Review of oDesk

Redwood City, California 94063
Tel: 855.946.3375

emmab170
1/17/19

Odesk is a great website fro freelancers and people in need of work. Here you can showcase your skill and talents and earn money along they way. You can also build up your reputation and obtain more lucrative offers. Just be careful and check employers' status before applying for an interview.

georgiosm4
8/1/18

Buyers have not any protection of refund if they don't like/can't use the work delivered. The freelancer has been paid and prepaid for the work no matter what they deliver. I am the perfect example, I paid A half salary in USD, I can't use anything.

jackj81
7/12/16

Situation in 2016.
They blocked my client and blocked me. I did a lot of work, but they decided to suspend client (ugh...). Then they unblocked me. But me and this client we decided to move to another platform.
Then I did some jobs for other clients on UpWork. At some point with next client I faced situation of weird refund operations performed by UpWork support team. This is when contract was in Suspended status. So UpWork support first suspended my contract with this client, then perfromed some refund operations with my account, returning money to this client. And then I had lesser money, than I had when started this currently suspended contract (this is all when job was completed and client looked satisfied according to communicatons we had).
I do not uderstand what is rotten more - their support, their routines or their software (platfrom itself)....

Update from 2017.
They improved a lot, support is much better, more interesting projects available... I think they significantly improved a lot of things in this platform.

dhamut
7/5/16

Hello, I am a freelance recruiter and want to check with you about the services offered by oDesk ? Can you please let me know how i will be benefited out of its service ?

preetip2
6/22/16

Upwork really sucks. It only promises to solve our problems but it never does. Im highly disappointed with the service of Upwork. There are not one or two problems that we can count on. I dont know why the hell they created Upwork. Its just a website full of useless things. Upwork charges 20% and the employers here look for $1/hr freelancers so working on upwork is like counting pennies. Even the tech staff is not skilled enough and they cannot resolve issues related to tracker.

felixv4
11/18/15

We are so puzzled because Grabcar whch is under GrabTai inc., located at Makati, Philippine is recruiting people to operate a taxi by using their own car in exchange of an incentive and while in the process of recruitment they give as high as 40 thousand pesos to 50 thousand per week but when they were able to recruit almost a large scale they immediately remove the incentives and let this people work while driving and upgrading thier apps online so they can advertise around the world and do the same without thinking that the people they recruited invested brand new cars and is still paying the monthly amortization. In other words, they used people's resources to set up their business around the globe and they will earn much and their strategy at first is to to entice people by giving big amount of incentives weekly but after getting them into the job, they remove the incentive right away and we picture this as indirect Large scale Estafa and a scam in nature. please beware public. Their website is grabcar.com

leab6
11/4/15

This is an excerpt from the email that I sent them regarding my account termination.

"I think the process that was carried out in terminating my account was one sided. Yes, I did apply for some jobs and that I failed to pursue them but it was because they (employers) were also unresponsive.

I just felt that I was not given enough opportunity to explain things from my perspective. I received an email or some sort of a warning regarding my "performance" and reminded me that they would still monitor my account's performance but I found it odd since I was not even employed or I never accepted projects from any employers the time they sent me an email."

johnl264
10/26/15

I dont receomedn any one to use this site, they are big scammer.

dont recomended..

aliyek
9/26/15

they the one of my favorite as freelancer

marcosm11
9/23/15

We hire a freelancer way back in Nov of 14 and we are still waiting for them to complete the project as they promise it to be done within 4 month period!! Odesk/Upwork has given zero support to us concerning this issue..At this point we have been robbed

benedickv
8/5/15

I've been freelancing in Odesk for 4 years now, it's an hit and miss actually...The right client is out there just be patient in finding them, I've been earning 6 times now compare to my old salary, just be honest to your client, and be punctual in everything you do. You will get your reward, I am sure with that.

ahmada25
7/29/15

I worked on oDesk for 3 months, I was hired by a client who eventually did not pay for oDesk so they decided to suspend my and her account and said that my account is linked to her account !!!!!! Support and Risk Management teams refused to answer any question.

samz8
7/20/15

They are not pro and they change their website name every 6 months because of bad reviews on internet . they are now upwork company formerly odesk . they change name frequently.

They are fulltime scammers

stevej85
7/9/15

oDesk, now calling itself Upwork is a fraud. I sent them $200 to hold until I approved work submitted by a freelance artist. The artist took two months to work on a simple book cover and sent one unacceptable product. I sent the changes I wanted made. The freelancer did not make any changes and demanded payment. I sent a certified letter to Upwork stating that I rejected the product. They never signed for the letter. Upward sent two emails stating I must specifically reject the work or they would release the money on July 9. I replied to these emails on July 1 and again on July 6. On July 9th they sent a notice that they released the funds. There is no phone number to call this company, and their address in Mtn. View may not be real. They stole my deposit. Do not trust them. They are dishonest and their communication is nonexistent. I have also read that they don't pay their artists either.

greyh1
6/19/15

The following site is the definitive expose of the iWriter scam and the information there applies to many other freelance writing sites as well.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BELIEVE THE INFORMATION YOU FIND THERE.

One of the biggest online scams right now is in the "freelance writing" area.

The biggest company in this area is called iWriter and it is maybe the biggest online scam period.

Ignore all the fake positive reviews and fake websites recommending iWriter while pretending to be independent, they are all a part of the scam.

Iwriter is not just a huge scam, it is maybe the biggest of all the online scams.

There is an awesome website that uncovers the whole iWriter scam in great detail. The site is hilarious and extremely well-written.

It's also very thorough and comprehensive, maybe the best resource available yet on the iWriter scam.

That website shows clearly how fraud is not just peripheral to iWriter, but on the contrary, EVERYTHING at iWriter is fraud and scamming.

iWriter needs to be exposed to everyone until the iWriter scam is finally shut down.

georgej30
6/15/15

Where do I begin?

1. The site is UNUSABLE almost every Monday morning EST. You cannot advance from page to page within a keyword search for job postings.

2. They have not allowed us to use our agency profile for weeks now. They acknowledge its an error on their part and three weeks ago said "It's in the queue" to be fixed. We have email proof of this. We have to submit all applications as a freelancer only

3. They violated the Patriot Act by demanding that we submit a color scan of a US passport, then acknowledged in writing that this was another error on their part.

4. They have harassed us many times for a variety of things and interrupted our normal business procedures

5. The ODesk software that they REQUIRE you to download to work is intrusive and takes screenshots of your desktop or phone, risking your company's security

6. They do not pay you for work performed if the client bags on them. This is true for hourly work as well as a fixed fee job which they take no responsibility for as well

THIS WEB SITE IS GARBAGE, THE COMPANY IS LOCATED IN A DUMP (Look on Google Maps--it's a dump of a building in CA), and they are morons.

annies33
6/1/15

This company should closed its doors for hiring people who scam others out of their hard-earned money! The 'statistician' I hired, Augustine Cassis Obeng Boateng, was horrible!
STAY AWAY FROM HIM AND THIS COMPANY!!!!

glov85
5/10/15

christopherw34
4/29/15

I signed up for oDesk. I applied to three jobs. I got one of the three. I did it and the other person paid me through oDesk. The oDesk administration immediately suspended my account and the other person's account. Once suspended, I cannot receive my payment and he cannot get it returned. So, oDesk just kept the entire payment for themselves and told both of us the same thing: Your account has been suspended for irregularities. I have searched the web for complaints and I've found this same thing happens regularly. When oDesk gets the money, they suspend the accounts and keep the money. How is this not criminal?

sushilk1
4/27/15

I wonder, is anybody even watching the customer reps do. I wonder even customer support is outsourced?

They recently suspended my account. When asked why they suspended, they send a link - https://www.odesk.com/info/terms, with no mention of where the breach happened and what happened. It seems they have a standard reply to all the queries - "We regularly review member accounts to ensure activity follows oDesk policies and guidelines."

Well, just take my skills on other portal.

charlesk33
4/23/15

I joined oDesk last year and I have been a freelancer ever since.I have failed to receive payment from one client, so to all other freelancers beware of clients who offer fixed price jobs

dimitart2
4/11/15

Yesterday I receive a email that oDesk close my account. I ask several time why and nobody give me a valid reason. They just tell me "it is final decision". And now ban my account in the community forum to not ask WHY. I have 7 feedbacks with max stars. 100% completion rate and still my account is closed and banned from the forum?

jenh13
4/10/15

I've never seen a bigger display of mismanagement from any company in the history of businesses. This is not an exaggeration folks, it really is that bad. They only care about clients, making short-term profits and refuse to listen to feedback whatsoever.

Tip for consumers: Stay far, far away.

janeb49
4/5/15

Odesk doesn't really care. At all. Even if you are the client, agency owner or even just a freelancer, they don't care. I don't know if it's because of Elance and oDesk merger but still, they don't care.

joj52
3/31/15

I have my account on hold also without clear reasons. I asked them couple of times what is actual problem, they responded with some nonsenses. My rate is 4.9.

DID ANYONE TRY TO CONTACT SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE FOR ODESK BUT OUTSIDE CUSTOMER SUPPORT?

Tip for consumers: It is quite disappointing as I thought "Oh great, it finally gets better and better" and then Odesk support started to make troubles.

Yes….you are correct…they are horrible!

By ISSAC B.

I am not familiar with vendor but I strongly advise you not to work within the platform of odesk. Their work lacks transparency and credibility. It is much easier to build your own business outside of the odesk platform. This way you also will gain bigger clients and make much more money and most importantly you dont waste your time talking to kids on odesk who have no idea what they are doing at that place which in my opinion is really sad.

By AREEN O.

Hi. Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear about what happened to you on odesk platform. Freelance platforms like odesk carries risks such as not being always protected from clients who act the way your friend did. I don't think that customer service will be of any help to you in this situation. You may like to think of your options to retrieve your password On odesk so you can access your own profile and continue working with other clients. As for the charge that your friend owe you, there are attorneys who specialize in intellectual property. You may like to consiser a legal coconsultation. It is often provided for free. Sorry about your loss of money. I can imagine how hard it can be to accept that. Take this as a lesson in life and in freelancing world. Perhaps you would also consider to open your own writing business. Good luck with everything Areen

By AREEN O.

Questions? Get answers from the oDesk staff and other customers.

oDesk?