Review of AARP

member@aarp.org
2018 Customer choice award

johnc1680
7/19/18

Canadians are blocked from website access! No way to check profile or membership information. Why? I do business with many US-based organizations - Avis, hotel chains, etc. Only way to get information is to persist through the labyrinth of phone options.

denisec238
7/16/18

I was told when I signed up for Aarp my car insurance would be 188.00 then they went and took 274.00 then I called them they said I have another driver I live by myself no one drives my car but me I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee really I have plpd the lady lied to me on the phone saying 188.00 a month so upset

philipc142
6/19/18

I called today for an auto insurance quote. The insurance agent, Jake Bryant, was polite, but was not knowledgeable and during our 18 minute phone conversation excused himself for inordinately long periods to consult with a supervisor regarding elementary questions. My concern is that Bryant may be representative of THE HARTFORD auto insurance business model. That said AARP,independent of THE HARFORD is a great Represetative of its members.

dickh38
4/9/18

I had order the AARP membership (as advertise on TV) for the one year and add a friend for $16.00, "AND" get the AARP monthly """"AND""" a free travel bag, got the cards and the AARP monthly but didn't get the travel bag. After waiting over 3 months I call customer service to ask about it, where I got ahold of the """RUDEST""" customer service man I have ever talked to in my 70 years of life, He "VERY BLUNTLY" told me you don't get the bag without a special request for it, then hung up on me ( that is ""NOT" what there ad says) ((I still never got it and they are "NOT" going to get anymore business from me, besides I will be letting "ALL" my friends know how there customer service is

donnab237
12/11/17

I was very happy to be a member until their political views opposed what I believe. I am no longer a member due to this. Who decides their views? I am a member of other groups old enough for AARP and this is the view of most members. AARP is losing many who liked being a part of this group by it's political views.

joannem76
10/12/17

WARNING!!! DO NOT ASK AARP FOR INFORMATION ON HEALTH INSURANCE! I filled out the contact me form at their website and have been inundated with sales calls every single day to the tune of 12-20 calls each day,. Even though I have asked each caller to take me off their list, the calls keep coming fro different numbers all over the country. I finally called AARP and was told it would take 2 weeks to have my number removed from third party vendors. I am so disgusted with AARP for allowing this happen !!! Why would I want to renew my membership??? I thought you were here to help seniors.

garyb194
Gary B.
9/21/17

This organization is a mess, I would not trust them. I tried signing up online and received an error message when processing payment, called their customer service line and got a nice young lady who told me you can only sign up by phone, really? After much confusion on her part and taking my credit card info she said she could not process it since their payment system was not working, again, really? She said the only way was to send a check, wow. I of course refused and after a long hold she said another agent could take my credit card info. At that point I knew this was not an organization I want to be associated with at all. Stay clear, they are not at all organized and not worth the hassle.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother, this organization is run poorly.

jh468
8/8/17

What can I say nice about AARP? Hmmm, nothing at all.
The only people making money is the AARP lobbyists in DC who are suppose to be helping senior citizens.
This organization is the worst when it comes to postal mailings. 2-3 times a week they try to tempt you with a "free" gift to join. Try to get off their mailing list is something to behold. This organization needs to stop spamming people and tend to business in DC to help ensure seniors are not taken advantage of, but then they would be doing quite the opposite. THEY ARE THE ONES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF SENIORS.
Insurance coverages from health to auto etc is much cheaper on your own than going through AARP who in fact get a percentage finders fee when you buy from them. Travel deals are no different.
Save your money, don't join this useless organization. Membership is down, wonder why?

sandyg24
7/29/17

was a member for 2 years then every 3 or 4 months i got another bill paid again then again another bill no more i am happy to say not a member and will never be one again. rape off. mrs gomez

magdab
1/10/17

I signed up to see if I could save on something . As I looked to all the offers, every single one is offered free to you free as you turn to a senior citizen directly throught the bussiness.
The life insurance and the car insurance are way higher than the regular insuran throught many companies. One phone company offered a saving of a nickel, yes you heard right. So, why pay for what my supermarket or favorite restaurant can give me directly for free. Only dummies do that.

davidb508
6/7/16

Been a policy holder since 2009 with no claims. Never got a cancellation letter by email or US Mail. Called on 6-7-16 to make payment and was told my policy had been cancelled two months ago and could not renew it. Stay away from The Hartford auto insurance and if you have AARP Hartford you might not be covered and not know it.

terrie44
Terri E.
4/28/16

Those of you out there that are younger than 40: you might as well skip this because you just won't get it, unless you have a parent that's struggling to get work.

I hate to pick on just AARP. I'd like to list every single senior website I've dealt with, but it won't let me list them above so ... I'm just listing AARP. Some other ones are seniorjobbank.org, Workforce 50, retirementjobs.com, etc.

Every single time I go to one of these Senior employment websites, its always the same thing: listings of jobs I cant do or do not have the experience for.

I have found that most listings are for Managers, Accountants, Executives, Tax People, Drivers, CSRs, and the worst of all Nannies and Babysitters! Is that all they think we can do?

My work experience involves Office Support which includes Administrative Assistant, Data Entry Clerk, etc. Let's be honest. Most companies just don't want some old lady (or man) working at the front desk or sometimes, even at a back desk. I know this from pure job hunting experience. For some reason, these 20-Somethings and 30-Somethings just can't stand the thought of working with someone the age of their mother or grandmother. Every senior doesn't act like an old fart.

I just don't get it. How were these idiots raised anyway? Don't they realize that 30 years is going to go by just like that? Only then will they know what it's like to be 60 years old without employment and one step from living on the street. I don't care WHO I work with, as long as they're nice and accept everyone for who they are.

None of these Senior job websites have ever helped me.

barryb29
11/16/15

Aarp has been promoting the cheaper insurance price they have on autos on TV for years. The Hartford insurance provider pulls you in with an initial lower quote, but the next year's quote is 25 percent higher even with a perfect driving record. They assume that once they have you as a customer you'll stick with them. Don't be fooled by this come on.

henlyj
9/23/14

Lots of junk mail from AARP trying to sell me life insurance, car insurance and just about anything else that makes them money.

Tip for consumers: AARP makes a lot of money!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP#AARP_Services.2C_Inc._and_AARP_Financial_Incorporated

michaelb148
5/2/14

aarp.org is the official site of the AARP non-profit organization. Don't confuse it with aarp.com which is essentially there to sell insurance. Although oriented to seniors, there is tons of information and advice applicable to anyone. There is so much stuff on this website it is like drinking out of a fire hydrant. If you followed every link, you would be at it for days. Go to it for games, travel info, restaurant recommendations, job search info, health care, mobil app suggestions, tax info, it goes on and on. You don't have to be an AARP member to use the web site.

als40
12/10/13

My wife and I have started shopping on-line, the PROBLEM IS that every source has our home address and are sending their own advertising plus the advertising from the companies to which they have sold our address. How do I stop this every day mail box full of unwanted advertising????

carltonp5
10/16/13
gregy
5/6/13

All the AARP does it try to sell me their crummy life insurance. I don't think they should be selling me life insurance. Aren't they supposed to be a non-profit?

jayh1
6/28/10

AARP is very resourceful. The forums are great to exchange ideas on products, inusrance and everything for and used by Seniors. They are always offering new things for the senior population.

45 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP?