Review of RockAuto

Tel: 608-661-1376
service@rockauto.com

ss331
4/11/18

I was. was a Rock Auto customer for years, made many purchases over last 10 years. This last experience was the one to award Rock Auto with losing yet another customer. Ordered 2 smaller emissions parts. Both fit in approximately 5"x5" box. Paid extra for faster shipping as I needed. Both showed in 2 days in one box, sealed with rock auto tape, so no funny stuff done by shipper. 2 Ac Delco boxes packed, but one box was empty. How someone could pick up/ handle a box and not know understand that it's empty is mystery itself. Years ago you could call and get problem figured out. NOT ANYMORE. They almost proudly announce on the phone that they keep prices so low by eliminating customer service via the phone. Try telling a computer that a box was empty, or to send me another immediately, as I paid extra for shipping. The more I tried, the angrier I became. Even Amazon in their quest to overtake the world has human interaction when you need customer service. That old saying Grandpa always said "you get what you pay for" rings so true, especially with Rock Auto. They seemed to unfortunately decided to take the ultimate greedy road as the choice for how they run their business. Buyer Beware! As long as everything goes good, and your shipment is correct, you will be happy. I was. But when it goes bad, (and it seems it goes bad at the worst possible time) it gets real bad when you are led like cattle into a generated flowchart with general and nonsensical questions that they force you to answer. At the end, you actually got the feeling that they really couldn't care less about your problem. They just want to know if you want to return it, or get a refund. It's a very empty, frustrating feeling. But. It is all in the wonderful name of saving us all money!

patrickb147
4/9/18

Have used RockAuto several times and every time I got exactly what I ordered and in a timely manner. They have only the best parts and the best prices you can find. Dont go to a typical parts retailer and pay five times what the item is worth just head on over to RockAuto and save yourself the hassle.

billo48
4/2/18

Bought and paid for OEM, AC Delco parts, inner/outer tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm for my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. Shipping was good, duty wasn't bad and they were even in AC Delco boxes ... problem was, they were NOT AC Delco parts, they were cheap Chinese knock off, the part numbers stamped on the parts did not match the numbers stamped on the same AC Delco parts from the GM dealer.
Moral of the story ... when you order from rock auto try and verify that you are getting what you order before they are shipped ... because customer service after you get you parts in non-existent.

walts7
4/2/18

RockAuto claimed Moog struts to be OEM quality. Struts bottom out at the mere sight of a bump! Big waste of time and money!

lucat14
3/29/18

$#*!ty Service, scam company, they shipped wrong parts, they tried to blame me for it, then they admitted the mistake and gave a free label but when they refunded the amount, they deducted the cost of shipping finding a bunch of excuses, in other words I paid to return wrong parts they shipped.
DO NOT BUY AT ROCKAUTO

davidi51
3/18/18

Camshaft sensor with next day shipping is lower priced than waiting 5 days from Autozone and others. Now that I read these reviews I would never buy from RockAuto! Hate those cheesy commercials and cannot hit FF fast enough. Cheesy parts like Ultra-Power made by 5 year olds in China is a turnoff also.

markg275
3/18/18

If everything goes right - great. Any problem and you are screwed. Communications with them seem impossible but if you get the email address expect smug contradictory stonewalling.

jakem84
3/17/18

Bought a 4.7 for my Dodge. After replacing everything but the intake , intake isn't available anywhere, the engine smoked like crazy on start up. Put in a claim right then. After not even five minutes of run time. Factory called back and told me to run it. Well, 5000 miles later it blew. Now my three thousand dollar engine is worth a five hundred dollar core. And "customer service" refuses to do anything about it. Lesson learned.

waynec78
3/15/18

I spent five days to place an order for car parts. I would say extra money to talk to a order taker. When your system does NOT work!!!!¡!!!!!!!

tommys67
3/11/18

Worst ever online experience-made an initial order of $173, realized I was shorted some parts, no customer service you can call so I had to fill a form out. Get a call from smart elleck rep, after dealing with 2-3 arrogant comments I told him I was going to return, he then proceeded to hang up on me.i immediately returned headlight bulbs and I get only a partial refund. So I try to use their site to get someon to call me to no avail, site will keep saying your transaction is close. If you cant talk to anyone , have anyone call you back or get a response via emai, what are you supposed to do? This is what they want, want customer to give up so that they can profit, if this is how they make money , this sad! We call it a scam where I come from. I have contacted PayPal and have disputed, they still owe me $35 and I will not give up until I get it- stay away, far away from this unscrupulous company!

michaelk289
2/21/18

DOnt bother!!

Consistently Wrong Parts and Old Dusty Stock I have several items un-returnable since the return shipping cost more than the part which were just not the right part.

Great prices but most every item I have received is dusty old stock for what appears to be some closed down independent store. Like random name oil filter with no box. Vintage wiper blades with discolored packaging obviously hanging in some shop for years.

Items ship from different warehouses which end up costing much more like $ 5 shipping for 30 cent light bulbs. Seems like shipping is about the same cost as the parts I order. Also consistently slower than Ebay suppliers.

Miserable return (30 days) limit. I had some incorrect brake shoes sent I was so frustrated after spending a week trying to get them to fit. that I forgot about them now I am past the return limit.

Drop down ordering tedious and hard to navigate.

I have had much better success for EBAY suppliers with free shipping and prompt service and refund/returns.

johna776
1/27/18

Ordered a part that the manufacturer switched mid-year, though how should I know that? When I had the access panel torn apart I realized the rockauto part was incorrect. Contacted customer service, no problem, but I PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING. Really, the site did not clearly say that 2 parts were available. I had not torn apart the car before I ordered to know exactly where and what the part looked like so I had no clue there were two. Shouldn't the experts at rockauto know? They certainly did AFTER I asked to get my return shipping refunded. Come on guys, if you want the shade tree mechanics, give us some help when you know the problem. Don't penalize us on the back end. You lost me for life.

pattym56
1/22/18

We ordered parts on 1/18/18 (Thursday)to be delivered by 1/19/18 (Friday). Paid a premium of $ 350.00 for the express service. Got an email confirming delivery. On 1/19/18 parts were not received and tracking info had been changed to delivery on 1/22/18. After several calls to FedEx on Saturday morning found an individual that located the parts two hours away in a shipping depot. They were scheduled to be delivered on 1/22/18. We sent someone on a two hour trip to pick them up from shipping depot. Only 2 of 4 parts were there. Filed complaint with RockAuto they said they would not refund shipping charges, in fact they were going to charge us for 2-day shipping and refund us only $ 92.00 of our original $ 350.00 overnight shipping charges because they say the parts were "Delivered". They were not delivered we had to pay an employee overtime rates to drive two hours to facility to pick them up. Even then only 2 of the 4 parts were there.

jaredg11
1/19/18

Didnt send me a confirmation email so when my ultra power accessory belt tensioner with less than 100 Miles started making noise in the cold weather, I couldnt use an order number to claim warranty. No Facebook reviews for a reason; sketchy. As soon as I told them I couldnt get my order number but had PayPal proof, they said we can no longer help you via Facebook. Completely stonewalling me saying I had to get help via the site. How do you get help via the site with no order number? Conspiring. Look around, there are lots of sketchy reviews about them everywhere. Even sent my brother to them for Supra brake calipers. Seems they purposely chose a manufacturer with no available contact information too. Never again.

stevec263
1/18/18

The good. Have used rockauto several times. I have always received the parts on time or earlier and they were as expected,dirt cheap compared to locals and were the right part. Their site is easy to use and parts are very well described and many options are available.
The bad. This last shipment was a horror. Not all rockauto's fault. I order a water pump, a fan clutch, a ckt position sensor (verry cheap), and radiator hoses U/L. The fan clutch was in right box but part was wrong (stamp on part different) not RA's fault. The CKT was right and very well priced. The waterr pump heater tube was against the alternator hard and was not acceptable as it would work loose and leak. The lower heater hose had a bend that was too shallow and rested against the a/c condenser which would rub a hole in it. To their credit this hose was the same at all three major auto part stores with the exception of NAPA who had the right hose at twice the price. And RA gave me credit without returning the hose. Great. The water pump and clutch were returned with them giving me a "paid" shipping label which I consider a big plus to their credit. I will have to wait and see if I get credit for the returned parts but I am optimistic so far that it will happen.
The Ugly. Well, I paid extraditing shipping to get my ride back on the road and of course this shot that to hell I had to buy local parts to get it going which of course cost more though not that much more if you consider all of these problems. I would still definitely use RockAuto because despite these issues they made good up til now. The biggest black eye is they have absolutely no number to call or live chat to communicate with to get the ball rolling which is why I went local for the parts. Their only number is a corporate number which is a joke.

shanes74
1/17/18

The worst online company I have ever had to deal with. The website gave inaccurate fitment. Sent all the items back and still have not received my refund.

kennetht40
1/4/18

As you search for your needed parts and you're in the moment of discounts. Stop!!! Buyer be-where as you navigate to the shipping section. Priority mail what a joke. Pony Express is more the word. Now add your shipping to the cost and the time delays....... Research your local auto parts store and evaluate. Not worth the hassle. Never! Never!

deannah29
1/3/18

Very disappointed as we use ROCKAUTO.COM a lot, but will no longer be doing so. This most recent purchase my husband bought a replacement CV for my 2010 Lincoln MKS. Unfortunately he is a very busy guy and it took him a month or two to actually do the replacement on my car and when he did, we were confronted with an unpleasant surprise! Although the box was correct they shipped the part in, the part itself was actually the CV meant for a CHEVY IMPALA. WRONG PART # in the RIGHT BOX. Of course the 30 day return policy is now up...and there is NO ONE in customer service to speak with. I don't even expect to get my money back, maybe just a discount on another purchase would make me happy. But no, there's no one to take care of the customers! Don't buy from here, they are shady!

johnc892
12/21/17

BE WARNED. NEVER BUY FROM ROCKAUTO!!!!!
I ordered a clutch for my Subaru Legacy. The clutch that they say fits on the website is completely wrong. It is actually a clutch for a Impreza STi. The Subaru mechanic took one look at it in the box and knew it wouldnt fit, that is how far wrong it is to the correct part. RockAuto has NOBODY available in a customer service department. NOBODY. You can not even speak to any human at all. They also have the audacity to make a customer pay to return an item that they shipped wrong!
So, they list parts incorrectly, do not have a person available to speak to, then will not make good on it, and force the customer to pay out of pocket to return in order to get a refund. I could understand if I purchased the wrong part. But they flat out list the wrong parts on there site!
NEVER BUY FROM ROCKAUTO!!!!!!

jonathanv21
12/9/17

I purchased a rack and pinion it went bad within my warrenty time. they filed my order as a return for some reason ( canceled because they wanted my core first,then re ordered with me paying core charge so I can get it faster as they had one in stock) however I have a a order shipped confirmation email from them but they claim they never sent me a rack and that I canceled the order (no email was sent about re ordering and paying double the price) so now they will not warranty this item.
There is no customer service called the main office and told them The website was not allowing me to do a return and he said u have to do it online theres nothing else I can do for you have a nice day and hung up on me. So I emailed them from my order confirmation email and he proceeded to tell me I didnt buy anything from him and if I can give him a order number (different than the one I was givin) that stated My purchase then he would warrenty it, not sure if it was an error or if they intentionally filled it like this so I couldnt warranty it. Either way they were very rude and sold me a faulty part and would not hold up to there warranty.

carlf44
11/27/17

Their recording states they no longer offer customer service over the phone. In other words, you bought it, you own it. I got a defective y-pipe catalytic from them and they want me to buy another one to see if its' any better. I just want them to take it back and then decide themselves if it is bad and at the least give store credit.

bronsonb1
11/20/17

Ordered brake rotors which didnt end up fitting. They looked a little off prior to install but thought there was only one way to find out and installed one anyway. Of corse it didnt fit and when I went on the website to return, it wouldnt let me because they clame they are the correct ones. Couldnt get ahold of a real person so called the corporate office and they hung up on me. Ive never dealt w such a worthless company before. My credit card company is disputing the charge so we will see what happens. Im not making another 300.00 mistake w RockAuto. Should have stayed w parts geek.

danb223
11/17/17

The prices are great! When it all works things are great! When it doesn't is the problem. That's when you find out they just don't care. Literally they just don't care. You are a dollar sign. If you threaten the intake of that you will be the enemy!!! Shop Amazon. At least you have some recourse!

mikeb442
11/17/17

charged 80 dollars for product i did not get ,you cant speak to anyone about it no customer service and no way to get the money back,so much for getting a bargain what i did get ended up costing me dearly

christiaanb13
11/16/17

I ordered a part. It didn't work. They said it can't be returned because "it wasn't intended" for my car. Yet, two lines above the message, it says it is intended for my car.

Whare is my package. An $85 inside door panal. Part # 4029357733 .ca ordered 12/22/16 rock auto had no problem taking my money but apparently don't know how to make a shipment. Pissed

By Shawn c.

Questions? Get answers from the RockAuto staff and other customers.

4 Photos for RockAuto