US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

judih8
5/2/16

I had no problems last year but this year was beyond frustrating!!!! After I finished both Federal and state I started getting e-mails that my state rejected!! So ....I click on the link provided and I can't get in. You can not call anyone and you can not send a contact unless you get in. Somehow I finally got in by the previous years info and they said I went to the wrong site! HELLO - I went to the site that was provided! Anyway I get in there and it asks for last years AGI so I have to look it up. When I come back in it kicks me out and I can not get back in AGAIN! So I send a contact me from the previous years again and the girl tells me she shows I corrected it and it went in. I told her I did not. She said I did. Guess what I am getting again? E-mails stating my state rejected. I finally said the hell with them and went to the IL state site and filed. I tried others but you can not file state anywhere else unless you are filling Federal. I am sure there will be penalties for being late now!! Awful customer service and awful website this year! BEWARE !!! I will not use them again.

jor1652
3/13/16

I tried to login & view the status of a return, by going directly to their website. The site wouldn't recognize my username/password. It was ONLY, when I went back to IRS.GOV, and used their link to FREE1040TaxReturn.com - that my username/password actually worked.

Also, your Federal Tax Return is FREE, when you go to their site via the IRS.GOV link. If you go directly to their site, you will have to pay. So, make sure that you use the link.

I sent their Customer Service a note about this, asking if they could place some message on their website login area, to reflect this possible login issue. Hopefully, they will fix the issue, so that other people can quickly access what they need.

dougm61
3/8/16

I got $85 more Federal refund and $68 more state refund using TaxAct due to Free1040TaxReturn not correctly including my HSA contribution on form 8889 and myhealth insurance premiums on the state tax form, respectively. I pointed this out to them and their canned response was "Your return is accurately calculated based on your input and current tax law. Please review your entries carefully." In many cases, they simply didn't ask enough questions to accurately calculate my taxes correctly. Their software needs to fix its many gaps!

toma410
10/21/15

GOT THIS SITE FROM IRS WEBSITE. DO NOT USE. THEY GOT ALL MY INFO AND CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. THESE ARE COWARDS HIDING UNDER THE INTERNET ROCK.

deangelad
4/29/15

This company did my tax returns and both the FEDERAL and STATE were wrong. The IRS corrected my return and I corrected the state and mailed it in. This company is not right....don't do it!!!

michaels255
4/14/15

As others have correctly pointed out, this website is listed by the IRS as free and it says the word FREE on top of each page. But after you spent all that time entering your data, that's when they surprise you with a significant filing charge!

Additionally, my state return was rejected three times and they charged me to re-submit it! When you message customer service (can't call since there's no phone number), they usually respond with one condescending sentence that doesn't even answer your question, such as, "Please read the screens when you login completely and carefully."

To top it off, they told me I was getting a refund, but when my forms were finally submitted to the state, it magically changed and now I owe money. When I asked why there was such a change, they respond with, "Your return is accurately calculated based on your input and current tax law." And don't even bother to ask this website to refund their charge unless you want more snark responses.

Save yourself the aggravation do not use this site under any circumstances!

Tip for consumers: BIG MISTAKE!!

jerseyb1
4/10/15

A pure rip off. Fees are not revealed until the end, and they charge more if you wish to mail in your return. FREE 1040 TAX RETURN.COM is the website. Just one 1040A & a simple State return cost me over $90 and I owe taxes, I'm not getting a refund!!

jims136
4/7/15

Wish I would have read these reviews first because I have learned the hard wayl FRAUD, SCAM! Steal money from your account! They reject your return and then charge you 8.90 to resubmit the return. I paid the fee because I wanted it submitted. They took the money out of my account 5 times! RUN! RUN FAST! Wish I could negative stars.

mikea71
3/15/15

They charge you for an initial amount to file taxes then if rejected they charge you again for 4.95 but they dont show that they are charging you for the original 24.95 again. be careful just because they are an irs sponsored cite they are no good. 1 star.

susanl65
2/5/15

I'm currently in the middle of a rejected return for invalid reasons. They WILL NOT respond to questions and there is no way to contact them by phone. They will not cancel the return and I'm not even sure of the status so I cannot refile elsewhere. Kind of in limbo. VERY DISAPPOINTED and ready to report them to the BBB.

rhondad1
2/3/15

my 2014 federal tax was rejected by the irs, they say one of my 1099 Payer's EIN in one of two does not match irs records.I have resubmitted It two times at a cost of 4.95 each time I want have the money to pay my taxes at this rate.

jamiez3
1/31/15

I don't like the fact that your social is your "user name" and that when you type it in it isn't starred out.. I hope they encrypt the user name info in their database otherwise it is NOT pci compliant. Other than that, the software works ok, I haven't filed anything yet.

jessicaw13
11/13/14

Hi,
My name is Jessica,
I totally disagree with the complaints for the Free1040taxreturn.com website. I just recently filed my taxes for my 2011 return through Free1040taxreturn.com. I will be receiving my return no later than January 31st 2012. I logged into the website and the website immediately tells you that their is a fee for processing your return. Even though the site is called "Free1040etc." if you read the front page of the website it distinctly stated in bold letters that their is a processing fee. Thus, I created an account and I chose the Long 1040 form to process my taxes. I put my info on the electronic form, I chose e-file, and I paid with my debit care (39.95). I chose to receive a paper check in the mail. 48hrs later I logged onto IRS.gov and I entered my income tax return information and my form was accepted by the IRS and my check was scheduled to be mailed to me and received by January 31st. For those of you who got denied or had any complications from this website, maybe you entered your info wrong or chose the wrong filing form. Plus, I got WAY more money back from this site than I would have from Turbotaxes, H&Rblock, Etc.

saram5
11/13/14

WARNING: THIS IS A SCAM WEBSITE.

Like everyone else, I clicked on the company's link from the IRS website and used them to file my taxes. I cannot believe the IRS still has them listed because not only do they fail to submit taxes, but they steal sensitive information.

Right away you should put fraud alert on your credit. Make sure your computer has no spyware. Change your passwords on a safe computer and change your checking acct info and credit card info. Carefully check all of your accounts daily and warn your bank.

lorik57
10/29/14

They do not list a phone number and they do not respond to email contact requests except with a "We are looking into it". Finally after about three weeks, I got someone to answer me but I could "hear" the attitude. I was just trying to send in a 1040 EZ to the State. There was NOTHING to this return at all. It took nearly 3 weeks for me to get answer and it wasn't from them. I supposively had not marked the state but it was there when I opened the return. Then I had to pay a fee to submit the return again. Now I am waiting to see if it went through. The Einstein's on their end can't tell me. JUST USE TURBO TAX!!!!! Obviously this rinky-dink site cannot find your errors BEFORE they go in. How convenient...they can get more submission fees if you have to keep sending it back through. This site is recommended on the main IRS site, so I sent them this complaint as well.

jillk7
10/28/14

After entering everything and getting to the final step I was told the fee to file the state return was 19.95...since it was for a student and there was only a $24.00 refund due it irritated me but I went ahead to save time. AFTER I entered my credit card info it gave me an error message. I logged back in and mistakenly entered another credit card to just get it all over with..now both cards are charged and my return still says not filed....guess it wants me to enter yet another credit card! THIS PLACE IS A RIPOFF!!

lauries5
10/15/14

PLEASE READ BELOW:

FileYourTaxes: Interview-style software interface has screen after screen of long questions to answer. This quickly felt very tiring.
average1040: I'm suspicious that they force users to input their bank account information.

I READ THIS REVIEW AND THE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE TOO LATE. I JUST USED THIS SOFTWARE FIGURING IT WAS FINE AS IT WAS AN IRS RECOMMENDED SITE. I CHOSE IT AS ONE WHO WOULD ALSO DO MY STATE TAXES. HOWEVER, MY STATE TAXES WERE NOT DONE BECAUSE I INADVERTENTLY DID NOT CHECK SOME BOX. NO PROBLEM I THOUGHT BECAUSE IT SAYS IN THAT CASE, JUST LOG ON AGAIN, CLICK THE STATE, BOX, ANSWER A FEW MORE QUESTIONS, AND YOU'RE ALL SET. HOWEVER, THE FEW MORE QUESTIONS NEVER APPEARED. ALL I WOULD GET OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS THE MESSAGE, 'CONGRATULATIONS YOUR 1040 IS COMPLETE." I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM. IT TELLS YOU YOUR ANSWER WILL APPEAR TO THE 'RIGHT" BUT THERE IS NO "RIGHT" SECTION ON THE SCREEN FOR THEIR ANSWER EVEN TO APPEAR IN! AND AFTER 50 MINUTES, STILL NO ANSWER. I'M VERY WORRIED NOW, SINCE I DID GIVE THEM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER. DAMN IT ALL! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW. CHANGE MY CHECK BOOK NUMBER AS SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED I GUESS. THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE IN.

darlaw1
5/16/14

We filed. Were told to correct a number. Did. Told it didn't work all this time the money for the state return was held and now can't get it returned. No phone number. We are contacting the back.

johnm301
4/16/14

Doesn't work- I paid fo rsomething that will not work.Am not able to get my taxes
to download evenit tells me my return has been checked and ready to file online.
Thank goodness I don't owe any taxes.
Do I need to redo the taxes on someone's else's site - I still cannot get it filed?

erict29
4/11/14

Ruuuuun!!!!! IRS NEEDS TO SHUT THIS SITE DOWN!! Extremely horrible customer service. I accidentally skipped a question about my spouses information and they processed my return even with the required fields not being filled in. The state return was rejected, but the federal went through fine. The spousal information was in the federal section of the return and now I can't complete my state return because there's nowhere to put my spouses information on the state questionnaire. Contacted customer service with no response. They say 24 hour response time, but haven't responded in a week with the tax deadline approaching. Terrible experience!!!

lyndad3
4/7/14

I was charged a resubmission fee for something that was lacking in their instructions. You can't talk to a person and get responses via the site that are useless. My returns have been supposedly submitted but when I try to view them all I get are blank forms!

I'd really like to know why the IRS uses this as one of the sites to direct people to but I intend to get to the bottom of this. I am so mad!f

davidd90
4/3/14

I am amazed at the long string of negative reviews here. They are unwarranted. I used free1040taxreturn.com to file two federal returns for 2013, one on behalf of a friend and my personal return. The refund of my friend was received via direct deposit. I just filed my return on 4/1/14, not long enough ago to have received my refund. In both cases, I filed for free. So, let me address this point since many of the reviews say it's not free. First, you MUST go to free1040taxreturn.com FROM irs.gov. If you just go directly to free1040taxreturn.com, it will not be free. Assuming you go to free1040taxreturn.com the proper way, you will not be charged to file the federal return. This is true for all the free e-filing services that have an agreement with the IRS; they must be accessed by the taxpayer from irs.gov to create the account on the e-filing website and complete the tax return.

If you identify a state in which you reside and that state requires an income tax return, then free1040taxreturn.com will charge a fee for filing the state return. If you identify your state and you do not want to file your state tax return via free1040taxreturn.com, you might find that the site seems to not let you complete the filing of your federal return; it appears to insist you can't go ahead and file your federal return without paying the fee to file your state return. Here's a trick that works. When prompted to click the drop down box showing a list of states, select "None of the above", the last item on the list. Then, you will be able to file the federal return for free and not be compelled to file a state return. If you had already passed that screen and you had selected a state, go back to that screen and change the selection to "None ...” Of course, if you want to file your state return with them, then simply select your state and proceed.

Another comment in one of the reviews said "YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR RETURN OR EVEN VIEW WHAT YOU ENTERED!!!" Not true! You can view your tax return on the site and you can save and/or print it; it is a PDF form. Until finally completed and accepted by the IRS, the form(s) will have a watermark to indicate they are not for mailing to the IRS. Once the federal return has been electronically filed and accepted by the IRS, the completed forms will appear on the site without the watermark. Last year, I used FileYourTaxes.com and the only printout I could get after completing the entry of data was a summary sheet showing key data elements such as total income, total deductions, AGI, taxable income, etc., but no tax form could be printed. So, free1040taxreturn.com is better in this regard. In addition to viewing and/or printing forms on free1040taxreturn.com, you can always go back through the screens and review data you entered. When you sign on to a previously started session, you have the option starting where you left off or starting at the beginning and going through the screens again. The reviewer that made the comment quoted at the beginning of this paragraph obviously was not very adept at navigating the site.

halinas1
2/26/14

Like the others, we had a very bad experience with Free1040taxreturn.com. The federal income tax site was fine and there were no problems with filling out the form. The state tax site was a disaster. It kept glitching; I kept sending messages; they kept sending back what appeared to be a stock, computer-generated answer that didn't answer the question. I kept telling them there was a problem; they kept telling me it was my fault and that I wasn't reading the screen correctly. That wasn't the case. I finally thought that I would get the information I needed (whether we would get a refund or not), after I paid them. So, I paid them, they sent it off to the state and THEN I could see that the form was incorrect. We had to send in an amended form. Terrible customer service and terrible for state taxes. I will never deal with this company again.

alaynah
2/24/14

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!
I filed my return, saved a copy and waited and waited....no refund yet. So today I went back to their website to check my status and it stated that the IRS had accepted my return but no refund was due. When I viewed the form the numbers were nowhere near what I had entered and submitted and the form was a 1040EZ when I filed a 1040A. The only answer I get from customer service is "the form shows what you submitted and the system does not change information after the fact". I tried asking again and got the same answer. Looks like I will have to file an amended paper return and wait even longer. What a ripoff!!!!!

ashleyp26
2/24/14

Theee worst! I am furious with the irs for making me use them!!! Rip off! Charges a fee which changes if you refresh the page! Some paid as little as 15$ and others paid more! They claimed my fee was returned but my bank said it was reversed on their behalf! I am just disgusted with their lack of customer service!

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Free1040TaxReturn staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question