Review of AARP

member@aarp.org
2018 Customer choice award

cynthiaj118
11/2/19
I'm am disgusted with all the advertisement; internet, social media, tv, radio and US mail that I recieve. I have NOT found ONE helpful offering! The jitterbug, computer, ALL insurances; vehicle, life and esp, United Health care-supplemental, travel (flights, car rental, hotels, etc) are FAR MORE EXPENSIVE when using the AARP "BENEFITS" Card. I had a disastrous, very expensive experience with cellular 1. I repeatedly gave my AARP membership ads a try. ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE QUOTES. Several conversations I had with AARP stated that the companies that advertise with AARP are NOT AARP APPROVED or PROMOTED products. AARP is purely accepting the money these companies pay AARP for advertising. It ONLY LOOKS like AARP IS PROMOTING the product. What is AARP really doing for the senior community?
judithk104
10/15/19
I am very displeased and outraged at what AARP has been doing for sometime! I just learned from a Customer Service rep at ITT Hartford that they raised my Auto insurance $55.00 because I chose not to renew an AARP membership that I do not need. I have been with AAA for 8 years for roadside assistance. My reason was that If you used the AARP roadside help, it impacted your auto insurance rate. As if you had an accident. I have been with The Hartford since 1987. I have had home and auto and boat insurance along with businesses insured thru the Hartford as did my parents before me. I started getting on that AARP was bullying their way into the Hartford 2 years ago when I brought up to my Hartford agent that on one of Hartfords help lines rep said that I HAVE to have AARP. The Hartford agent told me this was NOT True. Well, it is now. AARP is holding The Hartford hostage evidently.
I have friends of mine all my age up to 77 years old, I am 68 tell me horror storys about why they canceled AARP. They have experienced Cell phone thefts from Cellular One. They have taken money on Health Insurance that no longer exists and their Roadside assistance stinks. I waited over 6 hours for a tow some years back from AARP and when the tow truck showed up I got an ear-full from him as well. It takes his company weeks to get payment from AARP.
Lastly.....I hear enough of political rhetoric from the news....AARP has gone extremely left wing. I dont care about affliations in my friends etc with their views....but I do not pay them to get my Auto Insurance..let alone Roadside assistant. Im Staying with AAA and will be searching for a new Auto Insurance company. Its a "Shame on You Hartford" and a "Drop Dead AARP, No Thank you!"
nancyc183
10/9/19
Any time I have tried to get any kind of a discount useing aarp , out of 50 places I have tried to use it I have found only 2 businesses that took it and my big savings was .30 wow I paid $45.00 for 2 years . who got the best deal there . I would not ever recommend aarp to anyone !
marcg113
10/3/19
first of all AARP is an inapt place to do any business with they say that they can save you money on different things like car insurance house insurance deductibles are medical it is also all false as I remember I used to be and a 65 I should get decent benefits decent quotes in this not happening I would advise everybody to stay away from AARP they're just concerned about their profits that is it when you call they give you all these different answers not directed towards the problem so stay away
devonnam
10/1/19
AARP supports and distributes a United Health supplemental Hospital Insurance. However the Plan was discontinued in 2013 but AARP continues to mail and encourage existing members to enroll on an annual basis. My father is 77yrs old and has been enrolled in this old Plan for 19 yrs. This is an abuse of power and false advertisement my dad would have stopped this Plan in 2013. AARP continues to mail as of today and United Health continues to engage in this conspiracy and revolving abuse of retirement savings to senior citizens.Please be ware.i have filed a BBB Complaint on this matter. Feel free to view yourself.
juanital28
9/27/19
I have a major complaint about the AARP roadside assistance. I paid for my tow and was to be reimbursed. My plan says under 100 miles. The tow was 40 miles. I paid $198 to the AARP rep on the phone. I was only reimbursed $120. I called and the person I spoke with said that is all I will get back. I am very disappointed in this service and have asked to cancel. I do not recommend this service at all.
ss531
9/22/19
Consistently the member services are terribly staffed. Very nice people, but with no information or authority whatsoever. They have never once been able to resolve a problem with membership issues, web tech issues, payments for "special services" that were never delivered.

They gave me a free year's membership to make up for one of the latest wastes of time. After 12 calls, emails, web and chat room inquiries, not one issue answered or resolved about a "brain health" test they charged extra fees for. I took it, the website acknowledged it, but results were never available.
jtt16
9/20/19
The metal pull tag on each travel bag sent as a renewal gift break off too easily, making the compartments unusable! The only bag that didn't have that problem was the duffel bag with side pockets and the main compartment; that bag's zippers work well!
sallyw121
9/16/19
We ordered a new IPhone 7 from Consumer Cellular and of course it took 5 days to arrive. We had to pay $67 up front to order the phone, we are going to make monthly payments. Well to our surprise we open the package on Saturday and there is no phone in the box!!!! My husband called their customer service immediately to report it and of course they did not know what could be done. So first thing Monday morning he called again. Well another surprise there is no documentation of his call on Saturday! This women says she took the information and has to refer it to another department. She said it will take 2-3 days to decide what to do! What do you mean "what to do"? We did not receive the phone what's to decide? My husband is 75 and I am 66 why would we lie about this!!!! We are both so upset. If this doesn't get resolved in 2-3 days we will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and contacting an attorney for a consultation on how to proceed. We have been with AT&T for 20 plus years. My husband switched to CC to save some money. What a mistake. I am still with AT&T because I use too much data. I had to replace my phone about a month ago because my screen cracked. I had a new phone sent by way of Fedex and I had the new phone the next afternoon. Now that is great service. Plus they gave us 10 days to return the old phone and gave us all the necessary materials and instructions on how to return the old phone at no charge to us. They even included the tape for the box! Now that is great customer service. We are now late Wednesday afternoon and it gets worse! We cannot get a response from Consumer Cellular and my husband calls everyday. The customer service reps he speaks to basically saying he is lying in so many words. This is unbelievable and not sure where we need to go from here. I sent them an email yesterday and they have as yet to respond. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau. This is very disturbing that an AARP recommended company is aloud to treat seniors this way. We have very little to live on as we are both on Social Security. We actually find it very disturbing. Oh my gosh you are not going to believe this! Today is Monday 9/16/2019 After I posted my second review late Wednesday afternoon we get another email from Consumer Cellular stating they shipped another package out and we should receive it within 3-5 days. Ok now we are excited. Then on Friday the 13th we received an email from Consumer Cellular with the tracking number that was shown on the Wednesday email stating the post office returned the package because it was not picked up within 15 days!!! The package was just sent out 2 days prior how can it be 15 days? So I went into the USPS website under the new tracking number and it shows the package was returned because the Addressee shown on the package did not match the address shown on the package! I don't know about you readers but Consumer Cellular deserves a minus 10!!!! I am so disgusted and WILL NOT refer anyone to them. This is out of control and absolutely unacceptable. If we ever do get this phone it should be free! My husband decided to go to the post office with all our documentation. Unbelievable, the package was there! It had not been returned after all. However, whoever at Consumer Cellular did put my Husbands name on the mailing label but they showed the mailing address as the post offices address!!!! Who the heck does this. Everyone needs to be fired or at least written up that handled these transactions right down to the Customer Service Reps that took the phone calls. I will definitely be staying with AT&T my husband can have Consumer Cellular. What a joke. I plan to post this everywhere I can!
sandyk101
8/30/19
About three weeks ago, I decided to join AARP. After I joined (or so I thought) I received an automated message that read: Welcome back Sandra, member since 1981. My name is not Sandra it is Sandy, and in 1981 I was 26 years old. I realized the automated sign-up confused me with my deceased mother-in-law - whose mail has been forward my home address. I contacted AARP and explained the situation, since it also had my father-in-law's name on her membership, and since I have a keen sense for the obvious (something no one at AARP has), I explained this to the person to whom I spoke. She said she could do nothing about it until my payment was processed. I paid, got a confirmation, but the payment was not processed. I called back and went through the entire story again. If it's not too late to make a long story short, this has snowballed into a frustrating and frankly insulting situation. I have now received sympathy notes from due to the passing of my in-laws (over 6 years ago). Been informed I cannot cancel my in-law's membership, I never requested, nor do I care to cancel their membership. Not one person has been able to comprehend this situation, and I have been harrassed now my countless emails of nonsense about the situation. My concern is also with the fact that AARP is for older people, and I can't be the only person with a name similar to another member. What would happen if I weren't a computer expert (Master Certified computer educator), and didn't know that my membership was not really MY membership.
In summary: I dealt with a bunch of idiots and have been unable to join...at this point, don't care to join. Thank you AARP = FOR NOTHING but harrassing emails.
guillermop18
8/27/19
Horrible member's service! They never able to help ! It sounds like they are just reading an script . When you speak they don't hear you.. if u get mad they will put you in a long hold!
I had this Maria assuring me with an over charged premium dues . She sound so robotic and never listens to what you say and offers no solution! Was I was over and over explaining my reasons I think why I was overcharge she put me on hold without asking for any permission!
I will never recommend it to no one! No one deserves this poor service and luck of good benefits program! All they want is to collect your money without any logical explanation!!
lindah914
8/19/19
Who in your organization has the authority to spend your members' money to run expensive radio ads supporting Lucy McBath? ALL of your members DO NOT support her or her party and did NOT vote for her. I am appalled that your organization would assume that this is OK. It is NOT and I will NEVER be part of AARP again.
erikm89
8/14/19
I renewed my membership May 1st 2019 and I still have not received the $#*!ing card that Crooks it keep saying I will mail it out to you damn son of a $#*! has cost me more and airfare and everything because nobody will give you a discount listen to see the card I hope they go out a business real fast then I'm going to do everything I can to take them bastards Downer crooked $#*!ing ripoff
dj136
6/26/19
Iam a paid member of AARP, and hearing impaired. AARP videos don't have open captions or subtitles on videos.
melodyg28
6/8/19
the consumer cellular has been ripping me off every month and finally I left them. I am 55 years old and I am so disgusted with Consumer cellular and their phony charges. I curse the day I saw this company recommended by AARP. I also cancelled with them as well. It seems they are all set up to take advantage of senior citizens. Thank God for Tmobile and their 55 year or older plan . They charge me and my husband total of $70 flat without any more fees for unlimited everything and include international and roaming.
tomt319
5/30/19
AARP is a total rip-off, no tangible benefit and nothing but trouble for your membership. I joined primarily out of curiosity; the annual fee is cheap enough: but what I got was:

1. A worthless magazine full of rip-off advertisements
2. Put on endless mailing lists for all sorts of things I don't want: medical devices, mortgage loans, insurance, overpriced travel, etc. I receive AARP junk mail literally every day now!
3. Worthless discounts on a variety of products and services; a simple internet search reveals better deals in many other vendors.

Overall a useless program designed to rip-off it's members in every way, they even auto-renew your membership without asking then refuse to reimburse you when cancelled!
eddied64
5/8/19
Received multiple mailings. Finally signed up, paid them. Still receiving mailings, emails but no membership card. Emails say "non member" ? Have called to follow up several times. They indicated it takes 4 weeks to process payments. In today's world that is absolutely not acceptable. They have all our correct information in their system, which they have apparently "sold" to 3rd parties because suddenly we are receiving tons of new junk mail. Look, at the end of the day, many businesses will give you the same 5-10% discount just for asking nicely. Save your money, avoid the nonsense associated with this company. For me, they have my money, and apparently due to their own record keeping and processing, I get nothing in return. Time is too valuable to fight it. Just please, be advised, this company seems to be NOTHING like what they advertise on tv. Stay clear and protect your money, your mailbox and your sanity. Time has value, don't waste yours.
donnam740
5/5/19
This site has been no help nor offered any discounts that I've requested. I've attempted to use restaurants but only Denny's and Outback steakhouse in my area (not Red Lobster). And no discounts for Amtrak just siteseeing train excursions. Point blank Worthless!!!
ronniet12
4/21/19
It never fails when these clucks offer a daily contest. As it gets towards the end, they deny you access, block you (maybe even punish you!); I have been trying for TWO DAYS (now) to enter and it looks like I'm done being allowed to enter daily (why? What did I do?). Same goes for their f!@#$%^&*ed up tease Rewards For Good (website). I have a tease code that I can NOT enter! First day, I had no clue as to why the blocking. Today there is a lame line maintenance. How long does a website take to do maintenance? This is CRUEL! If a site can not (and refuses) to keep their stupid website up and running 24/7, then they should NOT be allowed on the web!
robbyw7
4/5/19
After being an unpaid AARP Rewards for Good member for close to a year and completing countless quizzes to earn points to use on discounted giftcards, I purchased a 5 year paid AARP membership in Feb 2019. Very shortly thereafter, the AARP website had a error/glitch which allowed one code to be used more than once. After using around 20 shared codes from friends/family, AARP locked my Rewards for Good access and made it impossible to use/redeem the 90,000 points I earned before the website error/glitch. Each time, I called customer service, I was given a different answer/explanation and after a month, I am still locked out of the Rewards for Good section of the AARP website. I expected better from AARP.
waynea73
3/28/19
I am recently retired and after reading some articles concerning AARP and its benefits for retired people, I decided to purchase medical insurance through them. After all, they are supposed to be especially for retirees. Big mistake! In a phone interview I mentioned my medical history of the past few years. They are going to find out anyway! They asked me about potential medical conditions for the near future. I told them there was a possibility, but I had no intention of pursuing it. BIG MISTAKE! Now it's cast in stone like the Ten Commandments of death penalty judgment for being honest! WHAT?? So ... I'm supposed to lie to my health care professional?? So ... I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't! In my phone interview I verified that the conversation was being recorded. Yes, it was. So ... you all have RETIRED PEOPLE as part of your mission. Yet, anyone questionable to you gets thrown out in the trash. Well ... you are telling me, for the record, that I'm better off dead than alive! THANK YOU AARP, FOR HELPING RETIRED PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF!
philc120
3/26/19
https://learn.aarp.org/smart-drivertek/ is a free on line class to learn about all the new car safety features. The problem is when you log in to register you get a #400 error. I was on the phone for 2 hours with AARP and transferred to six different departments with no help. Some did not know anything about the class. Their so called computer program expert told me that it must be a Google problem and because he does not work for Google he could not help. Finally I talked to a supervisor that tried to also register and got the same #400 error and did not know why. So much for a free on line class that does not work.
deeg66
3/13/19
a few months ago I received what look like a bill from AARP telling me that if I wanted to be a member in good standing to pay the bill I immediately took a picture of this and sent it to the District Attorney's Office in Pennsylvania. It was an advertisement and not a bill and the reason I sent it to the district attorney's office was because I'm sure there are senior citizens out there who would not even think twice and just pay the bill because that's the kind of people they are but it was a shyster Shady move on the part of AARP turns out AARP sends what looks like a list of computer addresses and tells the district attorney that I had requested this information but you know what the funny thing is I don't even have a computer
melissag318
3/1/19
The apps never work! Continuously get an error message. Have to call every time I need something I should be able to do on the app!
janm274
2/27/19
Bought a "smart" phone from Jitterbug after seeing your ads. Horrible situation: phone never worked, kept dieing on me mid conversation. Went to return and problems became bigger. They told me to send it to them and they would credit me after examining phone. They refused any service after they got the phone. I questioned their "time" charges and they sent me the most "insane pages of "charges" that each ended in ZERO. They said I agreed to this plan but consent was given over the phone and this was no plan I accepted. No contract papers were ever sent to me. After numerous phone calls they agreed to refund me $100 if I sent the receipt and papers I had - I sent and never heard from them again. It has been nearly 3 months (I have been sick) and I guess I write it off as they appear to have written me off. Please beware of this company and their shady practices.in your ads.
45 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

Questions? Get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP?