Review of Lyft

San Francisco, CA 94104
support@lyft.com

janes91
3/2/15

I switched to lyft when I was offered a $200 credit for trying the app. I use Uber at least once a month so I figured I'd try them out. First, the credits expired within a few weeks which is fine but who would ever take that many rides in 2.5 weeks. False advertising if you ask me. But anyway, I used the service and they charge your account $25 dollars in a pre-activation fee to make sure my card is legitimate. They did it for every "free" ride I took. In one night I had $75 worth of pending charges on my account to cover three $5 rides. It's been several days now and the charges have not been cleared off. Now I have to worry if my payments will go through on that card and not knowing when the money will be free to use. I'm a student, $75 is a lot to hold in my account. Ill never use lyft again.

ewisb
2/22/15

Lyft is a horrible company! They treat their drivers, who are supposed to be their partners, like slaves. That's because they don't invest a single penny in them. They take them for granted. I worked for that company one WEEK only and they fired me for 0.1 point of rating below their standard rating. In the meantime, I received an email from them confirming that I was deactivated for the age of my car. Based on this email, I got a car loan and bought a $10,000 car. However, they refused to reactivate me and acted as if they never sent me anything. Screw their app! They are nothing but an opportunistic and exploitative company!

kristianr
2/16/15

Overcharged my ride by 25% first time and then 100% the second time. Simply put, the application does not work how it is advertised.

kimberlyt12
1/30/15

Lyft has always been good to me. Their drivers are friendlier on average than Uber and the service doesn't seem quite so much out to take money from their customers.

Tip for consumers: Lyft line is a good way to save money if you're not in a hurry.

tigerh
1/29/15

Received $5 cancellation fee when the driver didn't show up on time and didn't pick up the phone. Lyft had been fine in the past. Let's see if they fix this.

davidy25
1/22/15

I would love it if Lyft were successful, because I think competition is good. Problem is, I think they will fail as Uber provides a much higher level of customer service and is far more professional. Lyft has many issues, but one of them is their 'Primetime' pricing which is calculated in a much more customer unfriendly way than Uber. As an example, if Uber says 'Surge pricing' is 150% it means that if the normal rate is $10, you will pay $15. That makes sense to me. With Lyft, when they say 'Primetime pricing' is 150%, it means that if the normal rate is $10, you will pay $25, that is, nearly double what you would pay on Uber. And in my market, UberX is 20% cheaper than Lyft to begin with. Add in all the attitude with Lyft (fist bumps, I am supposed to be friends with my driver) -- higher prices for an inferior product. Finally, customer service at Lyft is surly and basically non-existent.

angeliquel
12/27/14

WFREE promo codes for UBER AND LYFT- 2014 ---up to date!!
Free $25 credit for your first ride with either company!!!
Just download the app and dont forget to put in the code under payment ..or promocode at the top =)

justinl44
11/17/14

Firstly there is the service. One day you might get a ride with someone who speaks the same language as you and is driving a clean vehicle that isn't dented, rusting or doesn't stink like the 9th circle of hell inside but that will be a RARE day if you ever do. Secondly, If you find yourself outside of their preferred pick up areas, you are not going to get a ride or you will wait longer than you wold have for a taxi or legal rideshare. Third, THERE IS NO INSURANCE. Lyft is falsely advertising that they actually have insurance, their TOS page invalidates any and all coverage for you once you get in the vehicle. Fourth, their surge pricing scam is obviously NOT about a lack of supply or demand or they wouldn't be dropping the surge price once a few of their drivers have picked up people at THREE times the normal rate in the same area. It is a method of keeping their vehicles in one area so Uber can collect more fees from their drivers. It has nothing to do with customer service or actual demand and it destroys the green factor of the service as it puts twice as many vehicles on the road than would be needed. This isn't even a real rideshare company. It is just a crappy point to point service. If you do not care about your own safety or the safety of those you travel with or the planet, this is the service for you.

rosannyf
10/12/14

I'm normally an UBER user however; I was sent an invitation for LYFT which included three rides $25 each. Friday I decided to see what LYFT was all about.
My normal fare for this particular route is normally $40-45 LYFT charged me $71 almost double. UBER has great customer service whenever you contact them the respond within 24 hours. I cannot say the same for LYFT they have yet to address the issue of them overcharging me for the ride. I spoke to some other people i know and they've had similar issue with LYFT. LYFT is a SCAM & they need to be addressed about their bad business practices.

robertw112
10/11/14

Worked well for me when I was in San Francisco about a year ago, I'd definitely recommend it in the city. Drivers were interesting and rides were cheap!

duncanr10
10/11/14

What an appalling service. I cannot begin to describe the frustration and fury I felt when I was taken to completely the wrong destination. I attempted to contact them but they did not return my many emails.

glennt12
10/11/14

pretty good but they are like the downgraded version of uber, cars are a little bit more old and you can tell that they are still figuring it out. I would travel in pairs as it the drivers can be somewhat weird. not bad on pricing, good if you can't get a taxi.

steved56
10/6/14

LYFT is very stupid! They say one thing and do another! Their application system always crashes and then they try to assure you that everything works fine! They don't really have a handle on what they are doing. For example, their stupid so called "mentors" are stingy, judgmental and not friendly. They tell you: "they have enough qualified drivers", but yet they harass you, by texting and emailing you; asking you to join their team (because they don't know what the hell they are doing!). Total contradiction. They are a very very stupid ride sharing company. I hate that their stupid pink mustache. They are not in touch with their drivers or customers, as far as I am concerned!

oliviam13
10/3/14

I have used Lyft two times and almost a third. The first time ever using it, I was forced to pay 50% extra of my bill to "encourage more people to drive". I had a job interview and no other way to get to it so I had to pay. On the way back, luckily I wasn't forced to pay extra, but my bill for two 20 min rides was over $40. The third trip I planned on taking told me I had to pay 100% more to "encourage people to drive". That is absolutely insane! I am a college student! This trip was 30 min drive both ways meaning, plus the 100% extra, the trip would be over $80! I would rather walk both ways! I understand it can be busy, but not even telling me how much the trip should about cost and then forcing me to pay so much extra is horrific!

michelleb71
9/28/14

Tonight my daughter was abandoned by Lyft. Three times her ride was cancelled. The fourth message she received stated that her ride cost would increase by 200%!!! She was in a completely unfamiliar town. She took Lyft there, so it was completely appropriate to think she wouldn't have a problem to return home. She went back into the venue and was informed of a train departing in 22 minutes, the last one of the night, but she was 20 minutes away. She ran there only to find that was bad information...the last train had already left. My now hysterical daughter called me...frantic, not knowing how she'd get home. Thankfully she found a cab who charged her $100 for a 25 minute drive to the train station. I'm hundreds of miles away, waiting to hear she has safely returned home. What a disgrace. Clearly Lyft is an unreliable company. She will stick with Uber in the future.

gohark
7/4/14

I applied in Lyft just for little bit change in my driving career. Its been 20 years I am driving taxi with local cab company's in Denver metro area. After 2 days I got an email something went wrong with my back ground and I am not able to work in Lyft as a driver. I was wondering why and called them and talked to a person finally because its is hard to get hold of any person if you have any questions, which is bad service I would say and I told them I am a driver and have a Airport badge to work at Airport but who cares no proper answer, Still waiting for their answer. Then I applied in Uber X my background was fine, I was wondering what's wrong with these people. I wasted my time I would suggest you please don't waste you time lyft. It's is very cheap company have No customer service at all, No business experience and un professional people are running this company. I would rate Lyft 0 as of my experience.

paulm141
6/8/14

i as a driver for lyft, but before i became a driver i had to buy a car, insure it, w/down payment i was out 3,200 then first week i receive a notice that i will be deactivated if i fall below 4.6 10 days later i was deactivated, and they did not even wan't to work with me, they just said no were done with you. so now i have a car payment, inc payment, and bills piling up because of no job, they should learn to work with there drivers, after all we are the most important operation to there business, they are nothing without us drivers, someone should tell them that before its too late.

bobj50
6/2/14

They don't pick you up their drivers ate being given tickets in SLC Utah that cost the driver 7000

lindaj30
5/5/14

The review about left dropping is true. I worked for them for only 6 days and got deactivated within two days without giving you a chance to fix your rating. But it is a good thing I don't work there no more because of insurance. They don't tell you that you have to change your insurance to a business insurance which will cost you in the thousands. If you get into in accident with your basic insurance, your insurance will drop you in a heartbeat, and won't pay anything. And who knows what left will do if your insurance drops you. Anyone and I mean anyone who is driving for left now or thinking about it call your insurance immediately don't wait till you have an accident. The passenger can use you an not just the company.

hardworkingd
3/31/14

Lyft sucks! They will terminate you as a driver for no reason and no notice in advance. When you ask "Why", they will send you an email full of lies. Stay away from Lyft. They are very shady, dishonest, and unprofessional. They steal earnings from their drivers and they cheat their customers as well. Use or apply at Uber, Sidecar or even a taxi instead. I've had awful experience with them.

mickp6
1/25/14

I mostly enjoy taking Lyfts. They don't gauge you like Uber does when demand goes up. The bad part is that it can be really hard to get a driver sometimes. I like Lyft drivers better than Uber drivers and taxi drivers by a mile.

hansonu
8/5/13

Lyft is a neat new ride sharing service that works like a taxi but an ordinary person drives you around. I tried it for the first time last week and it was a lot of fun and a good deal. It's a little bit cheaper than a taxi. The slightly odd part is that you're not supposed to sit in the back seat instead you sit in the front seat and talk to the driver just like it were your friend. My driver was cool so I didn't mind but I could imagine it could be weird with a bad driver. Anyhow it's a nice service and worth trying!

rogerr22
5/9/13

Lytf is a new kind of taxi service where a regular person in their car (usually adorned with a giant pink mustache on the grill) picks you up and gives you a ride somewhere and then you give a "donation". It works through an app on your phone. The app is only so-so designed; as of the writing of this review it requires Facebook to sign in. And the map thing is a bit finicky. In my experience it is a little bit cheaper than a regular taxi, but there aren't always drivers available. But the idea is good and hopefully will bring down taxi fares. It also seems like a reasonable way to make some extra money driving people around if you have some free time and don't mind driving around strangers. I should also mention there is a review system for drivers AND passengers so it puts some pressure on people to be nice.

88 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

They randomly out of the blue deactivated my account. This was there explanation. we found your account to be violating our Terms of Service and you will no longer be able to use the Lyft platform. I can honestly I have not violated anything so clearly there is something wrong with there information but the worst thing is they dont even tell you what the problem is. Oh well guess take my business to uber instead.

By samta v.

Lft runs different promotions and depending on promotion they promise a signup bonus(500-1100$).now if they really pay the bonus it's totally up to their discretion.in my case they didn't pay. I completed the 60 Rides required in the first 30 days,which was the requirment to qualify for the bonus but they still didn't pay.after a brief email exchange with a lyft employee(they do not give their position or full name) they stopped answering.now I am filing a complain with BBB and I will let you know where it goes when I have updates.

By Constantin R.

Lyft's customer service is terrible. If they won't correct it, file a dispute with your credit card company.

By david y.

I hope you haven't started doing this. Reading the reviews I can tell both Uber or Lyft are shanty style of business. It was very surprising that new generations with ultra modern technologies has no concept of human factors in their business model. The drivers are simply robots to generate revenues to them. I drove Uber for two months and couldn't take their lies and manipulation. Please don't waste time whether it is Lyft or Uber. You won't even make one tenth of the minimum wage while taking all the insult and humiliation.

By Jon W.

You made a sound decision. Anyone who can maintain two dollars of checking account balance it is not worth doing. Driving for ride sharing business is the last resort for desperate people. Some reason the misleading hype has spread out of proportion nationwide.

By Jon W.

I guarantee try Lyft and Try Uber and Lyft BLOWS UBER AWAY ! SAFER DRIVERS, MUCH BETTER SCREENED IN PERSON BY THE WAY, ACTUAL TRAINING WITH A MENTOR, BETTER DRIVER PERKS AND SUPPORT .... DRIVERS MUCH NICER AND HAPPIER THAN UBER DRIVERS..... UBER NEEDS TO GET A HANDLE ON THEIR HIRING PROCESS AND BACKGROUNDS CHECKS AND START GETTING PERSONABLE WITH THEIR PERSPECTIVE DRIVERS.... BY SCREENING THEM PERSONALLY JUST BY LOOKING AT SOMEONE YOU CAN TELL IF THEY ARE OFF OR NOT MENTALLY AND OF THEY SHOW ANY SIGNS I WOULD FAIL THE PERSON IMMEDIATELY. .... NO QUESTIONS ASKED. UNTIL UBER MAKES THESE CHANGES I WON'T SET FOOT IN AN UBER VEHICLE...... LYFT DOES HAVE BETTER SERVICE OVERALL FOR BOTH DRIVERS AND CUSTOMERS..... UBER CLEAN UP YOUR ACT. IF YOUR A FEMALE DAYS ARE SAFER IN GENERAL EARLY EVENING BUT AFTER 9 PM ALL BETS ARE OFF.... REMEMBER IT'S YOUR CAR SO YOU CAN TURN DOWN A RIDE ANYTIME IF YOU FEEL UNSAFE MAKING THE PICK UP..... THE BEST PERSON TO PROTECT YOU IS YOU.

By Carlos R.

They have to approve your character/personality. Smile more often, tell a joke next time around. Make sure your car is in top shape, clean, a/c working/heater working. Check all light signals are working. Too many details they check off on.

By Wilson T.

To tell you the truth, drunk people at night are the worst... more likely to get a 1 star to 3 stars frankly because they don't care and not paying attention so much to the rating system, i.e. not thinking. If you maintain your courtesy and are friendly and provide any useful information requested from a rider or simply tell a story about something positive happening in the city that day or smile often, just don't be creepy. Can get you to 5 stars more often and be familiar with your city.

By Wilson T.

Both are covered, read the terms to be sure.

it's too late.

By Wilson T.
Questions? Get answers from the Lyft staff and other customers.

6 Photos for Lyft