Review of VUDU

Tel: (312)729-4068
press@vudu.com

neile34
4/25/19

I upconverted 10 blu rays to be digital copies as part of promotion from VUDU. they charge $2 to convert a blu ray and $5 to convert a DVD. I converted my Matrix blu ray and I was charged $5. I contacted their customer support to ask for a $3 credit. They just kept asking me questions and never resolved my issue. First they wanted a picture of the blu ray case. Then, they wanted a picture of the blu ray disc itself. Which I think is crazy because they never ask for a disc for the other 9 I converted. It's like they thought I was lying. Plus, their customer support feature on their website and mobile is not responsive to a phone. I could not upload a picture from my phone, I had to login to my desktop. And from their website I was having problems pulling up support from my desktop. I was tired of jumping through hoops for $3. I won't be using their up convert feature again. Just a waste of time. I will stop buying my movies from them as well.

richardo155
3/30/19

The service is perfectly fine (although no significant advantage over Amazon) until something went wrong with a billing issue. Then the wheels fell off. Our bank saw a repritive change (that was legitimate) and bounced the charge. Now, if this happened at Amazon, the access to that particular purchase would be removed - they would say there was a problem with the collection of payment. But Vudu suspends the entire account without notification or even a good process. They then make it your problem to get access back.
That brings you to support - which as many point out is woefully unresponsive. If you are going to shut down someones access to something they have BOUGHT you need to be very very good at getting them back up again. They don't really seem to care - it's your problem. Hint, it's their problem.

howardc78
3/16/19

Everything is good if everything goes right once something goes wrong or you need help don't expect to even receive an answer to your email for at least a week and a half. They are abysmal. I've been using Vudu since it was a set-top box that you had to pay for just to stream movies. I am done with Vudu. Fortunately the hundreds of movies that I bought from them are all digital and can be transferred to another service. I even send an email complaining and they sent me a generic response back not even acknowledging that I was upset with their customer service. Not even any humility as a company, I'm done.

christiang97
2/24/19

Vudu are lying thieves that won't do anything to help you.I have over 300 movies.Two of my movies disappeared.They won't honor and replace my missing movies. Don't risk losing your money with them. I was a loyal fan of them and profitable customer.Not any more. I searched reviews on line and found out im one of many. Some of you reading this will say they are the best, I've had no issues. Well guess what, that used to be me. Once it happens to you you're gonna think back to this post. You've been warned......UPDATE I started posting on fb, IG ect and vudu started blocking my comments so ppl won't know the truth. Use another service or you'll be out money

ninal58
2/17/19

Was looking for specific movies on amazon that could only be watched by either subscribeing to hbo or other paid networks to watch movies like showtime or etc to watch the movies I wanted so tried VUDU cause I just wanted to rent specific movies without having to subscribe to hbo or other networks to watch and I am very happy that I did I could rent or buy all the movies I wanted and think they look great better then amazon and as far as the reviews I've read from others that say the movies stop playing or stopping or cutting out I've never had one issue with that so it must be there wi-fi network but yet they blame VUDU that's pretty pathetic cause I think they offer great service and I haven't needed to contact them for anything cause like I said I've had no problems for over a year with streaming movies or whatever off there network will be a customer for a long time and will be renting or buying not very often off amazon

jamest581
2/15/19

App does not work and I have opened a tech support ticket 12/12/18. They have not contacted me once except to ask for information that was given to them already and that was a few days after I opened a ticket. Since then they only respond when I contact them and they say we are working on it. It has been 2.5 months later and their recent reply was they are working on it but there is no guarantee they will bother to fix it. "We have passed over the information you provide to our engineering team so they can investigate this situation further. Please note, we do not have an ETA of fix for this issue, nor do we have a guarantee a fix will be provided for your specific setup."

I have over 600 digital movies through them and Comcast has a data cap so I keep getting billed if I want to stream the movies instead of download them. I have 12 T of external drives filled with movies from them I downloaded but cannot access due to their software not working.

The forums are filled with others having the same problem and for some of them the work around worked but others like myself the work around did not work. I do not want to have to reload the whole computer just because they screwed something up in a patch and now it prevents any future use of their product. None of their other methods of viewing movies allows you to access downloaded movies from their site. Just the one program is all the have that will allow you to download and view the movies offline.

gregorym145
2/12/19

If they don't recognize your email, and they typically won't, they will DEMAND a PayPal receipt number (which means you have to terminate the call to look one up and wait another 20 minutes to find a COMPENTENTENT person, sometimes called a "Supervisor"). OR, they will ask for your credit card # so they can bill you again. Then, when calling back, they have no idea what you're talking about and you have to re-produce the same scenario you spent the past half hour talking to them about.
Seems they intentionally make it difficult to contact them. By the way, the last time I asked to speak to a supervisor, that person became abusive and belligerent. These people MUST be part of some sort of crime syndicate, or, if they're acting on their own, they are doing so without ANY regard for their customers. I'd be willing to join a class-action suit against these monsters.

megank87
2/7/19

Had a prob Dec 26 and kept getting escalated. It is now 2/7 and I haven't heard from anyone in two weeks. Terrible customer service.

brucem236
2/5/19

One thing you can always count on with Vudu - they are always happy to sell you or rent you the same movies Netflix is showing for free.....

melanieb175
2/2/19

All movies play a few seconds,, then stop for 3 to 5 minutes then play for a few more seconds them stop,, then play then stop and so on! I made a mistake and rented one. It took 7 and an half hours to watch a 93 minute movie that I paid money for to watch!!! All VUDU contact support numbers didn't work. Do not ever rent or buy a movie to watch. All movies play and stop play and stop, free or rented. All movies!! Sorry website!! Not wroth a crap!

keithr146
1/26/19

This app is terrible. Plays 10 mins of whatever you're trying to watch then just randomly cuts off. Painful and makes watching anything hard to enjoy. This app makes me want to smash my tv. Good job Wal Mart

donaldc209
1/23/19

I'm happy with vudu they have a good selection. One night might wife and I didn't finish a movie. Started watching the next night (same time) but of course the 24 hour rental was over. I paid for it again (of course -- not going to miss the ending) but was pissed. Asked vudu for a refund and to change their rental period to 28 hours for obvious reasons. I got the refund (wow!). I doubt they'll change the policy, but still get 5 stars...

samanthan49
1/8/19

I spoke with Clayton in customer service after my one year old bought a movie for $19.99. They answered quickly, understood my concern and reversed the charges without having to jump through hoops. I was very impressed by the experience. They also advised me about how to add a parental control (and set it correctly to "ALL RATINGS"). Thanks for the great customer service. I like app on our Roku, also!

thomasp295
12/29/18

Movies only play halfway through then thy snag and won't finish the movie, meanwhile they send you ads to buy more expensive movies.

leonardc56
12/17/18

Showed a movie for rent on the LG Content Store that was for purchase only. Signed up for Vudu to find out this was wrong.

toms747
12/15/18

I had an issue redeeming a movie with VUDU. It took two months of none stop email tag with VUDU customer service until I had my movie. A customer service representative emailed me saying, "the issue wasn't his problem".

trebori
12/15/18

So on my LG 4k TV this used to work. Now out of nowhere it never connects online, everything works fine but this garbage app. No response from my support request from vudu. I am about to call a lawyer. This is the worst scam I ever used. Must have spent a few hundred in the last couple months on movies and I can't even watch them. This app is the worst. DO NOT USE, YOU WILL REGRET WASTING YOUR MONEY. Even when it was working it would constantly log me off and I have to sign on again and again and again. No Joke you will regret this app 100%. You have been warned.

morganr50
11/21/18

This company has issues with it's app on Samsung TVs. Common errors in playback, distirted video and sound, sometimes parts of the movie are unplayable. They also do not recognize proper HDCP compliant computers and require your monitor be connected to PC by HDMI, even though DVI cables are also HDCP compliant. So, my advice to Samsung TV owners is: Only buy movies from Vudu that are part of MoviesAnywhere, so you can play them with the Amazon player, and NEVER rent from them.

saraw146
11/16/18

I have superfast internet that works wonderfully on every other app/ movie/ stream/ etc. but whenever I watch movies on vudu, it's constant lagging, sound going in and out, and if I need to rewind or fast forward...forget it. It will "load" for 40 minutes. I'm going to go back to buyingon amazon prime.

pattyv28
11/12/18

I have always enjoyed vudu, until a couple of months ago my digital copies said error please re-download to continue playback abs when I try to do that, it says we don't have a version of this movie on IOS, so contact vudu. So I do and I'm told, even though I've bought a digital copy, I can't use it on my iPad. I can watch it when I'm attached to WiFi, but so much for being able to watch on the go!!! Anyone else have this problem or an answer for me. Doesn't help in the car for kids on a long ride!!!

seand150
11/11/18

Why would anyone want to participate in a relationship where the other person tells you right off, that they are dishonest? May they die soon.

jonathans289
10/30/18

I loved vudu when it first came about. I have over 300 movies in my vudu library. However since mega hog walmart bought them and 5ook over it has gone to hell. Overpriced for movies and shipping and the deals vudu would do previous are nonexistent now. The free movies with ads is a alright concept but guess that means that they have to the raise the price everywhere else .

anela6
10/25/18

Customer reps have no people skills. They're rude and condescending. They don't care what your concern is, much less help you resolve it. Thier app works horribly on devices. Constantly freezing and claiming no internet connection despite having connection. I can get Netflix and Amazon Prime to play my movies, but not Vudu. I've come to realize it's an issue that won't be resolved.

jerryp143
10/13/18

I buy a lot of movies and i redeem the codes from the movies i buy along with sales vudu does over the years. They have been taking away movies i own and tv series i own throughout the years. I contact support they copy and paste some generic response that does not help you with the issue. You reply for weeks and you never get a real response just some automated response only... I called the phone support there liars and have no clue what there doing. They do not even want to check your account to verify stuff they make up some excuses.

Best i got was them telling me i have to have proof of all the codes i redeemed with a huge list of info they want per movie. When you have hundreds of movies and you have no clue which ones are gone but a few then what? They will not look into this issue even through if you google them taking content it is flooded with so many that has it happened to them some over 400 titles even. Most do not get it fixed cause support is not support... I am shocked over these years not enough people did not do a class action lawsuit against them. I guess most people either to lazy or used to getting scammed and is a normal thing in there life so no big deal.

This last issue i redeemed conan fine but it is missing my library and my proof i should have it shows i redeemed it ok in vudu billing but missing to watch. Vudu will not help there clueless and have to stick to a automated script on phone and email support.

They are cons and sick of being conned with digital content since there is hardly any laws to protect the consumer for digital goods....

chelseab62
10/9/18

Why promise instant watch of a movie that you order just to be put off like you don't matter? I ordered 2 movies both which had (vudu instant watch). But when I went to my vudu account those movies weren't there. I called to let the customer service department know the problem I was having. Of course I had to open a claim. So 2 days have passed by with no solution. I called vudu back just to be told they'll get back with me, but they don't know when. One of my movies have already shipped. I'll get the physical copy before I get access to the digital copy. So why buy a movie with the incentive of instant watch when you never got it? Vudu has lost this customer and if anyone asks me what I think about vudu, I'll be sure to tell them not to fall for the lies!!!!

80 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Nope there crooks been that way for years...

By Jerry P.

I would just stay away from vudu altogether. They are the worst company I have ever interacted with. I spent a lot of money on videos with them and I cannot watch any of them because the just buffer literally every 5 seconds and then I downloaded them through vudu to go and they won't play on there either. I keep getting a message that vudu cannot authenticate my account. I e-mailed customer services 3 times and have never received a response. I have wasted about $1000.00 on movies that I cannot watch. I have started using amazon prime video and other sites as well and have no problems whatsoever. Just stay away from vudu they are just taking your money.

By Lisa J.

I have had nothing but problems with vudu. My opinion is just stay away and use another company. They are the worst. You will waste your money.

By Lisa J.

Because with most of the digital movie sites all linking together they don't care. I made the mistake of consolidating my digital library into one spot (VUDU) and purchased the movies on VUDU that I had on other sites. Then they all started merging. Lucky me.

By James T.

First, you check the code and make sure it is for Ultra Violet or VUDU. Many codes are for other sites. When you buy a code do so using Paypal because they guarantee the codes. The retailers do not. You must set up an account with both and connect them. Any movie you redeem on UV should appear in your VUDU account. If you still don't see it in your VUDU account call the person who supplied the code. They should give you a new one. If from a store, call the manufacturer listed on the UV code inside the DVD box(sony,lionsgate, warner Brothers, etc.). If it still does not work there are a host of reasons and they stem from your ISP to VUDU itself. I have found that the problems are varied.

By John H.

No sure. I use Walmart.com to link my movies. Maybe that's a question for their support staff.

By Ann K.

Yes, ALL shows touted as "free" have commercials, meaning the 6,000+ shows they say are free are actually not. Deceptive to say the least.

By Gregory M.

The android app for vudu is not too good, but if you gave a good wifi connection it should work. The issues I know of are related to very poor connections, where the vudu app can't decide if it wants to do "offline" or online mode. Can you be more specific about which tablet and the issue you're having?

By Mehmetcan K.

Questions? Get answers from the VUDU staff and other customers.

6 Photos for VUDU