AARP

AARP has a consumer rating of 2.47 stars from 139 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about AARP most frequently mention customer service, senior citizens and united health problems. AARP ranks 2nd among Retirement sites.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 2.6%

No positive highlights yet

• AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ.
  • Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp.
How would you rate AARP?

“Representative Ethan”

M G.
3/5/20

After speaking to a representative named Ethan I feel compelled to let you know that you have a very well spoken patient thorough and all-around a pleasure to speak to representative. Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service. AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation. As I am well-versed in customer service I feel the need to express the importance of his performance, which was absolutely flawless. It should not go unnoticed by the company. I hope that do you agree and are in the practice of giving praise and acknowledging a great performance on the part of one representing your brand. Thank you so much Mariblanca Gutierrez

“Worthless membership!”

Cindi M.
5/31/20

I do not recommend purchasing AARP at all! This is the best possible way to waste your money! There aren't any benefits that I can use. I purchased 3 years. I just gave away my money to them for Nothing! You have to go to specific restaurants to get a 10% discount, which is nothing compared to the prices. On top of that I don't eat out at those places. The free gift is so cheaply made that it wasn't worth getting either! I won't ever renew any part of AARP company!

customer service (11) car insurance (9) life insurance (6) 3 months (5) 3 years (4) auto insurance (6) junk mail (4)
cindim39
May 31st, 2020
davidp2070
June 18th, 2020
I joined in 2018. I did not find any value to the membership. Constant spam mail to buy their life insurance. The discounts they promise are Senior Citizen discounts, not AARP discounts. So I didn't re-join. THAT'S when the real fun started. I received dozens upon dozens of pieces of spam mail both real and electronic. At least ten were labeled or prefaced by "... last chance to re-join!" They finally stopped and now I'm getting a renewed campaign to join up. I sure would love to get off their mailing list, do you think this will do it? Lol
danm617
February 3rd, 2020
UHC prescription drug plan while cheaper is worthless. Absolutely do not choose the MY UHC prescription drug plan unless you prefer waiting for weeks to jump through the hoops to get a "specialty drug." Customer service totally lacking in knowledge, as a last resort they transfer you to the "specialty" to complete your prescription. In our case nearly six weeks of back and forth and still no Enbrel or the generic. Switch to Humana or any other but do not select UHC.
mg733
March 5th, 2020
Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service.
AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation.

Mariblanca Gutierrez
msm150
February 19th, 2020
There are zero stars... AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ. I have called several times to no avail of satisfaction. Emails have been sent and nothing. I truly am so DISPLEASED that I will not renew membership! Also, I have tried to call Corporate and again nothing. This such is bull---t. Too many employed and not enough service. I would never recommend AARP to anyone ever! Should anyone reading this at AARP care enough to contact me to assist; my email can be found under my plan # of *******286. Thank you.
chrisr757
March 16th, 2020
Based on AARP's recommendation I purchased Medicare Part D fro United Healthcare. They spent 3 months telling me that I had other coverage from the employer that I retired from. We finally got that worked out and I find out that they have been overcharging me since August 2019 through April of 2020. After spending 3 hours on the phone and finally talking to someone they said sorry nothing they can do and they will continue charging me too much. Do not make the mistake of trusting an AARP recommendation or buying insurance from United Healthcare.
dand621
June 26th, 2020
Over the last few years AARP has continued to send me information claiming that I expressed interest in joining them. I have never expressed interest in them. They keep telling me it will take a few weeks to stop the mailings. They have been telling me that for almost a year!
They're spending money to mail the information that I don't want!
tw657
October 14th, 2020
In a mailing i received on 10-14-2020, they want me to believe that Trump is in process of eliminating funding for SSA. He did suspend the payroll deduction tax on employers for employees making less than 100k per year as a reaction to the pandemic. The operative word is defer rather than eliminate yet AARP not only sends an inflammatory written letter to their membership but wants you to sign the petition to he and both speakers. This is inflammatory to the voter base and false information within 20 days of an election. I will not be a part of this and cancelled my subscription today.
joeb1431
July 3rd, 2020
I signed up for the AARP Driver Review course to receive an insurance discount. I immediately started the 6 hour program. I had several problems with the program not advancing and having to restart a particular module. The biggest problem came after I logged out and returned 45 minutes later to continue. To my amazement, it didn't save any of my 3 hours of work even though it said you can stop at any time and pick back up where you left off. I tried calling but they were closed. I sent an e-mail and I received an automated response that they are backed up beyond the usual 72 hour response time! I can't believe this organization. I will never consider them for any of their products or services. They had no problem taking my money and now that I have a problem their customer service is terrible.
michaelf1206
December 13th, 2019
This is the one company that Locksmiths will tell you is the most difficult to work with. They never refunded my $125. I had to file 3 claims for a tow truck, before they finally provided the right size for me, when I gave specific instructions on what I needed. Also, who knows why they have American in their name, because anybody that you speak to will be Middle Eastern and you'll have a pleasant tango of both of you figuring out what the other is saying. Don't waste your money, like I did.
mikales
August 24th, 2020
AARP is a total rip off for US Seniors. The CEO cares more about political socialist activism than Seniors!
ruthn136
July 18th, 2020
I sent all information in to get insurance on my car and when ever thing was approved I sent payment. After that they canceled my insurance and left me hanging with 7 days left to get coverage.My advice for it is worth is not to have ant dealings with AARP. I should have looked at there ratings before doing any with them. There ratings are very bad.
sharonw676
June 2nd, 2020
I renewed our membership for AARP recently. I tried to do it online. I should have just mailed it in. I know that I marked it for 5 years to save money, but it jumped me down to one year. I called to talk to someone about it. The person was so rude. I think that I must have interrupted her dinner. I couldn't understand what she was saying, so she repeated it rudely. She was rude in everything she said. I told her that I marked the 5 year. She said no I didn't. Sorry. I told her that she was rude. Not sure if we will renew.
gurud1
July 16th, 2020
I have been a member fir more that 20 years. I remained member only to support the Senior cause. Hiwever, in my opinion, it's purely a commercial venture in the name of seniors. Recently I and my wife took online driver safety course. We were overcharged by Ignoring their ownPromotional and membership discount, Even after completing The course, we were unable to download or print the certificate due to their glitch.We wrote fir weeks but got no response, no solution and no apology. Calling was useless as no one picked up the phone under the excuse of COVID 19.
The most frustrating aspect is lack of accountability, communication and apathy towards the members.
kqt
July 1st, 2020
Nothing I can use. I don't travel or eat out, especially now during Covid. It may be of value to some just not me.
debbiel230
February 29th, 2020
If you compare what they offer for just about everything, you can do better somewhere else. I have no idea where the money I sent to them is going. I still have 2 more years, but I will not renew.
elvine4
March 15th, 2020
Paying for nothing. Car insurance race premium as you get older. The older you get the more money you pay, consumer Cellular is a joke.
babsm5
July 10th, 2020
They are geared for older population obviously but their customer service is HORRIBLE. The process is circuitous to say the least. They are inefficient and slow. Completely maddening. You have to go through 8 prompts BEFORE you can make an online payment. Then, you are transferred to a representative who does everything R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y. They go over everything, 3 times or more. They ask you how you are. They ask how the weather is where you are. They repeat everything you say to them. Twice. I get it that they are working with older people some of whom are lonely and paying their AARP bill is the highlight of their day. However, it is infuriating to deal with if you don't want to spend your entire day on the phone.
robertk1099
April 5th, 2020
This is one of the most useless organizations I have ever been a member of. I couldn't find any assistance on any of the products or services I was looking for. And the products and services they were pushing to get you to buy or organizations they try to get you to join I can find on my own without their assistance. So I dropped out after 3 months of membership.
mariee81
March 26th, 2020
I could not remember if I signed up for AARP and got something in the mail that said I had expired. Asked the web what was my membership dates and could not get the information. Reregistered and low and behold instead of the 3 years I had bought I had evidently bought 4 years previously, and my membership would not expire until 2027, UGH
stevef700
October 7th, 2020
My mother was paying 1200 a year for car insurance via aarp. I got her added to my insurance for 200 a year. AARP/ liberty mutual is sending her account to collections because they feel their coverage is better, even though we cancelled the policy. AARP was useful at one time. Now their just a fraud purveyor.

Tip for consumers: Get rid of your aarp membership and stop getting sucked in to their scams.

as874
March 31st, 2020
This organization supports everything a conservative American does not! They keep soliciting me SMs other Americans even after requesting that they stop.
samuelm231
January 31st, 2020
As a new AARP member I recently joined to take advantage of their travel discounts. After clicking on a travel link through one of their many emails to look up a specific cruise, the price was the same whether I went through AARP or just used one of many travel sites. EXACTLY the same, to the penny. So where's the discount? I feel I've been ripped off. Here are 2 more examples of no discount that I pasted to prove my point: These appeared on both pages.

Book your cruise with Expedia and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.

Book your cruise with AARP Travel Center and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.
michaelb148
May 2nd, 2014
aarp.org is the official site of the AARP non-profit organization. Don't confuse it with aarp.com which is essentially there to sell insurance. Although oriented to seniors, there is tons of information and advice applicable to anyone. There is so much stuff on this website it is like drinking out of a fire hydrant. If you followed every link, you would be at it for days. Go to it for games, travel info, restaurant recommendations, job search info, health care, mobil app suggestions, tax info, it goes on and on. You don't have to be an AARP member to use the web site.
dorothyd269
June 11th, 2020
Signed up for the online drivers course as a member since my membership was good through 2023. However I was not able to register until I signed up for another year's membership! Just didn't make any sense!

AARP is just not worth it to me. All the services and insurances they offer, are not a good deal. So they aren't doing me or my husband any favors.

By Debbie L.

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

I wouldn't signup with AARP for love nor money... and money is what it will cost you and you will get nothing, zippo, zero from them but a "run around" and junk mail. They are worthless.

By Judith K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.

tisas3
Tisa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Have a question about AARP?