Review of VUDU

Tel: (312)729-4068
press@vudu.com

jefferyh20
12/12/17

I use The Chrome Browser and VUDU ads are always popping up offering special prices on some titles. When I click on the ad and goto the Site I don't see the same pricing available. I sent Customer service an inquiry about this and they claimed they can only honor prices on their own website and not ad's on Third party sites like browsers. That is just plain old bait and switch and false advertising as far as I'm concerned. The service itself is not that great anyways and I won't be using it.
Walmart has to be losing money big time on this terrible service.

gg110
12/4/17

I bought a movie through Vudu that was supposed to include a DVD, Blu-ray, and a T-shirt. I got the digital copy from only. When I contacted them, they told me I clicked on the wrong option, even though it clearly stated that all this was included and they refused to honor their offer. This was after they told me they never had this offer in the first place. On top of them falsely advertising, 1/2 the time, I cannot access my library.

linzem
11/28/17

Bought movies will not stream. Too busy? Network errors. All others sites stream fine. Will stick with Netflicks and Prime.

katheriner37
11/25/17

Even if you own a movie or show it gives you the option to Rent it and they will charge you. You also have to put the parental settings on every single device, you would think common sense would be to add it your account not the device. My 7 year old autistic son rented a tv show we already own through VUDU, I requested a refund where they can clearly see that we own it and they will not give me a refund. I asked several times to be put in contact with a supervisor and they refused to do so.

stacyc53
11/11/17

I purchased the promotional offer of digital copy HDX on vudu 9/27/17 with sole purpose of recieving the copy and special tiara gift as it was advertised at the time. I waited for movie to be available in stores, then weeks for the movie/gift to be sent to me, nothing came. I sent an email to customer service on 10/27/17, but still did not get a response. I called customet service 11/11/17 and got MELISSA who repeatedly said the promotional offer had ended in June. My question was if it ended in June then why was it still being offered in September when I made my purchase. She told me to send in a screen shot of the offer then they would honor it....wtf....if I knew at the time I would have this problem, of course I would have taken a picture for evidence. She repeatedly said her team adviced her that the promotional offer expired in June....what happened to the customer is always right policy...I have been a customer for years and definitely am not trying to get something for free. If I make another promo offer purchase I will make sure to take a pic of the offer as proof, but reading some of these reviews, I am not sure if a problem did come up that it would be fixed correctly.

fredj62
10/21/17

Just got it. Cant connect. On hold with customer service
Worst experience with a steaming app Ive experienced.
They wont be around long.

erikao5
10/12/17

Reasonable prices and awesome customer service! Not sure why everyone says streaming was bad? Could be a problem with their internet service! Never have had a problem!

tyr625
10/10/17

By far the worst streaming service I have ever experienced. I am so glad I did not actually spend money on this terrible service.

emmetts21
10/7/17

Bought Roku box. Got Vudu. Changed mind 2 minutes later. Didn'twant it. Was going to be charged $100 to NOT use it. Bad English speaker sez $100!!. WTF.
Had to cancel credit card so wouldn't be changed Chump Fee. Rip off. Shoulda' read reviews first.

kellyn44
10/6/17

Vudu is has the worst streaming and customer service I've ever experienced! Movies purchased will freeze up my entire tv (which is a new samsung uhd smart tv). I'd have better luck pulling out an old scratched up DVD to play. When I've emailed them for assistance they would never respond

bryanh92
9/23/17

VIDU is raw crap. Constant buffering and loss of service. You suck. I'm going to start a website called VUDUsucks.com. Screw you!!!!!

richardl191
9/5/17

I have been a Vudu customer for approximately four years. I have over a thousand movies in my cloud account. Everything works fine unless you have an issue and try to contact online support. They do not provide a customer service phone number. I had purchased some movies about four months ago in order to obtain a discount movie theater ticket voucher on a recently released movie. I never got the voucher and went thru several E mails with Vudu online customer service with no resolution and finally gave up. They were totally clueless. Then I purchased "The "Mummy" with Tom Cruise to get a $3.00 credit. I got the credit verification code but it was invalid. I E mailed a copy of the verification code as a word doc. and they said they needed a JPEG photo. So I took a picture of the Verification code with my Android phone and E mailed a picture to them., They said they could not open it and to send another one. This is to much hassle for three dollars. I am seriously considering buying my digital content from another provider. I have spent literally thousands of dollars with Vudu, and this is how they treat their best customers. Shameful!

christineb107
8/29/17

Vudu is horrible. Their customer service is abysmal. A few months ago I would have recommended Vudu for it's convenience (the luxury of bringing your movie library with you anywhere with a decent internet connection, without having to lug around dvds/blu-rays), but now, I would suggest people find an alternative service. I have just enough movies with Vudu to make it hard for me to walk away from my investment. I keep rewriting my review because it gets so long, but here's my story. I bought "Bridesmaids" on dvd and that dvd had the unrated and theatrical versions on it. When I redeemed my code for the movie, I honestly only saw the theatrical version so I just assumed that the unrated version was included just like my physical dvd. It wasn't. So I just let it go and continued to add more movies to my library because I typically buy movies at Walmart, and that's how I signed up for Vudu, through Walmart (turns out, and I didn't realize this at first, Vudu is a Walmart company), and Walmart offers Instawatch for a lot of orders. So you have the ability to watch a movie before it ships from the store. So that was a plus. But eventually I realized that some of my most favorite scenes from "Bridemaids" were missing in theatrical version. Every time I'd watch the movie when I wasn't at home and couldn't just use the dvd, I would anticipate a scene and then it'd dawn on me, oh right, it's not in the theatrical version. So I looked up the price of the Vudu digital download of the unrated version, which I was able to find this time, and I went to Walmart.com. For the same price as just a digital copy, I was able to buy a blu-ray/dvd/digital copy of "Bridesmaids." I had recently gotten a blu-ray player finally, so I decided that it would be a good idea to buy the blu-ray/combo version and just use the corresponding code to get the unrated version. Well, I ordered several other things from Walmart in that order and I was sent 4 packages at various times. One of the packages was a papery envelope with a sticky/adhesive inner layer where the blu-ray case was with the shipping invoice. The invoice got stuck and torn and I threw it out not realizing I would need it. I was busy and forgot to renew the code inside the case for awhile and then I finally got around to it when I had free time. I input the code and it wasn't giving me the option for the unrated version. I thought I had selected the unrated version but it went through for the theatrical version somehow and I got an error message saying sorry, you already have the theatrical version. Something to that effect. So I tried to input the digital download code again but it said it was already used. Obviously I don't want 2 versions of the theatrical version, and it actually didn't give me a second copy of the theatrical version. In my library I still have the same theatrical version and just one copy of it. So I contacted Vudu support. Each time they took a couple days to a few days to get back to me. Each time wanting more photos to prove I bought the movie. I explained I didn't have the invoice, that it was thrown out, but I bought the movie online from Walmart and I took photos of the physical blu-ray box, the blu-ray and dvd copies inside, and the code inside, as well as photos of my logged in account on Walmarts website showing the order, and that wasn't enough. I had to find the emails, which luckily I hadn't deleted, showing my order with Walmart and my shipping confirmation from Walmart. I didn't realize that Walmart owned Vudu at that time, and I told them they could contact Walmart to prove that I had purchased the movie in question. I was told that I would have to buy the Vudu digital copy to have the unrated version. So that would be 1 movie that I would have bought 3 times at this point. I declined and I was informed that my request/claim would be escalated to the next level. No one has ever replied to me in almost a month. I assume I'm not getting my movie I bought and paid for. They pretend to help, by being semi helpful initially, only to constantly request more info, more info, more info. I wish they would have just told me straight off that they weren't going to help, instead of making me waste my time for weeks corresponding back and forth, taking photos like a moron. I get trying to make sure someone isn't trying to scam a movie out of them for free, but they're a Walmart company and I guarantee you they could easily contact Walmart and find that I ordered a blu-ray/dvd/digital copy from them. Vudu is fine as long as you never have an issue. I had it for along time before an issue arose for me, and the one time I had a problem, they couldn't address it. You'll just keep getting put off until they stop replying to you. Shameful company. I wish I chose another service to store my movies on. One positive of having physical copies of a movie is that you actually own your film. You can take it anywhere and unless you break it or damage it in some way, it's yours. Vudu has proven that something that you own isn't actually yours, because they will happily expect you to repurchase something that you own instead of providing you a modicum of customer service and fixing a problem. Use Vudu at your own risk. I have already told friends and family that Vudu has awful customer support. Ultimately I feel really stupid. If I repurchase this movie I'll have spent nearly $50 for a single movie. That's not okay. Vudu does indeed suck!

danielw148
8/27/17

I bought 2 DVD's from Walmart that had VUDU stickers on them that said "FREE digital download if you buy this DVD". I got "Planet of the Apes" & "Friday the 13th". I try to download the movies and Friday the 13 didn't download all the way and Planet of the Apes didn't download at all. I called VUDU to get my movies on my VUDU page and they said they would fix it. 1 week went by, no movies on my page. 2 weeks went by I call they said they now needed a copy of my Walmart receipt and they wanted pictures of the DVD boxes and they would give me my movies. I send the the receipt and pics. 3 weeks go by, and still no movies on my VUDU page. I call again, they say their working on it and have to ask the studios if they can put it on my VUDU page. I assume they were referring to Hollywood Studios. It's going on a month & a few days. I never did get the other half of my Friday the 13th movie nor did I receive the Planet of the Apes at all. I have my e-mails between us and would love to post them here so you guys can actually see the way they're acting with me. I feel I was scammed into buying DVD's in the name of more American theft against more unsuspecting victims.

jessicat108
8/25/17

Started watching a movie. Paused for 5 minutes. Came back. Now randomly have closed captions and cannot get rid of them. Disconnected service and re-signed up. Still the same. Not a TV issue. Watching everything else - no captions. Put on VUDU and no matter what movie or show: captions. Customer service closed now. Pathetic.

balthazarf
8/23/17

Vudu's services stream just fine. I have 14mbps coming down from them right now
The catch is this: you can't stream using a browser anymore and are stuck using their app. Their really poorly written app.

Don't $#*! about your T-Mobile Tuesdays $#*!, don't complain about conspiracy thoeries, don't moan and groan about buffering. It ain't them in those instances, it's you. Solutions:
Pay for your movie
Buy physical copies
Get better internet.

Their app sucks on PC and their lack of PC browser play support is horrendous.

Also, jaqueline, you're absolutely out of place review made me smile. Thank you!

rayc96
8/15/17

Let me start by saying that I used to sing Vudu's praises. And I've still never had a problem purchasing directly from Vudu or viewing a movie with Vudu on any platform. That being said, converting from disc to digital is another story, Converting from the iPhone/iPad app hasn't worked for me at all. If you try to convert through the app and it doesn't work, Vudu to Go won't allow you to add those movies to your cart on PC. That's fun. Then there is Vudu/Walmart's Instawatch. The idea is to scan your Walmart receipt into the Walmart app and and any qualifying movie you purchased will instantly show up in your Vudu account. And sometimes it does. When it doesn't, you have to take a picture of the receipt, take pictures of the front and back cover of the blu-ray, then wait three weeks for someone to email you back. Sort of the opposite of instant. Emailing Vudu is just sending your problem into a void. The only replies I've ever gotten were weeks later asking if they had fixed the problem. I thought I would try calling. No one that I talked to could answer any question I had or offer any solution to the problem. Also, customer service is 9-5, Monday-Friday. I rarely watch movies from 9-5, Monday-Friday. If anyone else at all ever offers me a place to convert/purchase/watch all of my UltraViolet movies in one place, I will happily move on from Vudu. Unless it's a Disney movie, right now, they're the only game in town for UV.

alainj1
8/14/17

i have been using vudu for 2 months, since burnibg copies of my purchase dvd's just taking too long. ifrom the beginning, their habit of crashing was a problem, and when i asked them they said my browser was causing the problem. their streaming is inferior, and most downloads will be copied with little buffering going on, almost all the time. finally, i gave up on them when i asked to get a refund on a title that must have inferior duplications, it skipped, repeated and crashed. when they finally got back to me, a week later, they said as a courtesy whey will refund this one time only. this after i have purchased clase to $1,000 of titles. they look more like crazy eddie, than Amazon.

stacyw36
8/4/17

Let me start by saying I loved vudu at one time. I was able to put our movie codes into it for easy access to stuff on the go and I was able to buy and rent movies easily. Now, this was a total of 62 movies total on my vudu account when all was good and then turned horrible.
One day I just couldn't login. I called. Because it turned out my account was taken over by someone else. I was told I'd hear back in 5 days after review. I had them delete my billing information in the meantime. I had to keep calling back because I never heard from them. Two weeks in and still no resolution. I was able to verify all the billing information and card number used on the account and still no help. Three weeks and four weeks and still nothing. And they say it has to be submitted up to the top tier because they are the only ones who can make decisions based on payments. And still nothing. And they tell you that you cannot speak with the top tier people and the top tier people will only email you when they are ready. Still. Nothing. And now I have lost the ability to access my 62 movies that I paid for and can prove but it doesn't matter. And they can't change anything because the person who called and changed the account to their name has all the billing information too. A complete and utter mess and they said I could despute the charges with my bank to then have the account locked and never accessed. They actually told me that would be what would happen. So I'd only recover the money for the movies I purchased through vudu and none of the digital copies out in. And even then they said they could not guarantee that since I did admit to buying the movies when I was speaking with them on the phone. Completely horrible customer and managerial services from vudu. How hard is it to see a person used their card to purchase movies and say okay this is who the movies belong to. It's not rocket science and shouldn't be that complicated. They do not take care of their customers and their customer's private account information and they get out of it by citing they have "policies" in place that create these so called rules.
Do not recommend you ever use them. It may be great for awhile but the moment an issue arises where you need to call them for help... you will be left feeling robbed and helpless. It's a horrible feeling and they don't care. That's the worst part. You know they could do the right thing but they choose not to.

jamesb561
7/23/17

Pros: I love the library and search functions. Best I have seen.

Cons: I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Both stream fine. Vudu does not. I order up a movie to watch, then try to watch it, then nothing for 5 minutes. The next day try again and it finally allows me to watch it but stops halfway through the movie and says my 24 hours is up.

jamesd335
7/14/17

I was OK with the site until I needed tech support and found out how horrible the support was. The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way is they are unapologetic about it as well. They know and don't care. A really bad signal. There are plenty of issues with the actual streaming as well, but I can be patient if I have good support. They send you this form letter after they give you a lame excuse for their failure or inability to fix an issue that the matter will be resolved in 72 hours if they don't hear back from you. All the little things they could have done to lessen the sting of poor service they don't and act as if they don't care. It is just painful to deal with these people.

joshj32
6/28/17

Good luck finding a browser that will allow you to stream a movie from their site. Contstant Flash errors even after updating flash. I paused a movie halfway to continue it the next day and it said I'd watched the full thing. Contacted customer service and they said it looks like you watched the whole movie. Customer Service is nonexistent, stay away!!!

jacquelinev9
6/17/17

Man handled at door and insulted. Restaurant next door got involved, something dodgy going on.. lots of women in there long afteŕ it closed? Racist and ageist

mk147
6/9/17

There isn't one issue on site I haven't experienced since signing up with VUDU/ VOODOO, and I'm pissed, because I expected this, and yet, I signed up for it, which makes me the model consumer in the eyes of WALMART/VOODOO and the other new age giants who have stripped consumers of their rights to expect good service, respect and some modicum of privacy when it comes to our information.

But nooo, I started to believe all the hype. It was everywhere, and there were people who loved what they thought would be a CONVENIENCE, but I knew better. There's never been a convenience offered without the eventual price tag attached to it, and when it comes to anything digital, the American consumer is still feigning ignorance to the reality that services like VOODOO/VUDU/VOODOO and WALMART have succeeded in having their cake and eating it, too.

Think about it: every last one of these selfish, elitist power hungry CROOKS - AMAZON, VUDU, GOOGLE, et al, have carved out and designated "space" making it their own, giving it a catchy name (The Cloud),and then sold us on the idea that it was possible to both "lease" and "sell" to us at the same time. Talk about two different actions occupying the same space. I can't speak to this impossibility from the position of a scientist, but as an English major, we have been led down a path of delusion that dystopian authors have written about since the first screening of the film, "Metropolis."

It's now official: These men of business, these corporate clowns, -these LIARS-intentionally create products that don't fulfill the promise. Period.

Each and every call made to a service center, every minute over 30 spent waiting for tech support, or the hours you have to make up at work,in order to stand in long lines waiting to talk to short-tempered techs, shows the utter disdain of people like "The Sam Walton Family," now considered an "american institution,' which may be a legitimate designation, when considering that the practices of "VOODOO-VUDU-VOODOO" are so much like the policies of its sister companies, Walmart and "Sams Club," both of which are now trying to model itself after Amazon and Hulu. Even as I write this, I'm almost certain Sam Walton probably calls Bezos once a week to see how he doing. They're competitors, not enemies. At least not in the sense that we've grown up to believe.
But I guess we're not to take it personally, because everyone's doing it, and these companies have sold us on the idea of wanting what we want, when we want it, and preferably getting it before we know that we want it. Such is the situation with Walmart's newest bastard child, "VOODOO/VUDU/VOODOO." What's really funny is that Walmart's "VOODOO-VUDU-VOODOO" isn't even TRYING to be as good as AMAZON Prime Time Video, which means that they'll settle for the profit that comes from the promises they make - to be the next best thing to Netflix, but, that's not likely to happen.
Still, we, the consumer continue to see, hear, touch and believe the claims of the "bright and shiny," and we buy it, only to get pissed off at the lie.
Who knew at the time that the space claimed by Google and Windows would one day represent the consumer, trying to get out from under the heavy mist that has settled on the brain and fogged the minds of people who are more than willing to be wooed by the not-so-sweet-smelling scent of companies and corporations that care not so much for money, but power.
Isn't it time for the consumer to ask themselves what they're willing to sacrifice in order to demand good business practices from predators like "The VOODOO-VUDU-VOODOO fly trap."

Meantime, I'm waiting for someone to discover how to put my movies on a disc -with or without Sam Walton's permission. Amazing. We now root for the hackers. They're the only ones keeping the rest of them on their toes.

mattw79
5/29/17

Busy tells me it recommend hex to view the movie then won't play it so I switch to the other version and all it does is buffer the whole time I don't think it's a internet problem like they say I think it's poor development by the company my net flux don't buffer a thousand times every two minutes

80 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I would just stay away from vudu altogether. They are the worst company I have ever interacted with. I spent a lot of money on videos with them and I cannot watch any of them because the just buffer literally every 5 seconds and then I downloaded them through vudu to go and they won't play on there either. I keep getting a message that vudu cannot authenticate my account. I e-mailed customer services 3 times and have never received a response. I have wasted about $1000.00 on movies that I cannot watch. I have started using amazon prime video and other sites as well and have no problems whatsoever. Just stay away from vudu they are just taking your money.

By Lisa J.

I have had nothing but problems with vudu. My opinion is just stay away and use another company. They are the worst. You will waste your money.

By Lisa J.

First, you check the code and make sure it is for Ultra Violet or VUDU. Many codes are for other sites. When you buy a code do so using Paypal because they guarantee the codes. The retailers do not. You must set up an account with both and connect them. Any movie you redeem on UV should appear in your VUDU account. If you still don't see it in your VUDU account call the person who supplied the code. They should give you a new one. If from a store, call the manufacturer listed on the UV code inside the DVD box(sony,lionsgate, warner Brothers, etc.). If it still does not work there are a host of reasons and they stem from your ISP to VUDU itself. I have found that the problems are varied.

By John H.

NO! Just like the company who owns it . . . Walmart.

By Todd O.

The android app for vudu is not too good, but if you gave a good wifi connection it should work. The issues I know of are related to very poor connections, where the vudu app can't decide if it wants to do "offline" or online mode. Can you be more specific about which tablet and the issue you're having?

By Mehmetcan K.
Questions? Get answers from the VUDU staff and other customers.

6 Photos for VUDU