Rover

Rover has a consumer rating of 1.51 stars from 233 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Rover also ranks 160th among Dogs sites. The most common issues with Rover are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 10.1%

• When I created the account, I got a background check and took the very informative online safety course.

• The sitter seemed sweet and responsible when we interviewed her but she wasn't exactly honest.
  • Luckily for me I had been gone and didn't think that my dog sitter would do such a thing.
How would you rate Rover?

“Misunderstanding the Platform”

Megan P.
2/7/20

The Rover platform works as a host to people who work as pet sitters. They are not a hiring company, and the sitters on the platform do not work for Rover. However, I know of plenty mishaps with sitters, but it should be known that those mishaps are few and far between. Overall, it is up to the user's discretion who they choose, and it's always recommended to meet sitters beforehand to guarantee expectations are met.

“The Sitter Responsible for Paralyzing My Dog is Still Available and Recommended for Hire”

marybeth H.
1/12/20

Rover is absolutely not safe and I have all the proof. The sitter responsible for permanently paralyzing my dog is still available and recommended for hire on Rover's website. Users have no idea if any sitter has a prior record of complaints, incidents or accidents, because Rover won't disclose this and they won't remove them. If you're interested you can read the full story here: https://www.babysavers.com/is-rover-safe

sitter (191) dog (174) dog sitter (32) house (77) care (106) home (82) customer service (25) day (119) time (96) background check (15) vet bills (7) dog walker (10)
marybethh2
January 12th, 2020

meganp120
February 7th, 2020
christinar238
March 8th, 2020
Wendy was a great sitter for our dogs, She sent pictures of them while we were gone, & they looked content. She took care of our house and plants too! This was the first time using Rover which was recommended by a good friend.
vickis511
March 25th, 2020
Poorly managed site and would not recommend. After booking a dog walker two times they never showed up for the meet and greet. These people are scammers and a complete waste of time. When I thought I found a reliable dog walker he started changing the times, quit after 2 months and then no showed the last two weeks! These people don't care if your dog is walked or they would show up or at least communicate with the owner if they can't make it. I've had better luck finding reliable people on Care.com.
janetr329
March 27th, 2020
I have had the worst experience with one of Rover's sitters, Carla B. She works in the States (Atlanta, GA) and Canada (west coast and Ontario), so be aware if you come across her name. 2 things to be aware of, she is a CON ARTIST pretending to be a pet sitter, she abandoned my pets after 1 day of sitting (which was when I was already out of the country so was helpless) and she fakes an emergency to end the job. First she wanted to use the rover website, but as we started talking, she indicated she wanted cash, This is called diverting. Do not pay anyone cash, go through the web site all the time to protect yourself. Use the texting system not whatsapp or email to communicate with the sitter because that's your proof should something go awry with the job, and Also, take a copy of their Identification to confirm the name, address and legitimacy of the person working. it cost me a lot of money to replace her at the last moment when she said that I had 10 minutes to find another sitter, I'm not kidding either! she really said that!, I was totally screwed and spent 2 days while in airports trying to get a sitter while my pets were unattended at home without food or water. Also she took the money and RAN!!! $700 down the drain, plus the fees for the replacement sitter. Always ALWAYS pay through the website, if the sitter leaves early, the sitter is responsible for the cost of the next sitter. Know your rights when using this website.
ariannac16
November 20th, 2019
I know a lot of people are having terrible experiences and most likely don't trust rover anymore but you really have to review the employee, maybe even ask them if you can talk on the phone with them and ask them question and if they like take forever to answer or sound like they don't know what their talking about then they most likely don't have experience or even care about this job. This week I am applying to rover and I have many years of experience and not just with dogs, with many other types of animals. My name is Arianna.
nicolek371
July 29th, 2020
I've had multiple positive interactions with many pet sitters on Rover. Most recently, I've found a consistent house sitter for my 4 pets who has watched my home & pets multiple times since I first hired him from the site.
There appears to be a misunderstanding with some people for the role the website plays when an owner is hiring their sitter for pet care. Before deciding to book a service on the site I checked their terms of service and also their descriptions. They are the neutral party/tool that a business owner uses to list their services. I can kind of compare it to Angie's List but specifically for pet care. Sitter's list their personal business, owners hire the business if they think it's a good fit.
When I book my pet sitter, I am hiring the pet sitter for their advertised service.
While I was searching for a trusted house sitter, I interviewed at least 5 different sitters both via messaging and in-person with what I think Rover calls a Meet & Greet. Overall, I was the one taking the time to ensure the person I allowed into my home was a good fit for my needs and my pets' needs.
When hiring anyone, it should be treated with care and intentional conversation. The website also has some handy tips & article that guided me on my questions to ask my pet sitter when determining their fitness for what I expect from my sitter.

Tip for consumers: Interview your sitters. Some appear to do this as more of a hobby and others treat as their full time job. I prefer the latter. I intentionally interview them because it's my money & my hire.

sandim45
February 24th, 2020
Horrible, horrible service. Their rover guarantee of safety is worthless. What they don't tell you is that they only cover the vet bill for anything over $250. The pet sitter was nice, but she didn't even notice that my dog had been bitten, was bleeding, and was in pain. By the time that I picked up my dog (only 2 nights there thankfully), the blood on her ear was dry and there was pus from the infection. When I told the sitter about the vet bill, she said to call rover. Now Rover and the pet sitter are avoiding me. This is going to the better business bureau.
maryf863
March 12th, 2020
Tried to cancel a dog sit 7 days out due to change of travel plans connected to the coronavirus. Amy B. in Fort Collins Colorado texted me that I could cancel up to 3 days prior for a refund. Four days later I canceled. When I did NOT get a full refund her response was "oh that must have been a typo I meant 8 days. Called Rover customer service and they would not intervene even though they had the text messages with time stamps. This speaks to the integrity of the provider as well as company policy. STAY AWAY
linb19
February 5th, 2020
We have had so many last-minute cancellations without explanation. Rover does nothing to help. Just today our sitter was supposed to arrive at 12 pm. At 12:05 pm I get a notification that the stay is canceled and received no explanation from the sitter or Rover. Now I have to leave work early to let my dog outside...

Also, most of the time the sitters do not stay the whole time like they've been hired to do. Make sure you have a key code lock and cameras so you can monitor them.

We're done using this service. We need reliability which Rover apparently cannot provide.
britanih
February 7th, 2020
I'm so so surprised at all these bad reviews. As the sitter, I maintain the highest standard when boarding pets in my home. Emergencies can and do come up, as most sitters are just regular people who have lives outside of their business but that is no excuse for some of the things I'm reading. As the client hiring a sitter it is your upmost responsibility to make sure you are leaving your pet with someone you trust and have a connection with. It is your responsibility to vet out the people you are leaving your property/home/pet to. Where I am from (near milwaukee, WI) I have never heard such bad things about other Rover sitters.
ap364
March 10th, 2020
I am appalled on how greedy Rover is.. they charge 15% of the booking cost PER DAY. So my dog sitter agreed to charge me £20 a day as I need to have my dog full time, 5 days a week, on day care. So in a month with 22 working days Rover wants me to pay £66 just to book. I have never seen or came across such a greedy service provider. I can understand to charge a % on the booking.. but per day?? And when you read their Guarantee there are a lot of exclusions.. so for £66 which is double to what I pay for my dog insurance you are hardly covered. Very disappointing.
michaele582
February 1st, 2020
Rover is fatally flawed. As an owner looking for services it is not possible to delete responses from potential sitters (even if they have declined). More at issue you cannot review a sitter until you have booked them. Two potential sitters stood me up and a third their dog attacked mine at the meet and greet. Many of the reviews sitters have are from other sitters and what better way to stake someone out to rob then to pretend to be a sitter to find out about a person's plans to be on vacation. Be scared, be very scared.
mariol149
January 14th, 2020
My dog caught a fatal disease while being boarded by a Rover.com dog sitter. I noticed that he was not normal when I picked him up from a 7 day stay with a Rover Sitter named Roseli L. in Delray Beach Fl. near Military Trail and West Atlantic Blvd. When I brought him home, he seemed different. A few hours latter we noticed he was shaking and in pain. We immediately brought him to the Animal Hospital. He was treated with pain meds, and had a blood test. The next day he was worse. We sent him to the main Vet Hospital in West Palm Beach. He died a few hours latter. He was perfecty healthy when we dropped him off. He had been with this Rover Sitter two previous times. with no problem. We suspect that he was poisoned, bitten by a poisonous snake or caught a serious disease from another dog that was in the sitter's house. Neither the sitter or Rover were of any help in this situation. I even paid extra for Vet services through Rover. Also, there is a Vet hospital within walking distance of the sitter's house. I also reminded the sitter that if there was any problem, to use my vet, and he would bill me. The sitter obviously did not check for dogs shots which she is supposed to do. She didn't even ask me about shots. They are supposed to. When at the vet, he was weighed and lost over 2lbs, that alot for a Chihuahua Mix, also his Temp was 103. He must have been in this condition for days, and the sitter did nothing, didn't even contact us. We miss our dog dearly, He was the most beautiful little guy. If you need boarding, please do not work with Rover.com. Spend the extra money and board with a Veterinary Hospital. It would be alot cheaper than loosing your beloved pet, and paying over $5K in Vet fees to try to save him.
dashad4
January 3rd, 2020
Does not advocate for anyone. Is only looking for their best interest and that is themselves and taking their cut. They don't respond or intervene in emergencies. They ask you to contact the sitter/owner and be as hands off as possible. If your dog is lost or killed they will pay you 500.00 and wipe their hands clean.
jona150
November 28th, 2019
My sitter came in the morning and fed the dog twice, the cat once, and did not let our dog out to go to the bathroom. The sitter took 2 pictures and then saved the second picture for the evening visit and checked in but was never there. After she scammed us on the second visit she canceled the rest of her visits. We called the emergency line and they said they would send us an email. Do not trust this company.
dodgeab
April 1st, 2020
Did you know in certain states it is required by law that anyone caring for animals in their home must submit to inspection and wait for approval by Dept Of Agriculture to be properly licensed in order to operate that is daycare dog sitting cat sitting etc
Speaking from experience the test you have to pass on Rover in order to become a sitter you are allowed to take as many times as possible until you pass that does not make one fit to be easy consider caring for other people's loved ones. Watching videos going back and answering questions is not proof one is responsible enough. If you don't believe me try it for yourself who's to say one does not have the video running on their iPad looking at the questions being asked on their phone and just scrolling through to get the answers Or failing and going back and trying again and again until they pass that is what makes you a sitter on rover
zhouyanz
January 9th, 2019
It was horrible experience we got last weekend 1/6/2019. Our two dogs were sent to Rover.com dog sitter home. But one of our dogs Roxy ran away from her back yard and was hit by unknown car not far away from her house. We found Roxy body in the intersection 83 and northfield Dr. Our whole family are really sad. We post this message because we want to share our experience with other people who send the dogs to Rover.com
joannaw48
January 8th, 2020
Please take note of our experience with Angelic M. (in Los Angeles) and consider hiring someone else! She did not stay and house sit at our home as booked to do, she did not let our dog out for a walk and potty break for 18 whole hours, and did not feed and give morning medication to the cat in the actual morning! This is dangerous to any animal's, or human's for that matter, health and well-being. It was an extremely stressful and upsetting experience as we discovered while thousands of miles away visiting family for the holidays that she was repeatedly lying to us via phone calls and text messages, saying things were fine at the home and with the animals when in fact she was not there at all, and lying that she had fed and given the medication to the cat. We have a close friend and neighbor who had alerted us that she had not seen Angelic at our home at night nor in the morning since leaving a few hours after we had headed to the airport. We then checked our two outside cameras, which record 24/7 to keep an eye out for packages at our doorsteps and driveway, and were shocked to see that she had not been in the home overnight nor in the morning yet. I was so concerned for our sweet dog, it was nearing 18 hours since his last walk - which was the one I had given him before leaving! I honestly could not believe it especially since we had met her twice in person before the dates needed and had verbally discussed all instructions as well as written them all out ahead of time. To this day, she has continued with stories and not admitted whatever the real reason is that she was not at our home and why she would so irresponsibly leave our dog without a walk for 18 hours. We were point blank with her, telling her we had these outside cameras and saw that she had not been at our home nor gone in or out of the doors to take care of the animals - she made up another story saying maybe she needed to move more to be picked up by the cameras. No, that is not how these cameras work, they are 24/7 recorded with color and sound and HD. I've never experienced anyone who would outright lie even knowing we have neighbors and camera footage showing she was not here. When asked if something had come up in her plans that would prevent her from taking care of the house and animals as booked, she said she would be there to do so but at that point we could not trust her with the care of our animals. We had no idea if she would pull this again during our trip and did not want to have to keep verifying if she was actually doing the job Thankfully we had the help of several friends and neighbors who stepped forward to cover the care of our home, walking the dog, and feeding the dog and cats so we fired Angelic and asked her to leave. I have reported this person to Rover.com as she did not do the job booked and I feel her actions of not walking our dog or giving the cat's medication in a timely manner were downright dangerous to their health and so extremely negligent. I have no idea what the real reason is she chose to not actually house sit and take care of our pets, but we certainly don't appreciate having to track her down and be fed stories. We will not ever be using her again and probably not Rover either.
div3
January 2nd, 2020
The sitter gave false information to Rover that my dog bite them and broke skin which was completely fabricated and the company suspended my account without giving us a chance to explain outside. Awful humans awful company
je198
January 28th, 2020
I'm really shocked and saddened by the amount of bad experiences people are reporting. To those who had a negative experience with your pet under a Rover sitter, I sincerely feel for you, I cannot even imagine. The truth is, these sitters are from a pool of the general public who sign up to become a sitter to choose from. It's an unfortunate fact of life that some people are unprofessional and dishonest.

I want everyone to know there are definitely good people who take this job seriously. Speaking for myself, I've been a Rover dog sitter since 2013 (leaving this review in 2020) with 5 Star reviews. When I created the account, I got a background check and took the very informative online safety course. I'm a dog owner myself, and I enjoy working with my people and animal clients. I have always treated dogs and other animals I care for just as I would care for my own.
If you're new to Rover, you may use code 881520 for $20 off your first service. Never expires. Can be used on any Rover sitter. :)
krisw82
January 7th, 2020
Years ago I found a great person on Rover so I tried it again for a 9 day trip. We met twice with the sitter, wrote very detailed instructions to refer to and stressed many times to not let our dogs out of our fenced in 1 acre. The 2nd day of our trip I got a call from a friend, not the sitter, telling me my dogs picture was on Facebook. My good community trying to find his home and owner as he was laying in the middle of the road, hit by a car! My neighbor had CONVINCE the sitter to go with him to the vet's office where my dog was euthanized. The sitter had ONE JOB - keep my dog's alive. He failed miserably and it took me a week to clean my house from all of the dog and cat pee. I must be a terrible judge of character. When I read Rover's policy I decided to not even call them. You have to report this kind of stuff within 48hours and they state that you have to deal with the sitter first to receive any sort of vet bill or cleaning compensation. The sitter's broken down car left oil stains all over my driveway, I'm quite certain the sitter does not have the $2000 I am out thanks to this. I will NEVER, EVER use Rover again.
dh175
December 21st, 2019
DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE! The animal
Sitter was so responsive at the beginning. Took my money in advance saying that I had to pay I. Advance to book it. She took my money and used it for drugs or alcohol and did not show up not even on her first day! We called her and she sounded drunk or drugged out and unresponsive! A complete crook that we trusted our añilamos and home To! Stay away and get someone you know!
francesm113
March 29th, 2019
We had a sitter booked for over two weeks (Kara S. from Denver in Cherry Creek) and then she cancelled on us last minute because apparently her roommate decided she didn't want a big dog in the house. I contacted customer service to leave her a bad review and was informed that it wasn't possible to do so unless she actually watched the dog. Then I asked that she be banned from the site and they informed me that she would be "monitored." So, basically this girl has ZERO responsibility to follow through on her commitment. We will never use this service again. Our trip had to be cancelled.
christofft
April 19th, 2020
So I will start used this for a cat sitter for two days. All they had to do was have someone come in feed my cat and change litter. The first day went perfect only reason they aren't getting one star. Now here is the issue the sitter that get assigned I don't know the system on their end but some how even after they get assigned they can cancel at any time. So when I wake up the next day checking to see if the sitter came. They never showed up Apparently the cancelled last minute and rover couldn't reassign another sitter leaving my cat hanging until I got back home later in the day thank god. Of course he was so hungry when I got home I felt terrible for entrusting him to this app. Never again, I'll just stick to a local service next time.

Thing could of been way worse if it was a longer trip and this happened in the middle.

888-727-1140 is the main numbe to call. Hang out until you talk to the right person.