Review of Quora

privacy@quora.com

10 reviews with 3 stars

texasu
4/11/19

First, you need to understand how Quora operates. Does Quora need answers that are correct? It's counterintuitive, but no, not necessarily. All it needs are PAGE HITS so it can SERVE ADS and MAKE MONEY from those ads. How does it get page hits? It needs search engines to list Quora "answers" as the answers to people's search queries. How does it do that? It creates a platform where people can "level up" and create authoritizative-looking profiles by writing well-crafted, grammatically correct answers, and then their cronies and like-minded members vote their answers up. Sometimes it's a popularity contest. Other times you'll find dubious propaganda that sadly is no different than the scandals involving facebook and election interference. Ultimately, there is the appearance of a "professional answer" by "experts". The end result is search engines link to Quora's content, creating the illusion that it's actually providing a true answer to your question. In that past this was done by actually paying people to write junk content online. Quora figured out a way to get people to do it for free. In reality, at best, most of the content is psuedo-answers. There is no peer review of these psuedo-answers. This is because Quora allows users to block some or even all replies to their answers. Kind of curious for a Q&A site, don't you think? Sadly it's not an accident - it's that way on purpose. Quora has designed a system that creates the APPEARANCE of professional, authoritative answers. A peer review of those psuedo-answers is not a priority and most likely not wanted. More specifically, information accuracy is completely irrelevant to Quora. Even more insidious is the fact that, if you observe carefully, innocuous content will sometimes get removed by moderators. And, about half the time, the dubious removals seem likely to be at the behest of a Quora-preferred (i.e. leveled-up) content creator who happens to be "very active" on that particular page. It's impossible to say exactly when, but this is probably be the next tech scandal/exposé waiting to happen. To summarize, it's all a WELL-MONETIZED MIRAGE.

robertr708
1/9/19

The ridiculous censorship and removal of any comment that does not pass the liberal smell test is excessive to the point of making the site pointless. Certainly crazy or abusive comments need to be removed but issues such as whether racial equality is real or a myth or other controversial subjects like alleged police brutality or whether some women lie about rape cannot be discussed.

leroyj18
11/4/18

I discovered Quora a couple of years back and it seemed quite novel at the time, filled with interesting tech related answers from various experts in their fields. Later some well known celebrities joined in and it was still fascinating to see what people from NASA had to say or some political people. But now its filled with various self-help and motivational speeches with thousands of likes from seemingly random people which aren't exactly helpful to my interests.

miram13
9/23/18

When I only started using Quora, it seemed compelling and versatile until I asked an ironical question about banning badly written books... While I partly meant it because I think that graphomaniacs, who poorly imitate decent ideas of great authors, shouldn't be published, I also didn't expect that people will attack me, some with threats. I could have apologized but I wasn't a monster, I just asked and shared my opinion, you have a right to disagree but not to react violently. After this situation, I became more attentive to what others ask and answer. So many questions are just silly and annoying, but of course, there are questions that encourage you to think and even get some kind of enlightenment to answer eloquently and profoundly. I also like many answers, but a certain category of people there are just obsessed with graphomania (yea, again) and I suspect that lots of authors of badly written books originate from Quora. Despite the negative attributes, I still find it useful, interesting, and creative. You can definitely find like-minded fellows there, add them to friends, and enjoy eloquent private messaging or simply joyfully immerse in their tasteful answers. I like when people reply humorously and with imagination. You shouldn't get too serious in this biased realm but if you describe even the most old-fashioned and awkward prejudice of yours in a unique way, it will be enticing to read it. Quora collected people with different intellectual abilities, some answers are surprisingly smart and sophisticated, especially if you deal with science or arts. We'll see what happens next. Hopefully, more witty minds will appear there. ;)

jonr123
8/14/18

If you publish something on Quora don't expect to get credit for it. If someone wants to make a copy of your work, they can but they cannot copy your name or any other info about you.

erikk14
7/5/18

The moderation system is flawed. Many people's answers get "collapsed" (semi-hidden) for allegedly violating rules such as Be Nice Be Respectful, when such rules clearly weren't intended to prevent their kind of answers. To see many specific examples, simply search on Quora itself for something like "Quora moderation".

I'm not sure whether Quora is too willing to collapse answers that other users complain about, or whether human moderators are biased and prefer to reject answers they disagree with, or both.

For questions that nobody will get upset about, Quora's users sometimes produce very good answers. To some extent, the Quora system probably helps to encourage that quality.

ahmadt10
7/4/18

You can find some useful answers that may really help you. On the other hand there are many affiliater advertiser people around on Quora and they are promoting their paid service on the community. Because it is about earning a thousand dollars getting traffic! Quora, please be more transparent!

dank151
2/26/18

I had been on Quora since Trump won election. Lots of views and upvotes. My questions or answers never been "collapsed" before ever. Exception - spelling mistakes which I gladly correct (English is my 4th language I have learned).
Last week , while answering somebodies question "why so many hateful comments from Russians", I replied comparing Kremlin trolls to lice in human hair and how to get rid of it. Secondly, I warned Quora if they don't clean up the site, they may end up before senate committee like Facebook and Tweeter.
Those two factors were possible reason for collapsing my answer and warning me of suspending. I was fuming. After couple days I just cancel account all together.
There is chinese proverb: "Man stops being smart minute replies to stupid question"
My conclusion is either moderators are very low IQ (if any) or it really infested with Kremlin stooges.

diegod23
6/7/17

Quora is actually a fun website, but their $#*!ing moderation is ruining my experience! I am moderately popular on Quora with over 600k answer views and around 230 followers. I get several answer requests. I like to read the feed.

But the $#*!ing Quora Moderation is ruining my experience! They are a bunch of $#*!ing communist $#*!s who suppress freedom of speech! They are biased towards liberals, and if you have a conservative viewpoint, your answer or comment can get collapsed. I post several comments and a number of answers criticizing Islam, mostly in response to the goddamn leftists who say the classic "it's a religion of peace" bull$#*!. I back up my arguments with proof and data, and I don't insult Muslims or anything. But despite this, Quora Moderation deletes my comments and collapses my answers about the subject! My only crime is that I criticize Islam! You can criticize ANY other religion and Quora Moderation doesn't give a $#*!. But criticize Islam and you risk Quora Moderation collapsing your comment/answer no matter how nice you try to be or how you back up our arguments. And when they collapse your content, Quora Moderation doesn't tell you exactly what you did wrong. They only say that you violated their goddamn holy BNBR policy. Seriously, I CANT $#*!ING STAND QUORA MODERATION ANYMORE! THEY HAVE EDIT BLOCKED ME TWICE NOW! Seriously, I live in constant fear of those $#*!S collapsing my content. I swear to God, one day those ball-less sons of $#*!es will $#*!ing ban me.

$#*! QUORA MODERATION! $#*!S! SONS OF $#*!ES! COMMUNISTS! SUPRESSORS OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH! I HOPE ONE DAY YOU $#*!ING $#*!S GET A TASTE OF YOUR OWN $#*!ING MEDICINE! $#*! YOU ALL!

If Quora were a country, it would be a liberal communist one where any conservative would get punished for his views! Without Quora Moderation, Quora would be a much better place!!!!

I repeat for the 100th time, $#*! QUORA MODERATION!!!

guyw21
4/15/16

Quora's a great site for those who lurk around, soaking knowledge from different topics from users all across the world.

However, its strict moderation, rigid rules and guidelines, and awful interface that causes lag is a turn off. And, there's a 1-in-a-million chance you'll get your answer answered, since it has to be well written, and follow the guidelines, otherwise, it'll be hidden from the rest of Quora until "proper" editing is made.

I like reading what writers write to difficult questions, and they're not as rude and immature as Y!As users, but there's something missing to Quora. It doesn't feel like you're actually connected to anyone (neither did Y!A have a connection, but...) Instead, everyone on Quora is like a robot, answering questions in lengthy detail.

Lastly, make sure you use your real name, or at least a full name that makes sense. I got temporarily banned because I used a nickname.

Yes, the questions about penis size and virginity seems to sponsor endless discussion!

By Michael G.

Because Quora is run by an amateur who may aspire to be Zuckeberg, yet is nowhere near as savvy.

By Sarah H.

I honestly feel and highly suspect from certain traits that Quora pays Google to be high on the rank and they get *buddy buddy* with the government. Quora is essentially too big to fail. We no longer have capitalism but now live under governmentism which Trump pledges to end but can he? Does he really mean what he says? That is the million $ question.

By Kyle H.

Agreed. Strange but true. The only place that requires full name when you already have an account where the username to use. Why? Just more of the old information collecting processes. Blatant disregard.

By Leo A.

No financial gain for Quora users as referenced to the Partners Program. Quora will drop you quickly if you challenge them on any moderation they made to your questions or answers. Too many rules too few incentives to write.

By Sam F.

No, it is obviously leftist but it does on occasion allow questions or replies for short periods of time that are obviously uncomfortable to the "politicaly correct" crowd in a useless attempt to appear unbiased.

By David N.

Resilience is when you can read Quora answers for about half an hour without puking. Joke's on you mate.

By Isaac K.

Because Google put Quora answers at the top of their search results when people search for a question they see the answer from Quora. Which is stupid because most answers on Quora aren't even correct lol. Idk why Google wants to promote that site, if they own it or they want to buy it and incorporate it into Google at some point. I think the site is awful and it should be shut down because it's just a propaganda site. You do not see Quora from any other search engine for example duckduckgo. But you see it in Google.

By Aare t.

as well as to discuss their sexual proclivities in anonymity.

By Michael G.

Questions? Get answers from the Quora staff and other customers.

8 Photos for Quora