Review of RockAuto

Tel: 608-661-1376
service@rockauto.com

charlest240
6/13/19

I bought an alternator from rockauto back in March of 2018, installed it, and my car broke down on the side of the road by June 2019. Diagnosis: it was a faulty alternator. I checked with my mechanic to see if there was anything done wrong with the installation, but he confirmed it was a faulty alternator that was bound to fail sooner rather than later.

I contacted rockauto with this issue, since a new alternator shouldn't fail in 14 months, and they said there was nothing they were obligated to do since the warranty on the part was only one year.

Instead of standing behind their product, they're hiding behind their policy. Their lemon of an alternator ultimately cost me time, money, & caused much frustration. I will never order through them again and would caution anyone thinking about ordering parts through them that they are rolling the dice and once the house has your money they will never give it back.

steveo143
5/22/19

Rodney,
Thank you for your response.
I guess the point was lost on you or sarcasm is not your strong suit.
I tried to make a valid point about my issues, as well as those of the same people who turned me on to Rockauto to begin with.
In fact, no response would have been better than your irrelevant commentnow I'm just pissed off.
Goodbye Rockauto.
Steve

From: RockAuto Customer Service <service@rockauto.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:03
Subject: [Ticket#104820878] Amazon is kicking your butts at your own game

Hello,
We're glad to hear that you look forward to receiving our magnets! Most of our warehouses stock magnets and include them in the box, but some do not. Magnets can also be purchased on RockAuto.com by clicking here.
For a chance to have your vehicle featured on a RockAuto magnet (or another publication, such as our monthly newsletter or social media), please see: Tips for Taking Pictures of your Car
Rodney
RockAuto Customer Service
www.rockauto.com

Dear Rockauto Service Team,
Of course, I've been a regular customer. You guys have been good to me and that is
difficult for me to say about ANY business. So thank you.
I've noticed that the last few orders are getting more expensive and the shipping cost
is increasing. By a lot.
Rockauto is an auto parts ONLY supplier, right? Specialized. Amazon, of course, is
not. Seems like that would be a marketing advantage for Rockauto.
In the case of this order I reference here, I saw three different shipping payments
from three different warehouses, for 6 items.
Today, I ordered the exact same items I had in my Rockauto "cart" from Amazon. I will
get it tomorrow and the total is $50 bucks less than the same order would have been
at Rockauto.
Based on my order, that represents 30% more if I get it from Rockauto and it would
take a week to get it. We're only talking about a $150 dollar order. The amazon
price's per item were a couple of dollars more than Rockauto's price's but I still
came out way better with Amazon...and it will all be delivered by tomorrow, not in a
week.
I hate amazon. I'd love nothing better than to use Rockauto than Amazon. It simply
cannot be justified as it is now.
Consider creating a flat shipping rate or provide free of discounted shipping to
"prime" customers. I understand the shipping costs are great profit centers for
people selling junk on TV adds but should not be part of an auto parts suppliers
business model. The little fridge magnets thrown in the box are nice but not worth 30%
and a week of down time.
You guys gotta do better. Until Rockauto changes this practice, it's Amazon and the
local (albeit horrible to shop in) parts houses for me and my six vehicles.
Regards,
OZ

ricards1
5/19/19

Bought brake pads for my 07 Acura TL-S. Brake squeal really bad after I installed the pads. I thought that the pads is defective or a wrong kind of pads. Because I heard certain pads doesn't work with Brembo brake. So I bought different kind of pads. But the squeal it's getting better. Week went by, brake only squeal once in a while. So I decided to return the second pads I bought. And they charge me to ship it back. Paid twice for shipping.

lonniet14
5/15/19

"For a while now I've been checking out the prices on Rockauto but have always bought locally. I finally decided to buy Moog sway bar links for my pickup through Rockauto. Got the links shipped to me and installed within a couple days. Well the unexpected happened and one of the links went bad just after a couple months. The whole return experience and cost of returning the link was ridiculous. I will not buy from Rockauto ever again. I'm sticking with my local parts stores.
Another thing, what the hell has happened to Moog quality. I've had so many Moog parts fail in last a couple years. I'm done with Moog too. Better off buying the damn Autozone brand."

johnk1289
5/14/19

I placed an order on Sunday that is supposed to arrive on Wednesday. I never received an email confirmation, but have the electronic receipt. Looking up the order on their website, it can't be found, so I have no idea if I will get the parts or when I'll get them. Because I can't trace an order, I can't check on it. Their website offers no other way to contact them except for having the order available. I'm kicking myself for not ordering through Amazon.

larryw393
5/13/19

FAILED FUEL PUMP CAUSES INJECTION PUMP TO FAIL. ROCKAUTO'S POLICIES WON'T ALLOW WARRANTY CREDIT AND WON'T COVER DAMAGE COSTS. GOODBYE ROCKAUTO
On January 25, 2018 I bought a Rockauto lift pump for my 2001 RAM diesel. I replaced my existing lift pump even though it was working fine because I knew how important the lift pump was for protecting the injection pump. Slightly over one year later their lift pump failed, also taking out my injection pump. The lift pump had been professionally installed. The lift pump cost me $145 (and $130 for installation) but the rebuilt injection pump cost me over $2000. I contacted Rockauto, telling them that their part was responsible for the injection pump failure and they should pay for its repairs. I basically got a form email back telling me where to file a warranty claim on the lift pump. THEN, later, I found out that since it had been a year my only warranty option was for a replacement pump; no cash, no credit, no nada!
I have bought four parts from Rockauto - and two of them have been defective (the other was a brake caliper). I was pretty grumpy after paying TWICE for the installation of the brake caliper but I am beyond angry at the huge costs to repair damage from their failed lift pump which they will only replace, not giving credit. The most upsetting part of this, however, is the impersonal, unsympathetic way they responded to my situation! I see no reason to purchase anything from them again. Those shops that offer 24 month NAPA parts and labor warranties are looking very, very good!

miriamm61
5/10/19

I ordered several parts for my 2000 Ford pick-up and when they arrived I found that only the small items were the correct parts, I contacted customer service and they referred me to a warehouse, the warehouse said they couldn't help because it was RockAuto's order....we went around and around with nothing getting done to rectify the problem. I offered to take the wrong parts to the warehouse to exchange them and they told me that I couldn't do that. I finally ended up reordering the right parts from another company, but I had to keep the wrong parts that I had received. This company does not care about customer satisfaction, the employees in customer service are either uninformed or just plain don't care, or both! I will never use RockAuto again and I am telling everone I know to stay away from them. Fraud is the only word to describe this company. The time and money spent was a lot higher than if I had gone to any other company in the first place.

chadw170
4/16/19

I've purchase several parts from rockauto that have been great. First sign of a problem, customer service is a joke. No call center, terrible response time. Their return reason response limits characters so they can't possibly know the real problem. Customer service responses are one keystroke condecentions. It's a joke to them.

vickiv31
3/22/19

I ordered a mass air flow sensor online for my BMW, the part matched the description perfectly, but when receiving it didn't match original one, the box it came in said made in Germany, but on the part itself it said made in China. I took my car into shop and mechanic said it wouldn't work with my computer. They had to order part from dealer and it did work. I tried to do the return slip but when asked if it was installed in car I hit yes on accident, so then I tried to go back to redo it and it wouldn't let me. They don't have a phone number to contact them directly and have it to where you have to communicate through email only, sent email and never got a response. I contacted my bank and will be disputing the charge. Terrible service and false advertisement.

samg186
3/19/19

Terrible experience!
I will never use rockauto again!
I am also making it a point to tell everyone I know to stay away!
No customer service sucks!

chrisc895
3/10/19

purchased power steering hose for a tracker received 3 days after promised then when installing the ends were to big to fit cant get refund or the right part . mistake ordering from them.

kylea70
3/5/19

I ordered front end parts for my car . Almost 1000 dollars worth of parts . I had to replace half the parts a month later . Very poor quality parts . My brother ordered a crank kit these dip $#*!s put the wrong main bearings in the kit . Customer service is trash . They want you to foot the bill to return the wrong parts that they sent you . I will never use these jokers again .

kevino131
3/2/19

I will never order through rock auto again. The customer service is Non-existent. A void. not there. **** ****. got me once, never again. blows balls never, ever again. A simple phone call would answer what I may need. The returns process is horrible. cannot think that this would be worth the loss of customers. the frustration is immense. Never again. And, I have cars that will need care forever.

joem619
2/18/19

I purchased a kit containing rotors and pads for the front and rear of the vehicle. There appeared to be a defect in the bonding material that holds the pad to the metal bracket.

Rock auto was contacted and stated the pads werent covered eventhough it was within 90 days. They stated the pads were only covered for defects in workmanship, which this clearly was. Their warranty page also stated the parts werent returnable.

I sourced pads locally to resolve the issue as I didnt have the luxury of time to fight with them. Afterwards I filed a complaint with the wisconsin better business bureau to recoup the additional cost incurred to resolve the issue which got me nowhere.

Rock auto, after being told i had resolved the issue was generous enough to offer me warranty pads. I stated I had already resolved the issue and no longer needed pads and again asked for a partial refund...I'll give you a guess as to how that went. I mean, I am here posting a review, right?

So I now have some new paper weights and, in the hopes of saving someone else this headache am taking the time to advise anyone who sees this to STAY AWAY FROM ROCK AUTO!!

Purchase the parts locally ornamental if you do go online, check that the vendor has a customer service department you can actually call and that they're a reputable company. Rock autos customer care is only accessible via email which is beyond a joke.

coryl35
2/11/19

This is a joke of a company. Their communication is ridiculous. They do not care about you or your order, only when they have their money. Spent over $1k, over $600 of that stuff was damaged in shipping. I never took possession of any of it, yet they will not refund my money. They tell you to inspect everything before signing, as you should, but when you do and refuse due to damage your funds are tied up for weeks for something you had no part in. Their service is the most ignorant ive ever dealt with, and just keep repeating the same stuff over and over regardless of the questions you ask. I accepted a box full of stuff that had a plastic grill in it. When I opened the grill ($30) it was broken. They tell me now I have to go to a body shop to get an estimate before they will do anything, or just tuff luck. Stay away from Rock Auto. They say no customer service to keep rates low... that's BS. They don't have customer service because they don't want to hear all of the complaints. If they would practice better shipping procedures, theyd save a lot more than having someone answer the phones. DO yourself a favor and DO NOT SHOPE WITH ROCK AUTO

shawnb168
2/7/19

I use rockauto daily.. 99% of everything on there has a picture so you can look right at the part.. a lot of the time I use it to make sure I'm getting the right part locally.. and when I can't get it local I know it's avalible through rockauto.. sometimes I even use there oem part numbers for the local dealerships.

We've had a few issues with faulty parts and it was know hassle at all they took care of it.

The other good thing is there has never been any extra duty ever.. it's always what you pay when you buy..

robertr784
2/3/19

i smelled a rat when I saw and agreed to a $45.00 shipping on less than one pound of heater hose. Boy did they load the wrong items on and with different numbers and makes with warehouse from all over the country. Your return does not go back to the same warehouse. This "little fact was unknown at the time" Needless to say, the cost of return and time was not justified. .What a racket.

normanb82
1/31/19

If your looking for customer service at all do not purchase anything from RockAuto.com. I purchased a steering gearbox for my 2001 Excursion, installed it and the steering got worse. Believing that this brand new gear box was manufactured properly by BBB / VISION, I proceeded with the changing of the rest of the steering linkage (tie rod ends inner then outer, then track bar, stabilizer and finally ball joints, all were slightly worn but not loose. Finally took into two separate shops who both diagnosed it as the gear box, the one shop tried to adjust the gearbox but it was not assembled properly. I needed a safe vehicle for work and did not have time to remove the gear box send it back and wait for a new one, so I purchased a remanufactured one locally, the vehicle steers great.

All I wanted to do was return the gearbox for a refund I understand that I might have to eat some shipping costs and was ok with that. Rock Auto would only provide a replacement gearbox, which I find unacceptable. Considering all my local suppliers will take a product under warranty and give a full refund.

This was my first and last purchase with Rock Auto

joea274
1/24/19

Their prices are cheap but one reason is that they don't give any technical support. First of all, there's no provision on their website for even asking a question and if you do figure out how to get in touch with them they know so little about what their selling that they can't tell you what color their black distributor caps are.

Another time they shipped me the wrong part in the right box. Their initial response was that return shipping was my responsibility because they didn't make a mistake. It was like pulling teeth to get them to agree that I didn't make a mistake either and their issue should be with their supplier.

I'm done with them.

tomf328
1/5/19

Rockauto sent me a part that did not fit my car, despite their description that it did. I contacted them via Paypal (I could not find contact info on their site). After three unanswered messages, Paypal refunded my payment. Them they sent me an email calling me a thief.

Tip for consumers: They do OK until you neeed their non-existant customer service.

jimm1563
1/1/19
• Updated review

I am buying parts at rock auto again, I guess only because of the prices on some things.
But I'm planning ahead so that I know the parts will be here before I need them.
So I guess my advice is, if you have time you can save some money buying from rock auto
If you're broke down and need it fixed right away, go to your local parts store.
Also be sure that you're ordering the right part
If you order the wrong one you're probably going to be stuck with it.

“Poor customer service”
12/1/17
• Previous review

I ordered parts for my truck
They look like they were damaged in shipping I contacted rock auto
They started the process to replace the damaged parts
I was told the new parts would be shipped immediately which which they did not ship until the day before I was supposed to have them which is today (Dec 1,2017)
so as Im sitting here I still dont have my parts
So tomorrow I will be going to local auto parts place buying the parts I need and installing them and then I will proceed to fight with rock auto to take the parts back which Im sure I will get nowhere and will be stuck with.
I have bought parts from rock auto since 2009 unless something changes with the customer service this will be the last order for me.

pauls1058
1/1/19

DO NOT BUY FROM ROCK AUTO...unless you want total disappointment and frustration.
When there is an issue with a part they wash their hands to the problem and won't refund your money and expect you to pay return shipping on defective parts.
I have purchased thousand of $$$$ of parts and they stick their nose up in the air like I don't exist.
Recently I have had a few situations where I received defective parts and they won't make good on those parts.
ROCK AUTO HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE ONLY EMAIL RESPONSE AND THEIR ATTITUDE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH ORDER IS YOUR PROBLEM NOT THEIRS.

And now they charge tax and shipping your better off going to your local auto parts stores where they stand behind what they sell.
Do your self a favor and buy local you will save time and aggravation and money.

keithm262
12/29/18

Per title. The number they provide takes you to corporate headquarters that does not deal with customer service. Press 3 for other. Phone hangs up.

I was going to return the part to at least get some of my money back. Having read through these reviews I wonder whether I should bother as it does not sound like that is a guarantee and I will just be out more money...

BTW, part of their message is something about how they don't do customer service to keep their rock bottom prices. Seems to me its more like we keep our prices low to entice people in and then send them garbage and keep the money. What a joke.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

bobr248
12/13/18

Bought KYB shocks and they were defective. Returned them and were replaced but new ones also defective. Now can't find how to return to RockAuto for warranty replacement. No way to contact by phone or email. Horrible service. Will never use them again regardless of the price difference.

lisaj306
11/16/18

"BEWARE! This will be our first and last time ordering. Good-luck finding a way to contact customer service and only online. We ordered brake drums and rotors for a Toyota Tundra, they came to us defective. We had them installed and then went to get our brake's bled and they said our rotors/drums were warped. Well, it's now our problem and not covered under warranty. We were told by the brake shop that they were defective." Never Again!!!!!Never Again!!!!!Never Again!!!!! Never Again!!!!! Never Again!!!!!

Whare is my package. An $85 inside door panal. Part # 4029357733 .ca ordered 12/22/16 rock auto had no problem taking my money but apparently don't know how to make a shipment. Pissed

By Shawn c.

Questions? Get answers from the RockAuto staff and other customers.

6 Photos for RockAuto