Review of VUDU

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

caitlinl13
3/24/17

I normally only use VUDU for redemptions but sometimes there are some great deals on movies I love.

Then they came out with Disc to Digital for PC and offered that if you converted more than 10 of your current movies, you'd get a discount of half off. So I started scanning my movies Thursday night, and when I woke up in the morning I finished another two movies. The discount specifically said it would apply at checkout and not to worry about the full price amount. So I went to check out where it displayed which movies I had selected, and then I went to order and SURPRISE! No discount was applied.

I immediately called them as soon as they opened, and after waiting on hold for 25 minutes (which is astounding because they had just opened), I reached a customer service agent who literally could do nothing for me. And I mean exactly what I just said, this was her actual response to me when I explained the issue. She said that the way their system was set up, there was no way for them to give a discount on a purchase or refund a purchase, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON, because there was no way for them to know that it wasn't already downloaded to the PC. She apologized and said that the half off sale ended midnight (just 7 hours before I made the call), and even though VUDU did not notify me that stuff in my cart was no longer half off, they were not responsible for the error with the discount. I thought this was a joke. I asked if she could just remove my entire disc to digital order and suspend access to those movies because I didn't want them for the full price. Her reply, again, was that there was NO WAY for movies to be refunded or discounted once they were purchased.

I asked if I could dispute the charge with my bank because she was sure she could not do anything for me at all. Her response was this, and this is what should scare any customer away:

If you file a dispute with your bank, and it becomes a chargeback, your VUDU account will be suspended.

I laughed at first and asked if she was serious because I had tons of movies in my collection that were already redeemed or paid for, and she said that she was serious and that my account would be suspended. I asked about what would happen to all the movies I've paid for or redeemed, and she replied "I don't think you'll lose access to them, or you shouldn't anyways". In other words, if I dispute the charge with my bank, I could stand to lose all of my movies.

Don't EVER purchase anything from VUDU unless you're absolutely sure that regardless of what issue arises, you're okay with losing the money you've invested in the movies you have with them.

fedu14
2/26/17

Nothing I purchase or rent plays right. It all buffers like $#*! and I have to restart everything for it to work right and it still doesn't. So frustrating

rossl30
2/26/17

To whom it may concern,

I do not understand where all these negative comments come from. I have used Vudu service without any hitches. My family has watched 3 HD movies from different rooms on apple ipads, LG Tv's and android devices at the same time almost everyday without any issues. Steaming quality top notch from resolution to sound. With over 1600 movies and even more TV shows, I have never been charged twice for a movie. They have refunded me without issue when I bought a directors cut when I already has an unrated version. They have even refunded me for movies I bought that I said we did not like after watching. However, they said they will not refund again as it is not policy to refund for unlike movies. I hope this review helps.

Ross

shellyf19
2/20/17

No help from those son of $#*!es! cant watch 600gb I paid for!
Do not give them a cent! They turned me to torrent and hacking.
My life goal? DESTROY VUDU

tylera26
2/15/17

I have been using VUDU for a while now, I get blu-ray movies and redeem the digital codes, I purchase movies directly from them as well when there is a deal, and I like my UV accounts with them. The service is generally good.

However, their customer service is atrocious. I accidentally made a purchase because I wasn't properly prompted on their website whether or not I wanted to confirm my order. I notified VUDU immediately afterwards, I never touched the movies that were part of the bundle. It was an accident. I called them, it took about 15-20 minutes on hold then I got someone who seemed less than sure of themselves, but confident that I would get a refund. This was February 8th. I never heard back, never got a confirmation number for the call/dispute, etc. I called back on February 14th, again with a long wait, finally got through to someone, they said they would have to look into it, put me on hold for another 10 minutes.

Finally the rep came back on, they did apologize for the very long hold time, and they said that I would hear back sometime in the next 3-4 days, this was on top of the week I have already waited.

I then got a reply email from them today saying I was SOL.

Bottom line, I will continue to use VUDU for my blu-ray digital redemptions, but I will absolutely not be a customer of theirs in any other capacity. The buck stops here.

joem236
2/12/17

Customer service sucks. Tried 2 email addresses, never got a reply from vudu on either.
Called customerservice. Waited on hold 20 minutes.
Don't waste your time

2/4/17

It's a scam! I had the same issue and so have many others according to reviews. The movies don't play they buffer constantly and downloading to vudu to go is nothing but a waste of time and a complete joke. Go with another company.

jamesd291
1/21/17

I have been a customer for a very long time, spent loads of money with them because I realized kids and dvd's do not last very long. I have never had a problem with their service. I have had to contact their customer service once because I accidentally bought something I didn't want and the promptly refunded the money because I did not watch it. Sounds to me some people pay and try to abuse it trying to get free movies and crap and giving a bad post. They allow you to choose 5 friends and share your video collections with them, it's like loaning your DVD out but actually getting it back in great condition and you can still watch it, also the added feature you can rent instead of buy!! I love vudu and will never change.

douglasc37
1/20/17

they have the worst customer servce i have ever seen they will double bill u but when u complain no response who ever is running their customer service should be fired they have know idea what their doing

melissam173
Jane D.
1/18/17

I saw an ad that said watch movies for free! Its only the app thats free! They want your credit card info! For what if its free?

davidg94
1/16/17

Works extremely well most of the time. There are times that using 100+MB Internet that VUDU pauses and freezes. It is rare but most often occurs on purchased seasons 8 & 9 of Big Bang Theory, cannot get past episode 4 or 5 on season 9. I have the DVD, so have not made resolving this a priority.

ericm162
1/14/17

We use Vudu for streaming rentals. There are times it does not work or has bandwidth issues and drops to 480 or lower resolution to keep from buffering, just like nextflix and everyone else. These issues usually happen on weekends and other high use times and are dependent on your IPS. If you are planning a night of anything more than casual watching, you'd be better off on purchasing (or renting) a DVD. Imagine having your 8 year old over with several friends with the promise of watching a movie just to find out the service is down or slow. Or that 3rd date with someone special and your Vudu keeps buffering! If purchasing from Vudu and keeping in your Vudu account, keep in mind they will have server crashes, server changes, upgrades, etc. Your account could be lost, deleted or damaged. They will be happy to reestablish your account but if you don't have receipts showing the movies you purchased, your out every purchase you made. To make things worse, they do not e-mail receipts of purchases, they keep that in your account ... the same one that may have been lost or damaged! Bottom line, Vudu is great for casual rentals on any night that if things stop working you won't be upset saying, "Oh well, time to go to bed", but for anything more, you really should think about something more reliable. Keep in mind, these comments apply to any on line streaming service, not just Vudu.

teoe5
1/8/17

Does not work I tried to rent x2 but it kept buffering and eventually I had to turn it off because it drove my family off the wall. It said my network was not up to speed but honestly I checked my wifi and it was up to speed

markz27
1/5/17

Last weekend I purchased a theatrical version of a movie on accident and wanted the extended version. I tried calling them but after 20 minutes of waiting I hung up. Then I emailed, few days later no response. So I messaged on facebook and they said contact the "phone" support. I said I did and there's no answer I've tried multiple times. No reply from that. Now I've tried a fifth tI'm to call still no answer after 18 minutes and I've emailed again. They are the worst no help at all I believe they won't help so don't even bother.

donw55
12/28/16

Rented 1 movie. It buffered every 10 - 15 seconds. Checked same connection thru Netflix, everything ok. Ended up paying another $6 to watch it on direct TV. Don't waste your time or money

nathanm71
12/21/16

Rented a movie and at first the sound wasn't linked to the movie...restarted it and kept saying no connection...but Netflix and amazon both work

scotta56
12/11/16

Tried watching a movie on December 4th, after 30-40 minutes the movie became unwatchable, video lag/stuttering, audio not syncing up. Figured it was a internet speed issue, checked mine and I was running at 50Mbs download, checked other webpages, such as YouTube and I was running fine. Requested a refund from Vudu, after a week they responded to tell me they couldn't give me a refund because I watched the movie... How is someone to know VUDU can't stream with out watching something?? Here is there official response.

Hello and thank you for contacting Vudu Customer Care,

I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, because the movie has been watched, we are unable to refund due to licensing that has already been paid to the studio. We appreciate your understanding in this matter, and encourage you to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Best wishes,

Andre Paul
VUDU Customer Care
1-888-554-VUDU (8838)
Hours of phone support:
7am - 8pm PST. 7 days a week!
support@vudu.com
support@vudu.com

Tip for consumers: Go rent it from amazon or redbox instead!

codyc21
11/19/16

The site allows users to "download" digital copies so you can watch them offline..... Well what they don't tell you is that all of the media is restricted and cannot be accessed without their app. Regardless of whether you are using the online app or the offline app, it rarely works. I purchased HD copies and could only watch them in standard definition. Even with the standard definition it continuously had problems. Worst purchase ever.....

davids615
11/1/16

After downloaing lots of movies and TV episodes for my 5 years old to watch while traveling...
All of the sudden, none of the downloaded items ard recognized by the PC nor by our Apple products....Vudu's answer is to REdownload ALL my items agzin and PAY again my internet provider for the 100'S of GB of downloads....
It's a money making scam...

tammyw36
10/25/16

We rented Tarzan and watched it then it disappeared didn't give us our 24hr the other 2 movies disappear as well so I called and all they would say was sorry but it shows you got them so we paid for 3 movie's and seen one , WILL NEVER RENT ANOTHER OR RECOMMEND IT EITHER

altonh16
10/20/16

I bought 3 Roku devices with $5 redemption codes in each. I redeemed 2 and received a maximum redemption code error upon trying to enter the 3rd. I feel cheated!

jeffreya30
10/11/16

I bought the movie ouija within this year on Vudu. My son watched again recently and Vudu charged me again for the movie. This caused an overdraft on my bank account. I called Vudu on this matter and they said they would refund my money but I would loose the movie that I already purchased in the first place. I'm afraid to watch the other movies that I already purchased.

cathyjoc
9/28/16

AVOID VUDU. I signed up with a paypal coupon promotion in time for the kids 12 birthday sleep over. Was suppose to have five free movies, spoke to Rachelle on Saturday, no help, spoke to Richard on Sunday, customer service isn't. Started writing the promotions department on a Monday, they asked for screen shots of the offer, did that, four times - they said they couldn't read them. Have emailed them over three weeks, called them since day one - all started the 2nd of September, it's the 28th with NO resolution. What a crappy company.

josiahp10
9/18/16

Won't refund an accidental purchase and I refuse to watch it. Terrible terrible movie. 20$ wasted for nothing. Should have never stopped using amazon.

brendal55
9/10/16

I've been a Vudu customers for several years, and have amassed a huge video library. Two weeks ago, I bought four movies, and went to Vudu.com to redeem the digital copies. I quickly noticed that 21 of my titles are missing ...just GONE. I immediately e-mailed Vudu Customer Support, requesting an investigation into the loss of my 21 titles. I received no response after a week of waiting, so I sent 2 additional e-mails to customer support. Today, I finally received a reply, saying that "I" deleted the movies on August 29. The Vudu e-mail directed me to phone their toll-free number, if I didn't delete the movies.

After being on hold with Vudu Customer Support for 20 minutes, I was then informed they couldn't help me! They referred me to the Ultraviolet website for help with the problem. so, it seems, I'm out 21 movies! BEWARE VUDU.com.

80 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

27 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VUDU staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
marilynt23
Marilyn T.
on 1/27/17
Answer
Lisa J.
A: I would just stay away from vudu altogether. They are the worst company I have ever interacted with. I spent a lot of money on videos with them and I cannot watch any of them because the just buffer literally every 5 seconds and then I downloaded them through vudu to go and they won't play on there either. I keep getting a message that vudu cannot authenticate my account. I e-mailed customer services 3 times and have never received a response. I have wasted about $1000.00 on movies that I cannot watch. I have started using amazon prime video and other sites as well and have no problems whatsoever. Just stay away from vudu they are just taking your money.
on 2/4/17
Helpful answer
Add your answer
joes617
Joe S.
on 11/13/16
Answer
Lisa J.
A: I have had nothing but problems with vudu. My opinion is just stay away and use another company. They are the worst. You will waste your money.
on 2/4/17