose Mallow perennial - huge flowers -Gallon pot for $ 11.99. For a total of $ 52.85. Instead, I get 4 Rozane Hardy Geraniums @ $ 12.99 a piece for a total of $ 73.85 that I did not order. So what do I do now with flowers I didn`t order and still want the ones I did order. Please contact me @ MyAngelWngs53@aol.com and let me know if I`m still getting the plants I did order and what to do with the geraniums.

heidie5
4/19/17

I was nervous to order from Hirt's because of some bad reviews I read but it went better than perfect. Their customer service was amazing, my new plants are gorgeous, and got here very quickly. Thanks :)

anthonyl90
4/10/17

Product was good but customer service was great. Had an issue with an order which was addressed promptly and beyond my expectations. Hirt's Gardens cares about you and your garden.

patriciah142
4/10/17

I ordered 5 plants from Hirts and received today. The first one was full of bugs. Omg different kind of bugs. Awful. The plants are awful. I tossed them away I don't want them near my other plants.

halinaz
3/24/17

I use to order from Hirt's Gardens all the time. The plants have always been robust and healthy upon arrival. I ordered two shamrocks through Walmart marketplace on March 6, Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant @$4.99. By March 16 not even two weeks both died and the communication with them was very poor. Defeated the purpose of having them for St. Patrick's day. They said it was no longer available at this site so they issued a refund what made it worse was they stated the reason for the refund was that I had changed my mind when I hadn't. They did have it on Amazon at a much higher price.
----------------Pasted from Amazon-------------------------
Velvet Sunset Shamrock - Oxalis - 4" Pot - Fairy Garden Plant or House Plant
by Hirt's Gardens
$ 24 58 + $3.00 shipping

They didn't acknowledge the truth. So I decided to give them one more try and order directly from them. The plant I had ordered before was no longer available on their site either. So I ordered a close facsimile. Rare Fire Fern Shamrock Plant - Oxalis also in a 4" Pot. When it arrived it was poorly planted in the pot looking quite unhealthy and scraggly not full like any of the photos. It has only 8 shoots with very few leaves. I don't expect the plants to look identical but I took a picture of mine. I received an email today March 24, 2017 review their plant. I did write a review but they did not post it. When I checked the reviews there was the a new review with today's date. I pasted below from their website. I find it ironic how I stated in my review the plant looked very unhealthy and this unknown source wrote Small Plant but very healthy. I did include my name in my review. I will no longer be buying from them. I also have screen shots of all the pages stated in this review should there be any doubts or rebuttals from Hirt's. I will no longer refer anyone to their site for any plants.

---------------------------------------Pasted from their website----------------
PRODUCT REVIEWS

WRITE REVIEW
SMALL PLANT 5 Star Review
Posted by Unknown on Mar 24th 2017

But very healthy

christinem127
3/13/17

I purchased four separate plants from them as a third party through Walmart.com. One of the plants, the most expensive one a dwarf banana plant, was never sent to me but they marked it as sent via the website. I found that very shady! However, two of the three species of plants were received half dead (tansy's and a lemon grass) while the last (blue rue) looked absolutely perfect. This was not a weather or delivery issue, especially when seeing that one plant, the blue rue, in perfect condition. It lead me to believe it was what they choose to send out me. The plants were received in a week and it is not hot outside either. So, buyer beware. I know some people had better experiences than I did (I purchased from Hirt's based on the positive reviews I found). Hopefully if you decide to buy you will have a good experience. Regardless if you have a good experience or a bad one submit your review to help the next consumer make their choice or perhaps a business to better their practices!

mrsc12
3/12/17

I was not sure what condition my plants would be in when I received,the packing was excellent,very satisfied I ordered 4plants all were in excellent condition.Thanks

ivana58
3/9/17

I placed an order for a rare Boncel snake plant. It was delivered so quickly and arrived in perfect conditions. It was just exactly like the one in the photo. Awesome company!
Ivan A.
Tampa, Florida

suzanh1
2/14/17

Ordered for daughter in Las Vegas on Thurs. Amazed, because her bday day before Valentines day. She got it right on her bday on Mon in great condition. Shipped with a hand warmer inside box. Everything just like pix and she's enjoying. Thanx

sandyc53
8/10/16

I am so greatly disappointed. I ordered some seeds from Hirt's. I was excited to finally receive them. I planted them according to the directions enclosed.They didn't come up and didn't come up.
Then as I was reading the sheet enclosed with the seeds, I couldn't get the statement." All sales are final", out of my head. It made it sound like they don't expect them to germinate and grow, so they don't want to be responsible. Are they old seeds? Are they truly the fern peony seeds? I don't feel they are very truthful and will never order from your company again.

davido81
5/31/16

Ordered on the internet and was very pleased with the prompt service and the
quality of the plants.

lindas240
2/9/16

I read a number of reviews and was leary about purchasing. This site had a specific plant I'd been searching for and decided I'd risk it. I was extremely pleased with my purchase. Even though it's winter 60 mi west of Chicago; the plants arrived better than I hoped. The packaging was superb; delivery charges were reasonable; the plants were larger than I hoped and they arrived without any issues. I will definetly be purchasing from Hirt's Gardens again. Linda

ashleyk36
2/5/16

This seller sent me a vase and bulb set for Christmas. The vase came chipped and physically damaged. Seller agreed to refund (reluctantly after demanding several photos) and then claimed he never got the returned item. Funny... This happened after I left an honest review about his nasty customer service. Mr. Hirt changes the terms of his own policy in order to take people's hard earned money. Then he has the audacity to admit he will re-sell my damaged vase which he claims not to have!!! Do NOT make the mistake I did. He should be revomed from all big online merchants. The merchant I chose sided with Mr. Hirt so I'm pretty sure he pays them off. WARNING HORRIBLE LYING SELLER!!!!

tonym98
6/30/15

Terrible scraggly plants of very poor quality, zero customer service, this is not a company you want to do business with. If they allowed zero stars I would have chosen that.

Questions? Get answers from the Hirt's Gardens staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Hirt's Gardens