Review of Freelancer

support@freelancer.com
2018 Customer choice award

wernerb18
4/17/19

Freelancer support is helpful and fast in assisting with a problem.
The issue was resolved very quickly.

Thanks

mounirr
4/17/19

based on my own experience, Stephanie M. provided the support I needed in a very professional and fast manner. Thanks a bunch!

davids2196
4/16/19

Very short version -

1. I verified my account on 14 March and they sent me a confirmation email confirming this. I am now on my 6 support ticket to sort this. Every time I get back a standard repsonse that the issue is fixed... It's not as I am still receiving emails telling me to verify or lose my account!

2. I had two jobs I posted cancelled as apparently it was "school work" and against their terms of service, which I applaud.... Except, it clearly states in the description it is an article for a website about the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. 2 chats to customer support, still cancelled the project despite me confiming it was not school work. Incidentally I am 41 and left full-time education 23 yrs ago...

The crux of the issues-

1. They didnt read my emails
2. Left hand doesnt have a clue what right hand is doing
3. They have lost my personal data (driving licence) that I provided them when I first verified my account.
4. Despite 6 (I think it's that many) chats and email, not once has anyone actually taken the time to understand my issue

veronicak34
4/15/19

Marina was very helpful in resolving my issue. I appreciate it. She understood my issue and supported my request. Great agent!

campbellr5
4/15/19

The support person Marina who helped was so lovely. She was very prompt with the issue I had and even went above and beyond to fix it for me. She was efficient and so kind, I am very grateful, thankyou again.

awaiss2
4/15/19

they help me . thanks u so much. I was worried about my profile verification and i need help then reply me within 2 seconds. Freelancer is a world best service. Thank . u

preetib4
4/14/19

I had some issue with the payment option. Couldn't find the options. Katie did it all for me. :)

Freelancer rocks!

roses208
4/14/19

I am glad you have responded at once. I feel the user not only sent spam but also intended to scam Freelancers.

hongwuz
4/14/19

Very helpful and patient. I've been confused by this problem for over a week, but Mrs Marina B has solved this problem perfectly, therefore i'll give her a five star recommendation.

gachevm

Mary helps me a lot.
I did not see her face, but I believe that he is beautiful woman.
Because I knew that she is really good woman while we were chatting.
I am very satisfied because I knew her today.
Thank you Mary.

ikramt2
4/11/19

It's was a very good experience the support team ws very kind and helpful they resolve my problem. I want to thank them a lot

salema13
4/11/19

It is really hight quality, they have faster assistance. i recommended to everyone. it is useful website

Mason.

pervezh
4/11/19

I had wonderful experience about this
Gave me proper guidance
Gave me daily updates about different tasks
I like very much
Thanks

dungl5
4/11/19

I am really happy with her help. Real freelancers are a reliable system to work on. Thanks again for the help

chetans17
4/10/19

Because of the browser issue payment of 1450 was credited to my FreeLancer account. Marina helped me by contacting her finance team to return the funds to my source account in a short span of time.

subhab
4/10/19

All problems resolved with efficiency by Mason for me and for the freelancer. Keep up the good work.

indeveli
4/10/19

Mason was very helpfull, patient and kind. He answered to all my questions about invoicing and more and guided me to understand better the network.

federicop17
4/10/19

Mason assisted me very efficiently.
Was kind and professional. I got all the answers I were looking for.
I asked things about the app, about how freelancer works and about projects.

seanp112
4/9/19

Billing is completely messed up. I had the transaction statement in front of me yet I still couldn't understand it. My CPA who works for fortune 500 companies couldn't either. They will auto charge your card even with existing sufficient fund in your Freelancer Account for the project.
TL,DR: Hire a real person. Internet always has its limits, and this one is critical.

If you are a small business owner looking to have some extra help coming up with marketing/sales works, don't waste your time and effort with this platform. I expected 400USD of research work for my company because neither my staff nor I had the time to do it on our own. Many of them are college/high school students looking for a side gig; the worst ones had no proper English education nor any understanding of the true skills required to complete real works of career professionals. You see people there named "John William" and "Elizabeth Days" in England while their true IP locations are out of India or Bangladesh. Not saying the region implies anything, but I've worked with many very talented & hard-working Indian people in my life, and they usually don't mask their names with something else. I talked with over 20+ freelancers on the platform and picked the seemingly "best" (from his/her past work and experience) among them before I made the decision. Yet the work I received had so many grammatical mistakes and awkward phrasing to the point it wasn't even readable. The entire work I received was worthless because I couldn't use it in any way, shape or form. The freelancer thought I had absolutely no understanding of her time and work, yet I was frustrated because the time & money wasted and how I let my team down by using Freelancer.com thinking we could meet the timeline of our sales/marketing campaign. The freelancer was delusional about her writing skills. It was horrendous. I couldn't help but start to think about the reasons why most freelancers are on there in the first place. Many of them do not have daytime jobs, and I wouldn't be surprised to find most of them don't have real paying jobs at all. You need honest-to-God experience and skills to make money in the real world. Your time or effort means nothing if it turns out your work is not usable anywhere. Just like sales. If the guy says no, your work is wasted, and many times it was because you were just simply not good enough, and you're gonna stomach it, get all the feedback you can to know where it went wrong, and in the future get better at it. That's the hard lesson many freelancers on there don't seem to understand.

If you really need to get work done by someone else because of time limit or shortage of staff, hire a real person. Internet has many great resources, but when it comes to freelancing works, it's tough to find someone who understands and translate your expectations into the work that they do. They're just there for the gig and petty cash.

hassana65
4/8/19

This is good experience. I have questioned every point she answered me politely every questions. This review is based on my experience.

prateekk2
4/8/19

Had a small issue with the release of a milestone which was cleared up by Frieda S. very quickly. I hope all future problems are cleared up this quickly if any arise.

emmarentias
4/8/19

This guy was on the case within second, I Really thin he needs a pat on the back he explained to me so well what I should do and helped me. Thanks again

mdi31
4/8/19

chatting with Erwin C.so helpful and suppoter.thank you.listening carefully and trying to give my sulation. thanks again

mohameda178
4/8/19

I got tricked by someone, I talked to Katie R. and she helped me. I appreciate this. The support on freelancer is awesome.

ektishafa
4/8/19

I was having a severe issue in identity verification. The verification team didn't send me a ticket. So after Claudia told the team about the ticket. The team then send me the ticket. Thanks!

73 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Many people buy on Freelancer and they want to know if they have a system in place for refunds...

I'm a victim myself. I already stop using this more than a year ago. I'm surprised that the complains reach thousand plus and still counting... if that doesn't satisfy you I don't know what else will... goodluck

By Robert L.

Freelancer.com focused on employer only, they just want as many employer and project as they can regardless of their country, verification status and deposits. However all the restriction is for employee. This is the reason Freelancer didn't stop them to post project without deposit. almost 90% projects are fake (either posted by freelancer itself or fake/fraud employers). You have to be careful. keep following things in mind will prevent you from fraud much. 1. Don't work for Employers from India/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/Nigeria/Israel 2. Don't work for Employers whose name looks like Indian 3. Once the project is awarded to you, don't accept it unless the employer created initial milestone. Wait for at least 12 hours after milestone creation then accept it. 4. Ask for release step by step, don't work on next milestone unless previous is not released 5. Withdraw money from freelancer as fast as you can.

By Dodo B.

Its a real website, however crumby! - However, The workers or freelancers there are... - A Breeding ground frenzy of scammers! Almost set up to facilitate them or make it super easy to get scammed and ripped off and no way to get money back - resolution department - You would rather just let the money go, because you won't get it back anyway - just more trouble trying to! STAY AWAY FROM FREELANCER.COM I lost $1500 and was able to get back all but $500 but cost me $5000 in time and trouble! Just go to UPwork.com. much better, logs, timesheet, screenshots of work AND i'm making progress leaps and bounds over Freelancer.com.

By ian p.

Hi Dejan. This happened to me in 2014, I lost a lot of money too, I withdrew the money on a Wednesday after the client had paid me $1000 in full. Then the next day, Thursday, I got a message that my withdrawal request was cancelled and the money reversed back to employer. My account was suspended and when I asked why, I was told that the employer looked like he was fraudulent and that the money might be fraud. Up to date, I am still bitter, angry and sad over that $1000 but I never got it back and Freelancer closed the person's account and that was that. So I hope this answers some of your questions and I am deeply sorry for your loss after such hard work. All the best

By Pre G.
I had hired a freelancer to Design a logo for my company. I hired him and had to pay him ₹1500($25 approx). I selected the payment method as Paypal which was accepted on their website, a receipt was generated for ₹1500($25 approx) and I paid. After the payment was successful suddenly I realised that ₹100000($1534.80) were debited from my account instead of ₹1500($25 approx). I immediately emailed and chatted with the customer service of Freelancer and they said they will refund, but after 2 days had passed nothing happened. I again contacted them and they said that they have refunded the amount back to my Paypal account and even gave me a receipt for the refund. After another 2 days the balance dint show on my Paypal account, I again contacted Freelancer and they said that the fault is because of the Paypal service. I contacted Paypal and they said that no refund was initiated from Freelancer and if they do have refunded they(Freelancer) have to call Paypal and sort the matter. I told the incident to Freelancer and they then agreed that they had held up my payment and wont give it back until I called Paypal and tell them that I dont want a refund as it destroys the reputation of Freelancer and also makes 'matter complicated'. I called Paypal again letting them know that Freelancer wants to me close the dispute. Paypal strictly advised not to close the dispute as then refunding my money will be next to impossible. I have till now mailed Freelancer over 25 times and every time they blackmail me by saying closed the dispute and then we will see how much and when to refund. I gave them a warning that Ill go to court and still they dint agree, after I was adamant that I will not close the dispute and will move to court, they are now for over 4 days keep replying me the message saying that my case has been transferred to another department and I will hear from them within 48hours. Its been many days now and since the start I have been jumping from talking to their department to department (chat, refund, Verification, billing and more). Freelancer has now even limited my account and are threatening to block it and not refund the money at all. After searching on the net I found thousands of other similar cases where Freelancer debits money or doesnt refund the left balance of a customer back to them. Freelancer even agreed to the mistake of by fault debiting $1500 instead of ₹1500, but isnt refunding. Iam a very small man compared to this billion dollar company and I dont know what to do. These guys dont have any phone number\email of management\Address in my country. Please help me, I can provide with any proof you like. I even have saved all the chats and emails. Thank You Varun Anand

Dispute it with PayPal! Another beautiful example of why everyone hates Freelancer.

By Lydia P.

I would advise you against giving your credit card details. Freelancer is prone to setting up automatic recurring charges without giving you a clear heads up and lots of users have complained of getting automatically deducted for awarded projects even if you haven't been paid for the project yet. Their customer service is shady as heck too.

By Meg M.

Contact Paypal and file a dispute. I got a refund for the monthly amount that they should not have charged me for.

By Shannon M.

Good afternoon Rostyslav, unfortunately this has happened to most users of Freelancer including people who have been awarded projects. Ensure that you do not start any work or event accept a project until the following criteria have been met: 1. Project awarded 2. Initial milestone/deposit created 3. Client agrees to release the first payment immediately after you accepting the project. If they are unable to do this, tell then politely that you are unwilling to start on the project and keep looking for honest, legitimate clients. Be careful at all time on this website, even if you do vey thing by the book and the client still doesn't pay, the Freelancer support team will not help you. It is left to you to contact the client and chase the payment even of they delete their account.

By Adam R.

Freelancer is scam. I have very bad experience recently. "The payments you've received from your employer "-----------" were reversed due to their account issues. As a result, their account was closed" Lost over 800$. Freelancer also keep the fee for this job !!! Their support never answer. SCAM

By Antonis S.

Don't share you card. Use Paypal.. First of all don't use freelancer they are scammers.

By Talha H.
Questions? Get answers from the Freelancer staff and other customers.

Freelancer?