US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

artr12
8/20/16

I have used craigslist.org for many years and with pretty good success. (Since they offer the most comprehensive listings and depth of listings of any similar service). They also seem to be pretty pro-active about warning people of possible scams and they seem to be able to keep your email private with their masked system of email replies.

What I wanted to mention specifically was that when I recently listed some furniture items for sale, I got back a text within 5 minutes, almost immediately after I made the listing.

The text had my listing title with, "still up for sale?" amended to it, and when I replied, they came back with,
"okay...I'll be paying with a cashiers check and wait till it clears your bank before pickup is scheduled. Thanks Alex"

I was born at night, but not last night, and I smelled a rat. But I replied- "sure".

Then they said, "kindly send me your name and address so that I can issue out the check for you"
Needless to say I cannot imagine any buyer in their right mind willing to buy something sight unseen, and before discussing any specifics, offering to send you money. Obviously a complete scam. But the point is the crooks are becoming much more sophisticated if they can create some algorithm or software which can pick up a new listing, send off a text to respond to it with their bogus offer, and harvest names and addresses for some yet undefined but assuredly devious purpose.
Actually, I am pretty envious. I wish I was smart enough to do that. Not really. I hope they reap what they sow. We all have to look out for each other if we want a decent world.

Tip for consumers: So craigslist is still good, but watch out for the scammers.

dutchv
7/6/16

Not everything in Craigslist is the way it seems.I doubt they even vet the postings there.I received something completely different in efficiency compared to how it was marketed on craigslist.I hope my experience is not the same for others,that this was just a one-time mishap.But just be forewarned

scottp80
7/5/16

Really love Craigslist. I call it Craigs. Always find good deals, but be careful! It's easy to get caught up and get a bad item!

bridgettet3
5/19/16

Our sump pump went out, which required our carpet to be pulled up to dry everything out. We contacted The Flooring Men because they said they could re-stretch and lay our existing carpet back down. He said due to the circumstances and our situation he would come out the next day. He never showed up, we called about 5 times and he didn't answer, he didn't respond to texts. It's one thing if you can't make it and let us know, but to be so unprofessional and ignore all calls and texts, that's ridiculous! Don't use them!!!!

deed87
5/9/16

Even something as benign as an apartment for rent, a Focus Group, English tutor -- almost all "job" listings are primarily petty criminal enterprises.
The main thing they often want is your personal information. They do this all day and all night. Your personal details often go on the People Search sites - I guess some of THEM use CL as well, because my user name is on those sites.
Back in the day, 2003-2007 CL was a fantastic source of between-job revenue, temp helpers, and especially, jobs for writers and artists. Then the Pimps, Human Traffickers, drug dealers and Petty Scammers discovered it.
Use a throw-away address, or one for CL only, never answer a Survey Monkey with true personal details, especially not your name. If you have a throwaway phone, CL is the place you want to use it, trust me, for apartments and everything. We turn to CL because we all want to see something LOCAL and CL fills that vacuum, usually FREE.
If it is a company whose website, address and phone number are online, fine. Some of my temp job employers have advertised on CL, so one-star is appropriate.

thet13
4/23/16

The best of the best ! Rachel 910-216-4276 She is drop dead gorgeous. Outstanding personality and performance unparalleled- amazing. Very addictive. Don't waste your time with the fakes she is the real deal/ total package worth every bit of what she wants for her time you will always want to tip to trust and believe me when I tell you....

jonathanh64
4/16/16

great place to find things locally, I have successfully bought and sold here. But be careful! people can be dishonest and Craigslist does not guarantee anything (how could they they don't charge). treat it as if you were responding to a paper add in the newspaper or posted in a public place .

billyr25
3/6/16

ROBERT S RAU IS A UNSTABLE DEGENERATE LOSER SCUMLORD! Dealing with this moron is frustration to the highest degree. I've known 53 year old waste of life since 11/2015 and I can say I hate him. I figured him out within the 1st week. He was all giddy like a child when I showed up to the house he temporarily squats in. Robert is unstable in so many ways! He is violent, full of rage,hostile,manipulative, resentful, regretful, wants to fist fight, depressed, compulsive liar,no morals, does not care about humanity, he is UNEMPLOYABLE, he begs renters for financial help, he takes renters food, Robert stalks people at the grocery store just ask the police, Robert confessed that he was accused of forcing himself on a female! He bragged about the Situation!! He bragged about stealing from renters! Robert S RAU has been TAZED by the police in tenant dispute!! Robert should not be allowed to deal with the public!!!! ROBERT S. RAU IS A MENACE TO SOCIETY AND HE WOULD RATHER SIT UN JAIL THAN PAY HIS DEBTS! Robert is a horrible dishonest subhuman loser drunk druggie always wanting handouts from you and me. Robert cannot and will not hold a minimum wage job because he is a train wreck delusional sociopathic Schitzo nightmare!!!! Robert needs your deposit ,he does not understand his own lease agreement!!! He begs renters to put they're credit down for his garbage because Robert don't pay his bills!!!!! Robert S RAU is a loser Nightmare!!! Compulsive liar loser!!!! This is just scratching the service Good luck

sandyz5
2/12/16

I am a first time user on Craigslist. I wanted to post items for sale and it is absolutely awful! Very confusing and complicated. I absolutely hated it and I will find another avenue to sell my items. Craigslist sucks!!!

edwardc60
2/4/16

with a grain of salt (or several grains) I like craigs list - has helped me sell much stuff. However they make no effort to keep scams (esp the ones that offer ways to make money) off. many scams are obvious to the ones of us who have been around, however some are well baited - - beware

joannet12
1/25/16

We used to buy and sell items. The smaller we sold on ebay. The larger stuff on Craigslist. You hear about a lot of scams and potential problems. I would say 85% of the 100's of times we used Craigslist turned out good. The worst dealing we had was with this woman in Vallejo. We bought a Volvo from her with a fake sticker. She said she sold it for her father ..her fathers name was on title. Turns out it wasn't. We got burned. Otherwise, the transactions on Craigslist were positive.

jessw24
1/1/16

I've been using CL for what, 10 years now? I've tried online sites like Ebay and Amazon and yeah, while sometime it's just faster being able to sell something (especially something niche) to a country-wide pool of potential customers rather than just who happens to be on CL, in your local area, and actually want what you're selling, it's still much better to sell on CL and not have to deal with the shipping side (and forget anything too big).

Once you get a customer interested it's usually a fast process from there. They come over (or you deliver it if you offer that), they check it out for a few minutes, then hand you your cash. (Same if you're buying something except reversed.) Of course I've gotten plenty of bad and just plain inconsiderate people on CL but overall it's very worth it.

Not to mention all of the other services you can get on CL and live animal adoptions (I've adopted a dog, a snake, fish, and a couple rats off CL) that you just can't get on places like Ebay.

About the site itself...they've made a lot of changes to the site (not so much the look but the function) and they keep making them. I like some of the changes but to be honest most of the changes just plain suck and have me yearning for the "good old CL".

Oh, but if you live in the middle of nowhere...you're screwed. Go to Amazon.

justint42
1,591 helpful votes
12/28/15

Watch out for scammers. Never, NEVER send money to anybody using Western Union.

resat
10/26/15

Really invaluable tool. Watch out for scams though!

richl13
8/7/15

I am always hearing about don't use CraigsList because you will get ripped off. Well I have used them for over 10 years for a variety of things and I have had basically no problems. If you are buying and selling, just be careful. There are a lot of scammers but you can sniff them out a mile a way. Remember, it its to good to be true, it probably is.

arthurs29
5/7/15

craigslist.org is an evil company. If you use them to promote your business they will remove your Ad and put your account on hold for know good reason. They even allow flagging your Ad which usually comes from the criminals who scam people and your Ad gets REMOVED. They do nothing about the real theifs who hack their system and you will see like ten ads posted in the same city only hours appart.

sw365
4/3/15

Free ads, mostly nice people, you must stay in control of the transaction.If you must ship something Use U.S.postal money orders only.cash and ship at same time.IF you cant talk to the buyer or seller STAY AWAY.Love it.

robertd110
3/6/15

This is the best website. I think this is the most popular website for all category. I use craigslist many time. But now a days many people are scam here.

whate3
2/12/15

Outright irresponsible, unethical and borderline illegal site.

If you're a crook and looking to conduct illegal activities, and fear nothing from the site management because they are too unethical to give a damn, this site is for you.

If you are an honest person who actually follows the TOS, you are wasting your time.

They really should bring charges against the management of this company.

brianc17
2/9/15

When using this site familiarize yourself and follow the guidelines posted here to avoid scams. http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

josef148
1/5/15

worst website ever, can't even speak with an actual person to resolve my problems. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

hopem3
12/8/14

The Place at 117 in Savoy, IL has TERRIBLE business practices with no regard for financial status changes in individuals lives. Do not rent from them if there is any chance you won't be able to come up with $7000-8000 on the spot to give their greedy faces for rent. If you lose your job they WILL NOT work with you to come to an agreement about getting out of the lease. Plus, your apartment will probably flood, they'll stick you in a storage unit for 2 weeks until you finally are told to return where you find mold all over the place. This is my experience. STAY AWAY!!!

pauln42
11/26/14

Great work, usually use this site. Here you'll find anything you want! Well, sometimes on dating you'll see a lot of nude pics. Not, I lie, you'll see them always. But if you're searching something else - site will help you
So I think it's cool

tabithah1
10/10/14

I usually surf this site 1-2 times a week just to see what's out there. At 1 time I furnished my whole 1st apartment from here. Now I own a home so they really come in handy now.

I got a Vizio 52 inch flat screen tv for $300, you cant beat that at Walmart. It's just a great place to find stuff, even free stuff like hangers, desk and stuff like that.

Tip for consumers: Never take the 1st price. Seller are typically always willing to negotiate.

vancec10
9/30/14

craigslist is helpful site but there are spammer are lots.So i use craigslist little.But many people like craigslist so much.

Tip for consumers: little love