AARP

2018 CUSTOMER CHOICE AWARD

AARP has a consumer rating of 2.56 stars from 131 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. AARP also ranks 1st among Retirement sites. The most common issues with AARP are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 2.4%

• AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ.
  • Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp.
  • It took me 3 years to realize where all of these calls were orignating from.
How would you rate AARP?

“Representative Ethan”

M G.
3/5/20

After speaking to a representative named Ethan I feel compelled to let you know that you have a very well spoken patient thorough and all-around a pleasure to speak to representative. Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service. AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation. As I am well-versed in customer service I feel the need to express the importance of his performance, which was absolutely flawless. It should not go unnoticed by the company. I hope that do you agree and are in the practice of giving praise and acknowledging a great performance on the part of one representing your brand. Thank you so much Mariblanca Gutierrez

“Worthless membership!”

Cindi M.
5/31/20

I do not recommend purchasing AARP at all!! This is the best possible way to waste your money! There aren't any benefits that I can use. I purchased 3 years. I just gave away my money to them for Nothing! You have to go to specific restaurants to get a 10% discount, which is nothing compared to the prices. On top of that I don't eat out at those places. The free gift is so cheaply made that it wasn't worth getting either! I won't ever renew any part of AARP company!

customer service (11) car insurance (7) 3 years (4) life insurance (4) 3 months (5) auto insurance (6) junk mail (4)
cindim39
May 31st, 2020
davidp2070
June 18th, 2020
I joined in 2018. I did not find any value to the membership. Constant spam mail to buy their life insurance. The discounts they promise are Senior Citizen discounts, not AARP discounts. So I didn't re-join. THAT'S when the real fun started. I received dozens upon dozens of pieces of spam mail both real and electronic. At least ten were labeled or prefaced by "...last chance to re-join!" They finally stopped and now I'm getting a renewed campaign to join up. I sure would love to get off their mailing list, do you think this will do it? lol
danm617
February 3rd, 2020
UHC prescription drug plan while cheaper is worthless. Absolutely do not choose the MY UHC prescription drug plan unless you prefer waiting for weeks to jump through the hoops to get a "specialty drug." Customer service totally lacking in knowledge, as a last resort they transfer you to the "specialty" to complete your prescription. In our case nearly six weeks of back and forth and still no Enbrel or the generic. Switch to Humana or any other but do not select UHC.
paulab72
March 5th, 2020
When i turned 50 i received an invitation to join AARP.I declinded the membership because it doesn't relate to my interests.I have received advertisments in the mail about senior citzen complexes and step in tubs.The magazine and newspaper aren't exciting.The magazine promotes jitterbug and consumer cellular.Phone services which aren't geared to my needs.
msm150
February 19th, 2020
There are zero stars... AARP's customer service is horrible in the state of AZ. I have called several times to no avail of satisfaction. Emails have been sent and nothing. I truly am so DISPLEASED that I will not renew membership! Also, I have tried to call Corporate and again nothing. This such is bull---t. Too many employed and not enough service.I would never recommend AARP to anyone ever! Should anyone reading this at AARP care enough to contact me to assist; my email can be found under my plan # of *******286. Thank you.
nancyc183
October 9th, 2019
Any time I have tried to get any kind of a discount useing aarp , out of 50 places I have tried to use it I have found only 2 businesses that took it and my big savings was .30 wow I paid $45.00 for 2 years . who got the best deal there . I would not ever recommend aarp to anyone !
chrisr757
March 16th, 2020
Based on AARP's recommendation I purchased Medicare Part D fro United Healthcare. They spent 3 months telling me that I had other coverage from the employer that I retired from. We finally got that worked out and I find out that they have been overcharging me since August 2019 through April of 2020. After spending 3 hours on the phone and finally talking to someone they said sorry nothing they can do and they will continue charging me too much. Do not make the mistake of trusting an AARP recommendation or buying insurance from United Healthcare.
mg733
March 5th, 2020
Ethan embodies the definition of great customer service.
AARP is fortunate to have this caliber of representation.

Mariblanca Gutierrez
dand621
June 26th, 2020
Over the last few years AARP has continued to send me information claiming that I expressed interest in joining them. I have never expressed interest in them. They keep telling me it will take a few weeks to stop the mailings. They have been telling me that for almost a year!!
They're spending money to mail the information that I don't want!!
joeb1431
July 3rd, 2020
I signed up for the AARP Driver Review course to receive an insurance discount. I immediately started the 6 hour program. I had several problems with the program not advancing and having to restart a particular module. The biggest problem came after I logged out and returned 45 minutes later to continue. To my amazement, it didn't save any of my 3 hours of work even though it said you can stop at any time and pick back up where you left off. I tried calling but they were closed. I sent an e-mail and I received an automated response that they are backed up beyond the usual 72 hour response time! I can't believe this organization . I will never consider them for any of their products or services. They had no problem taking my money and now that I have a problem their customer service is terrible.
michaelf1206
December 13th, 2019
This is the one company that Locksmiths will tell you is the most difficult to work with. They never refunded my $125. I had to file 3 claims for a tow truck, before they finally provided the right size for me, when I gave specific instructions on what I needed. Also, who knows why they have American in their name, because anybody that you speak to will be Middle Eastern and you'll have a pleasant tango of both of you figuring out what the other is saying. Don't waste your money, like I did.
ruthn136
July 18th, 2020
I sent all information in to get insurance on my car and when ever thing was approved I sent payment . After that they canceled my insurance and left me hanging with 7 days left to get coverage.My advice for it is worth is not to have ant dealings with AARP. I should have looked at there ratings before doing any with them.There ratings are very bad.
sharonw676
June 2nd, 2020
I renewed our membership for AARP recently. I tried to do it online. I should have just mailed it in. I know that I marked it for 5 years to save money, but it jumped me down to one year. I called to talk to someone about it. the person was so rude. I think that I must have interrupted her dinner. I couldn't understand what she was saying, so she repeated it rudely. She was rude in everything she said. I told her that I marked the 5 year. She said no I didn't. Sorry. I told her that she was rude. not sure if we will renew.
gurud1
July 16th, 2020
I have been a member fir more that 20 years . I remained member only to support the Senior cause.Hiwever, in my opinion, it's purely a commercial venture in the name of seniors.Recently I and my wife took online driver safety course. We were overcharged by Ignoring their ownPromotional and membership discount,Even after completing The course, we were unable to download or print the certificate due to their glitch.We wrote fir weeks but got no response, no solution and no apology.Calling was useless as no one picked up the phone under the excuse of COVID 19.
The most frustrating aspect is lack of accountability, communication and apathy towards the members.
kqt
July 1st, 2020
Nothing I can use. I don't travel or eat out, especially now during Covid. It may be of value to some just not me.
debbiel230
February 29th, 2020
If you compare what they offer for just about everything, you can do better somewhere else. I have no idea where the money I sent to them is going. i still have 2 more years, but I will not renew.
elvine4
March 15th, 2020
Paying for nothing..car insurance race premium as you get older. The older you get the more money you pay, consumer Cellular is a joke.
babsm5
July 10th, 2020
They are geared for older population obviously but their customer service is HORRIBLE. The process is circuitous to say the least. They are inefficient and slow. Completely maddening. You have to go through 8 prompts BEFORE you can make an online payment. Then, you are transferred to a representative who does everything R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y. They go over everything, 3 times or more. They ask you how you are. They ask how the weather is where you are. They repeat everything you say to them. Twice. I get it that they are working with older people some of whom are lonely and paying their AARP bill is the highlight of their day. However, it is infuriating to deal with if you don't want to spend your entire day on the phone.
robertk1099
April 5th, 2020
This is one of the most useless organizations I have ever been a member of. I couldn't find any assistance on any of the products or services I was looking for. And the products and services they were pushing to get you to buy or organizations they try to get you to join I can find on my own without their assistance. So I dropped out after 3 months of membership.
mariee81
March 26th, 2020
I could not remember if I signed up for AARP and got something in the mail that said I had expired. Asked the web what was my membership dates and could not get the information. Reregistered and low and behold instead of the 3 years I had bought I had evidently bought 4 years previously, and my membership would not expire until 2027, UGH
as874
March 31st, 2020
This organization supports everything a conservative American does not! They keep soliciting me SMs other Americans even after requesting that they stop.
samuelm231
January 31st, 2020
As a new AARP member I recently joined to take advantage of their travel discounts. After clicking on a travel link through one of their many emails to look up a specific cruise, the price was the same whether I went through AARP or just used one of many travel sites. EXACTLY the same, to the penny. So where's the discount? I feel I've been ripped off. Here are 2 more examples of no discount that I pasted to prove my point: These appeared on both pages.

Book your cruise with Expedia and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.

Book your cruise with AARP Travel Center and earn up to 17% off on select hotels before you set sail.
dorothyd269
June 11th, 2020
Signed up for the online drivers course as a member since my membership was good through 2023. However I was not able to register until I signed up for another year's membership! Just didn't make any sense!
susank156
March 17th, 2020
I called to change my email address and the customer service person made a mistake and wiped out my account so that I was asked to pay dues that were just paid and asked to join AARP rewards which I had already joined and had about 3700 points on that day. I then spent over three hours trying to get these points restored including speaking with two supervisors one of which promised to get back with me and never did and the other said there was nothing she could do to correct the mistake. Given that AARP had just taken away 13,700 points in the Rewards for Good a few months ago (these are points you have to earn with surveys and exams), I think that I would advise everyone to be very wary of this organization. They do not have the ability to correct their employees errors and care very little about their members. They also seem to have very limited understanding of problem solving instead preferring to ask the same questions over and over. They have little concern about the fact that an employee mistake costs their member 3700 points and three hours of wasted time. This is insanity.
rogerm666
March 20th, 2020
I was told by a friend that aarp had good low cost auto insurance through Hartford, but I had to be a member of aarp. I joined and got the insurance but after a couple years it doubled in price and my mail box was always full of ads from aarp trying to sell me more things. finally i started checking prices and found the same coverage from state farm for less than half the price.
i cancelled my policy jan 15 2020 and they still took my auto payment out on the 18th after telling me they wouldn't be taking it out. here it is march 20 and they're still telling me that they are returning my money (i'm still waiting). their prices are only bait to get you to sign up with them then they just hope you don't notice the constant rate increases.
aarp must be getting a good share of the profits to keep sending out all those ads for their partner companies.
now that i am no longer using that auto insurance i am dropping aarp.

AARP is just not worth it to me. All the services and insurances they offer, are not a good deal. So they aren't doing me or my husband any favors.

By Debbie L.

Yes. The membership is together one account, The spouse and the primary get the same year/years.

By S Y.

I wouldn't signup with AARP for love nor money...and money is what it will cost you and you will get nothing, zippo, zero from them but a "run around" and junk mail. They are worthless.

By Judith K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP is the nation's largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.

tisas3
Tisa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Have a question about AARP?