Review of UpWork

legal@elance-upwork.com
2018 Customer choice award

winkieg
5/23/19

I tried to register on Upwork twice. Both times the account was suspended despite the fact that I did nothing at all! I will look for another platform.

stefanm72
5/22/19

I posted my work and got contacted by a freelancer who convinced me I had to pay a milestone upfront, I thought that Upwork was a good platform and would protect me if this person was going to scam me, but they sided with the scammer and told me there was nothing they could do about it. I am never using Upwork again!

davidm1987
5/16/19

I just joined the site and 20 minutes later I get this email.

We have reviewed all aspects of your account, and unfortunately, you are violating Upwork's Terms of Service. We regret to inform you that based on that review, it has been determined that your account will not be restored. The Terms of Service violation(s) in question lead to this final decision. Please be advised that we may not respond to further requests regarding this issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Rose
Upwork Trust & Safety

I did not even get a chance to add details to the account so why suspend!! Horrible, Horrible company

austinm107
4/24/19

Signed up and contacted a few freelancers. Decided to hire local and simply stopped talking to them. 6 months later, I saw a $2.50 charge from them. I logged in to see what was happening. One of the freelancers was charging me small amounts (so I wouldn't notice) even though no tasks were given, and no hiring was done. They have totaled to about $100. Contact upwork and the response "It has been too long, nothing we can do. Here is a credit of $2.50 for the most recent one."

Ask for a supervisor and still nothing. Time for a bank chargeback, and a complaint with the BBB. This company is a horrible SCAM!

Believe the horrible reviews, this company is the worst freelancer company out there.

daphned12
4/15/19

Up work suspended my account without any notification or valid reason? Even they Suspended with money? Thousands of dollars gone ?? Wtf!! It 's totally a scam Company.
Please avoid using these stupids. Their customer support is awful. They are cheating everyday. Destroying top rated freelancers life and dream.

markf420
4/9/19

Not only is their website terrible to work with, they appear to be stealing money from my freelancer. I just logged on to re-hire a freelancer I hired in February. That is when I saw a message from him that he left back in February after the job was done. I copied the message below

Hi MarkI hope everything is fine with you. I have big favor to ask.Upwork suspended my account without giving any reason. Which is very strange to me. All my feedback is very good, clients were happy with the work i did for them, i am doing projects currently. I don't see what that reason could be. But from what i read now online it's not for the first time that this happened at upwork, which is alarming! They basically block freelancer accounts (including account balance) without any explanation and don't respond to any form of communication. I am experiencing this now with them.They took money from my balance and i believe returned it to your account.I have big favor to ask, i hope you value the work i did for you and would like to pay me for the work i did i would be very grateful.

So, I looked at my account and see Upwork billed my credit card twice for this job and credited back one of the charges. So Upwork took my money and did not pay the Freelancer. My credit card company has pulled back the money Upwork took and I just paid my freelancer on PayPal.This company cannot be trusted.

robinh283
3/31/19

This site asks for personal banking data to complete a profile - before it approves applicants. This is dangerous as they do not explain their data protection policies nor do they respond when queried about how they protect your personal information..

timb460
3/29/19

I was scammed out of thousands of dollars by a "freelancer". The company did nothing to help verify the identity of the individual for the lawsuit I had so I had to drop the lawsuit.

philippem20
3/26/19

Greatest Platform for freelancing Excellent service. Thank you team Upwork Keep up the good work. ....

marinam102
3/19/19

I can give you the first project on Upwork or Freelancer so you will have your first review, for details: telegram @diarfaton or marinamathersmm@gmail.com

avad13
3/7/19

I'm going through an arbitration case with Upwork right now. It's horrible. The best Upwork does is email between both parties before requesting $291 more so that the case can go to arbitration. It's the worst. I do not recommend using Upwork at all.

jasonv97
2/6/19

I am a working professional designer and thought I could earn some extra money from Upwork. The clients are generally terrible at communication. Countless people have accepted my proposals, wasted my time with back-and-forth emails, etc. Only to disappear and never be heard from again. In addition to the low quality clientele, the site is over saturated with mediocre, untrained awful freelancers. Upwork is garbage and I will never waste my time with them again.

veronicam147
2/3/19

I joined Upwork two years ago because a friend told me about this place for freelancers and I was looking for a good site to gain experience and earn some money.

I immediatly encountered issues where despite my applications, no client was interested because of my lack of experience on the site, thus no profile reviews on my part which didn't make me appear like a trustful user. I gave up for a long time until I started receiving invites to interviews not long ago and I decided to give it another try, so I replied, sent applications... nothing.

The most disheartening thing is the very little amount of money clients are willing to offer a freelancer. They want you to deliver a detailed work without paying as much as it's worth and they even "mock" you saying you shouldn't expect that much especially if you are new on the platform and with no feedback at hand. This is very disrespectful and not professional at all.

Other clients are also very vague about what they want the moment you finally find someone interested, sending you references and telling what they need without actually showing you in detail. This will result in a terrible waste of time and again, for a very little amount of money. As if that weren't enough, Upwork apparently likes hiding your profile if you haven't earned money for a while, or used the platform at all even when you're actually in the middle of a contract. You use the site because you want to create a better portfolio and get the needed feedbacks to work more, but how are you supposed to do so if they hide your account from the clients? They don't really offer you the chance to grow unless you're lucky and the small ones are basically treated like slaves most of the time. You want a job well done, you pay as much as the freelancer deserves, simple as that. If you want a cheap job go looking for royalty free stocks and be happy with it. One thing many people fail to consider is that some of us are from Europe and the currency changes depending on your Country. Living in Italy I already face a considerable loss whenever I convert from USD to Euro and if we count the fees Upwork itself takes from the final price offered by the client, you may end up earning HALF if not less of what they are offering you.

If you're considering the platform to begin your freelance career, don't even bother with Upwork, it's a no-go.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. At all.
if you still want to, please have some respect for yourself and the work you do. Do NOT accept a cheap job only to make your profile grow and do not continue unless the client offers you all the needed references and explanations. Back and forth communication is useless if you don't have a clue about what they're asking for.

If you are a client, PLEASE have some more consideration for freelancers and consider paying them more than what everyone else is offering.

non203
2/1/19

If you are a freelancer and have two goals: build up your resume and/or your portfolio and you would like to make money doing so - Do NOT use Upwork.com. You can do better elsewhere.

georgiosm4
1/15/19

You have to be very specific about what you want. Otherwise you will pay for nothing. Because from the seller point of view, they cannot work for days in order to satisfy you. On the other hand as a buyer you except something that the seller must do it in a big percent of of what you expect. And if the seller is not be able to do it? Have not the skills? If the product delivered is not what you expect you will pay for it... and you will not be able to argue or get a refund. Just be careful. I would put average to good, but because I ordered a work I paid a lot and I received nothing that I can use, and I have to pay again for something and start it from the beginning I put 2 stars.

leahs21
1/2/19

I was a freelancer on Upwork. This site mostly attracts clients who expect a lot but want to pay very little. Upwork also takes 20% from each payment made to the freelancer, which is insane. Do yourself a favor and don't join this site. It's not worth your time...

derrickj27
12/31/18

My experience with upwork has been great so far. It was quite difficult getting it started, but over time I have gained track, earned customers trust, and seen my earnings rise.

cassies39
12/21/18

The concept of it is a great one, but the service at upwork is the worst. They don't care about honest transactions and are willing to let scammers work on their platform as long as they get their cut. I lost thousands of dollars with upwork and they did nothing about it.
Not an honest company at all, use a different platform.

eddies80
12/20/18

At last, A company got it right. From there customer service to marketing.. they are top notch. I would recommend any freelancers to use GoLance.com

neilr99
12/16/18

Posted a listing for a writer for project paying up to $10,000. Absolutely 100% legit and all screens filled out properly. However, because of imbeciles running this site, my true, authentic posting was declined as a scam. I think they have it wrong - UpWork is the scam. Wasted 20 mins. describing high-paying job that many writers would jump at. Upwork is obviously an amateurish, nickel and dime operation with no experience or understanding of professional high paying projects. Go to other sites that really know this business.

tomk420
12/5/18

Freelancer logged double the hours than their quote and UpWork allowed it. I left freelancer an appropriate & honest review and they retaliated by leaving personal negative reviews of my business on Yelp. I complained to the BBB about this but UpWork still assumes no responsibility nor liability at all for promoting freelancers who end up costing a business income after over-charging. AVOID UPWORK FREELANCERS.

nebojsat1
12/4/18

I used to be a Rising Talent first then the Top Rated freelancer.

First, there was a 20% fee blow. As a freelance content writer, I can only dream about clients who would pay me $10K+ a year.

Then, I've submitted my suggestions to the Upwork support to improve their membership option more than once. With 60 bids/connects per month there's not much you can do. I didn't like the idea of paying $2 per additional bid.

Eventually, my account got suspended because I was bidding too many times with no success.

Thank you Upwork for all the years I spent there, but you aren't the only freelance platform out there.

kwintenn
11/30/18

I started freelancing through Upwork. I've been working through them ever since. I am working for a large company and a small business. And its very busy professional..

leob82
11/30/18

I really like this platform. I found some great freelancers to outsource some of my extra works. It is easy to set up profile, post job and hire the right freelancer from 100s of bids. Hasslefree process.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from the typical scam freelancers.

shaileshv2
11/28/18

It's waste of time , please this is my humble request to all the freelancer never ever trust on up work because i had 4 month old account and I have verified my id with up work as well as slowly i have started earning and almost earn 200$ and every day i was applying for work and suddenly one day up work lock my account and sent one payment in review , when i tried to contact them then there were no reply at all and not giving my any answer. I am more than 200% sure I have not violated any up work policy , if violate then why up work not saying that so and so policy you have violated because it's useless , NEVER TRUST IF YOU REALLY WANT TO INCREASE YOUR BUSINESS.

650 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I have read your review. UpWork is bad place for clients and for freelancers. I had issue as freelancer with and got to get help in their community. They have some old time working freelancers who provide suport.I went with my problem which was very simply ( client asks paypal details from me) and insted to get advice or support in forum I was verbally violated by those freelancers, they offended me and it was not one but 4 freelancers who verbaly abused me in the sam time! So the point is, they have `own`freelancers who are there to scam new clients, and if you are not satisfied with job as client it is your problem according to them! New freelancers have no chance. I am also very clsoe to get belive that they have own client too who used new freelancers to work for free and then when they have to pay for freelancers work , UpWork suspends account!

By Maya M.

this is not the place to inquire.

By Tom J.

I agree with Sam. This place is a scam. They have bad reviews everywhere. Katrina is probably working for them!

By Tom J.

I am a customer and have had a really horrible experience. Upwork claims a 100% guarantee before you pay anything. That is not true. The process is actually quite horrible. You put money in escrow. You only get your money back after a bad contract if the freelancer agrees to release the money. If the freelancer refuses, you get a bargain offer to still pay them something but still you are paying for a bad job you can't use. Then, if you refuse to bargain over a bad job, you are told that it will cost you an additional $389 to arbitrate with a 3rd party affiliate that the customer (me), the freelancer (scammer) and Upwork (ripoff enabler) has to pay. I took it all the way to arbitration with the end result being that Upwork decided that I was just too uninformed to know their policy and that they would give me a one time only refund of my original amount. What they didn't tell me what that they just gave me a "credit" of my original amount and that was the end. So I am still out the original amount and can't get my money back. This sight is a ripoff. Plain and simple.

By Joe S.

Because of their policy changes which are geared towards the client rather than the freelancer. They have dug their own grave with their policy changes of late.

By Ross S.

NEVER USE FREELANCER.COM!! If you think Upwork is bad, Freelancer.com is waaay more EVIL. Once they have your bank account number, they'll freely dip their greedy little hands into it and guess what - my bank didn't support me and made me pay. A quick backstory -- I entered a design contest which awarded $100 to the winner (supposedly). The FIRST thing they did when I entered was WITHDRAW $100 from my bank account. They said that when you entered a contest, they "HOLD" the winnings from your account and if you don't win the contest, they give it back to you. GOOD LUCK GETTING IT BACK. Another story -- I won a bid on a writing job which only paid $15 to the winner. I got the job and did it - customer was VERY happy. After deducting all their "fees," it COST ME $85 TO DO THE JOB!!! After months of my bank letting them take all they wanted, I was finally able to block all transactions at my bank. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!! If anyone knows a trustworthy site for freelancers, PLEASE TELL ME!!

By Karen O.

I don't know why. They simply don't give any support and are not opened to negotiate. They just closed my account and don't want me as client. I'm using Freelancer.com instead and it works very well.

By Robson T.

This is not the forum for this question. I advise you NOT to use elance.

By Tom J.

They do not have a very good vetting process for clients looking to hire freelancers. The site is flooded with scammers and clients who use loopholes to avoid paying for work once it's completed. And the customer service to get any kind of resolution for any issue is terrible. They also cater to the clients. Freelancers aren't allowed to file disputes, only clients are allowed to. I use to be a freelancer with them but left due to numerous issues and the fact that you have to weed through so many illegitimate clients to find any kind of reasonable freelance work.

By Amber W.

Common scam on the platform. Lots of scammers there. Please do your research before accepting any offers from clients. Especially if you have a bad feeling about it.

By Amber W.
Questions? Get answers from the UpWork staff and other customers.

UpWork?