Review of MacMall

Tel: 1-800-MACMALL (622-6255)
customerservice@macmall.com

lauraw350
5/21/19

We called them to talk about ordering a laptop and gave them our credit card info to order. They soon told us that they saw a better, newer product in their inventory that we might like instead. We said that we would think about it and research it, but they were not to place any orders until we got back to them. They agreed and we hung up the phone. We had their number to call them back. In the meantime, we started to consider other options. We did some comparison shopping and discovered they were overpriced and this was not a cheap item or a quick decision to make -- it was a new laptop. During this time while we were deciding, they started ringing our phone off the hook. They must have been getting nervous hoping that they weren't losing a big sale. It was really annoying. Finally, we decided to go with another company that we were more familiar with. But before we got back to them, without our consent, MacMall representatives claimed that we placed an order. They just picked one of the two laptops for us and they placed the order with our card. The price was almost $2000.

We talked to them again to say that we had definitely not decided to order and that they did not have our permission to place the order. They disagreed and said that the laptop was on its way. We said that we wanted to return it. They said no, they did not want to take a return. So, we took the dispute to their payment processor, PayPal. We spent some time going through a resolution process and PayPal was very helpful and orderly with a list of questions, answers and instructions. We received the laptop in the mail -- the computer that we did NOT order -- and we took instructions from PayPal to return it to MacMall's business address that they had on file -- against MacMall's wishes. MacMall gave us the run around refusing to confirm whether or not they received the return, but PayPal determined that they had indeed received the laptop back according to the tracking information. PayPal then forced a refund on MacMall's account and finally, we got our money back.

We cancelled the credit card because some of their comments sounded creepy, especially in light of what they had already done.

Our experience was like walking into a hornet's nest. Their website was not organized as well as some others, their prices were not as good, their customer service representatives did not really understand what they were selling, they were rude, annoying, unprofessional and they used our credit card without permission. If you read this and have already run into trouble like this with them, please don't hesitate to file a dispute with their payment processor. And write a review. People should be protected from predatory business. We decided to go with B&H Photo Video instead - a huge electronics store based in New York. Their prices have always been one of the lowest with no problems, no disputes.

diegog35
5/8/19

Bought flashdrives from them, some didn't even work, some had less GB, package is a little bit different than with flash drives purchased from BestBuy (same model). MacMall sells fake chinese knock-offs and refused to solve the problem

patricki16
10/26/18

On October 20, 2018, I placed an order for item# 41609637 MFrt part number: BX80684I99900K, an Intel i9 9900k boxed processor for $528.99. This item was listed in stock at the time. On the same day, I received an email from a MacMall rep stating that my order was not available and was cancelled and that the "vendor or distributor has notified us that there will be no more shipments and no estimated time of arrival of this product." The very next day on October 21, 2018, the same exact boxed processor with same item number was "in stock" again for $699.99, about a $171 price increase on an item they told me they had no more of and could no longer get anymore of. This feels like a bit of a shady business practice and I want others to know about this. I have the emails and screenshots saved to provide proof. I emailed the rep that contacted me about the cancellation after I saw the drastic price increase, but he never responded.

samuelc118
8/28/18

Ordered on a Sunday and paid an extra $20 and their website said it would arrive Tuesday 8 pm. They charged immediately. Flood of advertisements began immediately. No confirmation email. When I called to get an order number, the phone was answered with a "hello?" and then someone else giving a macmall speil over who knows what. That call was so unprofessional I hung up and went to email. When I finally got to my order info, an extra day added to my order. A day when I'd be out of town and wouldn't have ordered. When I called again, I was getting some explanation about shipping and blah blah blah. This company has been in business how long? And they haven't bothered to program an accurate shipping calculator? Goes to show you how little effort they put into the company. The website looks like it hasn't changed since the 90s;.

justinb169
4/18/18

Placed an order online last night for 2 - iMac's for the business, but since the billing and shipping were different they needed the CFO's home # and name for a credit card in my name. MacMall used to be great, and before they charged sales tax, but after they were bought out by PCM; it has been nothing but a down hill failure.

So, they lost my $$$ and I ordered directly from Apple. Oh look, no calls or emails about the billing being different from the shipping. Go "fly" a kite MacMall, will never order from you again!

freddiec32
3/30/18

Bounced refund check. Did not ship merchandise. No customer service. Do not order from this company. Fraudulent activity. I got a bounced refund check. They cashed my original check and never shipped the merchandise. Then sent me a rubber refund check. Customer service is horrible.

johng573
1/26/18

I ordered 2 graphics cards. I used my UPS Store box which I use for my business and they won't ship to it. I don't want these items sitting on my front porch to be stolen. The UPS box is much more secure but MacMall is scared they will be ripped off. What's the difference between sending it to a home address or UPS Store??? At the store someone signs for it and holds it for me. On my porch anyone can grab it and MacMall gets hit with nondelivery and has to file with UPS of Fedex. Very poor service. They just los a $1100 sale.

scottt104
1/10/18

Ordered 2nd day Saturday delivery, didn't happen. Tried to find out status of order, didn't happen. Tried to cancel order and get conformation, didn't happen. Told to refuse order when delivered that signature would be required. Lucky waited around two days over holidays to not sign and refuse two deliveries, one was dropped without FedEx asking for signature, lucky to flag him down. Now calling not getting any conformation of returned packages. Being told 3-5 days to return, 3-5 day for refund, don't worry, be happy by customer service staff that can barely speak english, just saying. Buy from B&H if you want discount, everything with them went as advertised.

kimv50
12/13/17

I would rather buy from Amazon, the return process is a nightmare. 15% restocking fee. I ordered a router and waned to cancel it literally hours later and they said it was too late and asked me to refuse the package. I could not refuse as it was delivered when I was not home. So learnt my lesson. I would not be buying from them again.

salb18
12/6/17

Doesn't get any worse than this. Stay away! I have never had such a terrible experience with an online store in my life. I did not receive any updates via email. I called the company for a status of my order, every time I would get the same response "it is in our warehouse and will ship when ready. The 4th time I called after 6 days I asked if they actually had it in stock and the rep chuckled and he said you are right we don't have it. I am now waiting for a refund and have lost valuable time/money as the component was crucial to one of our work station.

marcob55
11/28/17

The worst shopping experience ever!!!!! Period. Don't know what more to say then that! In the past it all went good but I'm still busy with my order from a week ago....

colinb63
9/29/17

Terrible company and even worse customer service. Ordered an iPad and they essentially refused a return the item despite the product being defective. Return request was initiated one day after receiving the item and the company stated I must either 1) Go through apple to "verify" the defect or 2) return it directly to Macmall but with a 15% restocking fee . Neither of which is stated on their return policy! Needless to say I'm disputing this entire transaction with my credit card company, this is some really shady business practice and they're making up these return terms on the spot. While I've seen restocking fee's elsewhere, I've never, ever seen it being applied to a defective product or a company asking you to have the OEM look at it. Don't make my mistake, avoid this company at all costs as they don't stand behind their money back guarantee/return policy.

timd69
4/11/17

Trying for a week to get a simple Return Merchandise Auth from this lame company. All they need do is email it to me, but still nothing. BEWARE if you have any issues it will be extremely hard to return it. I ordered a Dell Latitude with Windows 10 but it came as a Windows 7 with a CDROM disc with Windows 10 recovery only. I tried every way possible to install the correct Windows upgrade to no avail. They said it was upgradable free of charge but even the tech department and Dell could not get it up and running so I decided to return it. This company is the hardest company I have every tried to work with to return something. They act all friendly but NOTHING every happens. I have bought through MacMall since the beginning, but NEVER again. The entire company is Asian headquartered and the representatives are almost impossible to understand. There are NO American representatives. Be WARNED DON'T BUY FROM MacMall/PCMall... you will regret it!

davidj246
2/13/17

I started using Mac Mall over three years ago and was originally very pleased with their service. I bought two MacBook Pros, several AppleTVs, and iPads. In the last year or so, I have had more problems than I can count with them. They switched me to a business account, and when I ordered a new AppleTV last year, I received a call from my "business rep" Maxwell Bloom who said I should have ordered from the business site. He "canceled" my original order and reordered it under my business account. I ended up with two (because he didn't cancel the first), and it was like pulling teeth sending the other one back. I recently called Maxwell asking for an Asus ThunderboltEX II card. I specified I didn't want a ThunderboltEX II Dual (which is not compatible with my motherboard), and he assured me it wouldn't be a dual. When the card arrived it was in fact the dual. I have been trying to return it for three weeks. I made the mistake of giving them one last chance today and told him I would order a GA-Z170X-Designare if it could be shipped today. He said it would, and I told him I'd take a Sabertooth Z87 if they had one. He said they did. After I received the order confirmation it showed I was being shipped a SUPERMICRO C7Z87 instead of a Sabertooth Z87 AND the GA-Z170X was on backorder. I left several messages and can't get a return call. The other people at MacMall say I need to talk to him and won't help me.

keb14
2/8/17

They are not based in California, they just have a bs office there for appearances. Their company is in Asia. They engage often in the old bait and switch and send refurbished products as new.

They do not stand behind their products. They have NO AFFILIATION with APPLE. Stating they are an authorized reseller is very misleading.

There are several complaints about credit cards.... guess why??? Because there are so many complaints against them and because the money is processed overseas.

Do your self a favor, pay the extra 10 dollars and go to the apple store.

Dont find out the hard way like I did. I ignored all the bad reviews to literally save a few dollars around Christmas. It is Feb, was told over and over it will be in stock and shipped in 2 weeks. Then, they cancelled the order. Mind you, it was a black friday deal so of course they strung it along so they didnt have to honor their prices.

Company should be investigated. Just do a little work and see all the different names the same company goes by and how many pissed consumers there are. It is a fraud.

masonp17
8/1/16

ordered and it is delivered.

saads6
7/29/16

IT DOSNOT WORK to talk to customer service they are rude and takes over an houre holding on line before i deal with them people i thought they are good store i will never do business agin with them bad product bad customer service

stevej119
5/24/16

I ordered two 3TB hard drives and they were shipped in a plastic bag with no packing material!
One drive was toast. Then they wanted me to spend 20 minutes on hold waiting for a tech support rep to confirm it was bad, email customer service would not take my word for it.
I called and spoke to a live person who was helpful and he sent me a return label.
Both email support and phone support said it would take much longer to process the return because I used PayPal. Why would anybody ship a very fragile piece of electronic gear in a plastic bag? makes no sense, and the customer ends up on the short end of the deal.

jorgeb26
4/27/16

I order a product was in stock three days have passed and still not sent me the order.

Thousand excuses after waiting 45 minutes on the phone and I can not cancel the order either

Stay away from this company.

steveb183
4/22/16

I have placed 4 orders with this company. 3 out of the four orders were backordered (or accessories associated with order). Like many on this review site, the items were noted as "in stock".

Then I get repeated calls asking me if I still want these items (WHY?)

Today I get a call advising me that the order will now take 7 days before it will ship!!! ARRGH!!

When I asked to speak to a supervisor or manager, I get told they are all on the phones (obviously trying to calm angry customers. Then I tired to call back Sales/Customer "care" and after waiting 20 mins finally got a rep and then was told that their computers were down (why am I not surprised).

Obviously this company does not stock any product and is just a front company that uses other sources to fulfill orders.

I am planning on cancelling the latest order. I have been burned enough by this company.

The $3 dollar savings from going to the Apple site is not worth the aggravation!

I will never do business with this company ever again and I advise anyone to not do business with them either. Not much of a cost savings to deal with their incompetence.

wazan
2/12/16

Got a MacBook pro that had apps loaded with an apple id that I had no access to so can't update apps connected to that id. Macmall support was very rude and said they had nothing to do with software, but they're the ones that loaded it!! Now to upgrade anything, I have to purchase it even tho it came preloaded.
DON'T DEAL WITH MACMALL!!! Go directly to Apple. At least they'll support you. But I have a better idea. Go back to windows, less problems.

charlest50
12/29/15

I ordered a Macbook back in 2007 and filed a rebate. I just received a response today 12/26/2015 regarding my rebate. Are you kidding me?

Response from Vanessa L., MacMall Representative
We received your review regarding our website. However, we need additional information regarding the issue you encountered with your order. We would appreciate if you can send the details to customerservice@macmall.com.

jackt52
12/28/15

on the site it stated that the HP computer was in stock and ready for overnight shipping and its and called me the next day and stated that its in back order so I never got the PC in time and still waiting.

lisat94
12/24/15

I ordered a TV for a Christmas present and it never came. So I called and they told me it will be a week after Christmas before they send it but gave me no real reason. I will never buy anything from this company again. First of all it should've came when it said and secondly after I called they could've overnighted it but wouldn't. So not only did I get the worst service ever but you ruined my Christmas.

carah10
12/8/15

Ok, I placed 3 orders during thanksgiving. Missed one call, one of those orders were cancelled. Yes, they double check everything with you multiple times. That's all right I understand. Then I have one of the orders shipped to my company address instead of my apt. Cancelled without notice. Finally, my one last order that was confirmed via phone, they asked toooo many personal information that I almost want to give up. They told me est. arriving date is Dec. 5. OK, now, I've been waiting for 2 weeks, no updates. And the shipping status is officially 'on back order'. Well done! I will never buy anything from this site anymore. Terrible.

Response from Vanessa L., MacMall Representative
Dear Valued Customer,

www.macmall.com

Questions? Get answers from the MacMall staff and other customers.

MacMall?