Review of AARP

2018 Customer choice award

41 reviews with 1 star

sallyw121
9/16/19

We ordered a new IPhone 7 from Consumer Cellular and of course it took 5 days to arrive. We had to pay $67 up front to order the phone, we are going to make monthly payments. Well to our surprise we open the package on Saturday and there is no phone in the box!!!! My husband called their customer service immediately to report it and of course they did not know what could be done. So first thing Monday morning he called again. Well another surprise there is no documentation of his call on Saturday! This women says she took the information and has to refer it to another department. She said it will take 2-3 days to decide what to do! What do you mean "what to do"? We did not receive the phone what's to decide? My husband is 75 and I am 66 why would we lie about this!!!! We are both so upset. If this doesn't get resolved in 2-3 days we will be contacting the Better Business Bureau and contacting an attorney for a consultation on how to proceed. We have been with AT&T for 20 plus years. My husband switched to CC to save some money. What a mistake. I am still with AT&T because I use too much data. I had to replace my phone about a month ago because my screen cracked. I had a new phone sent by way of Fedex and I had the new phone the next afternoon. Now that is great service. Plus they gave us 10 days to return the old phone and gave us all the necessary materials and instructions on how to return the old phone at no charge to us. They even included the tape for the box! Now that is great customer service. We are now late Wednesday afternoon and it gets worse! We cannot get a response from Consumer Cellular and my husband calls everyday. The customer service reps he speaks to basically saying he is lying in so many words. This is unbelievable and not sure where we need to go from here. I sent them an email yesterday and they have as yet to respond. I am going to report them to the Better Business Bureau. This is very disturbing that an AARP recommended company is aloud to treat seniors this way. We have very little to live on as we are both on Social Security. We actually find it very disturbing. Oh my gosh you are not going to believe this! Today is Monday 9/16/2019 After I posted my second review late Wednesday afternoon we get another email from Consumer Cellular stating they shipped another package out and we should receive it within 3-5 days. Ok now we are excited. Then on Friday the 13th we received an email from Consumer Cellular with the tracking number that was shown on the Wednesday email stating the post office returned the package because it was not picked up within 15 days!!! The package was just sent out 2 days prior how can it be 15 days? So I went into the USPS website under the new tracking number and it shows the package was returned because the Addressee shown on the package did not match the address shown on the package! I don't know about you readers but Consumer Cellular deserves a minus 10!!!! I am so disgusted and WILL NOT refer anyone to them. This is out of control and absolutely unacceptable. If we ever do get this phone it should be free! My husband decided to go to the post office with all our documentation. Unbelievable, the package was there! It had not been returned after all. However, whoever at Consumer Cellular did put my Husbands name on the mailing label but they showed the mailing address as the post offices address!!!! Who the heck does this. Everyone needs to be fired or at least written up that handled these transactions right down to the Customer Service Reps that took the phone calls. I will definitely be staying with AT&T my husband can have Consumer Cellular. What a joke. I plan to post this everywhere I can!

sandyk101
8/30/19

About three weeks ago, I decided to join AARP. After I joined (or so I thought) I received an automated message that read: Welcome back Sandra, member since 1981. My name is not Sandra it is Sandy, and in 1981 I was 26 years old. I realized the automated sign-up confused me with my deceased mother-in-law - whose mail has been forward my home address. I contacted AARP and explained the situation, since it also had my father-in-law's name on her membership, and since I have a keen sense for the obvious (something no one at AARP has), I explained this to the person to whom I spoke. She said she could do nothing about it until my payment was processed. I paid, got a confirmation, but the payment was not processed. I called back and went through the entire story again. If it's not too late to make a long story short, this has snowballed into a frustrating and frankly insulting situation. I have now received sympathy notes from due to the passing of my in-laws (over 6 years ago). Been informed I cannot cancel my in-law's membership, I never requested, nor do I care to cancel their membership. Not one person has been able to comprehend this situation, and I have been harrassed now my countless emails of nonsense about the situation. My concern is also with the fact that AARP is for older people, and I can't be the only person with a name similar to another member. What would happen if I weren't a computer expert (Master Certified computer educator), and didn't know that my membership was not really MY membership.
In summary: I dealt with a bunch of idiots and have been unable to join...at this point, don't care to join. Thank you AARP = FOR NOTHING but harrassing emails.

guillermop18
8/27/19

Horrible member's service! They never able to help ! It sounds like they are just reading an script . When you speak they don't hear you.. if u get mad they will put you in a long hold!
I had this Maria assuring me with an over charged premium dues . She sound so robotic and never listens to what you say and offers no solution! Was I was over and over explaining my reasons I think why I was overcharge she put me on hold without asking for any permission!
I will never recommend it to no one! No one deserves this poor service and luck of good benefits program! All they want is to collect your money without any logical explanation!!

lindah914
8/19/19

Who in your organization has the authority to spend your members' money to run expensive radio ads supporting Lucy McBath? ALL of your members DO NOT support her or her party and did NOT vote for her. I am appalled that your organization would assume that this is OK. It is NOT and I will NEVER be part of AARP again.

erikm89
8/14/19

I renewed my membership May 1st 2019 and I still have not received the $#*!ing card that Crooks it keep saying I will mail it out to you damn son of a $#*! has cost me more and airfare and everything because nobody will give you a discount listen to see the card I hope they go out a business real fast then I'm going to do everything I can to take them bastards Downer crooked $#*!ing ripoff

melodyg28
6/8/19

the consumer cellular has been ripping me off every month and finally I left them. I am 55 years old and I am so disgusted with Consumer cellular and their phony charges. I curse the day I saw this company recommended by AARP. I also cancelled with them as well. It seems they are all set up to take advantage of senior citizens. Thank God for Tmobile and their 55 year or older plan . They charge me and my husband total of $70 flat without any more fees for unlimited everything and include international and roaming.

tomt319
5/30/19

AARP is a total rip-off, no tangible benefit and nothing but trouble for your membership. I joined primarily out of curiosity; the annual fee is cheap enough: but what I got was:

1. A worthless magazine full of rip-off advertisements
2. Put on endless mailing lists for all sorts of things I don't want: medical devices, mortgage loans, insurance, overpriced travel, etc. I receive AARP junk mail literally every day now!
3. Worthless discounts on a variety of products and services; a simple internet search reveals better deals in many other vendors.

Overall a useless program designed to rip-off it's members in every way, they even auto-renew your membership without asking then refuse to reimburse you when cancelled!

eddied64
5/8/19

Received multiple mailings. Finally signed up, paid them. Still receiving mailings, emails but no membership card. Emails say "non member" ? Have called to follow up several times. They indicated it takes 4 weeks to process payments. In today's world that is absolutely not acceptable. They have all our correct information in their system, which they have apparently "sold" to 3rd parties because suddenly we are receiving tons of new junk mail. Look, at the end of the day, many businesses will give you the same 5-10% discount just for asking nicely. Save your money, avoid the nonsense associated with this company. For me, they have my money, and apparently due to their own record keeping and processing, I get nothing in return. Time is too valuable to fight it. Just please, be advised, this company seems to be NOTHING like what they advertise on tv. Stay clear and protect your money, your mailbox and your sanity. Time has value, don't waste yours.

donnam740
5/5/19

This site has been no help nor offered any discounts that I've requested. I've attempted to use restaurants but only Denny's and Outback steakhouse in my area (not Red Lobster). And no discounts for Amtrak just siteseeing train excursions. Point blank Worthless!!!

robbyw7
4/5/19

After being an unpaid AARP Rewards for Good member for close to a year and completing countless quizzes to earn points to use on discounted giftcards, I purchased a 5 year paid AARP membership in Feb 2019. Very shortly thereafter, the AARP website had a error/glitch which allowed one code to be used more than once. After using around 20 shared codes from friends/family, AARP locked my Rewards for Good access and made it impossible to use/redeem the 90,000 points I earned before the website error/glitch. Each time, I called customer service, I was given a different answer/explanation and after a month, I am still locked out of the Rewards for Good section of the AARP website. I expected better from AARP.

waynea73
3/28/19

I am recently retired and after reading some articles concerning AARP and its benefits for retired people, I decided to purchase medical insurance through them. After all, they are supposed to be especially for retirees. Big mistake! In a phone interview I mentioned my medical history of the past few years. They are going to find out anyway! They asked me about potential medical conditions for the near future. I told them there was a possibility, but I had no intention of pursuing it. BIG MISTAKE! Now it's cast in stone like the Ten Commandments of death penalty judgment for being honest! WHAT?? So ... I'm supposed to lie to my health care professional?? So ... I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't! In my phone interview I verified that the conversation was being recorded. Yes, it was. So ... you all have RETIRED PEOPLE as part of your mission. Yet, anyone questionable to you gets thrown out in the trash. Well ... you are telling me, for the record, that I'm better off dead than alive! THANK YOU AARP, FOR HELPING RETIRED PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF!

philc120
3/26/19

https://learn.aarp.org/smart-drivertek/ is a free on line class to learn about all the new car safety features. The problem is when you log in to register you get a #400 error. I was on the phone for 2 hours with AARP and transferred to six different departments with no help. Some did not know anything about the class. Their so called computer program expert told me that it must be a Google problem and because he does not work for Google he could not help. Finally I talked to a supervisor that tried to also register and got the same #400 error and did not know why. So much for a free on line class that does not work.

deeg66
3/13/19

a few months ago I received what look like a bill from AARP telling me that if I wanted to be a member in good standing to pay the bill I immediately took a picture of this and sent it to the District Attorney's Office in Pennsylvania. It was an advertisement and not a bill and the reason I sent it to the district attorney's office was because I'm sure there are senior citizens out there who would not even think twice and just pay the bill because that's the kind of people they are but it was a shyster Shady move on the part of AARP turns out AARP sends what looks like a list of computer addresses and tells the district attorney that I had requested this information but you know what the funny thing is I don't even have a computer

janm274
2/27/19

Bought a "smart" phone from Jitterbug after seeing your ads. Horrible situation: phone never worked, kept dieing on me mid conversation. Went to return and problems became bigger. They told me to send it to them and they would credit me after examining phone. They refused any service after they got the phone. I questioned their "time" charges and they sent me the most "insane pages of "charges" that each ended in ZERO. They said I agreed to this plan but consent was given over the phone and this was no plan I accepted. No contract papers were ever sent to me. After numerous phone calls they agreed to refund me $100 if I sent the receipt and papers I had - I sent and never heard from them again. It has been nearly 3 months (I have been sick) and I guess I write it off as they appear to have written me off. Please beware of this company and their shady practices.in your ads.

lynnw164
2/27/19

Why apply for 3 years (received card) (check was cashed) and not receive free gift but instead received 2nd application. Is this just some revenue enhancement technique or does AARP believe when you get older you forget what you pay for. Very bad business!!!!!!

debbiem331
2/11/19

Misled by rep about my refund cancellation. Refund if cancelled in 24 hours.... flight yes - hotel part of package no, however was told probably would be charged a % and couldn't say how timely a return. Never traveled out of the country so my first booking. Allowed myself to be pressured to make the reservation "only 7 slots left - don't want to lose this deal." I am presently out over $1,800!
This is supposed to be an organization that assists individuals over 50 not cheat them. Dropping my membership.

johnl1204
2/10/19

Digging thru all of the marketing is frustrating, but learning that almost all of AARP's political lobbying and support goes to Democrats. Not like that should matter, but they are spending membership money to support their own political interests. Will not be renewing the membership.

bc138
2/6/19

I was sent a advertisement for the Hartford to get an AARP quote 4 Auto Insurance. The Hartford insurance rap over the phone stated they couldn't give me a quote until I was an AARP Member for 90 days. The advertisement sent to me said I could get a free calculator with a quote. Nowhere in their advertisement did it State I needed to wait 90 days just simply get a quote from the Hartford. This is a bait and switch tactic, and false advertisement. The representative with the Hartford said, it doesn't say anything on the advertisement, because it would be... Information overload. The Hartford is obviously a joke, and I tried to contact AARP, but there's no way to do so.

nonyab19
2/4/19

Like almost every other review, all I got from this membership was a fee and an abundance of unwanted mail and phone solicitation. I could fill up a large garbage bag every week from the nonsense offers I get on an almost daily basis. I didn't renew after one year and I get at least two renewal notices a week from them, on top of the businesses they sold my info to. I have at least 60 numbers blocked on my phone because of these pigs.

michaell971
1/15/19

Car insurance and health insurance cheaper if you dont go through aarp. It is clear by pricing that aarp gets a commission or kickback from these insurance companies. Discounts on vacations movies cars etc. can be found on other free sites that are better deals than aarp. If discounts on insurance and consumer products are better elsewhere then why belong to aarp. On top of commissions and kickbacks they have nerve to ask for donations. Plus I dont agree with half their lobbying efforts in congress. Their organization used to be of benefit to senior citizens. Now they are fraudulent organization protected by congressmen they give "donations" to.

rebeccas404
1/2/19

I signed up for AARP when I turned 50,16 years ago, and almost immediately started receiving tellemarketing calls. At the time, we only had a home phone and, unaware why this was happening, I signed up for the 'do not call' with the Dept. of Agriculture. Every day it was something new, windows, plumbing, someone wanting to buy our home. In the meantime, I got a cell phone and the calls started on that, too. It took me 3 years to realize where all of these calls were orignating from. I called AARP and they actually admitted to selling member names for profit. I was furious! It took several years after getting rid of AARP to stop receiving unwanted calls but the damage was done. NEVER again! I won't take United Healthcare supplemental Medicare insurance because its written by AARP. They definitely create alot of problems for members as well as the outrageous cost of Hartford insurance. Get a quote and when they write the policy, it will be $1,000 over quote. If you don't take it, they report you to the state and you'll get a letter that your license is suspended for no insurance, even if you've purchased a policy elsewhere. AARP and their co-conspirators will definitely cause you heartache

suer305
12/10/18

I joined AARP in September 2018.so I could start getting the magazines.Almost 3 months later I haven't received a magazine.They always have a excuse.I'm sick of it.I told them to cancel my membership and to refund my money.

haroldh102
12/5/18

I just cancelled my membership of many years.
I had Humana, I came down with a pulled muscle during exercise I went to rehabilitation and paid one time fee of 10.00 dollars.
I changed to the AARP United Health Care, I came down with sciatica, needed rehabilitation but with United it would have cost me $40.00 per visit, so I could not afford to received the treatment, therefore I am leaving UNITED.
For many years I had AARP affiliate home and auto insurance, a friend who also left ARRP recommended I check else where, I did and found the same exact coverage on both policies for $996.00 dollars less than what I was paying with AARP sponsored insurance.
You would think that AARP would use the volume as leverage to negotiate lower prices and better service but as my experience reveals that is not the case

evem42
10/13/18

BEWARE OF AARP
When you cancel they still go after you for money they are not very Honest so PLEASE ask every thing you need to know what happens when you cancel before renewal time cause you can get ripped off and not get your money back Buyer beware

be37
10/1/18

Bought an AARP plan covering my wife and I and a couple roadside assistance plan. Tried to use it and received multiple charges to my credit card whicg no one could explain over 4 calls to Indian Call Center where no one spoke enough English to understand. Had to cancel a cresit card and wait for a new one because of the fraud. I highly recommend YOU DO NOT get this service. You will be disappointed and likely robbed.

Questions? Get answers from the AARP staff and other customers.

AARP?