Sitejabber Website Reviews and Complaints

Book Outlet

Book Outlet has a consumer rating of 4.69 stars from 15,151 reviews indicating that most customers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Consumers satisfied with Book Outlet most frequently mention great prices, free shipping and credit card. Book Outlet ranks 1st among Books Other sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 93.5%
14,082

• Every time I have ordered from book outlet, it has always been fast delivery and all great quality books.
  • Always a fabulous shopping experience on Book Outlet!

• Everything proceeded very well except I had a few problems with the payment method.
How would you rate Book Outlet?
Business's Favorite Review

“I have been buying for almost a year”

Rowan A.
4/15/21

I have been buying for almost a year. I add to the basket on a regular basis. I get so excited when new books are added. My children think it's Christmas when we open the box! I'm buying lots today to tide us over the summer holidays. I bought crafts and puzzles and flash cards and some of their favourite authors. Brilliant!

See full review

“My New Go To Bookstore”

Jaci C.
6/18/21

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the end of my transaction; there were no instructions, so I kept moving up & down the site to see where I could click on that my order was finished. Other than that, it was ok. I received the 10 books I ordered 4 days later. Incredibly fast turn around time. All books were in mint condition. Great prices, great service. I will definitely be a repeat customer. I'm so glad to have found Book Outlet which is a Canadian book seller. Thank you.

Reviews (15,151)

shopping experience (0) love shopping (0) customer service (0) payment method (0) credit card (0) quality books (0)
helenr573
April 23rd, 2021
Verified site experience

You're a Super Dealer with More than Reasonable Prices - AAA-1 (Triple A-1 Gold-Plated) - I Fully Intend to Highly Praise You; in Fact, I Have Recommended You to 1 Other Person Already - i. E. - Within 1 Hour of Finding Out About Your ''Better-than-Wholesale'' Firm and Buying a Hard Cover Book at a ''Read-iculous'' Price as You Put It. Thanks a Million. Sincerely - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Helen (Richard)

jacic11
June 18th, 2021

Reason I chose this business:

I was really interested in finding a Canadian company to do business with. It’s great to do business in Canadian dollars. Great to have books shipped from within Canada, less time or holdups at the border.
So glad Book Outlet came up on my google search.

It was difficult for me to realize how to effect the...
June 13th, 2021

prakrutip1
July 17th, 2021
Verified site experience

This is my first order! Hope I will get the books on time and good condition for my daughter's summer time. I found the site good and also wish that this site can add more books at low prices for parents. Only one thing I am not sure is there any free returns or not? Hope I don't have to return anything because I love the titles. Please put more description about books so parents can see how many pages and front and back pictures of books at least.

jonm612
July 7th, 2021

The website was easy to navigate and had many price options. Shipping was also done quickly and came sooner than I expected which made an overall great experience. Thanks :)

Products used:
a book

paulf997
June 2nd, 2021
Verified site experience

I love shopping on Bookoutlet! So many great deals. My only real suggestion would be to add a feature that shows when we've already purchased a book. As somebody who reads a lot and purchases in bulk, I've accidentally bought a second copy of books from the site before and dislike having to go through all past orders to double check if I've already bought said book.

evelyne54
October 26th, 2020
anatf1
July 2nd, 2021
Verified purchase
• Updated review

I only recently discovered Book Outlet while browsing the web, and they quickly became my new favourite book store. Their selection of titles is somewhat limited compared to other online stores. However, you can find some awesome books there, and they have great deals, great prices, and outstanding delivery. I highly recommend Book Outlet to any book lover out there - a great shopping experience!

Reason I chose this business:

Great prices. Great deals. Great delivery. And proudly Canadian!

Great shopping experience and great prices
June 26th, 2021
scotto389
June 19th, 2021
Verified site experience

It's always great. I actually only hopped on here to buy one book in hopes of getting a new bookmark for my young nephew. My last order came with a cool one he could colour - and he uses it all the time. But unfortunately, his little brother just destroyed it. So I told him I'd buy another book in hopes of it coming with the "colouring" bookmark. 4 books later... LOL. Prices are cheap and shopping is so simple. I always buy more than planned.: P

amanday325
March 26th, 2021
Verified site experience

Always fun to look around in different categories... you never know what you'll find!

danielc2422
May 14th, 2021
Verified site experience

Don't like how you setup auto-pay with paypal - customer should be given an option.

More details about the books would also be appreciated. I have to look up every book manually on Amazon since page count is often not populated and there are no details other than a smallish front cover. Consider moving book size higher on the page so I don't need to scroll down - this is probably a non-issue for certain genres, but for kids books it is important.

janetu264
July 2nd, 2021
Verified purchase
• Updated review

When ordering on-line once, I discovered Book Outlet and was both surprised and delighted by the price. It got even better when I realized that they were Canadian and located in my Province.
The books are received in excellent condition… they are all new! Title choices great and when they didn't have one title, offered to put me on a wish list and notify me when they receive it. Again, what service!

Excellent!

Price and service.

After the first one, this was easy!
April 3rd, 2021
• Previous review

After the first one, this was easy!
Question: I want to give books as gifts. Are there any Markings in the books indicating that they are discounted?

marjoriel62
July 20th, 2021
Verified purchase
• Updated review

Book Outlet definitely saves money. While I cannot find every book there, I do find "zillions." When I did not receive an order--during Covid--Book Outlet refunded my money, telling me to keep the books if they did ever arrive. And they did... likely they had been hung up in some postal warehouse for months. With their quick response and desire to meet customer needs, I will continue to purchase from Book Outlet. They also have good rewards, interesting surveys, and really encourage a love of reading.

I already did in previous comment, so I won't force you to read it again.

Reason I chose this business:

Initially, it was a random find. Since using it, my experience has been 100%... maybe 110%--positive!

I love Book Outlet
April 18th, 2021
• Previous review

I love Book Outlet. I appreciate the prices and the range of books.

karenb2628
July 5th, 2021
Verified site experience

Not a fan of the new checkout. I filled in all fields, clicked "manage addresses" and lost everything, had to start all over again. Also, confirming CV after literally JUST filling it in is repetitive and tedious. Prior to your website updates my information was already on my account, but you wiped it so I had to fill everything out again, delaying what was supposed to be a quick and easy order. It was just a hassle and pain in the ass.

samanthay66
June 30th, 2021

Love ordering from the book outlet. They also have a local store (which I highly recommend) my only complaint would be not having full series in stock.

carlam428
June 28th, 2021
Verified purchase

The price of the entire, huge stack of books I just bought for my children (and, okay, myself) was so low that I literally covered it with the proceeds from a yard sale. This also means that after this winter, when we've read our way through the stack, we'll be able to hold on to our favourites and find new homes for the rest without worrying that we "wasted money" on the ones we don't keep.

Reason I chose this business:

My entire family are avid readers, and I was looking for an inexpensive way to try different authors and genres.

andyl419
June 24th, 2021
Verified purchase

Quick delivery and excellent price as always. Although the bulk of my orders have often been in great no-questions-at-all quality, this order around I had one book with a back cover that was almost falling off because a boxcutter had gotten to it (probably why it was at Book Outlet to begin with) and another photo album with pages that weren't completely flat. Again, minor issues, but still things any buyer should be ready for.

Reason I chose this business:

Great price and reduces environmental impact of books being tossed out by large retailers.

yvonney69
June 26th, 2021

Wide range of valuable books/paper goods at affordable price. Bookoutlet is my go to place for good books hunt!

erins546
July 9th, 2021

I have placed about four or five orders on book outlet now and I have never been disappointed. The orders ship in a timely manner and everything I receive is in excellent condition. My favourite place to order books from. There are always sales happening and I find it's easy to reach the $45 and get free shipping.

angelae597
July 7th, 2021
Verified site experience

I love shopping on this website! I always find great deals, and promotions. Thank you! I am a horror/fantasy/fiction fan, I do sometimes think your lacking selection, but i look at it like im going to my local second hand store, you never know what your going to get! Plus, the prices here are almost the same as there

krystad2
March 31st, 2021
Verified site experience

I LOVE Book Outlet! In fact, I love it a little too much and am quickly running out of shelf space. There are so many great books available at amazing prices and I've easily been able to build up entire book series for my kids for a fraction of the regular price. Where else can you get hardcover books often for as low as $4? Book Outlet is THE place to shop!

claudeena
April 1st, 2021
Verified site experience

Each order has a book or 2 that is totally unreadable (pages blurred, book upside down in binding. Hard to return or exchange. I am not very tech savvy and I don't know how to send pictures to show damage. For example, Design Sponge by Grace Bonney which I bought as a coffee table book came damaged as if it was dropped on all the corners. You can see the cardboard of the cover. Obviously I can, t use this as a coffee table book. I have to buy it again. Also sometimes tickets just get deleted without a response.

vanessab361
May 8th, 2021
Verified site experience

It was good and hard to decide which books to get because there are so many. Unfortunately they did not let me use my 10$ coupon I got from my friend for creating an account, and I didn't have time to create a coupon because some of my books were selling out quickly. I wish they would have let me use my coupon so I could have got the other books I was going to buy with my budget. But I was very happy to find such good books.

maryn926
June 21st, 2021
Verified purchase

I was having difficulty competing my order at the payment stage. After several tries and even logging off at one point, I decided to try again. Thankfully the order was still there. I tried the steps for payment and again ran into a roadblock. I called customer service who explained what to do in a most calm and friendly manner. We completed the order together and now I have received my box of goodies! Thank you for your good service.

i have describe the experience in the previous section.

Reason I chose this business:

I like the value that one gets and the variety of books available.

siriusp
June 16th, 2021
Verified purchase

I was very pleased with bookoutlet's pricing, updates, and the quality of the books received. They weren't as new, but i wasn't expecting them to be. The only issue i had was one with shipping (the package was not at my building the day bookoutlet's site and the canadapost shipping site said it was, rather, the next day), but i don't think that's their fault. I ordered 4 books— 3 for myself and 1 for a friend— and am very pleased overall. Would recommend!

The cheap prices.

jasminad3
April 13th, 2021
Verified purchase
• Updated review

Had 2 gift certificates of $5, from rewards, and was able to redeem only 1.
Also prefer paying using PayPal but BookOutlet wants to store my PayPal info for automatic payments. I have never encountered that with purchases online hence ended up using a card I don't normally use for other purchases. Not happy that I as the consumer do not get a choice of whether I would like to store my card with you or not! I do NOT mind at all typing it in each time, rather than having it "safe" with online merchandisers.

Had 2 gift certificates of $5, from rewards, and was...
May 12th, 2021
• Previous review

Had 2 gift certificates of $5, from rewards, and was able to redeem only 1.

* Book Outlet attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Book Outlet staff and other customers.

Book Outlet’s core purpose is Enchanting the Mind - one book at a time! We're passionate about making reading affordable, and are happy to offer a large selection of new bargain books for up to 90% off original list price -- along with free standard shipping on orders over $45 CAD!

We have been recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation in 2021.

Business History

The roots of Book Outlet go back to the year 1985 and the entrepreneurial vision of John Hultink, our company’s founder.

John is one of five brothers who, together with his parents, immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands shortly after World War II, seeking a better life across the Atlantic. Like many immigrant families, those early years were not easy but that struggle had a pivotal influence on the roots of our company.

John’s passion for books and his entrepreneurial drive began well before 1985, going back to the early 1970s when he founded a small publishing company that translated Dutch books into English. These books appealed to many immigrant families across Canada who wanted their children to have the same experiences they had grown to know and love as children.

After witnessing the impact that books had in the lives of immigrant families, John was determined to make books accessible to all families across the globe by offering them at affordable prices - and that was the beginning of Book Outlet!

Since the early 1970s, Book Outlet has evolved both as a business and a brand. Our community of bargain book lovers continues to grow daily and we have a tireless desire to dream big, innovate and provide our customers with the best possible experience.

We recognize that as a company, we are only as good as our people. That is why it has been a goal of ours to build a company culture that fuels curiosity, creativity and sustainable growth. In 2021, we were recognized for overall business performance and sustained growth with the prestigious Canada’s Best Managed Companies designation.

booko
Jennifer B.
Book Outlet Customer Experience
Typically responds within 2 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Book Outlet?

Have a question about Book Outlet?