Authorize

Authorize has a consumer rating of 1.33 stars from 91 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Authorize most frequently mention customer service, bank account and credit card problems. Authorize ranks 36th among Payment Gateway sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 16.7%

No positive highlights yet

• I had to ask over and over to cancel my merchant account.
  • Customer service has left me on hold for over an hour and are extremely rude.
How would you rate Authorize?

“Reliable service since 2002”

Sara M.
9/21/20

We have been using authorize.net on our website since 2002. I have always had a wonderful experience with the people that I work with there. Additionally for our customers, they provide comfort that their information will be safe... with one of THE most secure platforms around.

“Horrible experience”

Nicholas G.
5/26/20

We had an absolutely horrible experience with using this company as our payment processor. Not only are they horribly mismanaged and unorganized but they constantly tried to sneak in additional fees hoping we would not catch them. Even after realizing what was going on and calling them out on it and going through fee negotiations, they still tried to sneak in fees that were explicitly against the agreement we made. I don't think we could have had any worse of an experience with this company.

merchant account (10) customer service (16) bank account (11)
nicholasg160
May 26th, 2020

omarb114
May 19th, 2021

Stay away from this company. Do not send any of your information to them! They will open an account using that information and perform monthly unauthorized transactions! When I became aware I called them to close the account out, and they agreed to refund money back months ago and still haven't done so!

Tip for consumers:
Stay away from this company. Do not send any of your information to them!! They will open an account using that information and perform monthly unauthorized transactions!!! When I became aware I called them to close the account out, and they agreed to refund money back months ago and still haven’t done so!!!

SCAM COMPANY

alexd462
May 2nd, 2020

This site looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years. It's hard to use, and they put the wrong category for my business on the customer statements. They said it's coming from Chase/Paymentech, but I called Chase, and they told me it's coming from Authorize.net because it is correct in their system.

If you want to pass the name on the card, you have to use two fields for first and last names. You cannot use one full name field like Amazon does, for example. Internally we use only one field because we sell to different countries and one field is much easier for our customers who are not in the U.S.

Their customer service is terrible as well. I was trying to enable the PayPal option, but it gave me an error. I opened a case, and they just closed it after two weeks and said they have no estimate when it will be fixed. They also said they escalated it to an engineer and asked me for my login names, but 6 months later it is still not fixed! I even posted it on their community board, but received no reply from anyone. I did not really wait for them and integrated PayPal directly without Authorize.net, and it works fine.

Also their SDK is old. It does not work with. NET Core. They uploaded a beta release 4 years ago, which no longer works, and they never bothered to update it. They literally said they will support it and then never updated it or even replied to any one asking if update is coming.

I am considering moving to Stripe or another service that's more up-to-date and easier to use.

saram643
September 21st, 2020

vardenh
January 26th, 2021

Authorize.net has been holding $8097 in customer payments for more than 56 days and refuses to release the funds to me for 90 days. All customers have had the funds withdrawn from their accounts and have signed written agreements to have the funds transferred via ACH. I have never had one customer cancel a check or credit card payment, and I have excellent credit. I've already paid for and shipped all the products to the customers, and they're satisfied with the products.

This is a painful dent in my small business cash flow. Business is hard enough without someone suddenly keeping your money for 90 days!

I first signed up for authorize.net as a payment gateway because I needed both credit card and ACH echeck services. I entered the first customer check payments as instructed, and the funds were withdrawn from the customers' bank accounts.

Then authorize refused to give the money to me and said it was on hold for 30 days. I asked if there was a problem with the customers banks being able to pay, and they said no. I double-checked with the customers and they confirmed the funds had been withdrawn from their accounts and they were satisfied with my products.

After 40 days, I checked with authorize and they said authorize was now keeping my money for 90 days. Still no explanation or justification. I sent written signed agreements from each of the customers showing they had agreed to have the funds withdrawn from their accounts.

Getting desperate because of this painful dent in my cash flow, I called and emailed support, involved my payment processor and asked my bank for help. Each time, was told the funds remain on hold for 90 days.

It's now been 56 days and I still have not received my first three customer payments via check totaling $8097.

Thankfully, I've found another gateway and payment processor and will avoid authorize.net like the plague.

Tip for consumers:
Avoid it like the plague. If you like to keep your own money, this is the wrong financial company to deal with.

Payment gateway processing

stevew69
August 29th, 2013

Feels extremely dated. Before the paradigm of trying to make things nice and easy for developers. Works great though once you have it set up.

carolync96
January 9th, 2018

Authorize.net made it easy for Pampered Whiskers to accept payments on our BigCommerce website. Every time I have reached out to their customer service team, they have been very helpful. Each time I have called, I am able to get a live person within less than a minute. They are very efficient and empathetic. I would highly recommend authorize.net.

pauld1584
March 13th, 2021

I have had an authorize.net account for over 15 years. In business for the same duration. I recently signed up for e-check services to give my customers the choice the use their routing and bank info to make payments. After review they approved my request. I processed one charge for $ 1000. 00. I waited 7 days and the funds were not deposited in my account. I called them, and they told me to continue to process payments so that they could see regular activity and the funds would be deposited in 7 days. I processed another $ 4000. 00 in charges. Then they sent me an email cancelling my e-check account, no warning or explanation. Told me to email them in 90 days to ask to get my money back... called them. They underwriters are arrogant, rude, self serving, and clearly could care less. As a small business owner during Covid I need those funds. I have already provided my services to my customers, yet now have to wait 90 days, with no interest to get MY MONEY. This is a sleezy company that you should stay away from. I have also contacted my states district attorney to look into their practices. They are criminals

melj9
February 6th, 2015

Their customer service and attitude by sales professionals is a little bit lacking. I was about to open an account with them, but will stick to the lesser evil Paypal after seeing all these negative review. A small business person does not need to be raped with so many hidden fees.

michaelt61
August 3rd, 2014

A lot of feedback here about Authnet. They are the largest Gateway around. If you need a WooCommerce Authorize.net payment gateway check out the easiest plugin to use: http://pledgedplugins.com/product/authorize-net-payment-gateway-woocommerce/

gloriav96
February 26th, 2021

I started to use PAYPAL in my business instead of Authorized dot net. I never got my money from them when I used their service for 2 weeks. After that, they did not like my business model and canceled the contract 2 weeks later. 6 months later I get a call from a collections agency saying I owe them money! Are you kidding me. You never paid me the money I earned through my store! They made constant excuses always and I never was paid but now I owe them money? The wait times to speak to someone is ridiculous. The owners of authorize dot net should be embarrassed. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. Stay clear unless you want a bigger headache on your hand!

Do not

payment gateway

oscarn16
October 18th, 2018

I am a business owner, I started with PayPal, Stripe, Square, ProPay, etc.
Authorize.Net is probably the only credit card processor around with full customer support, 24-7. You speak with real people. You don't speak to a computer or you don't need to send thousand of emails in order to get an answer, you speak with real people/ real customer support 24-7. You don't find this support anywhere else.

oner6
May 7th, 2020

Charged me for month with a closed account. After hours on the phone trying to close the account they still charge me. Customer service has left me on hold for over an hour and are extremely rude.

chard15
November 6th, 2020

I was looking for a processing company and put through an application BUT they couldn't help me out as I'm Canadian and needed an SSN or ITIN in order to open an account. Little did I know they were charging me monthly for a service I never did get! When I noticed the payments coming out of my account 10 months LATER I called the bank and had them cancel the charges and reverse the last few payments. After I did this I got a message from Authorize.net saying I OWED them money! FOR WHAT?! I just now got a letter from collections OMG saying I owe $100 OMG! I call this Authorize.net and I give the lady the last 4 digits of my bank account the name of my company the address and e-mail... she said she can find it and needs me to login to their website, this is where I said NO I'm not logging into anything to do with this company! DO NOT give them your bank info or anything else they are scammers. I'm not sure what to do about this being Canadian. Avoid the website and anything to do with this company!

marchelar
August 1st, 2019

Do not use them! Horrible customer service! It's been over 2 months since we got approved for Authorize.Net but my account is still on test mode. I have tried to call to get help to activate it over 6 times no one HAS EVER PICKED UP! Each time I have waited over 45 minutes! It was easier to find another company and do another application than waiting for someone to help from Authorize.Net! I do not recommend them at all!

josephr488
July 8th, 2019

First off they connected me with a terrible merchant that was hiding my profits and claimed to charge 10% that theyd give back in 6 months which they never do, they just charge you 10% ontop of all of the other fees. Secondly when I cancelled with them because I had to, they randomly started another recurring payment of 19.95 even after I got the cancellation confirmation in my email... How does that make any sense, f***in frauds...

davidf975
September 18th, 2019

I wish I read these reviews before dealing with this company. I don't know how they're still in business with all of the bad reviews. The customer service is terrible, they suspended both my accounts for no reason. I still haven't received payment from them and it's been 6 months. Again, STAY AWAY!

dand65
June 4th, 2015

They are polite... as they hide their continued theft of you/your customer's money in various fees, charges, and rules that make it unlikely you can get out of your contract easily.
Stay with Paypal (also expensive) or Square.

mikem1248
June 4th, 2019

Skip this one and try using stripe/braintree, literally anything but this crap service. Save yourself a lot of pain.

stacyl238
October 16th, 2019

Someone named Aaron Campbell is trying to get me to sign up right now so he can use his credit card to pay me. The whole thing sounds like a scam since he claims he has no way to pay me except through this site. He also says he will reimburse me for my sign up fee.

philm223
March 18th, 2019

I am a home inspector and just started on my own. Several clients asked to pay credit card because they couldn't attend inspections. I set up an account with authorize.net. Every thing seemed great until after four transactions, I received an email stating my account would be closed and all funds would be held for 120 days. I called the support number and spoke with David B. ( he wouldn't give me his last name), he stated that he doesn't have to give me a reason because it's proprietary information. What does that mean?, I said. He refused to give me any information. I immediately went to my bank and had them call. My banker stated she was shocked to hear what authorize.net was doing and how they wouldn't even give a reason. I had to close my business account to prevent them from stealing my money. I also have attempted to refund the money to my clients. If that doesn't work, my clients will have to claim fraud at their bank and wait for repayment through fraud department. I wish I never set up an account with them. Please beware. I will be filing with the FTC and the attorney general.

aleksandrae1
June 18th, 2018

I signed up with autorize.net in March as I needed to accept payments for my new online stores. I never sold anything in my stores and 4 months later I realize that autorize never provided any services. They are still "approving" my account and it's in test mode. However, for these months they have charged my account monthly. I have also had to pay monthly fees for the online stores and other fees (eg Amazon). I have lost ca 1300 $ on this.

keyondral
August 29th, 2019

This company is a fraud they charge you after you close your account with them and tell you they will refund you but don't do it. Then after they finally refund you 3 months later they try to charge you again. This company is a team of scammers. Use any other merchant service except these frauds.

jonnyc11
October 12th, 2019

These idiots charges you upfront for a payment gateway then they send you bunch of affiliate links to merchant accounts so even if you get denied they still charge for you for the gateway lmao they are bunch of scammers and losers.

marce35
August 13th, 2019

Don't waste your time with these clowns. They don't even have the wherewithall to answer a simple email or phone call. I have wasted weeks trying to get my account switched over to my new company from my old one.

I think they are a scam! I filled out an application didn't get ANY service from them as they said I needed an ITIN (I'm Canadian) then proceeded to take money out of my account for 10 months before I noticed UGH! I cancelled payments now they have sent to collections WTF! Do NOT use them they are scammers!

By CHar D.