Review of Shutterfly

customerservice@cs.shutterfly.com
2017 Customer choice award

mindya12
10/14/18

I placed an order with shutterfly, while working on project I had noticed a promo going on that stated free shipping on $39 or more, so I decided to add a few more things to my cart to receive free shipping. Everything upon check out my order had some to $84 but after applying the promo code my total came to $59 . Shortly after I received an email receipt that said my order was $84. Assuming they made a mistake I emailed them hoping to clear things up. The state there was no promo for $39 free shipping and that it was $70 which I was short of. Luckily I still had the page one on my computer with my order and promo code I was able to take a screen shot and email it back to them, to which they did not reply twice. As well when I checked my credit card they had charged me $110. They do not have a contact number to phone so I had to go through my credit card company to get the number and they assured me that they would back me on this dispute but I should try and contact them once more. After sitting on hold for 25 minutes and I was greeted by an extremely rude worker who defended the charges and only said she would look into cancelling my order after I had stated I had been in contact with my cc company and they would be in contact with them next. I did end up having my order cancelled. I would like to say buyer beware as this company is not at all up front and their customer service is terrible.

ravik80
9/23/18

They offer free stuff but charge you for shipping, that actually covers the product cost and they make thier margin. Thats how they are surviving.

davidb1708
9/17/18

Every time I try to share an album via Shutterfly, it makes me want to tear out my hair in frustration. On 9/16/18 I spent a lot of time adding captions to 46 wedding photos in an "album" I wanted to share with some relatives via email, but my recipients could not see the captions unless they logged in as a member. Even then, it was too hard for them to get the "information" button to appear, which is the only way to see the captions. Also, my recipients saw the photos in a totally mixed up order even though I sorted them all in chronological order beforehand. After the sorting I did a final slide show preview, and then hit the "share" button at the bottom of the screen, and realized almost too late that it was only going to share the one photo which the slide show was on at that particular moment! Lastly, the "share" screen itself has a check box for including yourself in the share. I checked that box, and yet never received an email from Shutterfly. In fact, I had no idea if the share happened until a relative responded to me via email and then I was able to clink on the same link which she did. All in all it was one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in a long time.

pilyt
9/9/18

I got a gift card from Shutterfly for renting a book on Chegg and I just was not able to use it at all. They have specific rules to follow when using a gift card. I learned this once I got so frustrated I could not find it and had to contact customer support. THERE SHOULD BE NEED TO CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT FOR A GIFT CARD!!
In the e-mail they said:
We are sorry that promotion did not apply while placing an order. We have checked your account and see that $25 credit is active in your account which is valid until November 30, 2018. The $25 off will work in the following manner:

"1) The order must contain merchandise value of $25 for the offer to apply. The credit cannot be used partially. You have to use the $25 off in a single order.
2) You cannot combine this offer with other percentage offers.
3) Shipping and taxes are not included in the order. "

They said that the cart needs to have $25 dollars and I have something that is $24.99 and I have no idea if ONE CENT is supposed to make the gift card magically appear and even if that is the case, why?!

caitlyns13
8/31/18

I have used Shutterfly for the last 6-7 years and have yet to be disappointed. I have customized my woven blankets, pillows, mugs, etc. and the product has always been exactly what I wanted. The shipping is pretty standard and the prices are reasonable. The website is easy to understand and navigate and their products make for great Christmas presents! I also love the coupons they send me right to my email that always me to get free shipping or x amount % off items. It is wonderful!

cheryls299
8/24/18

My how I wish I would have checked the reviews for Shutterfly before I spent a tremendous amount of time on their website building a photo book for my granddaughter's 10th birthday. I placed my order and paid for "Express Deliver" (what a joke!). It was noted that "Express Delivery" was "guaranteed" for the a specific date. I felt comfortable with this, thinking if they are "guaranteeing" the delivery date, they must mean it. After 4 days of no notice of shipping, I called CS and was told my project would be completed that day and shipped over night. Still no notification this morning (day of "guaranteed" delivery) The status on the website still shows "in production" and my "guaranteed" delivery date has disappeared. There is now no delivery date shown. Called CS again this morning and all they can say is it MIGHT be here Monday, two days after my granddaughter's birthday. I will NEVER use Shutterfly again. Don't advertise "guaranteed" delivery if you can't back it up. After reading other reviews, I'm now also concerned about the product quality.

robertb1190
8/17/18

Nearly unusable. Error messages, looses files. Horrible. I loved this site but they have made it un usable. Sad

loriw142
8/1/18

Their sales are fake. They will advertise free items but then they charge exorbitant shipping charges. Go to you local CVS or Walgreens for photos.

sharans3
7/30/18

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I was so excited to get my wedding album from them only to discover they had completely messed it up. I paid additional to have the logo fee removed only to receive it with the logo still. I contacted customer service and asked for a refund only to be told they'll send me another book, which they did, however I had to pay $20 customs on it AGAIN and the logo was STILL on the book. So I contacted them AGAIN. They told me they'll send me another book with free shipping and an additional 39 pages. So I decided to add more pages and when I went to go checkout, they charged my credit card $60 and I DID NOT GET FREE SHIPPING. I contacted customer service right away to tell them I did not want that additional album that I had to pay for again and wanted a refund. They told me it was already in production and they couldn't cancel it eventhough it wasn't shipped. SHUTTERFLY IS SUCH A SCAM. They told me to follow refund instructions once I received the product., which means I would have to pay another customs fee of $20 to get the product only to pay god knows what to return it. I AM SO FED UP. SHUTTERFLY CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. DO NOT TRUST THEM. THEY TRY TO GET AS MUCH MONEY FROM YOU AS THEY CAN. DO NOT USE THEM. I HAVE SPENT MUCH MORE THAN I intended to on my wedding album and it is still garbage. I could've paid a professional company at this point and saved money and it would've been better and less frustration.

julias168
7/29/18

This is the 2nd time Ive ordered an important gift from Shutterfly, Only to find out that it wasnt arriving on the scheduled time. This particular order, even paid $ 29.99 So that it would be delivered on time. Its being delivered four days late, which means that we will be on our 10 year anniversary trip and I have no gift to give. Upon calling customer service to find out why it did not arrive as paid for and scheduled, they simply refund of the shipping and offered no other solution. I will not be counting on Shutterfly to deliver production on time moving forward. This is ridiculous and has literally ruined to family events now.

richardd433
7/27/18

I have done several small projects without problems. This suckered me into starting a super photo book based on a lengthy trip to Egypt. I started the book and had some 50 pages with two or three hundred photos. I had to put the project aside and concentrate on health issues at home. When I returned to my project I was blocked from editing. I contacted Shutterfly and was told they had changed their SW. To accommodate me the engineering staff converted my book to the new SW. Unfortunately many of the pictures did not make it into the new version.

So, I replaced the missing pictures and continued developing the book. Then one day when I opened the book, many of the pictures had again disappeared. I thought I must have screwed up, I replaced the missing photos in the book and became careful to save and sign out each time instead of leaving without signing out. Everything seemed to be going great until the last time I signed in. 75% of my photos were missing, by that time I had hundreds of hours invested in my project. This time I contacted Shutterfly and they told that many of my photos were corrupted and that was the problem. When the photo book was converted to the new SW the conversion corrupted my photos and I must upload them all again.

If they had told me that when they converted the photobook, I could have uploaded them at the time and saved myself all that time and work. I feel they let me down by not informing me that the conversion had corrupted the photos. The photos looked fine. They told me the photo book would never have printed even if it had not crashed. I feel they really were negligent in not informing me of a problem they knew about but I could never discern on my own. Im not confident that that was the entire problem, having lost confidence in them.

Im going back to scrapbooking. I cannot trust that any additional effort will lead to the photo book that would merit the effort. I feel like Charley Brown and the football.

susieb51
7/19/18

Im done with this site. Ive used them a few times . They are really expensive and it took almost two weeks to get one 8x10 photo. Never again. From now on Ill do it myself at Walgreens or Target.

josha71
7/14/18

My wife and I were remarkably disappointed and dissatisfied with our experience. We poured dozens of hours into a wedding album that then came in with the bottom right picture on many pages with a fade filter. We did not want any images faded, but the software added it before placing the order. We were told it was a software issue by a very pleasant customer service rep, and the manager agreed it was a software issue so they sent a new one. When we got the new one, all the pages were shifted down a quarter inch so they had a border on top with random barcode text showing, and the bottom quarter inch of the bottom pictures cut off. On some pages the white barcode border would be as much as half an inch on one side of the page, and taper down to nothing on the other side. It was pretty rough. We were charged 30 dollars in duty on this one, and we really felt shutterfly wasnt a good fit for us anymore since we keep running into issues, so we called to request a refund to try again elsewhere. The service rep was very dismissive, and made no attempt to apologize for our sub-standard experience. We requested they pay us the duty with the refund since we paid thirty dollars for a book that is terrible, and have nothing to show for it. He said they wouldnt because it was user error the first time, and when we explained that the manager had told us it was a software issue, he just disregarded the statement and said they wouldnt credit us for the duty we had to pay for a company error. We expressed our displeasure with our customer experience and that we would not recommend the company in the future, and once again he made no attempt to apologize for our negative experience with the company, and simply told us to have a nice day and hung up.
The second customer service rep we talked to did not care that we had been struggling for months to simply get what we had ordered, and made no attempt to keep our business. We had heard good things about shutterfly, but the simple fact is our experience was terrible, we wasted dozens of hours of labour, and at the end we lost money due to the companys printing error on two occasions. We wanted to make it work, but our experience with this company was just disappointment after disappointment. This album was hundreds of dollars and the company didnt care about our terrible experience. Now 10 months after our wedding we have to find a different company and make a whole new album all over again, with nothing to show for the months of work that went into this one.

isaiahs18
6/24/18

Tried to use a $25 gift card given to my wife by a friend, the website ate the gift card and didnt allow her to use it. Now after 30 minutes of trouble shooting, I cant even contact customer support. One of the most ridiculously, poorly ran websites Ive ever come across.

traceec5
6/22/18

Even though the original pictures were taken with high resolution (for detail), lots of the pictures that I ordered were low quality and pixelated. I don't recommend unless willing to see your great photos done injustice.

bobbyb99
6/17/18

I am EXTREMELY upset with my photo book. First of all I ordered this book as a gift and it came in a Shutterfly box which gave away the gift when my husband checked the mail! Couldnt you be a little more discreet?? Secondly when my children gave my husband his Fathers Day present, as he opened it, the pages were coming out of the binding!!! Not only was this embarrassing but it was upsetting as well to all of us. Now I have to tape it or something. And not to mention that their site is so bad to use! Its not user friendly and their tools are so outdated. I spent an entire day and night making this book and it arrived as trash. This is completely unacceptable!!

susano117
6/16/18

I spent days and days designing a photo book for Father's Day. The books were offered for a Father's Day promotion. I submitted my order once I checked that the merchandise would arrive on time. It showed that it would, so I placed my order. I checked over the 2 week production time and it was shown to be delivered the day before Father's Day. Sure enough, one day before the delivery date, the website changed the delivery date to the day AFTER Father's Day. This item was to be an important part of an extended family gathering for my elderly father. If Shutterfly is marketing to special occasions and holidays, it seems like it should be accountable to making these deadlines. Especially when they are promised when the order is placed. Do not trust this company. Do not pay their ridiculously high shipping rates. Fraud.

dawna87
6/1/18

They advertise as image storage, but once you upload - you can not get your images back easily. One at a time or they offer a complicated email delivery option of batch 500 at a time. I have over 5000 images and I have no way to get them unless I want to try and remember which 500 I had sent to me. This is insane and theft in my opinion.

nenam5
5/25/18

I made an account on shutterfly to be able to send a loved one who lives far away pictures. I sent a few, as a test to see how long it would take for them to get there. It originally showed me a date, which was 2-3 days after I sent them. I was like wow, okay that's great. Finally a week went by, no email confirming delivery. So I went to their site to check, it still said it was sitting at a post office. I checked again a few days later, no update. I sent them an email, according to them it was "lost in transit" and they sent me the pictures to my house. When I got them, they weren't at all what I wanted printed. The prints were garbage, and 2 were cut. Now i'm having issues with my account, and all the customer service chat keeps telling me is to reset my password. I was asked to identify myself as the actual "owner" of the account, which I did immediately. Still no answers, no emails. Nothing. A word of advice, you're better off getting your prints at a local drugstore or something.

judyb193
5/21/18

Great prices and quality is awesome! I have been ordering from shutterfly for years. I love how easy it is to order and its fast service.

pg68
5/21/18

My Daughter order a book for my wife for Mother's day. She order the book on the 8th if the month. Was scheduled to be delivered on the 14th. IT is the 21st and still no book. She is 15 and a minor and I pay for the book on my credit card. They will not speak to me because she has the account. So much for teaching how to do thing on her own. I can't even help her fix the issue. Will never use them again.

marf4
5/18/18

I ordered Grad Announcements. Even though they were labeled as 'cards' they came on thin photo paper. Such a disappointment!

karenm605
5/10/18

Email for 12 free magnets . Shipping costs over 19 $ ? I asked if I would receive 10 separate packages and they said no only 1 package . This was the economy freight for less than 1lb package ?

samanthas159
4/24/18

I just spent over $70 for prints and having them delivered to my house, they all look horrible. I cant use any of them theyre fuzzy and bit-mat which is extremely upsetting considering I got them from the devices that actually took the photos. Theres absolutely no reason for the extremely low quality photos I revived. I am very upset will never use this company again. I am out $70and Im going to have to reprint all these photos from a different company. Do not waste your time and money.

karens593
4/23/18

Ordered all my "FREE" stuff. The items, which could fit in a small priority mail box were going to cost $80 to ship!!! Now I want to delete photos I uploaded, but can't figure out out how. I've emailed at least 4 times. They keep sending the same answer, but nothing matches what I see on my screen, and I've tried on both browser and app. In general:
Customer help is non existent
There are no free items
Software in both app and browser is confusing.
Browser and app do not share pics
After trying for 3 days to get freebies and prints I gave. I went to Walgreens site. Ordered my prints and picked them up-took me 1 hour total, including going to store to pick up!

Tip for consumers: DON'T!!!!

463 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They are awful, just awful. Not sure how they are still in business!

By Susan C.

Stay clear!! I received a canvas with no picture and they refuse to refund shipping.

By Kathy S.

Hello Jerie, please give us a call at 888-225-7159 for us to review the matter.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Hello Tim, you can contact Shutterfly at 888-225-7159.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Shutterfly staff and other customers.

4 Photos for Shutterfly