Review of BookDepository

Tel: 3075132408
help@support.bookdepository.com

kk295
4/16/19

they never send your item, theyre full of lies
have had issues from the day ive bought it cause they kept changing what they said about a stock status of a book
they say theyve sent it but they actually havent,
all they have to do is, change the status to dispatched (no one knows if it actually has been sent cause they dont provide tracking)
and all they say is sorry, and give you a refund,
dont use these scammers, waste of time

tamarab95
3/17/19

Book depository is great! I've ordered about a dozen books so far, and they typically arrive sooner than the period estimated my the website (one month to Canada), rarely a bit later.

If you want something immediately, order from somewhere else. If you're able to be patient and value free shipping, they are a dream! I live in a remote location where most free shipping places do not ship... so it's great. Just be patient y'all.

joannek84
2/11/19

We ordered our books on January 10, 2019 and have yet to received our books till today February 12. We wrote in to ensure our books are still coming. Customer advisor replied and said no way to track as the books were sent via standard shipping. It's a ripped off. I will never buy another book from bookdepository.

pm154
1/11/19

Ordered a hardback leather-bound red/gold/black edition of Dracula and other horror classics" to add to my new collection, deliberately not buying from Amazon as they only advertised a silver edition (never had any problems with them and products always as advertised). However BD sent the silver version and upon querying this claimed images are intended as a guide only. This is unacceptable as the photographed item and the written description (eg "full colour illustrations throughout") bear no resemblance to the item I received and there is no footnote to indicate you may not receive the advertised item-if I knew this I would have avoided and look elsewhere. The customer service in dealing with this has been poor. After initial complaint, no offer to rectify situation was made and the advert is still showing red/gold version, which is blatant false advertising. After having to repeat details again they then offered a refund upon return (with no apology whatsoever) but are unwilling to pay the postage. I keep receiving stock responses from various people. This is their error and distance selling regulations state if item is not as described then they are liable. After threatening them with Trading Standards they said they would be in touch "very soon" but since then nothing despite my repeated chasing (via email as they have no phone number).

My advice to anyone considering ordering from this company to avoid them and choose instead one of the many other more reputable and honest booksellers available online.

sylvied6
1/9/19

I absolutely Love this Amazing Books online store their Web site are so easy to navigated on, easy to Follow hours order, theirs a huge variety of Books for myself it's the place i've purchase my colouring Books est the shipping isFree worldwide and that's make a Huge avantage for UK Canada and other place who the shipping is so expensive most of the time is more the the Book price and the price of their Books are not more expensive then Amazon so to me it's the very best online store to purchase all of my colouring Books. The customer's service is excellent they are so Kind and do everythings to help u found a precise Book so they really are The Best for any kind of Books you would like to buy online.
Highly recommand Book depository to everyones !

philipt65
1/9/19

Ordered 2 books in early December in plenty time for wife's birthday in January 10.
1 came straight away, the 2nd has still not arrived. These were to be her presents from my 5 & 7 year old kids.
Book Depository either misrepresented the availability, or oversold it.
Either way, I had to go out and buy a new present for her today so that they each have a little something for her in the morning.
I found the help line staff to be petty, and you can always expect the worst when they refuse to give their name!

laurenc165
12/18/18

After ordering a book on September 18 which never arrived, we were told we had to wait 8-10 WEEKS! for their returns to come in (whatever that meant). It's now December 18, well past their returns deadline and they still wont refund or reship our book. Will not be using this scam service again. Rip Off!

stephanieb387
12/12/18

VERY poor experience using the Book Depository. I ordered a book on September 5th from the UK to Ireland which I never received. I got in contact with the team and eventually after many emails they finally ordered me a replacement book on October 19th. It has been 2 months now and I still have not received my replacement. I wrote to the customer service team twice and apologised, asked me to check my local post office, when I responded that I had I was just ignored.

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS WEBSITE!!!

josepha276
12/2/18

it has been over 20 days and i am still waiting for my delivery, their surport team is useless. please do not use this website.

tims429
12/1/18

They charged my card for a book two months ago. Had I not enquired they would have kept it. But, I did and I was willing to except the excuse of it being on back order until I received an email advertising the title in question as being back in stock.
So, I inquired again only to be told it is no longer available.
This is a scam....
Think of all the people who loose track of their small orders

marinu1
11/25/18

In this day and age, there's no excuse for not giving customers options like gift receipts and tracking. I've always hated that about them, but it is a way I can reasonable send books to my friend in New Zealand. After the last debacle, I won't be shopping with them again.

I ordered a book for a friend. I am a return customer, and I have always and only ordered for this one person, so it isn't like I didn't know what I was doing and screwed something up. This time, when I got the confirmation, the address was all mixed up - added half of the billing address to the shipping address. I immediately contacted them and was told they didn't see the bad address on their end, and they confirmed the correct shipping address. Six weeks later, the book hasn't arrived, and the order history shows my name and street address with the NZ city, state and postal code. I contacted them again, and they basically said there's nothing they can do about it other than refund the money if the book is returned to them.

shainanh
10/14/18

In the name of free delivery, the book that I ordered never reached the designated address. Upon contacting, they asked me to contact the local post office without naming a single one (I wonder if they air drop to any random company? Won't the company have the ties with at least one post office company?). Apparently because its a free delivery they don't care about it and refused to give me a refund when I emailed them about the problem.
Never going to order from them. Not recommended at all.

kateh132
9/29/18

I read bad reviews but didn't believe the same thing would happen to me. Unfortunately, it did. I ordered a single book back in June and was told it would arrive within ten days. Several months later there's been no sign of it. I attempted to contact customer service. Response was relatively prompt, and they told me it was in New York both times, but the UPS number they gave me seemed to be fake - it didn't work at all. Asked for a refund and received no response. Was originally planning on making a much larger order and now I'm glad I didn't. A complete scam.

sec
9/19/18

Have bought from this company for yrs. Recently bought an old edition of the Brownie handbook. Unfortunately I received an up to date version so reordered. Same thing happened again. When it came to returning the goods I was told I couldn't return them in the UK, I had to return them to Australia at my expense! Turns out a new edition was launched over the summer and they clearly didn't want me to return old stock. They have been using photos of an edition which is many years out of date. I complained to amazon who agreed that this was unfair and refunded me. This is blantant deceit and I would beware of buying from this company again. Interestingly I made a further complaint and was told that I could return the books - to an address less than half an hr from my home!!

highlyh
8/22/18

This dubious, London-based company ( crook heaven) knowingly advertises well-used items as 'new' and when they are found out and confronted about it, they refuse to take the items back so they do not have to pay refunds.
Their stuff obviously are highly trained at customer-contempt and will use every trick in their rotten customer service manual to get-rid of a complaining customer.
AVOID this "company" at all cost or be foolish and order from them.

Tip for consumers: They WILL rip you off !

brandonk76
8/20/18

This is how you do business Book Depository? Where is my stuff? 19 days have past when I 1st place my order on 3rd August 2018. For order number BDU-134-55765177095 totaling up to SGD$149.76. For order number BDU-763-30765978216, I order on 1st August 2018, 21 days have past still no book? My address is correct & I have already checked with my local sorting office, my stuff was not held with them.

What is the point of promising your customers world wide that you can deliver on time when you couldn't? Is this how you do business? I have been going daily to my letter box to open my mail and find my self in disappointment, order 16 books from you guys since 1 August 2018. None of this 16 books arrive at my letter box. You guys are really outrageous company. You guys deserve 0 stars. These books I brought purchase from you all are birthday gifts for my friends and family. In the end book depository can't even delivery my books. I wouldn't recommend to my anyone to use book depository. LOST MY MONEY & LOST MY BOOK.

anniel58
8/20/18

Easy to navigate the website, free and reasonably quick delivery, and the books are always exactly what I expect.

iggyw1
8/14/18

Book Depository sent me the wrong book and had clearly mixed up my order with another customer's; his label was visible beneath mine on the package. I've been trying for several weeks to get either the correct book or a refund, to no avail.

Every time I ask whether the correct book has been sent, I enter the same customer service script where they tell me it was delivered; I explain that it was the wrong book; I answer a series of questions about the title I received, details of the order and the package, and my address; and they promise to send out a replacement, with no indication that they have done so yet. I've repeated this circus three times so far.

I am giving up. The other book I ordered took nearly a month to arrive anyway, and while they blamed USPS, the problem actually seemed to be with their shipping contractor Liberty Express / On Demand Mail Services. Book Depository (now owned by Amazon) seems too much of a mess to bother with again.

They also post fake five-star reviews on Trustpilot. Nasty company with bad-faith fake customer service; not the place I remember ordering books from in past years.

lancem58
8/2/18

Really satisfied with the prices and the books. The shipping time was ok as well. I know that the customer service is supportive

alexm464
6/6/18

Terrible experience with BookDepository when ordering from New Zealand.

My order never turned up and after dealing with an extremely rude customer service team they told me it's my responsibility to talk with our local "post sorting office" to see where it is even though they don't provide you with any tracking number and the NZ Post say there's nothing they can do without a tracking number.

Attempting to get a refund results in more incompetence, and the only option left is to file a chargeback on my credit card.

STAY AWAY.

neila44
4/28/18

read through everyones reviews before purchasing. If your lucky you will get your book. Any issues and your toast. Good luck talking with automated customer responders. pathetic customer service. avoid

nilanjanab
4/21/18

Reference BDU-518-95635686571

On 23rd march 2018 bought 5 books of which only 2 were delivered till 21st April 2018.
Upon contacting customer service they asked me to go check with my local post office and were unable to provide any courier details.
They put the onus of tracing the 3 books - all shipped on seperate dates - on me. absolutely brilliant. this is my first experience with Book Depository website and needless to say the last.

robertt228
3/26/18

Great prices and range. Only problem is that the books take an eternity to reach you. Just be ready for a long wait or order the books with say 4-6 weeks notice.

ericl202
3/21/18

I'm living abroad this year and therefore have to supply both a billing address and a shipping address. Book Depository has a strange design in its website: by default it asks for one's billing address, leaving shipping address as an option (contrary to standard practice of almost all online shopping sites). As a result of this design issue, I made a mistake in having my order shipped to my billing address in the US instead of the correct shipping address in France. I admit that part of this was a result of my not reading the website carefully but I also think book depository is at fault for designing the site against the norm.

I negotiated with them to have the issue addressed. After almost 20 exchanges, during which often I was given generic replies that did not acknowledge my special request (reshipment/refund + suggestion to correct their site design), I was finally contacted by a dispute resolution specialist (a supervisor) who basically told me that they would do nothing. See below.

So basically they just blame their consumers without ever acknowledging their own partial fault.

"This is Dani from Book Depository Resolutions team.

I am afraid this is how our checkout process is designed to make it a quicker process for our customers. I do apologise that this caused an inconvenience to you.

As there was an option during checkout to enter a different delivery address and this has already dispatched to the incorrect address, we cannot take any action until this item is returned. Please allow 5-10 weeks for this to be returned. Once we have received our daily returns they are immediately unpacked and uploaded on to our returns database. We can only recommend that you continue to contact us on a weekly basis to check when and if they are returned.

We apologise that we cannot be of greater assistance at this stage and for any inconvenience caused.
Kind Regards,
Dani,
Resolutions Specialist"

Tip for consumers: Pay a couple of dollars more for better customer service elsewhere.

imrand13
3/6/18

Hi,i made a massive order on my books,and they used my paypal email adress witch is wrong,i contacted them via website and email,gave them the adress the order number,what they did they replied to me giving me instructions how to send the adress and they SHIPPED the order,even tho they knew its the wrong one...im so mad!

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Honestly, no idea, seems like their staff are very untrustworthy I had problems with them before I even ordered something, because they would keep changing what they told me about stock on a book, I wouldnt trust these liars with valuable information like your personal card (have ordered it in the end, but never arrived, they lied about the stock apparently and its gonna be a much longer wait, regretting buying it from here)

By K K.

I always pay with a credit card and I never had any issue whatsoever.

By Micaela O.

Honestly, no idea. I also have them but I fill them again (I don't put my credit card info because I don't want to, and the address it's just filled in because Google remembers it).

By Micaela O.

Questions? Get answers from the BookDepository staff and other customers.

2 Photos for BookDepository