Review of eBay

hostmaster@ebay.com
2017 Customer choice award

michaelg952
11/19/18

There are some items on Ebay that have better prices or selections than Amazon. One example, I recently purchased new Taylor Made irons on Ebay and saved about $100. I've never had a bad transaction on the platform, but don't do that many deals there. Compared to Amazon, it's about 100:1 in favor of Amazon.

One complaint, the interface between buyer and seller is clunky and takes too long to get an answer; plus you have to go through several questions within their interface before they'll let you send an email. Perhaps its greatest utility is to value used stuff.

Overall, I recommend EBAY for select items.

jessicas3
11/16/18

Well, eBay has managed to earn the dubious distinction of the absolute worst website ever in my experience. Even Amazon at least took steps to amend the situation, even though it took a lot of time and headache on my part.

My husband had placed an item for bid, but found a local buyer, which was obviously more convenient. However, a buyer had already made a bid and sent money, even after my husband had said the item was no longer available. He was completely upfront with both the buyer and eBay, and did not accept the money. Ultimately, the guy got his money back...no harm, no foul, right? Wrong. He filed a case with eBay and they took $103 out of our account. When my husband contacted the website, it was a customer service nightmare. Every email was from a different representative, and every time he thought he had answered the questions and sent them the proof they asked for, they would say that they needed "more information". They also kept claiming to not be able to view the files, and told my husband to post them using photo sharing sites that were not free. They had said they would keep the case open for five days after that, but not even two days later, informed him that they would not issue a refund to us.

Taking $103 from us for a sale that never happened...I believe the word for that is thievery. This is in addition to fees they charged for using the site. So they are making a profit without having provided any service. We will never use the site again.

michaelc1410
11/15/18

Except make money.

18 year vet eBay seller, 100% positive feedbacks on 376 transactions. One stiff buyer refused to pay the amount he bid on and won an auction. I refused to let him cancel. He posted the only negative feeback I have ever gotten after 18 years of vastly s uperior customer service.

eBay refused to do anythign about getting the totally unfair and not by the rules feedback removed.

eBay has lost it. They simply don't care and h ave no intention of anything resembling customer service.

jenv23
11/13/18

I placed a bid on an item intended to be gift for my Dad's suv. Upon realizing I selected wrong size, I appropriately messaged the seller who 'cancelled the order' & replied with a confirmation message. It has been two weeks and the $70+ item still remains in my cart. I've messaged the seller 3 times and called Ebay customer service 5 times and told something different with every call . One representative moved item to 'HIDDEN' under my unpaid tab and told me resolved. One rep told me she needed authorization from the seller, despite a clear message history authorizing. Finally, I called to CLOSE EBAY ACCOUNT and was told I couldn't because I have an unpaid item in cart!!!!!!! Either I am being scammed by Ebay or or by Ebay's seller but either way, Ebay is RESPONSIBLE for transactions made on their site. Disappointed would be an understatement. I guess I'll have to cancel Paypal account to close account with Ebay.

gwynb4
11/13/18

Unsupportive eBay after purchasing a phone which is obviously a scam.
After purchasing a phone yesterday thinking it was ok as I went through sellers feedback and seem on the surface ok.
Went back durning the evening to check again and found some newly listed negative feedback saying seller took money didn't send item and then realisted it which is when I purchased it....
called eBay today to try and cancel and get money back but no chance have to wait till the 18th November to see if seller sends the item then have to start fighting for the money back..... why can't they just cancel the order and refund the money..... eBay did say they were monitoring this seller!!!! That's no good to honest people who buy from eBay on a regular basis like myself.........

alys15
11/12/18

On their website, it claims they don't charge a seller's fee for charities. However, it charged me a seller's fee. If I'd known this, I would've used another website that has better options for nonprofits.
I've spoken to customer service several times and they told there's nothing they can do.

mikem1084
11/9/18

Ebay knowingly allows thieves to conduct business on their website. They then refuse to return money with proof of theft. Beware you to can be ripped off by them as well. Now I'm out $80 no gift for my sons birthday.

fredl102
11/7/18

Ebay needs to scrutinize the sellers from China. So many of these vendors sell shoddy merchandise and know you'll have problems returning items so you never get reimbursed for the return shipping. One in particular, AICCI, is a vendor to stay away from because what they sell is not only sub par and misrepresented but they won't refund your purchase price or return shipping.

anitab127
11/6/18

The site is great however some sellers are not as professional as they should be. However you will find really cheap items on there and some good buys

jdt9
11/6/18

I provided eBay with extensive documentation that one of their sellers (stereo_needs) has a history of taking items back under warranty and never repairing or returning the item. This seller, operates out of California and uses a franchised UPS Store location as her registered business address, which is a violation of the California Secretary of State rules on address reporting. eBay gives this seller a "top rated seller" rating. Do some research outside of eBay before buying. Sad that eBay won't police their own site to rid it of known rip-off artists.

amandac365
11/3/18

The worst company on the internet.

Gave me an offer to sell three items,
and get £5 back for each. They applied the vouchers on my
account, stupidly I forgot to print screen this, which I usually do
(knowing they take vouchers off your account.)
So I have the vouchers in my account,
they were there last night. This morning when about to buy an
expensive table saw with one voucher, and something else with the
other voucher, (as they came in two separate vouchers) I find eBay
have removed them!
Spent half the morning on chat with
them. They tried to advise me that I can still accept the offer, in
other words...go sell three more items....nice that hey?
Luckily for me I print screened the
accepted voucher code to sell and get £5 for each item back.
I sent the print screen and the
representative says 'yes, I can see you have accepted the offer now.
Funny that hey! Because she couldn't before the proof arrived in her
mail box.
Now I have to wait 60 days for the
vouchers they took from me, to be given back.
I bet I don't receive them, and will
have to rage on at them to get them...I am very angry about it.
So table saw now being bought form
Amazon. I was going to set up a business account too to sell, that is
not happening. I will buy from eBay if I have to, but never sell
again. And I will try and find items elsewhere before buying from
eBay.
I actually hate this company, they lie,
and they do it all legally. Everything I said to them, the vouchers I
had on account was the truth, but they can just say "I can't see
it". Too convenient.
The amount of problems I have had with
them over 15 years is ridiculous! But most of the problems of this
kind in the last few years, they have gone right down hill.
They make a mistake, and it is always
on you, they should have honoured the vouchers.

Do not trust these voucher codes and
offers, print screen everything you get on your account! I say this
because it will happen to everyone if they are not vigilant.

nikkif28
11/2/18

The most awful along site I've ever used, stupid outdated policies that only protect the buyer not the seller and ensure that fraudulent buyers can commit their offences with EBays help and blessings. Useless customer service department that you struggle to email and they seem to struggle to understand basic English. For the fees you pay to use the site a yard sale with a three year old running it would be more efficient. I can honestly say I have never HATED any other site in the way I hate ebay. Useless pointless and aggravating.

jacbl
11/2/18

Sold an iPhone 7 last month via eBay. On receipt the buyer said the home button wasn't working and asked to return (the home button was in working order). I asked them to check it was on as the iPhone 7 has a home button that only clicks when the phone is powered up.

The buyer didn't respond and instead just ignored me for the entire returns period.

I was told by eBay support to wait for them to return and then I'd have a chance to inspect the item to check if it was ok before a refund was issued.

The item got lost in the post but royal mail marked it as delivered. eBay refunded the buyer anyway (I was told I would have time to inspect it but the refund happened immediately when it was delivered).

Royal Mail has admitted fault but won't refund. Similarly, eBay are telling me to take it up with the buyer and are taking no responsibility.

I have spent hours on the phone with eBay and the Royal Mail, and have lost £300 too.

febaym
11/1/18

Place is sick and nasty, sold items and they were returned for an unreasonable reason claiming defective items when they are not, ebay favors buyers only, items returned only to be returned to some other address, so i lost both items and money, what a scam ebay

pollyd4
10/31/18

The quality of items that I have purchased from this site has been quite inconsistent. Clothes would be made from low quality materials or be damaged in places that can't be seen on the product pictures.

briennab3
10/29/18

I have to let the world know that the biggest internet bully/ SCAMMER right now is eBay!!! It was the biggest mistake of my life! Long story short, I had TWO BUYERS SCAM me on my items! Not only did they get my items (that were not cheap) EBAY REFUNDED THEM THEIR MONEY WITHOUT ME GETTING MY ITEMS BACK!! How is this site still up and running??? Not to mention the items that were "LOST" in the mail?!? Ys, I said LOSt. DO NOT USE SMARTPOST to send your items on eBAY!!

briang317
10/27/18

Ordered a hammock from unique_factory on ebay. Sent message asking if it had a mosquito net. Reply was it did have. No net arrived. After much correspondence they still stand by that it is "as ordered". They will not honor their word. They cannot be trusted. Pictured on the page are nylon hammocks and what arrived was a cotton hessian. Absolute crap. Further look at web page you can see a small statement that there are 2 types. Not professional and not trust worthy. Do not buy from them.

emap8
10/27/18

Don't expect good quality from eBay. Let me put in this way, 2/10 things you ordered is going to be not like in the photo, for example I bought hoodie from eBay, and after few days the logo started to come out from the hoodie. Be aware of that

timm460
10/24/18

Ebay is too costly and you can rarely turn a decent profit for an item. If you want fair market value of something you basically have to overprice it and rip someone off to get it. Seller fees are extremely too high. Piss on Ebay, i have better luck on craigslist

dwaynea5
10/23/18

Got scammed for a $119 dollar bissell pet all in one floor vaccum and steamer. Did all the footwork to try and find out what happened to it just to find out from UPS that the seller had it sent to a totally different address, and that a Thomas signed for it,...(not my name). Went to that address and it was a business with a "Thomas" in package receiving, but he doesn't remember if he signed for it or not. Not to mention that I have a ring doorbell as proof that I didn't receive it. Tried to get Ebay to step in and help, and they wouldn't do anything about it. I'm done with ebay! Too many scams these days! And, Ebay is letting scammers use their site. I'll cut my loses and use the mall!!

Tip for consumers: Be careful who you order from through Ebay.

donnyw15
10/23/18

I didin't like the fact that people gets scammed here. So you have you be very carefuland watch out for scammers. Another thing, the quality not always matches picture, watch out. Besides that, great place tu put your unusable things to sell.

jaydaj
10/23/18

I purchased so many things from ebay. i was satisfied when the things came. I will continue to order my things from there.

rickys59
10/17/18

I've bought a few items from Ebay and wasn't disappointed. Shipping was quite fast, sellers were polite and the prices weren't crazy. Would definitely recommend for anyone that wants to save a bit of money.

jeffc377
10/16/18

Ebay sends a request to "help: consumers after each purchase by rating the transaction. BEWARE! What they do NOT tell you is that if you actually do give a fair appraisal- you probably will no longer be sold to! Many companies request that you contact them FIRST before giving anything but a 5 star rating. This program is a FARCE! This happened to me. When I contacted E-bay, they said it was not their "problem" and that the vendor was free to sell to whoever they choose. I will no longer aid E-bay in their efforts (in rating products or services). E-bay's true allegiance is truly only to themselves- NOT the customer!

kurta36
10/15/18

I have not had a problem on this site that they didn't take care of. They will take care of any problem you have. I use eBay all the time and never had a problem

1,465 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I would never buy a used car without seeing it in person and having it checked out.

By James W.

Ebay is a den of thieves. Even Ebay is evasive on complaints to answers. When looking for items, be sure to be fully informed to what you are shopping and use all that knowledge to cypher the listing, even then have found those that list items to be evasive on answers. Avoid ebay if possible!

By BroC H.

For their own purposes and to protect dishonest sellers. I was once an avid EBay shopper, but now avoid EBay. Buyer protection no longer exists. You buy at your own risk.

By Christine P.

Ebay sells nothing. You are dealing with private sellers. Some are good, some are not. The best way to determine this is to check the feedback. I personally never buy from anyone who has a feedback lower than 90%. 96% is considered bad, by Ebay. Take that with a grain of salt. Ebay management is nuts.

By Valerie F.

If you haven't already learned the hard way that Ebay is just pure bull$#*! when it comes to the sellers rights. When someone wants to send it back for any reason other than it doesn't work as described, you will be footing the bill. Not only will you lose the money you paid to ship it to them, Ebay will offer to provide a return label for them at your expense. Yep, that's right. They will bill you the price of the label if you don't provide it. Either way, you are paying for it to get back to you. It's get better. You can't leave negative feedback for the buyer either. It's not an option NO MATTER

By Chris N.

For myself, will use ebay as a last resort. Ebay is a den of thieves. Had one seller send me a phone book and sex book in place of sander I won to show he sent item of weight and shipped so he could collect off paypal/ebay, found out this seller had ripped off many before ebay closed his "store/ ripoff factory" down. I know they claim to have separated ebay and paypal but my credit card company said its smoke and mirrors, that they still work together. Ebay is on their way out!

By BroC H.

Yes . You are right. All what people told you are correct. Don't trust ebay and the seller on ebay. Amazon much better than them. But anyway the best way to buy electronics from the local stores or official stores.

By Alayham A.

Depends on the seller. I wouldn't buy anything off ebay because there a crappy company.

By Greg L.

You can contact the seller and ask. Also look at their rating, if it's 99% then they will take care of you! For years, most of my shopping I do is from sellers off Ebay and mostly do great! Good luck!

By brian b.

The correct thing to do is to email the seller and tell him you are not satisfied with the product and would like to return it for a refund. Most sellers will work with you. If after contacting the seller your problem is not resolved you than open a case with ebay that you the product is not satisfactory and you would like to return for a refund, Go to the seller first and give him a chance to make it right so it does not ruin his business.

By Shirley M.
Questions? Get answers from the eBay staff and other customers.

eBay?