Review of Autotrader

brian.gluckman@autotrader.com
2017 Customer choice award

joannek80
12/21/18

Don't be fooled by Colin and his sons' initial pleasantries. They are very dishonest and once you have paid, they are rude and aggressive, in the end I couldn't even speak to them as their manner was so aggressive, I was both upset and scared. Colin also threatened my local garage with violence after they called for payment of repair, he had agreed with them he would pay he refused to pay of course once the work was done.

I bought a £28500 car from Colin at GT Performance earlier this year (Which to me is an awful lot of money). Initially Colin couldn't have been friendlier more helpful, that was up until the point id paid him.

Where to start:
As part of the sales agreement Colin agreed to have a full service done. The MOT had also expired so this needed to be done He lied as on taking the car immediately to my regular local garage none of the filters had been changed, no oil change etc etc. I asked Colin for the service paperwork which he kept promising but never delivered as it clearly hadn't been done. I actually drove away with the car on collection (Kent to London) to realise on the motorway the wing mirrors were loose and kept dropping down and the front window water spray was broken so I couldn't clear the window screen which made my drive home in my new car both unpleasant and dangerous (What should have been an exciting and pleasurable experience). I'm not sure how the car was in this condition after apparently a full MOT and Service had been done prior to me collecting the car as it was unsafe.

Only after payment and being given the keys where we to discover:
No logbook (I did get photocopies of the service history which he had got from Landover)
No Manual
No Spare Key
No Petrol Cap Key

Shortly later we discovered:
Dent in the front side of the car which had been sprayed over
Heated seats don't work, and general heating doesn't work properly
Leaking windows to the point the seatbelts are soaking when it rains and also you get wet when putting it through the car wash

After a lot of back and forth I took the car back to Kent (an 80-mile round trip). Colin had said he would send somebody to collect it to sort out the issues, but he kept cancelling and then told me I had to take it back myself. He said it would be a few days and he would have somebody deliver it back to me in London, a week later I had to chase and he was only just looking at it and my boyfriend had to go back to Kent to collect it as he said he had no driver to bring it back to me (I wouldn't go as I found his behaviour had become increasingly rude and intimidating). He fixed nothing just giving excuse after excuse, he said he had fixed the window seal, but it still just leaked as my boyfriend checked it whilst there with Colin. He agreed with my local garage he would cover the cost for them to fix the leak, so we didn't have to drive back to Kent again. My garage later called him for payment and Colin refused to pay and threatened him with violence. Subsequently I had to pay my local garage.

What should have been such a treat buying a car turned into an absolute nightmare. I have been unable to rectify most of the issues and am now sure to lose a lot of money on the vehicle. I really don't know how this business is getting away with this dishonest and aggressive behaviour, especially threatening people that they will be beaten up by his Albanian friends.

Be very careful dealing with these people

louisek52
12/10/18

I have only positive experience to share using autotrader when buying my car. I have received an amazing service of keithsteven @autioneer .net dedicated a lot of time to me. We did 5 auctions before I was able to get the exact car for $10500 below my anticipated budget.thank you Keith

drewl32
11/17/18

I love the site for buying and for advice, but as a private seller, it was a waste of money. I listed my 2006 Accord with a competitive price (mid 4 figures), and yet in 1 month of listing I got exactly 1 message, and the prospective buyer never responded. All the people who were interested in the car, and ultimately its buyer, came from Craigslist.

The dumbest and most offensive thing is that the site - which is all about paying a fair sum to list your ad - doesn't support LINE FEEDS. (That is the Enter/Return key.) Yup that's right, you pay good money to have your detailed ad turned into a jumble that makes you look disorganized and crude.

BTW this review is essentially identical to my cars.com review - because they proved to be identical. Same price to post, same exact near-zero traffic, and same problem with line feeds. At least cars.com includes a Carfax report.

christianr84
11/14/18

Open review to all Pacific Coast Roadsters owners. It's hard enough to sell your car. It's even worst when you have fake Pacific Coast Roadsters in your listings. Their are 5 in your group that are not. I E-Mailed Auto Trader 40 times asking them to remove cars that are not P.C.Roadsters. If a P.C.Roadster is for sale it should have a 63 in the Vin. #. Also they all came in Monterrey Mist green only. they also have a number stamped in the glove compartment. Please complain to Auto Trader and tell them to remove those cars.

timv65
10/30/18

I believe they are doing a great job already but it will be far better if they could add a most recent option to the sorting option when searching for cars? So that buyers can see vehicles according to how recent the lists are.

johnnyb111
8/14/18

I always can look in autotrader & find the right price for the car im looking for. I use auto trader to get an idea what my vehicle is worth by comparing similar models.

geofff15
8/4/18

I had to write this. Purchased vehicles in both US & CDN on websites but never been on a website as bad as this one, here are my complaints:
1. Setting parameters will only work once and will reset to defaults when you press "back to search results"
2. Very very slow downloading vehicles of interest because it's downloading all the advertising slots it sells to car dealers who think people will read them.
3. After setting search parameters, it found 25 vechicles, but after 45 minutes, I could only view 2 vechicles. That's right, only 2 and I have the fastest internet speed money can buy! But, I had to give up after 2 vehicles because it would take 24 hours to review 25 cars.
There is a reason why we all rate this site so terrible......IT SUCKS!

elisabethm1
6/8/18

Horrible website! I get internal error pages when I search in my zipcode for BMWs. Increasing search radius....good luck! I havent figured it out after 10 mins, getting 3 internal error pages instead. Even their survey to improve the website, an annoying pop up, does not function, I clicked on text me, site went back to the initial search page. Highly frustrating. Result? I move on because I cant find your car that you paid to advertise..

billb422
6/1/18

One of the worst websites I have ever usedstay away! Functions were impossible to find and the site was completely disorganized. Just awful!

lyndas54
5/8/18

Have nothing to do with Autotrader, their customer services is a disgrace. Informed me of impending large price increase of advertising which I rang up about either to cancel package or re negotiate. Package was agreed at approx £211 and order confirmation sent out, then they send an invoice for £350 declaring that re-negotiation did not take in the new price increases which I specifically re-negotiated on, then they have a cheek to insist on a 30 day cancellation period. Stay away, they would charge for the air your breathe if they could and the response from their advertising is poor.

ands4
3/27/18

They advertise cars for you, but sick there noses into car values with out the knowledge, If you try to get a value of a car on there website - it comes back they do not know the car - very one way for trade - don't think they will show this review either

mikem196
3/26/18

I am in the market for a used truck. Attempting to find one online was an issue since every site once you have designed your query wants your email address, phone, etc so some salesman can call you. However, I found a great site Autotrader.com. You can design your search, save it and view at your leisure, refining criteria as needed. If you are in the market for a Used or New vehicle check out autotrader.

johnr568
3/25/18

Simple to use website for placing as well as editing your car ad. Super worldwide exposure. My DeLorean sold to a gentleman from Japan! Simply amazing.

mellissat
3/16/18

My uncle recently made a deal here. Customer support is too good and we got a awesome deal which made my uncle to sign immediately :)

joes765
3/14/18

AFTER I paid, autotrader disclosed the STANDARD DELAY for the paid posting. Later I edited my ad = EDIT did NOT show on "view live ad."
Called "customer service," and asked why new, lowered, price was not showing on my ad (SHE ASKED for my ad # and security question), I was told the edit takes 24 to 48h to show = First, that DELAY is not the service advertised. Second, there is no need for security protocol TO ANSWER MY QUESTION AS TO WHY my edit not showing. Finally, there is NO CONFIRMATION NUMBER for CANCELING my ad &getting a REFUND (just have to depend on the "put out" attitude of the customer service rep). Car was on autotrader ~3days (this review is not about selling or not selling my car; it's about the customer service = 2 thumbs DOWN!

henryc106
3/3/18

I was advertising 20 cars for 2 months, and i just receive one real call from a customer looking for a car, and a lot of calls from scammer, i paid more than $1,000.00, and now they have me in collection for $150.00, try to be away of this worst place for advertising.

brianw190
1/30/18

When doing a search for Hummer H2 I found an article on Autotrader. The author " Doug DeMuro" titled his article The Most Embarrassing Car You Can Buy. He goes on to pass judgement on anyone who would buy a H2. Kind of ironic Autotrader advertises a lot of H2s for sale but that wasnt what made me give the site a 1 star. The article by Doug DeMuro flat out lies about the Hummer to make his point. He claims the car can't go 65 miles an hour which is laughable. I do drive a H2 and cruise easily at 80 mph when traveling. He goes on to list several other untruths. Its really shocking Autotrader would allow such a misleading article to remain on their site. Ive used Autotrader many times over the past 15 years but no more!

marions43
10/4/17

I advertised on autotrader.com for several weeks. Did not receive one legit call but did get lots of SCAMMERS calling. I wasted my money....don't waste yours. I did sell it buy using an old fashion FOR SALE

lisah338
10/3/17

Paul Jeffers recently sold me my BMW 1 series and his care and attention to getting every last little detail in order was priceless. If only everyone paid the same unique customer satisfaction as Paul did getting a new car would be a breeze. Strongly advise people to go and see Paul Jeffers at Motor Range and he will go the full mile and then some to find you exactly what you need. A sterling performance Paul thanks for everything.
Lisa Haworth

karim205
8/12/17

Before my ad was even posted, I was receiving nefarious texts in regards to it. That tells me Autotrader is selling their phone list in real time! How can you post concerns about all the bad things to look out for and then totally facilitate criminal access to your client records? If this were a free service, I wouldn't have been so surprised. People pay for the service, don't sell their information!

jims284
8/4/17

I have a car to get rid of and used Autotrader to get bids from local dealers. Instead what I get is a ridiculous low price offer and solicitations from dealers to buy a new car. Don't waste your time with this bogus service. Just go to the dealerships with your car and haggle a deal.

donnac181
7/25/17

Really disappointed ~ I paid extra for better placement and visibility. My sale price was within Kelly Bluebook but I didn't get one nibble, not one. Would never pay for this service again. $120 down the drain. Very disappointed.

michaeld314
7/1/17

I had been looking for a 2017 Chevrolet truck for several weeks now. I had been in contact with Schmitt Chevrolet over the last several days negotiating the price on a blue 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 stock number 29440, on a Friday. On the next day, Saturday I checked the online price and it was $33,607. So I contacted the dealership and spoke with both the internet sales consultant, Angela and the salesman, Brent. Brent confirmed the internet price was correct. I asked to give a deposit to buy the truck of which Brent said he would call me right back. Two hours laters I had not yet received a call so I contacted the dealership and spoke with the sales manager and was told the truck was now at $37,000+ and he would not sell the truck to me at the advertised price of $33,607. Really???

How can Schmitt Chevrolet dealership advertise a new truck for $33,607 and tell the customer " sorry the truck is now $37,000+"?? I feel totally strung along on the sale and taken advantage of!!! Over the last 20 years I have purchased 5 GM new pick up trucks! I have never been treated like this before from a dealer. I would strongly recommend.....BUYER BEWARE.....stay away from this dealership!!!! Would you want to be treated like this. It is obvious they use the old sales tactic "hook...line...sinker".

Buyer....you may consider NOT a GM automobile!!!!!

kateg46
4/28/17

I have recently purchased Toyota Urban Cruiser from R.C. Woods. I have received great service from the start to an end, The vehicle was as described, low mileage, good condition, great value. Most importantly, the company demonstrates excellent customer service by being helpful, professional, honest providing a spotless service!

I recommend this company to everyone!

danw103
3/14/17

BEWARE, Auto Imports Inc. or AKA Gold Rush Remarketing sold me a Corvette with a broke motor, I got ripped off from these guys, Alex and Fred will gladly take your hard earned money and sell you anything, I was told the Corvette had no mechanical problems, 4 hours after they had my money the service engine light came on, to my horror it was only running on 7 of 8 cylinders, they flat out lied to my face! They obviously reset the codes prior to me coming; they knew I was coming for the Corvette. NO bringing it back, no trading it for something else, they dont care a sale is a sale, youre stuck like Chuck! My advice to you is buy from anyone but these guys, they will misrepresent their vehicles just to make a sale, if youre looking for a make and model go shop elsewhere unless you want ripped off, dont even drive by, youll thank me later, biggest con in Houston used cars is Alex and Fred at Gold Rush, Auto imports Inc. on the gulf freeway near Hobby airport, you have been warned, BEWARE!!!! Shop elsewhere, youll be glad you did! They are DISHONEST!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: Stay far, very far away from this Houston dishonest car dealer!

49 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the Autotrader staff and other customers.

1 Photo for Autotrader