Free1040TaxReturn reviews

Reno, NV 89501, US
privacy@free1040taxreturn.com

emryb
2/2/19

I used this program for my 2018 tax return which could have been easily filed as a short form. The Federal section is easy to use (as it should be for short returns) and computed correctly. I asked that my refund be applied to next year's taxes and herein lies a software glitch. The State section (AZ) automatically applied my state refund to next year's taxes rather than giving me the option of receiving a refund - SERIOUS FLAW that the company will not acknowledge. USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

leel117
3/6/18

Read review too late. The FREE is not true. The deceptive wording leads to getting all your personal info and banking info before they nail you with "IT'S NOT FREE".
Don't believe any state is free. So because there are free sites, this one makes me wonder. All that information could be their game. Don't do it.

michaelj290
2/19/18

They are listed under the IRS website as not state restricted for free filing. They let you get all the way through the filing process and then tell you that you do not qualify for free filing.

It's an attempt to get you to go ahead and pay because you already spent time filling out the information.

Tip for consumers: Stay away, use a different site.

kevinl209
2/19/18

I have used other software programs to do taxes without a problem. I made the mistake of using this program. On State taxes it was especially awful. It didn't ask for much key information, which resulted in my owing over $600 instead of getting over $800 for a refund. When I contacted them about the problem, they gave a 1 line canned answer with no intention of fixing the problem. Federal also was wrong by over $1000. I ended up canceling my return and chose never to go with them...ever! Never seen anything this bad in my decades of doing taxes.

jackr102
4/21/17

Received a CP2000 notice from the IRS claiming I owed almost $1,000 for taxes due because Free1040TaxReturn botched up my 1040 income tax return for the year 2015.

boba75
4/20/17

Their software screwed up my return and I didn't catch it. Their customer service is non existant. I personally believe they are a hack site to steal personal information.

melissas176
2/15/17

They didn't ask enough information about my health care for 2016 and submitted the WRONG address to the IRS so I never received a very important letter from the IRS about amending the information. I'm now looking at about 2 months from the filling date before I can even get any information on my return, which I'm going to assume isn't going to be the amount the site counted.
Seriously. Don't use this sketchy site. If I could request the IRS remove it from their page I would, but we all know how helpful the IRS is.

judih8
5/2/16

I had no problems last year but this year was beyond frustrating!!!! After I finished both Federal and state I started getting e-mails that my state rejected!! So ....I click on the link provided and I can't get in. You can not call anyone and you can not send a contact unless you get in. Somehow I finally got in by the previous years info and they said I went to the wrong site! HELLO - I went to the site that was provided! Anyway I get in there and it asks for last years AGI so I have to look it up. When I come back in it kicks me out and I can not get back in AGAIN! So I send a contact me from the previous years again and the girl tells me she shows I corrected it and it went in. I told her I did not. She said I did. Guess what I am getting again? E-mails stating my state rejected. I finally said the hell with them and went to the IL state site and filed. I tried others but you can not file state anywhere else unless you are filling Federal. I am sure there will be penalties for being late now!! Awful customer service and awful website this year! BEWARE !!! I will not use them again.

jor1652
3/13/16

I tried to login & view the status of a return, by going directly to their website. The site wouldn't recognize my username/password. It was ONLY, when I went back to IRS.GOV, and used their link to FREE1040TaxReturn.com - that my username/password actually worked.

Also, your Federal Tax Return is FREE, when you go to their site via the IRS.GOV link. If you go directly to their site, you will have to pay. So, make sure that you use the link.

I sent their Customer Service a note about this, asking if they could place some message on their website login area, to reflect this possible login issue. Hopefully, they will fix the issue, so that other people can quickly access what they need.

dougm61
3/8/16

I got $85 more Federal refund and $68 more state refund using TaxAct due to Free1040TaxReturn not correctly including my HSA contribution on form 8889 and myhealth insurance premiums on the state tax form, respectively. I pointed this out to them and their canned response was "Your return is accurately calculated based on your input and current tax law. Please review your entries carefully." In many cases, they simply didn't ask enough questions to accurately calculate my taxes correctly. Their software needs to fix its many gaps!

toma410
10/21/15

GOT THIS SITE FROM IRS WEBSITE. DO NOT USE. THEY GOT ALL MY INFO AND CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD. THESE ARE COWARDS HIDING UNDER THE INTERNET ROCK.

deangelad
4/29/15

This company did my tax returns and both the FEDERAL and STATE were wrong. The IRS corrected my return and I corrected the state and mailed it in. This company is not right....don't do it!!!

michaels255
4/14/15

As others have correctly pointed out, this website is listed by the IRS as free and it says the word FREE on top of each page. But after you spent all that time entering your data, that's when they surprise you with a significant filing charge!

Additionally, my state return was rejected three times and they charged me to re-submit it! When you message customer service (can't call since there's no phone number), they usually respond with one condescending sentence that doesn't even answer your question, such as, "Please read the screens when you login completely and carefully."

To top it off, they told me I was getting a refund, but when my forms were finally submitted to the state, it magically changed and now I owe money. When I asked why there was such a change, they respond with, "Your return is accurately calculated based on your input and current tax law." And don't even bother to ask this website to refund their charge unless you want more snark responses.

Save yourself the aggravation do not use this site under any circumstances!

Tip for consumers: BIG MISTAKE!!

jerseyb1
4/10/15

A pure rip off. Fees are not revealed until the end, and they charge more if you wish to mail in your return. FREE 1040 TAX RETURN.COM is the website. Just one 1040A & a simple State return cost me over $90 and I owe taxes, I'm not getting a refund!!

jims136
4/7/15

Wish I would have read these reviews first because I have learned the hard wayl FRAUD, SCAM! Steal money from your account! They reject your return and then charge you 8.90 to resubmit the return. I paid the fee because I wanted it submitted. They took the money out of my account 5 times! RUN! RUN FAST! Wish I could negative stars.

mikea71
3/15/15

They charge you for an initial amount to file taxes then if rejected they charge you again for 4.95 but they dont show that they are charging you for the original 24.95 again. be careful just because they are an irs sponsored cite they are no good. 1 star.

susanl65
2/5/15

I'm currently in the middle of a rejected return for invalid reasons. They WILL NOT respond to questions and there is no way to contact them by phone. They will not cancel the return and I'm not even sure of the status so I cannot refile elsewhere. Kind of in limbo. VERY DISAPPOINTED and ready to report them to the BBB.

rhondad1
2/3/15

my 2014 federal tax was rejected by the irs, they say one of my 1099 Payer's EIN in one of two does not match irs records.I have resubmitted It two times at a cost of 4.95 each time I want have the money to pay my taxes at this rate.

jamiez3
1/31/15

I don't like the fact that your social is your "user name" and that when you type it in it isn't starred out.. I hope they encrypt the user name info in their database otherwise it is NOT pci compliant. Other than that, the software works ok, I haven't filed anything yet.

jessicaw13
11/13/14

Hi,
My name is Jessica,
I totally disagree with the complaints for the Free1040taxreturn.com website. I just recently filed my taxes for my 2011 return through Free1040taxreturn.com. I will be receiving my return no later than January 31st 2012. I logged into the website and the website immediately tells you that their is a fee for processing your return. Even though the site is called "Free1040etc." if you read the front page of the website it distinctly stated in bold letters that their is a processing fee. Thus, I created an account and I chose the Long 1040 form to process my taxes. I put my info on the electronic form, I chose e-file, and I paid with my debit care (39.95). I chose to receive a paper check in the mail. 48hrs later I logged onto IRS.gov and I entered my income tax return information and my form was accepted by the IRS and my check was scheduled to be mailed to me and received by January 31st. For those of you who got denied or had any complications from this website, maybe you entered your info wrong or chose the wrong filing form. Plus, I got WAY more money back from this site than I would have from Turbotaxes, H&Rblock, Etc.

saram5
11/13/14

WARNING: THIS IS A SCAM WEBSITE.

Like everyone else, I clicked on the company's link from the IRS website and used them to file my taxes. I cannot believe the IRS still has them listed because not only do they fail to submit taxes, but they steal sensitive information.

Right away you should put fraud alert on your credit. Make sure your computer has no spyware. Change your passwords on a safe computer and change your checking acct info and credit card info. Carefully check all of your accounts daily and warn your bank.

lorik118
10/29/14

They do not list a phone number and they do not respond to email contact requests except with a "We are looking into it". Finally after about three weeks, I got someone to answer me but I could "hear" the attitude. I was just trying to send in a 1040 EZ to the State. There was NOTHING to this return at all. It took nearly 3 weeks for me to get answer and it wasn't from them. I supposively had not marked the state but it was there when I opened the return. Then I had to pay a fee to submit the return again. Now I am waiting to see if it went through. The Einstein's on their end can't tell me. JUST USE TURBO TAX!!!!! Obviously this rinky-dink site cannot find your errors BEFORE they go in. How convenient...they can get more submission fees if you have to keep sending it back through. This site is recommended on the main IRS site, so I sent them this complaint as well.

jillk7
10/28/14

After entering everything and getting to the final step I was told the fee to file the state return was 19.95...since it was for a student and there was only a $24.00 refund due it irritated me but I went ahead to save time. AFTER I entered my credit card info it gave me an error message. I logged back in and mistakenly entered another credit card to just get it all over with..now both cards are charged and my return still says not filed....guess it wants me to enter yet another credit card! THIS PLACE IS A RIPOFF!!

lauries5
10/15/14

PLEASE READ BELOW:

FileYourTaxes: Interview-style software interface has screen after screen of long questions to answer. This quickly felt very tiring.
average1040: I'm suspicious that they force users to input their bank account information.

I READ THIS REVIEW AND THE REVIEWS ON THIS SITE TOO LATE. I JUST USED THIS SOFTWARE FIGURING IT WAS FINE AS IT WAS AN IRS RECOMMENDED SITE. I CHOSE IT AS ONE WHO WOULD ALSO DO MY STATE TAXES. HOWEVER, MY STATE TAXES WERE NOT DONE BECAUSE I INADVERTENTLY DID NOT CHECK SOME BOX. NO PROBLEM I THOUGHT BECAUSE IT SAYS IN THAT CASE, JUST LOG ON AGAIN, CLICK THE STATE, BOX, ANSWER A FEW MORE QUESTIONS, AND YOU'RE ALL SET. HOWEVER, THE FEW MORE QUESTIONS NEVER APPEARED. ALL I WOULD GET OVER AND OVER AGAIN IS THE MESSAGE, 'CONGRATULATIONS YOUR 1040 IS COMPLETE." I TRIED TO CONTACT THEM. IT TELLS YOU YOUR ANSWER WILL APPEAR TO THE 'RIGHT" BUT THERE IS NO "RIGHT" SECTION ON THE SCREEN FOR THEIR ANSWER EVEN TO APPEAR IN! AND AFTER 50 MINUTES, STILL NO ANSWER. I'M VERY WORRIED NOW, SINCE I DID GIVE THEM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT NUMBER. DAMN IT ALL! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW. CHANGE MY CHECK BOOK NUMBER AS SOMEONE ELSE SUGGESTED I GUESS. THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WROTE IN.

darlaw1
5/16/14

We filed. Were told to correct a number. Did. Told it didn't work all this time the money for the state return was held and now can't get it returned. No phone number. We are contacting the back.

My return was immediately submitted to the IRS upon completion online. The Free1040 website showed it submitted, and a day later the status showed accepted. I had to go through the IRS.GOV link originally to get the FREE tax filing. You can then log directly into the Free1040 site, to download the submitted tax forms for your records. Hope this helps!

By Jo R.

hopefully this will be resolved. i feel like when it comes to taxes, i would go with turbotax. wait, was this really free? it's a good thing that you've filed earlier so that you can resolve these errors before the deadline. good luck!

By T N.

Questions? Get answers from the Free1040TaxReturn staff and other customers.

2 Photos for Free1040TaxReturn