Review of Agoda

Tel: +44 20 3027 7900
agipllc@agoda.com

lindsayl19
7/22/17

We planned a trip to Amsterdam a couple months in advance. Booked through Agoda and had an issue with my card because it expired in the two months. I received an email to update payment, followed the links and directions and thought all was fine and good to go. Leave for Europe and have limited internet access. After a week we go to Amsterdam to settle in to our hotel booked through agoda. It was not reserved. The hotel had me call agoda and they said the reservation had been cancelled. I did not cancel. I check my email and find agoda emailed me 2 days before my stay and said if my card wasn't re-entered within 24 hours my stay would be cancelled. Another email the day before says it was cancelled. There was nothing we could do without email access..so we had no where to stay. Luckily my husband found a place last minute across town. What a mess!

If you use this company, stay on top of your email and don't trust that things will be fine. I will never use them and would not recommend to others.

gitsys
7/15/17

Guaranteed a rate on the confirmation they sent us and now we may have to
pay an additional $11+. They refuse to cooperate, Not their fault. they say Cheats and scam
company Email responses are a joke Stay away from them

carolinep26
6/28/17

I booked a room for 4 May 23rd to 28th. We had a 14 hours drive to Manhattan. When we got there (Midnight), the receptionnist at the hotel told me they double booked us and that they could'nt accomodate us because they were full. Also, they mentionned they informed Agoda about it, but no e-mail was sent to us.
I called Agoda to learn theywould reimburse me for the whole stay and they would payone day extra for inconvience to me. I asked them to find me a place to stay for one night instead of giving me this compensation and they refused.
It was in the middle of the night. Although the agent was polite and nice, Agoda couldn't care less about the fact I did not have a place to sleep. I had to call around myself to finally find a room (3 o'clock in the morning) that cost me almost 700 $ CAD for few hours sleep (400 $ more than planned) because all afordable hotels were booked.

mohammedn13
6/27/17

I have booked tickets for hotel in madinah for 2 days from April 22-24 in Bhasporous hotel , Madinah , saudi arabia .

Suddenly on 21st night i have recived e mail stating my booking has been canceled due to unavailablity and they will pay me for 3 days that is one day extra for inconvience . I was wondering since i have booked the rooms on 16th that is almost a week before , even my card was charged at the same day . There was no customer care number , i emailed them that this is not acceptable but it doesent matter since they already canceled it .

After couple of emails , i have recieved my money after 10 days with the same amount what i paid .

I would never prefer this kind of useless service since i had big problem during my visit to madinah because of hotel cancelation on such a short notice .

Mohammed Naser
Maakkah , saudi arabia

erikf23
6/23/17

Agoda is operating a scam with local hotels to profiteer off of predatory and unregulated cancellations fees. The way it works is this: the hotel tells you one thing, Agoda tells you another, they both blame each other, and you are stuck with unfair charges. Agoda provides a customer service "front" that seems to only repeat the same information over and over and is ultimately unable to help their customers. Beware using a site like this - if something goes wrong you are screwed. I am being forced to pay $625 for a reservation that I never used and that I tried to change more than 72 hours before check in. Completely unfair. Agoda will not help me.

jojoj7
6/13/17

the Agoda website advertise "pay at the hotel", we choose the higher rate for pay at hotel. then found out we've charged 4 months before we arrived the hotel. When I question who authorise the charge on my credit card, they reply there was an error, but nothing they can do about it... Can you trust to leave your credit card details with such a website?!?! This put a very stressful financial situation on us before we are heading to the holiday. If the start can go negative, I would put -5 for this website.

stanleys48
6/13/17

Firstly tried to book in a week ago I refused the room they offered because was not the room I booked then they said give me refund so I went to another hotel came back two days later they offered the same room I picked before for two nights then offered the third night on the room I should of had refund for bit never got I booked three nights with private balcony now they want to move me to room shared balcony cause they have renovations going on not my fault that's there problem very rude wouldn't stay here again be very careful low season in thailand lots of hotels renevate from may to november october but they don't tell you that on website before in low season the price of hotels used to go down not anymore alot go up in price so be careful

everettm21
6/9/17

Photos not representative of actual condition if hotels in site. New rewards program is fraudulent especially since after booking they tell you you did not qualify for rewards booking.
Best to use direct hotel sites and they are usually less expensive than this fraudulent website.

justinh113
6/2/17

BE AWARE, agoda started a new reward programs, not all your booking will collect points.
I spent USD3000 on my booking and no reward point.
WORST TRAVEL SITE EVER.

amae4
5/29/17

Terrible experience with this company. They took my $6000 fir a six night stay in Dubai. They agreed to change the room ad caked me to cancel the booking free of charge and re book the type of room I wanted. I gave them the new booking number. Later I received an email saying that I need to pay for the new room, meanwhile they already have $6000 for my old booking. I must have emailed them about 40 times to clarify the issue. Right now, I don't even know if I have a booking or not, and I'm out $6000 . That's Agoda for you. Very useless, wretched company. If I could give them minus 5, I would.

johnb886
5/29/17

On 26th April I booked through Agoda an en-suite double room with breakfast for my wife and myself for two nights (26-28th May) at the Swan in Bradford-on-Avon. Agoda took £288.00 from my credit card and e-mailed me on 26th April to say that your booking is confirmed and complete.
On 4th May I received phone calls from Agoda-one from Singapore! I also received an e-mail from Agoda which states that: We are sorry to inform you that your hotel [the Swan] has advised us that they are unable to accommodate your booking as they are already fully booked. As such, we would like to offer you an alternative hotel at no additional cost. They offered Lynchetts Bed and Breakfast but added that this new hotel is subject to availability. Alternatively, I could cancel my booking, they would refund the money I had paid and as a gesture of goodwill would like to provide me with an additional refund of USD36.96 to compensate me for the inconveniences caused.
I had little choice at this stage other than to accept, blindfold, the alternative accommodation as I was booked for a 2-day workshop at the Wiltshire Music Centre.
Later that day (4th May) I was informed that the alternative accommodation was less expensive than the Swan (£190 instead of £288) and that I would receive a refund. This I received.
Also on 4th May I received an e-mail from Agoda asking me to kindly contact Lynchetts Bed and Breakfast and provide them with your estimated time of arrival. An unusual request. However, I phoned the owner to say that I expected to arrive around 2pm but that I would phone her the day before our planned arrival to give her a more precise time.
I therefore telephoned her on 25th May. To my utter disbelief she was not expecting my call and had taken a booking for my room. She explained that the Swan was supposed to have contacted her and given her the money she was due. Not having heard from the Swan and having received no money from them she had assumed that we had dropped the booking. She said she would sort something out for us and ring back later. She was as good as her word. She freed up the room that was originally planned for us.
In the end we enjoyed two pleasant nights in Lynchetts- a grade II listed Georgian house with a large beautiful garden. This we can strongly recommend.
As for Agoda I will never use their services again. They showed an incompetence that put the whole of our weekend at risk as well as using enormous amounts of my nervous energy. If you are going to book a hotel through them, good luck.
As for the Swan I have had no direct contact with them. Overbooking on planes and in hotels is just not acceptable. They have treated our booking with benign neglect and showed a passivity that is Fawltyesque. If you book a room there I hope you dont find other people already sleeping in your beds.

opav
5/26/17

I booked a villa in Maldives for 3 nights (USD 2,796.27) with Agoda about 2 months ago and I received the email indicating the charged amount of USD 2796 on May 24.

For fair practice code, Agoda should had charged the THB equivalent of USD 2,796.27 on the pay date of May 24, 2017.  The exchange rate on May 24 is 1 USD = 34.44 baht so it should be THB 96,303.5388 BUT my credit account limit has been deducted with THB 101,094.39 (THB 4790 over !!! with the exchange rate of 36.15 THB/USD). When I contacted Agoda local on May 24, the staff told me that the amount will be amended to THB 96,783.54. That is fine with me, actually I want to be charged with the exchanged rate on May 24, no matter the rate increases or reduces. On May 25, my credit limit is still the same, no amendment, so I contacted Agoda again, the local staff responded that the amount charged will be amended in a few days. In this regards,

1) I am not sure how much in THB will be charged at my account as well as the actual charged date; as the exchange rate varies day to day, in fact, Agoda should use the exchange rate of the pay date indicated in the confirmation mail (May 24);

2) from my case, it seems that Agoda intends to make profit from exchange rate;

3) If luckily Agoda amends the charged amount 1 week after May 24, still  the customer will lose the amount in his/her credit limit for 1 week.

I am not happy with this practice; as I still don't know the exact date and amount in THB that will be actually charged at my credit account.

crs4
5/22/17

I used Agoda to book a hotel in South Africa. The price was good, but was a little put off when, for "verification purposes" they requested I submit a copy of my credit card and my ID through their secure link. Nonetheless I did so and received a confirmation of my reservation. Approx. 3 weeks later, I received 2 more emails asking that I submit the exact same materials through their secure link. I called them to ensure that my reservation was in fact confirmed and that it was a mistake that I received additional emails asking for the same materials previously provided by me. I was told by the customer service agent that he would look into it and get back to me within 30 minutes. He did not. 24 hours later I called again. I was told the same thing -- the customer service rep would call me back, He did not. In the interim I was also communicating with Agoda by email to their "fraud prevention" department. I keep getting canned responses asking for the same materials. Agoda apologized several times for the "inconvenience", but I finally asked them to cancel the reservation since I did not feel comfortable submitting the same documents to the same supposedly secure link from which they could not find the original documents. I don't have a good feeling about Agoda and will not b e using them again.

licyd
5/19/17

Wanted to book room in Agoda as there were good offers.. But since we had more queries about the bookings we were trying to get in touch in the customer service team. And finally we found a number where in we had to enter our call back number and query ensuring a call bavk.However even after sending query we did not get any call from customer service . In such case, How can we even be assured of anything in the website?Whom do we even contact in case of any concern? Having these questions in mind we had to cancel our plan of booking in the website and looking for a better option.

deann401
5/19/17

I booked a reservation on Agoda at 7 pm at night when my flight got cancelled. When I got to the hotel, they had no record of the reservation and they were sold out.
The web site said that the reservation had been made. After arguing with the front desk for 20 minutes, I went to another hotel. Today, I get an email from them saying that the reservation didn't go through. For this, they gave me a $4.40 coupon!
What a joke (and an insult)

helenad9
5/16/17

If could give -5 stars i would. $#*! don´t waist your time on this site. they are booking hotels saying they have 3/5 rooms available and the hotels were alredy full two weeks ago.

They attempt to solve the problem of my first booking by searching for me a new hotel and they offer to cover the extra of the new hotel. I agreed and 5 minuts later they write me again saying sorry but we booked you again on a full hotel, we can´t do anything more to help you besides give 50USD discont on your next booking.

unreal... Don´t waste your time with them do yourself a favor and keep using Booking.

eb607
5/11/17

Agoda is good unless you wan to use your agoda points. two years ago I treid to use my points before they expired and the site wouldn't let me use them. I contacted agoda on three different occasions about this mysterous drop down box that doesnt exist. In the end they basically said oh well and i lost 250,000 points. I have 37,000 points set to expire dec 2017 and here I am again attempting to use my points and yet again the drop down box is no where to be found and this time I have not recived a response from agoda. This is not ok. Why are they able to offer a program and then not have to honor it?

nataliak17
5/10/17

This is an absolutely ridiculous company! I received an email at 10:30PM last night which said I need to send them a photo of my passport and credit card by 9AM the next day, or they would cancel my booking. I called them to see if the email really came from them, as it seems like a very dodgy request, and have been told that yes it was, but my booking is completed and confirmed, so I don't need to do anything else. I called the hotel directly and confirmed the booking as well. Two hours later I get an email from agoda to say that my booking has been cancelled. When I call them they said it has been cancelled because they didn't receive my documents. When I told them I spoke to someone 2 hours ago who assured me I dont need to do anything else, they had nothing to say apart from sorry, you have been given the wrong information. Now I'm left with no hotel less than 48hr before I'm due to arrive. Of course they said I can book through them again (for double the price!!) but by this point the company has proven useless and honestly quite dodgy. All I got from them is a half hearted apology. I will definitely never be using this company again.

chrisr230
5/9/17

I recently tried to book a room online with Agoda. They refused the credit card details and asked for further proof such as a copy of my passport!!! What the ......!!! I refused as have never been asked for this with other online booking companies. They insisted it was for my protection!!! What a load of garbage as one cannot book into a hotel without giving identification!!!

maristelaz
4/24/17

They sent to me a voucher reservation with different information that was advertising in the web site. If you don't take photo or printed the adv before booking, you will pay more extras that they said was not included. In my case, the ad included breakfast and I paid for it, however they send the information after that breakfast was not included and I need to pay the extra breakfast in the hotel. I tried to check in web site and the advertising was not in the website anymore. I sent email to they please to have a check the advertising I had paid for and the answer was:

"This is in regards to your inquiry stating when you made the booking, breakfast is included in the booking. Please be informed we have checked with the hotel and they have stated breakfast is not included in this reservation as per the total charge made for the reservation.
If you would like to have breakfast at the property, kindly proceed to make a payment directly to the hotel as per price below;
BREAKFAST/ IDR 150 000/per adult/per day.
Please be kindly noted if you can not provide any proof to show the booking is included the breakfast, we are not able to verify with you. Since your booking condition and hotel voucher we sent to you clearly stated breakfast excluded.
Regards,
Isaac
Agoda Customer Support Team "

simonl55
4/21/17

Just a note of warning to fellow travelers using agoda. Don't believe their booking conditions when it states pay later at hotel. I selected this and was told that a card was only needed to hold the reservation and that no money would be taken. The payment was taken immediately! Agoda don't address the issue in replies to my complaint and don't want to know. Caused me a lot of problems and they are not interested in helping me. It is horrible being mislead. Will never use them again. Use agoda at your own peril.

carolinep24
4/13/17

DO NOT USE AGODA.COM!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BOOK AT ONE PRICE, GET CONFRIMED
AND THEN THEY CHARGE DOUBLE. THERE IS NOTHING IN PRINT, JUST A CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND THEN YOU GET CHARGED BEFORE OR ON DAY OF ARRIVAL. TOTAL COMPLETE SCAM AND THEY JUST SEND YOU A BUNCH OF SILLY E MAILS SAYING NOTHING.

coreya19
3/31/17

SCAM ALERT!!!! My brother and sister in law are currently sitting in a parking lot at 115 in the morning because this garbage service took their money and booked them at a hotel that had no rooms left. They aren't even offering to make up for their mistake! Absolute garbage!!!! DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

miked248
3/27/17

After booking a hotel, completing the credit card fraud prevention steps and receiving the booking confirmation, Agoda unilaterally cancelled the booking whilst we were traveling internationally therefore leaving us without accommodation on arrival at destination.
No explanation or apology was provided.
Based on our experience, we suggest that any international travelers use extreme caution when using this booking service as what might seem as a competitively priced offer ends up much more expensive and time consuming after being let down.

krishnap6
3/24/17

I booked a hotel with Agoda with my card for someone else. I paid it with my card and mentioned my family person's email address on it who is actually going to stay at the hotel. There were issue with the payment and we were trying different cards to pay Agoda. My family member did not stay at the hotel for the amount I paid and the hotel was agreed to refund to Agoda. Agoda never refunded back since Nov, 2016. I had emailed them multiple times and they always came up with an excuse and holding my money illegally. I would not recommend Agoda to anyone. Its very annoying when they say your name is not on the booking. Idiots I paid it with my credit card that has my name. so stupid excuses that hard to believe and that proves they do not want to refund the money. so I'm going to my bank and apply charge back to recover my money.

Helpful answer

I didn't know that? I have had the best deals from them and I find them very helpful.

By Sandra B. on 5/28/15
Helpful answer

I don't bother making lists just search for where I am going and select the best deal for at least 1 mth before its needed and keep track of prices

By steve B. on 6/22/15
Helpful answer

Great Site. No worries...Go Ahead you can trust Agoda. Member almost 3 years now and never a problem

By Richard D. on 5/7/15
Helpful answer

janice depends on the hotel most want to use the credit card given for security due to fraud so check with the hotel first befor your husband becomes distraught

By Mel L. on 4/13/15
Helpful answer

It was my understanding that you receive points according to the amount of money you spend on reservations, not on writing reviews.

By Bonnie S. on 10/13/15
Helpful answer

Hi Marlon, you have to register to Agoda affiliation program, you will see all the history about your Agoda purchase and points. I use Agda very often, and I have already enjoyed a couple of weekends for free redeeming my points. of course when booking cheap hotels you get a few points only, so it will take time till you can get full benefits from it. It's a great way to keep customers with them, they are very smart.

By Alessandro P. on 12/5/12
Helpful answer

I am not aware of any reward for posting a review !

By Tee-Hong T. on 10/26/15
Helpful answer

I usually use my mobile phone to show the voucher, bbut most times hotels are not even bothered to see it as they have your name on file.

By Bob H. on 11/20/15
Helpful answer

ask your bank for a copy of the statement if you dont have one but a valid id would be handy if the hotel/motel do not allow then give them the flick and sue them

By Mel L. on 9/18/15
Helpful answer

sorry for the delay in response when i have booked through Agoda i know it is done but if your not feeling good about it then yes you can check but the result will still be the same when you arrive some of the tricks hotels /motels use is to say they never received the booking which is why Agoda gives you a booking reference hope this helps

By Mel L. on 2/16/16
Questions? Get answers from the Agoda staff and other customers.

18 Photos for Agoda