Review of AARP

member@aarp.org
2018 Customer choice award

michaell971
1/15/19

Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp. It is clear by pricing that aarp gets a commission or kickback from these insurance companies. Discounts on vacations movies cars etc. can be found on other free sites that are better deals than aarp. If discounts on insurance and consumer products are better elsewhere then why belong to aarp. On top of commissions and kickbacks they have nerve to ask for donations. Plus I dont agree with half their lobbying efforts in congress. Their organization used to be of benefit to senior citizens. Now they are fraudulent organization protected by congressmen they give "donations" to.

rebeccas404
1/2/19

I signed up for AARP when I turned 50,16 years ago, and almost immediately started receiving tellemarketing calls. At the time, we only had a home phone and, unaware why this was happening, I signed up for the 'do not call' with the Dept. of Agriculture. Every day it was something new, windows, plumbing, someone wanting to buy our home. In the meantime, I got a cell phone and the calls started on that, too. It took me 3 years to realize where all of these calls were orignating from. I called AARP and they actually admitted to selling member names for profit. I was furious! It took several years after getting rid of AARP to stop receiving unwanted calls but the damage was done. NEVER again! I won't take United Healthcare supplemental Medicare insurance because its written by AARP. They definitely create alot of problems for members as well as the outrageous cost of Hartford insurance. Get a quote and when they write the policy, it will be $1,000 over quote. If you don't take it, they report you to the state and you'll get a letter that your license is suspended for no insurance, even if you've purchased a policy elsewhere. AARP and their co-conspirators will definitely cause you heartache

suer305
12/10/18

I joined AARP in September 2018.so I could start getting the magazines.Almost 3 months later I haven't received a magazine.They always have a excuse.I'm sick of it.I told them to cancel my membership and to refund my money.

haroldh102
12/5/18

I just cancelled my membership of many years.
I had Humana, I came down with a pulled muscle during exercise I went to rehabilitation and paid one time fee of 10.00 dollars.
I changed to the AARP United Health Care, I came down with sciatica, needed rehabilitation but with United it would have cost me $40.00 per visit, so I could not afford to received the treatment, therefore I am leaving UNITED.
For many years I had AARP affiliate home and auto insurance, a friend who also left ARRP recommended I check else where, I did and found the same exact coverage on both policies for $996.00 dollars less than what I was paying with AARP sponsored insurance.
You would think that AARP would use the volume as leverage to negotiate lower prices and better service but as my experience reveals that is not the case

evem42
10/13/18

BEWARE OF AARP
When you cancel they still go after you for money they are not very Honest so PLEASE ask every thing you need to know what happens when you cancel before renewal time cause you can get ripped off and not get your money back Buyer beware

be37
10/1/18

Bought an AARP plan covering my wife and I and a couple roadside assistance plan. Tried to use it and received multiple charges to my credit card whicg no one could explain over 4 calls to Indian Call Center where no one spoke enough English to understand. Had to cancel a cresit card and wait for a new one because of the fraud. I highly recommend YOU DO NOT get this service. You will be disappointed and likely robbed.

michaeld850
8/28/18

I was looking at a copy of AARP in the doctor's office. On the cover was a picture of Hanoi Jane Fonda. AARP is for older people like myself. 90% of Vietnam vets are my age and 90% of them hate Jane Fonda. How much in tune with people my age can they be?

brandons70
8/17/18

i can't block the emails either i get tons of email from their caregiver sweepstakes because they blocked my profile and email for no reason aarp is a horrible company and has very lousy customer service I would not recommend them to anyone.

johnc1680
7/19/18

Canadians are blocked from website access! No way to check profile or membership information. Why? I do business with many US-based organizations - Avis, hotel chains, etc. Only way to get information is to persist through the labyrinth of phone options.

denisec238
7/16/18

I was told when I signed up for Aarp my car insurance would be 188.00 then they went and took 274.00 then I called them they said I have another driver I live by myself no one drives my car but me I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee really I have plpd the lady lied to me on the phone saying 188.00 a month so upset

philipc142
6/19/18

I called today for an auto insurance quote. The insurance agent, Jake Bryant, was polite, but was not knowledgeable and during our 18 minute phone conversation excused himself for inordinately long periods to consult with a supervisor regarding elementary questions. My concern is that Bryant may be representative of THE HARTFORD auto insurance business model. That said AARP,independent of THE HARFORD is a great Represetative of its members.

dickh38
4/9/18

I had order the AARP membership (as advertise on TV) for the one year and add a friend for $16.00, "AND" get the AARP monthly """"AND""" a free travel bag, got the cards and the AARP monthly but didn't get the travel bag. After waiting over 3 months I call customer service to ask about it, where I got ahold of the """RUDEST""" customer service man I have ever talked to in my 70 years of life, He "VERY BLUNTLY" told me you don't get the bag without a special request for it, then hung up on me ( that is ""NOT" what there ad says) ((I still never got it and they are "NOT" going to get anymore business from me, besides I will be letting "ALL" my friends know how there customer service is

donnab237
12/11/17

I was very happy to be a member until their political views opposed what I believe. I am no longer a member due to this. Who decides their views? I am a member of other groups old enough for AARP and this is the view of most members. AARP is losing many who liked being a part of this group by it's political views.

joannem76
10/12/17

WARNING!!! DO NOT ASK AARP FOR INFORMATION ON HEALTH INSURANCE! I filled out the contact me form at their website and have been inundated with sales calls every single day to the tune of 12-20 calls each day,. Even though I have asked each caller to take me off their list, the calls keep coming fro different numbers all over the country. I finally called AARP and was told it would take 2 weeks to have my number removed from third party vendors. I am so disgusted with AARP for allowing this happen !!! Why would I want to renew my membership??? I thought you were here to help seniors.

garyb194
Gary B.
9/21/17

This organization is a mess, I would not trust them. I tried signing up online and received an error message when processing payment, called their customer service line and got a nice young lady who told me you can only sign up by phone, really? After much confusion on her part and taking my credit card info she said she could not process it since their payment system was not working, again, really? She said the only way was to send a check, wow. I of course refused and after a long hold she said another agent could take my credit card info. At that point I knew this was not an organization I want to be associated with at all. Stay clear, they are not at all organized and not worth the hassle.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother, this organization is run poorly.

jh468
8/8/17

What can I say nice about AARP? Hmmm, nothing at all.
The only people making money is the AARP lobbyists in DC who are suppose to be helping senior citizens.
This organization is the worst when it comes to postal mailings. 2-3 times a week they try to tempt you with a "free" gift to join. Try to get off their mailing list is something to behold. This organization needs to stop spamming people and tend to business in DC to help ensure seniors are not taken advantage of, but then they would be doing quite the opposite. THEY ARE THE ONES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF SENIORS.
Insurance coverages from health to auto etc is much cheaper on your own than going through AARP who in fact get a percentage finders fee when you buy from them. Travel deals are no different.
Save your money, don't join this useless organization. Membership is down, wonder why?

sandyg24
7/29/17

was a member for 2 years then every 3 or 4 months i got another bill paid again then again another bill no more i am happy to say not a member and will never be one again. rape off. mrs gomez

magdab
1/10/17

I signed up to see if I could save on something . As I looked to all the offers, every single one is offered free to you free as you turn to a senior citizen directly throught the bussiness.
The life insurance and the car insurance are way higher than the regular insuran throught many companies. One phone company offered a saving of a nickel, yes you heard right. So, why pay for what my supermarket or favorite restaurant can give me directly for free. Only dummies do that.

davidb508
6/7/16

Been a policy holder since 2009 with no claims. Never got a cancellation letter by email or US Mail. Called on 6-7-16 to make payment and was told my policy had been cancelled two months ago and could not renew it. Stay away from The Hartford auto insurance and if you have AARP Hartford you might not be covered and not know it.

terrie44
Terri E.
4/28/16

Those of you out there that are younger than 40: you might as well skip this because you just won't get it, unless you have a parent that's struggling to get work.

I hate to pick on just AARP. I'd like to list every single senior website I've dealt with, but it won't let me list them above so ... I'm just listing AARP. Some other ones are seniorjobbank.org, Workforce 50, retirementjobs.com, etc.

Every single time I go to one of these Senior employment websites, its always the same thing: listings of jobs I cant do or do not have the experience for.

I have found that most listings are for Managers, Accountants, Executives, Tax People, Drivers, CSRs, and the worst of all Nannies and Babysitters! Is that all they think we can do?

My work experience involves Office Support which includes Administrative Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, etc. Let's be honest. Most companies just don't want some old lady (or man) working at the front desk or sometimes, even at a back desk. I know this from pure job hunting experience. For some reason, these 20-Somethings and 30-Somethings just can't stand the thought of working with someone the age of their mother or grandmother. Every senior doesn't act like an old fart.

I just don't get it. How were these idiots raised anyway? Don't they realize that 30 years is going to go by just like that? Only then will they know what it's like to be 60 years old without employment and one step from living on the street. I don't care WHO I work with, as long as they're nice and accept everyone for who they are.

None of these Senior job websites have ever helped me.

barryb29
11/16/15

Aarp has been promoting the cheaper insurance price they have on autos on TV for years. The Hartford insurance provider pulls you in with an initial lower quote, but the next year's quote is 25 percent higher even with a perfect driving record. They assume that once they have you as a customer you'll stick with them. Don't be fooled by this come on.

henlyj
9/23/14

Lots of junk mail from AARP trying to sell me life insurance, car insurance and just about anything else that makes them money.

Tip for consumers: AARP makes a lot of money!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP#AARP_Services.2C_Inc._and_AARP_Financial_Incorporated

michaelb148
5/2/14

aarp.org is the official site of the AARP non-profit organization. Don't confuse it with aarp.com which is essentially there to sell insurance. Although oriented to seniors, there is tons of information and advice applicable to anyone. There is so much stuff on this website it is like drinking out of a fire hydrant. If you followed every link, you would be at it for days. Go to it for games, travel info, restaurant recommendations, job search info, health care, mobil app suggestions, tax info, it goes on and on. You don't have to be an AARP member to use the web site.

als40
12/10/13

My wife and I have started shopping on-line, the PROBLEM IS that every source has our home address and are sending their own advertising plus the advertising from the companies to which they have sold our address. How do I stop this every day mail box full of unwanted advertising????

carltonp5
10/16/13

Nothing but sales calls from them lately.

45 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP?