AARP

AARP has a consumer rating of 2.29 stars from 171 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about AARP most frequently mention customer service, car insurance and junk mail problems. AARP ranks 4th among Retirement sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 8.8%

No positive highlights yet

• The customer service reps he speaks to basically saying he is lying in so many words.
How would you rate AARP?

“Amazing service”

Kurt M.
10/28/20

Spoke with a David Brooks, a specialist at AARP upon signing up for benefits. This was the best customer service I've had in a long time. Speaking with David was a very enjoyable experience and he definitely knew his job. He was very knowledgeable in his field and was able to answer all my questions. I look forward to dealing with him and the company in the future.

“Still sitting here”

Howard F.
4/12/21

We hit a huge hole on the turnpike just South of Atlantic Ave. Blew out 2 tires. Called AARP immediately after completing the police report at 11:20am. The told us they would come within 120 min. Then called and confirmed with all the wrong information- so frustrated. It's now 4:00pm. Ridiculous! And they are still not here. Totally unacceptable! We will be finding another service for sure. I do not recommend them AT ALL!

customer service (13)
howardf398
April 12th, 2021

valeriep230
June 21st, 2021

If you're a member of AARP and you receive a offer for a free gift for car insurance through The Hartford insurance company, don't bother. They sent one to me and not[only were their prices 1,000 more they never sent my gift. (Big RIPOFF)!
When I called AARP for help, all I got was sorry it's out of our hands.
I told them to never send me promotions ever again.
Vpage
CHARLESTON SC

dickj32
December 8th, 2020

They give you a bunch of points for exercise and quizzes and other things that you can mostly use only for getting $5 off of a $50 gift card somewhere. You get a better deal and the hotel reward points by going directly to the hotel website than through AARP. Now, they took away their useless points once and the replacement points are expiring starting in January 2021. The whole thing is a complete waste of time. Their Medicare advantage plans suck as well.

kurtm323
October 28th, 2020

cindim39
May 31st, 2020

I do not recommend purchasing AARP at all! This is the best possible way to waste your money! There aren't any benefits that I can use. I purchased 3 years. I just gave away my money to them for Nothing! You have to go to specific restaurants to get a 10% discount, which is nothing compared to the prices. On top of that I don't eat out at those places. The free gift is so cheaply made that it wasn't worth getting either! I won't ever renew any part of AARP company!

davidp2070
June 18th, 2020

I joined in 2018. I did not find any value to the membership. Constant spam mail to buy their life insurance. The discounts they promise are Senior Citizen discounts, not AARP discounts. So I didn't re-join. THAT'S when the real fun started. I received dozens upon dozens of pieces of spam mail both real and electronic. At least ten were labeled or prefaced by "... last chance to re-join!" They finally stopped and now I'm getting a renewed campaign to join up. I sure would love to get off their mailing list, do you think this will do it? Lol

danm617
February 3rd, 2020

UHC prescription drug plan while cheaper is worthless. Absolutely do not choose the MY UHC prescription drug plan unless you prefer waiting for weeks to jump through the hoops to get a "specialty drug." Customer service totally lacking in knowledge, as a last resort they transfer you to the "specialty" to complete your prescription. In our case nearly six weeks of back and forth and still no Enbrel or the generic. Switch to Humana or any other but do not select UHC.

stephenl987
September 8th, 2021

I look to AARP for the basics; info on health, insurance, financial trends, legislation in progress, ect. Dont look at it more than a few times a month.
When AARP veers off into politics and opinion I lose interest instantly and exit the app.
I dont care what bruce sringsteen or michele obama think about anything. Seriously, I dont.
If I wanted to read people magazine I'd buy one.
That whole celebrity worship is a disease itself.
So I just use it for it's useful purposes and ignore the rest.

maryl2035
March 27th, 2021

Will not be renewing my membership. More interested in selling members more products instead of lobbying for seniors. Lost it's direction. Useless with regards to the stimulus delays.

susanh2035
April 6th, 2021

Disappointed that AARP magazine would have this company advertise for seniors! The worst! 400$ more than buying a stand up walker online! FIRST STREET FOR BOOMERS AND BEYOND in Colonial Heights VA is the worst!

Returning the walker

msm150
February 19th, 2020

There are zero stars... AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ. I have called several times to no avail of satisfaction. Emails have been sent and nothing. I truly am so DISPLEASED that I will not renew membership! Also, I have tried to call Corporate and again nothing. This such is bull---t. Too many employed and not enough service. I would never recommend AARP to anyone ever! Should anyone reading this at AARP care enough to contact me to assist; my email can be found under my plan # of *******286. Thank you.

chrisr757
March 16th, 2020

Based on AARP's recommendation I purchased Medicare Part D fro United Healthcare. They spent 3 months telling me that I had other coverage from the employer that I retired from. We finally got that worked out and I find out that they have been overcharging me since August 2019 through April of 2020. After spending 3 hours on the phone and finally talking to someone they said sorry nothing they can do and they will continue charging me too much. Do not make the mistake of trusting an AARP recommendation or buying insurance from United Healthcare.

leighw77
June 5th, 2021

Even after cancelling my membership I'm still getting mountains of mail trying to sell me another insurance policy. I joined for a year and got absolutely no benefits. This is a scam on seniors They spend your money on their politics and are now funding PBS shows instead of working to get discounts for seniors. My AAA card is more of a benefit and AAA is certainly more ethical in their promises. This company should be sued with a truth in advertising law because they are definitely not providing what they advertise. If I could give them zero stars I would

Tip for consumers:
Don’t join AARP

None

tjs79
August 7th, 2020

I joined AARP to reap the benefits afforded to people over 50 but was shocked by what I did get. Endless snail mail offering Life Insurance etc. I finally had to google for a method to get it stopped, and did. A constant stream of emails that when opened were so completely cluttered it made me tired just looking at them. They offered so many choices of things to read and advertisements it was mind blowing. I had to unsubscribe from several of them to keep my box from filling up with AARP. After a couple of years, I've only used my discount once. It has been a complete disappointment.
It occurred to me that AARP is more interested in making $$$ than it is in serving the needs of the elderly. I wish a new program would be developed for those of us 50+ that focused on simplicity could be generated featuring articles that are decluttered and pertinent to our situations. (In fairness AARP does have some of these.) A tab for information like Life Insurance, Hearing Aids, Long Term Care Information etc. only if you want it, not sent to everyone. A place to access all the benefits of the program to learn what discounts your membership entitles you to. A section for travel and recommendations of companies all streamlined and easy to access.

claudiob174
August 13th, 2021

The AARP discounts for auto insurance, hotel bookings, and car rentals are less than useless. Non-affiliated service providers beat AARP prices every single time I've gone for these services. If AARP offers something else that's worth the membership, then someone please enlighten me.

johnw3781
March 19th, 2021

I rated AARP the lowest because they claim to advocate for seniors, but the liberal agenda oppresses my voice. My membership fees are moving to a company that provides my voice to help create programs that meet my needs and not their own.

garym1132
December 3rd, 2020

We carry AARP supplementary insurance. Both policies are important, but we have had difficulty with switching billing from autopay to paper billing. After 4 calls of trying to resolve the issues, I received a notice that our accounts were soon to become delinquent and cancelled. The service reps in the first calls assured me that they would immediately send a paper statement. They never came, hence the all telling me that we were delinquent. I made the credit card payment but have virtually no confidence that I will receive a paper statement. I assume the battle will rage indefinitely. I will say that every service person I ever talked to in my 17 years with at AARP are professional and friendly. The last four simply could not make billing happen. I just talked to the billing office. The rep there sounds promising.

Tip for consumers:
Never assume that a resolution has been reached when talking to a customer service rep. You will need to be dogged in follow-up. You will need to jump all their hurdles to reach someone, probably more than once, twice or three times. This is a very different from other experiences I have had with AARP.

AARP supplementary insurance.

dand621
June 26th, 2020

Over the last few years AARP has continued to send me information claiming that I expressed interest in joining them. I have never expressed interest in them. They keep telling me it will take a few weeks to stop the mailings. They have been telling me that for almost a year!
They're spending money to mail the information that I don't want!

stevenf972
July 20th, 2021

Having been a member of AARP since turning 55, am now 72, I have consistently noticed a greater and greater relationship with United Health Care Insurance. The amount of money this company gives to AARP is certainly a large factor in that relationship. However, the founding principle of AARP is to serve it older membership in ways that benefit them not just AARP. What many seniors are not aware of is that Medicare supplements have to offer the same basic benefits. For example, plan E does not require copays, or in network providers. The only difference between various insurance companies for this policy is price. United HealthCare is among the most expensive. What AARP should be doing is letting its members know that they should check with an independent insurance agent to see what the best price vs benefits they can get for their supplemental.

tw657
October 14th, 2020

In a mailing i received on 10-14-2020, they want me to believe that Trump is in process of eliminating funding for SSA. He did suspend the payroll deduction tax on employers for employees making less than 100k per year as a reaction to the pandemic. The operative word is defer rather than eliminate yet AARP not only sends an inflammatory written letter to their membership but wants you to sign the petition to he and both speakers. This is inflammatory to the voter base and false information within 20 days of an election. I will not be a part of this and cancelled my subscription today.

joeb1431
July 3rd, 2020

I signed up for the AARP Driver Review course to receive an insurance discount. I immediately started the 6 hour program. I had several problems with the program not advancing and having to restart a particular module. The biggest problem came after I logged out and returned 45 minutes later to continue. To my amazement, it didn't save any of my 3 hours of work even though it said you can stop at any time and pick back up where you left off. I tried calling but they were closed. I sent an e-mail and I received an automated response that they are backed up beyond the usual 72 hour response time! I can't believe this organization. I will never consider them for any of their products or services. They had no problem taking my money and now that I have a problem their customer service is terrible.

markd2193
July 28th, 2021

Thought I was paying health insurance. Came to find out they were Auto withdrawals every month. For a magazine. My banker pointed it out. After numerous calls to AARP. I stopped payments. They took me to court, put a ding on my credit. This is the best part. I never gave them permission to access my bank account.

Not AARP.

michaelf1206
December 13th, 2019

This is the one company that Locksmiths will tell you is the most difficult to work with. They never refunded my $125. I had to file 3 claims for a tow truck, before they finally provided the right size for me, when I gave specific instructions on what I needed. Also, who knows why they have American in their name, because anybody that you speak to will be Middle Eastern and you'll have a pleasant tango of both of you figuring out what the other is saying. Don't waste your money, like I did.

johnm6477
January 8th, 2021

AARP sells your personal information to third rate company's! AARP constantly fills my mailbox with junk mail. Even though I cancelled my membership over 2 years ago when I realized that all the company's
Recommended by AARP were third rate company's and very expensive. It was 8 years before I realized
That never received there free gift. However I have seen plenty of there free gifts still in the plastic wrappers in my buildings dumpster!
I live in a huge (Seniors only) development called Century Village in Boca Raton, Florida When I shared this experience at our board meeting I found out that dead residents were being renewed for 5 years and there grandchildren were stuck with the junk mail!
After I told them to stop emailing me over 2 years ago and to stop giving my address out!
This week alone I RECEIVED 5 forms of correspondence!

mikales
August 24th, 2020

AARP is a total rip off for US Seniors. The CEO cares more about political socialist activism than Seniors!

I did not know AARP endorsed Suze Orman! That's disgusting! That woman ripped off so many others she needs to be barred from using the AARP website! PERMANENTLY! It's shameful that a woman would takeONE red penny from AARP or any other person in the world. She cheated people out of millions! For shame, Orman!

By Terry R.

AARP is just not worth it to me. All the services and insurances they offer, are not a good deal. So they aren't doing me or my husband any favors.

By Debbie L.

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

I wouldn't signup with AARP for love nor money... and money is what it will cost you and you will get nothing, zippo, zero from them but a "run around" and junk mail. They are worthless.

By Judith K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.

tisas3
Tisa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Have a question about AARP?