Authorize

Authorize has a consumer rating of 1.31 stars from 85 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Authorize also ranks 37th among Payment Gateway sites. The most common issues with Authorize are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• The rates are competitive, and I've had no customer service issues whatsoever.

• They have been charging our account almost $40/month for 2 years without any rhyme or reason.
  • Any looking for a merchant account STAY AWAY FROM AUTHORIZE.NET.
How would you rate Authorize?

“Great Customer Service”

Carolyn C.
1/9/18

Authorize.net made it easy for Pampered Whiskers to accept payments on our BigCommerce website. Every time I have reached out to their customer service team, they have been very helpful. Each time I have called, I am able to get a live person within less than a minute. They are very efficient and empathetic. I would highly recommend authorize.net.

“horrible experience”

Nicholas G.
5/26/20

We had an absolutely horrible experience with using this company as our payment processor. Not only are they horribly mismanaged and unorganized but they constantly tried to sneak in additional fees hoping we would not catch them. Even after realizing what was going on and calling them out on it and going through fee negotiations, they still tried to sneak in fees that were explicitly against the agreement we made. I don't think we could have had any worse of an experience with this company.

account (50) customer service (16) merchant account (10) merchant services (6) company (39) 120 days (4) 3 months (3) sales rep (3) credit card (11)
nicholasg160
May 26th, 2020
alexd462
May 2nd, 2020
This site looks like it hasn't been updated in 10 years. It's hard to use, and for some reason uses my personal email and phone number (and not business email/number) by default to notify customers of refunds and disputes.

If you want to pass the name on the card, you have to use two fields for first and last names. You cannot use one full name field like Amazon does, for example. Internally we use only one field because we sell to different countries and one field is much easier for our customers who are not in the U.S.

Their customer service is terrible as well. I was trying to enable the PayPal option, but it gave me an error. I opened a case, and they literally closed it after two weeks and said they have no estimate when it will be fixed. A month later it is still not fixed! I even posted it on their community board, but received no reply from anyone.

I am considering moving to Stripe or another service that's more up-to-date and easier to use.
michaelt61
August 3rd, 2014
A lot of feedback here about Authnet. They are the largest Gateway around. If you need a WooCommerce Authorize.net payment gateway check out the easiest plugin to use: http://pledgedplugins.com/product/authorize-net-payment-gateway-woocommerce/
frankc1
February 22nd, 2010
I have been using Authorize.net for my E-commerce needs (CyberSource is the main company) for about 12 years now. The rates are competitive, and I've had no customer service issues whatsoever. Their client website is well constructed, and includes ALL of the real-time reporting you would ever need about your transactions including a virtual terminal for manual processing of off-line transactions. Complete e-mail merchant receipts and batching, never missed a beat with them. I would recommend that you contract a GOOD web-tech who can handle the installation of the Gateway software. Ultimately you should build your own interface. My only critique would be their payment processing screen which can be a little finicky. If the consumer doesn't absolutely complete all the fields and enter the 'security' letters precisely as show (case sensitive) the transactions don't go through.

Overall I give it a good rating and recommend them for your e-commerce merchant processing if you're shopping for a new company or better rates.
oner6
May 7th, 2020
charged me for month with a closed account. After hours on the phone trying to close the account they still charge me. customer service has left me on hold for over an hour and are extremely rude.
stevew69
August 29th, 2013
Feels extremely dated. Before the paradigm of trying to make things nice and easy for developers. Works great though once you have it set up.
marchelar
August 1st, 2019
Do not use them! Horrible customer service!! It's been over 2 months since we got approved for Authorize.Net but my account is still on test mode. I have tried to call to get help to activate it over 6 times no one HAS EVER PICKED UP!!!! Each time I have waited over 45 minutes! It was easier to find another company and do another application than waiting for someone to help from Authorize.Net!!! I do not recommend them at all!!!
josephr488
July 8th, 2019
First off they connected me with a terrible merchant that was hiding my profits and claimed to charge 10% that theyd give back in 6 months which they never do, they just charge you 10% ontop of all of the other fees. Secondly when I cancelled with them because I had to, they randomly started another recurring payment of 19.95 even after I got the cancellation confirmation in my email... How does that make any sense, f***in frauds...
davidf975
September 18th, 2019
I wish I read these reviews before dealing with this company. I don't know how they're still in business with all of the bad reviews. The customer service is terrible, they suspended both my accounts for no reason. I still haven't received payment from them and it's been 6 months. Again, STAY AWAY!!!!
mikem1248
June 4th, 2019
Skip this one and try using stripe/braintree, literally anything but this crap service. Save yourself a lot of pain.
melj9
February 6th, 2015
Their customer service and attitude by sales professionals is a little bit lacking . I was about to open an account with them , but will stick to the lesser evil Paypal after seeing all these negative review. A small business person does not need to be raped with so many hidden fees.
dand65
June 4th, 2015
They are polite . . . as they hide their continued theft of you/your customer's money in various fees, charges, and rules that make it unlikely you can get out of your contract easily.
Stay with Paypal (also expensive) or Square.
carolync96
January 9th, 2018
stacyl238
October 16th, 2019
Someone named Aaron Campbell is trying to get me to sign up right now so he can use his credit card to pay me. The whole thing sounds like a scam since he claims he has no way to pay me except through this site. He also says he will reimburse me for my sign up fee.
philm223
March 18th, 2019
I am a home inspector and just started on my own. Several clients asked to pay credit card because they couldn't attend inspections. I set up an account with authorize.net. Every thing seemed great until after four transactions, I received an email stating my account would be closed and all funds would be held for 120 days. I called the support number and spoke with David B. ( he wouldn't give me his last name), he stated that he doesn't have to give me a reason because it's proprietary information. What does that mean?, I said. He refused to give me any information. I immediately went to my bank and had them call. My banker stated she was shocked to hear what authorize.net was doing and how they wouldn't even give a reason. I had to close my business account to prevent them from stealing my money. I also have attempted to refund the money to my clients. If that doesn't work, my clients will have to claim fraud at their bank and wait for repayment through fraud department. I wish I never set up an account with them. Please beware. I will be filing with the FTC and the attorney general.
aleksandrae1
June 18th, 2018
I signed up with autorize.net in March as I needed to accept payments for my new online stores. I never sold anything in my stores and 4 months later I realize that autorize never provided any services. They are still "approving" my account and it's in test mode. However, for these months they have charged my account monthly. I have also had to pay monthly fees for the online stores and other fees (eg Amazon). I have lost ca 1300 $ on this.
jamess162
January 20th, 2014
I am a software engineer with 22 years of experience. When I called Authorize.net for more information about a "Returned Payment Fee" that suddenly appeared on our statement (and other hidden fees), the man I spoke with was extremely unprofessional, made comments referring to me as a "kindergartner", falsely claimed they have over 400,000 customers and said they don't need my business. He was condescending and belittled me. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, he placed me on hold for over 30 minutes (every few minutes you could hear a person breathing, then I would placed back on hold) until eventually the call was disconnected. After calling back several times, sending email and using their contact form, I finally reached a supervisor who said the fee was a mistake and gave me a credit. However this took considerable effort. Every time you communicate via email or their contact form, you will receive email up to three days later with typos, misspelled words and invalid (non-printable) characters. This probably indicates it's being answered overseas or via an automated system. Authorize.net caters to very small businesses and likely makes a large percentage of it's revenue from hidden fees, setup fees and penalties. We are now actively searching for a new gateway processor and do not recommend authorize.net.
keyondral
August 29th, 2019
This company is a fraud they charge you after you close your account with them and tell you they will refund you but don't do it. Then after they finally refund you 3 months later they try to charge you again. This company is a team of scammers. Use any other merchant service except these frauds.
jonnyc11
October 12th, 2019
These idiots charges you upfront for a payment gateway then they send you bunch of affiliate links to merchant accounts so even if you get denied they still charge for you for the gateway lmao they are bunch of scammers and losers.
richp
June 10th, 2008
frustrated with authorize.net upgrade to its payment gateway merchant software - I am so frustrated with this switch to the new version of their software. How they implemented it is ridiculous authorize.net offers you a gateway for your transactions, but it is up to you to figure out how to connect to it- with limited examples, and support. And, their tech support guy isn't that good either. Though I'll admit before their recent upgrade it was working fine and now I can't get it to work. If anyone knows of a better system please let me know.
oscarn16
October 18th, 2018
I am a business owner, I started with PayPal, Stripe, Square, ProPay, etc.
Authorize.Net is probably the only credit card processor around with full customer support, 24-7. You speak with real people. You don't speak to a computer or you don't need to send thousand of emails in order to get an answer, you speak with real people/ real customer support 24-7. You don't find this support anywhere else.
marce35
August 13th, 2019
Don't waste your time with these clowns. They don't even have the wherewithall to answer a simple email or phone call. I have wasted weeks trying to get my account switched over to my new company from my old one.
natj5
May 11th, 2017
TERRIBLE COMPANY!!!

When asked they wont disclose anything but keep charging the account.

DO THIS:
- File complaint with FTC, Attorney General
- Dispute charges with your Bank
- Post Reviews

Hit these scammers where it hurts.

STAY AWAY FROM FRAUD AUTHORIZE.NET!!!
russellc64
June 25th, 2018
I previously entered a 1 star review for this company, but wanted to come back and change this after they resolved my situation. To avoid too many details, there was a payment processing error and was calling to obtain a refund. Apparently, I called "Evo Payments" who handles some of their payment processing. They are who the "1 star" review should be given. They are the WORST company I have ever done business with. If they continue to do business this way, they will not be in business very long. The last representative I spoke with at Evo actually new what he was doing and forwarded me to Authorize.net customer service. These guys were excellent, and were able to handle my query in a matter of seconds. They also provided me with their contact info so I can contact them directly instead of going through the "Evo Payment" customer service line. Thanks again Authorize for making this so helpful! You guys may want to do business with a company other than Evo they are absolutely terrible, and probably a reason for so many negative reviews.
jays417
February 6th, 2019
Been a long-time user. When I did have a problem, I couldn't get a hold of a human. Wasted a lot of time on hold before giving up. Cost me thousands$$ Business is about customer service. Answer your phones and SERVE your loyal customers!

Stay away from these crooks they will rob you.

By Kingpin S.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Authorize staff and other customers.

Authorize.Net's payment gateway provides services to help merchants accept online and mobile credit card processing, payments via echecks, and more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Authorize?

Have a question about Authorize?