US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

dees69
1/13/17

Its been a couple of years since i last tried luminosity and nothing has changed only 50 games after these many years in business they should have hundreds of games. Their ratings as to how well you are doing is flawed and a marketing ploy. Not worth the monthly membership.

deannah20
1/12/17

I really enjoy the challenges and the games are FUN I play this stuff everyday and I like creativity very exciting.

bobb1123
12/6/16

I liked the brain exercises and used for a long time. Eventually stopped though. Saw bill on credit card last year for recurring subscription. Called Lumosity and miraculously spoke to a real person. They refused to remove the charge, but said the would take me off recurring billing. Fast forward one year and they have charged me again. Now, it is impossible to get a real person on the line to discuss this. Working through credit card company to reverse the charge. Despite what I think is a good product, this is a criminal operation and it should be prosecuted accordingly.

lc77
8/21/16

Lumosity has a bizarre refund payment policy and will NOT provide any refund for purchases made through the App Store !

My husband & I both subscribed (by mistake) and they won't refund one of the payments.

Crazy !

carl-axeld
Carl-Axel D.
8/10/16

Fun interactive games, much better than alternatives

Excellent customer support!

kayriem
8/2/16

I play it and my step daughters love to grab my phone just to play it. This is very useful to see how fast you brain can think. Ots great and im planning on doing a project on it.

jrr8
6/28/16

I am frustrated because I activated my account on a long sleepless night where I was looking for something to do with myself. I would not start Luminosity at a time when you are sleep deprived, tired otherwise, not at your best, etc.; rather do it when you are fresh and ready to do your best. If you take the initial baseline test and are subpar for yourself, bad news. They will not facilitate you starting over again. They will act like it is almost impossible to do. Starting again is thus cumbersome at best and they will act like it screws everything up. NO it does not....I think it is overall pretty good, but cust. service not so good....

kirsteny
6/24/16

This company has terrible customer service and the auto renewal is deceptive and a predatory practice especially since many MDs, OTs and PTs are recommending this particular service to people with traumatic brain injuries.

I never received an email saying my account was due for renewal or for auto-billing. I haven't used it in the last year and Lumosity refuses to give me a refund for the $99. Moreover, they didn't even offer a prorated refund for the remainder of the year. Worse than this, I haven't used this in over a year so I'm really owed 1.5 years of refund if this was a legitimate customer satisfaction-guaranteed business.

Lumosity also refused to answer their 800# as listed when my credit card company called them about my disputed charge.

I would not do business with this company ever again. If the science is decent it shouldn't depend on unscrupulous and deceptive business practices.

rosc250
6/13/16

I was due to retire and so would have time on my hands. I treated myself to a lifetime subscription after trying the games for free. I'm 67 and have reached the top (92%) of my age group. I'm aware that my scores are likely to gradually decrease as I age but I will be happy as long as I remain over the 50 percentile for my age group. It also encourages me to keep up my keyboard skills. My grandchildren play Lumosity and it's fun and interesting to compare our scores in the different categories. Don't take it too hard if you get a low score - you can always try to improve next time.

judithn8
4/28/16

I received a gift subscription to Lumosity as a Christmas gift from a friend. After playing it for four months, I don't see any real improvement in my brain function. Evidently, I got the most basic package because I only get about a dozen games to play over and over again--even if I don't like them--and once my workout for the day is done, I can't play again until the next day. Also, if I'm on the last game and accidently hit "next" instead of "play again," there's no way to go back. Very annoying. Some of my scores have improved and continue to improve, but others have stayed pretty much the same or even decreased. I don't see any real difference in my day-to-day ability to function in the world. When this subscription is up, I won't renew. There are enough free games on the web to play which are as good or better at challenging your brain than Lumosity's.

mlt
4/17/16

I signed up for a Lumosity family package. After paying it has a perpetual message " We cannot process your application at the moment"

Regretfully, transaction went through, Called my credit card to cancel so that i do not get recurring charges and will DEFINITELY CHALLENGE THE PAYMENT MADE.
17 April 2016

susanz28
3/29/16

I broke my ankle last April. Luminosity was something that was able to make my time spent at home productive. My favorite part of the day was doing Luminosity. As a result of my constant use of Luminosity, I found that it actually repaired parts of my brain that gave me better memory, attention and problem solving abilities. I was great at speed and flexibility right from the beginning. As I progressed in the other areas, I saw great life changing results. I always wrote better than I spoke. The ability to slow down and do better in areas that I still struggled with, gave me the ability to speak better. I believe that in slowing down to improve my ability to have better memory, attention, and problem solving caused me to slow down before I spoke. Now I'd say that my ability to speak is more in line with my ability to write. I am coming off more like the intelligent person that I have always been in my ability to communicate. Thank you Luminosity!

michellew113
3/2/16

I have been using Lumosity for several years, but have recently developed a hand and head tremor which deem it next to impossible to play most the games on the site. I wrote to the company to ask for suggestions, and NEVER heard back. They are quick to take our money, but not to offer service. I tried calling the company today, and of course got a recording which said to write them an email which I have done twice already. I wish I could talk to a person. The company has already had legal action for automatically charging credit cards for renewals. You think the company would improve its policies.

danielp94
2/24/16

Started using Lumosity when I was having memory and concentration issues. I went from 23rd to 91st percentile in a few months, but my memory and concentration in the real world have not improved. Most of the games are boring. Some depend on the equipment used for example "Eagle Eye" is much easier to play on a small screen. My score can double when I use my laptop vs. my 26" screen. What's up with that? At best Lumosity is a timewaster for people who aren't into computer gaming. At worst it is a total scam.

luisc40
1/25/16

I am a professional boxer and I mainly concentrate on attention, and within 2 months of playing attention games my reflects gotten seriously good that I can barely get hit in the ring now.. 100 thumbs up

richs33
1/19/16

Faulty app, continuous sneaky billing despite opting out, NO Phone number & take forever to respond with Pre written responses of no explanation what's really going on. Then will use every excuse not to reimburse non approved funds taken from you. I feel this company preys on what they believe as "stupid people needing brain improvements". I'm surprised they are still in business, not being sued.
Very Disapointed Fraustrated EX Customer.

jamesm375
1/17/16

I liked this for the first month, so I bought a year subscription. I am usually careful to deselect auto-renew boxes. We'll a month after that and it got repetitive, I could see that it wasn't helping. But they continue to charge me the next year. Thank to the lawsuit, I am aware of what is happening and switched the account off of autorenew. Will set an alarm to double check that they didn't charge me again later this year. The folks who run this site are low life criminals looking to take as many $50 nibbles as they can. No thanks to NPR for promoting the f^ck out them last year.

joelm67
1/10/16

and in particular one doesn't get a sharper mind by doing mindless things. When I hit a plateau on a game, I look for ways to play or look at the game differently.

meyera4
1/10/16

I signed up for Lumosity over 5 years ago. After 2 years, I decided to cancel my subscription. I called and advised them of this and they told me that being that the annual subscription was just auto renewed the prior month that there was nothing that could be done. They told me I would not be auto-renewed again. This turned out to be not true. They continued billing me. Recently I asked for a refund and pointed to the fact that the account has not been accessed in 3 years. They refused to refund anything. Make sure that you read the fine print!!!

karyne2
1/4/16

took money out of my paypal account when i went to find what email it was on encase i made one while drinking so i wrote every email i had in the forgot password and all said no account but yet they are taking money out of my paypal EXPLAINED IT 7 TIMES TO THE PERSON WHOS $#*!ING STUPID STILL HAS GOTTEN THE I HAVE NO ACCOUNT WHY ARE YOU TAKING MY MONEY....

taray2
12/31/15

I started out with my problem solving ability at 99.8%, As I wondered where I could go from here, I've found myself now at 85%. So did I lose brain power???
My memory, though, which had been at 50% rose to the 92% once I gave it more attention and effort.
To sum it, I've learned the games and improved my performance of them to the top of my age group by learning them. After a while some of them became boring. I skip them all the time (hence losing points?) Some others I've reached as high as I can (e.g. trains at level 12) and all my failed efforts only lower my scores, not improve my brain ability.

For me, Lumosity is fun.

cherylb46
12/27/15

The only way to improve you score was to use a faster computer. Very boring.

diannes22
12/16/15

I subscribed to the premium version and one month later I emailed them to ask if I could convert to the family plan and how the price would change. I got a detailed email saying they would reimburse the unused portion of my premium plan. So I converted to the family plan and they refused to reimburse me IAW their own email. So...beware! They rip you off, even if say they won't. They don't honor their promises.

jayd193
12/7/15

I used Lumosity for a year and had no trouble canceling when subscription period came to an end. I'm surprised to see all the negative reviews about auto-renewal. It seems like these people didn't read the terms when they signed up. I really enjoyed the games and found them challenging and Lumosity added new ones frequently. I'm planning to start my subscription again, but while I was doing price research, I stumbled upon these reviews and just thought I'd chime in with a different perspective.

susieg4
11/28/15

Why am I suddenly locked out from playing the games I usually play? If I am at an anniversary, why haven't received a notice?

27 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Lumosity staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question