Review of RockAuto

Tel: 608-661-1376
service@rockauto.com

stevenf81
11/14/17

I ordered three of the same part, two were right one was wrong. Their website seems designed to frustrate you into giving up. Last order from me
Steve F

jimmyc77
11/14/17

I ordered a kit on Monday to repair the heating on my daughter's car. I paid extra for next day delivery. Tuesday afternoon parts arrive. I'm very satisfied until I open the box and find most of the parts are missing. They wouldn't ship a complete kit until they had confirmation that the incomplete and useless kit they sent me was on its way back to them. A long story short, I got the complete kit Friday afternoon. The fact that I had spent extra for next day delivery for something that took 4 days to get to me due to their error fell on deaf ears. They did point out that they were being so kind as to ship the complete kit at no extra cost to me. My, how good of them. no offer of a small in-store credit or anything like that. Just a "It sucks to be you." Up- to this point, I've had nothing but good things to say about RockAuto.

lukem70
10/31/17

The parts Rock Auto sent me are cheap. They use plastic parts where the OEM part is metal. They have a terrible return policy. Their website is misleading. I thought I was ordering the correct part because it came up for my year, make and model, but it was for a year newer. Not only did it waste my time, they refused to pay for return shipping. I order everything on the internet and no company has ever done this to me.

richardi18
10/31/17

I ordered six engine coils with two day shipping.
Rock Auto charge of $247.73 went through my Visa, but I wasn't sent a confirmation for the part.
I must have tried twenty time online to find out yet I wasn't sent any info other than it was charged.

They have no customer service and I called anyways to see if I could cancel the order. This guy kept telling me to go online speaking over my voice. This is extremely rude. I told him my I'm unable to get anywhere online so he hung up.

Really! You take my payment. You provide no confirmation. You hang up. Wow. Online info refers more to what the carrier's do with packages.

The worst service ever. I'd not recommend purchasing from this joke of a place. You don't save money when you have to deal with such a headache. I hope they go out of business. I lived in Wausau WI and this isn't how business is conducted.

timh124
10/26/17

I used to be a very loyal customer, but I think I am looking for a new parts supplier. Too bad, I really used to like these guys, but I'm getting concerned about getting ripped off. The big changes I have noticed is that the prices don't seem to have changed much but the shipping prices have increased killing their margin, they used to ship promptly but over the last year or so they have gotten very slow about processing shipping orders and customer service used to be decent and seems to have disappeared.
I have purchased lots of parts from these guys and generally always was pretty positive. I would pick the part that I wanted, order it take the cheapest shipping option. The thing that was great is that I could count on the parts being about 1/2 the price of what I could get them for locally. I checked this regularly as I have been ordering from them regularly about 1 to 2 times per month on average over the last 7 years or so to the tune of several hundred dollars per year possibly up to $1000.

michaelc524
10/26/17

I ordered a part for my car and the part that was shipped was incorrect. I went through the tedious process of returning an item to them and lost the shipping fee and ordered another part that I was hoping would be the correct item. It was ALSO incorrect. I again went through the tedious process and shipped it back losing another $15ish dollars. Instead of this terrible company giving MY money back they gave me a store credit!! Why would I EVER want to buy another thing from a company that can't get the parts right and then keeps YOUR money when they are wrong?? I'll never buy anything from this place again and will never refer ANY of the mechanics I know to them, including my dad who has been a mechanic for the state of Arkansas for 38 years. Not like they care. I'll just chalk the lost money up as a learning fee to learn how terrible it is to do any business with this horrible company.

johns2467
10/25/17

I'm writing about Rip-off Auto, I mean Rockauto. Simply put I ordered lower control arms for my 2007 Honda Accord. With my car on the lift and parts taken off, we opened the box to find they sent upper control arms. Since the car was disabled I had to purchase the correct parts from a local parts store for more $. So in returning these parts, I was credited only some of my money less $17.00 shipping and restocking fees. They have no call center and everything is done via email. They basically told me tough beans to me. I recommend spending a few more dollars and going somewhere who can tell the difference between upper and lower. Terrible experience!

todda34
10/24/17

I purchased (4) Shock Absorber's and they arrived quickly. I installed the first 3 without any issue. Due to the Corrosion in the North East, I was forced to "CUT" the shocks off of my truck in the Front to facilitate the replacement. When I opened the Box for the 4th Shock, I noticed that "MONROE" mis-boxed the shock and I received a 34529 instear of a 34520 and they are completely incompatible for the application (Front vs Rear) (again, this was NOT ROCKAUTO's fault).

I went to call them and discovered that you had to do the return on-line without any Customer Service. The Descriptions said they would ship it out as soon as it entered the FEDEX System. I quickly boxed it up, labeled it and watched it put into the hands of a FEDEX EMPLOYEE. I then called their phone number and was treated with such disrespect, ZERO CARE for Customer Service and told that he was going to "TERMINATE THIS CALL".

I told him that I was forced to "CUT THE SHOCK OFF" and I can not safely drive the vehicle without a Shock and then I asked him how can I get the CORRECT SHOCK mailed out today as I have done everything asked of me and he again told me he was going to TERMINATE THE CALL....

LESSON LEARNED = If you get the Correct Parts (as I have numerous times before) it works well and you can save a lot of money. If you get the Wrong Part, you are at the Mercy of a Computer and you can hope and pray they send out the right part the 2nd time around.

karll45
10/24/17

I ordered a slave cylinder from rock auto for my car. the mechanic installed the part as was recommended by the warranty. The part turned out to be defective and now i am left with a high bill to the mechanic and no vehicle because rock auto denies that their part is faulty and that it is my problem for going with a mechanic. at least they could cover a part of the bill as they screwed me over with the part.

robertc395
10/16/17

Want to thank Rockauto great prices on parts and accessories and also for the great customer service they provided for me great service and very prompt couldnt ask for anything more

mikes606
10/11/17

I couldn't return 2 new controll arms cause they were 10 days past return.the sway bar links broke in a week.I couldn't wait for new ones. Went to napa to get new ones. Sent the bad ones to the same warehouse as the controll arms.they said it was the wrong place to send them to and wouldn't forward them or refund me.I already got new ones since I needed the car.So lost the sway bar price & didn't need new ones

colinw36
10/3/17

Bought a water pump for my Audi and was send a water pump for a Toyota but in the Audi box.
It has cost me shipping, duty and no I have to rent a car and re-order a new part.
After hours of navigating their phone automated system I finally got a human that was less interested in customer service and more interested in his next break... they offered no concessions, no compromise absolutely nothing to help me out.

luisp57
9/27/17

I purchased for shocks from rock auto on November 2016. They worked well for about 7 months but then started bottoming out so i tried to get a warranty exchange form rock auto because at the time of purchased they stated it had a lifetime warranty. I was told that they no longer work with this manufacturer and will not honor the warranty and was to to contact the manufacturer. That is horrible and very dishonest and i will tell the world that rock auto does not stand by the products they sell.

ellisa11
9/25/17

My most recent purchase was an instrument cluster for my 03 Chevy Silverado. When looking at the part, there is a video showing you how easy it is to install - I had thought I would not even try to mess with "disassembling" the dash. I got a $600-700 dealership job done in 1/2 hour for $135. Ordered 2:00 PM Friday (web site said to expect by a week after the following Monday) and got it in 24 hours. Shipped from the rebuilder (Dorman) that had to set the mileage before shipping. Dorman did forget to reset the hours - not a big deal. My many previous purchases may not have been quite as outstanding as this one, but all quite satisfactory. I really like their web interface - how easy it is to see the variety of brands/quality for what you need. I have bought all my parts for my truck and my wife's car for the last few years here. I am lucky to have a friend that will help with smaller repairs and a local dealership that will let me bring parts.

richardb351
9/14/17

In the past 10 years RockAuto has gotten worse and worse. I no longer use them because of problems in ordering. I once ordered a catalytic converter and it was the OEM made in America $700 the O2 sensor holes were in the wrong place after installing my mechanic found this out RockAuto would not take it back!!!

jenniferh307
9/12/17

First of all, I'm a female who knows nothing about cars. I purchased a part after putting in my cars information. Once I received the item and brought it down to the repair shop and they started working on my car they then told me it was the wrong part. It cost me 1/2 an hour in labor to be told this so I'm now out $50 because of Rock Autos mistake. The parts sent match up to a Ford truck- I have a Volkswagen car. I initiated the return and refund process, sent back the unopened package and had to pay return shipping even though rock auto advertises this part fits my car and it does NOT. I sent the return back. Originally they refused the package from the post office but then a few days later received it. They have had my return since September 5th, their website has said "will be inspected by September 8". They have had my return for 7 days. Buyers beware! They will send you parts that do not fit YOUR car and then who knows how long until you receive your refund

deanb80
9/7/17

Sent wrong part twice called customer service asked of they could make it right, they said they couldn't give me anything but a refund which I want but they charged me for return label even though it was there fault. I will never buy anything from them again can't say enough bad about them.

ryanb144
9/6/17

Just like the title says, 2 different orders in a row resulted in defective parts. Their "customer service" diesn't care, refuses to provide any assistance, constantly tells you to use the site, and then hangs up on you. I will NEVER buy parts from rockauto again. Not willing to sacrafice decent customer service in order to save a couple bucks.

ms457
9/2/17

RockAuto sent me the wrong part and then charged me to send it back by not refunding me the shipping charges I paid to get it. Not very good business, and their customer service really sucks.

earlr18
8/28/17

Got a starter ,wrong one and I called and they will not help you . Never again will I use this company, they are the worst!!!

thisismyg
8/16/17

I purchased 4 shocks and 2 fog lights. The shipping department boxed up the fog lights in the same box as the 4 shocks... Box arrived and fog lights were broken. Called customer service and was told that I had to go online to process complaint. Their customer service does not handle complaints or fix anything. Terrible customer service and very stupid idiotic shipping department.

melvinc27
8/7/17

I purchased a catalytic convertor from Eastern Catalytic via RockAuto. It was the first product I ever bought from RockAuto's website. This item failed after 3 months of use. It was advertised to last either 5 years or 50,000 miles. Eastern Catalytic claimed that I was responsible for the failure because the exhaust leaving the engine is allegedly overheated, thereby burning the converter. However, I am certain Eastern Catalytic doesn't supply/make quality products, which subsequently, reflects poorly on RockAuto, since they promote EC to their customers. Although, I am not an automotive expert; I am certain the quality is poor because it is improbable that my vehicle is the cause of the failure if my original OEM converter, which worked well for 10+ years, did not fail due to overheating/burning. It simply became less efficient over years of use. I still have it and the the internal structure is totally intact.

Bottomline, I didn't get a refund from EC, and RockAuto didn't try to meet me half-way to keep a new customer. I lost $300. Stay away from RockAuto. They don't care about their customers.

frankz40
7/27/17

I worked for Auto Wares and worked for Auto Zone as a counter sales and driver. Your service online I think is excellent. The parts I ordered arrived the very next day.I compared your prices with auto zones, Orielly's and NAPA. Your prices were much lower. Excellent job!

gregl76
7/25/17

have been a happy customer over the years untill now, they have changed shipper to dhl very slow,my orders used to be in australia in a matter of day's but now it's two week's and still not in the country i think i may need to find a new part's supplier!has rockauto dropped the ball or is it greed,sad but i wonder

craigl49
7/12/17

I've been a rockauto customer for about a year now. My latest order somehow disappeared in transit. The tracking numbers only went part way and now it is past the "estimated delivery date" and there is no way for me to find out what the deal is. After many attempts to contact rockauto and being played with by phone menus referring me to there website which is another circular pain in the a$$...I finally looked for a direct phone line from an unaffiliated website. I finally got through to one of rockauto's so-called customer service people and it just went down hill from there.
They flat out said that they cannot reverse my order or payment and they cannot track my order any more than I can. The a$$hole actually laughed at me.
Never sacrifice good service for seemingly lower prices...which generally means inferior parts or factory seconds that didn't made past quality control to begin with. A$$holes!
Forever done with them.

Whare is my package. An $85 inside door panal. Part # 4029357733 .ca ordered 12/22/16 rock auto had no problem taking my money but apparently don't know how to make a shipment. Pissed

By Shawn c.

Questions? Get answers from the RockAuto staff and other customers.

4 Photos for RockAuto