RateMyProfessors reviews

Tel: +1-212-654-7763

carlose27
1/3/19

Students can now grade the teachers. Did your professor make the cut? Don't get stuck with a bad apple anymore. Having a bad teacher should be a thing of the past. This site is very helpful to find out if it is worth the money and time to take a class with a specific instructor. Professors are graded on a number of criteria, primarily overall quality of teaching and level of difficulty. In addition you can select three tags as individual options as to whether she/he is heavy on textbooks, requires class participation or is maybe laid back and cool. One major option that was eliminated was the controversial hotness rating. In the past you were able to grade the instructor on attractive appearance. Sad to see it gone but maybe it's for the best.

alibin
10/9/18

The site has built-in biases:

1. Bad ratings must be substantiated with examples or they get thrown out, whereas good ones never need supporting evidence. Double standards?

I know of teachers that regularly work on getting their bad reviews removed, AND some that write fake student reviews for themselves.

2. Comments about preferential treatment get thrown out. I feel that as long as I tell the truth, it should not be censored.

3. Very limited word count (max 350 characters). You can't even finish a proper story.

Other than these, I found the general depictions of professors quite spot on.

briannal21
5/22/18

This site has successfully helped me pick good professors throughout my 3 years at Chico State. The site is biased in the sense that reviewers usually either love or hate a teacher with little in between. I have found that the more good reviews there are, the better the teacher is. The site is also helpful in understanding the structure of classes since many reviewers include that. I believe this site could be improved with the increase of reviews and this would lessen the slight bias. Either way, it is the only place to go if you don't know what professor to choose when enrolling in classes. I will continue to use it for my next two semesters and I am grateful I have had access to it in the past.

nickv33
3/7/18

A lot of biased reviews and difficult to make a decision what's correct and what's not. Yet - there is nothing better available out there!

andrewk80
5/18/16

This site is terrible. In a time where universitiites are using online reviews in their hiring and promoting process, websites like this are damaging. They do no follow-up or verification to ensure someone is not simply creating multiple accounts and leaving bad reviews. They allow people to leave reviews on a professor for courses that do not exist. This company purports to "help" students but all they are interested in is advertising dollars. But hey what can you expect from a site that lets you rate your professor's "hotness". This site is a joke.

allany1
4/20/16

I've heard their team posts positive comments on professors to show more activity on their website. Most of my classmates don't even check RMP since the comments are either from those who failed or those who got A. They are not informative for average students.

veronicas39
1/3/16

More often than not, a lot of the "hard" and "impossible" professors actually just had standards. You shouldn't be looking for just easy A's in college (or at least for major courses). I've found some comments true, but it's mostly either glowing praise or complete whining. Might be worth a glance, but if you get a professor with a 2.0 rating, they may not be as terrible as described.

jf33
3/29/14

There are excellent things about this site. Allowing a person to see previous students' reviews of a professor (and sometimes class) can be genuinely helpful as you pick between different professors.

However, there are a few issues. (1) The samples are inevitably skewed. Only a few students ever post reviews...and professors have hundreds, even thousands of students, depending on how long they've been teaching. That's just something to keep in mind as you're considering reviews. Really negative reviews might be from particularly pissed off students, so if there's only a few of them, it might not mean anything. (2) The site acts like being easy is a good thing. I don't know about anyone else, but easy classes are a waste of my time and money. So, if you rank a professor as being hard, it drags down their overall rating...which is just not cool. (3) You can give professors "chilly peppers" if you think they're hot. Seriously? (4) Not all professors have reviews.

Overall, though, this site is a great resource. I've used it a lot over the years. Just be sure to take the info you find with a grain of salt...and ignore low scores before you check why they're low. No good professor is going to have a perfect ranking.

cullenr
9/21/13

This has just got to be the default site for checking out which professors to take. honestly i just dont think its smart to take a class where the professor is known to be either an unfair grader or hard to understand! I use this site to check out as many profs as I can, and even if they arent on there i like to add them just in case.

johnb216
8/31/13

A superficial rating site that doesn't genuinely take in account the quality of the class or teacher. Example if a teacher sexual harass a student or eats in class, the site will still give high rating as long as they have the minimum of Easiness/Helpfulness/Clarity/Rater Interest. Apparently integrity is not factor at the site.

It is also easy for teacher not to take accountability. I notice teachers with consistent bad reviews over months or years seem to have them magically filter out or disappeared. This defeats the purpose of the site, or honest recommendations. This is disservice to student or really hard working teachers who earned their score.

stellad
7/13/10

Best place to find out about which professors to take in your courses. Dont register without checking here first!

jacquelineh
7/12/10

whenever i need to register for classes this site is up alongside my registration window. i'm a true believer that your professor can make or break a class and with this site it definitely helps you in choosing a great teacher for the whole semester. there are reviews from other students as well as random ratings to see if you're future professor is hot, hard grading, etc.

jonathanp1
7/12/10

This is a great website. When I was in law school, I would religiously review professor reviews to know what I was going to encounter each semester. In fact, I learned some very important tips about certain professors that I found very helpful at exam time. Two thumbs up!

monicao1
7/12/10

I am constantly on this site when class enrollment season rolls around. I go to a small college where often times many sections of the same class are offered. A lot of times college students can feel a bit lost when trying to put together the best schedule they can.

Ratemyprofessor.com helps me chose the teacher that best fits my needs. It is better than asking my fellow students about certain professors because often they do not know about specific professors, value different qualities in a professor, or may be trying to get in to the same class that I am (and therefore give false information to dissuade me from enrolling in to that class).

I ALWAYS search a prospective professor on this site before enrolling in to his/her class.. that way, I can either avoid a bad teacher or if I have no other choice but to enroll in a tough class, I can at least prepare myself for a huge workload (and perhaps take easier classes to distress my school schedule).

1 rating was submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Questions? Get answers from the RateMyProfessors staff and other customers.

RateMyProfessors?