Review of Southtree

info@southtree.com

wendyh227
Wendy H.
5/18/19

Amazing communication, great service that's super simple to use. I was very pleased. I've been wanting to digitize my tapes for years and Southtree made the process so easy! I would highly recommend!

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Thank you, Wendy! We are so excited and thankful you chose us to od this for you!!
valerieh174
5/9/19

We found a cassette tape that had a recording of my husbands deceased brother on it, we were afraid to play it in case it got ruined, so I sent it to Southtree and we received the original and 2 cds back and now I can make copies of it for each of my husbands siblings and nieces and nephews that would like the keepsake. Thank you so much Southtree!

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hi Valerie! We are so honored you chose us to preserve the wonderful memories of your husband! We can imagine meaningful that was to relive. Let us know if you need anything, thanks, again, for being an amazing customer!
shirleym202
4/24/19

Actually I am disappointed. I took the extra 3 reels of Super 8 reels I had to Wal-Mart (Yesvideo) (because you only had specific amounts I could get so I did the 24 but had 27 reels). They only charged me 33.03 for all 3 charging by the feet actually transferred not the number of reels and not only did I get the film on a DVD at no extra charge, 33.03 was total for everthing) but the included dozens of snapshots from the movies, also printed some on the DVD case and 3 choices where music was a background if I want to use them, then a week later the even sent me access to online viewing of photos & quality was just as good. I ordered from Southtree during the half off deal and paid 229.95 for 24 reels and only received them on a thumb drive and would've had to pay 40.00 more if I wanted a DVD, Yesvideo didn't charge extra for the first DVD & I could've gotten additional medias for less than 10.00 and also am able as with Southtree able to make my own copies. I know where I will go in the future and it will be "YESVIDEO" I would've saved money & gotten more for my money also. If I hadn't gotten the before Christmas half price offer it would've cost me over 400.00 and you wanted to charge an additional 45.00 for the 3 extra reels without all the extras Yessvideo included that I only paid 33.03 for. Very disappointed!!!

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hi Shirley! We hate to hear you were not happy with the service. It does sound like the transfer itself was great but, you weren't happy about the price. I do understand the need to be cost effective and that's why we run many specials on our services as we want every customer to get a great deal! We advertise on Groupon, Morning Save, Amazon, Zulily, among many many other companies who offer our services. However, we do not price match or price compete. The product we provide and the very attentive hands-on care is meaningful to our customers and our pricing reflects those values as a name you can trust.
bettys158
4/21/19

Southtree did a fantastic job in turning a 48-year-old audio tape into a digital version. I appreciate how they kept me informed of the status of my project as it progressed to completion. I would recommend their service without reservation.

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hi Betty, thank you for allowing us to bring your 48yr old Audio Tapes back to life!
jenniferb811
4/21/19

I had old cassettes from the 70's -90's with NO market value but priceless sentimental value..... I sent them to Southtree - afraid of what might happen but I was SO HAPPY with the results.... I cried all the way through the "reunions" - I hope to find more to send them soon - GREAT customer service all the way through the process and WONDERFUL results!!! I am still swooning!

Tip for consumers: Customer service is readily available and easy to work with - talk to them! :) Bundling is also a great way to save $$

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hey Jennifer, Thank you for trusting us with these PRICELESS memories! We appreciate the love!
hkays
4/6/19

Each time I send off VHS tapes to Southtree, I am surprised at what I get back. Most of my family tapes are more than 20 years old and still they are able to save precious memories and return them to me. Hearing my Dad's voice after her has been gone 23 years, and his laugh, wonderful. Do yours today, you will be glad you did.

Tip for consumers: Send what you can, starting with your oldest first, they will save waht they can out of an old tape and you will be surprised what you have missed seeing.

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hi H!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback and for sharing your experience so that other families may have their memories safely preserved! It was an honor and should you need anything in the future or have other items to digitize, let us know and reference your review of us!
tenniac
3/16/19

I'm a retired musician and have a lot of cassette tapes of my gigs over the years. I didn't want to lose the memories or the music so I sent them to Southtree and in less than a week they were back. I was so impressed that this week I sent in some mini camera movies and can't wait for the DVD. This service is PERFECT. period

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hey Tennia! Thank you a TON for your awesome feedback! Rock on, we loved digitizing your order! If you need anything at all, please let us know!
eda89
3/11/19

I've now sent in three total orders covering a LOT of media, including 8mm,VHS, and Betamax format, and 35mm slides. None of my orders were all one format, but a mix. While the service and quality is excellent, albeit a bit slow (which is fine as I'd rather the techs take their time and get it right!), I find the process of creating an order to be a nightmare. The system is based on a "piece" model, where a single video reel or tape is a single "piece", the order form requires one to select 3, 6, 12, 24, or 48 total tapes "pieces". What if I have 20? What if I want slides? First you need to figure out that a "piece" constitutes 25 slides... then you could organize 100 slides, or 4 pieces of slides... then I could add those 4 pieces to my 20 video/movie items to make up a 24 piece order (20 movie/video pieces and 4 35mm slides (100 slides)...

I don't know how to do it better, but I'd prefer the ability to create my own bundle of whatever number of movies I may have; and, have a "per slide" scan cost and simply count up all my slides and pay a per-piece cost and done. In that way I can easily leave all my slides in their existing box of 24 or 36 slides, WHICH are then also logically grouped into a chronology from first to last. Instead they end up in zip-lock bags of 25 slides, with a single "piece-numbered" bar code. I find it confusing to place my order without a customer service rep to assist, and very tedious to package them up. I strongly suspect I'll encounter the same when I decide to tackle all my photo albums, which are generally populated by topic of some kind.

Sort out a better way to order, and this review goes to 5 stars immediately!

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hey Ed! Thank you for your constructive feedback about our service! Sorry that the ordering process was a bit cumbersome, it sounds like. However, if you need help placing an order, our CS team is always there to help! We'd be happy to get you the BEST deal we have running and ensure that you're able to select everything you need. Thank you, again!
alexanderl75
3/8/19

I sent in four super 8mm films and one 16mm film (double perf). The whole process took about a month or two, which is perfectly reasonable to me as I'm not in any rush. All of the super 8mm films were scanned, but the 16mm film was returned unscanned, although I was not charged for the 16mm film. The scans of the super 8 films were of decent quality, especially for the price of $15 per film. The files I got were mp4 files with a resolution of 720 x 480 with a bitrate of 3310kbps at 17 frames per second. I'd say that they are good for draft/general purpose use. It is an inexpensive way to see what is on a reel of film and to decide if you want to spend the money to send it to a high end film lab for a high resolution telecine transfer.

I'm disappointed that my 16mm film wasn't transferred and I never really received a reason why other than "the lab was unable to transfer your film". The website says that they can transfer 16mm films, so I'm not sure why mine was rejected.

I look forward to using Southtree in the future as I purchase a lot of films that need a quick, inexpensive digital copy.

I have included 3 still frames from one of the super 8mm films that they transferred for me.

Tip for consumers: Film is charged per reel, regardless of length. If you are able, you should splice several smaller films on to one large reel so you can reduce the total amount of reels that you are charged for.

Response from Jessica C., Southtree Representative
Hey Alexander! Thank you SO much for your kind words and feedback. We are so glad that we could preserve your film reels and provide you a product that you can relive and enjoy forever! If you have questions about your 16MM film, we'd love to help! Email us at Info@southtree.com
bradfordh25
3/8/19

After consolidating our household over the last year, we decided to have reels of film and many slides digitized. Our thought was to save these cherished memories sooner than later. Also, by digitizing, you can finally throw the old film reels and slides into the trash. Who has the room these days? We were very pleased with the results to date. The longer you wait, the older the film, slides, tapes, and photos get. Do it now!

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
That is wonderful, Bradford! We definitely agree! Digitizing these precious memories is a must!
traciel11
3/8/19

I have used Southtree for photographs, cassette tapes, and video tapes. I've been very happy with the quality. If there is some issue, their customer service is excellent! I highly recommend this company.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Thank you so much, Tracie! We are glad that you chose us to digitize your photos, cassette tapes and video tapes!
julieb685
2/17/19

I didn't realize I choose to only receive them on a jumpdrive so they helped me get the dvds I thought I ordered

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
We are glad to heave helped, Julie! Thank you for choosing us to digitize your memories!
keng165
2/17/19

anything that allows you to see your treasures and bring you back in time is a special treat! they always offer discounts which is nice since it's a pricy venture.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Thank you, Ken! Yes, we definitely agree! What an amazing thing to be able to re live these special memories!
elizabethw317
2/17/19

I have used this service twice. Once for 8mm home movies and again for photos. The service was great and the process was easy. I called customer service on my last order to ask a question and the person was helpful and polite. I plan to use this service again, as I just cleaned out my mother's home and uncovered 90 plus years of photos. Also, I received my order back in 10 days. That may not be the norm, but I appreciated the prompt service.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Thank you for choosing us to digitize your memories, Elizabeth! We are super excited to digitize more for you!
artl30
2/2/19

Sent in a bunch of old tapes to have converted and put online.
A year later, without letting anyone know, the deleted all of the online media and told me it can't be recovered. On top of this, they continue to charge me for a service which they stopped providing, and refuse to refund.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Art! We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out to talk through potential solutions. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
lyndas74
1/6/19

Southtree took care of my priceless 16mm and 8mm films and sent them back digitally (with originals) very quickly. So wonderful to have these memories!

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
We are so glad that we could help you re live these memories, Lynda!
robertk579
12/20/18

I had 24 VHS tapes put on DVDs--the service was excellent, prompt, very reasonably priced and I received emails every step of the from the time my tapes were shipped, received, checked over, processed and sent back to me. The quality of the DVDs is superb. I'm so pleased I did this. Instead of having VHS tapes collecting dust in the basement now my wife and I are enjoying watching our children growing! I would highly recommend this service.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Thank you so much, Robert! That is wonderful! We are very happy that you are enjoying your DVDs!
lisal577
12/20/18

We've used Southtree twice to convert VHS and slides into a digital format and I am very pleased with their work. Once I placed my order I received emails explaining the status of my order. It may take some time but it is because they get it right the first time!!

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
That is great to hear, Lisa! We are SO glad that you chose us to digitize your memories!
dannyh90
9/26/18

It's been 2 weeks now, I got charged, and the cardboard box to ship photos back to them hasn't even showed up. What a joke

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Danny! We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out to talk through potential solutions. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
cassidyd4
9/22/18

This company is very unprofessional. They say that the service takes up to 6 weeks and this is week 10 and still I have no results. They couldn't convert one of my tapes and only refunded my 9$ and never told me prior to the service that there were any issues. This was supposed to be a mother's day gift and they made the experience terrible.

Response from Tosha C., Southtree Representative
Hello Cassidy, I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your experience. We always want to make sure that you're satisfied. That said, we'd love the opportunity to make this right. We've tried reaching out several times to talk through potential solutions, by both email and phone. When you have a minute, please reach out to us at info@southtree.com or 800-656-6032 so we can discuss. Once we connect, we're sure we can find a great solution.
stacyl78
1/14/18

I waited to get my order, but when I did get my box it was very surprising. Instead of my childhood videos I was sent videos of men in their underwear dressing up in women's clothes getting high. Seriously. You can't even get a hold of anyone because they do not answer their phone. You can only contact them via email. What a terrible mistake. Now I have to worry who has my childhood videos since I clearly have someone else's videos.

Recent update 1/30/18 Southttree has refunded all of my money. They don't think my pin drive with my videos was jeopardized, but of course they don't know. Overall, I am happy to have my money back and I'll take my business elsewhere.

michaelc543
11/22/17

Very pleased with their service! Received continual updates (i.e. "We received your package", "We've bar coded your items", "Your items are in our production cue", etc. My transfer from audio tape to cd was handled professionally and completed very well.

annel131
11/7/17

If you need to contact them, it's better to contact by email. The product was good delivered in a timely manner. Thanks again.

dianem148
10/24/17

Southtree did a great job changing my cassette music to a cd.. This was a special memory for me. If and when I decide to do this project again...I will call Southtree..I am very satisfied with the service.

tammym106
10/12/17

Southtree was very professional. They answered all of my questions in a very timely matter. All employees that I spoke with were very nice and respectful. I will definitely use them again.

I was a real customer and dealt with hundreds of companies over the years. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this company to the point where I had to go through my credit card co to dispute the charge (and won, by the way). I gave them 50 tapes to convert from VHS to DVD. Each was specifically labeled and what was on each was very important to the project. I gave them more than ample time (over 2 months) to complete. After 8 weeks when I still didn't hear from them, I started contacting them and it took over a week to get a response. Within 2 weeks, they sent out the finished product just in time. Only to find out that 90% of those 50 tapes were mislabeled. I had to watch every single one and re label for the project I was working on and I had one day in which to do this. When I tried contacting them, all I was told was to send them back and they will re-label them all. After I was finished with the project I contacted them a few days later to get the mailing label to send back so at least I could have them correctly labeled on each DVD and never heard back. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

By Shari L.

Do not I repeat do not send them your precious memories Mina have yet to be returned and are most likely lost forever a lawsuit is my next option but no amount of money is going to ever replace those memories!!!

By Kim J.

Still waiting for my lost pictures. It's been months and they are no longer answering my emails. If your memories are important, find someplace else.

By Grace B.

Southtree lost most of my order once it arrived at their facility. They have yet to take any responsibility and responded to my BBB complaint with the comment that it is listed as a risk in their terms.They do not stand by their claims of safety and careful handling of media once something goes wrong. If you are not willing to lose your precious memories I would strongly suggest another company.

By Tracy M.

I had no problem opening. I played them on my dvd player

By Sharon P.

I just had 45 or so 8mm 3" reel from back in the 70's thru early 80's (when I went Hi8), a dozen VHS and two Betamax tapes done. I've yet to review them all but spot checks indicate that everything came out fine

By Ed A.

I labeled the VHS tapes (the ones I knew). They sent back a DVD for each VHS tape.

By Jennifer M.

You can copy them.

By Grace B.

I believe the difference is that a standard DVD plays in your DVD player and an Experience dvd csn play in a computer and you can share it online or by email with others.

By Danielle H.

If those are really precious, find someplace local where you can drop them off. This place has gotten too big and when they lose stuff, they initially act concerned and then if they can't find it, they stop talking to you.

By Grace B.
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other customers.

11 Photos for Southtree