Review of MaxSold

Tel: 1-866-672-3677 ext 2
support@maxsold.com

donnaf238
2/18/19

Max sold fired me so quick it make my head spin not even a warning.BRI for New Jersey wanted me out and she got her wish .Max sold u should be Ashamed

katrinad34
1/23/19

I have bought some really interesting things from these auctions and I am always pleased. I often thing my husband might thing I am nuts but he loves the treasures I have found too. hidden gems at these auctions!!!

hasanm19
1/17/19

Its a great place to buy some really amazing stuff, there will be a lot of antiques and odd items in these sales. Fun way of teaching the kids about bygone eras, and learning new things.

chrisr531
1/16/19

Have had a couple of experiences from buying side - easy to use site, bidding system is fair and equitable, items were definitely as pictures, and organization for pick up is hassle free and very coordinated.

jenniferm1041
1/15/19

I was amazed at the items I was able to bid on at Maxsold. My very first winning bid was for an item our family was in need of - a brand new garbage disposal. We got this for a great price and have been very happy with all our purchases.

derekl66
1/12/19

Just completed a purchase through MaxSold - the pictures were accurate, the billing was easy and the pickup process exactly what was advertised. In short, it was easy and hassle free. I will be using this process again, soon.

bobs598
1/12/19

I have been dealing with maxsold for a few years and have never had a problem it is one of the smoothest websites never had a problem .

joanw127
1/12/19

I have purchased so many items through MaxSold. Only once was I disappointed and this was a Seller Managed auction. The item was described as new but was so old and rusty I got rid of it at a recycling place. When I spoke with a MaxSold representative I was offered my money back but I declined. Apart from this one purchase, everything I or my daughter-in-law has purchased has been as good as the description said, and at reasonable prices. I recommend MaxSold unconditionally. My only problem is the more people I tell about this auction website, the more competition I have! Every day I go on the website and browse through the interesting items. I must add I have found the MaxSold employees have gone out of their way to assist me when I picked up my purchases.

mjr12
1/8/19

I spend a lot of time on line. Some of that is spent browsing MaxSold for great buys on all kinds of things from furniture, knick knacks, dog stuff and artwork. This is a great company that cares about its buyers and customer service is impeccable. I have been a MaxSold buyer for about 10 years and have no complaints whatsoever. I have never been disappointed with my 'finds' and have scored some amazing bargains. It always surprises me when someone says that they have never heard of MaxSold. When it comes time to downsize, I know who to call to get it done quickly, efficiently and fairly.

scottp268
12/25/18

I estimate that my items sold for about 10-20% of their fair market value. Items were bid on and then not picked up. When asked about it, I was told it was "my problem now". Also, items were not paid for and I was penalized for that. I asked for help from support and was told that I had signed a contract stating that I would be penalized. I don't recall that part of the contract, but all communication was cut off at that point. So, be warned. You won't get all of your items sold, and you won't get a good value for the ones that actually do sell.

UPDATE: I've seen other responses to negative reviews and there is a comment about these services being more about "time" than "money" - I.e. in order to assist people in a difficult situation they work quicker to get the items sold. However, that's the first time I had ever heard that as a seller. After talking to at least three different people in the phone and via email during the introductory phase of this process, it would seem someone could have told me that.

Also, I've seen where the effort is described as 45+ hours onsite. I had one person come out to take pictures for about 4 hours and one person stay to have items picked up for another 3 or 4. So, there is nowhere near 45 hours put in for these auctions. It seems like an excuse for an exorbitant rate. Now, in my case I was given a $200 credit on services since my auction wasn't that "large". Without that, though, I would have made less than $100. With it, I didn't even make $300. However, by this same math, they did about 20 hours of work for me and cleared over $600. That seems a bit high for the services I received as well as the fact that about 30-40% of my items were either not sold or not picked up.

Response from MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative
Response: It’s always disappointing to have a seller unsatisfied with our process. In this case, we are both sorry but also confused by the comments as our information does not coincide with the details listed in this review. That said, I will attempt to address this review for other readers:

Prices: It’s an unfortunate reality that the market doesn’t always pay a seller what a seller thinks is a fair price for individual things (or perhaps even in aggregate) under a competitive auction model (this is true for any auction company). Maxsold does its very best to provide both a detailed outline of our process (www.maxsold.com/sell) and share our past auction data (www.maxsold.com/past) to prepare sellers for the realities of the market when items must be sold. Sellers have both financial and emotional attachments to items and so our job is to sell only those items they need to part with - typically items that will soon be a liability due to a move / sale of real estate / etc. as selling the items avoids additional, ongoing, logistical and/or storage costs. Our model, which includes selling everything to the highest bidder regardless of price, guarantees our sellers a finite and transparent experience that passes the logistical burden onto the buyers as they MUST arrive and remove, with their own resources, all of their purchases from the sellers location during a short time window agreed to by the Seller. This saves hundreds (if not thousands) in labor alone.
Contract Elements - Section 8 of our contract has the Seller understand and acknowledge that they will be responsible for things not included in our services such as organizing, pre-sale de-cluttering, cleaning, and disposal of unsold, unpaid, or unclaimed GOODS (if any). In this seller’s case, they had us market 16 auction lots (a typical ask is ~120 auction lots) and, due to the low volume, did not have the results one might expect from a full estate sale.
Our maxsold managed commission is public on our website (www.maxsold.com/fees) and is listed as 30% + $700. This typically covers about 40+ hours on site, 5+ hours behind the scenes, and $100s in marketing. In this seller’s case, we performed 6 hours on site so, instead of billing them our contracted and agreed to fees for our effort, we billed them our standard ‘time’ fee of $50/hr for the labour and 30% on the sale of goods (as if they had conducted a Seller Managed sale with us providing assistance). We cannot determine what ‘value’ a seller places on their time. In this case, we provided a credit (where no credit was owed) given we were efficient in completing the job. This represented a $400 discount on our fees.
The unpaid amount in this sellers auction was $3.69 and neither party (the Seller or maxsold) benefited from this as Maxsold does not collect commission on unpaid amounts.
Ultimately, it’s always disappointing when we do not achieve our average 98% sell-through/removal rate, however, I think you’ll find that if you review the auction yourself, you’ll see it was an odd and interestingly low volume for an estate sale.

If interested, check out this perspective on the evolving need and how Maxsold helps:

MaxSold continues to reinvest all funds made in the pursuit of its vision to Sell.Everything.Simply for downsizing and estate clients without judgement: http://maxsold.com/maxsold-purpose/

Feel free to check out the results of this auction for yourself. As with all our auctions, this auction was executed with unmatched transparently. Additionally, our experience suggests our solution was not the first chosen given the very limited volume of goods (i.e. there were other sales conducted first by other parties which in turn hurt our ability to create a more successful result for the Seller). Although we support every seller who wishes to hire us, we can only work with the inventory we are provided and we are ultimately sorry that our seller is disappointment in this case:

jash2
12/22/18

I don't know how I discovered MaxSold but boy am I glad I did. No matter what you're into or looking for, you will probably find it at an auction near you, and likely for a great price. I used to spend hours visiting antique malls, garage sales, thrift stores etc. looking for specific items. No more! Now I browse local MaxSold auctions from the comfort of my home. Bidding is simple, and winning an auction is thrilling! Pick-ups are fairly straightforward (once I was caught off guard when I was forced to manually remove shelves that were screwed onto a wall). I almost wish I could keep MaxSold a secret to reduce the competition, but where's the fun in that? I've even seen items I lost out on show up in a local antique store for 2-3x the price.

sidg25
12/18/18

A family I know very well used MaxSold and it was one of the most stressful and disappointing things they have done. They were dealing with the death of a parent and were trying to find some help in a hard journey. Any $ you make will go to paying their staff for the poor work they do and there is terrible communication of what is happening. The family was hoping to make some $ from selling most of their parent's belongings to help pay some expenses for the funeral and in the end, even after making quite a bit of $, they did not get any of the money and they had to pay MaxSold because they charged an outrageous amount to pay their staff and they also take a commission off of the sales. When the items were picked up by people, the house was left in a terrible state and a friend of mine who picked up a lot they bid on said they were surprised at how poorly the house was treated and that people were yanking things off the wall, banging things around, walking around the house with their boots on and the neighbourhood was packed with cars and people had furniture and items all over the front yard. There was no order to getting things out of the house. If you want help in selling some of your belongings or the belongings of someone you love, then steer clear from using this company. You are better off selling on Kijiji, having a yard sale or giving your stuff away to the less fortunate and feeling good about that knowing you helped others instead of getting ripped off and being upset in the end.

Response from MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative
It’s disappointing that we are not being made aware of who this Seller may be so that we may attempt to rectify the situation for them. That said, I will attempt to address this feedback based solely on what has been provided.

1) Almost every Seller who comes to MaxSold is coming at a difficult time in their life and we 100% agree, that it’s a stressful and emotional time for them.

2) Our maxsold managed fees are listed on www.maxsold.com/fees at 30% + $700. This covers ~45+ hours on site, 10+ hours behind the scenes, and $100s in marketing. If you do the math, I’m sure you’ll appreciate it’s not about high paying jobs, it's about an important service at an even more important time in people's lives.

3) We state unequivocally that our solution is about controlling time, not price. We do this because controlling price doesn’t help someone who needs an empty home as a result of an estate. They have more important things to worry about. See for yourself at www.maxsold.com/start

4) Expecting the goods to pay for activities is an unrealistic expectation for the vast majority of families. Any value most families have is either in liquid or real estate assets. Everything else is a liability that, for most alternatives, ends up costing $1000s to deal with. Our solution recovers something for everything which makes it the most economical choice.

5) It’s true that our process has the buyers enter the home to remove the goods under our supervision typically in a 2-4 hour window of time. For health and safety, buyers keep their boost/shoes on especially when moving heavy furniture items. In our experience, this is safer and more transparent than any other alternative including those listed by this reviewer (who I might had has taken to time to reach out and/or learn about us and what we do). For before and after pictures, feel free to check out https://maxsold.com/estate-sale-before-and-after

6) It’s also true that, if you do not value time (i.e. you think selling everything individually is a good use of your time), Maxsold is not a good solution as our value proposition is about saving the seller time while providing a reliable, efficient, safe and transparent process so that they can focus on more important things typically going on in their life.

We would typically share the auctions results at this point, however, we are not sure which auctions this person is referring to.
sarahc484
12/18/18

I cannot say enough good about Max Sold! From beginning to end they were fantastic. I was faced with clearing out my Mother's apartment by December 31st. I contacted them November 15 and it was all over by December 9th. I think my moment came when I watched the 7ft long buffet go out the door and the buyer questioning his wife as to how they were going to get it in the house. I thought to myself "not my problem" . I was overwhelmed and under a time crunch and did not want to pay storage fees or another month's rent. Maxsold made it easy.

patricka164
12/16/18

I have made several purchases through MaxSold and have had nothing but great experiences. The workers at he pick-up locations have always been helpful and professional. Thank you

eleanord7
12/13/18

A few other things I did not mention. I did not like people rummaging through my house looking for stuff to take. I found items missing. One man took all my personal books and dictionaries that sure did not look like beer steins. He had to bring them back. All the doors left open in freezing weather. They take any thing that is not nailed down. They got every thing for almost nothing. Worse rip off there is and they got all the money. Imagine, new kitchen items for a few dollars. Almost unheard of.

Tip for consumers: Keep away rip offs and crooks.

Response from MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative
In addition to taking feedback from our Seller’s and doing our best to make it right in their eyes, it’s important to provide the following information for transparency for others that may be reading this. It’s an unfortunate reality that the market doesn’t always pay a seller what a seller thinks is a fair price for individual things (or perhaps even in aggregate) under a competitive auction model (this is true for any auction company). Maxsold does its very best to provide both a detailed outline of our process (www.maxsold.com/sell) and share our past auction data (www.maxsold.com/past) to prepare sellers for the realities of the market when items must be sold. Sellers have both financial and emotional attachments to items and so our job is to sell only those items they need to part with - typically items that will soon be a liability due to a move / sale of real estate / etc. as selling the items avoids additional, ongoing, logistical and/or storage costs. Our model, which includes selling everything to the highest bidder regardless of price, guarantees our sellers a finite and transparent experience that passes the logistical burden onto the buyers as they MUST arrive and remove, with their own resources, all of their purchases from the sellers location during a short time window agreed to by the Seller. This saves hundreds (if not thousands) in labor alone. The other element that impacted this Seller’s result was requiring us to reschedule our team 3 times after we had already incurred costs to have our team on site as they originally requested.

Where other solutions try to control prices while having no control over time of sale, we give the seller control of time while giving up control of price to market competition. For people who have items that will soon cost them to hold onto, this is the most economic (and green) solution to the problem.

Feel free to check out the results of this auction for yourself. As with all our auctions, this auction was executed with unmatched transparently. Additionally, our experience suggests there weren’t other 3rd party sale of goods options for this seller (as others would have denied service or cherry picked goods on the basis of lack of ‘mix/fit/value’ for their models). We are transparent with all our results and, although we are confident that a 3rd party professional appraiser would agree that our results were fair value, we are ultimately sorry that our seller is disappointment in this case:

edgarm57
12/12/18

furniture at a good price. This furniture is very nice and at a good price. Without a doubt a bargain. They can be sold or bought very quickly. my brother happens to be missing some furniture and already has months telling me to get you some cheap, but good quality, no matter they are used but they are in good condition. He is the candidate

soniag37
12/11/18

I went through my closets and garage and cleaned out using MaxSold. Simple process and made money for the holidays!

frankg237
12/11/18

I'm an auction addict but relatively new to Maxsold. Although the site is easy to navigate I've had a few questions and there was an email from Maxsold I needed resent after my computer crashed. The customer service has been outstanding. Maxsold was uber quick to respond to both to my original messages and to the few follow ups that followed.

I've dealt with a couple of other auction houses here in Toronto, the quality of service is sketchy and depends entirely on which employee answers the phone. Sometimes you get lucky, often you don't but I ended up communicating with several of the staff through several emails and all of them were great to me.

Not once did a wait more than a few minutes for assistance. I think that constitutes outstanding customer service.

minc9
12/8/18

It's a good place for sellers who want to sell stuffs quickly and good for buyers who wants to buy used stuffs at good price locally.

youssefe13
12/5/18

Everyday I'm looking t their website to see what things others are selling. Sometimes you find something you need and other time, things you want and is in good condition. Bidding is easy and pick is hassle free

chesters21
12/5/18

Great for locating auctions in close proximity to your location, but also across different states. Ample time to research reasonable sales price for bidding. More times than not, you get better bang for your buck, even with sales fee, tax, etc... plus lots of items boxed together for one price.

glendab52
11/28/18

11/27/2018
I had a great experience the very first time I used MaxSold, and now I'm telling everyone about it. (It's one of those great ideas that I wish I'd thought of first.)

I bought a beautiful 8-person set of dishes (china I plan to use for everyday). When I arrived for the pick-up, it was already boxed for me, and there were two men willing to carry it out to my car! (Of course, the seller invited me to open the boxes and check everything.) I also picked up a crystal platter, still in its original box, and two champagne flutes.

I'm hooked! What a great way to ensure previously-loved items are still being used (making it easier on the sellers), and terrific for young people just starting out to furnish their place at a lower cost, and keeps stuff out of landfill. How much better can it get?

anastasias36
11/22/18

I love using the Maxsold website to find great finds for Christmas, my home, and gifts. The website is easy to use and the staff is super friendly!

romank69
11/22/18

I live it and I need it. I got into MaxSold auction and can't stop. The items offering are usually great and worth much more than you get then for. Ideal for eco buying or resell. Recommend!!

cristinan18
11/21/18

I always have a good experience with Maxsold auctions. Their team is nice, friendly and helpful. Thank you and keep up the good work!

I have bid on items in the next city (approximately 80 kms away) and if you win, you would have to drive to that area to pick up.

By Debbie H.

Please see our past auction results at http://maxsold.com/past-auctions/ - every auction we've done is listed for public viewing. You will see the sell through rate for each auction, and you can calculate the percent sold. Our average sell through is 98.7%.

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative

Definitely not on their youtube channel as they've removed the ability to comment. This alone was enough for me to steer clear.

By Jack H.

Winning bids are charged to the credit card on file right AFTER each auction ends, along with 10% buyers premium and the applicable retail sales tax for your region. The first time you bid at any of our auctions, your card will be pre-authorized for $1.00. However, it is only a bank authorization for validation, not a charge, and it is usually removed in about a week by your bank.

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative

Hi Susan F. In response to your question, "How safe in my credit card information?", it is very safe. I have bid on items and won bids many times and have experienced no problems with my credit card. I trust MaxSold implicitly. Hope this helps. Have a great day! Debbie H. : )

By Debbie H.

We do!

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative

Yes, 30% of the sale and an additional fee. If you use their services, it's an additional $700.

By Scott P.

Yes, please review this link: http://maxsold.com/5-tips-seller-managed-auction/ - our minimum fee for this is $300 (or 30% whichever is higher) Please get in touch with us through www.MaxSold.com/Sell if this interests you.

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative

Please see all details on our website - http://maxsold.com/estatesales/ Average sell rate is nearly 100% depending on the region.

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative

Happened only a few times in the last six years (under four times)! Extremely rare (and a lot of work for us to manage as we have to call each bidder, and issue refunds manually one by one)... doesn't help the seller either as they are stuck with the goods and need to figure out a way to clear them out.

By MaxSold I., MaxSold Representative
Questions? Get answers from the MaxSold staff and other customers.

MaxSold?