Review of Sittercity

Tel: 1-888-748-2489
support@sittercity.com

sushd2
7/8/19

Stay away from sitterysity, Care.com is much better when it comes to customer support and Nannies available. i had horrible experience, first of you send 100 emails taking paid subscription and none of them respond to your post.

sarahf266
7/1/19

It was extremely difficult to use & find a sitter. Although I set criteria, sitters would message me and apply for the job but require completely different salaries. It was a complete waste of time. Better luck with Bambino, Urban Sitter, or even Nextdoor. They must bank on automatically renewing subscriptions and parents forgetting to cancel. Customer service was bad

maym42
7/1/19

They purposely designed the account setting without the option to cancel the membership to make it difficult to cancel. So they can do automatically renew without notifying you. Meanwhile, I found there are more reply emails to your post before you become a member. Not sure, it is scam or not. But not happy about their service at all.

alexl337
6/15/19

They rather focus on charging parents reoccuring subscriptions than actually earning the business the right way. They do not answer their customer service line because they know everyone is calling about the same issue. I did not authorize the charge as it was my ex girlfriend's account

jeremiahb60
6/11/19

After trying to contact about a dozen listed potential sitter I was finally able to establish contact with one person. After much back and forth with this person we finally agreed to meet. The night before we were going to meet up, they backed out and never tried to reschedule. I contacted the company about a refund and got a hard no. No attempt to fix anything, just a stern repeat of the no refunds policy.

sarahp383
6/10/19

This company is very deceiving. I signed up for the one month service to find a babysitter. After the one month I was led to believe that they would no longer debit my account. Two months later I realized they had a recurring debit of $35 each month. When I called the number listed for sittercity it took forever to actually get through to a person to speak about my account. When I was actually able to get in touch with someone, I was told that in the agreement it states that it will be a recurring payment and they will not issue refunds. So I lost $70 plus I never even found a sitter for my children. I do not recommend using sittercity.com.

patriciaw341
6/8/19

NO NOT USE THIS SERVICE! We wish we could select zero stars. Pay attention to the one-star reviews of Sittercity -- there is a reason for that! Also note that they do not accept Google Pay or Apple Pay -- credit card ONLY. There is a reason for this, as other reviewers have consistently noted. This company practices dishonest billing practices. We signed up for a 3-month "premium" account because it was the only way we could contact potential pet sitters. Everything about the sign-up for this makes it seem as if you are signing up for a defined period of time (in our case, 3 months). Instead, when you sign up for the premium account, you are unknowingly signing up for an auto-pay subscription service -- with no advance notification that you will be billed (such as the transparent and ethical way in which Amazon and Netflix notify subscribers). The fee is just deducted from your bank account and when you call on that same day to explain that you did not sign up for an additional 3 months (while the charge is still pending), no one answers the phone. And no one ever will -- the message is "we are either in a meeting or on the phone." We called more than 20 times on that first day and a handful of times the following day. When you send an email, you are assigned a case number, but you will never receive a response. On that same day, I reached out to customer service on the website and got nothing but canned responses ("All of our Premium Membership plans are subscription based and automatically renew unless canceled, as stated on the sign-up page, on your receipt, and in our Terms of Use. Members have the option to cancel at any time through their Account Settings or by calling, chatting, or emailing our Customer Success team. We understand that life is busy and it can be easy to overlook our auto-renew policy. We routinely review our communications, and your feedback is very helpful as we look to reduce the potential for confusion."). Is this true? Yes -- but trust us, there is no place where that information is prominently explained. Instead, after we checked, we were satisfied that the 3-month period is all we were signing up for. Obviously, Sittercity's business model relies on people not reading the fine print. While they may not legally have to notify you that they are billing you, this is the ethical, transparent way to conduct business. More disturbing are the reviews that state that even after cancellation, Sittercity continued to deduct payment. This is why I feel compelled to warn others, so that they will be saved from the same grief.

lesliem217
6/6/19

This is a recurring charge even though you sign up of 1 month. IT IS a scam!!!!!
By the way no one EVER responded to my requests. what a wast of money!!!!!

michellen176
5/31/19

I have tried to cancel my membership several times. I even disputed the charges with Amex but Sittercity can't find my account but they can keep charging me. HORRIBLE! DISGUSTING COMPANY!! A TOTAL RIP OFF!

brianb747
5/28/19

This company practices dishonest billing practices. Buyer beware! We were forced to pay for an additional 3 months of service which we did not want. Sittercity would not refund us even though we cancelled on the day they billed us. We filed a dispute and sittercity fought us on that too and had our dispute overturned. I will fight this out of principle and be filing a complaint with the BBB and reopening the credit card dispute as well. Do not give this company your credit card if you aren't prepared to be charged without your consent.

joannal45
5/20/19

Biggest scam out there paid over 100 bucks and never hired anyone. I contacted them on the my payment was going through and that wouldn't cancel. $105 for absolutely NOTHING and they don't send you a heads up email that your payment is going through. Scam I'm posting this on LinkedIn and every Facebook group I'm part of

jeromed46
5/8/19

We canceled our service only to realize 18 months later they were still billing us. No help at all in getting this resolved. Stay away!!!

alexish73
5/1/19

I signed up for services from sittercity.com. After spending almost $150 on membership fees alone without having any success using their site, I downgraded my membership. I reached out to them when I was billed another $70 just for membership services to notify them of the error since I had already downgraded. They neglected the entire issue but instead stated that their policy mentions that there are no refunds. Not only that, but I am unable to remove my card information. Also, at the end of the response, Stephanie B. Proceeds to tell me that she will be closing my support ticket. So basically they are free to continue to charge my card and contacting them through support is useless.

I have been going back and forth with them constantly repeating my issue through the complaint system with the Better Business Bureau. They have actually acknowledged the entire conversation with their support team, but then proceeds to tell me that this is the first time I have contacted them... come on now pick a side. It can't be both. They continue to insist that they have no record of any prior downgrade... which I have now done TWICE, and also now that they have billed me for another 3 months, they can delete my account but the 3 months that they have billed me for will still not be refunded. What in the world is really going on here. Not to mention whomever I am speaking to from their department seems to not care about the issue at hand and be snobby with their responses. Very unprofessional. Still at this point, I'm out every penny I have been charged and their bright idea for a solution is to delete my account and keep ALL my money even though they have charged me for another 3 months. Someone over there isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That's the BEST solution they have come up with. No my dear, that won't cut it.

deirdrem28
4/2/19

Terrible customer service, definitely a scam.
Wouldn't help me at all without buying package.
Stay FAR away

kristym72
3/26/19

They give you choices of a ONE MONTH subscription or three month and so on. When you do more than one month the cost is cheaper so clearly if your planning on using the site more than one month you would choose the cheaper options however if your only planning on using for one month you would chose that option. The one month option is deceiving and they continue to charge you month after month even when you don't use the site more than the one month you thought you paid for. The customer service reps are rude and will not let you talk to a manager and will not even look into your account to confirm that you haven't used it and are still being charged! This site is horrible and not customer friendly at all! They do not care about their customers and only care about the deceiving ways they are making their money and will not refund you your money even when site hasn't been used!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS SITE, DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!!! TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!!!

ev23
3/9/19

Months after realizing that sittercity was continuing to charge my credit card, I sent them an email requesting that the charges be stopped and money refunded. Four months later, I'm still being charged. When I addressed it via online chat (because they don't answer phones on weekends), the rude agent on the other end essentially once again claims she closed my account and blamed me for not following up immediately after my first complaint to ensure the appropriate action had been taken. They know they've been charging me for years for absolutely no services. They have been asked multiple times to close my account and discontinue all charges. Beware of this service. They will take your money any way they can get it.

danies9
3/4/19

Dishonest, rude and incompetent customer service. I believe they are scamming families. I signed up and within the first couple hours I found an awesome family and we exchanging messages via their site. Unfortunately, we didn't get to exchange normal contact info before the site kicked me off with no warning and no explanation. When I contacted them they told me I was permanently kicked off the site. When I asked for an explanation they wouldn't give me one. I asked to speak to a supervisor and the lady told me no, and that she was deleting our conversations and that was that. I was offered nothing. Just a complete joke and waste of time. Now I feel like they have left me in the dark and the family I was communicating with no answers either and it just looks like I'm totally unreliable. Unbelievable. The longer they keep families on there the more money they make. I recommend using a different site. Don't waste your time and reputation on a lowsey, unprofessional and ethically horrible site.

heidiw63
11/19/18

If they determine, by some mysterious method, that you are advertising for a business and not personally they up your rate from 98.00 per month to 150.00 per month! Even if that were the case they won't keep any business gouging like that! The would be much better served by a modest increase not by gouging businesses. Also have seen some pretty awful things happen lately on Sitter City that have been on the news!!

michellem640
10/26/18

I usually never like to write reviews but due to my experience i think its important to do so to alert those who are baby sitters and use this site. There are bad people in this world trying to do harm by making us feel bad for their situations making us think they are desperate to find baby sitter whiling to pay any number of money you give them to create any schedule you want. DO NOT & i repeat DO NOT give your home address do not accept any pays in advance. These people try send u checks in advance and sometimes may send you a lot more money tgan they promissed as soon as you deposit your check they have access to your accounts and you have to pay the bank because they are fake checks. I spoke to a police officer made a report about my situation that involved them wanting me to work regardless that i had a 2 month lld son they said bring him along that they wanted to meet , i needed to do errands for them are also signs of not just fraud but possible sex and human traffiking. Please be careful to those who are females young nanys mostly be alert to whom you speak through these job sites and pay attention to the signs. I caught my situation on time thanks to my husband getting a bad feeling and stopping me from depositing the check but for other people it might be too late, make sure you dont put your family or yourself at risk.

arthurt44
9/19/18

Took stolen credit card information and charged me a "renewal fee". What a joke. My son, only child, has not needed sitting sevices in years. Stay away from this company. In my experience, when a company resorts to fraud it's a last ditched effort to steal on the way out. Shame on this company.

sunnyd20
8/9/18

No jobs unless you pay them their monthly fee. Don't believe me? Try it. I answered every single job posting there was in my city just to see if I would get a response. Not a single response. This made me question the authenticity of the "job posting" itself.
Made me think they were fictitious.
What I did get however, were daily emails from the site telling me in order to "get noticed", I would have to pay them every month.
Thinking about coming up with a site myself called "Just Give Me Money" and not providing any service. GENIUS!

I unsubscribed and I closed my account.

jecc
6/10/18

They never ever tell you they are billing you monthly, completely shady and dishonest. When you finally notice, they say read the fine print and no refund!!

rachelm266
6/7/18

I have to agree with all of the reviews I have been reading on Sittercity. They are completely dishonest. I created a profile and had someone contact me and now I have to pay $30 just to reply!!! I emailed their customer service and this was their response:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I am happy to clarify.

Under the Basic (free) membership, you can post your available job for and view profiles. Once you are receiving applications from sitters that you would like to contact directly, you will need to upgrade your account to a Premium paying membership to gain direct contact with any sitter on our site. This is our model. To upgrade your account, you can go to 'Account Settings' then 'Upgrade to Premium Membership' and select the subscription of your choice.

After you connect with a sitter on our site who is a good fit for your family, you can cancel your membership with Sittercity and move forward independently with that care provider.

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way.

Thanks,
Stephanie B.

Cancelling meant I was out $30. I would stay away from this business!

lisat263
5/6/18

I signed up for a 1 free month trial and got tricked into deceptive and dishonest billing practices.
I feel like this company violated my trust and naïvety.
I agreed in August 2017 to pay $0 for ONE month of their service and was asked to give my visa info.
I usually avoid any site asking for my Visa info stipulating that I can cancel any time" because I know some companies continue to charge after canceling, but I was desperate to find a sitter for my old little cat.
Not to mention that after spending hours making a profile, writing your add, uploading photos etc., when ou finally get answers they wont let you read/answer them unless you give your bank info!!

9 months later, I noticed that they have been auto-debiting $35 from my account every month
A total of $315.
Of course, Im kicking myself that it's taken me so long to notice, I am an auto-entrepreneur, I work hard on construction sites and yes, I can be unorganized with my paperwork
I never received an invoice.
I never agreed to go Premium or to pay anything.
It has been done in my back, without my consent.
What is not acceptable is the lack of communication when it comes to payments.
When we pay our phone, our internet, our electric (etc.), providers send us invoices.
Sittercity, on the other hand, is charging us right at the source without letting us know and that is not acceptable.
So many people get tricked the same way and realize too late Sittercity have been charging them.
Charging candid customers who trusted them and gave them their card # WITHOUT sending them monthly bills is abusing their confidence.
I contacted customer services, my issue was mostly ignored.
They kept telling me like a broken record that the best they can do is to refund 3 months.

They argue that they automatically renew your subscription in order to avoid disruptions, what a marvelous lie!
They tell you that your opinion matter and that they will change their company policy. Of course, they do not!
They just make most of their money by deceiving the poor people who agreed to give their bank info.

Be very careful if you go ahead and use their services!!

debbieb238
5/4/18

Just awful customer service they even stopped replying to your emails. When they do they are extremely rude and I've even had an agent hang up on me.

They keep billing! Customer service is no help at all.

By Jerome D.

Well I would be very careful if you haven't met the family or even meeting a family online or from craigslist. It best to work for a reputable agency that knows the clients,has their information and credit card on file. There are lots of scams going around.

By Michelle A.

Who knows if they even actually do the background check. Probably another way to make money off of people.

By Danie S.

Questions? Get answers from the Sittercity staff and other customers.

Sittercity?