Review of Talbots

Tel: 1-800-TALBOTS
steve.saunders@talbots.com

elizabethm722
3/22/19

I find shopping at Talbots really frustrating. The patterns and designs are just plain ugly. The prices are outrageous for the quality of goods. The shoes are rubber soled and they are asking over $100 full price. I bought a purse for $150 online and immediately returned it because I would be embarrassed to be seen with it. I don't foresee a change for the better as I have never seen a company return to quality after the fall from it.

madelines27
2/15/19

Unable to return a pair of jeans that i purchased and washed before wearing due to store policy. Buyer beware!!

lw198
12/30/18

I ordered several items during Black Friday. One was a black/red pop tartan jacket. After waiting for a while and a call to customer service, I was told on three or four occasion via email that it was on back order & asked if I wanted to wait. Each time I said yes. When I called, the customer rep. encouraged me to cancel my order & said they didn't have this jacket available in any of the stores; even though, I told her there's one available @ the Bellevue Sqr. store. The reason I ordered online instead of purchase from the store was because I felt pressured by the store manager to open a Talbots credit card which I didn't want to. And I was belittled as a result. After I expressed my feelings to Talbot's customer service, I received an email saying that the manufacturer is no longer making this jacket! But when I visited the Bellevue store yesterday (12-29-2018), I saw the jacket that I wanted, but was told no longer available, in this store with different sizes, and one of those was my size! I feel that I was lied to by Talbot out of spite due to my feedback. Plus, Talbot did not want to give me the pleasure of buying this jacket at Black Friday's price! Additionally, the gloves I ordered split between two of the fingers after just wearing twice! I kept it because it'll cost me money to ship it back!

tonim103
12/12/18

Does Talbots think their long--time customers wouldn't notice that pure wool an cotton has been replaced with polyester, nylon, and acrylic? Do they think we'll purchase these clothes that now have poor fit and design? I'm actually insulted that they think they can pawn off discount store merchandise to us for top prices.

zsuzsar
12/12/18

On Black Friday I ordered 13 items half price, and I was told to wait patiently because they were overwhelmed by the many orders. After 2 weeks I got emails canceling all my orders "on my request", which was a lie. Of course by that time the promotion was over and my size items mostly sold out. Awful experience.
I also agree that the quality of the products and also the service at the stores went way down. Interestingly there are Talbots stores in Japan where everything is as it was here 15 years ago, it is like time travel. The only thing that's keeping me shopping there are the pants, they have my size: 20 WP.
Too bad, so sad.

elizabeths479
12/10/18

As several reviewers have already pointed out, Talbots was once a very classy, dependable brand. Classic, beautiful, and extremely well-made clothing. Now most items are frumpy in style, obviously more cheaply made, and seemingly designed for the 55++ age group. Yet even then, other stores catering to the older set, such as Chico's, are managing to produce more attractive, stylish clothes.

Like others who have been devoted Talbots customers, I find it really sad that this brand seems "on its way out." What a shame!

barbaraf227
11/10/18

Something has happened to Talbots. They used to have really beautiful, well-made clothing, but the last few things I've purchased in-store or online have been a complete disappointment. I purchased a beautiful sweater for over $100 and after one wash it was stretched out and the seams were coming apart (I washed in the delicate cycle). I have always purchased Talbot's hosiery, and the last knee-hi socks I purchased repeatedly fell down through the day. Will never buy those again! And I am trying to return the other pairs I purchased and am having trouble getting my return label through the website. Talbot's is losing a long-time customer!

roxanneq
10/4/18

I bought $1000 plus worth of clothing this Spring. A summer sweater and a t shirt fell apart after one wearing...holes in the shoulder(not the seam, the fabric) on both and an additional hole right in front in the sweater. This happened on the first wash. I know how to do laundry, it was the fabric. I'm sure its recycled or something as there are tears in the weave of the knit. I have one linen sweater and another tshirt with the scalloped neck that I am afraid to wear. I also bought a pair of jeans and both pockets are now worn out completely on the seam of the pockets...both sides so not from putting a hand in the pocket. So Talbots has problems with their fabric supply. Have shopped their since 1990...$4000/year, now will not again.

krisd56
9/17/18

I use online shopping from Talbots all the time. The two last orders were sent out with over half of the items ordered missing and no longer available. Both the online and phone customer service were not helpful. I was told by both that the system is not maintained and that they are not able to tell if items are still available. I was also told this is a new issue and that the customer service team has had several "tools" taken away that help them determine what is available and what is not. Now I am off to find items for vacation because Talbots failed. DO NOT ORDER ONLINE. ONLY ORDER ON THE PHONE AND DEMAND THEY CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU WILL GET YOUR ITEMS. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT.

jlr5
8/9/18

Toxic, deplorable and self-serving management in the last month! There was a Store Manager who was dedicated, loyal to Talbots brand and supported associates, dice she left everything went down hill! One individual has been promoted who is all about herself has no respect for associates or customers, is demeaning, sits in the back office during busy times and does not care about promoting Talbots.

valeriet57
7/24/18

I have been shopping at Talbots for 25 years and have become very disenchanted with their style and quality of clothing. Their tops/shirts/blouses are boxy and the prints are very large and unflattering! Also, the t-shirts shrink horribly! I am a size 12 (M) and don't like real fitted clothes but would welcome seeing more tailored garments, as they had in the past. Talbots is now too expensive for the quality, outdated matronly styles and fit. Hope they return to the beautiful classy retail store they once were.

randia5
7/5/18

I have to say I am very disappointed with my customer service experience at Talbots today. After receiving an email indicating my order could not be fulfilled as I placed it due to unexpected demand, I called customer service to order an alternative option. The item I ordered was PA505887 in indigo blue in a size ten. I wanted it in this color so I was trying to order it in a size 9 1/2 in the hopes it may fit but wanted to order it also in a size 10 in the color sand, in case the 9 1/2 didn't fit. With this order I had also purchased 2 other pairs of shoes. Unfortunately, your representative Whitney and manager Lance were completely unwillingly to help me and would not honor the price I purchased it for, for both pairs. I tried to explain this was a result of Talbots being unable to fulfill my order, an error the company had originally made. Had I known my size was not available when I placed my original order by the website being current and up to date with the available stock, I would have placed my order differently. They were un-willing to work with me and find a compromise. I find it interesting how your website tag line is "Providing exceptional service is our priority;" and "It really is all about you" when those statements are entirely untrue.
I found the representatives to be short and unfriendly. Due to the horrible service, I decided to cancel my order completely. This was done without hesitation by Manager Lance. I am a 37 year old woman and will never order from Talbots again and will be sure to tell everyone I know about the incredibly awful service they provide.

joanp93
7/2/18

The Talbots on the upper west side of Manhattan on 83rd and Broadway is ridiculously slow. They have no problem keeping 2 registers open when theres 10people waiting on line. The computers are slow, and they NEVER apologize for the wait or put on an extra cashier on until theyre asked several times. A woman ahead of me who was already at the register doing a return mustve been standing there at least 40mins with no end in sight. And everyone on line says the same thing, the clothing isnt as good as it used to be and stores are hurting in general so how are they allowed to treat customers this way?? Again, they NEVER apologize for an obviously long wait on line.

sallys164
5/29/18

I used Talbots "reserve in store" feature on Saturday. The merchandise (4 items) was showing as in stock in the store I desired. I realize that inventory records get updated periodically and there is never a guarantee that an item is available. I received a confirmation email that the reservation request had registered. It was early evening and I didn't expect a response from the store the same day. However, as the next day marched on, and I had no further information, I decided to call the store. The associate had no clue. I had to read the item numbers to her, and she was very defensive: "If you didn't get a confirmation email that we have it, you have to assume we don't." WHAT? No; the store should enter a response in the system that would trigger a "so sorry" email to the customer! But she said she'd check. She put me on hold; that's ok. Then the manager came on the line and politely asked for my phone number so she could call me back "in 30 minutes." Two hours later, no call. I called back. Two of the items were available. I went over on Monday, Memorial Day; tried on both; bought one. I should mention that there was a sale on, but the store was not at all busy. I have worked in retail, and I know that it would not have been that hard to find these items and get back to the customer in a reasonable period.

Of the two other items of the four that I had hoped for, one was in the store in a different size and I at least got to look at it. This skirt was so cheesy that I wouldn't have bought it anyway. I did make several additional purchases, I will grant you that. But many items I tried on were sloppily made: Designs not centered, stripes not matched. I also asked the manager, who was helping me at the time, if it would be possible to search Talbots for a specific sweater that I had found on the selling floor, but in a different size. She said she would be glad to look it up, and went away and came back and told me that it was all sold out in ever size. WRONG! When I got home I looked it up online and the website showed that there was PLENTY in stock in most sizes, including the size I wanted, and I ordered it online.

I also asked her whether she had a black pencil skirt. She was apologetic; said no, only A-line. I made one last tour through the store and found a pencil skirt that fit my needs. Happy to say it seemed well made and it was a good fit.

It should not be this tiresome and frustrating to shop at Talbots. I'm a long-time customer (over 35 years), and at the risk of sounding like a fuddy-duddy, I can say that I would never have seen this level of service, or so many poorly-made items, even ten years ago in a Talbots store. Please give us customer service and quality control we can count on!

crisg9
4/5/18

I am furious.

Cheap flimsy fabric
I bought this from Talbot's on line and it arrived much different that I had hoped. It was thin and flimsy with pulls in the fabric. I returned it immediately and it took Talbot's 2 weeks to find the return and then they only refunded a small portion of the payment. MY MONEY IS NOT SAFE HERE They gave me $24.00 instead of $40.99. Never again

ellenm80
4/3/18

I'm thinking of sending the last 3 coupons I received for discounts on Talbots clothing to their Customer Service department. One was their annual birthday coupon. When I tell you that I have been a Talbots customer for over 20 years, and that I couldn't find ONE THING I wanted to buy you will understand my sadness at the demise of this formerly favorite store. I find myself going to my "vintage" Talbots clothing in my closet, still beautiful and in excellent condition. Wake up, Talbots! You're losing us all!

dawnh111
2/16/18

I have always liked Talbots but have changed my opinion recently. I can order from Nordstroms and have free shipping and returns and have a larger selection of items.
I rencently ordered pair of pants from Talbots the shippping was $8.00 now they are charging me tax on the shipping! I am done with Talbots.

rw89
1/15/18

I used to buy Talbots clothes but the quality of the clothing and convenience of on line shopping has seriously declined over the past years. Unfortunately I was given an expensive Gift Card for Christmas. I ordered an OK dress, and shoes suited to the dress, online because many of the items are not available locally. I received the online confirmation of order and 4 days later a statement that both items had been shipped. 2 days after that I received another notice they did not have the dress, but the shoes to go with the dress were on the way. The Gift Card was not credited, they said they sent me a merchandise card for the returned amount, and they were sorry it was deducted from my card without having the merchandise. That was over 8 days ago, and I still do not have that card, or the amount of already paid for credit available to me. I am returning the shoes and will be given another merchandise credit card because they won't reload the gift card. As many of their items are online and mot available near me I am limited in what I would dare buy from them sight unseen. The merchandise is often poorly constructed and the materials of low quality, and fit varies. Returns will be another merchandise card. There is NO market for Talbots cards on the gift card exchange....I may return it to the giver, and say "thanks you enjoy it."

sharonj85
12/5/17

My shopping experience on Nov. 30th at the Wayzata Mn store was a lot of fun. All seemed to be in the happy holiday spirit. They were very busy while I was there,however, I received the usual individual attention that I enjoy when they are not busy.
Almost every associate greeted me at one time or another whileI was in the store. The names I rcall are Mimi, Toni, Mary and Michelle.
The jacket I wanted was not in the store but they were happy to order it on line.
I also enjoyed the treats.
Another happy shopping experience at Talbots. Thank you.
Sharon Jankowski

juneb67
11/23/17

my last several visits to talbots have been very disappointing. They look like Alfred Dunner clothes, very old lady. What happened to their beautiful tweed jackets they had every year? What about the high quality sweaters? This year for winter they carried a tee shirt with a car and Christmas tree on top? How about a puppy in a stocking? And jeggings? I'm over sixty. That's not going to happen.

moniquel17
10/16/17

I was very disappointed today after my visit to Talbots at Desert Hills Premium Outlet. I went to return an item I had purchased online. Even though I had the receipt they did not know how to make a refund and said they could not return my money. Not only were the 2 ladies in the store extremely rude to me. They both obviously had no clue about customer service.
I then started to look around the store a bit. I asked them if they had any tunics. Neither one knew what a tunic was and they said they do not sell tunics......
Then I saw some tshirts that were kind of long and they were advertised for a good price. There was a huge sign saying $ 12.99. When they rang it up they wanted to charge me double of the adverstised price per shirt. I was going to buy 3. They did not honor the price of the sign saying that they have to charge whatever the computer says and that they are not able to make any changes to the price. They did not even say they were sorry for the mistake.
Needless to say I left the store without making a purchase. I will not be returning to the Talbots at Desert Hills Premium Outlet.
Talbots lost a great customer due to rude staff.

vall67
10/12/17

I live in Alberta, Canada. Received unaddressed coupon/flyer at my Canadian address for 25% off plus free shipping to use by oct 1. Went online and order two sweaters and a scarf. Not once did it advise it was in US currency, that it would be shipped out of the US or that I would be responsible for any customs/duty/excise taxes. Yesterday I received a bill from FedEx for $44 in customs and taxes. Called Talbot's customer line on my email receipt and that was when I learned my bill was also in USD!!! She went on and on that it says all this on the invoice and web site (it does not, i had my paperwork in front of me!!) and then when she turned around and said I could return the items to my Canadian Talbots and they would reimburse the FedEx bill or Talbot's would send a cheque, I was shocked. She explained that is what others have done in my situation..... so wait.... it is clearly outlined in writing and yet you have a procedure in place for when this happens, and other Canadians have called. Deceptive! I called my local Canadian Talbots and confirmed that I'm not the only one that has been deceived. In the end, what I thought was a bill for $142 has turned into $227.67 plus my time. Will never ever order from this company again.

maryw305
9/13/17

I have shopped at talbots for years but very sad in recent months to see such cheap shoddy clothes they are trying to pass off as classic. Talbots has lost there ability to excite the buyer with style and selection. I stopped by today hoping to buy something with my 15% of entire purchase. NO SUCH LUCK. The selection was horrible . Cheap fabric- dull colors- looked like a discount store. Sorry Talbots but please find people who know what they are doing. What is with all the silly brass buttons on sweaters and pants. So tacky and cheap. Pineapple print pants - really!!! Who do you think is going to buy this crap.Its embarssing to say the least. Get your act together.

sherryd38
8/8/17

I have shopped at Talbots's for years and have spent a decent amount of money there over the years, including this year. The sales associates are plain rude when you are making returns though. Today I went in the Dewitt, NY store and when the sales associate saw I had a return, she did not saw hello, had a dirty look on her face, and did not talk to me the entire time or make eye contact. Their all happy and helpful when you're buying something but rude and unprofessional when returns are made.

mariac229
7/5/17

I placed an order on line and received e-mail confirming receipt of order. They informed the item was in stock in the iScardsdale , NY store and they would be sending another e-mail to let me know when it was ready to be picked-up. Never received an e-mail. Called the store several times but nobody answer.
Called the number in the back of my talbots card and I was told they were placing a new order that I should be receiving by July 11th. I called again today and I was told
"sorry is no longer available". They should have told me from the beginning and that would save me a lot of time that I could use to look for a similar item at another company.
That shows how much consideration they have for their clients! No more talbots!....

6 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They used to have great stylish timeless clothing plus my size: wide but short, as far as I know they are the only ones carrying my correct size in pants.

By Zsuzsa R.

It is easy I would say, but I am an old member who spent quite a lot of money there.

By Zsuzsa R.

Legit, it is an old company but unfortunately with a new, sharper eye on profit.

By Zsuzsa R.
Questions? Get answers from the Talbots staff and other customers.

Talbots?