Sitejabber Website Reviews and Complaints

Book Outlet

Book Outlet has a consumer rating of 4.71 stars from 36,712 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Book Outlet most frequently mention great prices, free shipping and fast delivery.Book Outlet ranks 1st among Books Other sites.

This company does not typically respond to reviews

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 93.6%
24,927
1,305

• Every time I have ordered from book outlet, it has always been fast delivery and all great quality books.
  • Always a fabulous shopping experience on Book Outlet!

• Everything proceeded very well except I had a few problems with the payment method.
How would you rate Book Outlet?
Business's Favorite Review

“Five books from Book Outlet”

Hugh P.
8/23/21

I went onsite to order one book! Five books later, and therefore enough spent for free shipping, I completed the order. Very smooth, no problems whatsoever. The books arrived on time and in excellent condition.

See full review

“My only complaint is that a lot of the books are missing...”

Donna C.
6/30/22

My only complaint is that a lot of the books are missing series info. Otherwise great experience. Search works well. Great prices. Free shipping. Selection/availability can be a bit spotty, but that's understandable considering the nature of the business. Orders always arrive quickly and undamaged. Great experience overall. Just wish I didn't have to hit up Google for series information quite so often. But otherwise everything is A+.

Reviews (36,712)

shopping experience (179) love shopping (168) customer service (71) payment method (68) credit card (132) quality books (36)
stane33
May 6th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

Smooth process today. Previous order, identical, quite satisfactory product. I continue to enjoy shopping at bookoutlet dot ca and would recommend. Shopping Cart might be a bit more user foolproof like the latest website incarnations from my bank, internet provider, and a common bigbox online retailer. And don't ask patrons to "submit". Rather "send"is much more euphemistic.

Checkout was somewhat confusing to follow, presently...
March 20th, 2022
• Previous review

Checkout was somewhat confusing to follow, presently with my separate addresses for shipping and billing. I've enjoyed shopping at Book Outlet from-time-to-time over the years.

patriciab2731
September 10th, 2021

If you're looking for deals on books, hardcover, paperback, trade paperback and even library binding then this is the place. Books are overstock from other major booksellers, but are not used copies. Aside from a possibly occasional crimped corner or price sticker these books are in excellent condition. Each book has a small dot on one of the sides of paper to show that it's an overstocked title, but you wont see if when your books are shelved. Ideal for those who love hardcover books but don't want to pay upwards of $40 per title!

donnac1400
June 30th, 2022
• Updated review

Great prices, easy checkout, free shipping
March 25th, 2022
• Previous review

Great prices, easy checkout, free shipping. Couldn't find everything that I was hoping for, but can't really complain for the price.

Appreciate the low prices
February 15th, 2022
• Previous review

Appreciate the low prices. Bummed that one of the sets I wanted to order sold out while I was still shopping, but otherwise everything is great.

Sometimes finding what I'm looking for is not as straight-fo...
January 2nd, 2022
• Previous review

Sometimes finding what I'm looking for is not as straight-forward as I'd like, but can't argue with the prices. Quality of items received is always good. Checkout is fast and easy. Good experience overall.

Sometimes had difficulty finding the right filters/categorie...
April 14th, 2021
• Previous review

Sometimes had difficulty finding the right filters/categories, but good experience overall. Prices are excellent. Couldn't find everything I was looking for, but I wasn't really expecting to. As long as nothing goes wrong with shipping/delivery, I will likely shop here again. (This is my first order from Book Outlet.)

sarahs3312
June 22nd, 2022

I'm so glad I discovered this website last year! There are some super great deals, and the customer support is very friendly and helpful. Thanks for being awesome! :)

Books, journals

helenr573
April 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

You're a Super Dealer with More than Reasonable Prices - AAA-1 (Triple A-1 Gold-Plated) - I Fully Intend to Highly Praise You; in Fact, I Have Recommended You to 1 Other Person Already - i. E. - Within 1 Hour of Finding Out About Your ''Better-than-Wholesale'' Firm and Buying a Hard Cover Book at a ''Read-iculous'' Price as You Put It. Thanks a Million. Sincerely - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Helen (Richard)

amandam1736
May 17th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I absolutely love bookoutlet! There is such a great variety and always awesome sales on top of already low cost books! It's hard to believe we can get books for these prices! I homeschool my 5 year old and therefor her education costs are 100% on me—I am grateful for such an awesome service because this allows us to get lots of educational material without spending full retail—which means more books for us!

I love that I can get amazing discounts on books!
November 12th, 2021
• Previous review

I love that I can get amazing discounts on books! It allows me to find more titles to enjoy.

Love it!
August 24th, 2021
• Previous review

Love it! Great prices and selection!

karenb2628
July 5th, 2021
Verified site experience

Not a fan of the new checkout. I filled in all fields, clicked "manage addresses" and lost everything, had to start all over again. Also, confirming CV after literally JUST filling it in is repetitive and tedious. Prior to your website updates my information was already on my account, but you wiped it so I had to fill everything out again, delaying what was supposed to be a quick and easy order. It was just a hassle and pain in the $#*!.

donnas2921
May 18th, 2022
Verified site experience

Really like the selection and feel there is good value. However, I find myself looking for more ways to filter the selection. I wish there were better sorting options to help navigate the sheer volume of books. Suggest having a way to filter by "Almost Gone" books with less that 10 or less than 5 remaining, filter by "Added Today or in the last week etc (set time window)", filter to include/exclude "Biblical" books genre,

reneeh482
June 17th, 2022

Ordered four books from them at ~~$10 cad a book, one of which was 36 on Amazon so great prices! Only three of the books had the black mark and all small. The shipping estimate kept fluctuating so if you need them asap not ideal but still fairly quick! Took just over a week and I'm fairly remote. Super recommend if you don't mind the black mark on the pages!

hollyb460
November 25th, 2021
Verified site experience

Love some of the changes like the option when checking out to redeem points. Nice breakdown of website! Great prices! Overall an amazing shopping experience and a great way to get people reading at a better cost! Very family oriented and helpful from a financial standpoint after many people have struggled through a pandemic and now are trying to provide a wonderful Christmas for their children!

nicolef974
March 29th, 2022
Verified site experience

Easy to find what I like, checkout and get my goodies delivered! Also after many orders I'm amazed at the quality I get for the price (even got a signed book once). I only had a quality issue with one book out of dozens and all it took was a quick chat with customer service and a replacement was promptly sent!
Thank you Book Outlet for allowing me to build a great library for my littles while sticking to a budget!

rh701
April 28th, 2022

Book outlet is one of those things that seems to good to be true, but it's actually not. I've placed 3 orders at this site and bought many hundreds of dollars worth of books for maybe $100 at most. Most of the books are basically in the same condition that you would get if you ordered it new from amazon, except sometimes with a few black marks on the edge. The deals are honestly amazing and i can't believe so few people seem to know about this hidden gem of a website

kristinag147
April 3rd, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I love Book outlet! The selection of books is amazing! Thanks to BO, we discovered so many new authors and titles that you wont find in local book stores or library! We have been supporting Book Outlet for over 4 years and it has been a life saver since covid hit 2 years ago. Reading to my kids has become the most beautiful tradition and even though kids are 13 and 15, this is the great bonding moment.

Great selection of books!
March 27th, 2022
• Previous review
Great selection of books! This website is so easy to...
January 17th, 2022
• Previous review

Great selection of books! This website is so easy to navigate!

Lots of great books at affordable price!
August 5th, 2021
prakrutip1
July 17th, 2021
Verified site experience

This is my first order! Hope I will get the books on time and good condition for my daughter's summer time. I found the site good and also wish that this site can add more books at low prices for parents. Only one thing I am not sure is there any free returns or not? Hope I don't have to return anything because I love the titles. Please put more description about books so parents can see how many pages and front and back pictures of books at least.

ninag182
June 10th, 2022
Verified purchase

I hardly believe it but I've "been in love" with Bookoutlet for 12 yrs... and sung its praises wherever I can. Superb and caring customer service, the jolt of joy at seeing a covetted book now within my price range and the super fast shipping (once a book needed replacing and it was immediately) have kept me reading, thinking, mulling and enjoying life more. No small feat for a bookstore! You changed my life - book by book.

Kind, understanding, quick resolution in one phone call.

Reason I chose this business:

Canadian + affordable

taylera10
August 13th, 2021
Verified purchase

Excellent prices, can't be beat. Great quality books and a good selection. Lots of options for educational tools for children too. Will shop here again. 10/10

Books

mayac85
June 11th, 2022
Verified purchase

Only paid $150 for 19 books. My inner dragon was very happy to see my hoard grow. Only two came in slightly damaged (one had about 5-7 pages with small tears at the bottom, didn't impact readability, the other was slightly warped so I sandwiched it). Great quality otherwise, and definitely worth it for the price.

evelyns266
June 26th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I love your merchandise and service. It has helped me try to stay sane during the pandemic - I am still unable to enter stores due to health and age issues, despite being fully vaccinated. Thanks so much - I look forward to getting the shipment as soon as possible - it will lift my spirits immensely. Please keep safe.

I thank you for your great selection of books and excellent...
January 17th, 2022
• Previous review

I thank you for your great selection of books and excellent service. Some of the books in this new order are for a birthday gift at the end of January. I am hoping this order will come as quickly as other orders have come in the past. Stay safe.

Couldn't log in
November 24th, 2021
• Previous review

Couldn't log in - must be lots of traffic

Book Outlet keeps me calmer during the pandemic!
April 18th, 2021
theressae1
October 11th, 2021

My son still enjoys illustrations with his reading, so Big Nate's story series works out nicely.
Be sure it's the books with numbers on them.
Great deal that book outlet offered!

margaretl1005
March 5th, 2022
Verified site experience
• Updated review

I've ordered a few times now, very happy with my packages, only complaint is the limited selection when looking for certain authors... but I realize its due to what's available from where you receive your books, I just have to keep checking, which in itself is great, too. I do like the suggestions that 'other people also purchased' when selecting a title, as it sends me down the rabbit hole for other good finds. :)

Had issues entering cc info
January 15th, 2022
jonm612
July 7th, 2021

The website was easy to navigate and had many price options. Shipping was also done quickly and came sooner than I expected which made an overall great experience. Thanks :)

a book

angelae597
July 7th, 2021
Verified site experience

I love shopping on this website! I always find great deals, and promotions. Thank you! I am a horror/fantasy/fiction fan, I do sometimes think your lacking selection, but i look at it like im going to my local second hand store, you never know what your going to get! Plus, the prices here are almost the same as there

peterw1442
May 16th, 2022
Verified purchase

This is the young readers edition of "1491" by Charles C. Mann.
A profusely illustrated and very readable book for anyone, not just the 8 to 12 group, interested in how people, Aztec, Maya, Olmec, Inca and other people
of the Americas lived before European contact in 1492.
I am reading it avidly before I give it to my grandchildren!
Some amazing recent discoveries are revealed.

Reason I chose this business:

I have bought books from Book Outlet before and have found the editions to be top quality and a fraction of bookstore prices even with postage.
Buy a certain amount of books and the shipping is free!

Reason I chose this product:

The children's edition of 1491 offered by Book Outlet was where I looked after I found our local library's copy had 14 "holds"!
A sure sign the book is worth reading and in this case keeping.

jennl117
April 25th, 2022

This is absolutely my favorite site to order books from. The prices are fantastic, the sales are always amazing, and the selection of books are incredible. I order for myself and my son, as well as regular orders for his schools library. The shipping is free for most of my orders, and when they aren't free the shipping cost is very reasonable. I highly recommend book outlet!

Tip for consumers:
You get points for each order that can be redeemed for $ off future purchases, but I always forget to use mine!

Products used:
Many novels, non fiction books, activity books for young learning, etc

tanyab341
September 11th, 2021
Verified purchase

I ordered a copy of The Complete Anne of Green Gables from Book Outlet and sadly when it arrived the box and first book were damaged. I reached out to their customer service team to report the damage and see what they could do, and they offered to replace the entire set free of charge.

The team members I spoke with were kind and expedient and the new set arrived just the other day, in perfect condition. It's now the crown jewel of my collection.

Products used:
The Complete Anne of Green Gables, published by Virago Press UK.

How to summit a book to the book outlet, i am a writer and sell at amazon

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Book Outlet staff and other customers.

Book Outlet’s core purpose is Enchanting the Mind - one book at a time! We're passionate about making reading affordable and are happy to offer a large selection of new bargain books for up to 90% off the original list price -- along with the availability of free standard shipping on orders within the US and Canada.

Our parent company has been recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation in 2021.

Business History

The roots of Book Outlet go back to the year 1985 and the entrepreneurial vision of John Hultink, our company’s founder.

John is one of five brothers who, together with his parents, immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands shortly after World War II, seeking a better life across the Atlantic. Like many immigrant families, those early years were not easy but that struggle had a pivotal influence on the roots of our company.

John’s passion for books and his entrepreneurial drive began well before 1985, going back to the early 1970s when he founded a small publishing company that translated Dutch books into English. These books appealed to many immigrant families across Canada who wanted their children to have the same experiences they had grown to know and love as children.

After witnessing the impact that books had in the lives of immigrant families, John was determined to make books accessible to all families across the globe by offering them at affordable prices - and that was the beginning of Book Outlet!

Since 1997, Book Outlet has evolved both as a business and a brand. Our community of bargain book lovers continues to grow daily and we have a tireless desire to dream big, innovate and provide our customers with the best possible experience.

We recognize that as a company, we are only as good as our people. That is why it has been a goal of ours to build a company culture that fuels curiosity, creativity and sustainable growth. In 2021, we were recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation.

booko
Jennifer B.
Book Outlet Customer Experience
Typically does not respond to reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Book Outlet?

Have a question about Book Outlet?