Review of eBay

2017 Customer choice award

hannahs128
7/15/18

Absolutely disgusting.
Sellers havent got a leg to stand on even when theyre in the right.
Sold an item with an accurate description but because the buyer decided she didnt like the item, I had to pay for return postage, even though in their policies it states when an item is incorrectly described the seller has to pay for return postage. I told the seller to just keep the item as Id rather not pay an extra £3 for an item I wouldnt not even receive back anyway because my old address from 2 years ago were on it, even though I changed it on my eBay account when I moved! But she sent the item back anyway, so Im out of pocket with my item, my money and postage just because the buyer decided it wasnt her style.
When seeking help from eBay I was told to just go out and collect it from an eBay advisor without any concern that this may not actually be even possible?
Disgusting and inconciderate. All they seem to say is apologies this much be a discouraging experience so patronising and they couldnt give a flying pig.
Ive been an eBay member daily for over 7 years and never have I been treated the way I have been treated by a company before.
I will be sending a complaint for what its worth and will be deleting my account.
AVOID. THERE ARE MUCH BETTER SELLING SITES OUT THERE WITH BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE

margaritam25
7/14/18

This is my first and LAST time buying from eBay! I have done everything I was told to do in order to get back my refund of an item that came from China that looked nothing like the picture! Worst experience ever. Not only I have lost $100 on a garbage product/shipping but I also have lost money sending it back through PayPal where their seller gave me a $50 credit for return shipping but placed it on hold! All because the package is showing in transit for a few weeks and the seller is yet to declare received so they denied my case for refund and closed it! Thank you for nothing all they did was take my money! Never again!!!!!

pamelag47
7/13/18

I used to love shopping on Ebay. They do have better prices than Amazon, it's what you have to deal with to get those extra savings that have finally ended my shopping with them. I do bid on items now and then, as I did the other night. I won the item, and was very excited that I got such a good bargain. Ebay emails me and says "for my protection" they had to cancel this order. Seller no longer sells on Ebay. I called CS and get told the same. Asked if they could reimburse me somehow for my trouble, they say "no" However the same thing happened the next night, different buyer account and different seller. Same sort of item. They blame it on sellers, but the sellers are most likely Ebay. They just make as look as though it's someone else who is selling the merchandise.. If you ever read their "policies" they have rules for buyer beware. They have answers for exact questions I want to know. It must happen all the time. Then they state that if you write them reviews they can say its harassment and ban you from their site.
I am pretty sure they are the scammers. This is not the first time something fishy has happened while shopping on their site. I would suggest you be careful when purchasing from these shysters. You just never know what new policy they'll hit you with. I wish they would ban me.

jheanyllh
7/13/18

Selling items on ebay is a ridiculously stressful endeavor. Hidden fees and difficult listing process. The people who buy things are so hard to deal with and so incredibly picky as though they are buying from some high end boutique. I am selling a USED product, duuuuuuh..

tommyr35
7/12/18

I've only ever had 3 nonsensical transactions on eBay as a buyer OR seller since 2002.

Although eBay has been nicknamed "feebay" by many users, it's still a decent site.
Not perfect, but it's been good enough to have a business from 2002-2008 & reestablish it in 2018 after a decade-long hiatus, while keeping my buyer/seller username open since 2002.
Reestablishing my seller account was easy.
STILL...fees tend to be a little bit high...if one doesn't sell properly.

prasannan
7/7/18

I have done this and upon reaching at the post office they said weight is not correct and I have to purchase another label and I will get refund upon voiding the shipping label online which they rejected. I ended up paying for double shipping.

th4832
7/6/18

eBay is getting worst. Wishywash buyers out of the wood works. Some buyers send messages about an item being shipped. They couldn't picked it up. Its been over a month. The site is getting washed up. Not worth it anymore. I closed my lisitings and pay fees. Thanks for nothing ebay. It attracts Fleabay.

rodb54
7/5/18

E bay use to be the best place to sell; not anymore..Their fees are too high.and..Buyers have all of the rights ....

carlam40
7/5/18

I love the variety of products available on eBay. I find myself on the site quiet often just looking at items. Comparing prices , reading item descriptions. I've found that if you check back often you may find some really great deals. You have the option to buy the items now or some you have the option to bid on. Which is one of my favorite features of this site. I won a pair of new plus size jeans for $5.89 plus $10.00 shipping & a new pair of black & white striped Old Navy flip flops for just $4.00 (shipping included). Since sellers are able to set their own prices , you will find some truly ridiculous prices throughout the site. Don't let that throw you , they are plenty of great deals & truly fair price listings there as well.

leong42
7/4/18

I always check either ebay or Amazon for almost everything I buy including shoes, jewelry, meds, car parts, cars, clothing and if I cant find it I use gthe linking service.

samd186
7/4/18

I had to write much more money for delivery. So it was a big surprise for me. But at least I got high quality goods, so that's why I decided to put this grade.

garyh374
7/4/18

You want to "check-out" the person you plan to deal with, so you read it's FEEDBACK, yes?...well, good luck with that.

You must understand that eBay have RIGGED the "FB" system...rigged it years ago, in favour of buyers.

As a buyer, you can leave the seller any FB...Neutral, Negative or Positive, but as a SELLER?, you can ONLY leave POSITIVE FB, or no FB at all...no matter what...Oh, that reminds me. On the eBay community forum, it is against the rules to "Name and Shame" an ebayer, "no matter what" Shill bid, steal (return an empty box) anything..."no matter what".

Back to the FB system

I likened it to a football match WAY B4 the World Cup, where the oppositions (buyers) goal has not only been bricked-up, but...just to be on the SAFE side, located in a DIFFERENT stadium. Oh I don't expect you (or anybody else for that matter) to take my word for it...you'll find out fer yerself (as a seller) soon enough.

And what about returns?
when you have an "item" (something other than what you sent out, even an EMPTY BOX, seriously) returned?, and eBay STILL make you refund (and pay return postage) what about FB now?, a "negative positive"? NOPE, isn't an option, sorry...it's against the rules...POSITIVE feedback, or NO feedback, and if you think about it for a moment, No FB = positive FB = 100% :(

davids1705
7/2/18

Even domestic sellers are selling products they have no idea what they sell. Product knowlwdge is important. If its a car part and theyre listing for wrong year dont buy. And even domestic sellers sell chinese and imported junk. Ask the item number and where its made.

omarp31
7/2/18

I've been a Ebay user for years... Ever since they started charging 10% for every item you sold, I gave up on them. I'ts nearly impossible to profit anything with that 10% fee. Not to mention all the other fees that come with it (final shipping fee & Paypal fee). Ebay is a great place to Buy. But not to sale anymore. I'll only sale things i don't need anymore, kind of like a garage sale. But to start a business in buying and selling, I won't be using Ebay.

anni10
7/2/18

It used to be great website 14 years ago. ( 1999 to 2004 that was the golden days) I really enjoyed it and we did good business that time . Now the fees are too high customer service have no ideas what they doing, eBay or PayPal will do nothing to take your money,,,,,,,,

andrew36
7/2/18

I got banned for no particular reason. A small misunderstanding (that was actually the buyer's fault) triggered an 'alarm', and instead of getting to the bottom of it to understand the issue, they simply banned me for life. Nkt:(

corriea1
6/30/18

Worse place to sell, it used to be great back in the early 2000s. Sellers have no rights for the fees we pay. My account is it restricted, with a perfect selling feedback since 1999. Why? My son with the same last name made an honest mistake and got banned for life. Now the reps tell me I have to be watched closest, sort of like a probation period, Also, buyers can lie about the item and say its damaged and you didnt put that in the description, and you have no chance to state your case.... keep treating sellers like scum. There are many more sites available now, Etsy, Ruby Lane! Amazon, Poshmark etc.. .you dont need this greedy company to sell.

markg496
6/30/18

It was good 15 years ago. I really enjoyed it. Today, the fees are too high and it seems like I was spending a lot of time opening disputes for non-paying buyers and defective merchandise. People will ask $29.95 for a piece of junk that probably couldn't sell for 99 cents. Then there are the behind the scenes infractions like shell bidding and scams. eBay does offer buyers the opportunity to buy vintage items but beware of the price you will pay! In my opinion, eBay is still the biggest and offers the most stuff, but high fees and frequent scams have kept me away. Sometimes, an open dispute(s) can last for several weeks. To me, eBay's open dispute process is a bit useless especially if there is more than one at a time.

Tip for consumers: Beware!! Read the sellers feedback closely and never completely trust it because some sellers have found ways to manipulate the system. Ask a question, I call it the jerk test. Usually if you receive rude or condescending replay, just say no!

brooker37
6/28/18

I have almost 900 100% positive reviews as both a seller and buyer which is why I am appalled that Ebay closed my store down. In March I started a home addition and so a lot of my Ebay items were boxed up, but because EBay still takes your fee even if you have your store on vacation mode, I decided to keep it open. In total, from March, I had 4 items that I could not locate because of this and so I had to end the transaction, but all the while maintaining my 100% customer review. At the same time, I was able to sell items successfully although the past few months business has been slow. In the meantime, Ebay has no problem taking my money while I shop frequently. Go figure. I have called EBay twice and one rep said to try back in a couple of years while the second rep said indefinitely. I cannot believe the coldness in which this is being done as I have hundreds of listings, spent countless hours taking photos, researching and writing descriptions for each item, ALL FOR NOTHING. Ironically, I am about to unpack all of my EBay items that were active listings and now I am not allowed to sell them. I will NEVER purchase from Ebay again, They will not get one cent from me.

ferng2
6/26/18

eBay customer service is always helpful in solving issues. I have made plenty of purchases from very professional sellers that have been willing to resolve any misunderstanding.

ae39
6/26/18

I purchased outright a wallet from Central_Housemarket (seller). Within 24 hrs I had an amail stating the item has damage and they cant sell it. Meanwhile, he offered 2 other options for a replacement. Bth those oprions can be bought anywhere else online for about half the price, I paid.
I really feel he is flim-flaming the public with this fraudulent activity.

I said No and requested the refund. It has been 2 weeks and many excuses later - no action.

This seller is obviously not an honest one. But even filing a complaint with EBAY brought me no results. I protested the charge.

Will not deal ever again with EBAY, have to say.
O and the item is (once again) being advertised for sale:

Buxton Womens Leather 3 In 1 Thin Credit Card Case Wallet Change Purse Id #183270289683

tinas236
6/24/18

...and sometimes the only place you will find just what you need/want. By far, my number one go to place to shop for a deal and unique products!

nicholasy9
6/23/18

I have been on ebay for many years and have not had any problems worth mentioning. For the time being, it is a good site for buying and selling. But as good as their site is, I think it could it could be much better. They just need to stop trying to be like Amazon. If I wanted to buy and sell on Amazon, I would be using Amazon. Ebay has been taken over. They are catering to the big corporations and drop shippers, each of whom sells tens of thousands of items, if not hundreds of thousands. These businesses are ruining ebay because they flood the search pages with thousands of identical duplicate listings that may vary in price by a few pennies, or just a letter or two in the title. It is near impossible to compete as a seller in a market that is saturated with cheaper quality items that always seem to be at the top of the search results, but in a way, that competition makes it a good site to buy on. But check Amazon before buying on ebay, because many of the big sellers and drop shippers are using ebay to list their items and then have them shipped through their Amazon Prime accounts. Of course, in cases like that, the ebay prices will be a few dollars more than Amazon. Maybe they will merge someday. Another thing I feel happening on ebay is that the seller is gradually losing control over how they run their business on ebay. Rules and regulations, and even more rules and regulations. And the fees! If they raise them again anytime soon, I think that the smaller sellers will begin to leave in waves and then ebay would become something like an online Walmart, a truly irrelevant online marketplace. They need to remember where they came from. They need to remember their roots before they are cut down.

carlc120
6/23/18

Ebay used to be great, now "Fee-bay" is a great place to be a buyer, and a terrible place to be a seller- the seller protection is almost nill....

ilenet4
6/23/18

My site won't update the items I have listed. eBay claims that there is a "glitch" with the platform on their side, so my claim is not valid. I have reported this multiple times and they won't address it and the representative I spoke with was really not interested and told me that I have no recourse as it's over 90 days old. There solution was to downgrade my seller rating on the basis of metrics that don't address the issue. Bad customer service for the seller.

1,463 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I would never buy a used car without seeing it in person and having it checked out.

By James W.

Ebay is a den of thieves. Even Ebay is evasive on complaints to answers. When looking for items, be sure to be fully informed to what you are shopping and use all that knowledge to cypher the listing, even then have found those that list items to be evasive on answers. Avoid ebay if possible!

By BroC H.

For their own purposes and to protect dishonest sellers. I was once an avid EBay shopper, but now avoid EBay. Buyer protection no longer exists. You buy at your own risk.

By Christine P.

Ebay sells nothing. You are dealing with private sellers. Some are good, some are not. The best way to determine this is to check the feedback. I personally never buy from anyone who has a feedback lower than 90%. 96% is considered bad, by Ebay. Take that with a grain of salt. Ebay management is nuts.

By Valerie F.

If you haven't already learned the hard way that Ebay is just pure bull$#*! when it comes to the sellers rights. When someone wants to send it back for any reason other than it doesn't work as described, you will be footing the bill. Not only will you lose the money you paid to ship it to them, Ebay will offer to provide a return label for them at your expense. Yep, that's right. They will bill you the price of the label if you don't provide it. Either way, you are paying for it to get back to you. It's get better. You can't leave negative feedback for the buyer either. It's not an option NO MATTER

By Chris N.

For myself, will use ebay as a last resort. Ebay is a den of thieves. Had one seller send me a phone book and sex book in place of sander I won to show he sent item of weight and shipped so he could collect off paypal/ebay, found out this seller had ripped off many before ebay closed his "store/ ripoff factory" down. I know they claim to have separated ebay and paypal but my credit card company said its smoke and mirrors, that they still work together. Ebay is on their way out!

By BroC H.

Yes . You are right. All what people told you are correct. Don't trust ebay and the seller on ebay. Amazon much better than them. But anyway the best way to buy electronics from the local stores or official stores.

By Alayham A.

Depends on the seller. I wouldn't buy anything off ebay because there a crappy company.

By Greg L.

You can contact the seller and ask. Also look at their rating, if it's 99% then they will take care of you! For years, most of my shopping I do is from sellers off Ebay and mostly do great! Good luck!

By brian b.

The correct thing to do is to email the seller and tell him you are not satisfied with the product and would like to return it for a refund. Most sellers will work with you. If after contacting the seller your problem is not resolved you than open a case with ebay that you the product is not satisfactory and you would like to return for a refund, Go to the seller first and give him a chance to make it right so it does not ruin his business.

By Shirley M.
Questions? Get answers from the eBay staff and other customers.

39 Photos for eBay