Review of UpWork

legal@elance-upwork.com
2018 Customer choice award

georgiosm4
1/15/19

You have to be very specific about what you want. Otherwise you will pay for nothing. Because from the seller point of view, they cannot work for days in order to satisfy you. On the other hand as a buyer you except something that the seller must do it in a big percent of of what you expect. And if the seller is not be able to do it? Have not the skills? If the product delivered is not what you expect you will pay for it... and you will not be able to argue or get a refund. Just be careful. I would put average to good, but because I ordered a work I paid a lot and I received nothing that I can use, and I have to pay again for something and start it from the beginning I put 2 stars.

leahs21
1/2/19

I was a freelancer on Upwork. This site mostly attracts clients who expect a lot but want to pay very little. Upwork also takes 20% from each payment made to the freelancer, which is insane. Do yourself a favor and don't join this site. It's not worth your time...

derrickj27
12/31/18

My experience with upwork has been great so far. It was quite difficult getting it started, but over time I have gained track, earned customers trust, and seen my earnings rise.

cassies39
12/21/18

The concept of it is a great one, but the service at upwork is the worst. They don't care about honest transactions and are willing to let scammers work on their platform as long as they get their cut. I lost thousands of dollars with upwork and they did nothing about it.
Not an honest company at all, use a different platform.

eddies80
12/20/18

At last, A company got it right. From there customer service to marketing.. they are top notch. I would recommend any freelancers to use GoLance.com

neilr99
12/16/18

Posted a listing for a writer for project paying up to $10,000. Absolutely 100% legit and all screens filled out properly. However, because of imbeciles running this site, my true, authentic posting was declined as a scam. I think they have it wrong - UpWork is the scam. Wasted 20 mins. describing high-paying job that many writers would jump at. Upwork is obviously an amateurish, nickel and dime operation with no experience or understanding of professional high paying projects. Go to other sites that really know this business.

tomk420
12/5/18

Freelancer logged double the hours than their quote and UpWork allowed it. I left freelancer an appropriate & honest review and they retaliated by leaving personal negative reviews of my business on Yelp. I complained to the BBB about this but UpWork still assumes no responsibility nor liability at all for promoting freelancers who end up costing a business income after over-charging. AVOID UPWORK FREELANCERS.

nebojsat1
12/4/18

I used to be a Rising Talent first then the Top Rated freelancer.

First, there was a 20% fee blow. As a freelance content writer, I can only dream about clients who would pay me $10K+ a year.

Then, I've submitted my suggestions to the Upwork support to improve their membership option more than once. With 60 bids/connects per month there's not much you can do. I didn't like the idea of paying $2 per additional bid.

Eventually, my account got suspended because I was bidding too many times with no success.

Thank you Upwork for all the years I spent there, but you aren't the only freelance platform out there.

kwintenn
11/30/18

I started freelancing through Upwork. I've been working through them ever since. I am working for a large company and a small business. And its very busy professional..

leob82
11/30/18

I really like this platform. I found some great freelancers to outsource some of my extra works. It is easy to set up profile, post job and hire the right freelancer from 100s of bids. Hasslefree process.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from the typical scam freelancers.

shaileshv2
11/28/18

It's waste of time , please this is my humble request to all the freelancer never ever trust on up work because i had 4 month old account and I have verified my id with up work as well as slowly i have started earning and almost earn 200$ and every day i was applying for work and suddenly one day up work lock my account and sent one payment in review , when i tried to contact them then there were no reply at all and not giving my any answer. I am more than 200% sure I have not violated any up work policy , if violate then why up work not saying that so and so policy you have violated because it's useless , NEVER TRUST IF YOU REALLY WANT TO INCREASE YOUR BUSINESS.

muhammadr42
11/26/18

They are terrible company. if you dont trust me then please go ahead and try it...
I have hired a lady for website...she has given no input to get any work done in last 4 weeks and guess what they keep taking money from my account. after several messages i decided to cancel the contract but Next week they took money again from my account.
REMEMBER, ONCE YOU HAVE PUT YOUR ACCOUNT DETAIL YOU CAN NOT CANCEL IT..TRY IT..
Where ever they are they are making fortune from UK market and because they are international and out side of UK so they dont fall under UK legislation....
Please please just careful using this platform, you just lose the money and regret.......

michaelg952
11/19/18

I found my web dev on Upwork and now he works full-time for me. That's the good news, it took about five tries to find him and one was a pure scammer. It's a caveat emptor world and if you're naive you'll most likely get burned. That said, there is some strong talent on the platform. Key to getting full value is to move your provider to a private platform and avoid the fees.

I used Elance for about 8 years before Upworks bought them out. Platform seems about the same. For the record, I've had my most luck with Eastern European coders and have had no luck with Indians and Pakis. The Russians can be hit and miss, I sense the stench of scam when I work with most of them.

davorz2
11/19/18

You could work through UpWork for 10 years and contribute tens of thousands of dollars to their profit and they could lay you off forever in a heartbeat based on their policy (after 10 years) or based on a whim of your employer who falsely reports you. If you built your freelance business solely on UpWork platform YOU ARE SCREWED my friend.

UpWork is just another example of evil corporatism. The fact that they make money out of connecting workers with employers for hard cash does not make them any different from weapons producers or oil companies.

They represent the evil nature of corporatism. They care only about their profit.

dmitryn6
11/11/18

1. Too expensive. 20% on the freelancer's side + some % on employer side + 1% transfer fee + monthly payment
2. Can't upload files more than 20M in the 'submit job' form, although can upload big file in the chat.
3. Have to pay $3500 to quit Upwork with a client

jayj193
11/9/18

Disable your profile with unknown reason when you get some work. This is Time Waste for freelancer to start work in from now 2018 -2019 onwards.

Support Team is Useless, Does not give 1% of support to you. For Them freelancer are waste person on earth.and they treated in same way.

kennethh203
11/9/18

Freelancer, Malek A ,overcharged me for work that there is no way to check. Went on vacation in middle of job. Then when it came to testing his work took it offline and blackmailed me to only restore our server to test it if we pay full overcharged amount. Asked me to pay not on upwork but with bitcoin. Upwork customer support did nothing and took his side. The freelancer only had a couple of small jobs for little money, which were probably planted reviews. Got scammed but very dissappointed because upwork didn't do anything. Still lost a lot money that I paid directly through paypal because upwork won't ask back for money from freelancer. Never in my 70 years have I been treated so poorly by a company. See screenshot of my chat with customer support where they say they can't do anything.

Tip for consumers: Don't

calumc3
11/8/18

Think you're able to rely upon freelancers' past client feedback? Think again.

From an upwork support agent: "Top Rated freelancers and agencies have the opportunity to remove feedback from one job so that it is not listed in their profile or considered in their Job Success Score. They can only do this once every 10 jobs had ended and after 90 days."

So my written feedback and scoring left for a provider was deleted by the provider. I wasted my time crafting my considered feedback, and now prospective clients to this supplier will be none the wiser.
What a JOKE upwork's feedback system is!

On a more minor note, upwork's practice of making you click on a button each and every time you click a provider's link to check their sample work is a frustrating waste of our time. Do upwork not know how the interwebs works?

amberd174
11/1/18

I spent two hours setting up the perfect profile and filling in all my info, taking tests, etc. I took the English to Italian translation test and literally scored #1 out of the 15000+ people who took the test. They still rejected my application! So let me get this straight, you reject the candidate that is better than everyone you already have because you "have to many people" in the area? What an absolute farce.

delim
10/30/18

Upwork doesn't understand that as a platform that connects freelancers and clients, they have a responsibility by referring freelancers to clients. When there is a problem with the quality of the service they provide, UPWORK will simply say that it is not their problem. It is like you take an UBER and the guy robs you or leaves you in the wrong city and Uber said "It is not my Uber's responsibility. If the driver didn't take you to your destination, you need to talk to the driver". How irresponsible is a company that doesn't understand their role in a commercial agreement? Please save yourself a lot of pain and use other services. Freelancers are great, but from time to time you will find a bad one. Just make sure you use the services of a great platform that takes their business seriously.

Tip for consumers: Just dont use this service. Try:
Freeeup
PeoplePerHour

ramons34
10/18/18

Like this service for the high-quality support and quick cooperation with the client. Yes, Upwork fees feel ridiculous at first, but the longer I use the system, the more I understand the need in place. Clients must verify their payment, they offer payment guaranteed jobs, and I am often approached by Upwork with jobs they matched me up with. The system also organizes my jobs, offers security. I'm doing well and am happy with UpWork and don't plan on switching platforms anytime soon.

patriciaa216
10/15/18

I have very mixed experiences with upwork, no good ones for SEO, some
lovely ones for a marketing adviser and photoshopping of images, but
terrible for website design. Am in the middle of a dispute now, the
designer was supposed to do design templates for 3 specific pages, and
the layouts, looked great. However his integrating was and still is a
mess, affecting text and layout on all the pages, to the extent, that I
am now having to spend hours undoing and re-doing all the work. And the
upwork view..." it appears that no clear violation of our terms has
been made"So sure, use them, but you are entirely alone if it goes wrong.

petek48
9/18/18

If you pay Upwork to see the bids made from other workers, there are so many workers from impoverished countries so the "low-balling" of bids, causes very little money to be made, if you're even chosen.

dmitrym10
9/15/18

didn't approved my perfect resume with no reason. Spent 24 hours of waiting and about an hour to fulfil their stupid specs with no luck, I'm located in US and their answer: too many programmers with your skill set in this area. Just stupid and unprofessional.

ameliar31
9/13/18

My working experience at UpWork started in February. I was working as an SMM-specialist and was involved in 3 projects. Frankly speaking, I didn't like any of my employees because when I started working there was one description of the project I had to accomplish and once I was selected there were some sufficient changes in it.

650 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I have read your review. UpWork is bad place for clients and for freelancers. I had issue as freelancer with and got to get help in their community. They have some old time working freelancers who provide suport.I went with my problem which was very simply ( client asks paypal details from me) and insted to get advice or support in forum I was verbally violated by those freelancers, they offended me and it was not one but 4 freelancers who verbaly abused me in the sam time! So the point is, they have `own`freelancers who are there to scam new clients, and if you are not satisfied with job as client it is your problem according to them! New freelancers have no chance. I am also very clsoe to get belive that they have own client too who used new freelancers to work for free and then when they have to pay for freelancers work , UpWork suspends account!

By Maya M.

this is not the place to inquire.

By Tom J.

I agree with Sam. This place is a scam. They have bad reviews everywhere. Katrina is probably working for them!

By Tom J.

I am a customer and have had a really horrible experience. Upwork claims a 100% guarantee before you pay anything. That is not true. The process is actually quite horrible. You put money in escrow. You only get your money back after a bad contract if the freelancer agrees to release the money. If the freelancer refuses, you get a bargain offer to still pay them something but still you are paying for a bad job you can't use. Then, if you refuse to bargain over a bad job, you are told that it will cost you an additional $389 to arbitrate with a 3rd party affiliate that the customer (me), the freelancer (scammer) and Upwork (ripoff enabler) has to pay. I took it all the way to arbitration with the end result being that Upwork decided that I was just too uninformed to know their policy and that they would give me a one time only refund of my original amount. What they didn't tell me what that they just gave me a "credit" of my original amount and that was the end. So I am still out the original amount and can't get my money back. This sight is a ripoff. Plain and simple.

By Joe S.

Because of their policy changes which are geared towards the client rather than the freelancer. They have dug their own grave with their policy changes of late.

By Ross S.

NEVER USE FREELANCER.COM!! If you think Upwork is bad, Freelancer.com is waaay more EVIL. Once they have your bank account number, they'll freely dip their greedy little hands into it and guess what - my bank didn't support me and made me pay. A quick backstory -- I entered a design contest which awarded $100 to the winner (supposedly). The FIRST thing they did when I entered was WITHDRAW $100 from my bank account. They said that when you entered a contest, they "HOLD" the winnings from your account and if you don't win the contest, they give it back to you. GOOD LUCK GETTING IT BACK. Another story -- I won a bid on a writing job which only paid $15 to the winner. I got the job and did it - customer was VERY happy. After deducting all their "fees," it COST ME $85 TO DO THE JOB!!! After months of my bank letting them take all they wanted, I was finally able to block all transactions at my bank. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!! If anyone knows a trustworthy site for freelancers, PLEASE TELL ME!!

By Karen O.

I don't know why. They simply don't give any support and are not opened to negotiate. They just closed my account and don't want me as client. I'm using Freelancer.com instead and it works very well.

By Robson T.

This is not the forum for this question. I advise you NOT to use elance.

By Tom J.

They do not have a very good vetting process for clients looking to hire freelancers. The site is flooded with scammers and clients who use loopholes to avoid paying for work once it's completed. And the customer service to get any kind of resolution for any issue is terrible. They also cater to the clients. Freelancers aren't allowed to file disputes, only clients are allowed to. I use to be a freelancer with them but left due to numerous issues and the fact that you have to weed through so many illegitimate clients to find any kind of reasonable freelance work.

By Amber W.

Common scam on the platform. Lots of scammers there. Please do your research before accepting any offers from clients. Especially if you have a bad feeling about it.

By Amber W.
Questions? Get answers from the UpWork staff and other customers.

UpWork?