Review of RockAuto

Tel: 608-661-1376
service@rockauto.com

myraf11
5/20/18

Bought flywheel installed it had to to see if it would work. Wrong one which was my fault. But they will not give refund. Bought another item from them and it was not in box when received called the number and person on phone was rude telling us you had to do it over internet. Will never buy from them again.Should have read reviews.

julesj9
5/11/18

Bought fuel tank straps for my car from them before checking their rating. Parts arrived and I took them to my mechanic to install. The mechanic found these were the wrong straps for my vehicle. He reshaped one of them to make it fit , taking extra time for which I am billed. The second one he did not bother with. Rock Auto's attitude was "sorry but we can give you no refund unless the complete package is shipped back to us" and they expect me to ship it at my cost of $35 !!!! Atrocious service! I will dispute the transaction with my credit card company and try to get 100% of what I paid Rock Auto back!

willp33
5/4/18

They sent me a defective instrument cluster. They wanted me to buy a 2nd one and them refund my money after return . They advertise all over TV shows. They should spend some money on customer service and retention. I will never buy anything from them and I suggest you don't either . A big red flag is no customer service representatives.This is probably run out of someones garage.

dannyh58
5/2/18

I ordered a 4 wheel brake kit from rock auto. After waiting 5 days for my order to arrive. I opened the box to find they only shipped 2 rotors to me. After 1 hr online trying to find a phone number, email address or someone to answer so questions. I was able to go thru a long process of answering some generic questions and after submitting the answers i was able to send an email. A person named jeff asked me to email pictures of box i had recd. A few hrs later he told me they made a mistake and that they are sending the rest of my order to me via regular mail. Another 5 days. I sent an email to jeff stating that they should at least overnight to me due to them making the mistake. I have not heard back from anyone it's been 2 days. They have no customer service to call if you have a problem. Good luck!!!!!

jackl184
4/25/18

I had been a happy rock auto customer in Canada for over 5 years. I only ever had one small issue last year, and I was able to get it resolved after talking with a customer service rep located at their head office in Madison, WI. Ive easily spent over $10,000 us with them since ive been a customer with them. As they have almost all the parts for my collector cars, and harder to find European parts.

This last order though was completely unacceptable. Simply put, I had ordered a fan clutch for my Mercedes, having experienced poor quality fan clutches from china in the past, for this car it had to be an original Sachs made in Germany (the original OEM supplier). I did a quickly lookup on their site, and they had about 5 options to choose from, ranging in price. I could clearly see from the photo which ones were "china brand" from the desgn, the 4 Seasons brand, was higher prices (in the range of the Sachs pricing), and the photo clearly showed a Sachs branded clutch with the words printed "Made in Germany" simply I could see that 4 seasons put a Sachs brand part in their box, and off it went. Not uncommon for "house brands" to do with parts. Also reason I ordered it from RA, and not elsewhere online is their shipping to Canada is pretty reliable, and I needed it asap.

Today box shows up, and on the packing slip, it clearly states "Country of origin - Germany", so I was glad. I open up the part box, and low and behold a cheap china knock off that clearly says "Made in China". I was disappointed, but needed it asap, so I paid more for express shipping and begun the order process to order a Sachs from another local supplier.

I call up their head office, and instantly get told that there is no one I can talk to and they "Discontinued" the customer service reps last fall. I was a bit disappointed, but regardless, I thought I would start the return process. Obviously with the notion that they sold me a "Not as described" part, and they should refund me the ship price to me, the part price, and the ship back amount for the return.

I quickly got a response back from customer service, and instantly they said, not their fault, not our problem, if you want to return it you will need to pay for the return shipping. After a lot of back and forth, I was getting nowhere. And I was completely dumbfounded, that they were treating this simple issue that was their fault, and blaming it on me.

I had to file a claim thru paypal, and will wait to see what happens.

Tip for consumers: Avoid Rockauto, obviously something has changed in the past 6 months, and they could care less about customer service. All they care about is pinching every penny out of the bottom line, without caring for their recent customers, and long term customers

gregb157
4/23/18

Never again. Sent me wrong parts and said my e -mail and part number does not match
Can't get Any farther.

rv42
4/13/18

Ordered a part for my 2013 Nissan. Live in Canada and get stuff delivered all the time no problem. They shipped it via Canpar who refused to deliver outside of large cities which excludes almost half of Canada. I waited for there weeks for the part, the driver for Canpar would call me and say he was within 15 minute drive of my house but refused to deliver and told me that I had to drive 150km to go pick it up.

ss331
4/11/18

I was. was a Rock Auto customer for years, made many purchases over last 10 years. This last experience was the one to award Rock Auto with losing yet another customer. Ordered 2 smaller emissions parts. Both fit in approximately 5"x5" box. Paid extra for faster shipping as I needed. Both showed in 2 days in one box, sealed with rock auto tape, so no funny stuff done by shipper. 2 Ac Delco boxes packed, but one box was empty. How someone could pick up/ handle a box and not know understand that it's empty is mystery itself. Years ago you could call and get problem figured out. NOT ANYMORE. They almost proudly announce on the phone that they keep prices so low by eliminating customer service via the phone. Try telling a computer that a box was empty, or to send me another immediately, as I paid extra for shipping. The more I tried, the angrier I became. Even Amazon in their quest to overtake the world has human interaction when you need customer service. That old saying Grandpa always said "you get what you pay for" rings so true, especially with Rock Auto. They seemed to unfortunately decided to take the ultimate greedy road as the choice for how they run their business. Buyer Beware! As long as everything goes good, and your shipment is correct, you will be happy. I was. But when it goes bad, (and it seems it goes bad at the worst possible time) it gets real bad when you are led like cattle into a generated flowchart with general and nonsensical questions that they force you to answer. At the end, you actually got the feeling that they really couldn't care less about your problem. They just want to know if you want to return it, or get a refund. It's a very empty, frustrating feeling. But. It is all in the wonderful name of saving us all money!

patrickb147
4/9/18

Have used RockAuto several times and every time I got exactly what I ordered and in a timely manner. They have only the best parts and the best prices you can find. Dont go to a typical parts retailer and pay five times what the item is worth just head on over to RockAuto and save yourself the hassle.

billo48
4/2/18

Bought and paid for OEM, AC Delco parts, inner/outer tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm for my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. Shipping was good, duty wasn't bad and they were even in AC Delco boxes ... problem was, they were NOT AC Delco parts, they were cheap Chinese knock off, the part numbers stamped on the parts did not match the numbers stamped on the same AC Delco parts from the GM dealer.
Moral of the story ... when you order from rock auto try and verify that you are getting what you order before they are shipped ... because customer service after you get you parts in non-existent.

walts7
4/2/18

RockAuto claimed Moog struts to be OEM quality. Struts bottom out at the mere sight of a bump! Big waste of time and money!

lucat14
3/29/18

$#*!ty Service, scam company, they shipped wrong parts, they tried to blame me for it, then they admitted the mistake and gave a free label but when they refunded the amount, they deducted the cost of shipping finding a bunch of excuses, in other words I paid to return wrong parts they shipped.
DO NOT BUY AT ROCKAUTO

davidi51
3/18/18

Camshaft sensor with next day shipping is lower priced than waiting 5 days from Autozone and others. Now that I read these reviews I would never buy from RockAuto! Hate those cheesy commercials and cannot hit FF fast enough. Cheesy parts like Ultra-Power made by 5 year olds in China is a turnoff also.

markg275
3/18/18

If everything goes right - great. Any problem and you are screwed. Communications with them seem impossible but if you get the email address expect smug contradictory stonewalling.

jakem84
3/17/18

Bought a 4.7 for my Dodge. After replacing everything but the intake , intake isn't available anywhere, the engine smoked like crazy on start up. Put in a claim right then. After not even five minutes of run time. Factory called back and told me to run it. Well, 5000 miles later it blew. Now my three thousand dollar engine is worth a five hundred dollar core. And "customer service" refuses to do anything about it. Lesson learned.

waynec78
3/15/18

I spent five days to place an order for car parts. I would say extra money to talk to a order taker. When your system does NOT work!!!!¡!!!!!!!

tommys67
3/11/18

Worst ever online experience-made an initial order of $173, realized I was shorted some parts, no customer service you can call so I had to fill a form out. Get a call from smart elleck rep, after dealing with 2-3 arrogant comments I told him I was going to return, he then proceeded to hang up on me.i immediately returned headlight bulbs and I get only a partial refund. So I try to use their site to get someon to call me to no avail, site will keep saying your transaction is close. If you cant talk to anyone , have anyone call you back or get a response via emai, what are you supposed to do? This is what they want, want customer to give up so that they can profit, if this is how they make money , this sad! We call it a scam where I come from. I have contacted PayPal and have disputed, they still owe me $35 and I will not give up until I get it- stay away, far away from this unscrupulous company!

michaelk289
2/21/18

DOnt bother!!

Consistently Wrong Parts and Old Dusty Stock I have several items un-returnable since the return shipping cost more than the part which were just not the right part.

Great prices but most every item I have received is dusty old stock for what appears to be some closed down independent store. Like random name oil filter with no box. Vintage wiper blades with discolored packaging obviously hanging in some shop for years.

Items ship from different warehouses which end up costing much more like $ 5 shipping for 30 cent light bulbs. Seems like shipping is about the same cost as the parts I order. Also consistently slower than Ebay suppliers.

Miserable return (30 days) limit. I had some incorrect brake shoes sent I was so frustrated after spending a week trying to get them to fit. that I forgot about them now I am past the return limit.

Drop down ordering tedious and hard to navigate.

I have had much better success for EBAY suppliers with free shipping and prompt service and refund/returns.

johna776
1/27/18

Ordered a part that the manufacturer switched mid-year, though how should I know that? When I had the access panel torn apart I realized the rockauto part was incorrect. Contacted customer service, no problem, but I PAY FOR RETURN SHIPPING. Really, the site did not clearly say that 2 parts were available. I had not torn apart the car before I ordered to know exactly where and what the part looked like so I had no clue there were two. Shouldn't the experts at rockauto know? They certainly did AFTER I asked to get my return shipping refunded. Come on guys, if you want the shade tree mechanics, give us some help when you know the problem. Don't penalize us on the back end. You lost me for life.

pattym56
1/22/18

We ordered parts on 1/18/18 (Thursday)to be delivered by 1/19/18 (Friday). Paid a premium of $ 350.00 for the express service. Got an email confirming delivery. On 1/19/18 parts were not received and tracking info had been changed to delivery on 1/22/18. After several calls to FedEx on Saturday morning found an individual that located the parts two hours away in a shipping depot. They were scheduled to be delivered on 1/22/18. We sent someone on a two hour trip to pick them up from shipping depot. Only 2 of 4 parts were there. Filed complaint with RockAuto they said they would not refund shipping charges, in fact they were going to charge us for 2-day shipping and refund us only $ 92.00 of our original $ 350.00 overnight shipping charges because they say the parts were "Delivered". They were not delivered we had to pay an employee overtime rates to drive two hours to facility to pick them up. Even then only 2 of the 4 parts were there.

jaredg11
1/19/18

Didnt send me a confirmation email so when my ultra power accessory belt tensioner with less than 100 Miles started making noise in the cold weather, I couldnt use an order number to claim warranty. No Facebook reviews for a reason; sketchy. As soon as I told them I couldnt get my order number but had PayPal proof, they said we can no longer help you via Facebook. Completely stonewalling me saying I had to get help via the site. How do you get help via the site with no order number? Conspiring. Look around, there are lots of sketchy reviews about them everywhere. Even sent my brother to them for Supra brake calipers. Seems they purposely chose a manufacturer with no available contact information too. Never again.

stevec263
1/18/18

The good. Have used rockauto several times. I have always received the parts on time or earlier and they were as expected,dirt cheap compared to locals and were the right part. Their site is easy to use and parts are very well described and many options are available.
The bad. This last shipment was a horror. Not all rockauto's fault. I order a water pump, a fan clutch, a ckt position sensor (verry cheap), and radiator hoses U/L. The fan clutch was in right box but part was wrong (stamp on part different) not RA's fault. The CKT was right and very well priced. The waterr pump heater tube was against the alternator hard and was not acceptable as it would work loose and leak. The lower heater hose had a bend that was too shallow and rested against the a/c condenser which would rub a hole in it. To their credit this hose was the same at all three major auto part stores with the exception of NAPA who had the right hose at twice the price. And RA gave me credit without returning the hose. Great. The water pump and clutch were returned with them giving me a "paid" shipping label which I consider a big plus to their credit. I will have to wait and see if I get credit for the returned parts but I am optimistic so far that it will happen.
The Ugly. Well, I paid extraditing shipping to get my ride back on the road and of course this shot that to hell I had to buy local parts to get it going which of course cost more though not that much more if you consider all of these problems. I would still definitely use RockAuto because despite these issues they made good up til now. The biggest black eye is they have absolutely no number to call or live chat to communicate with to get the ball rolling which is why I went local for the parts. Their only number is a corporate number which is a joke.

shanes74
1/17/18

The worst online company I have ever had to deal with. The website gave inaccurate fitment. Sent all the items back and still have not received my refund.

kennetht40
1/4/18

As you search for your needed parts and you're in the moment of discounts. Stop!!! Buyer be-where as you navigate to the shipping section. Priority mail what a joke. Pony Express is more the word. Now add your shipping to the cost and the time delays....... Research your local auto parts store and evaluate. Not worth the hassle. Never! Never!

deannah29
1/3/18

Very disappointed as we use ROCKAUTO.COM a lot, but will no longer be doing so. This most recent purchase my husband bought a replacement CV for my 2010 Lincoln MKS. Unfortunately he is a very busy guy and it took him a month or two to actually do the replacement on my car and when he did, we were confronted with an unpleasant surprise! Although the box was correct they shipped the part in, the part itself was actually the CV meant for a CHEVY IMPALA. WRONG PART # in the RIGHT BOX. Of course the 30 day return policy is now up...and there is NO ONE in customer service to speak with. I don't even expect to get my money back, maybe just a discount on another purchase would make me happy. But no, there's no one to take care of the customers! Don't buy from here, they are shady!

Whare is my package. An $85 inside door panal. Part # 4029357733 .ca ordered 12/22/16 rock auto had no problem taking my money but apparently don't know how to make a shipment. Pissed

By Shawn c.

Questions? Get answers from the RockAuto staff and other customers.

5 Photos for RockAuto