Review of Lumosity

Tel: 1465486019554
info@lumosity.com

pauls504
1/9/18

I signed up in October/17 for family plan so my wife & I could compete with one another. She became sick & unable to play so when I had the time (wasn't playing as was at hospital) I contacted them about some relief or refund. James responded by saying ( I paraphrase) "Tough Luck we are going to stick it to you" so No Refund. We are seniors on pension but this outfit won't compromise 1 little bit. Wasn't looking for full refund just some consideration for our circumstances. Don't get sucked in...their games are repetitive & support is minimal.

edwardc113
1/8/18

I have not used or have signed up for Luminosity for over three years but they were able to track down my credit card information through PayPal so they could charge me for a membership that I don't want, nor have authorized. To bad they are so desperate for money they have to use these sneaky tactics.

josephinem25
12/9/17

Study after study have been unable to prove mental improvement as result of playing electronic games. Lumosity claims differently. As much as I would like to believe them, I find their billing deceptive. I signed up during Cyber Monday, and they kept sending better and better offers, without making it clear that each offer is not independent, but added to the previous charges.
If their billing is misleading, how can one trust their claims?
That being said, their train game is both addictive and fun, for which I added one star to my rating.

robyng16
11/13/17

Before signing up I checked the research to see whether I could expect some cognitive improvements or stave off decrements. It was clear there is no science to suggest any gains but I joined because the games are fun. There are lots of games of all types, but if you play any of them often you find the same puzzles and sequences cropping up - they definitely need more. Make sure you turn off the automatic renewal immediately after you join and pay your first subscription.

kalliopif
11/11/17

Lumosity RENEWED MY SUBSCRIPTION WITHOUT MY CONSENT. WHEN I REQUESTED A REFUND THEY GAVE ME $59.95 instead of the $69.88 !!! In the mean time my Bank of America charged me $35.00 for an overdraft fee. At the moments I live abroad tending to my elderly parents 88 and 89 years old - a mother with dementia and now Lumosity put me in a situation to call from overseas and pay crazy phone charges because when youre abroad you cannot use toll free numbers. It just doesnt work!!!!
So. NO!!! Do NOT USE LUMOSITY!! EVER!!!!

krissyf3
10/31/17

The games are ok and while I do see progress, It's hard to justify such a price for a game I play for minutes each day. Every year, during renewal time, I find myself trying to justify the price to my husband and he's right... my reasons are not great. Recently I saw lifetime membership for $188... I thought, yeah I guess I'd pay $188 for life... turns out I had to pay the $119 first then $188 (it was confusing)... so it's roughly $300 for a lifetime subscription... honestly, that is ridiculous. I'm a teacher and I am used to curriculum fees even in light of this...the price is steep. I'll probably go with my husband's suggestion and just cancel, he said there are several other apps out there with similar concepts but cost less...It's frustrating though... I think it's a great idea and I'm just getting used to the games...

jessk33
10/12/17

When I signed up for 1 year, they automatically signed me up for auto-renew. Auto-renew should be an opt-in only process. There is no notification that they are going to charge you, or that your subscription is renewing. An email with a one-week notice of a renewal fee would be more ethical of them.

michaelw375
9/17/17

I hope my refund comes quickly. I think I used the site just a handful of times over the past year... they have gotten enough of my money.

sheilaf19
8/16/17

It's an 'ok' game thing - but definitely not worth a monthly fee.

If it was a $1 to $5 one-time payment that would be ok . . . who pays a monthly fee to play a phone game for 5 minutes a day? The only increase in brain activity you should have dear gamer, is to understand that.

There are a lot of free, fun games out there that are mentally challenging, and some great ones for ONE PAYMEMT of $2.99 or less.

Also - did'ja ever notice how a lot of reviews mention the same negative experience? I see a whole lot of reviews mentioning problems with the payment, & not getting the game, or the game not working properly & little or no tech support. . .

The game asked me to review - and on that review forum I saw many of the same issues mentioned. here by those who embarked on monthly or yearly payments.

Also saw a lot of comments about how boring the repetitive free game is, & the inability to even replay some of those.

I found it weird that I could replay some of the games & improve my final score, even if I missed 1 or 2 more than on a previous score. I think the game does this to falsely build your ego - makes you think you're smarter - if your 'smarter' then by a sort of psychological-innuendo you should be getting bored with the 'easy' free version & be psyched (& apparently hypnotized) to pay not only for the game, but continually pay for it monthly . . .

On that same review forum, after several of the same poor reviews, there was an extreme rash of one word-praise reviews, or no comments, just 5 stars, making it pretty obvious everyone & their cousin affiliated with Lumosity glommed-on to boost ratings.

So herein is wisdom, if you wish to increase your apptitude, heed these warnings so many have shared, and research other interesting, challenging that aren't tryin' to scam ya.

lagatitag
7/12/17

BUYER BEWARE!! I signed up for Lumosity a month ago. It's quite pricey when compared to other "games" so I wanted to try it out before I committed to a yearly (or longer) membership. I opted for the monthly payment and my account was debited immediately for the monthly membership amount. However, I was never allowed to access any of the games, other than the freebies, due to not being a "premium" member. I sent an email to customer service regarding the issue but they did not respond. But today they attempted to debit my bank account for another payment on a premium membership I don't have. RIP-OFF!!!!

dianac75
7/8/17

Is trying to deal with luminosity customer service a brain training exercise?
THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION IS NOT CHEAP, but their customer service shows absolutely no respect for customers purchase of their product. Very shabby way to treat your customers.

jh598
6/29/17

The games might be helpful for some. So it gets 1 star. But the trouble one must go thru to remove aut0-renew or remove an account is insanity. NO ONE ever calls back from customer service. I've only ever gotten an answering service, not a person. It's a smack in the face of people who may actually have memory issues, because it seems they are banking (literally) on people forgetting they are paying for this account, even if they're no longer able to use it. If users have to google how to remove an account: they should re-think their customer service. I will never use any this pay-for service or recommend it to memory-care clients/families.

terria25
6/22/17

When I initially started with Lumosity about 5 months ago, I routinely received my games before 8:30 AM each day. I prefer to play my games earlier in the day, but take today for example, it's almost noon and no games yet. The fact that if I miss playing the games that day, I lose that opportunity completely, does not seem fair particularly when the company doesn't seem to be execute on a routine basis. The company also left a really bad taste in my mouth when they sent out an email after Trump was elected, asking all members to contribute money to help overturn the election. I didn't pay for political commentary, just a few enjoyable games that may or may not make my brain work better. I doubt that I will renew next year. The games aren't worth the aggravation.

rppdoffb
3/26/17

Signed up, didn't notice the policy stating that regardless of when a use may cancelled you will not receive a refund if it has been over 30 days. So if you cancel and there is 6 months of credit on your account, you don't get a refund. You are just up a creek. They push for the longer subscriptions and make them more affordable because if you cancel they just get to keep your money according to their policy. I think some agency should look into this issue. It was not readily apparent, they keep your money when you receive no goods or services and it should be illegal. Horrible customer service when attempting to resolve the issue. Don't sign up and warn your friend and family as well.

natek6
3/7/17

I had signed up for a two year subscription to Lumosity on March of 2015. Unknowingly the account was set up on auto-renewal for every two years so I was a little shocked when there was a charge on bank statement for the two year price. After very little digging I came up with a page www.lumosity.com/charge where I was able to ask for a refund of this charge. Literally by the time I had filled out the form the refund was back in my account. I'd never seen any company handle refunds that fast. Not only that but while I did have the account open I found great benefits from the training. The games were fun to play yet challenging enough that I could tell they were beneficial. Thanks for the great experience, I will be a customer again!

matthewn35
3/5/17

bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad badbad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

erikd18
2/12/17

I loved Lumosity and subscribed for 2 annual subscriptions in the past. I recently renewed my subscription through iTunes not thinking about any "terms & conditions" difference between doing it through the browser or otherwise. I had fun and quickly decided I wanted to upgrade to a Family Subscription. Lumosity's "Family Subscription" links took me to my account page where there was clearly no option to upgrade. After digging I found a page indicating that if I signed up through iTunes I should send an email if I want to upgrade. So, I sent an email and I was coldly told that no upgrade was possible if I signed up through iTunes and "Ashley" advised that I should disable auto-renew and just wait till my current subscription expires. Then I can upgrade to the family plan. Well, thanks to all the Lumosity training my brain is working well enough to know that it is a very stupid suggestion to wait 12 months for my subscription to expire to add the rest of my family because Lumosity's management doesn't have the flexibility to accommodate a long-term customer who renewed under the wrong platform and wants to upgrade and buy more from the company. The crass answer from the "help desk" left such a bad taste in my mouth I just want to drop the whole thing. If I had just signed up through a browser or Google Play, I could just cancel within 30 days and get my money back. Or, if I had just gone with the monthly plan... no problem. But, a good customer ready to pay a year up front, and then even more to include the rest of his family... F$#@ You!!

Tip for consumers: So, after writing my original review, a different representative followed up with me and worked out my problem. I wish I didn't have to go through this issue with iTunes, but I really have to give Lumosity credit that once I got through to a person that cared, my whole issue was indeed worked out.

dees69
1/13/17

Its been a couple of years since i last tried luminosity and nothing has changed only 50 games after these many years in business they should have hundreds of games. Their ratings as to how well you are doing is flawed and a marketing ploy. Not worth the monthly membership.

deannah20
1/12/17

I really enjoy the challenges and the games are FUN I play this stuff everyday and I like creativity very exciting.

bobb1123
12/6/16

I liked the brain exercises and used for a long time. Eventually stopped though. Saw bill on credit card last year for recurring subscription. Called Lumosity and miraculously spoke to a real person. They refused to remove the charge, but said the would take me off recurring billing. Fast forward one year and they have charged me again. Now, it is impossible to get a real person on the line to discuss this. Working through credit card company to reverse the charge. Despite what I think is a good product, this is a criminal operation and it should be prosecuted accordingly.

lc77
8/21/16

Lumosity has a bizarre refund payment policy and will NOT provide any refund for purchases made through the App Store !

My husband & I both subscribed (by mistake) and they won't refund one of the payments.

Crazy !

carlaxeld
Carl-Axel D.
8/10/16

Fun interactive games, much better than alternatives

Excellent customer support!

kayriem
8/2/16

I play it and my step daughters love to grab my phone just to play it. This is very useful to see how fast you brain can think. Ots great and im planning on doing a project on it.

jrr8
6/28/16

I am frustrated because I activated my account on a long sleepless night where I was looking for something to do with myself. I would not start Luminosity at a time when you are sleep deprived, tired otherwise, not at your best, etc.; rather do it when you are fresh and ready to do your best. If you take the initial baseline test and are subpar for yourself, bad news. They will not facilitate you starting over again. They will act like it is almost impossible to do. Starting again is thus cumbersome at best and they will act like it screws everything up. NO it does not....I think it is overall pretty good, but cust. service not so good....

kirsteny
6/24/16

This company has terrible customer service and the auto renewal is deceptive and a predatory practice especially since many MDs, OTs and PTs are recommending this particular service to people with traumatic brain injuries.

I never received an email saying my account was due for renewal or for auto-billing. I haven't used it in the last year and Lumosity refuses to give me a refund for the $99. Moreover, they didn't even offer a prorated refund for the remainder of the year. Worse than this, I haven't used this in over a year so I'm really owed 1.5 years of refund if this was a legitimate customer satisfaction-guaranteed business.

Lumosity also refused to answer their 800# as listed when my credit card company called them about my disputed charge.

I would not do business with this company ever again. If the science is decent it shouldn't depend on unscrupulous and deceptive business practices.

There is a free trial, but it is not indicative of the whole site. As with Brian S I can only underline what he says, and keep right away from it. Lumosity is actually run by Google, and I think it's more a case of information gathering dressed up as an online fit brain exercise programme.

By Caroline M.

Yes and yes!

By Kalle H.

It has helped me remember phone number, people's names, gaming recal and password recall. It has improved my ability to focus, task change and use peripheral vision and direction. Hope this answers your question.

By Judith S.

It is neither good or bad. Your intention for using it and frequency of practice determine if it will help you in a positive way. Some people will not be very challenged because their mental function is already very high. But for those who are having cognitive challenges it can be a huge help. I have read many articles that show that improving memory, task handling. Etc. help people who are starting to decline. You can do a web search for info. But for me the best proof has been in improvement of my mental functions post chemo.

By Judith S.

Luminosity and other brain-training games claim to be able to. I just prefer not having to be lied to when signing up for their subscription. They said on the subscription page that the payment would be taken out of my bank account on a recurring basis of $3-4/month only to discover the next day that they had taken out the gull amount! Not very ethical business practices, IMO.

By Janise R.

Unfortunately, Steven M. Is right.Their "Customer Service" is abysmal. I empathize with anyone who is stuck with Lumosity and their fraudulent business practices and bogus mind exercises.

By Mary B.

Notify your card holder. Give them the proof showing that you notified Luminosity to close account.

By melinda s.

Go to your profile setting and follow the links to where your bank information is or call them,I think the number is under contact us.I use to have mine on auto and had no problem getting them to remove it by calling them.

By Darla L.

Are you using a computer or the app? With all the memory games to practice why did you get so hung up on that one? Any number of things from the server, type of product or program you are using with the games can cause a problem bu oersonally after playing them all many, many time I think Lumosity does a good job. Mine worked much better on my iPad after I downloaded the app. Might you want to try other games?

By Judith S.

Questions? Get answers from the Lumosity staff and other customers.

Lumosity?