Review of Agoda

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

opav
5/26/17

I booked a villa in Maldives for 3 nights (USD 2,796.27) with Agoda about 2 months ago and I received the email indicating the charged amount of USD 2796 on May 24.

For fair practice code, Agoda should had charged the THB equivalent of USD 2,796.27 on the pay date of May 24, 2017.  The exchange rate on May 24 is 1 USD = 34.44 baht so it should be THB 96,303.5388 BUT my credit account limit has been deducted with THB 101,094.39 (THB 4790 over !!! with the exchange rate of 36.15 THB/USD). When I contacted Agoda local on May 24, the staff told me that the amount will be amended to THB 96,783.54. That is fine with me, actually I want to be charged with the exchanged rate on May 24, no matter the rate increases or reduces. On May 25, my credit limit is still the same, no amendment, so I contacted Agoda again, the local staff responded that the amount charged will be amended in a few days. In this regards,

1) I am not sure how much in THB will be charged at my account as well as the actual charged date; as the exchange rate varies day to day, in fact, Agoda should use the exchange rate of the pay date indicated in the confirmation mail (May 24);

2) from my case, it seems that Agoda intends to make profit from exchange rate;

3) If luckily Agoda amends the charged amount 1 week after May 24, still  the customer will lose the amount in his/her credit limit for 1 week.

I am not happy with this practice; as I still don't know the exact date and amount in THB that will be actually charged at my credit account.

crs4
5/22/17

I used Agoda to book a hotel in South Africa. The price was good, but was a little put off when, for "verification purposes" they requested I submit a copy of my credit card and my ID through their secure link. Nonetheless I did so and received a confirmation of my reservation. Approx. 3 weeks later, I received 2 more emails asking that I submit the exact same materials through their secure link. I called them to ensure that my reservation was in fact confirmed and that it was a mistake that I received additional emails asking for the same materials previously provided by me. I was told by the customer service agent that he would look into it and get back to me within 30 minutes. He did not. 24 hours later I called again. I was told the same thing -- the customer service rep would call me back, He did not. In the interim I was also communicating with Agoda by email to their "fraud prevention" department. I keep getting canned responses asking for the same materials. Agoda apologized several times for the "inconvenience", but I finally asked them to cancel the reservation since I did not feel comfortable submitting the same documents to the same supposedly secure link from which they could not find the original documents. I don't have a good feeling about Agoda and will not b e using them again.

licyd
5/19/17

Wanted to book room in Agoda as there were good offers.. But since we had more queries about the bookings we were trying to get in touch in the customer service team. And finally we found a number where in we had to enter our call back number and query ensuring a call bavk.However even after sending query we did not get any call from customer service . In such case, How can we even be assured of anything in the website?Whom do we even contact in case of any concern? Having these questions in mind we had to cancel our plan of booking in the website and looking for a better option.

deann401
5/19/17

I booked a reservation on Agoda at 7 pm at night when my flight got cancelled. When I got to the hotel, they had no record of the reservation and they were sold out.
The web site said that the reservation had been made. After arguing with the front desk for 20 minutes, I went to another hotel. Today, I get an email from them saying that the reservation didn't go through. For this, they gave me a $4.40 coupon!
What a joke (and an insult)

helenad9
5/16/17

If could give -5 stars i would. $#*! don´t waist your time on this site. they are booking hotels saying they have 3/5 rooms available and the hotels were alredy full two weeks ago.

They attempt to solve the problem of my first booking by searching for me a new hotel and they offer to cover the extra of the new hotel. I agreed and 5 minuts later they write me again saying sorry but we booked you again on a full hotel, we can´t do anything more to help you besides give 50USD discont on your next booking.

unreal... Don´t waste your time with them do yourself a favor and keep using Booking.

eb607
5/11/17

Agoda is good unless you wan to use your agoda points. two years ago I treid to use my points before they expired and the site wouldn't let me use them. I contacted agoda on three different occasions about this mysterous drop down box that doesnt exist. In the end they basically said oh well and i lost 250,000 points. I have 37,000 points set to expire dec 2017 and here I am again attempting to use my points and yet again the drop down box is no where to be found and this time I have not recived a response from agoda. This is not ok. Why are they able to offer a program and then not have to honor it?

nataliak17
5/10/17

This is an absolutely ridiculous company! I received an email at 10:30PM last night which said I need to send them a photo of my passport and credit card by 9AM the next day, or they would cancel my booking. I called them to see if the email really came from them, as it seems like a very dodgy request, and have been told that yes it was, but my booking is completed and confirmed, so I don't need to do anything else. I called the hotel directly and confirmed the booking as well. Two hours later I get an email from agoda to say that my booking has been cancelled. When I call them they said it has been cancelled because they didn't receive my documents. When I told them I spoke to someone 2 hours ago who assured me I dont need to do anything else, they had nothing to say apart from sorry, you have been given the wrong information. Now I'm left with no hotel less than 48hr before I'm due to arrive. Of course they said I can book through them again (for double the price!!) but by this point the company has proven useless and honestly quite dodgy. All I got from them is a half hearted apology. I will definitely never be using this company again.

chrisr230
5/9/17

I recently tried to book a room online with Agoda. They refused the credit card details and asked for further proof such as a copy of my passport!!! What the ......!!! I refused as have never been asked for this with other online booking companies. They insisted it was for my protection!!! What a load of garbage as one cannot book into a hotel without giving identification!!!

maristelaz
4/24/17

They sent to me a voucher reservation with different information that was advertising in the web site. If you don't take photo or printed the adv before booking, you will pay more extras that they said was not included. In my case, the ad included breakfast and I paid for it, however they send the information after that breakfast was not included and I need to pay the extra breakfast in the hotel. I tried to check in web site and the advertising was not in the website anymore. I sent email to they please to have a check the advertising I had paid for and the answer was:

"This is in regards to your inquiry stating when you made the booking, breakfast is included in the booking. Please be informed we have checked with the hotel and they have stated breakfast is not included in this reservation as per the total charge made for the reservation.
If you would like to have breakfast at the property, kindly proceed to make a payment directly to the hotel as per price below;
BREAKFAST/ IDR 150 000/per adult/per day.
Please be kindly noted if you can not provide any proof to show the booking is included the breakfast, we are not able to verify with you. Since your booking condition and hotel voucher we sent to you clearly stated breakfast excluded.
Regards,
Isaac
Agoda Customer Support Team "

simonl55
4/21/17

Just a note of warning to fellow travelers using agoda. Don't believe their booking conditions when it states pay later at hotel. I selected this and was told that a card was only needed to hold the reservation and that no money would be taken. The payment was taken immediately! Agoda don't address the issue in replies to my complaint and don't want to know. Caused me a lot of problems and they are not interested in helping me. It is horrible being mislead. Will never use them again. Use agoda at your own peril.

carolinep24
4/13/17

DO NOT USE AGODA.COM!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BOOK AT ONE PRICE, GET CONFRIMED
AND THEN THEY CHARGE DOUBLE. THERE IS NOTHING IN PRINT, JUST A CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND THEN YOU GET CHARGED BEFORE OR ON DAY OF ARRIVAL. TOTAL COMPLETE SCAM AND THEY JUST SEND YOU A BUNCH OF SILLY E MAILS SAYING NOTHING.

coreya19
3/31/17

SCAM ALERT!!!! My brother and sister in law are currently sitting in a parking lot at 115 in the morning because this garbage service took their money and booked them at a hotel that had no rooms left. They aren't even offering to make up for their mistake! Absolute garbage!!!! DO NOT USE THIS SITE!

miked248
3/27/17

After booking a hotel, completing the credit card fraud prevention steps and receiving the booking confirmation, Agoda unilaterally cancelled the booking whilst we were traveling internationally therefore leaving us without accommodation on arrival at destination.
No explanation or apology was provided.
Based on our experience, we suggest that any international travelers use extreme caution when using this booking service as what might seem as a competitively priced offer ends up much more expensive and time consuming after being let down.

krishnap6
3/24/17

I booked a hotel with Agoda with my card for someone else. I paid it with my card and mentioned my family person's email address on it who is actually going to stay at the hotel. There were issue with the payment and we were trying different cards to pay Agoda. My family member did not stay at the hotel for the amount I paid and the hotel was agreed to refund to Agoda. Agoda never refunded back since Nov, 2016. I had emailed them multiple times and they always came up with an excuse and holding my money illegally. I would not recommend Agoda to anyone. Its very annoying when they say your name is not on the booking. Idiots I paid it with my credit card that has my name. so stupid excuses that hard to believe and that proves they do not want to refund the money. so I'm going to my bank and apply charge back to recover my money.

daveb164
3/15/17

They charge my pre-registered card a few days in advance of my arrival date, but they charge it in British £ because it is from a British bank, but the card is in Australian $ and I have to pay a conversion fee. They say they cannot change this. They did make not make it clear in what currency I would be charged when I made the bookings. I will never use Agoda again.

alyssae7
2/27/17

We will never book through Agoda again. We had to leave unexpectedly due to a family illness. We called asking for a refund due to a spontaneous illness of a family member. They concluded that medical documentation is needed for a refund. Due to patient privacy and HIPPA regulations documents could not be sent. Horrible customer service, not willing to work with customers. Very Heart-less.

sharont77
2/19/17

My friends and I decided to have a short getaway over at Lexis Hibiscus ,Port $#*!son and booked our Seaview room using Agoda in December 2016 for our trip on 18 February 2017. We even sent another email requesting for early check in through Agoda, and in which they have responded to us that we will be able to. My friend then checked her email and Agoda account on 17 February 2017 to get our resort details and the booking was stated CONFIRMED.

We left on 18 February at 7.30am happily through a long journey and went to check in. To our utter shock, we were told that our booking were CANCELLED. Naturally, we FREAK out! We did not understand why it was cancelled and at the same time, the resort has a bad Wi-Fi connection which makes it even harder to check on our status. After a long time, we were managed to get the connection and went back to the email and status in Agoda account and found out it was cancelled and an email was sent ONLY at 9.36am on the same day at 18 February 2017. This blew our mind.. Without proper notification and Agoda decided to just cancelled our bookings 5 HOURS before our check in time. The worst thing it , for some reason our bookings was transferred to BOOKING.COM (God knows why) and thats why the resort couldn't trace it for a while...

And because of this, we spent 2 more hours to resolve this and get a walk in price and room (not the best view).

PS: USE AGODA AT YOUR OWN RISK!

roshikaj
2/17/17

The best website for finding affordable hotels for international. We can easily surf the Agoda for good hotel with good deal.

assdfdga
2/15/17

TOLD ME THEY WAIVING THE CHARGES FOR MY LAST NIGHT AS WE DIDNT STAY AND DUE TO POOR COMMUNICATION BETWEEN HOTEL AND THE ACTUAL WEBSITE THEY TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM REFUNDING IT. APPALLING BEHAVIOR AND VERY UNPROFESSIONAL !

pranayj1
2/14/17

I booked a hotel in India during Feb 18th 2017 period and received email from Agoda stating I will have to relocate to whatever crappy hotels they are now suggesting because the hotel I reserved, is overbooked and I will not get more than 50% refund. This isn't my mistake to begin with. They stated within 3 days of booking I am eligible for only 50%. Though they informed me very late and I am not entitled for refund. Its there mistake to inform me late and so they should pay me in full.. Very bad experience and would not recommend this site to anyone for booking. No customer care available internationally, only UK number.

richards305
2/14/17

Their price/discount is just a lie. Many hotels offer better rate than their advertised price. Basically they lie to people who book online with artificial discounts.

danajohnc
1/21/17

We booked one room, two beds at Golden Palace Hotel in Phnom Penh. On arrival they said we booked one room, one bed. A closer look at the confirmation email revealed there were no details so we couldn't prove it was not our mistake. Since my brother an I haven't slept in the same bed for over 50 years we were forced to pay nearly double to get 2 beds. The email should have shown details. Wasn't our mistake.

michaels550
1/19/17

The second time I used the Agoda app I had my reservation held back due to a fraud alert. I legitimately put in the wrong CV code from an old credit card, so not their bad. I called the 24/7 ?? Number which is not 24/7, unless they are confused what this means!! I talked to a rep he said he would cancel that booking and I could just book again. My favorite hotel was short on rooms so l booked again per their instruction (correct CV code this time.) thought I got my room! About an hour later saw I had another email from Agoda...another fraud alert - my booking was not confirmed! I called their 24/7 (not!) line twice. No answer, left a message. Six hours later still no reply...called back - now like $60 in phone charges because it's not toll free, they keep putting me on hold for 12 minutes etc. I asked to speak to a manager. What do you know...no one available! After several more calls I asked to have a Manager call me back. 3 days still waiting. I lost my favorite hotel, all booked now. Still no call back from my messages nor request to have a manager call me. These guys have no clue! I've been using Booking.com for 5 years in 12 countries, never a problem. Agoda deserves zero stars in my opinion. They either don't know what customer service is or don't care! Never Again Agoda!

darshang
12/28/16

Did a booking with Agoda and to earn points paid extra charges on the hotel room rate. 8 months the ponts were never credited . Feel cheated as paid extra charges and their respond to it check with our airlines. No more Agoda

jonathanj36
12/20/16

I am the hotel partner and guest of agoda.com

The customer service and partner service of AGODA .com is very VERY POOR. VERY HARD TO CONTACT after the credit card fund was deducted to their company account.

VERY VERY HARD to get any feed back for a long time for urgent issue like the payment issue in the both side of hotel and guest. They are quiet and disappear like invisible thief. Sometime they acknowledged for my enquiry but need almost a week to get the feedback ( have reference )

It's happen many many times for the service of AGODA.com in both side of customer and partner.

This will make you feel very bore and give up for Agoda.com services.

In the status of Hotel partner :
Now I decide to decrease allotment for agoda and increase for their competitor. They never care because they think they are very very big company. Let see what will happen ...

In the status of Guest who book room from Agoda.com :
I will stop use this website although sometime it is a bit cheaper but non refundeable in case i have change my plan. I use another website who has better service to make my trip smoother.

Let's decrease allotment for AGODA.com.
Let's Book the room on another site like EXPEDIA.com, TRAVELOKA.com, HOTELS.com, AIRBNB.com

or

Wotif
BedandBreakfast
Thomas Cook
Ebookers

Let see what will happen with this HUGE company with POOR services...

29 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Agoda staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 10/13/15
on 12/5/12
on 5/29/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the Agoda staff and other customers.

18 Photos for Agoda