Review of Shutterfly

customerservice@cs.shutterfly.com
2017 Customer choice award

josha71
7/14/18

My wife and I were remarkably disappointed and dissatisfied with our experience. We poured dozens of hours into a wedding album that then came in with the bottom right picture on many pages with a fade filter. We did not want any images faded, but the software added it before placing the order. We were told it was a software issue by a very pleasant customer service rep, and the manager agreed it was a software issue so they sent a new one. When we got the new one, all the pages were shifted down a quarter inch so they had a border on top with random barcode text showing, and the bottom quarter inch of the bottom pictures cut off. On some pages the white barcode border would be as much as half an inch on one side of the page, and taper down to nothing on the other side. It was pretty rough. We were charged 30 dollars in duty on this one, and we really felt shutterfly wasnt a good fit for us anymore since we keep running into issues, so we called to request a refund to try again elsewhere. The service rep was very dismissive, and made no attempt to apologize for our sub-standard experience. We requested they pay us the duty with the refund since we paid thirty dollars for a book that is terrible, and have nothing to show for it. He said they wouldnt because it was user error the first time, and when we explained that the manager had told us it was a software issue, he just disregarded the statement and said they wouldnt credit us for the duty we had to pay for a company error. We expressed our displeasure with our customer experience and that we would not recommend the company in the future, and once again he made no attempt to apologize for our negative experience with the company, and simply told us to have a nice day and hung up.
The second customer service rep we talked to did not care that we had been struggling for months to simply get what we had ordered, and made no attempt to keep our business. We had heard good things about shutterfly, but the simple fact is our experience was terrible, we wasted dozens of hours of labour, and at the end we lost money due to the companys printing error on two occasions. We wanted to make it work, but our experience with this company was just disappointment after disappointment. This album was hundreds of dollars and the company didnt care about our terrible experience. Now 10 months after our wedding we have to find a different company and make a whole new album all over again, with nothing to show for the months of work that went into this one.

isaiahs18
6/24/18

Tried to use a $25 gift card given to my wife by a friend, the website ate the gift card and didnt allow her to use it. Now after 30 minutes of trouble shooting, I cant even contact customer support. One of the most ridiculously, poorly ran websites Ive ever come across.

traceec5
6/22/18

Even though the original pictures were taken with high resolution (for detail), lots of the pictures that I ordered were low quality and pixelated. I don't recommend unless willing to see your great photos done injustice.

bobbyb99
6/17/18

I am EXTREMELY upset with my photo book. First of all I ordered this book as a gift and it came in a Shutterfly box which gave away the gift when my husband checked the mail! Couldnt you be a little more discreet?? Secondly when my children gave my husband his Fathers Day present, as he opened it, the pages were coming out of the binding!!! Not only was this embarrassing but it was upsetting as well to all of us. Now I have to tape it or something. And not to mention that their site is so bad to use! Its not user friendly and their tools are so outdated. I spent an entire day and night making this book and it arrived as trash. This is completely unacceptable!!

susano117
6/16/18

I spent days and days designing a photo book for Father's Day. The books were offered for a Father's Day promotion. I submitted my order once I checked that the merchandise would arrive on time. It showed that it would, so I placed my order. I checked over the 2 week production time and it was shown to be delivered the day before Father's Day. Sure enough, one day before the delivery date, the website changed the delivery date to the day AFTER Father's Day. This item was to be an important part of an extended family gathering for my elderly father. If Shutterfly is marketing to special occasions and holidays, it seems like it should be accountable to making these deadlines. Especially when they are promised when the order is placed. Do not trust this company. Do not pay their ridiculously high shipping rates. Fraud.

dawna87
6/1/18

They advertise as image storage, but once you upload - you can not get your images back easily. One at a time or they offer a complicated email delivery option of batch 500 at a time. I have over 5000 images and I have no way to get them unless I want to try and remember which 500 I had sent to me. This is insane and theft in my opinion.

nenam5
5/25/18

I made an account on shutterfly to be able to send a loved one who lives far away pictures. I sent a few, as a test to see how long it would take for them to get there. It originally showed me a date, which was 2-3 days after I sent them. I was like wow, okay that's great. Finally a week went by, no email confirming delivery. So I went to their site to check, it still said it was sitting at a post office. I checked again a few days later, no update. I sent them an email, according to them it was "lost in transit" and they sent me the pictures to my house. When I got them, they weren't at all what I wanted printed. The prints were garbage, and 2 were cut. Now i'm having issues with my account, and all the customer service chat keeps telling me is to reset my password. I was asked to identify myself as the actual "owner" of the account, which I did immediately. Still no answers, no emails. Nothing. A word of advice, you're better off getting your prints at a local drugstore or something.

judyb193
5/21/18

Great prices and quality is awesome! I have been ordering from shutterfly for years. I love how easy it is to order and its fast service.

pg68
5/21/18

My Daughter order a book for my wife for Mother's day. She order the book on the 8th if the month. Was scheduled to be delivered on the 14th. IT is the 21st and still no book. She is 15 and a minor and I pay for the book on my credit card. They will not speak to me because she has the account. So much for teaching how to do thing on her own. I can't even help her fix the issue. Will never use them again.

marf4
5/18/18

I ordered Grad Announcements. Even though they were labeled as 'cards' they came on thin photo paper. Such a disappointment!

karenm605
5/10/18

Email for 12 free magnets . Shipping costs over 19 $ ? I asked if I would receive 10 separate packages and they said no only 1 package . This was the economy freight for less than 1lb package ?

samanthas159
4/24/18

I just spent over $70 for prints and having them delivered to my house, they all look horrible. I cant use any of them theyre fuzzy and bit-mat which is extremely upsetting considering I got them from the devices that actually took the photos. Theres absolutely no reason for the extremely low quality photos I revived. I am very upset will never use this company again. I am out $70and Im going to have to reprint all these photos from a different company. Do not waste your time and money.

karens593
4/23/18

Ordered all my "FREE" stuff. The items, which could fit in a small priority mail box were going to cost $80 to ship!!! Now I want to delete photos I uploaded, but can't figure out out how. I've emailed at least 4 times. They keep sending the same answer, but nothing matches what I see on my screen, and I've tried on both browser and app. In general:
Customer help is non existent
There are no free items
Software in both app and browser is confusing.
Browser and app do not share pics
After trying for 3 days to get freebies and prints I gave. I went to Walgreens site. Ordered my prints and picked them up-took me 1 hour total, including going to store to pick up!

Tip for consumers: DON'T!!!!

bjm6
4/12/18

Terrible site: mobile app is ridiculous to use. They uploaded THEIR choice of my photos- not the ones I would have picked and left out others I would have wanted. I finally deleted their app from my phone. A day later I received an email saying my credit card was billed over 200 dollars for three books. I immediately told them this was a mistake, I did not submit an order because I was still attempting to edit my photos. Their app is so crappy, its a federal production to edit or change photos. In addition pages were left blank and they say youll get 100 photos but you do not. I am contacting better business bureau and NY Attorney General about their dishonesty. Steer clear and do business with an honest place.

vanessac73
3/20/18

This is a scam. I decided to give Shutterfly a try after receiving a coupon with a Christmas photo purchase. The site was very hard to use. I manage to create and preview a plaque I wanted to buy. I ordered a plaque and received my "order" after 10 days. To my surprise I received a blank plaque. Shutterfly is refusing to refund or simply send me what I originally ordered. Their response to me has been via email only. There is no way to contact anyone over the phone. They never answer the phone calls.
The email response stated that they sent what I ordered. That I should have previewed my project! You can't order without a preview!!!
And if the previewed showed a blank plaque why would anyone order that?!
They simply used a coupon to steal money from me. And they will do the same to you!

jg147
3/15/18

The site is incredibly confusing to navigate. But more importantly, you need to have all photos fully edited prior to uploading them. Although Shutterfly offers in-site editing, it's mostly a joke. The server gets confused if you attempt to edit a photo that you've already placed on a project, and the editing tools available are weak by late 1990s standards, let alone 20 years later. All this for a premium price tag? No thanks. Use another company if you need real features. That said, the books themselves are well made, if you make it that far...

tonyk76
3/13/18

I compared this site to some others like Walmart. The Shutterfly site is hard to follow and does not do a good job of uploading photos so that you can see the card in advance of purchasing it. it also struggles to effectively upload the address and event information. Overall, very disappointed with this site and I will not use Shutterfly in the future.

kayd177
3/9/18

Fir storing and ordering photos and photo products Shutterfly is very good, provided you don't do groovebook.

jacobh75
3/9/18

I worked on a photo book for 3 months and I paid extra money for shipping to get it by Friday. On Friday morning I got a text saying that it wouldn't arrive until Monday. I needed the book to be there by Friday because the person that I was giving it to would only be there for the weekend. The worst part was that when I ordered the book it said "Guaranteed Delivery Friday" and now I have to spend more money to ship the book out to the person and not share the experience of giving it to them in person. I couldn't be more furious. I'm never ordering through Shutterfly again. Use I different company to print your books.

ellenl35
2/19/18

I ordered products from Shutterfly several times. But there are couple things that I hate! First of all, they dont give anything FREE as they say, they actually charge a crazy amount for shipping so we end up paying the product. Then after they charge a lot of shipping they take FOREVER to send the product. Ridiculous! The quality is not bad but the advertising is completely FAKE!

zahrap3
2/13/18

i ordered tow pictures print, oh my god never expected such bad bad quality not only print is so cheap, bad color, they are even cut my picture, i have half body and full ceiling

annat108
1/30/18

FIVE TIMES PRODUCTION ERROR:
YES! You read that correctly, they printed my order the wrong time five times. After telling me they were going to watch it come out right, the pictures on my save the dates were crooked and not how I had them on my preview when I placed the order, I went for the third time when they told me to change the structure of the card, AGAIN received them wrong, and wrong again after that, MONICA a supervisor there laughed at me when I was complaining and almost in tears from how upset I was. She was a total $#*!. I have never had such terrible customer service in my life. Then when I wasn't expecting it, and after they refunded me my money, they sent me even more and those too were wrong. I HAVE FIVE $#*!TERFLY BOXES AND TONS OF ENVELOPES AT MY HOUSE AND WRONG SAVES THE DATES! OH MY GOD! CAN YOU SAY NIGHTMARE??

laureng74
1/27/18

I made a small 8x8 20 page book, I individually formatted each page but when I went to pay I was being charged a fee for their formatting. After speaking on the life chat, a representative referred me to an FAQ that answered my question so I closed the chat. I was then made aware that removing the fee involved extensive changes to my book. I then proceeded to ask via message on facebook if there was an alternative answer. The customer service was atrocious, instead of clearly admitting the flaws of the program that trap you into paying unnecessary fees I was repeatedly given round about answers, and generally not being helped. It is not clear that a so called storytelling format will garner an extra charge and that the charge will remain whether or not you use the formatting. As I had completely changed the format to suit my needs I thought it would not be to difficult to remove the fee. I was incorrect. After trying to do as directed and change the format to remove the fee everything was changed. While the original chat representative was courteous, the facebook response was not. I think shutterfly has poor interface and poor service over all. I will be paying the fee and ordering the book if only for the time I have already lost on it. I will never use the site again, just simply for fear or wracking up some other ridiculous fees that no one can help you remove without destroying all that effort.

carries73
1/26/18

I placed an order for a photo album and the book I recieved was all wrong. They printed the wrong cover and some of the photos I had saved were not in the book. I emailed their customer service and was told I shouldve double checked my project before submitting (which I did) and that their printing company goes by the saved project. I was not happy with that response so I contacted someone else who credited me another book. So I redid the whole book again and double, then triple checked, and placed my order. I received it in the mail today and they somehow managed to screw it up even worse than the first time! And I had to end up paying for the shipping on this book so now Ive spent over $60 dollars and have two books that were made incorrectly!

danak38
1/25/18

It blows my mind that Shutterfly rather canceled my order than to meet my simple request. I asked not to stretch the canvas print over a stretcher bar to which the canvas is stapled. I just wanted to receive a rolled canvas print instead since I will be traveling and need to be able to put it in my suitcase. I would say a pretty simple request. They would just skip the last step in the process. But no, they couldn't do it.

463 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They are awful, just awful. Not sure how they are still in business!

By Susan C.

Stay clear!! I received a canvas with no picture and they refuse to refund shipping.

By Kathy S.

Hello Jerie, please give us a call at 888-225-7159 for us to review the matter.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Hello Tim, you can contact Shutterfly at 888-225-7159.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Shutterfly staff and other customers.

Shutterfly?