AARP

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

AARP has a consumer rating of 2.76 stars from 116 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. AARP also ranks 2nd among Retirement sites. The most common issues with AARP are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• My husband called their customer service immediately to report it and of course they did not know what could be done.
  • Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp.
  • It took me 3 years to realize where all of these calls were orignating from.
How would you rate AARP?

“Representative Ethan”

M G.
3/5/20

After speaking to a representative named Ethan I feel compelled to let you know that you have a very well spoken patient thorough and all-around a pleasure to speak to representative. Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service. AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation. As I am well-versed in customer service I feel the need to express the importance of his performance, which was absolutely flawless. It should not go unnoticed by the company. I hope that do you agree and are in the practice of giving praise and acknowledging a great performance on the part of one representing your brand. Thank you so much Mariblanca Gutierrez

“MY UHC”

dan m.
2/3/20

UHC prescription drug plan while cheaper is worthless. Absolutely do not choose the MY UHC prescription drug plan unless you prefer waiting for weeks to jump through the hoops to get a "specialty drug." Customer service totally lacking in knowledge, as a last resort they transfer you to the "specialty" to complete your prescription. In our case nearly six weeks of back and forth and still no Enbrel or the generic. Switch to Humana or any other but do not select UHC.

customer service (9) car insurance (7) 3 years (3) auto insurance (6) life insurance (3) junk mail (4) 3 months (4)
paulab72
March 5th, 2020
When i turned 50 i received an invitation to join AARP.I declinded the membership because it doesn't relate to my interests.I have received advertisments in the mail about senior citzen complexes and step in tubs.The magazine and newspaper aren't exciting.The magazine promotes jitterbug and consumer cellular.Phone services which aren't geared to my needs.
nancyc183
October 9th, 2019
Any time I have tried to get any kind of a discount useing aarp , out of 50 places I have tried to use it I have found only 2 businesses that took it and my big savings was .30 wow I paid $45.00 for 2 years . who got the best deal there . I would not ever recommend aarp to anyone !
ronniet12
April 21st, 2019
It never fails when these clucks offer a daily contest. As it gets towards the end, they deny you access, block you (maybe even punish you!); I have been trying for TWO DAYS (now) to enter and it looks like I'm done being allowed to enter daily (why? What did I do?). Same goes for their f!@#$%^&*ed up tease Rewards For Good (website). I have a tease code that I can NOT enter! First day, I had no clue as to why the blocking. Today there is a lame line maintenance. How long does a website take to do maintenance? This is CRUEL! If a site can not (and refuses) to keep their stupid website up and running 24/7, then they should NOT be allowed on the web!
cynthiaj118
November 2nd, 2019
I'm am disgusted with all the advertisement; internet, social media, tv, radio and US mail that I recieve. I have NOT found ONE helpful offering! The jitterbug, computer, ALL insurances; vehicle, life and esp, United Health care-supplemental, travel (flights, car rental, hotels, etc) are FAR MORE EXPENSIVE when using the AARP "BENEFITS" Card. I had a disastrous, very expensive experience with cellular 1. I repeatedly gave my AARP membership ads a try. ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE QUOTES. Several conversations I had with AARP stated that the companies that advertise with AARP are NOT AARP APPROVED or PROMOTED products. AARP is purely accepting the money these companies pay AARP for advertising. It ONLY LOOKS like AARP IS PROMOTING the product. What is AARP really doing for the senior community?
jtt16
September 20th, 2019
The metal pull tag on each travel bag sent as a renewal gift break off too easily, making the compartments unusable! The only bag that didn't have that problem was the duffel bag with side pockets and the main compartment; that bag's zippers work well!
melissag318
March 1st, 2019
The apps never work! Continuously get an error message. Have to call every time I need something I should be able to do on the app!
dj136
June 26th, 2019
Iam a paid member of AARP, and hearing impaired. AARP videos don't have open captions or subtitles on videos.
donnab237
December 11th, 2017
I was very happy to be a member until their political views opposed what I believe. I am no longer a member due to this. Who decides their views? I am a member of other groups old enough for AARP and this is the view of most members. AARP is losing many who liked being a part of this group by it's political views.
henlyj
September 23rd, 2014
Lots of junk mail from AARP trying to sell me life insurance, car insurance and just about anything else that makes them money.

Tip for consumers: AARP makes a lot of money!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP#AARP_Services.2C_Inc._and_AARP_Financial_Incorporated

45 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

AARP is just not worth it to me. All the services and insurances they offer, are not a good deal. So they aren't doing me or my husband any favors.

By Debbie L.

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

I wouldn't signup with AARP for love nor money...and money is what it will cost you and you will get nothing, zippo, zero from them but a "run around" and junk mail. They are worthless.

By Judith K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.

tisas3
Tisa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Have a question about AARP?