Material World

Material World has a consumer rating of 4.53 stars from 839 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Material World also ranks 2nd among Used Clothing sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 91.6%

• Thankfully your wonderful customer service worked with my schedule to give me extra time.
  • I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far.

• I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark.
  • Of course there is no phone number on their website...
How would you rate Material World?

“Love my Material Boxes!”

Dora S.
4/24/19

I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far. I have rejected a few items for fit or style, my stylist always takes my feedback into account for my next box. I have been able to get several NWT or like new dresses from Reformation, A. L. C., and Parker in the $70 - $110 range. I recently splurged and got an amazing suede Burberry Brit moto jacket for $320. The original value would have been well over $1000, so $320 was actually a steal. I have also been trying to send in a few items to trade in every time I receive a box. The payout hasn't been that high for clothing, but it's convenient. I have also been using my trade-in credit towards my box purchases whenever possible. I get additional credit for shopping with my trade-in credit so all-in-all it's very convenient and a smart way to shop for designer pieces. A fun way to continually refresh my closet!

“A MASSIVE waste of time”

Jessica A.
1/3/19

I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark. I was so wrong. It took months to get my offer after sending in my clothes, the offers were ridiculously low ($23 for a pristine Valentino dress? $9 for a nearly-new, once-worn Ted Baker skirt?), and worst of all, they charge a $2 return fee to ship things back that you don't want to donate or for them to buy. Unfortunately I sent them a ton of stuff in my first shipment so it would have actually cost me $36 to have it all shipped back. I ended up just cashing out the very little they offered me and decided to spend the time writing reviews on as many websites as possible. Seriously, don't even waste your time.

customer service (19) material box (11) items (62) style quiz (7) phone number (5) promo code (6) styling fee (5) better business bureau (6) 2 months (4) 4 days (4) style profile (5) 3 items (3)
teodoran2
Verified purchase
Couldn't figure out how to get back to see my style quiz, etc. Not great.
lauras1098
February 3rd, 2020
Verified purchase
I've had trouble getting my account started due to entering a promo code, then it expired before I could finish, but it wouldn't take the promo off, so every time I would try logging out and back in, it still showed invalid promo code. But I finally got a new code, so I got to finish it today!
Reason I chose this business: My neighbor told me about it bc I’m selling some clothing and they suggested you.
elyseg12
April 4th, 2020
Verified purchase
I thought the style quiz was very thorough. Sometimes a button would not show up to prompt me to move forward and I would need to refresh the page or select something even though it said it was supposed to be optional
Reason I chose this business: Instagram ad
martinar24
Verified purchase
It would be nice to be able to choose pieces or at least complete looks on a model to give better direction.
Reason I chose this business: Revamping closet and look
priscillal30
January 4th, 2020
Verified purchase
All I have done is a survey about my clothing preferences and I've placed my order. I wish there was a way to understand how the styling services worked before having to sign up for a box
Reason I chose this business: I needed a change of shopping and styling
isabellae12
Verified purchase
Technically, everything is working fine. I do wish there was something to make me jump into trying a box, like a first time customer thing. It seems like I'm taking a risk; if I don't like my first box I'm canceling because $30 is a lot.
Reason I chose this business: I like designer brand but I don’t want to spend money on it.
kellyc489
January 24th, 2020
Verified purchase
I am a little worried about when the box will come. I want to try it but I am traveling a lot this week.
Reason I chose this business: Stitch Fix kept sending me mom type clothes that I hated.
tiphanys1
June 14th, 2020
Verified purchase
I just started with this COMPANY and I'm waiting to see if your stylist can meet my style expectations
Reason I chose this business: Sometimes it's ok to make a change in life. And since I cant go shopping my self.
shead6
April 6th, 2020
Verified purchase
Reason I chose this business: I was approached by the company. However I do see it as one that matches my personal style
annal387
April 22nd, 2020
caral55
latreseh
Verified purchase
It was good. Just anxious to see what's next
yasmeenc
Reason I chose this business: To try something new but I’m a little weary
debbiec488
July 29th, 2020
Me email stated my first box would be $1. It rang in as $11

Material World attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

stardaishas
March 31st, 2020
Verified purchase
Reason I chose this business: It’s always good to try something new never hurts anyone!
melissab881
March 18th, 2020
Verified purchase
Reason I chose this business: Wanted to try another company for styling. I haven't liked anything so far.

stacyy13
January 31st, 2020
Reason I chose this business: Stumbled upon it online
nourae
January 24th, 2020
Verified purchase
I would have preferred more visual options to brands and descriptions.
Reason I chose this business: I was excited about the idea of receiving a box with set outfits.
keishag167
January 18th, 2020
Reason I chose this business: Something different
erins290
January 15th, 2020
Verified purchase
I've received some items that were very much damaged or missing pieces.
Reason I chose this business: Trying again.
brandin15
January 6th, 2020
Verified purchase
Would like to be able to select more designers that i like
Reason I chose this business: A friend recommended
chloew37
January 4th, 2020
Reason I chose this business: To expand my closet
aneshar
Verified purchase
Reason I chose this business: It popped up on my Instagram and it sounds like a good deal!

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.
See more answers (2)

They received my box end of August. It is now 10/9 and still no offer. Called and they said they are running behind. Wish I never sent anything in.

By Sunny H.
See more answers (2)

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I just did.

By Lise S.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

jonathanl188
Adam G.
COO
Typically responds within 2 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Material World?

Have a question about Material World?