Review of Agoda

privacy@agoda.com
2018 Customer choice award

vicc30
1/14/19

BOLD AND IGNORANT SERVICE WITH CHEEKY INFI AT WEB-SITE. dont wast ypu time and mood-- you will be disappoinded and they will drive you to extra cost. i've been agoda customer for a few years (and they was ok) but recently they became proper rubbish

victoriaj8
1/9/19

I booked several hotels through Agoda for my recent trip to Japan. They usually use the system whereby they charge the money. It's very intransparent, as on your creditcard statement, you see only the final amount and not what was booked. I queried one as the exchange amount seemed way wrong, and received only standard answers that as I chose "Pay Later" I had to accept the exchange rate on the date booked...however, how Agoda arrives at the exchange rate is not explained. I had other bookings at the same time which I paid directly, and the "current" exchange rate was always better, both a day before and a day after my stays where Agoda charged. So it looks like they are setting their own exchange rates in order to earn better. I won't be using them again.

larsr11
1/6/19

We were charged double, but Agoda are refusing to pay us back even though we provided them with all the documentation they have asked for. They wrongfully tried to blame my credit card company. They are liars and cheaters.

virginiai5
1/3/19

Please pay attention this company will steal your money and they are dishonest I tried to purchase a room date was incorrect would not allow me to fix and said a refund on $180 that I can get back $17 WTH.. within a span of 10 min.. I called and they were unreasonable . DO NOT RISK IT USE ANYONE ELSE

ishmaelh2
1/3/19

@agoda are NOT honest. I made a booking and within an hour realised they charged my credit card and applied no refund/cancellation despite selecting the full fee for a room with cancellation/refund/deferred payments options chosen. I want what I chose for. Agoda Booking ID 226734875

alexw200
1/2/19

Charrged me nearly double rate they adverised. Complaints handling exhausting and useless. Use another site and warn all your friends.

nikkio13
12/31/18

I made the huge mistake of booking through Agoda and will never do so again. I booked a reservation and within 15 minutes realized I booked on an island of Hawaii we would not be visiting. I tried to cancel this reservation by contacting Agoda (through email, phone) and they are SUPER hard to get ahold of and did nothing to even try and help me cancel the reservation (for months in advance) even though I called the same day to try to cancel. I then called the resort I booked with and nobody would help me. Because they already took my money, I was forced to rearrange my vacation so I wouldn't lose out on $1800. It was a nightmare and I was so unimpressed with this company. STAY AWAY FROM AGODA and book through a reputable company or just book direct with the hotel/resort!

bertl20
12/26/18

I received a new credit card and tried to update my number with them for payment. Before I could enter my info the session expired and would not let me continue. No one ever answers their phone or emails and the proceeded to cancel my reservation 3 days before we were to fly out!!!

laurentk
12/26/18

Agoda is a Real fraud. I made a Booking for a hotel in Hungary and paid on the agoda site it was a prepayment to get the best rate possible. When i arrived at the hotel they told me my reservation had been cancelled on the 5th of december ...any cancellation After novembre 2nd meant i would be charged un full on my credit card. Im not stupid i would never have cancelled my réservation to lose all my money !
Impossible to get anybody on the phone that night from Agoda...

amitas8
12/23/18

My cousin has booked 2 rooms in Amrutha Castle through Agoda.com for her family comprising of her kid, husband and parents for 4-5 days starting from 22nd Dec 2018. They reached the hotel on 23rd Dec midnight around 1.30 am and on arrival hotel staff mentioned that booking has been cancelled by Agoda on 20th Dec. It was a surprise since no one from her family cancelled the booking. They asked for another room which the staff said, "not available".
She has called the staff on 21st Dec to re-confirm the booking and requested pick up service from airport on which Amrutha Castle staff quoted "yes your booking is confirmed" and they will arrange for car for pick up at mid night.
Question is if the staff is saying truth then:
1. Why did they didn't tell her on 21st Dec that her booking has been cancelled on 20th Dec? No one from Agoda.com called them to inform if anything like this has happened.
2. If booking is cancelled then why did they sent car and confirmed their arrival before pick up? They also charged Rs.1800 for pick up from hotel for which the booking was cancelled. Is it not their responsibility to inform them before pick up that their booking is cancelled? Isn't strange?
She along with her small kid, husband and elderly parents were searching for hotels at mid night 2.00 am. Being Christmas and New Year almost all hotels were filled. They finally got one hotel which was very far from all sight seeing and they had to pay twice or thrice the amount since it was at short notice.
Does this kind of service / behavior acceptable from Agoda.com and Amrutha Castle? On top of this the staff was very rude and was not ready to accept their mistake. Also, later we learnt there are few more similar incidents happened with other customers as well.
I strongly advise everyone not to trust them and never book any hotel through Agoda.com

Amita

wenx2
12/21/18

I've used web sites to book my travels for more than 20 years. This is the first time I've been treated like a criminal. They asked me to scan my personal ID after I gave them a credit card. I've had no problem booking travels on all major websites using this credit card like orbitz, expedia, booking.com.

I will run away as fast as I could from this website.

vigneshs3
12/21/18

Worst customer service i have seen.

1. Have waited and exhausted by calling 24×7 customer care.
2. Sent email and no response even after sending reminders.

Will never use this agoda again and will not recommend as well..

dang245
12/16/18

First, I guaranteed a room several months ago based on the hostel being shown within .2 kilometers of city center in Dong Hoi, Vietnam. When I arrived, it was over 2 kilometers and I chose to leave and I lost the prepayment as a penalty. When a property lies to get bookings, all bets should be off, not with Agoda, they wouldn't do anything.
Second, I booked a room at Niny Backpackers in Vientianne, Laos for one night, 4/12/2018, through Agoda and spent a total of five nights there. As usual, as I have done at every place I have stayed each night since August 5, 2018, I paid at the property in local currency except in Cambodia which accepted $'s.
I checked my account and discovered Agoda had immediately charged my account and contacted them to have the charge reversed. I received an email back blaming me for the double charge and demanding to know why I had checked something that authorized them to charge my card and paid cash at the hostel! DUH! A respons came from an Agoda idiot going by the name of Krish!

davef147
12/14/18

Do not book with Agoda

I booked 3 nights with a hotel in Manila

I only used two nights. The hotel told me that I should contact Agoda for a refund of the unused third night and that they ( the hotel) would notify Agoda that they wanted to refund the third night. This was the hotels idea, not mine. Agoda Customer Service can not be reached. When you get through to Their Customer Service you are placed on hold while you listen to music that is played over and over again. I did this several times and listened to thie same music for upto 15 minutes at a time. Needless to say, I will not use Agoda again

basakw
12/10/18

i booked a hotel through their portal and they sent a confimation for a hotel that was already sold out. I arrived my hotel at 11pm and i was told that they dont have this booking and the hotel was sold out as well
So i had to find another hotel after midnight because i tried to reach them
Out for an hour over the phone and no response. Customer service is terrible, booking system
Is terrible. My first and last time with them!

scotth437
12/6/18

I prepaid for four nights stay in Bali for two rooms in October 2018 . I notified them within 24 hours to cancel one room . I accepted their policy for them to keep one night room cost . They have never refunded the three remaining nights. I have called , emailed and no help. Their customer service is TERRIBLE!

bryanw96
12/5/18

Dear Fellow Patrons of Agoda,

I write this review in hopes to deter any of you from booking through this platform to save yourselves from the horrible experience we have gone through.
After booking a room at Estadia Hotel through Agoda for 2 nights from 30Nov-2Dec 2018, we found a same room on booking.com, inclusive of breakfast, but at a much cheaper price. The gravity of their deception and adamant refusal to admit that we have indeed found a booking for the same room at a cheaper price with all the evidence against them should be a strong enough reason for me to turn your heads away from this site. However, I understand the need to paint a clear picture and cover both sides of the story. Hence, I have attached the 2 bookings since a picture is worth a thousand words, much less 2.
Naturally, the first reaction upon finding a cheaper option, we tried to call Agoda. After waiting on the line for 2 whole hours 3 days in a row, our call was finally answered. (In between, we tried reaching out to Agoda via Facebook Message but it is evident that they have decided to ignore our case when they left us on read.) The nice lady on the other end of the line then instructed us to apply through the claim form on their website. After filling up the claim form multiple times, we were brick walled by the same reply multiple time, stating that the:
-room size is different
-bed type is different
-provision of free breakfast is different
-cancellation policy is different
-provision of free bike rental and shuttle service is different
By the 3rd rejection, we were well on our way to Malacca. Once there, we got the hotel to confirm the room types for both sites and have appended their letter in this review.

1. Room Size is Different
From Agoda: Please be advised that twin bed 2 single beds, city view, non-smoking, free wifi and the size of the room is 22 m2/237 ft2/ Please be informed that the Screenshot sent to is for the Estadia Deluxe
Aside from the obvious deviation from a standard reply leading to a typo in the email, the room on booking.com is stated as a deluxe room while the room on Agoda is a twin bed room, upon inspection of the hotel website, it was evident that there is no twin bed room provided by the hotel which left us worried if we had been scammed. However, the hotel has stated that both the rooms are the same as stated in the letter.

2. Bed Type is Different
From Agoda: Please be advised that twin bed 2 single beds, city view, non-smoking, free wifi and the size of the room is 22 m^2/237 ft^2
As with above, we requested for the hotel to join the 2 single beds in one of the room and left the other as it is to prove that it is indeed the same room. Regrettably, we did not take pictures of the room, however for those familiar with Malacca, we shall state for the purpose of fairness that the room was facing Jln Melaka Raya instead of the shopping centres on the other side of the hotel, city view or not, you decide

3. Provision of Free Breakfast is Different
From Agoda: Free Breakfast is provided
Admittedly, this point is different from booking.com since booking.com does provide breakfast while agoda does not. However, on this premise, it infuriates us that the staff of agoda dared to bring this point up, as if we are expected to pay more because something is not provided.

4. Cancellation Policy is Different
From Agoda: Same Cancellation and Amendment policies
Booking.com allows for free cancellation while agoda does not. As with above, this point is different, but expecting us to pay more for a service that you did not provide has, at this point in time, become a classic for agoda

5. Provision of Free Bike Rental and Shuttle Service is Different
From Agoda: Please know that your confirmed agoda booking includes free shuttle service and bike rental. While the rates you foundon other website does not.
Aside from the obvious deviation from a standard reply leading to a typo in the email, the hotel has confirmed that free shuttle service and bicycle rentals are provided to all guests upon request.

Estadia Hotel is a wonderful hotel in Malacca strategically situated between the malls and street food. With warm staff and sheltered linkways between the malls. This hotel has been a go-to for my family since its completion a few years ago and I would highly recommend any visitors of Malacca to have a try.
I understand that social media is a double-edged sword and naturally posting this would put me at a risk of being "flamed", hence I leave it to all of you to be the judge and I hope that this review has helped you to think twice about booking through agoda.

philiph128
11/28/18

We booked 4 nights in Beijing with Agoda - with a confirmation voucher. Arrived at the hotel late at night to be told that there was no booking and that the hotel hadn't had any dealings with Agoda for over a year. TAKE NOTE - WE ARRIVED AT THE HOTEL WITH A VOUCHER FROM AGODA only to be told a booking had never been made. Agoda's response was "Thank you for contacting Agoda Customer Support to cancel your booking. We have confirmed the cancellation of your booking at Hotel Cote Cour Beijing.You will pay nothing for this cancellation. Your account will not be charged.Thanks for booking with Agoda!". Had to find another hotel late at night in an unfamiliar city. At the very least Agoda should have apologised and offered some sort of voucher off another booking. BUT - nothing - just the above email which is just a slap in the face. Fine when things work, but when things don't work - expect NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT from Agoda - they couldn't care less.

priscillap24
11/22/18

I booked a room through Agoda and their website switched my date after clock turned 12. When i attempted to check in at hotel minutes after booking the hotel said check in was at midnight. They said Agoda often makes this mistake for customers and they couldn't switch my reservation to current date. They said only Agoda could authorize change and when I spoke to Agoda they said only hotel could authorize cancellation or switching dates. None of them were willing to authorize and I was stuck paying for a hotel for a night I wasn't even going to be in town. Worst customer service ever. Rude, and unprofessional. I will never use Agoda again.

af82
11/17/18

Agoda customer service is horrendously awful. If you make any error on your booking it is a full time job to contact them. And then they lie, are unhelpful and inflexible!!!

I made a one day error in my booking and they are unwilling to allow me to amend the reservation by one day. I must pay for the night I won't even be in that city. They blame the hotel. The hotel blames them.

Book with AGODA only if you need extra frustration in your life!!!

junem82
11/16/18

Do not use this company, they have gone downhill very fast, their marketing is false, room sizes incorrect, views from room incorrect , even types of rooms, i.e. pictures and descriptions do not match, either very deceitful or totally incompetent.
Used them for years but have stopped using them due to all of the above. See attached pool view picture
Customer service also bad.
They have changed hands now for the worse. STAY AWAY

lalitc3
11/16/18

They charged me for the booking, they cancelled my booking and then they didn't refund my money and now they don't reply to emails and I can't even get through to anyone to complaint.
Booking id 221630347.

dang237
11/12/18

Be aware of their customer support. For me it is one of the worst I have ever seen. I made a reservation through their website for business purposes. The e-reservation that was generated automatically did not included the amount paid for the reservation!!! That is supper strange, every other agency is transparent about that.

I tried reaching them, in order to obtain some sort of an invoice, but to my astonishment I was unable to do so. If you want to e-mail them, you can only do so if you make a account on their website, and once you made an account, they ask for a valid reservation, which if you don't have, you can't email them.

If you try to call them, first of it's not that easy to get their phone number, and when you do get the number you talk with a machine which asks for a booking ID, once you type that, it simply states that the booking was completed. And that's it. There is literally no way of getting in touch with them, at least not after the booking was completed.

emilyb274
11/12/18

Honestly, if there is an option not to press any star, I won't. Agoda don't deserved it. During our holiday in Philippines, most of our hotel bookings made by Agoda.com, but shame on them charging me an Imperial room in Royal garden hotel in Ozamiz City Philippines. I sent them an email, complaining that I haven't booked that imperial room and they showed me a booking referrence which I don't receive an email from my side, of course if i have that confirmatiin i have all the right to cancel or to retain it. You will be shocked and its already deducted to your debit card of £247.00. I try to call customer service nit helpful at all, talk to hotel in charge but they will just forward you to different people (not the right one). I been sending several emails to customerservice@agoda and the hotel itself, but non of them like to entertain you or help about your problem made by them. What a scam at agoda.com and the hotel.
That amount of money that they took from me I would rather help to my nephew who is suffering from brain tumor and need more of financial support.
What an aweful Agoda.com

carlk75
11/10/18

I hate to spend any more time on this, but I feel like I owe it to other travelers to know what they're dealing with.

We booked a resort in Thailand over the holidays earlier than usual through AGODA knowing it is peak travel season (and in fact it wound being the last room available).... and almost immediately received a notice that AGODA had charged our credit card almost $4,000 twice.

After we called attention to the second charge, weeks went by with no response from AGODA despite repeated calls and emails so we contacted American Express who suggested we simply dispute the second charge.

Almost instantaneously, we received a notice saying that our attempt to dispute this charge will result in cancellation of our reservation so we leapt into action contacting AGODA and the resort to say it was not our intention to cancel - only that we had been charged twice per American Express and were disputing the second charge.

What followed included...

Repeated denials by AGODA that the card was charged twice

Refusal by AGODA to contact American Express as instructed by Amex to confirm the second charge

Unhelpful and flat-out accusatory "customer service"... when you can actually speak to a live person that is

Over $250 in international calls due to 30 minute wait times calling Agoda's UK customer service # that no one ever picks up as well as calls to the resort and Amex

The cancellation of our reservation by AGODA despite over a dozen attempts to avoid this in writing and over the phone

To add insult to injury, after AGODA acknowledged the error was theirs and that our cars had been charged twice AGODA's "solution" was a $150 discount next time we use their terrible service which will never happen again.

Unbelievable. Unacceptable. And here we are almost three months after our card was charged twice and still no refund.

We travel more than anyone else have never experienced anything even close to this.

I didn't know that? I have had the best deals from them and I find them very helpful.

By Sandra B.

I don't bother making lists just search for where I am going and select the best deal for at least 1 mth before its needed and keep track of prices

By steve B.

You maybtry the resort website http://thecliffresort.com.vn and check the payment method. I got a better rate thru agoda, so did not contact the resort directly. The photos in agoda and resort web truly reflect the rooms and facility. http://thecliffresort.com.vn

By Diep P.

janice depends on the hotel most want to use the credit card given for security due to fraud so check with the hotel first befor your husband becomes distraught

By Mel L.

It was my understanding that you receive points according to the amount of money you spend on reservations, not on writing reviews.

By Bonnie S.

Hi Marlon, you have to register to Agoda affiliation program, you will see all the history about your Agoda purchase and points. I use Agda very often, and I have already enjoyed a couple of weekends for free redeeming my points. of course when booking cheap hotels you get a few points only, so it will take time till you can get full benefits from it. It's a great way to keep customers with them, they are very smart.

By Alessandro P.

I am not aware of any reward for posting a review !

By Tee-Hong T.

I usually use my mobile phone to show the voucher, bbut most times hotels are not even bothered to see it as they have your name on file.

By Bob H.

ask your bank for a copy of the statement if you dont have one but a valid id would be handy if the hotel/motel do not allow then give them the flick and sue them

By Mel L.

try getting a booking ID number out of them! the phonetree wont allow call unless you enter it, nor will their email go tru without it!

By greg c.
Questions? Get answers from the Agoda staff and other customers.

Agoda?