Review of Sittercity

Tel: 1-888-748-2489
support@sittercity.com

heidiw63
11/19/18

If they determine, by some mysterious method, that you are advertising for a business and not personally they up your rate from 98.00 per month to 150.00 per month! Even if that were the case they won't keep any business gouging like that! The would be much better served by a modest increase not by gouging businesses. Also have seen some pretty awful things happen lately on Sitter City that have been on the news!!

michellem640
10/26/18

I usually never like to write reviews but due to my experience i think its important to do so to alert those who are baby sitters and use this site. There are bad people in this world trying to do harm by making us feel bad for their situations making us think they are desperate to find baby sitter whiling to pay any number of money you give them to create any schedule you want. DO NOT & i repeat DO NOT give your home address do not accept any pays in advance. These people try send u checks in advance and sometimes may send you a lot more money tgan they promissed as soon as you deposit your check they have access to your accounts and you have to pay the bank because they are fake checks. I spoke to a police officer made a report about my situation that involved them wanting me to work regardless that i had a 2 month lld son they said bring him along that they wanted to meet , i needed to do errands for them are also signs of not just fraud but possible sex and human traffiking. Please be careful to those who are females young nanys mostly be alert to whom you speak through these job sites and pay attention to the signs. I caught my situation on time thanks to my husband getting a bad feeling and stopping me from depositing the check but for other people it might be too late, make sure you dont put your family or yourself at risk.

arthurt44
9/19/18

Took stolen credit card information and charged me a "renewal fee". What a joke. My son, only child, has not needed sitting sevices in years. Stay away from this company. In my experience, when a company resorts to fraud it's a last ditched effort to steal on the way out. Shame on this company.

sunnyd20
8/9/18

No jobs unless you pay them their monthly fee. Don't believe me? Try it. I answered every single job posting there was in my city just to see if I would get a response. Not a single response. This made me question the authenticity of the "job posting" itself.
Made me think they were fictitious.
What I did get however, were daily emails from the site telling me in order to "get noticed", I would have to pay them every month.
Thinking about coming up with a site myself called "Just Give Me Money" and not providing any service. GENIUS!

I unsubscribed and I closed my account.

jecc
6/10/18

They never ever tell you they are billing you monthly, completely shady and dishonest. When you finally notice, they say read the fine print and no refund!!

rachelm266
6/7/18

I have to agree with all of the reviews I have been reading on Sittercity. They are completely dishonest. I created a profile and had someone contact me and now I have to pay $30 just to reply!!! I emailed their customer service and this was their response:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I am happy to clarify.

Under the Basic (free) membership, you can post your available job for and view profiles. Once you are receiving applications from sitters that you would like to contact directly, you will need to upgrade your account to a Premium paying membership to gain direct contact with any sitter on our site. This is our model. To upgrade your account, you can go to 'Account Settings' then 'Upgrade to Premium Membership' and select the subscription of your choice.

After you connect with a sitter on our site who is a good fit for your family, you can cancel your membership with Sittercity and move forward independently with that care provider.

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way.

Thanks,
Stephanie B.

Cancelling meant I was out $30. I would stay away from this business!

lisat263
5/6/18

I signed up for a 1 free month trial and got tricked into deceptive and dishonest billing practices.
I feel like this company violated my trust and naïvety.
I agreed in August 2017 to pay $0 for ONE month of their service and was asked to give my visa info.
I usually avoid any site asking for my Visa info stipulating that I can cancel any time" because I know some companies continue to charge after canceling, but I was desperate to find a sitter for my old little cat.
Not to mention that after spending hours making a profile, writing your add, uploading photos etc., when ou finally get answers they wont let you read/answer them unless you give your bank info!!

9 months later, I noticed that they have been auto-debiting $35 from my account every month
A total of $315.
Of course, Im kicking myself that it's taken me so long to notice, I am an auto-entrepreneur, I work hard on construction sites and yes, I can be unorganized with my paperwork
I never received an invoice.
I never agreed to go Premium or to pay anything.
It has been done in my back, without my consent.
What is not acceptable is the lack of communication when it comes to payments.
When we pay our phone, our internet, our electric (etc.), providers send us invoices.
Sittercity, on the other hand, is charging us right at the source without letting us know and that is not acceptable.
So many people get tricked the same way and realize too late Sittercity have been charging them.
Charging candid customers who trusted them and gave them their card # WITHOUT sending them monthly bills is abusing their confidence.
I contacted customer services, my issue was mostly ignored.
They kept telling me like a broken record that the best they can do is to refund 3 months.

They argue that they automatically renew your subscription in order to avoid disruptions, what a marvelous lie!
They tell you that your opinion matter and that they will change their company policy. Of course, they do not!
They just make most of their money by deceiving the poor people who agreed to give their bank info.

Be very careful if you go ahead and use their services!!

debbieb238
5/4/18

Just awful customer service they even stopped replying to your emails. When they do they are extremely rude and I've even had an agent hang up on me.

theresas81
3/7/18

I received a job from sittetcity Last year in NJ where I live and the person that hired me the daughter in law did a background check on me and,I was hired the following week ,my job lasted a year the lady I took care of passed last month
The husband was very good to me. I will use this company again.

kf59
2/13/18

Sittercity is a predatory business that relies on customers signing up for what they think is a limited time frame of access to their program. Customers then realize that they are being charged or have been charged multiple times without their consent. When contacting the customer service department their trained response is to say that the customer signed up for a reoccurring service in the fine print. This is a case of "small print" fraud.

pennyc44
12/13/17

I used this site to attempt to hire a nanny. I had many people apply to the position, but only a few left contact information on their initial email through Sittercity. Any that did not leave their contact info, I attempted to contact through this site and not one contacted me back. I think their internal email is poorly set up.
Those that gave their contact info in their initial email, I set interviews for. ALL of them, except one, no showed. I even had a couple of prospective sitters hang up on me mid-sentence!
And to add insult to injury, I had to pay for the privilege of my time being wasted, and the hassle and frustration of bad manners.
Will not be using this site again.

jesseo21
6/16/17

Ever since I made a Sittercity account my references and I have been harrased by scammers. I get three out of state calls a day and so many scam messages. When I had a Care.com account years ago I lived in NYC so it was a lot easier to find well off families to watch their children. Now I live elsewhere and the only time I finally thought I found a family the mother wanted to meet me at a strange address, wouldn't speak to me on the phone, or text me. Obviously that is very sketchy. Now my references are very annoyed that they are being harrased. When I spoke to care.com about it they said there was nothing they could do to help. Also, the site wants money from you so you can have a more in detail background check. That is a way to get someone to pay unnescary money, most felonies are available on the internet for the world to see, unless the sitter hired a million dollar lawyer to hide it from the mad majority to see. Yet, what you are convicted of will not leave. I'm very dissapointed in the entire website, as well as care.com. I understand that they're are good families and sitters on both, but the amount of texts and phone calls I get from scammers is driving me bonkers. I would never have a in detail background check ever on that site, even having a photo of myself on there makes me nervous.

tinas126
5/12/17

The sitter we hired through Sittercity had a driving record (we had a private background check run as they did not require it) She had evictions.
She left our infant unattended and tried to steal furniture. She tried to coerce us to follow her outside so she could claim we were assaulting her. Our neighbors were witnesses to this madness! Sittercity still has her on their site as of today.
They were sent evidence including voicemail of the sitter admitting she was guilty of the above. Sittercity is in possession of the admission from the sitter via voicemail of leaving an infant alone in a house in a high chair unattended, stealing furniture and stealing keys to the house. They have chosen to leave this baby sitter on their website for other families to hire, knowing that she has admitted to these atrocities.

margaretm141
2/22/17

Sittercity.com is a horrible website who preys on young families. They do not make their subscription renewal fair and the process to obtain any of your money back is very difficult. Not worth your time or money do not support them.

austinb39
10/13/16

I think Sittercity is a great service overall. I was a bit hesitant about letting a stranger in my house to watch my most precious aspects of my life! I felt comforted when I saw so many sitters in my area and the safety "badges" that get assigned to each sitter (for things like CPR and first aid training). I learned about the sign up process from this tutorial about the site <a href=http://www.cribsters.com/sittercity-review-coupon/></a> who i guess is a nurse and had a similar experience to me. Good luck out there and make sure you interview your sitter closely and always get a background check!

bp64
9/19/16

Thank you for the extra money I'm able to earn when I need extra cash by working for amazing families on your website. I was with Care.com and they have been GOD awful worst website ever created it is nothing but a bunch of GREEDY PEOPLE running it.

michellea31
6/22/15

I Am The Owner of a nanny agency. The type of agency where the nanny comes in my office and interviews with me after completing a 13 page application, submitted references, have been FBI fingerprinted, CPR and First Aid certified, give me permission to contact all personal and childcare references and run her local background check and social security trace. Once that is complete it lets us knows everywhere she has lived over the years. So we can check each state for criminal history. We check her driving record, meth offender and sex offender records and do many other checks. This is all before we ever meet with the nanny. If the nanny is cleared after all of that we set up her face-to-face interview in our office. If she is a minute late we do not meet with her. We know that seems harsh but if you are do not show up on time to make an excellent first impression that is a terrible first start and not the look our agency is going for. We look for things like is her cell phone rings during the interview and if it does what does she do? Does she check it? Or ignore it and apologize? Are her nails clean? Are her clothes clean? Does she come prepared? These are only a few things.
SITTERCITY AND CARE.COM ARE JUST A WEBSITE.

THATS IT!!!!!!!!
The owner or her husband probably was a web designer and had this brilliant idea. To ask lots of girls to enter their profiles on the site then started marketing and now they are millionaires.
Of course they can't be responsible. They have never ever met any of these people. So be very, very careful.
There is a big, big difference in a site like care.com and sitter city and mine.

Just do your check, backgrounds, references, pop in frequently, have neighbors stop by, get cameras. If they do not like it too bad and it probably means they are hiding something.

I've been in business placing nannies for over ten years and have never had an incident and have wonderful nanny's.

Just be very careful. It sounds too good to be true it probably is or there is a reason.

Michelle

jackiem32
4/7/15

Definitely a lot better than care.com! I actually found jobs on there and people actually respond.

sarahl78
3/25/15

It disturbs me to read a review about babysitting from a 12 year old that is using an internet service to find work in a strangers household. (Look below on this page) I hope that the parent went with the 12 year old or the babies were dropped off at the 12 year old house with parental supervision..However after calling and inquiring about this, apparently minors as little as 12 can use this internet service without parental supervision as long as the parent of the minor checks off a disclaimer box. I AM NOT OK WITH THIS!!

stacyt
9/18/14

You need to be very careful with any of these types of find a sitter or nanny websites but you can find a good sitter if you contact all of their references. I found a great sitter that lives right around the corner. Sittercity really helped me out.

brycen4
1/3/14

The site appeared to be a great resource, I found a number of sitters that met my need. On paying for a subscription I contacted each of the listed sitters. None responded. Of the sitters that contacted me, none met my clearly stated condition (speaking a particular language). These were stale, fake listings, or sitters who did not read. This was not useful.

militiae
4/7/12

They could use some improvement by enhancing the ability to search more effectively. They have many filters to find the right person but no option to narrow it down to someone who has the right availability.

Well I would be very careful if you haven't met the family or even meeting a family online or from craigslist. It best to work for a reputable agency that knows the clients,has their information and credit card on file. There are lots of scams going around.

By Michelle A.

It is your responsibility to cancel the membership both at Sittercity and at Care.com as well as most dating sites and any social sites with membership fees. Even if you sign up for 1 month -3 months- 1 year or whatever these types of memberships will auto renew for the rest of your life unless you call the company your self and cancel the membership. Often going on the website and cancelling the membership does not work for whatever reason. If you read reviews on other boards like Care.com and Match.com you will find 1000 of complaints from people that said their credit cards was billed after they cancelled on the computer. However many people forget to cancel and say that to try and get a refund I am sure. Also starting this year in most states a new law came out for auto renew billing. Anytime a credit card is cancelled your bank or the credit card company will contact the auto renew billing companies such as Comcast, the phone company, electric company, gym memberships, and I do believe internet auto renew billing as well and give them your new credit card as a service. That way your auto renew services are not interrupted. So, gone are the days of getting rid of a bill by getting rid of a credit card. I am sure if you call your credit card company and request this service to stop they will do it, but I am not sure.

By Sarah L.

Questions? Get answers from the Sittercity staff and other customers.

Sittercity?