Review of Shutterfly

customerservice@cs.shutterfly.com
2018 Customer choice award

debbier18
5/22/19

I ordered a book for someone's wedding and it was easy to create, fun to work on and came out GREAT! I will use them again

ginap92
5/16/19

Ordered a phone case with discount and they cancelled 2 days later! Very disappointed!! Guess they didn't want me to save money!!

johnsonm48
4/30/19

I love Shutterfly! They also have wonderful customer service. The prices are actually very reasonable. I actually love ordering stuff from you, but it's really frustrating that photos don't get printed in order and putting them in the right order take days

normab62
4/9/19

So those Monopoly Free Shutterfly shopping bags etc... aren't really free.I ordered 2 free photo bags.I spent a lot of time on the projects and had a $12.00 shipping fee which took almost 2 weeks to arrive.The small envelope didn't weigh over 1 lb.

bruceb368
4/5/19

Shutterfly touted a guarantee that I would be satisfied. I ordered an expensive photo on glass. When I received it, the colors were way off those of the jpg that I provided. When I complained and asked for a re-do to match the original colors, In was refused and offered a discount on future order. Totally inadequate handling of my consumer complaint. DO NOT USE GUARANTEE IS MISLEADING AND INADEQUATE.

quinnm32
3/19/19

They're prices are incredible until you go to check out and realize the shipping cost more than the actual items. I have prints and a dog tag in my cart right now and it says $50.00 for shipping. Yeahhh right..

debraa104
2/17/19

I've been charged $15 to $17 for shipping flat orders that should have been no more than $5.00, at most. This is how they make up for all the free prints. I switched to Walgreens and their shipping cost for an even larger order was $3.45. Go to Walgreens instead!

pamr1
1/27/19

I ordered a photo mug for Christmas and when it arrived, they had cut off my husband's head in the photo. I received approval to return the mug, but it was $7.70 to return. They gave me credit for a new mug, but well after Christmas and no reimbursement for the poorly done mug.

anyd1
1/1/19

Placed an order Dec 2nd. They committed delivery Dec 20-22. On Dec 20, they email me & tell me it won't be delivered by Christmas & give me a $10 coupon. Seriously? Not enough time to replace the gift & no gift to give on Christmas. Will NEVER use them again for my holiday cards or gifts. Shame on you Shutterfly!!

jessicad251
12/29/18

Do not order from this company. There has been posted charges to my card that wasn't suppose to happen. Also shutterfly had stated they processed a reimbursement on two occasions and this is several weeks later and my bank have no records of reimbursement. Only charges. This company is fraudulent.

triciav6
12/22/18

We've used Shutterfly for years and have a bunch of photos on their server. I ordered Christmas cards last Monday and they were "guaranteed" to be at our house yesterday. Around 5 p.m., I knew they weren't coming. After spending almost an hour on the phone with the very apologetic customer service (they apologized profusely, following a script it seemed, but didn't seem to be able to get the cards to me until Monday, the day before Christmas). They seem to be good at making mistakes, but not taking responsibility for them by delivering on their promise. I will supposedly receive a refund in a couple of weeks, and I had to "reorder" the pictures. Today, I checked and the same thing happened--Shutterfly said "shipped," but FedEx said they have yet to receive the shipment. So, I'm doubting I'll receive it on Monday. Christmas cards are too important to our family. We are planning to find another place to order them next year.

jenniferv202
12/21/18

I am a long time Shutterfly customer but in the future I plan to look elsewhere. I ordered two photo blankets- one for each of my daughters for Christmas on Dec. 1st. On Dec 18 I received a package with only one blanket in it! After several failed attempts to chat with someone (and a 73 minutes wait time by phone) I finally got someone who responded to me. She re-ordered the missing blanket and told me "even with Expedited Shipping I would not receive my order until mid-January!" This is crazy. There is no way it should take that long! When I complained further by email I still got the standard scripted response. I will never use this company again!

nancym514
12/20/18

Won't use Shutterfly again. Beware of their "satisfaction guarantee" policy -- they will only give you 50% refund !!!!!!!!!!! Who does this?????????????? Dark photos, heads cut off photos, and they sent me TWO separate books, and charged my card twice, and I only ordered one. And that one was very disappointing. Still waiting for my case to be settled. BEWARE. I think your local drugstore will be a better job.

michelem98
12/20/18

I have never been disappointed by their quality. I have used their products for gifts and have had great results. But I only use them when there is a good deal. Their regular prices and shipping costs are just too high.

Shipping times and processing are a decent speed.

I just wish there was more variety. If you just got married or had a child, there is a lot. But they do need to expand the general population designs.

I am impressed with their continued expansion of types of items, though. It's amazing what you can get personalized - They just need more designs

They push their app but it's a nightmare. The variety is even more restricted and so are your options in customizing things. Crossing items designed on the website or app usually can't be crossed to the other platform. Just stick with the website no matter how many pop ups you see.

angiel95
12/18/18

NEVER AGAIN. I've used other photo book places (Snap Fish, Andoramapix) and have never gotten such a poor quality product as with Shutterfly. I'm a former graphic designer with photography experience, so I know my way around photo quality and retouching. After spending hours retouching photos and creating my photo book for a gift for four people, I was so appalled and disappointed by the print quality I could have cried. Photos were dark and looked like them came from some crappy disposable camera rather than high-resolution photos from a high-end camera.

The paper quality was horrible, too. Rough and drab. I spent $200 dollars on something that looks like it came out of a high school print shop. From the 90s.

But good luck actually being to file a complaint or to chat with a customer service rep. The chat constantly says they're busy and to "try again later." Really?

Andoramapix is a little pricey, but well worth it if you truly want high-quality photo books. What a freaking SHAM this place is.I'm so angry over the horrible quality!

wendyf88
12/17/18

I have ordered cards and photo books from Shutterfly for 15 years. I have noticed their service slipping but the products were always good. I got my holiday cards this year. The stock is thin and flimsy. Feels so cheap I would be embarrassed to send them out. I'm very upset b/c that means we will not be sending out a holiday card for the first time since my children were born.
p.s. Even the envelopes are horrible. They do not seal.

michaell954
12/17/18

Ordered Christmas cards with a Shutterfly provided guaranteed delivery date all during check out and in my order confirmation email. Once processed that guaranteed date changed to a range of dates and I let it go. Once the initial guaranteed date passed I emailed customer service since there was no activity on the tracking number I was provided and they said nothing to worry about and that I had to go by the last day of the date range. Well the last day came and went and no still no Christmas cards. I contacted customer service again and they said since there was no activity since the initial scanning by USPS it's likely lost. Well it's now a little over a week before Christmas and I have no cards to send. Will never use this company again. Bait and switch "guaranteed" delivery dates and unreliable.

bills608
12/16/18

After using Shutterfly for many years, we have noticed a serious drop in quality and customer service. We placed four orders this year, and three of them are wrong. This last one they will not fix because they are not admitting fault. The last line of text on the Christmas card is missing. They reprinted and the same thing happened. Their excuse is we were supposed to edit the text. If you are familiar with their process, there is a warning sign when the text does not fit. That plus the fact it looks fine on the screen, leads us to believe they are simply not caring anymore. Perhaps a case of growing too fast.

patriciah384
12/15/18

I ordered Christmas cards on Nov 27th. When I hadn't received them by Dec 8th, I went on their website and sent an email asking about the status of my order. I got an automated email saying I would get a response within 48 hours. I got no response to my inquiry but I did finally receive an orange envelope on Dec 14th with nothing inside. I called customer service on Dec 15th, and was told the wait was 2 hours long so I signed up to be called back when it was my turn. I got the return call and the rep agreed to ship my cards expedited at no cost but I was told that I needed to submit the order with $0 charge through my shopping basket online. When I did this, I was charged $18 for expedited shipping. I then called customer service AGAIN and waited 28 minutes (not offered call back) to request a refund of the shipping charge I was told I wouldn't be charged. This has taken up way too much of my time to deal with Shutterfly's poor operations and customer service. I've used Tiny Prints for the last 4 years but will not be using them ever again after this year's string of issues.

cherylc267
12/14/18

I ordered custom ornaments this year. They came perfect in a nice little cloth bag. I have also ordered photo books in the past and have never been disappointed in the quality.

robertm1317
12/14/18

We bought our 75 Christmas cards for Shutterfly this year. We were sending out our cards when we realized Shutterfly had shorted us by 10 envelopes so we didn't have enough to send to all of our friends & family. I called Shutterfly on Dec 11th to let them know that they have shorted us 10 envelopes, that we couldn't send out all of our Christmas cards and I asked for them to rush us 10 envelopes. The guy I spoke to said he would send 10 envelopes to us and we would receive them on the 18th. I complained that was not acceptable. He said he was sorry but there was nothing else he could do. Our Christmas cards would be late going out because of Shutterfly's mistake. I told him Amazon & others deliver to us in 2 days & I wanted to speak to his supervisor. He said he was the only person there and could not get in touch with his supervisor. I'm sure that's a lie. I told him get me to someone that I could talk to about getting our envelopes earlier. He put me on hold and said he would try to find someone to help. He later came back & said his manager approved a rushed shipment and we would receive the envelopes by the 14th. That was acceptable. He said he was processing right then for us to receive them on the 14th. I thanked him for his help. I received an email from Shutterfly yesterday saying we would receive the envelopes on the 19th. Now I'm really angry with Shutterfly. Shutterfly made a mistake in our first order, then assured me we would have the envelopes by the 14th, then they sent them out without a rush. The guy lied to get me off the phone and they did nothing to rush our shipment. Very poor customer service. Yes, I will now go out and buy envelopes so we can send out our cards so that our friends & family will get them in plenty of time for Christmas. Clearly Shutterfly does not value its customers enough to make up for their mistake. They should train or fire the guy I spoke to if they really value their customer support. This is the last time I'll order from Shutterfly.

silket1
12/8/18

I ordered a 1-hour pick up at 10:55am this morning.
I went to Target in Walnut Creek (a location Shutterfly offers for 1-hour pick up) to get my photos 1.5 hours later, but they were not ready. The staff couldn't even see my order. After I waited another 30 Minutes, I finally left the store without my prints.
I cannot tell you how annoying this experience was. Shutterfly offeres a 1-hour pick up and I understand if it takes a few more minutes. But being in a hurry - this is the reason why I chose 1-hour pick up - I wasted more than an hour driving back and forth and waiting. In the end I have nothing, but being stressed and very disappointed.
I will not pick up these prints anymore and will not likely order at Shutterfly again!

I sent Shutterfly an email and this was their answer:
"The store that you have selected takes 7 days to process the order. I see that you have selected a store that does not have an in-house photo center. Please check the processing time mentioned on the store selector page (the page with the map and the details of the store appear on the left) before placing the order.
For store orders, you are charged for the products only at store pick up. You can go ahead and place a new order at another store in the locality. If the processing of your original order is delayed, the store will hold it on for a few days and then will dispose it carefully. if you do not pick up the order, you do not have to pay for it. It is as good as cancelled."

Why do they offer me a store that does not have an in-house photo center when I selected 1-hour pick up? At the store I was told that they offer 1-hour pick up!
I also expected them to at least apologize for all my trouble!
Shutterfly? NEVER AGAIN!

klw
12/7/18

OMG! I was so disappointed with my Christmas card order this year. Envelopes are flimsy. Christmas card is small and to top it off I spent the extra money ($35) for envelope liners and I now have to go to the store and purchase a glue stick and assemble the envelopes and liner myself. Just awful. This was supposed to save me time. Total failure.

cc397
12/2/18

We have been using Shutterfly for our holiday cards several years in a row. I enjoyed the card making experience and the picture looked nice on the card. However, this year, I was surprised by the poor quality of the standard cardstock. I believe this is the same paper I ordered the previous year but the quality had just gone down significantly. It's just rough and flat. It looks cheap. Also, I had decided to splurge for a liner ... only to find out that I had to stuff the liner inside my 50 envelopes myself! After paying over $100 for my 50 holiday cards. Seriously???

debc104
11/30/18

I'm an experienced photographer & have documented numerous trips with photo books. Shutterfly is the most frustrating, non-intuitive &challenging site I've ever encountered. I've just spent more than one hour per page completing a book which still didn't give me what I wanted, and I was charged an up-charge to boot! Rather than cancel the order and start over (for the FIFTH time!!!) I just confirmed the purchase to be done with it. I've had far better experiences with Snapfish and swear to NEVER-EVER use Shutterfly again!

463 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They are awful, just awful. Not sure how they are still in business!

By Susan C.

Stay clear!! I received a canvas with no picture and they refuse to refund shipping.

By Kathy S.

Hello Jerie, please give us a call at 888-225-7159 for us to review the matter.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Hello Tim, you can contact Shutterfly at 888-225-7159.

By Levi H., Shutterfly Representative

Questions? Get answers from the Shutterfly staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Shutterfly