Review of Southtree

Tel: (800)656-6032
info@southtree.com

julieb685
2/17/19

I didn't realize I choose to only receive them on a jumpdrive so they helped me get the dvds I thought I ordered

keng165
2/17/19

anything that allows you to see your treasures and bring you back in time is a special treat! they always offer discounts which is nice since it's a pricy venture.

elizabethw317
2/17/19

I have used this service twice. Once for 8mm home movies and again for photos. The service was great and the process was easy. I called customer service on my last order to ask a question and the person was helpful and polite. I plan to use this service again, as I just cleaned out my mother's home and uncovered 90 plus years of photos. Also, I received my order back in 10 days. That may not be the norm, but I appreciated the prompt service.

artl30
2/2/19

Sent in a bunch of old tapes to have converted and put online.
A year later, without letting anyone know, the deleted all of the online media and told me it can't be recovered. On top of this, they continue to charge me for a service which they stopped providing, and refuse to refund.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Art! We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out to talk through potential solutions. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
lyndas74
1/6/19

Southtree took care of my priceless 16mm and 8mm films and sent them back digitally (with originals) very quickly. So wonderful to have these memories!

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
We are so glad that we could help you re live these memories, Lynda!
robertk579
12/20/18

I had 24 VHS tapes put on DVDs--the service was excellent, prompt, very reasonably priced and I received emails every step of the from the time my tapes were shipped, received, checked over, processed and sent back to me. The quality of the DVDs is superb. I'm so pleased I did this. Instead of having VHS tapes collecting dust in the basement now my wife and I are enjoying watching our children growing! I would highly recommend this service.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Thank you so much, Robert! That is wonderful! We are very happy that you are enjoying your DVDs!
lisal577
12/20/18

We've used Southtree twice to convert VHS and slides into a digital format and I am very pleased with their work. Once I placed my order I received emails explaining the status of my order. It may take some time but it is because they get it right the first time!!

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
That is great to hear, Lisa! We are SO glad that you chose us to digitize your memories!
dannyh90
9/26/18

It's been 2 weeks now, I got charged, and the cardboard box to ship photos back to them hasn't even showed up. What a joke

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Danny! We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out to talk through potential solutions. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
cassidyd4
9/22/18

This company is very unprofessional. They say that the service takes up to 6 weeks and this is week 10 and still I have no results. They couldn't convert one of my tapes and only refunded my 9$ and never told me prior to the service that there were any issues. This was supposed to be a mother's day gift and they made the experience terrible.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Cassidy, I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out several times to talk through potential solutions, by both email and phone. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
stacyl78
1/14/18

I waited to get my order, but when I did get my box it was very surprising. Instead of my childhood videos I was sent videos of men in their underwear dressing up in women's clothes getting high. Seriously. You can't even get a hold of anyone because they do not answer their phone. You can only contact them via email. What a terrible mistake. Now I have to worry who has my childhood videos since I clearly have someone else's videos.

Recent update 1/30/18 Southttree has refunded all of my money. They don't think my pin drive with my videos was jeopardized, but of course they don't know. Overall, I am happy to have my money back and I'll take my business elsewhere.

michaelc543
11/22/17

Very pleased with their service! Received continual updates (i.e. "We received your package", "We've bar coded your items", "Your items are in our production cue", etc. My transfer from audio tape to cd was handled professionally and completed very well.

annel131
11/7/17

If you need to contact them, it's better to contact by email. The product was good delivered in a timely manner. Thanks again.

dianem148
10/24/17

Southtree did a great job changing my cassette music to a cd.. This was a special memory for me. If and when I decide to do this project again...I will call Southtree..I am very satisfied with the service.

tammym106
10/12/17

Southtree was very professional. They answered all of my questions in a very timely matter. All employees that I spoke with were very nice and respectful. I will definitely use them again.

kerib4
10/12/17

Each step of the way, they made you aware of their process. THAT is customer service, my friends. The product is awesome and my husband was ecstatic with his gift. I had Southtree put all of his baseball videos from college on disks so he could share them with our daughters, remember the memories that his father (now deceased) and he shared together and simply relive those memories and experiences.

donb126
9/7/17

From the beginning of the process until my purchases arrived at my door, Southtree kept me informed in what was going on and what to expect next. I am fully satisfied with the work that they did and the DVD quality that I got from them. I highly recommend this service to anyone that have cherished memories that they would like to preserve!

Tip for consumers: If you want to save money, sign up for their emails and you will get some great deals from the company.

itsybitsys
6/28/17

I purchased this service in order to create DVD backups of old family VHS cassettes. From the most basic perspective, this expectation was fulfilled. However the customer service was horrendous and details of my order were so grossly flawed that I will never recommend this company or use it again.

Before placing my order I did a lot of research on similar companies and to find reviews for this company's service. I felt confident that my family videos would be in good hands and I liked the idea that my package and conversion would be tracked online with updates.

When I noticed that my box of 10 VHS cassettes, very carefully packaged and using the printed label received from Southtree, had not yet been received by the company I contacted customer service via email. The reply said that it was normal and probably the result of "the weekend". Assuming a delay of about two days due to "the weekend", I expected it would be received and processed shortly thereafter.

After three weeks went by since my shipping date I again checked the status online, and again saw that the package had not even been received by Southtree. It is worth noting that I was shipping from Ohio to Tennessee, according to the Southtree mailing label.

I contacted customer service and was given a generic copy/paste response about how secure and special their shipping method is - but no response or explanation whatsoever about why it was taking so long, and no apology. Nothing on the Southtree site indicates such a gross delay in shipping *to* their facility, and all the website content assures buyers of a smooth process with updates at every step.

Within a day or so of my third message, now containing a lot of all caps words, I magically received a notice that my package had suddenly been received. (No human reply to my last message, however.) Then the tracking emails began trickling in, informing me of the each step in the process. I awaited the return of my originals and new DVD backups, hopeful that the result would make up for the horrific customer service.

When they arrived, my cassettes were not packaged nearly as carefully as I had sent them out. One of the cassettes was outside of its case, and there was no padding in the package. Then I opened the DVDs and started noticing that one, two, then *all* but two of the 10 DVDs had gross misspellings on the labels. Each of my VHS cassettes had properly spelled labels and all Southtree had to do was copy what was written, but they obviously did not. "Concert" is spelled "Concet". "Spring" is spelled "Sprinmg". And so on. Some letters were added; some were omitted. A simple spellcheck would have caught every single error - now printed on the labels of DVDs which were intended to be "archival" quality.

Next I watched the DVDs to see what the quality of the recordings might be. It's awful. Beyond terrible. There are no indexes, and the formats are different between different DVDs - some have tracks, others are all on one track. The video quality skips and is snowy / pixelated. The sound is distorted or missing altogether. Some DVDs appear to repeat the entire cassette's content a second time, which I suppose might be considered a bonus, but it makes it very difficult to fast forward or rewind to a specific spot. One might assume that these quality issues reflect the quality of the VHS cassettes, but it does not. In the majority of cases, the issues I found on the DVDs are not present on the original VHS cassettes.

This service really was a waste of my time, energy, and money, and was absolutely NOT worth the risk of sending out our family's original videocassettes. I would like to have my VHS cassettes backed up to DVD but I will look for a different company to convert the rest. I absolutely DO NOT recommend this company.

janinem20
6/4/17

I sent a VHS tape to be transferred to DVD. The DVD I received had no sound. I called and spoke to customer service and the promptly emailed me a return label. Great! The second DVD had no sound and after speaking with customer service I returned it again. Now I get the third DVD and while there is sound the picture is fuzzy and jumpy and hard to watch. AND I noticed that now there is now a sticker on my VHS tape the reads " this tape has some existing damage" There was NOTHING wrong with the tape when I sent it to Southtree and now they have possibly destroyed my original wedding video. I am sending the tape to another service and hopefully my tape is ok and I can get the job done right. And BTW, I have gotten no response from Southtree regarding the " damage".

lindag199
5/24/17

I took advantage of a deal I found for Southtree on Facebook. I sent in 10 tapes and was kept informed on each step of the process. The turnaround time was excellent. It was really great being able to see these old video but a couple had some damage that was disappointing. 4 stars is because one of my videos was labeled as a school show but only had about 45 seconds of something totally different. I wish I could have replaced that one or gotten a credit back. Seriously, it was obviously a mistake, but all mine I guess.

Tip for consumers: Be sure to review your old VHS tapes if you can because I ended up sending in one that had only about 45 seconds on it. My bad. But I was disappointed that I didn't have a chance to have sent in a replacement for that one. They don't fix anything already wrong with your video, but that is to be expected. Look for their deals.

wandar26
5/23/17

as in Barbra Streisand album.... forever on my mind. Thanks to the efficiency of Southtree I now can see family pictures right now all the way back to 1960's. I'm anxious to send some very old pictures. I trust this company completely with my treasures. The quality is just as great as the prices. Thank you Southtree.

brandys23
5/23/17

I must say my rating would be better if I was rating only my converted tapes. I have received my tapes back and so far everything seems in order.... THEN.... I received another box from them and to my surprise I received someone else order as well.. I have a box full of 8MM tapes that are not mine.. I first emailed Southtree asking for a return label as I cherish my memories and would hate to lose them but they kept telling me they were researching how to get me a return label?????? What?? I am overseas but I have access to the US Postal Service. It should not be that difficult.. I have contacted them, I have escalated to a supervisor and apparently not one of the people that works there can figure out how I can ship this via the US Post office.. Really?!? Needless to say I am still after two months of back and forth trying to get a return label to ship these tapes back to them.. I even asked them to give me the owner of the tapes email address as I am sure they would be willing to pay for the shipping themselves just to get their memories back.. DO NOT RISK YOUR MEMORIES WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

jenniferm107
4/27/17

Was a little pricey, but worth it for what they can do, IF done properly. Was impressed with the step by step emails I received, nice to get information through the process. Was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED when I received our items back. The video was put on to DVD, however there was no sound to it. The audio we had put on CD was horrible- it reminded us of the playback you get when watching ghost hunting shows- you don't hear anything other than a faint sound in the background.

We understand that they may not have been able to do any better, however then they shouldn't have processed the order and should have notified us. SO SAD that I don't have the audio in the video of my Dad or the audio of him playing guitar and singing.

Seriously not worth the amount we paid. We thought a "professional company" would have provided better service. I really feel like I was scammed :(

ericab48
4/25/17

Please be aware, this company LOST a priceless 8mm film that I sent to them to be converted to digital format. Do not trust them with your irreplaceable memories.

I purchased a deal from Living Social for a 3-item LegacyBox conversion kit (This company Southtree operates "LegacyBox" just in case this wasn't clear from previous reviews). Despite their 'intricate' tracking system that they boast about, one 8mm film that I sent in was never logged into their system. Upon receiving an email that only 2 of my 3 items were logged in, I emailed them immediately. Customer service suggested that I sent in an incompatible film format. As I informed them that this was not the case, my order was supposed to be reviewed before it was shipped back to me. It was not reviewed, but instead simply shipped back and only 2 of the 3 items I sent in were returned to me. I have been in contact with the customer service manager numerous times, who cannot give me any kind of detail about my case but only keeps answering that there is an 'open investigation' into locating my item. It has been over two months and if my film has not been found by now I have little faith that it will ever be located.

Just to be clear, I packed the three items to be converted myself and sent them in the box that was sent to me by LegacyBox. This was not a postal service error, it was an error on their part. I wish I had read these reviews before I chose to send these films in to be transferred, as I see that I am not the only one to have their items lost.

jamesr274
4/25/17

I saw the ad pop up on Facebook. It sparked my interest and made me start thinking about changing the format of the Hi8 videos that I have detailing special events in my family for the last 17 years. I was hesitant about sending the precious memories through the mail, but I needed to do it because the tapes were starting to show degradation. I checked quite a few local places and the costs were incredible. I kept sitting on the fence and finally decided to do it. I received an email with 45% off processing that I could not pass up. I packaged the 41 - Hi8 tapes I have and padded them up in the box. I followed the instructions that I received from Southtree for shipping my precious cargo and handed them over to the people at UPS. I am not going to lie when I tell you how worried I was. I thought about it all night after I dropped them off. The next day, I received notification from UPS and Southtree that my memories had arrived and I was kept updated by Southtree through the whole process. The turnaround was pretty short and I received a quality product copied over to DVD format. I opted for the thumb drive, and I cannot tell you how great it is to have 17 years of memories available to me on just one thumb drive. The quality of the DVDs is great and I have been reviewing the files on the thumb drive for days. Great job to Southtree!! Highly recommend them to everyone.

madeleineg6
3/21/17

I have had 20 VHS tapes digitized. Great quality.I needed help and the support person was great. I love the email updates so you know when they receive the tapes, when they start digitizing, etc. I highly recommend this company.

I was a real customer and dealt with hundreds of companies over the years. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this company to the point where I had to go through my credit card co to dispute the charge (and won, by the way). I gave them 50 tapes to convert from VHS to DVD. Each was specifically labeled and what was on each was very important to the project. I gave them more than ample time (over 2 months) to complete. After 8 weeks when I still didn't hear from them, I started contacting them and it took over a week to get a response. Within 2 weeks, they sent out the finished product just in time. Only to find out that 90% of those 50 tapes were mislabeled. I had to watch every single one and re label for the project I was working on and I had one day in which to do this. When I tried contacting them, all I was told was to send them back and they will re-label them all. After I was finished with the project I contacted them a few days later to get the mailing label to send back so at least I could have them correctly labeled on each DVD and never heard back. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

By Shari L.

Do not I repeat do not send them your precious memories Mina have yet to be returned and are most likely lost forever a lawsuit is my next option but no amount of money is going to ever replace those memories!!!

By Kim J.

Still waiting for my lost pictures. It's been months and they are no longer answering my emails. If your memories are important, find someplace else.

By Grace B.

Southtree lost most of my order once it arrived at their facility. They have yet to take any responsibility and responded to my BBB complaint with the comment that it is listed as a risk in their terms.They do not stand by their claims of safety and careful handling of media once something goes wrong. If you are not willing to lose your precious memories I would strongly suggest another company.

By Tracy M.

I had no problem opening. I played them on my dvd player

By Sharon P.

I have nothing but positives to say about Southtree. Call or email them with your concerns - they are super responsive.

By Stephany R.

I labeled the VHS tapes (the ones I knew). They sent back a DVD for each VHS tape.

By Jennifer M.

You can copy them.

By Grace B.

I believe the difference is that a standard DVD plays in your DVD player and an Experience dvd csn play in a computer and you can share it online or by email with others.

By Danielle H.

If those are really precious, find someplace local where you can drop them off. This place has gotten too big and when they lose stuff, they initially act concerned and then if they can't find it, they stop talking to you.

By Grace B.
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Southtree