Review of Lumosity

Tel: 1465486019554
info@lumosity.com

chrisa357
9/7/18

This company should be shut down!! Their false advertising and billing practices should land them in jail. There customer service is voice mail and you have to leave message and they say they'll get back to you and they don't!! They continue billing you!!

STAY AWAY!!! STAY AWAY!!!! You wish you would've!!!

Sooooooo tired of dealing with companies that spam, slam and scam you and then you have to try and work through your CC company to stop them!!

This is one of them!!

oa6
8/22/18

The product is useless (at least no impact on me), and they keep charging you, and refuse to cancel the charge due to "policy"

maym33
8/14/18

It has been proved by many research that Lumosity does not improve IQ and all those false claims it makes on their website. They should be sued for misrepresentation. They also try to scam you with auto renewals that are really difficult to get out of.

lizr89
6/7/18

I clicked on the unsubscribe button, but I need to login to unsubscribe. I don't remember my login or password. I've email asking how to get the login, no reply. You make it easy for people to try out the service, but not to leave the service. Why?

snoopayl
4/12/18

they said that they would give a full experience for free...
Then I get an email and It says get full experience for "300 dollars for life".

neils32
3/30/18
• Updated review

I wrote my first review on Lumosity in 2011 after 3 years of using their programs. I have read lots of reviews about their billing process and even though, unfortunately, this has probably hurt their reputation a little, I have continued to use their service and I will tell you why.

In 2007 I suffered a serious accident to my neck and lower spine, but it also caused some neurological damage affecting my memory. I lost the ability to recall words and remember information and facts when under pressure. My doctor said I would be in a wheelchair within 5 to 10 years and my psychologist and neuro physician said I would probably have memory loss and impaired neural function for the rest of my life. In 2018 I am walking, I have full use of all my limbs and even though I still suffer from some nerve damage and pain, my brain has repaired itself through using Lumosity's neuroplasticity training program. Please note: I am not an employee, associate or family member of Lumosity, and I have not been paid to endorse or recommend this company. I have had no contact with them in the 10 years I have been a member.

I was a concert musician before the injury, so I was used to practising regimens. I tried quite a few programs before settling on Lumosity. I have followed their schedule and training plan diligently and did extra exercises in the skill areas where I was down in my percentiles. Hard work has DEFINITELY returned good results. I thoroughly recommend this program to anyone suffering from memory loss, cognitive impairment or perhaps has suffered a brain injury, due to an accident. The brain can heal itself if exposed to the right conditions which also included nutrition, plenty of water and exercise.

By all means, try the other programs out there but Lumosity is the best for me. I will probably continue to use this for the rest of my life.

This is just a personal opinion.

“I have been using them for 6 years. 3rd update”
3/30/18
• Previous review

3RD UPDATE
This is is my third update since joining Lumosity 6 years ago. I am now in the top 99.4th Percentile for my age group 55 - 59 years. My memory, perceptual acuity, peripheral vision, reflexes and the ability to multi-task and keep focused are as good if not better than when I was at my peak in my mid 20's.

I have tried them all and also having read some of the other reviews on here from people not happy with the outcomes, I definitely disagree. You have to use this regularly like having breakfast. Our minds need food as much as our body needs water and nutrients. Lumosity challenges you and the other big difference I have found, particularly for my age, is that I am not tired in the afternoon or weary minded by nightfall. Everyday I strengthen and re-enforce the critical pathways to help neuron transmission.

15 minutes is the minimum and daily use is recommended. Just like reading the newspaper. Take your time and help yourself for your eventual senior years. I dont want to get Alzheimers or Dementia. I am grateful for Lumosity.

2ND UPDATE

I have been a member for 5 years at the time of this writing. (see previous review underneath) I have been using the program almost every day. I spend no more than 10 - 15 minutes. (you have to exercise the mind, same as you drink water). It is definitely not a rip off. People get lazy if they don't see results straight away and then give up. For me, at 57, I have seen improvements in my peripheral vision, my mind reflexes are faster. I can calculate quicker. I am retaining good word knowledge and feel bright during the day after using it. They didn't pay me to say this. It is fact!

1ST REVIEW

(I have been using them for 3 years. I am 55 years old and found their site fantastic and has helped my brain performance incredibly. I paid monthly for 1st 2 years, now pay yearly. It fits my budget and quite affordable; have never been ripped off. Their service contact can be a little slow but they do have over 500K users.

I have tried other sites, paid and non-paid; for the moment Lumosity has my confidence.)

jeanec2
3/28/18

So, after three years of having fun playing games on this site, I realized I didn't need the family package anymore because I was the only one using it. So, after my time was up, I went to renew on a smaller scale. Unfortunately, at first, I was not given the opportunity to renew anything but my family package. I went all over the site to try to find a back door to do this. Not until I went off line and returned to play a game before my last day was over did they finally offer me other options. Not a nice way to play, Lumosity, nor to treat a returning customer. Now I won't be one.

rickn47
3/22/18

I have about 10 recurring memberships and have never had a problem with any of them EXCEPT Lumosity. They are purposely misleading and I had a difficult time getting refunded. More importantly, this company is peddling quack science that preys on the anxieties of aging people who fear losing their cognitive abilities. Lumosity was sued by the FTC for $2 million dollars for making false claims. These people are scumbag CHARLATANS! They love to talk about how much their product is used in peer reviewed research, but the fact is, peer review research mostly concludes that brain games don't work. Lumosity simply refers to the few outliers who suggest, inconclusively, they might work. Also, the scientific community is highly suspicious of the irresponsible claims made by the brain game industry. Take a look at what the Stanford Center on Longevity says: http://longevity3.stanford.edu/blog/2014/10/15/the-consensus-on-the-brain-training-industry-from-the-scientific-community-2/

jane4646
3/20/18

Lumosity has an automatic renew policy and don't let you know about the reoccurring charge! They are shameful and out of integrity.

javariaa
2/23/18

I took a yearly subscription, thinking i would get access to 60+ games (that's a bait). After paying subscription, I found out there were 4-5 games (under each main section). Where all the 60+ games are hidden, I couldn't know ??. So I regretted paying 59 $ for those similar type of games, i had been playing before on free access, hence claimed my money back.
Overall, some games are really fun but for a daily mental exercise (at that hefty amount), not a good deal !. Only if they enhance the numbers of games or reduce the charges !

pauls504
1/9/18

I signed up in October/17 for family plan so my wife & I could compete with one another. She became sick & unable to play so when I had the time (wasn't playing as was at hospital) I contacted them about some relief or refund. James responded by saying ( I paraphrase) "Tough Luck we are going to stick it to you" so No Refund. We are seniors on pension but this outfit won't compromise 1 little bit. Wasn't looking for full refund just some consideration for our circumstances. Don't get sucked in...their games are repetitive & support is minimal.

edwardc113
1/8/18

I have not used or have signed up for Luminosity for over three years but they were able to track down my credit card information through PayPal so they could charge me for a membership that I don't want, nor have authorized. To bad they are so desperate for money they have to use these sneaky tactics.

josephinem25
12/9/17

Study after study have been unable to prove mental improvement as result of playing electronic games. Lumosity claims differently. As much as I would like to believe them, I find their billing deceptive. I signed up during Cyber Monday, and they kept sending better and better offers, without making it clear that each offer is not independent, but added to the previous charges.
If their billing is misleading, how can one trust their claims?
That being said, their train game is both addictive and fun, for which I added one star to my rating.

robyng16
11/13/17

Before signing up I checked the research to see whether I could expect some cognitive improvements or stave off decrements. It was clear there is no science to suggest any gains but I joined because the games are fun. There are lots of games of all types, but if you play any of them often you find the same puzzles and sequences cropping up - they definitely need more. Make sure you turn off the automatic renewal immediately after you join and pay your first subscription.

kalliopif
11/11/17

Lumosity RENEWED MY SUBSCRIPTION WITHOUT MY CONSENT. WHEN I REQUESTED A REFUND THEY GAVE ME $59.95 instead of the $69.88 !!! In the mean time my Bank of America charged me $35.00 for an overdraft fee. At the moments I live abroad tending to my elderly parents 88 and 89 years old - a mother with dementia and now Lumosity put me in a situation to call from overseas and pay crazy phone charges because when youre abroad you cannot use toll free numbers. It just doesnt work!!!!
So. NO!!! Do NOT USE LUMOSITY!! EVER!!!!

krissyf3
10/31/17

The games are ok and while I do see progress, It's hard to justify such a price for a game I play for minutes each day. Every year, during renewal time, I find myself trying to justify the price to my husband and he's right... my reasons are not great. Recently I saw lifetime membership for $188... I thought, yeah I guess I'd pay $188 for life... turns out I had to pay the $119 first then $188 (it was confusing)... so it's roughly $300 for a lifetime subscription... honestly, that is ridiculous. I'm a teacher and I am used to curriculum fees even in light of this...the price is steep. I'll probably go with my husband's suggestion and just cancel, he said there are several other apps out there with similar concepts but cost less...It's frustrating though... I think it's a great idea and I'm just getting used to the games...

jessk33
10/12/17

When I signed up for 1 year, they automatically signed me up for auto-renew. Auto-renew should be an opt-in only process. There is no notification that they are going to charge you, or that your subscription is renewing. An email with a one-week notice of a renewal fee would be more ethical of them.

michaelw375
9/17/17

I hope my refund comes quickly. I think I used the site just a handful of times over the past year... they have gotten enough of my money.

sheilaf19
8/16/17

It's an 'ok' game thing - but definitely not worth a monthly fee.

If it was a $1 to $5 one-time payment that would be ok . . . who pays a monthly fee to play a phone game for 5 minutes a day? The only increase in brain activity you should have dear gamer, is to understand that.

There are a lot of free, fun games out there that are mentally challenging, and some great ones for ONE PAYMEMT of $2.99 or less.

Also - did'ja ever notice how a lot of reviews mention the same negative experience? I see a whole lot of reviews mentioning problems with the payment, & not getting the game, or the game not working properly & little or no tech support. . .

The game asked me to review - and on that review forum I saw many of the same issues mentioned. here by those who embarked on monthly or yearly payments.

Also saw a lot of comments about how boring the repetitive free game is, & the inability to even replay some of those.

I found it weird that I could replay some of the games & improve my final score, even if I missed 1 or 2 more than on a previous score. I think the game does this to falsely build your ego - makes you think you're smarter - if your 'smarter' then by a sort of psychological-innuendo you should be getting bored with the 'easy' free version & be psyched (& apparently hypnotized) to pay not only for the game, but continually pay for it monthly . . .

On that same review forum, after several of the same poor reviews, there was an extreme rash of one word-praise reviews, or no comments, just 5 stars, making it pretty obvious everyone & their cousin affiliated with Lumosity glommed-on to boost ratings.

So herein is wisdom, if you wish to increase your apptitude, heed these warnings so many have shared, and research other interesting, challenging that aren't tryin' to scam ya.

lagatitag
7/12/17

BUYER BEWARE!! I signed up for Lumosity a month ago. It's quite pricey when compared to other "games" so I wanted to try it out before I committed to a yearly (or longer) membership. I opted for the monthly payment and my account was debited immediately for the monthly membership amount. However, I was never allowed to access any of the games, other than the freebies, due to not being a "premium" member. I sent an email to customer service regarding the issue but they did not respond. But today they attempted to debit my bank account for another payment on a premium membership I don't have. RIP-OFF!!!!

dianac75
7/8/17

Is trying to deal with luminosity customer service a brain training exercise?
THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION IS NOT CHEAP, but their customer service shows absolutely no respect for customers purchase of their product. Very shabby way to treat your customers.

jh598
6/29/17

The games might be helpful for some. So it gets 1 star. But the trouble one must go thru to remove aut0-renew or remove an account is insanity. NO ONE ever calls back from customer service. I've only ever gotten an answering service, not a person. It's a smack in the face of people who may actually have memory issues, because it seems they are banking (literally) on people forgetting they are paying for this account, even if they're no longer able to use it. If users have to google how to remove an account: they should re-think their customer service. I will never use any this pay-for service or recommend it to memory-care clients/families.

terria25
6/22/17

When I initially started with Lumosity about 5 months ago, I routinely received my games before 8:30 AM each day. I prefer to play my games earlier in the day, but take today for example, it's almost noon and no games yet. The fact that if I miss playing the games that day, I lose that opportunity completely, does not seem fair particularly when the company doesn't seem to be execute on a routine basis. The company also left a really bad taste in my mouth when they sent out an email after Trump was elected, asking all members to contribute money to help overturn the election. I didn't pay for political commentary, just a few enjoyable games that may or may not make my brain work better. I doubt that I will renew next year. The games aren't worth the aggravation.

rppdoffb
3/26/17

Signed up, didn't notice the policy stating that regardless of when a use may cancelled you will not receive a refund if it has been over 30 days. So if you cancel and there is 6 months of credit on your account, you don't get a refund. You are just up a creek. They push for the longer subscriptions and make them more affordable because if you cancel they just get to keep your money according to their policy. I think some agency should look into this issue. It was not readily apparent, they keep your money when you receive no goods or services and it should be illegal. Horrible customer service when attempting to resolve the issue. Don't sign up and warn your friend and family as well.

natek6
3/7/17

I had signed up for a two year subscription to Lumosity on March of 2015. Unknowingly the account was set up on auto-renewal for every two years so I was a little shocked when there was a charge on bank statement for the two year price. After very little digging I came up with a page www.lumosity.com/charge where I was able to ask for a refund of this charge. Literally by the time I had filled out the form the refund was back in my account. I'd never seen any company handle refunds that fast. Not only that but while I did have the account open I found great benefits from the training. The games were fun to play yet challenging enough that I could tell they were beneficial. Thanks for the great experience, I will be a customer again!

There is a free trial, but it is not indicative of the whole site. As with Brian S I can only underline what he says, and keep right away from it. Lumosity is actually run by Google, and I think it's more a case of information gathering dressed up as an online fit brain exercise programme.

By Caroline M.

Yes and yes!

By Kalle H.

It has helped me remember phone number, people's names, gaming recal and password recall. It has improved my ability to focus, task change and use peripheral vision and direction. Hope this answers your question.

By Judith S.

It is neither good or bad. Your intention for using it and frequency of practice determine if it will help you in a positive way. Some people will not be very challenged because their mental function is already very high. But for those who are having cognitive challenges it can be a huge help. I have read many articles that show that improving memory, task handling. Etc. help people who are starting to decline. You can do a web search for info. But for me the best proof has been in improvement of my mental functions post chemo.

By Judith S.

Luminosity and other brain-training games claim to be able to. I just prefer not having to be lied to when signing up for their subscription. They said on the subscription page that the payment would be taken out of my bank account on a recurring basis of $3-4/month only to discover the next day that they had taken out the gull amount! Not very ethical business practices, IMO.

By Janise R.

Unfortunately, Steven M. Is right.Their "Customer Service" is abysmal. I empathize with anyone who is stuck with Lumosity and their fraudulent business practices and bogus mind exercises.

By Mary B.

Notify your card holder. Give them the proof showing that you notified Luminosity to close account.

By melinda s.

Go to your profile setting and follow the links to where your bank information is or call them,I think the number is under contact us.I use to have mine on auto and had no problem getting them to remove it by calling them.

By Darla L.

Are you using a computer or the app? With all the memory games to practice why did you get so hung up on that one? Any number of things from the server, type of product or program you are using with the games can cause a problem bu oersonally after playing them all many, many time I think Lumosity does a good job. Mine worked much better on my iPad after I downloaded the app. Might you want to try other games?

By Judith S.

Questions? Get answers from the Lumosity staff and other customers.

Lumosity?