Review of Lumosity

Tel: 1465486019554
info@lumosity.com

terria25
6/22/17

When I initially started with Lumosity about 5 months ago, I routinely received my games before 8:30 AM each day. I prefer to play my games earlier in the day, but take today for example, it's almost noon and no games yet. The fact that if I miss playing the games that day, I lose that opportunity completely, does not seem fair particularly when the company doesn't seem to be execute on a routine basis. The company also left a really bad taste in my mouth when they sent out an email after Trump was elected, asking all members to contribute money to help overturn the election. I didn't pay for political commentary, just a few enjoyable games that may or may not make my brain work better. I doubt that I will renew next year. The games aren't worth the aggravation.

rppdoffb
3/26/17

Signed up, didn't notice the policy stating that regardless of when a use may cancelled you will not receive a refund if it has been over 30 days. So if you cancel and there is 6 months of credit on your account, you don't get a refund. You are just up a creek. They push for the longer subscriptions and make them more affordable because if you cancel they just get to keep your money according to their policy. I think some agency should look into this issue. It was not readily apparent, they keep your money when you receive no goods or services and it should be illegal. Horrible customer service when attempting to resolve the issue. Don't sign up and warn your friend and family as well.

natek6
3/7/17

I had signed up for a two year subscription to Lumosity on March of 2015. Unknowingly the account was set up on auto-renewal for every two years so I was a little shocked when there was a charge on bank statement for the two year price. After very little digging I came up with a page www.lumosity.com/charge where I was able to ask for a refund of this charge. Literally by the time I had filled out the form the refund was back in my account. I'd never seen any company handle refunds that fast. Not only that but while I did have the account open I found great benefits from the training. The games were fun to play yet challenging enough that I could tell they were beneficial. Thanks for the great experience, I will be a customer again!

matthewn35
3/5/17

bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad badbad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

erikd18
2/12/17

I loved Lumosity and subscribed for 2 annual subscriptions in the past. I recently renewed my subscription through iTunes not thinking about any "terms & conditions" difference between doing it through the browser or otherwise. I had fun and quickly decided I wanted to upgrade to a Family Subscription. Lumosity's "Family Subscription" links took me to my account page where there was clearly no option to upgrade. After digging I found a page indicating that if I signed up through iTunes I should send an email if I want to upgrade. So, I sent an email and I was coldly told that no upgrade was possible if I signed up through iTunes and "Ashley" advised that I should disable auto-renew and just wait till my current subscription expires. Then I can upgrade to the family plan. Well, thanks to all the Lumosity training my brain is working well enough to know that it is a very stupid suggestion to wait 12 months for my subscription to expire to add the rest of my family because Lumosity's management doesn't have the flexibility to accommodate a long-term customer who renewed under the wrong platform and wants to upgrade and buy more from the company. The crass answer from the "help desk" left such a bad taste in my mouth I just want to drop the whole thing. If I had just signed up through a browser or Google Play, I could just cancel within 30 days and get my money back. Or, if I had just gone with the monthly plan... no problem. But, a good customer ready to pay a year up front, and then even more to include the rest of his family... F$#@ You!!

Tip for consumers: So, after writing my original review, a different representative followed up with me and worked out my problem. I wish I didn't have to go through this issue with iTunes, but I really have to give Lumosity credit that once I got through to a person that cared, my whole issue was indeed worked out.

dees69
1/13/17

Its been a couple of years since i last tried luminosity and nothing has changed only 50 games after these many years in business they should have hundreds of games. Their ratings as to how well you are doing is flawed and a marketing ploy. Not worth the monthly membership.

deannah20
1/12/17

I really enjoy the challenges and the games are FUN I play this stuff everyday and I like creativity very exciting.

bobb1123
12/6/16

I liked the brain exercises and used for a long time. Eventually stopped though. Saw bill on credit card last year for recurring subscription. Called Lumosity and miraculously spoke to a real person. They refused to remove the charge, but said the would take me off recurring billing. Fast forward one year and they have charged me again. Now, it is impossible to get a real person on the line to discuss this. Working through credit card company to reverse the charge. Despite what I think is a good product, this is a criminal operation and it should be prosecuted accordingly.

lc77
8/21/16

Lumosity has a bizarre refund payment policy and will NOT provide any refund for purchases made through the App Store !

My husband & I both subscribed (by mistake) and they won't refund one of the payments.

Crazy !

carlaxeld
Carl-Axel D.
8/10/16

Fun interactive games, much better than alternatives

Excellent customer support!

kayriem
8/2/16

I play it and my step daughters love to grab my phone just to play it. This is very useful to see how fast you brain can think. Ots great and im planning on doing a project on it.

jrr8
6/28/16

I am frustrated because I activated my account on a long sleepless night where I was looking for something to do with myself. I would not start Luminosity at a time when you are sleep deprived, tired otherwise, not at your best, etc.; rather do it when you are fresh and ready to do your best. If you take the initial baseline test and are subpar for yourself, bad news. They will not facilitate you starting over again. They will act like it is almost impossible to do. Starting again is thus cumbersome at best and they will act like it screws everything up. NO it does not....I think it is overall pretty good, but cust. service not so good....

kirsteny
6/24/16

This company has terrible customer service and the auto renewal is deceptive and a predatory practice especially since many MDs, OTs and PTs are recommending this particular service to people with traumatic brain injuries.

I never received an email saying my account was due for renewal or for auto-billing. I haven't used it in the last year and Lumosity refuses to give me a refund for the $99. Moreover, they didn't even offer a prorated refund for the remainder of the year. Worse than this, I haven't used this in over a year so I'm really owed 1.5 years of refund if this was a legitimate customer satisfaction-guaranteed business.

Lumosity also refused to answer their 800# as listed when my credit card company called them about my disputed charge.

I would not do business with this company ever again. If the science is decent it shouldn't depend on unscrupulous and deceptive business practices.

rosc250
6/13/16

I was due to retire and so would have time on my hands. I treated myself to a lifetime subscription after trying the games for free. I'm 67 and have reached the top (92%) of my age group. I'm aware that my scores are likely to gradually decrease as I age but I will be happy as long as I remain over the 50 percentile for my age group. It also encourages me to keep up my keyboard skills. My grandchildren play Lumosity and it's fun and interesting to compare our scores in the different categories. Don't take it too hard if you get a low score - you can always try to improve next time.

judithn8
4/28/16

I received a gift subscription to Lumosity as a Christmas gift from a friend. After playing it for four months, I don't see any real improvement in my brain function. Evidently, I got the most basic package because I only get about a dozen games to play over and over again--even if I don't like them--and once my workout for the day is done, I can't play again until the next day. Also, if I'm on the last game and accidently hit "next" instead of "play again," there's no way to go back. Very annoying. Some of my scores have improved and continue to improve, but others have stayed pretty much the same or even decreased. I don't see any real difference in my day-to-day ability to function in the world. When this subscription is up, I won't renew. There are enough free games on the web to play which are as good or better at challenging your brain than Lumosity's.

mlt
4/17/16

I signed up for a Lumosity family package. After paying it has a perpetual message " We cannot process your application at the moment"

Regretfully, transaction went through, Called my credit card to cancel so that i do not get recurring charges and will DEFINITELY CHALLENGE THE PAYMENT MADE.
17 April 2016

susanz28
3/29/16

I broke my ankle last April. Luminosity was something that was able to make my time spent at home productive. My favorite part of the day was doing Luminosity. As a result of my constant use of Luminosity, I found that it actually repaired parts of my brain that gave me better memory, attention and problem solving abilities. I was great at speed and flexibility right from the beginning. As I progressed in the other areas, I saw great life changing results. I always wrote better than I spoke. The ability to slow down and do better in areas that I still struggled with, gave me the ability to speak better. I believe that in slowing down to improve my ability to have better memory, attention, and problem solving caused me to slow down before I spoke. Now I'd say that my ability to speak is more in line with my ability to write. I am coming off more like the intelligent person that I have always been in my ability to communicate. Thank you Luminosity!

michellew113
3/2/16

I have been using Lumosity for several years, but have recently developed a hand and head tremor which deem it next to impossible to play most the games on the site. I wrote to the company to ask for suggestions, and NEVER heard back. They are quick to take our money, but not to offer service. I tried calling the company today, and of course got a recording which said to write them an email which I have done twice already. I wish I could talk to a person. The company has already had legal action for automatically charging credit cards for renewals. You think the company would improve its policies.

danielp94
2/24/16

Started using Lumosity when I was having memory and concentration issues. I went from 23rd to 91st percentile in a few months, but my memory and concentration in the real world have not improved. Most of the games are boring. Some depend on the equipment used for example "Eagle Eye" is much easier to play on a small screen. My score can double when I use my laptop vs. my 26" screen. What's up with that? At best Lumosity is a timewaster for people who aren't into computer gaming. At worst it is a total scam.

luisc40
1/25/16

I am a professional boxer and I mainly concentrate on attention, and within 2 months of playing attention games my reflects gotten seriously good that I can barely get hit in the ring now.. 100 thumbs up

richs33
1/19/16

Faulty app, continuous sneaky billing despite opting out, NO Phone number & take forever to respond with Pre written responses of no explanation what's really going on. Then will use every excuse not to reimburse non approved funds taken from you. I feel this company preys on what they believe as "stupid people needing brain improvements". I'm surprised they are still in business, not being sued.
Very Disapointed Fraustrated EX Customer.

jamesm375
1/17/16

I liked this for the first month, so I bought a year subscription. I am usually careful to deselect auto-renew boxes. We'll a month after that and it got repetitive, I could see that it wasn't helping. But they continue to charge me the next year. Thank to the lawsuit, I am aware of what is happening and switched the account off of autorenew. Will set an alarm to double check that they didn't charge me again later this year. The folks who run this site are low life criminals looking to take as many $50 nibbles as they can. No thanks to NPR for promoting the f^ck out them last year.

joelm67
1/10/16

and in particular one doesn't get a sharper mind by doing mindless things. When I hit a plateau on a game, I look for ways to play or look at the game differently.

meyera4
1/10/16

I signed up for Lumosity over 5 years ago. After 2 years, I decided to cancel my subscription. I called and advised them of this and they told me that being that the annual subscription was just auto renewed the prior month that there was nothing that could be done. They told me I would not be auto-renewed again. This turned out to be not true. They continued billing me. Recently I asked for a refund and pointed to the fact that the account has not been accessed in 3 years. They refused to refund anything. Make sure that you read the fine print!!!

karyne2
1/4/16

took money out of my paypal account when i went to find what email it was on encase i made one while drinking so i wrote every email i had in the forgot password and all said no account but yet they are taking money out of my paypal EXPLAINED IT 7 TIMES TO THE PERSON WHOS $#*!ING STUPID STILL HAS GOTTEN THE I HAVE NO ACCOUNT WHY ARE YOU TAKING MY MONEY....

Helpful answer

There is a free trial, but it is not indicative of the whole site. As with Brian S I can only underline what he says, and keep right away from it. Lumosity is actually run by Google, and I think it's more a case of information gathering dressed up as an online fit brain exercise programme.

By Caroline M. on 7/21/15

Yes and yes!

By Kalle H. on 4/24/15
Helpful answer

It has helped me remember phone number, people's names, gaming recal and password recall. It has improved my ability to focus, task change and use peripheral vision and direction. Hope this answers your question.

By Judith S. on 9/13/15
Helpful answer

It is neither good or bad. Your intention for using it and frequency of practice determine if it will help you in a positive way. Some people will not be very challenged because their mental function is already very high. But for those who are having cognitive challenges it can be a huge help. I have read many articles that show that improving memory, task handling. Etc. help people who are starting to decline. You can do a web search for info. But for me the best proof has been in improvement of my mental functions post chemo.

By Judith S. on 9/10/11
Helpful answer

Luminosity and other brain-training games claim to be able to. I just prefer not having to be lied to when signing up for their subscription. They said on the subscription page that the payment would be taken out of my bank account on a recurring basis of $3-4/month only to discover the next day that they had taken out the gull amount! Not very ethical business practices, IMO.

By Janise R. on 10/28/15
Helpful answer

Unfortunately, Steven M. Is right.Their "Customer Service" is abysmal. I empathize with anyone who is stuck with Lumosity and their fraudulent business practices and bogus mind exercises.

By Mary B. on 9/3/15
Helpful answer

Notify your card holder. Give them the proof showing that you notified Luminosity to close account.

By melinda s. on 11/25/15
Helpful answer

Go to your profile setting and follow the links to where your bank information is or call them,I think the number is under contact us.I use to have mine on auto and had no problem getting them to remove it by calling them.

By Darla L. on 8/9/15
Helpful answer

Are you using a computer or the app? With all the memory games to practice why did you get so hung up on that one? Any number of things from the server, type of product or program you are using with the games can cause a problem bu oersonally after playing them all many, many time I think Lumosity does a good job. Mine worked much better on my iPad after I downloaded the app. Might you want to try other games?

By Judith S. on 8/8/15
Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Lumosity staff and other customers.

Lumosity?