Review of Southtree

Tel: (866) 645 3358
info@southtree.com

patl65
11/23/17

My experience with Legacybox has been a nightmare and I would give only one recommendation...DO NOT EVER USE THEM!!! I thought I was lucky to have a Groupon to save a ton, but it was the beginning of a horrible ordeal still unresolved! First, I never got the original box, so months later I contacted them and they sent out another one. That should have been a warning sign! So it finally came and after months of sorting thru boxes of photos...some 100 years old...I sent off 600 photos, 15 VCR tapes and 1 8mm movie. I was busy thru the Summer and never gave it much thought until Sept and checked online to see it was in the process of Digitizing so I waited a few more weeks and when I looked again it had never moved! So I finally contacted someone and the end of Oct. and expressed my fear that my precious items had either been sent to someone else or been lost! I then received my box a few weeks later...but nothing had been processed and the movie was missing! I have now been weeks trying to get my money back from them with no luck! I am only thankful my entire box was not lost or destroyed...but my priceless movie is still amongst the missing! DO NOT USE LEGACYBOX...EVER!!!

michaelc543
11/22/17

Very pleased with their service! Received continual updates (i.e. "We received your package", "We've bar coded your items", "Your items are in our production cue", etc. My transfer from audio tape to cd was handled professionally and completed very well.

annel131
11/7/17

If you need to contact them, it's better to contact by email. The product was good delivered in a timely manner. Thanks again.

dianem148
10/24/17

Southtree did a great job changing my cassette music to a cd.. This was a special memory for me. If and when I decide to do this project again...I will call Southtree..I am very satisfied with the service.

tammym106
10/12/17

Southtree was very professional. They answered all of my questions in a very timely matter. All employees that I spoke with were very nice and respectful. I will definitely use them again.

kerib4
10/12/17

Each step of the way, they made you aware of their process. THAT is customer service, my friends. The product is awesome and my husband was ecstatic with his gift. I had Southtree put all of his baseball videos from college on disks so he could share them with our daughters, remember the memories that his father (now deceased) and he shared together and simply relive those memories and experiences.

donb126
9/7/17

From the beginning of the process until my purchases arrived at my door, Southtree kept me informed in what was going on and what to expect next. I am fully satisfied with the work that they did and the DVD quality that I got from them. I highly recommend this service to anyone that have cherished memories that they would like to preserve!

Tip for consumers: If you want to save money, sign up for their emails and you will get some great deals from the company.

itsybitsys
6/28/17

I purchased this service in order to create DVD backups of old family VHS cassettes. From the most basic perspective, this expectation was fulfilled. However the customer service was horrendous and details of my order were so grossly flawed that I will never recommend this company or use it again.

Before placing my order I did a lot of research on similar companies and to find reviews for this company's service. I felt confident that my family videos would be in good hands and I liked the idea that my package and conversion would be tracked online with updates.

When I noticed that my box of 10 VHS cassettes, very carefully packaged and using the printed label received from Southtree, had not yet been received by the company I contacted customer service via email. The reply said that it was normal and probably the result of "the weekend". Assuming a delay of about two days due to "the weekend", I expected it would be received and processed shortly thereafter.

After three weeks went by since my shipping date I again checked the status online, and again saw that the package had not even been received by Southtree. It is worth noting that I was shipping from Ohio to Tennessee, according to the Southtree mailing label.

I contacted customer service and was given a generic copy/paste response about how secure and special their shipping method is - but no response or explanation whatsoever about why it was taking so long, and no apology. Nothing on the Southtree site indicates such a gross delay in shipping *to* their facility, and all the website content assures buyers of a smooth process with updates at every step.

Within a day or so of my third message, now containing a lot of all caps words, I magically received a notice that my package had suddenly been received. (No human reply to my last message, however.) Then the tracking emails began trickling in, informing me of the each step in the process. I awaited the return of my originals and new DVD backups, hopeful that the result would make up for the horrific customer service.

When they arrived, my cassettes were not packaged nearly as carefully as I had sent them out. One of the cassettes was outside of its case, and there was no padding in the package. Then I opened the DVDs and started noticing that one, two, then *all* but two of the 10 DVDs had gross misspellings on the labels. Each of my VHS cassettes had properly spelled labels and all Southtree had to do was copy what was written, but they obviously did not. "Concert" is spelled "Concet". "Spring" is spelled "Sprinmg". And so on. Some letters were added; some were omitted. A simple spellcheck would have caught every single error - now printed on the labels of DVDs which were intended to be "archival" quality.

Next I watched the DVDs to see what the quality of the recordings might be. It's awful. Beyond terrible. There are no indexes, and the formats are different between different DVDs - some have tracks, others are all on one track. The video quality skips and is snowy / pixelated. The sound is distorted or missing altogether. Some DVDs appear to repeat the entire cassette's content a second time, which I suppose might be considered a bonus, but it makes it very difficult to fast forward or rewind to a specific spot. One might assume that these quality issues reflect the quality of the VHS cassettes, but it does not. In the majority of cases, the issues I found on the DVDs are not present on the original VHS cassettes.

This service really was a waste of my time, energy, and money, and was absolutely NOT worth the risk of sending out our family's original videocassettes. I would like to have my VHS cassettes backed up to DVD but I will look for a different company to convert the rest. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this company.

janinem20
6/4/17

I sent a VHS tape to be transferred to DVD. The DVD I received had no sound. I called and spoke to customer service and the promptly emailed me a return label. Great! The second DVD had no sound and after speaking with customer service I returned it again. Now I get the third DVD and while there is sound the picture is fuzzy and jumpy and hard to watch. AND I noticed that now there is now a sticker on my VHS tape the reads " this tape has some existing damage" There was NOTHING wrong with the tape when I sent it to Southtree and now they have possibly destroyed my original wedding video. I am sending the tape to another service and hopefully my tape is ok and I can get the job done right. And BTW, I have gotten no response from Southtree regarding the " damage".

lindag199
5/24/17

I took advantage of a deal I found for Southtree on Facebook. I sent in 10 tapes and was kept informed on each step of the process. The turnaround time was excellent. It was really great being able to see these old video but a couple had some damage that was disappointing. 4 stars is because one of my videos was labeled as a school show but only had about 45 seconds of something totally different. I wish I could have replaced that one or gotten a credit back. Seriously, it was obviously a mistake, but all mine I guess.

Tip for consumers: Be sure to review your old VHS tapes if you can because I ended up sending in one that had only about 45 seconds on it. My bad. But I was disappointed that I didn't have a chance to have sent in a replacement for that one. They don't fix anything already wrong with your video, but that is to be expected. Look for their deals.

wandar26
5/23/17

as in Barbra Streisand album.... forever on my mind. Thanks to the efficiency of Southtree I now can see family pictures right now all the way back to 1960's. I'm anxious to send some very old pictures. I trust this company completely with my treasures. The quality is just as great as the prices. Thank you Southtree.

brandys23
5/23/17

I must say my rating would be better if I was rating only my converted tapes. I have received my tapes back and so far everything seems in order.... THEN.... I received another box from them and to my surprise I received someone else order as well.. I have a box full of 8MM tapes that are not mine.. I first emailed Southtree asking for a return label as I cherish my memories and would hate to lose them but they kept telling me they were researching how to get me a return label?????? What?? I am overseas but I have access to the US Postal Service. It should not be that difficult.. I have contacted them, I have escalated to a supervisor and apparently not one of the people that works there can figure out how I can ship this via the US Post office.. Really?!? Needless to say I am still after two months of back and forth trying to get a return label to ship these tapes back to them.. I even asked them to give me the owner of the tapes email address as I am sure they would be willing to pay for the shipping themselves just to get their memories back.. DO NOT RISK YOUR MEMORIES WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

jenniferm107
4/27/17

Was a little pricey, but worth it for what they can do, IF done properly. Was impressed with the step by step emails I received, nice to get information through the process. Was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED when I received our items back. The video was put on to DVD, however there was no sound to it. The audio we had put on CD was horrible- it reminded us of the playback you get when watching ghost hunting shows- you don't hear anything other than a faint sound in the background.

We understand that they may not have been able to do any better, however then they shouldn't have processed the order and should have notified us. SO SAD that I don't have the audio in the video of my Dad or the audio of him playing guitar and singing.

Seriously not worth the amount we paid. We thought a "professional company" would have provided better service. I really feel like I was scammed :(

ericab48
4/25/17

Please be aware, this company LOST a priceless 8mm film that I sent to them to be converted to digital format. Do not trust them with your irreplaceable memories.

I purchased a deal from Living Social for a 3-item LegacyBox conversion kit (This company Southtree operates "LegacyBox" just in case this wasn't clear from previous reviews). Despite their 'intricate' tracking system that they boast about, one 8mm film that I sent in was never logged into their system. Upon receiving an email that only 2 of my 3 items were logged in, I emailed them immediately. Customer service suggested that I sent in an incompatible film format. As I informed them that this was not the case, my order was supposed to be reviewed before it was shipped back to me. It was not reviewed, but instead simply shipped back and only 2 of the 3 items I sent in were returned to me. I have been in contact with the customer service manager numerous times, who cannot give me any kind of detail about my case but only keeps answering that there is an 'open investigation' into locating my item. It has been over two months and if my film has not been found by now I have little faith that it will ever be located.

Just to be clear, I packed the three items to be converted myself and sent them in the box that was sent to me by LegacyBox. This was not a postal service error, it was an error on their part. I wish I had read these reviews before I chose to send these films in to be transferred, as I see that I am not the only one to have their items lost.

jamesr274
4/25/17

I saw the ad pop up on Facebook. It sparked my interest and made me start thinking about changing the format of the Hi8 videos that I have detailing special events in my family for the last 17 years. I was hesitant about sending the precious memories through the mail, but I needed to do it because the tapes were starting to show degradation. I checked quite a few local places and the costs were incredible. I kept sitting on the fence and finally decided to do it. I received an email with 45% off processing that I could not pass up. I packaged the 41 - Hi8 tapes I have and padded them up in the box. I followed the instructions that I received from Southtree for shipping my precious cargo and handed them over to the people at UPS. I am not going to lie when I tell you how worried I was. I thought about it all night after I dropped them off. The next day, I received notification from UPS and Southtree that my memories had arrived and I was kept updated by Southtree through the whole process. The turnaround was pretty short and I received a quality product copied over to DVD format. I opted for the thumb drive, and I cannot tell you how great it is to have 17 years of memories available to me on just one thumb drive. The quality of the DVDs is great and I have been reviewing the files on the thumb drive for days. Great job to Southtree!! Highly recommend them to everyone.

madeleineg6
3/21/17

I have had 20 VHS tapes digitized. Great quality.I needed help and the support person was great. I love the email updates so you know when they receive the tapes, when they start digitizing, etc. I highly recommend this company.

rachell186
2/11/17

All of my 21 Family tapes from my childhood are gone forever thanks to them. My heart is broken. From about 1989 to 2008. The day I was brought home from the hospital. My first birthday. The day I graduated highschool. Videos of my grandfather who passed away when I was 10. Gone forever. They mail their stuff back to you like it's trash apparently because it went missing in the mail and has been missing for 6 months

tomb256
2/8/17

I can't believe the wonderful job Southtree did converting my cassettes to CD. These cassettes are over 30 years old, and now on CD, they sound so clear and crisp. Thank You so much for a great job. I would recommend your company to anyone.

Tom Bomil

jbs6
1/23/17

First LegacyBox delivered my "memories" a month late. When I opened up the thumb drive I discovered that it was another family's digitized movies. When I called LegacyBox to inquire about what happened, they customer service rep was pathetic. LegacyBox had no record of where my thumb drive of my digitized movies had gone, and worse yet, no concern or acknowledgement that they had breached my and this other customer's privacy. I had to push for a reimbursement and for them to process my original order, it took the barely educated customer rep to do so. To add insult to injury, LegacyBox has still not A) delivered my original order and B) explained what happened. DO NOT INTRUST LEGACYBOX WITH ANY IMPORTANT CONTENT.

jenm58
1/4/17

If you want to lose your precious family memories and give them money, then go for it. Otherwise, use ANYONE else. They lose your stuff, then refuse to continue communicating with you and never offer a refund. They are a sham and should not be allowed to continue business. How could they possibly lose so many people's items?!?!? WTF.
Update 2/22: After I filed with the local BBB, I didn't hear anything for a while. Suddenly the date that Southtree/Legacybox was due to respond - they found my items. I have no idea where they were or how they lost them, but they were not with FedEx, they were at their facility. I received my original items back and the conversion files. I am so, so thankful to have my items back. Do not let up on them if they lose your items. They did a nice job converting the items, but the whole rigamarole of losing my items, denying knowledge of where they were, etc. I wouldn't trust them with my items in the future, but they did get my stuff back.

Tip for consumers: Make copies of your items before sending them in if at all possible. Be sure to barcode everything and keep notes of your transaction.

williamm273
12/27/16

I sent some priceless 8mm films for conversion - had a concern the first time that they were not done properly, they re- ran them and I was pleased with the results. Turnaround time was very reasonable.

jand69
12/12/16

I had many videos to convert to DVD. There was only 1 video that for some reason didn't transfer in its entirety. I called and they had me ship the VCR back to them (free of charge, I might add---nice!) for a senior tech to re-transfer. The DVD came back in no time and it was perfect. I would, and have, highly recommended their service. Thanks!!

cecilias9
12/10/16

I sent my VHS tape with memories from my childhood (my only copy). They sent my order through FedEx and I never received it. I emailed to get help and they just said "sorry for the inconvenience there's nothing we can do, contact FedEx". I contacted FedEx and they said they sent it using a 3rd party, USPS. I never could track the package and now I'm out my money as well as my family films. I will never use this service again.

rubym39
10/18/16

This is a great company i had purchased 3 coupons through groupon and they were fast, efficient, and kept me updated on the process till they were returned to me. I have also purchased additional packages and got the same great service. I would recommend to anyone. R. Mackey

franw15
10/12/16

I wanted to find a way to transfer my home movies from VHS to DVD. I came across Southtree on facebook and decided to take a chance. I was nervous at first, these are treasures of the heart. I sent in 20 tapes and with in a couple of weeks I recieved all my tapes back and all of the DVDs. Great quality, great work. I'm so happy and now gathering my next load of tapes to send in. I would recommend Southtree to anyone who wants to have their memories saved to dvd. Thank you Southtree!!

I was a real customer and dealt with hundreds of companies over the years. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this company to the point where I had to go through my credit card co to dispute the charge (and won, by the way). I gave them 50 tapes to convert from VHS to DVD. Each was specifically labeled and what was on each was very important to the project. I gave them more than ample time (over 2 months) to complete. After 8 weeks when I still didn't hear from them, I started contacting them and it took over a week to get a response. Within 2 weeks, they sent out the finished product just in time. Only to find out that 90% of those 50 tapes were mislabeled. I had to watch every single one and re label for the project I was working on and I had one day in which to do this. When I tried contacting them, all I was told was to send them back and they will re-label them all. After I was finished with the project I contacted them a few days later to get the mailing label to send back so at least I could have them correctly labeled on each DVD and never heard back. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

By Shari L.

Do not I repeat do not send them your precious memories Mina have yet to be returned and are most likely lost forever a lawsuit is my next option but no amount of money is going to ever replace those memories!!!

By Kim J.

Still waiting for my lost pictures. It's been months and they are no longer answering my emails. If your memories are important, find someplace else.

By Grace B.

Southtree lost most of my order once it arrived at their facility. They have yet to take any responsibility and responded to my BBB complaint with the comment that it is listed as a risk in their terms.They do not stand by their claims of safety and careful handling of media once something goes wrong. If you are not willing to lose your precious memories I would strongly suggest another company.

By Tracy M.

I had no problem opening. I played them on my dvd player

By Sharon P.

I have nothing but positives to say about Southtree. Call or email them with your concerns - they are super responsive.

By Stephany R.

I believe the difference is that a standard DVD plays in your DVD player and an Experience dvd csn play in a computer and you can share it online or by email with others.

By Danielle H.

If those are really precious, find someplace local where you can drop them off. This place has gotten too big and when they lose stuff, they initially act concerned and then if they can't find it, they stop talking to you.

By Grace B.
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Southtree