Review of Shapeways

419 Park Ave South
New York, NY 10016, USA

davisl17
7/27/17

I'm just trying to order a model I made bu the website just doesn't accept my credit card for some reason... Contacted customer support, nada... I guess im gunna give my $$ to another 3D printing company...

lowellj11
5/26/17

My fiancee ordered a cake topper designed by her brother. It was of the two of us. It came with our heads broken off, which would have at least been fixable, but she was missing her arms as well.

johnr437
2/16/17

I don't know WHAT some of these reviewers are talking about. I love this company. I have placed a half-dozen or so orders with them, of my own nerdy, technical designs and there are delivered in perfect condition. Everything looked great and it all fit together perfectly. Maybe because it was my own design and not someone else's?

And I've had only one "problem" and it was with UPS, NOT Shapeways. It was NOT delivered when it was supposed to have been delivered (I paid for next-day) and we thought it was lost.

Shapeways quickly re-printed it, and sent it out again to me, arriving on time - even though it was NOT there fault.

And the people I have dealt with are always informative and great.

I was considering acquiring my own 3D printer, but because of affordability of Shapeways doing it for me, makes it much more worthwhile to have it done by them. And I then do not have to worry about maintenance and calibration and trouble-shooting and the replenishing of supplies.

Yes, I would HIGHLY recommend them (like I said, I design my own stuff, so I have no idea about purchasing something that was designed by someone else).

nathanl42
12/29/16

I've ordered from shapeways four times. All four orders were for magic polyhedra puzzles (rubik's type twisty puzzles). I initially was skeptical due to how lightweight the product was. However, the puzzle proved to be exceptional and most likely is stronger and more durable than the ABS puzzles that come from plastic injection molding. The puzzle was expensive and had a gritty texture but no complaints since I knew what I was getting into in that aspect. The next three puzzles I ordered came from a second designer and his designs were hollow with very thin walls. I initially was skeptical, however the product proved to be quite good and I didn't find any fault in it. The three puzzles were inexpensive relatively speaking compared with the former mentioned puzzle. I recommend these types of puzzles, just know what to expect. These puzzle designers are friends and acquaintances of mine and they go the extra mile to keep costs low. There designs are truly art and express their vast creativity and genius. These products vary from puzzle to puzzle and designer to designer. Lastly, I say that these are not speed solving puzzles so don't expect to do corner cutting and rapid finger trick movement. This is partly due to the gritty texture that increases friction during turning. This recommendation is more for owning a puzzle that can't be acquired elsewhere and the pride of becoming the first (or among the pioneers) to master that puzzle. It's a great feeling to be the first to beat the unbeatable as I was able to do with much hard work and dedication.

dwightn4
11/3/16

My order consisted of two radio knobs to fit a 09 - 10 Pontiac Vibe radio / the knobs were exactly the same as the existing, but therein lies the problem / my suggestion to shapeways is that the flare should only protrude 1/16 - 1/8th of an inch max so as to merely press the new knob onto the metal post / ( I achieved this measurement of protrusion by grinding the excess off - pressed the knob onto the metal post and voila, a volume knob that now works / to be fair, shapeways would not know this / hopefully they will read the afore / Dwight N.

jeremyb75
8/29/16

after ordering from them and them damaging my order they replaced it broken too!!! never buy frim them!

danicad2
8/17/16

Horrible business unless you are flexible and fine with over two month waiting periods, multiple refunds due to insufficient check points, and terrible (barely existent) costumer service.

Rude and unhelpful staff with "no phone service" due to their small sized staff (but with international business ? ?)

Tip for consumers: Only use this service if you are leisurely designing

mariam273
6/8/16

I ordered a clip for my kitchen cabinet wherein it stated on the website that it was made specifically for the type of cabinet I have due to Merillat discontinuing the product.

I ordered two of them, they do not work, I asked to return the product for a refund, and they do not refund on purchased items.

Beware, if you are not sure is what you need, don't buy it, they do not refund monies on purchased items.

heatherh61
6/2/16

I've enjoyed every interaction with Shapeways so far. I've ordered several of my own models and they arrive looking perfect. The production time seems reasonable and matches their estimates. I've sent questions and suggestions to multiple departments and every time the reply is quick (less than a day) and helpful.

I opened a store on Shapeways to sell my models and the interface is clean, easy, and intuitive. I had a harder time opening a Tumblr account to promote my items. I love not having to deal with keeping track of orders or dealing with potential angry customers. Shapeways does all the hard stuff and lets me just relax and design. I adore it.

It's odd to see so many poor reviews on this site, but I haven't been doing business with Shapeways for very long, so it's possible that they weren't as great in the past.

I know nothing about their CEO, so I can't comment on that.

Overall I'd give the site 9/10, and that missing point is only because there are a few functionalities that would improve the design experience (like the option to see if a model will stand on its own once printed). I look forward to doing more business with Shapeways in the future and I absolutely recommend them.

theprofx
12/29/15

Ordered a custom pendant as an anniversary present. Unhappy with the result.
It came much larger than designed and rough with pointed edges (when it was specified to have a round polished finish).
No refund policy. No replying to emails.
No customer service.
I will say the shape and strength appears well crafted and understand some of the difficulties posed by 3D printing, but no communication with their customers is their let down.

jamesb299
12/15/15

They sent me a more thinner almost tin like version of the ring I ordered. I ordered a much larger size and they sent me a ring at least two sizes too small. They never responded to my emails or sent me a new one to be in good form. I have asked them to send the correct size and have not gotten any response.

katharinas
10/9/15

incredibly bad business. would not buy from them ever again. shipped the wrong item and then still have a no return policy? also item was made extremly sloppily and cheaply, a wall plate for nest almost made out of a thicker version of ? paper?? for 33 dollars and they shipped a size so ridiculously small it doesn't fit to a nest at all anyways. horrible. stay away.

mathiasm25
9/25/15

In this day and age to have no return policy is juSt ridiculous. We ordered feet for eames chairs, the description said they were flexible but they weren't, at all and they did not fit the chairs we have. They were cheap, plastic items, not worth the money they charged. Customer service had us take pictures and send in multiple emails but the response was, sorry we don't have a return policy. So now we have 28 feet that don't work. Never again!

markw159
9/8/15

While the quality of workmanship is just abysmal, even worse, is the customer service.

When I brought the issue up to customer service their response was basically, "Too bad."

If I can save one person from the grief, aggravation, not to mention disappointment they'll have to endure in dealing with this outfit, then maybe some good will have come from my experience.

kayleej1
8/7/15

I've given shapeways the benefit of the doubt over and over. Their plated material is crap, their 14k gold plated material turns fingers green in 4 hours and they tell me thats normal and won't issue a refund. I ordered their green polished plastic and it was so rough and not shiny at all. Not even smooth, it looks like mill wax. Their customer service is pathetic and condescending. I hoped to spend thousamds with them manufacturing my new jewelry line, but I will never work with them again. Absolutely terrible and not worth one cent.

boydj4
5/11/15

I used to like Shapeways although they were always kind of expensive especially for small objects because of their "per item" set-up charge. No discount on this fee for printing more than one. I started grouping small objects together on a tree/sprue to bring the cost down to a reasonable level when producing multiple small parts.
Many parts went through and came out perfect... but then a new "error" started appearing indicating that my sprued parts could not be properly printed and that I had to separate them and print them individually.
This is a scam to collect higher fees hidden behind a technical pretense. Objects that had printed without problem before can no longer be printed as the program recognizes multiple items on a sprue and rejects them.
If Shapeway would just drop the per item set-up fee on multiple parts or make it a fixed percentage of the material cost this would not be an issue. But on small parts the main cost is the set up fees and the costs quickly become prohibitive. With this new anti-customer policy I will no longer be using Shapeways.

donnap21
1/6/15

Horrible!!! Terrible customer service. The process is fine in the beginning until you have a question or problem. If you upload a file, use a coupon, and then they reject your file, you can no longer use the coupon. Even if you do print anyway, just a dumb policy. Plus the prices are outrageous! I can have the same item cast in silver for $2 more than they are charging for plastic. They basically won't work with you at all and are terribly disorganized (as far follow thru and answering questions, they have several people answering the same question and then they don't follow thru on what you ask). If you are considering creating pieces for resale, do yourself a favor and find someone else!!!

samsonr
9/10/14

Yes I agree, it sometimes takes for ever to get an item processed.
They give you this very far-off date for their scheduled shipping and then go as fast ot as slow as they want.

Just be aware.

jaimec3
7/9/13

It is good for cheap low quality prototyping, but it takes what feels like forever to get your pieces and they always say they are back ordered.Also, poor customer support.

tophera
4/23/13

Shapeways is a great 3D printing marketplace. You can find the latest neat, unique items for sale here. Maybe one day it will be like Amazon but with all 3D printed things!

ericm10
8/12/11

There are lots of places to get things people make, like etsy and even eBay. What Shapeways adds to this is that they have 3d printing capabilities, which lets the inventor upload a pattern and customer can then buy it in different materials. Do a creative outlet where you do not need to stock the items, and the customer can get it how they want it. All that is great.

Actually doing the work and making the pieces is not always easy. The customer does not need to worry about this, but if you are a designer, things like not being able to make working metal hinges and other limits can be problematic. So there are limits, and it is not perfect, but it is a great link between designers and the general market.

Questions? Get answers from the Shapeways staff and other customers.

Shapeways?