AARP

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

AARP has a consumer rating of 2.76 stars from 116 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. AARP also ranks 2nd among Retirement sites. The most common issues with AARP are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

• My husband called their customer service immediately to report it and of course they did not know what could be done.
  • Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp.
  • It took me 3 years to realize where all of these calls were orignating from.
How would you rate AARP?

“Representative Ethan”

M G.
3/5/20

After speaking to a representative named Ethan I feel compelled to let you know that you have a very well spoken patient thorough and all-around a pleasure to speak to representative. Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service. AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation. As I am well-versed in customer service I feel the need to express the importance of his performance, which was absolutely flawless. It should not go unnoticed by the company. I hope that do you agree and are in the practice of giving praise and acknowledging a great performance on the part of one representing your brand. Thank you so much Mariblanca Gutierrez

“MY UHC”

dan m.
2/3/20

UHC prescription drug plan while cheaper is worthless. Absolutely do not choose the MY UHC prescription drug plan unless you prefer waiting for weeks to jump through the hoops to get a "specialty drug." Customer service totally lacking in knowledge, as a last resort they transfer you to the "specialty" to complete your prescription. In our case nearly six weeks of back and forth and still no Enbrel or the generic. Switch to Humana or any other but do not select UHC.

customer service (9) car insurance (7) 3 years (3) auto insurance (6) life insurance (3) junk mail (4) 3 months (4)
danm617
February 3rd, 2020
msm150
February 19th, 2020
There are zero stars... AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ. I have called several times to no avail of satisfaction. Emails have been sent and nothing. I truly am so DISPLEASED that I will not renew membership! Also, I have tried to call Corporate and again nothing. This such is bull---t. Too many employed and not enough service.I would never recommend AARP to anyone ever! Should anyone reading this at AARP care enough to contact me to assist; my email can be found under my plan # of *******286. Thank you.
chrisr757
March 16th, 2020
Based on AARP's recommendation I purchased Medicare Part D fro United Healthcare. They spent 3 months telling me that I had other coverage from the employer that I retired from. We finally got that worked out and I find out that they have been overcharging me since August 2019 through April of 2020. After spending 3 hours on the phone and finally talking to someone they said sorry nothing they can do and they will continue charging me too much. Do not make the mistake of trusting an AARP recommendation or buying insurance from United Healthcare.
paulab72
March 5th, 2020
When i turned 50 i received an invitation to join AARP.I declinded the membership because it doesn't relate to my interests.I have received advertisments in the mail about senior citzen complexes and step in tubs.The magazine and newspaper aren't exciting.The magazine promotes jitterbug and consumer cellular.Phone services which aren't geared to my needs.
michaelf1206
December 13th, 2019
This is the one company that Locksmiths will tell you is the most difficult to work with. They never refunded my $125. I had to file 3 claims for a tow truck, before they finally provided the right size for me, when I gave specific instructions on what I needed. Also, who knows why they have American in their name, because anybody that you speak to will be Middle Eastern and you'll have a pleasant tango of both of you figuring out what the other is saying. Don't waste your money, like I did.
debbiel230
February 29th, 2020
If you compare what they offer for just about everything, you can do better somewhere else. I have no idea where the money I sent to them is going. i still have 2 more years, but I will not renew.
elvine4
March 15th, 2020
Paying for nothing..car insurance race premium as you get older. The older you get the more money you pay, consumer Cellular is a joke.
nancyc183
October 9th, 2019
Any time I have tried to get any kind of a discount useing aarp , out of 50 places I have tried to use it I have found only 2 businesses that took it and my big savings was .30 wow I paid $45.00 for 2 years . who got the best deal there . I would not ever recommend aarp to anyone !
mariee81
March 26th, 2020
I could not remember if I signed up for AARP and got something in the mail that said I had expired. Asked the web what was my membership dates and could not get the information. Reregistered and low and behold instead of the 3 years I had bought I had evidently bought 4 years previously, and my membership would not expire until 2027, UGH
ronniet12
April 21st, 2019
It never fails when these clucks offer a daily contest. As it gets towards the end, they deny you access, block you (maybe even punish you!); I have been trying for TWO DAYS (now) to enter and it looks like I'm done being allowed to enter daily (why? What did I do?). Same goes for their f!@#$%^&*ed up tease Rewards For Good (website). I have a tease code that I can NOT enter! First day, I had no clue as to why the blocking. Today there is a lame line maintenance. How long does a website take to do maintenance? This is CRUEL! If a site can not (and refuses) to keep their stupid website up and running 24/7, then they should NOT be allowed on the web!
as874
March 31st, 2020
This organization supports everything a conservative American does not! They keep soliciting me SMs other Americans even after requesting that they stop.
samuelm231
January 31st, 2020
As a new AARP member I recently joined to take advantage of their travel discounts. After clicking on a travel link through one of their many emails to look up a specific cruise, the price was the same whether I went through AARP or just used one of many travel sites. EXACTLY the same, to the penny. So where's the discount? I feel I've been ripped off. Here are 2 more examples of no discount that I pasted to prove my point: These appeared on both pages.

Book your cruise with Expedia and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.

Book your cruise with AARP Travel Center and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.
mg733
March 5th, 2020
Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service.
AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation.

Mariblanca Gutierrez
susank156
March 17th, 2020
I called to change my email address and the customer service person made a mistake and wiped out my account so that I was asked to pay dues that were just paid and asked to join AARP rewards which I had already joined and had about 3700 points on that day. I then spent over three hours trying to get these points restored including speaking with two supervisors one of which promised to get back with me and never did and the other said there was nothing she could do to correct the mistake. Given that AARP had just taken away 13,700 points in the Rewards for Good a few months ago (these are points you have to earn with surveys and exams), I think that I would advise everyone to be very wary of this organization. They do not have the ability to correct their employees errors and care very little about their members. They also seem to have very limited understanding of problem solving instead preferring to ask the same questions over and over. They have little concern about the fact that an employee mistake costs their member 3700 points and three hours of wasted time. This is insanity.
cynthiaj118
November 2nd, 2019
I'm am disgusted with all the advertisement; internet, social media, tv, radio and US mail that I recieve. I have NOT found ONE helpful offering! The jitterbug, computer, ALL insurances; vehicle, life and esp, United Health care-supplemental, travel (flights, car rental, hotels, etc) are FAR MORE EXPENSIVE when using the AARP "BENEFITS" Card. I had a disastrous, very expensive experience with cellular 1. I repeatedly gave my AARP membership ads a try. ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE QUOTES. Several conversations I had with AARP stated that the companies that advertise with AARP are NOT AARP APPROVED or PROMOTED products. AARP is purely accepting the money these companies pay AARP for advertising. It ONLY LOOKS like AARP IS PROMOTING the product. What is AARP really doing for the senior community?
rogerm666
March 20th, 2020
I was told by a friend that aarp had good low cost auto insurance through Hartford, but I had to be a member of aarp. I joined and got the insurance but after a couple years it doubled in price and my mail box was always full of ads from aarp trying to sell me more things. finally i started checking prices and found the same coverage from state farm for less than half the price.
i cancelled my policy jan 15 2020 and they still took my auto payment out on the 18th after telling me they wouldn't be taking it out. here it is march 20 and they're still telling me that they are returning my money (i'm still waiting). their prices are only bait to get you to sign up with them then they just hope you don't notice the constant rate increases.
aarp must be getting a good share of the profits to keep sending out all those ads for their partner companies.
now that i am no longer using that auto insurance i am dropping aarp.
edp127
December 17th, 2019
Never used the discounts on trips or motels but used the homeowners and had a roof after several years get damaged by hail and almost had to get a lawyer to get them to pay and they rated it so bad. After that I had to change homeowners as they doubled my cost of Hartford insurance. Than they went after my auto insurance and raised it so high we changed it too. We had never had tickets nor a claim and they did this because we dropped their homeowners. At the same they did a rip on my medicare insurance and I had to get Medicare involved to fix that.
tomt319
May 30th, 2019
AARP is a total rip-off, no tangible benefit and nothing but trouble for your membership. I joined primarily out of curiosity; the annual fee is cheap enough: but what I got was:

1. A worthless magazine full of rip-off advertisements
2. Put on endless mailing lists for all sorts of things I don't want: medical devices, mortgage loans, insurance, overpriced travel, etc. I receive AARP junk mail literally every day now!
3. Worthless discounts on a variety of products and services; a simple internet search reveals better deals in many other vendors.

Overall a useless program designed to rip-off it's members in every way, they even auto-renew your membership without asking then refuse to reimburse you when cancelled!
nonyab19
February 4th, 2019
Like almost every other review, all I got from this membership was a fee and an abundance of unwanted mail and phone solicitation. I could fill up a large garbage bag every week from the nonsense offers I get on an almost daily basis. I didn't renew after one year and I get at least two renewal notices a week from them, on top of the businesses they sold my info to. I have at least 60 numbers blocked on my phone because of these pigs.
debbiem331
February 11th, 2019
Misled by rep about my refund cancellation. Refund if cancelled in 24 hours.... flight yes - hotel part of package no, however was told probably would be charged a % and couldn't say how timely a return. Never traveled out of the country so my first booking. Allowed myself to be pressured to make the reservation "only 7 slots left - don't want to lose this deal." I am presently out over $1,800!
This is supposed to be an organization that assists individuals over 50 not cheat them. Dropping my membership.
jtt16
September 20th, 2019
The metal pull tag on each travel bag sent as a renewal gift break off too easily, making the compartments unusable! The only bag that didn't have that problem was the duffel bag with side pockets and the main compartment; that bag's zippers work well!
marcg113
October 3rd, 2019
first of all AARP is an inapt place to do any business with they say that they can save you money on different things like car insurance house insurance deductibles are medical it is also all false as I remember I used to be and a 65 I should get decent benefits decent quotes in this not happening I would advise everybody to stay away from AARP they're just concerned about their profits that is it when you call they give you all these different answers not directed towards the problem so stay away
donnam740
May 5th, 2019
This site has been no help nor offered any discounts that I've requested. I've attempted to use restaurants but only Denny's and Outback steakhouse in my area (not Red Lobster). And no discounts for Amtrak just siteseeing train excursions. Point blank Worthless!!!
melodyg28
June 8th, 2019
the consumer cellular has been ripping me off every month and finally I left them. I am 55 years old and I am so disgusted with Consumer cellular and their phony charges. I curse the day I saw this company recommended by AARP. I also cancelled with them as well. It seems they are all set up to take advantage of senior citizens. Thank God for Tmobile and their 55 year or older plan . They charge me and my husband total of $70 flat without any more fees for unlimited everything and include international and roaming.
juanital28
September 27th, 2019
I have a major complaint about the AARP roadside assistance. I paid for my tow and was to be reimbursed. My plan says under 100 miles. The tow was 40 miles. I paid $198 to the AARP rep on the phone. I was only reimbursed $120. I called and the person I spoke with said that is all I will get back. I am very disappointed in this service and have asked to cancel. I do not recommend this service at all.

AARP is just not worth it to me. All the services and insurances they offer, are not a good deal. So they aren't doing me or my husband any favors.

By Debbie L.

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

I wouldn't signup with AARP for love nor money...and money is what it will cost you and you will get nothing, zippo, zero from them but a "run around" and junk mail. They are worthless.

By Judith K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.

tisas3
Tisa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Have a question about AARP?