Review of UpWork

legal@elance-upwork.com
2017 Customer choice award

anonymousa231
8/18/18

1. Allows Freelancers to log unauthorized hours and FORCE you to pay for work that you never asked for.
2. Allows those exact same Freelancers (who you have worked with for less than a single week) to leave you a one star review for pointing out their illegitimate logging of hours to steal your money.
3. Removes YOUR feedback on the thief Freelancer's account for pointing out they forcefully log work hours whether you ask for them or not, allowing them to continue their inexcusable theft.
4. Gives you a button to close your account, only to tell you "Your account cannot be closed at this time."

Inexcusable performance from a company that directly participates in stealing your money. Completely inexcusable. Avoid this site completely, if you can.

nicolei28
8/16/18

I'll give them 1 star because you can get projects without having experience. But the rest is out of this world. They perform certain check ups (fine by me) that have 0 relevance regarding certifications. How cand be relevant a 5 minutes chitchat on camera, with 0 question about one's background? Theeeeen comes the switch-to-private-mode actions even though i have ongoing contracts. Obviously, this would have never happened if i had a premium (paid) account - or at least this was their answer to my inquiery. And then comes the contract blockings, money blockings and any kind of blocking could cross your mind. I think it cand be alright-ish for some extra money, side projects, etc. If you can bear the harassement

zhuy
8/15/18

Odesk (old name of Upwork) became lousy after being merged with other freelancers site. You can't get a job easily if you don't have any earnings yet. And if you apply for let's say 10 jobs, they do suspend your account INDEFINITELY for the reason that your application is high. Below is an example of their email after suspending an account:

We are contacting you to let you know we have suspended your access to Upwork indefinitely.

Our decision is based on a careful review and the fact that you have submitted a high number of proposals for jobs on our site without many contracts or earnings. Unfortunately, this means the jobs posted by clients are not a good match for your skills.

I know this news is likely disappointing to you. But our goal at Upwork is to enable freelancers to successfully connect and collaborate with clients who need their skills and expertise. Unfortunately, this means we must part ways with freelancers whose skills are not in demand in our marketplace.

If you want to appeal this decision, you can email us at marketplace-appeals@upwork.com. Please note each case will be manually reviewed by our Trust & Safety team to decide if your account can be reinstated.

Please know we don't make decisions like these lightly and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Regards,
Upwork Trust & Safety

Now, you may want to open an account to them. BUT don't be shocked if one day, they will suspended your account too for unprofessional reasons.

Good day! :)

mateiioann
8/14/18

I have been on the platform for several years now and at some point I was a paying user. My expertise is in SEO and as you can imagine competition is high and there are a lot of so called "experts" that charge low rates and most of them land the jobs. In the first years I was charging also relatively low rates, but as my expertise and experience grew, I increased my rate, but at the same time considerably lowered the chances of getting projects easily.
What did upwork do? Probably after applying to 20-25 jobs in about 2 months, I get an email saying that my account has been removed because I had no contracts gained and that my skills are not required by their clients. No warning, no nothing (while 7 jobs where still active and I had proposals sent and waiting for replies).
Anyway - I will be looking into other platforms that are not flooded by low quality freelancers that don't care about quality of work and can afford to charge lower rates since they don't care about making a business connection with their clients.

bryanf60
7/30/18

I was a successful freelancer with Elance, which in 2013 was the best freelancing platform on the web. For six months I actually made a full time living as a writer/editor and supported a family of five after losing my day job. It was my water of life. Then someone got the bright idea to merge with ODesk, the ultimate dirtbag third-world lowball platform where I had never found any jobs that paid even close to US market value. If you mix water and dirt you get mud. Quality writing jobs disappeared and in the four+ years since the merger I have not seen one job worth bidding on. ODesk successfully poisoned and absorbed its more successful competitor.

Tip for consumers: Unless you like making a fraction of market value, don't waste your time.

grumpym3
7/23/18

I have used Elance before it became Upwork and the quality of providers was much higher . These days as long as someone can pass the basic ready test he is good to go and based on Upwork policys allowed to screw you out of time and money. If you and your contractor agree on terms Upwork does not care and allows them to bill you what they want. So if someone enters hrs you are stuck paying for services which where not delivered. Will be looking for a new platform to hire programming contractors as Upwork is becoming shady. They bill you Monday am, and before you can dispute something they deduct the $$ from your account. Legit companys give you a few days to review and you pay for undisputed amounts. But hey customer service is as bad as the platform itself as it is down multiple times a week

tetyanas
7/19/18

My Upwork experience started from March, 2018. I used to have up to ten clients. But the one was strange. It was Emma Serlin. Firstly, she asked to prepare the transcription without opening a contract. Secondly, she said that the result was great and opened the contract in order to pay for the previous file. Then she asked for another transcription and suddenly ended the contract with low feedback. After I asked her what was wrong, she said that she was not satisfied with the results. I can't understand, why she didn't say that she didn't like something when she actually did not like and asked for changes. I don't think this is reasonable. Be aware of such kind of employers, who can make a poo to your job success score.

davidm1510
7/19/18

Avoid Upwork at all costs when you require a software project. My experience is that Upwork will protect scammers and allow them to keep on working after taking your money. Software projects require time to iron out all the bugs and the Upwork platform will not allow you to modify reviews when freelancers do not complete their work but keep your money.

peterk277
7/18/18

I used Upwork for the first and it was the last time. Their freelancer delivered not functional website, I asked for a full refund, they said I need to ask freelancer. When I contact him for refund, he blocked me. I contacted Upwork again, sent them all necessary information about the work I was promised and what I recived, all messages...and after several emails they said that they just connect freelancers and clients and they cant do anything about my case. I lost my money and received very very poor website.

ufreei
7/18/18

Dont waste your time on upwork. they will not provide good support and charing to much and suspended active profile without any reason.

aliciah74
7/17/18

Upwork has a credit card verification process that is extremely burdensome for businesses. The customer and the freelancer have to spend numerous hours and a ridiculous amount of time verifying a couple hundred dollar credit card payment. Meanwhile, the freelancer has done the work and Upwork will not process process payment and pay the freelancer. Upwork has turned a great experience with my freelancer into a payment time-sink where I will no longer use the service. Too bad!

bobj215
7/11/18

Got linked up with a freelancer and it was going well until I realized there was no way this person could accomplish the task, and then you are just screwed. The freelancer was making 8th grade graphics, literally thought it was a joke when it first was submitted. I would never use this site again because of the process, you should get a trial period to see if the person can actually do what you are looking for.

Do not ever use this site, and if you do then know how much risk you are taking. I'm sure there are good freelancers on there but few and far between, good luck hunting.

sarahs618
6/30/18

I see a lot of negative reviews. I've been on the platform two months and am happy, overall. I think a lot of the negative reviews are left by those who break TOS, or who are inexperienced and/ or don't take the time to understand the ins and outs of the platform. Yes, Upwork fees feel ridiculous at first, but the longer I use the system, the more I understand the need in place. Clients must verify their payment, they offer payment guaranteed jobs, and I am often approached by Upwork with jobs they matched me up with. The system also organizes my jobs, offers security by lightly screening clients enough to verify they are real people and not bots, and there are a lot of checks and balances along the way that helps me avoided being, well, screwed over. I'm doing well and am happy with UpWork and don't plan on switching platforms anytime soon.

iwana
6/30/18

i have received good work from upwork wish i could have gotten it at cheaper price all in all it was ok work and i wish them the best

kevinh402
6/28/18

I posted a job on Upwork for white-hat, quality link building. I got a response from a freelancer promising the following:
"I will carry out an extensive research based on industry vertical and first prepare a list of related blogs, bloggers, influencers and website owners and start with an outreach campaign to gain valuable link placement on authority sites. Backlinks will be on highly relevant and authority sites and will be permanent and contextual links. Recently, I've had a very good success rate building in-content links on already published articles on authority sites."

He ended up placing 4 links on sites that had the lowest quality writing. 1 was de-indexed in google indicating it had already been penalized for spamming; 1 used to be a French e-commerce site that went out of business, and the domain was bought for history/DA and turned into a blog to sell links (domain name was complete irrelevant to the niche); 3 had all traffic coming from referral and direct traffic, indicating a PBN.

I asked him to remove the links. He never did. I ended up having to disavow the links.

What made matters worse, is when I contact Upwork and asked if I could leave feedback so other businesses would have a warning, they told me feedback was only allowed when payment was made on a project, but that it would count towards the freelancers job completion rate. I checked the freelancers job completion rate, at it was at 53%. Obviously, if someone misrepresents their skills, there will be a dispute. And, given his completion rate, this likely wasn't the first time. He is still operating nonetheless. This policy facilitates bad behavior by freelancers, and is a shady business practice by Upwork.

coden
6/24/18

Read the bad reviews and you'll know everything you need to know about UpWork. This form requires me to type a minimum of 100 characters. So I'll repeat: Read the bad reviews and you'll know everything you need to know about UpWork.

timv61
6/18/18

I recently signed up at Upwork and had my first project which took me about 1 day of work. All seemed to be perfectly normal. I completed the project the client approved payment and then suddenly my account was blocked.

After reaching out to the Customer Service, they informed me that I had to verify several details. Which I did, then they asked if I could reach out to my client as there was a problem they could not explain. I reached out to the client and didnt get an answer.

Then I mailed Upwork during a period of 2 months several times, I hardly got any response, sometimes it took over a week to get a respond from Upwork.

Today I received the message (see screenshot attached) that because my client was fraudulent they won't be paying me for my completed work.

It has been a terrible experience working with this company. There CS is rude, unprofessional takes ages to respond and the worst: they won't pay me for my completed work.

I strongly advice to not work with Upwork if you don't want to lose your money. This company is a mess!

luisr104
6/11/18

I've found work on this platform, but I prefer to have it outside the platform because of the comissions... Too high

ratnag
6/5/18

i dont know what they think bout themsleves , i took 5 motnths to become toprated and then suddenly during varification all submitted doc file they r rejecting and they suspend my profile . and aksing me u infuture u cant open any new acc..wtf! do u think we a dealing drugs over ther? get a life .. racist site..

roomyr
5/31/18

If you want put your money in the sea, please go to upwork. They are stealers who stole my money. I hired a freelancer who didnt complete the work but upwork has released my deposit which was in the upwork escrow without my consent.

kellyl210
5/30/18

Upwork is a waste of money and time. I hired a copy editor, who actually left out a sentence in the first paragraph of my book. I next hired a proofreader who was so bad I made her give me my money back. If you want either, find someone through word of mouth.

healthn
5/14/18

With good intentions I was looking for work writing, editing and reviewing for media sites. Here is an example of some of the work offered on UpWork. First employer: I need a 40 page e-book written in 2 weeks for $50. Second employer: For my blogsite I need 2-4 blogs per month (1,000 words each) to be paid at the rate of $10 each. Must have a minimum of a masters degree. Third employer: Need a tutor for my bratty kid to train in the sciences. Will pay $5 per session. These a facetious representation yet they come close to the mark to the job offerings on UpWork. This company keeps a minimum of 20% of the wage. My advice: Upwork is a disaster paying slave wage with potential employers who are either nutcases or live under a rock. Many better sites stay light years away from this one.

leanettet2
5/7/18

A complete waste of time. I should have trusted the poor reviews before signing up. Their platform is totally archaic at best. They boast over 50K jobs available, but the majority are scams or low-brow offers. Hardly worth the time and energy. The gig descriptions are often vague, and the "client" rarely if never follows up with you, in a timely manner [2-3 days]. And most of them only open a new browser page that requests your Credentials---basically what you already have on your profile [including your resume] So really, you're just repeating yourself. Sorry - but no freelancer has the time or patience to roll with this nonsense.

kathryns65
4/27/18

I have been a freelancer for a very short time with UPWORK and no where are you able to reach out for assistance as a "Freelancer" to make sure you get paid. I have recently been engaged with two doctors from Washington to solicit and create a sponsorship package for their event in Martha's Vineyard, a "Mindfulness Retreat", Aeva Doomes. I was not paid and they ended contract. They were very hard to work with and very rude, sending threatening emails on time frames, etc. Upwork answered no outreach to assist.

yogeshp8
4/17/18

Third class freelancing service provider, this is for only few peoples, not for all. They don't want allow you to make profile on there platform. Everything is rubbish. :/

650 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I have read your review. UpWork is bad place for clients and for freelancers. I had issue as freelancer with and got to get help in their community. They have some old time working freelancers who provide suport.I went with my problem which was very simply ( client asks paypal details from me) and insted to get advice or support in forum I was verbally violated by those freelancers, they offended me and it was not one but 4 freelancers who verbaly abused me in the sam time! So the point is, they have `own`freelancers who are there to scam new clients, and if you are not satisfied with job as client it is your problem according to them! New freelancers have no chance. I am also very clsoe to get belive that they have own client too who used new freelancers to work for free and then when they have to pay for freelancers work , UpWork suspends account!

By Maya M.

this is not the place to inquire.

By Tom J.

I agree with Sam. This place is a scam. They have bad reviews everywhere. Katrina is probably working for them!

By Tom J.

I am a customer and have had a really horrible experience. Upwork claims a 100% guarantee before you pay anything. That is not true. The process is actually quite horrible. You put money in escrow. You only get your money back after a bad contract if the freelancer agrees to release the money. If the freelancer refuses, you get a bargain offer to still pay them something but still you are paying for a bad job you can't use. Then, if you refuse to bargain over a bad job, you are told that it will cost you an additional $389 to arbitrate with a 3rd party affiliate that the customer (me), the freelancer (scammer) and Upwork (ripoff enabler) has to pay. I took it all the way to arbitration with the end result being that Upwork decided that I was just too uninformed to know their policy and that they would give me a one time only refund of my original amount. What they didn't tell me what that they just gave me a "credit" of my original amount and that was the end. So I am still out the original amount and can't get my money back. This sight is a ripoff. Plain and simple.

By Joe S.

Because of their policy changes which are geared towards the client rather than the freelancer. They have dug their own grave with their policy changes of late.

By Ross S.

NEVER USE FREELANCER.COM!! If you think Upwork is bad, Freelancer.com is waaay more EVIL. Once they have your bank account number, they'll freely dip their greedy little hands into it and guess what - my bank didn't support me and made me pay. A quick backstory -- I entered a design contest which awarded $100 to the winner (supposedly). The FIRST thing they did when I entered was WITHDRAW $100 from my bank account. They said that when you entered a contest, they "HOLD" the winnings from your account and if you don't win the contest, they give it back to you. GOOD LUCK GETTING IT BACK. Another story -- I won a bid on a writing job which only paid $15 to the winner. I got the job and did it - customer was VERY happy. After deducting all their "fees," it COST ME $85 TO DO THE JOB!!! After months of my bank letting them take all they wanted, I was finally able to block all transactions at my bank. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!! If anyone knows a trustworthy site for freelancers, PLEASE TELL ME!!

By Karen O.

I don't know why. They simply don't give any support and are not opened to negotiate. They just closed my account and don't want me as client. I'm using Freelancer.com instead and it works very well.

By Robson T.

This is not the forum for this question. I advise you NOT to use elance.

By Tom J.

They do not have a very good vetting process for clients looking to hire freelancers. The site is flooded with scammers and clients who use loopholes to avoid paying for work once it's completed. And the customer service to get any kind of resolution for any issue is terrible. They also cater to the clients. Freelancers aren't allowed to file disputes, only clients are allowed to. I use to be a freelancer with them but left due to numerous issues and the fact that you have to weed through so many illegitimate clients to find any kind of reasonable freelance work.

By Amber W.

Common scam on the platform. Lots of scammers there. Please do your research before accepting any offers from clients. Especially if you have a bad feeling about it.

By Amber W.
Questions? Get answers from the UpWork staff and other customers.

19 Photos for UpWork